Seahawks aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on October 24, 2010 – 10:47 pm

Another airplane Aftermath, writing this one through the turbulence of the bumpiest charter flight I can remember (and it’s not all that fun, especially that drop we just endured). Heck, given the turbulence of today’s game, it makes sense that’s how we end up the night.

What have we learned after this trip to Seattle? Well, the defense of the last two games is what I expected. Not a second coming of the Steel Curtain, but pretty solid. I’m still not sure why the meltdowns in Atlanta and San Diego occurred, although it doesn’t matter much. Maybe it was just the idea they needed to figure out how to play with each other. Bottom line, they have to keep playing this way.

That’s because of the second major point to come out of Sunday, which is that Max Hall has quite a ways to go. The wet ball did affect him – that first interception, despite it being an admitted “bad decision,” slipped out of Hall’s hand – but that didn’t explain everything.

– Coach Ken Whisenhunt is sticking with Hall as starter, which makes sense. If you want him to learn, pulling the rug out from under him now probably makes it a major setback. Besides, Derek Anderson looks like he can flourish in the no-pressure backup role if needed.

But if this plane ride is bumpy, it’s probably nothing compared to the ride the Cards will go on with Hall as he learns.

– Alan Branch wasn’t patting himself on the back, but he looked excellent Sunday. He is playing like a guy you would trade up in the second round to choose, even if the Cards did so back in 2007 and are just now seeing major results. Branch is scheduled to be a free agent this offseason, however (as soon as a new CBA is in place), so here’s hoping this maturity and not just “Hey, I need to make sure I get a solid new contract.”

– Not sure what’s next for Tim Hightower. He disappeared, not surprisingly, after his latest fumble. He was running so well too. With one fewer carry that Beanie Wells this season (53-52), Hightower has rushed for 115 more yards (298-183). You can’t turn the ball over, though.

– Special teams captain Jason Wright is one of the smartest guys on the team. The entire NFL, I would guess. But he made a mental error Sunday. “I was supposed to let that go back to LaRod (Stephens-Howling),” Wright said of the squibbed kickoff that he tried to field at his shoetops and instead kicked it forward for yet another crucial turnover.

– The Cardinals have fumbled the ball 19 times already this season, losing 11.

– Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie was picked on Sunday as Mike Williams ended up with 11 catches for 87 yards and a touchdown (although it may be time to acknowledge the Seahawks got a steal when the 6-foot-5 former 10th overall pick Williams decided to get serious, because his size makes it a bit… uh, makes it very difficult to cover him on short routes). “If they continue to throw at (DRC) I believe he will make plays for us,” Whisenhunt said. “That’s life as a cornerback.”

– DRC has to be smarter too, twice jumping offsides on field-goal tries. One negated a block (although he probably doesn’t block it without jumping) and the other gave Seattle a first down. Whisenhunt didn’t sound overly concerned, saying pressure from the field-goal block team is one of the reasons he thinks opponents have missed some this season.

(Just not Olindo Mare, who, including kicks called back because of penalty Sunday, made seven field goals in seven tries).

– Anderson said he didn’t really have internal bleeding earlier this season, contrary to a newspaper report late last week. He said a comment was “misconstrued.”

– In case you didn’t already know, the Cards will be wearing their black uniforms against Tampa Bay in a week (and seats are still available, FYI). And yes, the black uniforms-for-Tampa is official.

That’s about all for tonight. The plane has settled down as we come in for Phoenix, the depressing day in the rain up in Seattle (and game, perfectly pictured below by cornerback Greg Toler) just about over. So we leave you with some Jason Wright optimism.

“Maybe it is a blind faith thing, but I really have confidence in guys we have,” Wright said. “I really feel things will click soon.”

Let’s hope so. Nobody wants to feel queasy. It’s already been bumpy enough.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

68 Responses to “Seahawks aftermath”

1. By Blair on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

I am sure they will all be saying the same thing when we are four or five games back in by far the worst division in the league “I know we have a good team, things will start clicking soon” haha yeah ooook. At least the people that made the schedule got something right, the last game of the season will be huge! Loser gets last place and winner gets third in the west. How many more eggs does this offense need to lay before we start seeing blackouts like the good ole days? Im betting a crappy game like this against tampa would just about do it. And in the mean time we will keep getting fed the same old crap “we have a good team, we’re just not clicking”.

2. By Phoenixraven1 on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

Let’s go big Red! Great job defense all in all…offense this is on you! Pull it together!

