Noise and practice, signifying nothing (with the rehabbed)

Posted by Darren Urban on October 22, 2010 – 1:14 pm

No announcements yet on who is playing and who isn’t playing, which really is no surprise. Coach Ken Whisenhunt said after practice wide receivers Steve Breaston and Early Doucet will be checked out both Saturday and before the game before a decision is made. As for linebacker Gerald Hayes, he has to be put on the active roster first, and that can come no later than 1 p.m. Saturday. My guess? If Hayes is activated, he’s going to play, because otherwise, you might as well keep the roster flexibility another week while Hayes sits.

I am still pretty confident Breaston plays. Doucet has looked better, but I want to wait and see. And I wouldn’t be surprised if they hold off on Hayes for a week (although I won’t be shocked to see him play either).

– LB Will Davis (groin) was added to the injury report as questionable. Also questionable besides Breaston and Doucet are DE Kenny Iwebema (knee) and LB Reggie Walker (ankle).

– When everyone starts getting healthy, however, the eight-man inactive list (OK, seven, since third QB John Skelton will always be there) will be difficult to make.

“That’s a good problem to have,” Whisenhunt said. When you look at inactive list, especially with receivers, you think back to the first game. Larry (Fitzgerald) wasn’t 100 percent and three rookies were running around. It’s a lot different. Those (rookies) are a lot more comfortable, have a lot of plays under their belt. The decisions will be tough because now, you’re not sitting down a rookie, you are sitting down someone who has gotten reps and who you are comfortable with.”

– The Cardinals spend part of practices every week with simulated crowd noise, but they did try to ramp it up a little this week with the trip to Seattle (nice job, king of fake crowd Nate LoCascio).

“We’ve obviously tried to make it as loud as we could, to simulate it and make it as tough as you can,” Whisenhunt said. “We didn’t handle the noise as well earlier this year (on the road) and you could see as the week progressed that we got a little better in practice. That doesn’t mean we will do well in the game, but it at least helped prepare us.”

Tags: , , , , , ,

38 Responses to “Noise and practice, signifying nothing (with the rehabbed)”

1. By Cards4Ever on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

This is the week Joey Porter shows up.

Prediction: Joey Porter 2 sacks and a fumble recovery.

Cardinals 29 Seattle 10

2. By Tyrelle on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. They made it loud as it could be. I’m glad to see that they progressed as practice went on.

3. By Scharf on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

I think so too Cards4Ever, I actually predict Joey to get about three sacks, but maybe one of those causes the fumble in which Rhodes picks up yet again for the TD! What a playmaker he has been for the Cardinals, ever since he arrived I’ve been wanting to see him on the feild and just wow what an effort he gives, perfect compliment to A-Dub.

Do you see Breaston with another 100 yard game? and if activated does Hayes really bring more than both Lenon and Washington?

Thanks!
    Scharf

Cardinals 28 – Seahawks – 17

4. By Darren Urban on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

Scharf —

RE: Breaston/Hayes

No idea what Breaston will do. That’s a crapshoot dictated by the game. As for Hayes, I think he adds more to the run defense than Washington probably does, once Hayes is ready.

5. By R Robles on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

I think everybodys ready to take control of the West baby Go cards lets do this

6. By Tommy on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

I would love to see both Porter and Williams make big plays this week. What I would love even more is to see Dockett and Soup (C Campbell) apply constant pressure and FORCE turnovers!

7. By Secret on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

How do they simulate crowd noise in practice? Does the coaching staff scream on the top of their lungs during pre-snap?

8. By Secret on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

Oh, and cardinals win in a blow out.

Cards 41 – Hawks 6

9. By David Corcoran on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

Nice Macbeth reference. I think.

10. By Brad ONeill on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

Hey darren if the cards need someone to come in and simulate a heckler i would be happy to do it.

“Hey dockettsworth, nice contract you planning to play football this year”

Beanie two yards a carry? well at least you arent dropping it as often.

Max, maybe you should throw a touchdown before you start working on your leadership?

