Breaston inactive, Doucet plays, Roberts to start at WR

Posted by Darren Urban on October 24, 2010 – 11:34 am

Early Doucet is playing but Steve Breaston is not, now that the inactive list has been announced for today’s game. Interestingly, with Breaston and Stephen Williams (back) inactive, it is rookie Andre Roberts and not Doucet who will be starting with Larry Fitzgerald.

Nose tackle Gabe Watson is also back to inactive now that Kenny Iwebema is healthy again. The rest of the inactive list:

• QB John Skelton
  • S Hamza Abdullah
  • CB Trumaine McBride
  • C Ben Claxton
  • LB Alex Hall

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

45 Responses to “Breaston inactive, Doucet plays, Roberts to start at WR”

1. By Cards4Ever on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

Wow, no breaston?! All week you would have thought that Early would be out and not Steve. Do you think the the rain and the wet field was the deciding factor to sit Breaston? Concidering his injury.

2. By LadyCard04 on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

Read Williams cracked/fractured a vertabra…is this true and how badly is he really injured. He didn’t look good when he came up after catching the DA pass. Great catch but…

Hoping he won’t be out long or that it is something that can cause lingering sysmptons. Back injuries often come back to haunt you for years. Sorry Breaston isn’t playing but better safe with him. Not sure how Roberts will perform as he hasn’t shown me anything that really inspires confidence.

3. By Tyrelle on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

This is not good.

4. By Darren Urban on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

Cards4Ever –

RE: Breaston

Combo of many things I think, not the least of which is it’s not easy to come back three weeks after knee surgery.

5. By Darren Urban on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

LadyCard –

RE: S. Williams

Didn’t see that on Williams. Link?

6. By Eric JB on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

Kent Somers reported that Williams said he had a small fracture in his back from the Saints game.

7. By burlybird on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

You screwed me Urban! I put Breaston on the fantasy team this week based on your info. I didn’t think “inactive” was even an option. Oh well. Ha ha!

8. By Rob on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

Why is the O so bad

9. By brad oneill on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

can i start calling for jamarcus russel yet?

just kidding i think we can pull this out in the second half. we are running effectively against them, and despite the fact that max has been terrible the defense has kept us close enough that we are two plays away from winning this game.

maybe with andre roberts citadel education he can get a job somewhere after his football career ends this week.

10. By cardsalltheway on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

Nice fumble Roberts, how did you like the comment about not any Citadel players in the NFL other than Roberts and there may not be any soon?

Hey Cards Coach how long do non-statist Cardinal fans have to put up with or should I say without the prototypical size or arm strength for an NFL quarterback? Oh yeah, and let me add…an undrafted rookie who nobody else wanted…Sheeesh!!! I think non-statist fans will learn just how stubborn the Cards Coach is or should I say his high level of stubborness.

11. By Romads10 on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

What is the deal????? Fitzgerald hasn’t made receptions or TD’s like he should. Something needs to snap. Time to start with toughness. This team is in shambles. Get the team together they start doing what they are getting paid to do or get out!!!!!

12. By SeeingRed on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

Max Hall is utterly worthless.

13. By cardsalltheway on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

In my 40 years of being an NFL football fan I honestly don’t think I’ve ever seen such stupidity in my life. What? Now we get more of what’s his name?

Brian Billick said the Cards Coach once chose DA because of his cohisiveness or whatever with the team, then later chose Max Hall because of his cohisiveness with the team. In other words, he was pointing out how dumbfounded or inconsistent the Cards Coach is…NOW, we are back with DA. Ha, Ha, Ha, what a joke. The Cards Coach is a JOKE

14. By Rich on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

I’ve been watching pro football for 50 years; and have never seen a qb as bad as Max Hall. Never !

15. By cardsalltheway on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

“Hot handed DA,” did you hear that? How funny, it was said by Brian Billick’s partner b/c DA is/was 4/6 passing. Wow, if only everyone of our QB’s could be 4/6.
    7:19 to go(3rd quarter) and DA almost gave it away. Good play by DA after that with the taunting/undportsmanship call on the Seahawks but he followed that up by a horrible throw. Then, a penalty call but…no call which left a 4th and 6 yard to go and of course “Gunslinger” goes for it and fails.

16. By cardsalltheway on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

In my prior post I meant 7:19 in the 4th quarter. Now, 55 Porter looked like a fool on that bootleg. And the reason given for Max Hall being taken out…”A blow to the head”…Sorry but I missed that…What a liie, I hate it when people lie to me, much less the when the people lying are from the Cardinal Org. which I thought I was suppose to trust.