3. By John on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

THE MAX HALL ERA!! Yea ok.

I almost can’t watch these games any more with the play calling this coach does. He has Hall do that goofy looping airball way down the field early in the game, which was intercepted ofcourse. Yet at the end of the game when they are desparate for yardage he has Anderson doing short 6 yard passes staying in bounds eating the clock up lol. He puts Hightower in from the beginning of the game, then when Hightower fumbles he “punishes” him and takes him out for Wells most the rest of the game. How about a balance between the 2 for the whole game? Even the commentators notice that. In the 3rd quarter, after going down the field successfully with a couple drives with Wells plowing yardage every time he carried, on 1st down about 10 yards from the goal line he calls for 3 passing plays which are all incomplete?? Beanie wouldnt have done better then that in that situation? I’m convinced this coach isnt about winning by adapting or any means necessary, but he wants to play conservative and with his prepared game plan and if that doesnt work out then too bad the team is punished. He needs to get a little creative and aggressive and take some chances when theres 10 minutes left in the game and your down by 2 or more scores and its like 3rd and 4 and he punts it, with that stupid mentality that he hopes the defense will hold and they get the ball right back. That never works with this team. But he doesnt care, its his follow his prescribed plan or lose.

4. By bigvic on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

when are we gonna see both sides of the ball show up in a game

5. By Pheenic Cromartie on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

After calming down from that train wreck of a game, I think it was just one of those days where nothing seems to go right. I think that with the home crowd behind the players, and wearing their black uniforms, they should do great against the Bucs.

The key for Max Hall is to settle down. If he can settle down, stay calm, and make those key passes, the Offense will suddenly click.

Next week I expect a win! Go Cards!

6. By Daniel on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

Darren

What do you think we have to do to turn the boat around ?

7. By Edwinandfire on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

Darren, From the first 6 games so far who do you think is the biggest surprise on the Cardinals? Who is the cardinals biggest disappointment so far? And who will need to step up in order for the cardinals to win the NFC West again? Just curious on your opinion since you are around the team a lot more.

8. By bird on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Keeping Hall at starter kinda seems to mean they give up this year and preparing for the future. I don’t really like that thinking though.
    I hope Cards haven’t given up this season. It wouldn’t be fare to anyone…the team, the fans.

9. By Rich on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

I just got back from a trip to Asia and so am awake at strange hours of the night. Saw the game today. Its beyond me that anyone thinks Max Hall is worthy of time to develop. I have been watching pro-football avidly for 50 years. This kid does not “have it”. If they want to develop a young QB, then do it with Skelton who has the physical tools. If not go with Anderson. In Seattle, we plainly and clearly saw why no one drafted Hall. But I guess everyone under the Cardinals employ will “sing the corporate song” and act as though this kid has something. Leinart and McNabb are both looking pretty good right now (we had or could have had either). Its time to for the team and its employees to “fess up” that the entire QB things was mis-managed. The fans (especially us multiple season ticket holders) aren’t taking too well to this “spin” that Hall has “IT” and needs time to develop. The rest of the team has excellent talent, the coaching staff is solid, the team is built to win now and in the future. But the QB position is the worst in football. Saying Hall has the talent and skills and physical ability to become a productive QB in this league is nonsense. We’re not that naive.

10. By Rugbymuffin on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Season killer.

11. By ross on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

As a huge HT fan, I was angry when he fumbled.

I think he is trying too hard for extra yards.

He was looking great, too.

Oh well. Averaging 5.8 yards per tote doesn’t matter if you can’t hold on to the ball.

12. By Old Man Riva on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

I became a Big Red fan in 1960…yes that is eons ago and I can’t begin to describe all the years and years of frustration I have endured. However, I continue to be a fan, always hoping I will be rewarded for my loyalty. And every decade or so, a Card team will step forward that shocks the football world by being really great. Unfortunately, I know that my excitement will be short-lived and within a year or two, the team will settle back into its old comfort zone…near the cellar of their division. Guess what fans…we are entering another one of those decades of downtime. Enjoy it while you can because by some fluke, in another 10 years or so, the team may make the playoffs. Adios my Big Red amigos.

13. By Old Man Riva on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Just as a footnote…didn’t we lose a QB to free agency a decade or so ago who then went on to appear in a Super Bowl with Denver? Now we lose a QB to retirement and there seems to be a strong possibility the team will follow the same path as that one did. Hate to say it fellow fans, but doesn’t the staff, coaches, players, etc., still make nice fat salaries regardless if they win or lose? Never mind the fortunes the Bidwill family reaps by teasing all us diehards.