Fitz- I am beginning to wonder if maybe boldin wasn’t the real star.

DRC- nice toe nails you nancy.

hey porter- maybe you wouldn’t be out of breath by the time the game starts if you just shut up.

ok thats as mean as i get.

ps i love these guys and am just trying to help motivate them.

11. By Darren Urban on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

Secret —

RE: Noise

Actually, they bus in 3,000 elementary school children and tell them to have at it.

12. By Darren Urban on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

David —

RE: Macbeth

We’re efforting here at azcardinals.com.

13. By Voice of Reason on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

I’d LOVE to see Porter come up with 2 sacks. But right now I need to see it to believe it. Right now, he looks done. And there was no bigger fan (outside of 9-0) that wanted him here than me.

C’mon 55, get pissed. Prove me wrong. Your time now.

14. By Tyler on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I read everything you write. I haven’t read this article yet but I wanted you to know I love this headline. I generally like your headlines but this one might be on another level.

15. By Jahstone on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

3000 elementary school kids…LOL.

16. By Chuck on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

Work with me here as I construct a scenario that gets Skelton off of the Practice Squad and to #2:

Hall suffers an injury, either in a game or practice, to such an extent that DA has to play a whole or significant part of a game. He either loses a lead that the Cards have been able to get or cannot bring the Cards back from a deficit that they had or he caused.

With the Division Championship in jeopardy, Graves and Whiz finally agree to tacitly admit that Skelton gives the team a better opportunity to win than DA and VOILA, move DA to the Practice Squad and promote Skelton to #2.

Oh well, I can dream, can’t I?

Before anyone thinks that I want Hall to be injured, get that out of your head!!!

17. By MikeG on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren–Do you think the Cards should play more man-to man press coverage against the Hawks receivers?? I would not play too much zone in this game. Must sell out to stop their 2 runners. Their receivers are not their strength–I would put DRC and Toler one on one with this group. Your thoughts??

18. By Dylan on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

if they really did bring in 3000 elementary kids if i was a player i think i would be laughing harder then trying to concentrate

19. By Darren Urban on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

Chuck —

RE: Dream

Not to burst your bubble, but Anderson is not practice-squad eligible.

20. By Darren Urban on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

MikeG —

RE: coverage

I leave such decisions to coaches. I wouldn’t pretend to know either way.

21. By Brad ONeill on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

i think there is a better chance of us seeing jamarcus russel throwing for the team than skelton unless there are two qb injuries in a game. not that there is anything wrong with skelton, he is just too raw at the moment. if we lose hall or derrick for any length of time the cards will bring in someone else.

22. By Dre on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren–

Kent Somer reported that Seattle might start Walter Thurmond, a rookie cornerback due to a hamstring injury to starter Kelly Jennings. Do you know who he would be match-up against Fitz or Breaston ( best guess)…give Breston will play.

Heck, I would be happy if Porter just put a hand on the QB when he drops back to pass. Skip a sack, I’m satisfied with some hurries, some knock-downs and good ‘ol fashion pressure. Anything besides allowing the QB to have all the time in the world to pick and choose his targets.

Ok, maybe I would like to see one good hit on the QB just to say, HELLO…”Is it me your looking for.” You remember the classic from Lionel Richie.

23. By Darren Urban on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

Dre —

RE: Seahawks CBs

Usually, I’d guess they’d move him around. Either way, I like Fitz or Breaston against a rookie.

24. By MikeG on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren–Nice piece on the special teams–and all these returns throughout the league. Interesting to hear Jason Wright’s comments. I hope Sunday we see some big returns– all going our way. Hopefully Feely can kick a few in the end zone for touchbacks. I believe that is the best way to cover a kick–having a kicker with a BIG leg. I have been impressed with Feely so far–I believe we are going to need him big this week! I’m going Cards–20 Hawks 16!!! Enjoy the game!