17. By Mikeflorio on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

Panic mode somebody please hit the panic button! trade time lets go after edwards? maybe the texans will give leinart back??? vick? russell? campbell?? Pat white?

18. By Ron on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

The Cardinals need a good QB badly! We should try Skelton and see if there’s any fire in him.

19. By Lone-Eagle on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

The only positive I can take from this game is, at least we’re not 1-6 like the niners. The defense only looked decent in the red zone. Anderson looked good on the one drive. All in all, the Cards need work and a little home cooking. Let’s see what happens in 3 weeks. Let’s see who the starting QB is next week, I am at a loss. Good luck Cards!!

20. By cardzzz on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

:( we lost

21. By cardsalltheway on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

I wish being a 2010 Cardinal fan didn’t mean I’d be dealt a WACKO hand by the coach whenever he decided to deal.

22. By Tyrelle on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

The Cardinals will not win this division with performances like this.

23. By old cards fan on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

where is the big plays in the off. you have a all- star reciever in fitz.spread the field and throw it deep even the steelers throw the deep ball

24. By TBru on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

I think this hurts more than the blow out losses because we had so many chances. The most gosh awful special team play I think I have ever seen. The defense looked solid only touchdown they allowed was a gift courtesy Andre Roberts, just fall on the darn ball. Couldn’t figure out why went for the field goal when we did, it was 4 down territory. Worse case we don’t convert but have Seattle pinned down, bad choice coach, 3 points didn’t matter. DA looked like Brett Favre of old on the first drive, and he looked like DA for the rest of the game. If #3 has such a big arm why not air it out when we got it back with a minute to go. A 12 point game is still winnable even with low odds, take a chance. I think we won the penalty battle for a change, never saw a kicker have 12 points taken away and never loose his cool. Glad we played the Raiders team we played and not the one that was out there today,holy cow. Ground game made some progress today but out offense terrible.

25. By cardsalltheway on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

Okay, so after watching the NFL Network maybe I saw the play where local boy hero Max Hall was supposedly hit or received the co-called “blow to the head,” but of course I’m not sure. All I know is that I saw him standing on the sideline with no problem, not weary nor groggy etc…, maybe the local boy hero Max Hall now knows about the lack of support Leinart felt and Skelton feels everyday??? I’ve never seen a team with 3 QB’s who now have little or no support. The Eagles should be an example to the Cards Coach, something the Cards organization should’ve made sure they had when they hired the current Cards Coach. However you spell the current coaches name, he surely knows very little about QB’s. Fire the COACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26. By Josh C on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

First off let me state I was an Arizona fan way before the SB, now that that is outta the way…… I feel this season is a wash gents! The best we can hope for at this point is for our team to contiue to learn from each other and get a good draft position for next season. Seriously, 2 blow-out losses already…. then this God AWFUL offensive performance in Seattle. Whats goin on in the front office guys? Why didn’t we go after a REALQB when you all KNEW Kurt was leaving…… sheesh!

27. By cardsalltheway on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

Anyway, even though I’m no fantasy football expert, I’ve never gone against the Cards until this week. I took the Seahawks defense and I scored 16 points with them which is a very good score among fantasy defenses and/or for me and also equaled the Titans total for this week who are the fantasy football defense leaders.

28. By brad oneill on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

ok guys we cant be calling for whiz’s job yet. the guy is doing everything he can. I respect the fact that he moved away from a quarterback that wasn’t working out even though that meant we would be starting a rookie.

our rookie looked terrible as far as throwing the ball but i dont blame him as much on the fumble. a lot of qbs have coughed up a ball when blindsided.

Max definitely appears to have a lot of nerves on his first drives. he has thrown an interception on every first drive he has run it seems.

the minute our offense showed any life at all our defense seemed to go into prevent mode and instead of preventing anything they just gave up play after play. I don’t know for sure if its play calling or execution but both roads lead back towards the coach. I don’t want to throw davis under the bus but i would like to at least like to grab him by the caller and let him know a big bus is coming shortly if his team doesn’t get it together.

I realize the bus that runs over coach davis might be a short one. Special teams are killing us. well except for the kickoff returns.

29. By CZarr on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

I just wanted to apologize.. Reading through the comments on the Facebook post you made just make me want to… Yea… Anywho..

Have fun sifting through the crap for the remainder of the season regarding all the “what if we kept Leinart”, “why is Hall starting after Anderson finally did ok” bla bla bla…

Question, though, where are you at during games? Are you on the sidelines or in a box?