14. By carlo7000 on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

darren whats your consideration about this team..Statistics do not lie..our stats offense are 29th in scoring, 32th in yards ,32th passing, 29th rushing…and also the defensive stats are terrible …even if we won 3 games we are one of the worst team in nfl..i never seen a cardinals so bad like this year..depressive

15. By Jones from IL on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

As far as I’m concerned, only 2 players should return punts and kick-off returns – Hypen or Breaston, nobody else. Good things happen when Hypen is in the backfield too – I’d like to see him in on more plays -he is a big hearted talented player who seldom makes mistakes. As far as the offense goes – reps baby reps and more reps to get Max and receivers in tune.

16. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Tim Hightower is the Card’s modern-day Terry Metcalf…

1973 – 9 fumbles
    1974 – 14 fumbles
    1975 – 8 fumbles
    1976 – 15 fumbles
    1977 – 10 fumbles

In fairness to Terry, Terry was much more versatile than Tim, scored more TDs than Tim, gained more yards than Tim, and was voted to the Pro-Bowl 3 times.

17. By Paul on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Coach KW is a very patient man. That’s one reason why he is a head coach and I’m not. But I got to believe the A. Roberts experiment as punt returner has to be deferred to next off season and exhibition games. We cannot afford any more errors in that area. This season is going to go down to the wire. The unforced mistakes have got to stop. Ditto for Hightower. Time for Wells to have 20 carries a game and place Tim in the 3rd down role as blocker and receiver.

18. By Jesse on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Our special teams made it hard to judge the teams performance.

19. By Peter in Canada on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

I agree with what you are saying. I too like our defence. It gives up yardage but is great in the red zone. It is a bend but don’t break defence which while good needs the offence to do something. All the skeptics want to dump Roberts but he made a typical rookie mistake of trying to make a play when it wasn’t there and that is correctable. The QB situation is different. To think that a future HOF QB could be replaced without a hiccup by suddenly going to a smashmouth run offence with play action passing was incredibly naive. The coach had no choice but to bring in Hall. Anderson is much too inaccurate and we are going to have to suffer the growing pains of Hall and maybe Skelton for the rest of the season and re-evaluate at the end. Anyway, the only available QB who might have made a significant difference was McNabb and the powers decided not to go that route. After two years in the sunshine I am prepared to accept some shade. Next week is a winnable game and we will be 4-3 with some definite upside.

20. By Kevin on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Like Wright, I’m pretty optimistic too all things considered. We went into their house, and essentially played them evenly (more yards per play, rushed over 5 yards per carry) if you take out the turnovers. A couple per game is to be expected, but not 5, especially not 2 dumb ones like the two special teams fumbles. This is not a world-beater or Super Bowl team, but they’re 3-3 and get a redo against Seattle at home in 3 weeks… if you assume today that we can win that game, we’re even with Seattle with a pretty favorable schedule in the 2nd half of the year; if we lose, we’re 2 back and lose head-to-head so probably our division title and playoff chances end. But I didn’t see anything yesterday that makes me think we can’t beat this team in a few weeks. You can argue they didn’t play well either (offensively), but is that their offense or our defense? To score only 22 points when we gifted them field position several times, twice in the red zone, is pretty bad. I’m not ready to concede the division yet.

21. By don on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

I believe this team will still win at least 10 games, (if only we had a quarterback) but we just need someone to step in and manage the team. Our defense has finally come into it’s own besides the last few drives because a) they were tired and b) frustrated they work so hard and the offense turns the ball back over, emotion play a role. Anyone else notice what a monster Branch has become, defensive end is really his spot. The young talent on this defense is a thing of beauty with branch, toler, washington, drc, calias (sp?), if williams pans out and O’schofield turns out to be a stud we are loaded for years to come. Goal for this year try to get in the playoffs maybe win and game and pray McNabb doesn’t sign long term with the skins haha

22. By Chuck on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

The failure of Graves and Whiz to make wise draft and FA decisions has put the franchise in dire straits e.g. Roberts, Brown, Hall, DA, Porter, etc.
    Either the Scouting Department is incompetent or Graves and Whiz are.

23. By LB on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

DRC has been horrible this season, what happened to him? I never thought Greg Toler would be our best CB this year, but that’s what’s happened so far. What do you think is happening?