25. By Richard S on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

I know this sounds the opposite of what’s done, but instead of practicing with noise, you could have the same effect if everyone practiced with earplugs. You’d have lowered the hearing threshold, and then maybe you could throw some noise in.

26. By Too Embarrassed To Reveal Identity on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

I am not the king of context in typing. Do they really get the kids or is there another way? This one is flying a few inches above my head

27. By Chuck on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

Obviously, I wasn’t aware that DA was not PS eligible.
    Why is that?
    Are all “starters” e.g. Levi Brown, Joey Porter, DRC and Fitz ineligible for the PS or what is the determining factor?
    Re: Skelton’s rawness; If he isn’t any better than that after all these months, he should be released. Why is Max’s “rawness” quotient so much higher?

28. By MikeG on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren–Also Did you see Stevie Baggs?? –he’s playing for Hamilton in the CFL –he has an 80 yard fumble recovery for a touchdown–his second return on the season for a TD and an interception!! –he seems to be a big player in that league??? Shame he didn’t work out for the Cards –especially with the Cody Brown situation.

29. By Darren Urban on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

Too Embarrassed —

RE: Crowd noise

They use a stereo system and a CD of crowd noise.

30. By Darren Urban on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

Chuck —

RE: PS/Skelton

You can’t have played in a full NFL season (games-wise) before losing eligibility. The practice squad isn’t supposed to be for stashing players, it’s supposed to be for developing young players who haven’t made it yet.

As for Skelton, you want to cut a raw prospect already. No one said he wasn’t better. But there’s a difference between improving and being ready to play games. Hall came in much more polished (pro style offense in college; big time school compared to Skelton).

31. By Dre on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren–

Re: 3000 kids

I’m glad someone asked that question before I did. I was just about to say “I haven’t seen anything on the news referring to 3000 kids at Cardinals practice.” That was a good one.

32. By Brad ONeill on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

chuck!!!! it takes a while to develop a quarterback. usually years. Max has a leg up because he was in two major college programs ASU/BYU and he is a little older than the average rookie because of his mission.

Skelton has great ability, and should develop into a very good quarterback. his handicap was coming from a smaller school where he certainly did not face quite as high a level of competition.

the team is holding him as a long term prospect. if they need a quarterback to play this year they will most likely go outside the organization. next year he will probably be a viable back up and in year three he will either sink or swim with the team.

33. By AndyStandsUp on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

Though “not a hurricane in a pasture”, rain is absolute Sunday. How does this affect certain players?
    Since Max Hall is really 5′-3″, won’t he have a greater probability of the wet ball slipping out of his infant sized hands?
    Hightower and Wells already have a history of fumbling, will this game make NFL Follies?
    The offensive line has been a sieve with AZ QBs, mouths agape, spending plenty of time on their backs. Will this be similiar to Turkeys drowning in the rain?
    Well, at least in the rain, no one can tell if you’re crying.

P.S. I own the crowd noise CD, but The Best of crowd noise and crowd noise live in Japan are my faves.

34. By Chuck on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

I don’t want to beat a dead horse, but if Hall was/is more polished, he should have been drafted instead of Skelton.
    Bad scouting and draft decisions.

35. By Anthony C on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

I think DRC is gonna land a pick or two during this game.

Truthfully, I think our D will have to step it up like crazy in this game. SEA has shown some offensive prowess, I think, and underestimating them will be a mistake that will cost the NFC West title.

36. By Skiptim on Oct 23, 2010 | Reply

I’m glad someone asked too! Psh, what a dummy! (hint hint, yes it was me)

37. By brad oneill on Oct 23, 2010 | Reply

chuck- they took Skelton based on his monster arm. at the time they drafted him they were planning on lienart being the quarterback for the foreseeable future so they didnt draft him with the idea of needing someone to fill in right away. they picked him up because their basic needs were met and he was the most gifted player left in the draft.

38. By Chuck on Oct 23, 2010 | Reply

I know that Whiz is in love with “monster arms”.
    I just hope that Skelton’s is more accurate than DAs (if he ever gets to play)