30. By Peter in Canada on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

Now the sniping starts again. The coach who was smart last week is now stupid again just like he was in San Diego. The major problem was turnovers. I didn’t see the coach fumble. The defence I thought played damn well. 22 points is pretty measly considerng the field position the Seahawks were given. The special teams and QB are a problem. The special teams can be sorted out. QB is a different story. There were always going to be problems replacing Warner. It was hoped Anderson could get back to ’07 form but hasn’t. Leinart only looks good because he’s several hundred miles away. Hall and Skelton are rookies. Bulger might have been a better option and possibly one of Philadelphia’s QB’s. It didn’t happen so at this point the only two options are to get behind the existing coaches and QB’s or to jump off the bandwagon. As for myself I think I’ll stay.

31. By TucsonTim on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

Good to see the defense coming together as a unit. Clearly dominated.

Against a good run defense the O’line looked really good. Too bad the offensive coordinator didn’t trust them to move the ball down the field like they did after DA came into the game. As bad as Max Hall was in the first half, after our first TD the play calling was worse. BTW Todd Haley has an offensive coordinator in KC.

Hightower is what he is. There is a reason players don’t get invited to the combine. Time to stop thinking we are so much smarter than everyone else.

Which brings me to our undrafted QB. Did we really think every other team in the NFL and the entire scouting organization of the NFL is that stupid. Please let this be the end of the Max Hall hysteria. Graves, BidWILL and Whiz “briefly” considered a tried and true veteran and chose to go with DA. It is what it is, so now they can deal with the consequences of their “briefly” considered choice.

The scoop of the day was that DA had internal bleeding. Not a real surprise after all of the savage hits he took. Is that the real reason he was benched? Hummmm??

I looked at DRC’s first off sides in super slow mo and probably in Phoenix Stadium we get that call. But 2 more??? Hummmm.

Fumble a punt in the rain and then try to pick it up with one hand!? I thought you had to be smart to go to the Citadel. Maybe there is a reason there isn’t another player in the NFL from the Citadel. Is that another example of the skill of our front office in evaluating talent?

Did 91 not get flagged for a hit to the head because it was so obvious that we needed to bench MAX? How did DA not start the 2nd half? Maybe if DA starts the 2nd half the outcome changes. You don’t have to be Einstein to see in the NFL the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

32. By Big Red on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

Fans that complain about COACH WHIZ, how soon you forget he took us to the S.B. Give the guy some time, he won’t lets us down. I agree, we might as well give Skelton a chance too. I have a feeling his the one to take us to the top again. Warner you made our receivers look good, we miss you.

33. By TucsonTim on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

“If we had done anything offensively,” Whisenhunt said, “I’d like to think it would’ve been a different game.”

So how about firing the play caller and hiring an offensive coordinator!!!!!

34. By card62 on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

went to the titans – eagles game in nashville and eagles had the game won until they fumbled going into the endzone. The game completely turned on this turnover and the Titans came all the way back and won easily with Kerry Collins, and Kerry did not throw the ball well Cardinal fans but his WRs made plays for him.

I listened to the Cardinal game on the 4 hour drive home and the announcers were not for either team and their comments were right on about our team. max hall no arm strength and can not make the throws which is why 32 teams passed on him 7 times. Roberts is clueless and tried to pick up the punt he muffed with one hand. One good drive with offensive line pushing around seattle defense and Tim once again fumbles the ball. They liked out defense especially our secondary which they said covered well and provided some coverage sacks for us. My thoughts are 2 weeks to prepare and this is what we put on the field. Congrats to the defense for showing up again and of course they can sue the offense and special teams for no support. Who could have believed that our high powered offense could become this pathetic this soon. Long season no matter who plays quarterback for us. Hopefully our defense will show up every week and give us a chance to win. I think I have to trade Larry Fitz on my fantasy team as we do not have anyone to get him the ball. Go Cards and offense lets score 2 touchdowns next week okay.

35. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

Why is Andre Robers fielding punts? he has lost 3 punts this season, maybe 1 is not a problem, but 3 this early in the season, that just means there are more to come, we are leaning on rookies in almost every crucial position, put DRC back there, nobody is going to catch him if he breaks a big one, or why not Breaston? I bet Arizona feels stupid for giving Philly Jorrik Calvin, cause look whats he is doing for them! Arizona is so F’d in every position, we cant even throw the ball to Fitzgerald, I bet they wish they kept Q, cause I sure do and I am sure a lot of other fans do to, maybe coach Wiz will look into a vet QB more in the offseason, and if he does hopefully its not some scrub again, Derren, what do you see happening this offseason, I know there is something at leased