24. By Ben on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

URB,

Can you explain how we go into a VERY hostile environment on an extremely rainy day with an UDFR at QB and try to throw the ball so much????

WHAT IS WRONG WITH WHIZ???

I thought he came from the “power run” mold? Did he hit his head? Does he think Warner is still our QB?

I may be wrong but I think Beanie got in around the second quarter. This is unacceptable.

Can 100% of fans be wrong and only the space between WHiz’s ears be right?

RUN THE BALL!!!!!!!! I just don’t get it, I am not upset with Max, it was going to be tough for him, I just think his coach made it even more difficult.

25. By David C. on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

If Max Hall fails to show improvement by season’s end, do you think the Cardinals would be more inclined to spend a first round pick on a quarterback (Locker, Luck, Mallett) or look to free agency for one (Vick, Kolb, Pennington, Quinn)?

26. By montana card man on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

I am proud of the defense, they played great. The offense on the other hand was pathetic! I am sorry but Max played very bad. When you cant hit open receivers there is a problem. The game is moving to fast for him and I cant see him slowing it down. FIND A Q.B.

27. By Darren Urban on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Daniel —

RE: Turnaround

It would help to get better quarterback play. I don’t know how quickly that is coming.

28. By MikeG on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren–Tough game in Seattle for the offense. You certainly can’t win with 5 turnovers and no offensive rythm. Defense did come to play and did some good things. Which play in the game do you think hurt the Cards the most??? I’m going with EITHER the Andre Robert’s fumble or the one by Hightower. Both were killers!!!— You??

29. By Jesse Robles on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

People are saying we aren’t that good, but all we need is a good QB and we would be great. We GAVE that game away, TURNOVERS killed us. OUr defense has been holding us, a couple turnovers in the redzone killed us. We can do this, Lets go O.

30. By Gang6230 on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

I saw the entire game. The mistakes is what killed the cards if they wanna keep winning that must stop the Seahawks r still weak they couldn’t handle the defense. the cards do have great defense they beat us by field goals not overall performance. Our offense is weak that needs to be addresed cuz without it we can’t score. Yeah I would say max hall is the right guy he just needs to learn

31. By Darren Urban on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Edwin —

RE: surprise/disappointment

As far as a surprise, I’d say how quickly Toler has come along. He has played pretty solid. Branch has been pretty darn good too. Disappointment would probably be the lack of impact yet from defensive players I thought would make a bigger impact, especially Campbell and DRC.

32. By Darren Urban on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

LB —

RE: DRC

Not sure. Clearly he isn’t playing as well as he should. Hopefully, it’s a wake-up call.

33. By Darren Urban on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

David C —

RE: QB

I think it will depend on where they are drafting. The other problem? If there is no CBA, free agency will be pushed back until that gets resolved and all those FA players will be in limbo.

34. By Darren Urban on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

MikeG —

RE: Turnovers

You can’t have turnovers, period. But they held for a punt after Hightower’s. The Roberts one was the killer to me.

35. By CaliCard on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Well, looks like the gamble of letting Leinart go and passing up on McNabb, Bulger or even Vick in free agency failed miserably. Seems like Whiz and Graves could have come up with a better plan instead of leaving the most important position in the game to chance. I’m sure we’ll be hearing about it all season. We’ll be lucky to break even. It’s looking like a lost season without any offense and a bi-polar defense.

36. By Dre on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

The game against Seattle was one of those game where you wish we hadn’t cut Matt Leinart…like we had an abundance of great QB talent.

I think the Hightower fumble was the main turnover of the day. Our Rookie QB was having a very bad day. We started to expose their rush defense, moving the ball with ease into scoring position when he put the ball on the ground. Instead of tying the game with a field goal or even going ahaead with a TD, he created a major let down. Why won’t he wrap the ball with two hand when he senses contact….its mindblowning that a professional athlete can’t do basic football fundamentals. They need to bench Hightower for a game or two to get the message across.

The saddest and most irritating thing is that Whisenhunt adds fuel to the fire. In a rainy and so called loudest venue in the NFL he decided to throw the ball on our first play of the game. I don’t know how many times I saw passes on first down. We had a 2nd & 3 to get a 1st dn after a good 7 yd run and what did we do, he passed. Who does he think M. Hall is Joe Montana? “In Whis We Trust” funk the whisenhunt he is a terrible playcaller and a very bad game planner. He is the main reason we look so awful bad on offense no matter who is QB.

Kick off and punt return fumbles are the worst kind of turnovers there are. They can change the game as it did in Seattle. Hightower’s fumble changed the offense and the hopes of doing anything good.

