• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Extra wideouts and DRC’s look

Posted by Darren Urban on October 21, 2010 – 2:17 pm

Nothing changed on the injury front for the Cards today. The injury report remains the same, and nothing has changed my opinion that WR Steve Breaston will play this Sunday but it feels a lot more wait-and-see for WR Early Doucet and LB Gerald Hayes. The same goes for Doucet, by the way. “You don’t want to go back out there too soon and have a setback,” Doucet said. “We’ll take it one day at a time. (Today) felt good. I wasn’t sore after practicing (Wednesday) and I am continuing my treatment. I am doing real good compared to most people who have had the surgery.”

– Coach Ken Whisenhunt said he doesn’t know the odd receiver out yet when Doucet and Breaston are for sure back (figuring Onrea Jones probably released, and then six WRs for five active spots on game day). “It’ll depend on the plan, where we see guys fitting in. It’ll be a week-to-week thing based on how they fit. It’s a good problem to have.”

– Whisenhunt, talking about Hayes’ return off the PUP list, said he once had to do the same during his playing career six weeks in. “You can think you are ready, but the game speed is something different.”

– Whiz said “it appears that way” when asked about QB Max Hall getting comfortable with receivers he hasn’t spent much time with in Breaston and Doucet. But those guys are limited, too. “But I think back to training camp, and Max has had reps with all these guys,” Whiz added. “I don’t see it being an issue.”

– Finally, there was this sequence during a media moment with cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. A reporter asked DRC if, given the crackdown on defenders for unnecessary hits, he would think twice about “administering a vicious hit.” DRC’s look to the side at the reporter was priceless, a very “are you kidding me?” stare. Personally, I stifled a chuckle. This is DRC we were talking about, with remnants of nail polish visible on his toes during the interview. DRC has played Pro Bowl football and is a good cornerback — but no one is ever going to confuse him with Adrian Wilson or Rodney Harrison.

Even DRC knows that. “Ain’t got to worry about that from me,” he said, shaking his head. Later, I wanted to clarify he was thinking the same as me. Yep. “That’s not me.”

So there’s one DB free from potential suspension.

Tags: , , , , , ,

33 Responses to “Extra wideouts and DRC’s look”

1. By Tyrelle on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

I don’t think Doucet will play this week. Having Breaston back is huge.

2. By MikeFlorio on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

DRC Is the jury still out on his shutdown status??? I think that he really hasnt been that much of a playmaker on that side of the field. Considering the amount of pass play deflection that toler has, and the lack of shutdowning corners DRC has on long 3rd downs. My guess is the jury is still in session

3. By Ben on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

Doucet doesn’t want to rush because he might get hurt. Classic…

4. By MikeG on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren–I think the Cards have to be aware of Lawyer Milloy this week. He has been a disruptive player for the Hawks this year. In the past we have gotten off to quick starts against this team. Hopefully that will continue this year as well. Must heep Forsett under control I think the Cards will use alot of silent counts this week. We must keep our penalties down playing on the road. Special teams must be big this week–Go Hyphen!! Darren–Why has their been so many big plays on special teams this year in the NFL–plenty of kick returns?? I thought –with the NFL eliminating the wedge on special teams–I would of thought teams would struggle in the return game?? Seems the opposite has happened –big kickoff returns!!!

5. By Darren Urban on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

MikeG –

RE: KO returns

Planning a note on that tomorrow.

6. By MikeG on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

Darren–Sounds good –I’ll look forward to reading it tomorrow!! When they say special teams is a third of the game- their not kidding. I think special teams have had the most impact this year than all my years of watching football. I just don’t see any Ron Wolfley’s, Bill Bates, Steve Taskers, Hank Bauer’s etc.. anymore??? Some of these special teamers today–don’t want to stick their head there and take the contact!!

7. By brad oneill on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

Michael Adams was quoted as saying ‘Im just glad they aren’t fining for helmet to cup contact”

8. By Ross on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

Do you expect Hightower’s role to continue to diminish? If so, I think that is a big mistake. Somers says that he may be losing his edge, as he was responsible for three sacks in the Saints game. I still think he is being underutilized. The guy caught 60+ balls last year and has three runs over fifty yards in his last, what 100 carries. What gives?

9. By Cards4Ever on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

Hey D,

In the ESPN article about Hall, they mentioned something about what Max had said to his teammates when he first took the huddle.. The fellas wouldn’t give that chick the inside information, but I know you can get it! I have to know what Max Hall said to them!

10. By Darren Urban on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

Ross –

RE: Hightower

I don’t know. But things always can change. Its a what have you done for me lately league.

11. By chad d. on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

i still to this day think we missed out on steve baggs. has anyone seen the dudes highlight reel on youtube? big playmaker. dudes a beast on the field.

12. By Dre on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

I wouldn’t suspect Steve Breaston would miss this game even if he wasn’t 100%. This is the most important game of the first half of the season for the Cardinals. Since Breaston is the second most experience WR on our team it is vital that he suit up…not to mention Seattle is 30th in pass defense, giving up 290 yard a game. I think it is critical that we take what they seem to give up and Breaston might present the best match-up.

Despite giving up so many yard on pass defense they are currently #2 in rush defense. The ability to be able to run in this game will be the key to a win. If we are able to control clock with the run and then take advantage of their poor pass coverage with our UNDRAFTED ROOKIE QB, we might be able to come out of their with a critical game one lead on Seattle.

I hope the bye pays off in preparing the offense of line and backs in blitz pick-up. You have to know they are coming after our QB because that is the best thing they do…(tied 6th w/ 17 sack) we have a rook @ QB and also to hide where they are vulnerable, pass coverage.