36. By Chuck on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

The Cards have several problems: O-line and D-line, too many turnovers but most of all the QB position.
    Let me chronicle the sad story (just to refresh your memory), which will probably cause them to not make the playoffs this year unless some miracle occurs.
    Kurt Warner retires.
    Matt Leinart is designated the 1st string QB.
    Derek Anderson is acquired as a Free Agent to compete with ML and ostensibly be insurance as a back-up.
    The Cards draft Skelton (a “raw prospect” with a “monster arm”) and sign UFA Hall (a local boy).
    Leinart is released.
    Hall is designated the 2nd string QB (he is full of confidence and has lots of records as a QB at BYU)
    DA fails miserably as the starter.
    Hall replaces DA.
    After a so-so first game, Hall falters as a starter (4/16 against the SeaChickens).
    DA replaces Hall against Seattle and can’t win the game.
    Now, who does Whiz start? Hall or DA (or sign Miller, the QB coach, who may be better than either Hall or DA)?
    Thanks to Graves and Whiz, the Cards don’t have any QBs who can win games (unless they may be against weak or under-performing teams).

Oh well, maybe they can talk John Elway into un-retiring.

37. By Darren Urban on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

CZarr –

RE: During games

I am in the press box up until the last six or seven minutes. Then I go down to the field.

38. By Gilbert Card on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

Well, this one was a tough one to watch. Seahawks did not win this game, we lost it. You cannot give the ball to the opposite team 5 times in a game and expect to win it. We keep shooting ourselves in the foot with execution mistakes in critical moments of the game.
    Max Hall may become a good quarterback in the future, but he is not ready yet to drive this team with the starting job, and Derek “Drunken Sniper” Anderson is inconsistent at best, but you know, this is what we have this year, so to all negative Cards “fans”: suck it up and support your team until we find a franchise QB!!!…and keep those 80 mg. Aspirins at hand…
    Good effort by the defense although there is still room for serious improvement tackling. Coach Whis has done a lot for this team and he is a very smart guy, I still believe he is making the best possible lemonade with the lemons he has. He wants to win games more than anybody else, of that I have no doubt. Nine more games, we can still win the NFC west…GO CARDS!!!!

39. By Darren Urban on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

TucsonTim –

RE: Anderson

Actually, DA said today he never had internal bleeding. He said a comment to a reporter last week was “misconstrued.”

40. By Mark Mitzel on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Time for a new coach. We should have went after a QB last season rather than waiting. Hall is not NFL material. Anderson lacks arm strength and accuracy. The offensive line can’t block or protect the QB. The running back can’t hold on to the ball. Larry Fitz will probably leave because of Whiz. Without a great QB, Fitz is watching his career float by. The special teams coach should be fired. Too many big problem. Can’t hold on to the ball, allowing too many big plays. Way too many penalties. Dockett got the big money but when was the last time you heard him do anything to deserve it? The team will be lucky to be 6 and 10 at the end of the season. They can’t beat the Packers, Vikings, Bucs, Chiefs, Panthers or Broncos, and will be lucky to beat the 49ers, SeaHawks and Rams. There record now is win, loss, win, loss, win, loss. 3-3. Not where we should be with all this talent.

41. By Mark Mitzel on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Oh yeah, The coach should have had the entire team practice, watch film, etc.after the bye. Obviously, the time off did nothing good. They looked rusty. I am a HUGE Cardinal fan and always will be. Just hate to see all this talent go to waste and the team to slip backwards after some really great years of football. GO CARDS!!!

42. By TucsonTim on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Big Red -

Got to agree that Whiz changed the culture of the Cards. But I think Todd Haley, Kurt Warner, Jake Delohmme and the Eagles beating the Giants in NY got the Cards to the SB

43. By TILLMAN#1 on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

No reason Anrdre Roberts should have a job in the NFL!!!

44. By NYCARDSFAN on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Win…loss…win…loss…win…loss. Next week…win??? I am not gonna get all worked up and neither should anyone else. We arent doing too bad for a team that has had to try to rebuild in MANY aspects. Although I must admit, I was sitting on my couch shaking my head in disgust as we handed this win to the s–thawks. We all know the cardinals are better than this. They have to play at the level that they are capable of in EVERY game. I would however, have thought that there would have been a lot more practices going on than I have heard of. Maybe I missed something. It seems to me that the cardinals try to play “just enough” for their competition. I mean, we spank the Aints one week, and then we get spanked by the s–thawks the next game. After a bye week no less. If we had played like we are capable of, I truly believe that with DA or Max, or Leinart, we would be 6-0. No doubt in my mind.

2. Oct 24, 2010: World Wide News Flash