Just by DA being behind center opened up running lanes for Wells, I noticed. This has to be the worst situation to be in regarding the correct QB. No matter who you put under center the downside has major affects.

37. By Safford Todd on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Pathetic

38. By David C. on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

To follow-up on my previous question, if the issues with the CBA are resolved, and our draft position is shaky, would the Cardinals actually be interested in FA QB Michael Vick? Or do you see his past scaring the organization away? An offense with Fitzgerald, Breaston, Wells and Vick would be explosive, and I’d imagine difficult for opposing defensive coordinators to plan against.

39. By Brad O'Neill on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

im beginning to wonder if a lockout wouldnt be a good thing. i could have my sundays back. I wouldn’t waste so much money on beers, shirts, direct tv.

As for Max Hall. hes a cockie over confident rookie, just like drc was, just like dockett was, just like adrian wilson was. I am not ready to declare him a bust yet

40. By Darren Urban on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

David C —

RE: QB

Again, I need to see how the CBA shakes out. If there is no CBA, you can’t sign Vick even if you want to. The draft is in late April. Free agency might not happen until August.

41. By Perry on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Go Hawks!

42. By cfansinc75 on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

I don’t know how anyone can criticize KW. He’s the only coach to take the C’s to the superbowl in my lifetime (I’m 46 by the way).

43. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Roughly how many other teams in the NFL have a separate coordinator for passing, a separate coordinator for running, and a czar coordinator (head coach) to take his pick of plays from the two on Sundays?

It hard not to notice the success Todd Haley is having in his second year now that he handed the keys of the offense over to a single, dedicated OC who is responsible for integrating both run and pass into a singular gameplan.

Last year, Haley had his hands in all the decision making and has since said that wasn’t the best idea. Now Haley can now just manage the game, letting his OC and DC call the plays while retaining the power to overrule them if he deems necessary. KC certainly appears for real, but on paper, they don’t appear have the talent on paper that Arizona does. The week 11 game at KC should provide a bit of a measure as to which coaching staff is better organized (unless the Cards turn the ball over 5-8 times — you can’t blame the coaches for that).

I think Whiz needs to devote more time to the motivation and discipline (fundamentals like turnovers, penalties) of his players and leave the play calling to his coordinators. Taking a few steps back so he can focus on how the team operates as a whole might not be a bad thing — especially now that the Hall of Fame QB whom he leaned upon the last couple of years has retired. In retrospect, I think Whiz really misses the input Kurt gave on play calling during the game.

I certainly still trust Whiz — he isn’t the one fumbling. That said, this league and it’s teams are in a constant state of change, and those coaches who don’t adapt can quickly become extinct (unless they have nine lives like Chan Gailey).

44. By Kevin on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

While I don’t agree with the KW haters in large part, I do agree with Dre’s comment about some of the play-calling given the weather & Hall’s struggling. I also remember the 2nd and 3 right after a powerful 7 yard run and I was thinking, just run it again and try to get the first — make them prove they can stop you. Instead they tried to pass, failed, and now on 3rd and 3 it’s a passing down and we get another incompletion. I am amazed at how much the pro game has moved to pass, pass, pass. Teams get a first and goal on the two yard line and you figure, just run it 3 times — what are the odds you won’t make it in the end zone? — and instead they try to throw a pass and QB gets sacked, or you get a hold that moves them back to the 12, or whatever. The running game was clearly going better than the passing game was and yet we had nearly 2x as many pass plays as rush attempts.

45. By Darren Urban on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Kevin (and everyone) —

RE: Play breakdown Sunday

Again, when you hardly complete any passes, you have zero chance to win in this league. I don’t care how good the running game is.

46. By Old Man Riva on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the great blog darren. I really enjoy sharing thoughts (frustrations) with all the Big Red fans. By the way, I am now living back in StL after living out west for over 30 years…and do I ever miss it!! Back to reality…as we all know, fans hate losers and will stop coming to games when it gets too bad. I’ll make a few comments on the Big Red to follow up on what I said this morning. Someone once said that now (this year) we get to see the team that Whiz is building since up to now he more or less inherited Denny Green’s team…what do you all think of his work so far? Don’t get me wrong, I am behind Whiz 100%, but now is the time to continue to produce, not start going backwards. My big question is if Whiz was so down on Leinart, why weren’t some REAL QBs lookeds at in the offseason? McNabb, Vick, Big Ben, yes Big Ben. If the Steelers had a big enough carrot dangled in front of their noses don’t you think they may have considered trading Big Ben and avoided the 4 game suspension? Just a thought. I also wonder and have for quite awhile about Whiz taking on the offensive coordinator role as well as head coach. Biting off a little more than he can chew if you ask me. Anyway, I’m still behind all you guys to the max and will be until the day I take my last breath. Go Big Red!