If the defense show up which I hope they do since that is where all the money has been spent…we should be able to handle thier run and pass game. Seattle WRs don’t scare me…if we can’t handle rookie WR Golden Tate, 2nd yr WR Deon Butler and WR Mike Williams then we should give up trying to win this division. Seattle’s rushing attack is a mere 30th out of a 32 team league, need I say more.

Personally, I want to see what Porter does in this game. I hope G Hayes can make his debut, if nothing more then a morale boost on the road aganist a division opponent. I think Early Doucet needs to wait until he is 100%. We are going to need him during our winnable six game stretch after the Viking game.

13. By ross on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

Darren, have you spoken to Tim? Does he know what his role is?

14. By Darren Urban on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

Ross –

RE: Hightower

Nothing has really changed, other than Beanie is healthy. I’m not sure why there is suddenly so much concern on your part.

15. By Matt on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

Darren

Do you think Komar will get many more reps this year with the return of Breaston, Doucet, and Roberts doing the punt returns? And how would you compare him to Lance Long, the preseason standout from a year ago.

16. By Phoenixraven1 on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

Either way Whiz loves te two back system, play the hot hand, etc etc…Timmy’s not going anywhere!

17. By Chris Nelson on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

Isnt it funny how when Tim gets the majority of carries, everyone crys because Wells isnt the feature back, now that Hightower isnt getting the majority share of carries they cry because Tim isnt being used…

Cant they just leave well enough alone and TRUST in the Head Coach’s decisions?

18. By EDijkstra on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

I happened to be in Seattle and heard Mitch Levy’s show on KJR. They are giddy up their over Marshawn Lynch (one of the best running backs in the NFL) and the Seahawks’ road win against Chicago. All four members of their Seahawks round table pick the Seahawks to win big, really big on Sunday. A replay is here: http://www.kjram.com/cc-common/mediaplayer/player.html?redir=yes&mps=mitchplayer.php&mid=http://media.ccomrcdn.com/media/station_content/645/Seahawks_Round_Table_10-21_1287680620_12758.mp3?CPROG=PCAST?CCOMRRMID&CPROG=RICHMEDIA&MARKET=SEATTLE-WA&NG_FORMAT=&NG_ID=&OR_NEWSFORMAT=&OWNER=&SERVER_NAME=www.950kjr.com&SITE_ID=645&STATION_ID=KJR-AM&TRACK=

19. By Darren Urban on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

Matt –

RE: Komar

I think he is better than Long. But he does have an uphill battle with the rest of the receivers.

20. By Eazy E on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

Mike Florio-
    DRC is a great cornerback and a shutdown type of guy he hasn’t had balls thrown his way, but their starting to come his way and all I can say for the opposition is uhhh ohhh and Darren did DRC lose a bet or something with the nail polish?

21. By Cameron on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

MikeFlorio
    its hard to get as many deflections or ints when the ball isnt thrown your way. the teams are scared to throw it his way because they know every throw has a chance of being picked off if he is close. being a shutdown corner doesnt mean that you are always making plays on the ball its that your keeping your reciever from making plays on the ball.

22. By ross on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren and everyone else,
    Timmy is my fav cardinal, so it bums me out a bit when he doesn’t see the ball…especially when the future face of the franchise gets it 20 times.
    I just like the guy and don’t think he gets the love he deserves…
    He is the underdog! And when he breaks 80 yarders, its just awesome to see.

23. By John M on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

I have that “nervous” feeling that is building up about this game (which generally is a good thing). Are the players showing more “focus” for this game as opposed to the previous 5 games ? I just wanted to know if you sense anything in the locker room or notice a change in the attitude of the guys this week. I’d love for them to come out and fire on all cylinders this week. Most every “expert” gives the Cardinals little to no chance at all at winning in Seattle. (Just the way I like it)

24. By Darren Urban on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

Eazy –

RE: DRC’s toes

Uh, no. It’s not a one-time thing, actually.

25. By Darren Urban on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

John M –

RE: “Focus”

Honestly, I have found little correlation with something like that during the week and game day. It seems like any other week to me.

26. By brad oneill on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

darren i cant believe we haven’t had a story focusing on why our shut down corner wears toe nail polish?

maybe it protects him from turf toe?

maybe don’t ask don’t tell?

27. By We'll miss Q on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

DRC is a GOOD cover guy and great playmaker with the ball in his hands. He is NOT and NEVER has been a “shut down corner”. He is way too undisciplined, misses too many assignments and refuses to help in run support. You need all those things to consider yourself a “shut down corner”. He is not in the top 5 and probably not in the top 10 in the league. Asoumgha(sp?), Revis, Woodson, Bailey. the OTHER Cromartie, Assante Samuel, Nate Clements, Antoine Winfield,Deangelo Hall, Carlos Rogers and Mike Jenkins are all better corners in my opinion than DRC.

DRC is fast, and runs great with the ball, but he is too selfish and immature right now to be considered great. How would everyone feel if, when he was SHOWBOATING with the ball at the end of the N.O game and someone stripped him of the ball, and gave it back to the saints and we lost?

28. By Darren Urban on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

Brad –

RE: DRC

Maybe for the same reason he has worn kiddie backpacks in the past or pajamas to the facility before Saturday walkthroughs. Because he is DRC.

29. By Brad ONeill on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

darren- i think DRC’s antics are great, maybe they should sell mini cards back packs at the cardinals store with his number on them.

30. By Eazy E on Oct 23, 2010 | Reply

DRC is some character
    We’ll miss Q-
    He’s not better than Clements, Winfield, Hall, and Rogers you’re crazy. He’s up there with the best CBs asomugha, revis, woodson, bailey, mike jenkins, all of them he’s in there PERIOD!!!

31. By Eazy E on Oct 23, 2010 | Reply