47. By CZarr on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

I don’t understand why people are knocking the playcalling.. You can’t run the ball effectively without passing the ball. You also can not overcome a post halftime deficit without… that’s right… passing the ball. Everyone has the ’08 season in their mind apparently. This year is not ’08. We have less talent, less experience, and I have less sanity from reading this inane drivel every week.
    (which is probably how Darren feels about my comments so perhaps its karma)

All that said, do you really think we should run the ball every down?

48. By Darren Urban on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Old Man —

RE: Whiz/team

Did Whisenhunt benefit from players left over from Denny’s time? Absolutely. Is he a good coach because he actually won with those players, something Denny did not do? Absolutely.

There is a saying: The Jimmys and Joes are more important than the x’s and o’s. If you don’t have the talent, coaching isn’t going to make enough of a difference over the long haul. I don’t know if he was that down on Leinart in the offseason. I do think training camp hurt Matt. I think Hall’s emergence as a potential QB hurt Matt (they didn’t want to lose either Hall or Skelton).

But ultimately, you are right. Whisenhunt is part of the group that put this team together. You can rip him for making poor choices at QB. You could also go glass half-full and say somehow this team is 3-3 with poor QB play.

Someone will then say they got lucky, especially against Oakland. Well, then it’s pretty safe to say the Seahawks were pretty lucky to beat the Chargers and Cards since those teams handed the Seahawks, what, 10 total turnovers and Seattle still won relatively close games? In this league, you win and go home and worry about details at practice. The Seahawks have earned 4-2, just like the Cards have earned 3-3.

49. By astanfi on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

As a Seahawk season ticket holder, all I’ll say is that we read your rookie QB say that the noise at Qwest was no big deal because he’s played at Texas Staduim. Well, young man, learn your lesson. This was a divisional games, with the division lead on the line, against the the team that has took what we Hawk fan consider ours (we one the division the 5 previous years) the last two years, with a free agent rookie QB. We were going to be loud no matter what; however, when you open your pie whole and insult us, we got just that much louder.

50. By Darren Urban on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

astanfi —

RE: Noise

As a person who attended the game, all I’ll say is that I don’t think noise was the issue yesterday. Weather? Yes. Good Seahawks pass rush? Yes. A rookie QB playing like a rookie? Yes. Terrible decisions on Cardinals’ special teams? Yes. Not noise.

As someone with a journalism degree, all I’ll say is you probably should use a dictionary when writing.

51. By CZarr on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

astanfi,

I think its pretty cool that you guys have that 12th man thing going. Although, I don’t think it had much of an impact. How many false starts did you see? I didn’t see a single one..

52. By Justin on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

I would say this loss fallls on the Special teams. We have to protect the ball, this team cannot score like we used to ( I would say 30 points tops). I realize that this was a tall order for us but we had the 2 weeks to prepare….very disapionting. Lets not overlook Tampa I think this week will be another tough machup,Hell with our Quarterback I think every week is going to be tough. KEEP DIGGING!! Maybe when this season is over we’ll get another Division Tittle

Its no shocker,we need a quarterback I think Vick would go nuts in our offense. We would have our explosive offense back. SIGN VICK!!

53. By ron werner on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

please get hsll out of there anderson just needed a benching!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

54. By cardzzz on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

I can’t believe I’m saying this but I wish we had Alex Smith lol.

55. By erick on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

No biggie ..you win some and loose some…seahawks won..and it wasnt anything to make any real cards fan question the .seahawks won with a ugly against a fresh new offense do we need to speak on the 6 wins outta the last 7games prior to sunday when we had our ducks in a row n and a steady qb? and not a qb who is barely getting his cherry popped in the NFL..Go Cards!.. got lucky Seahawks…and watch Max Hall will silence any doubters..

56. By erick on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Ps..Anderson is home on the Bench…..he is an experiance veteran who is as accurate as a pee wee quarterback he has great arm strength,,,overthrowing passes to each of our recievers everytime he is in the game,,,,plz Max Hall will come into his own very soon, and 4 weeks ago he was 3rd string…anderson starter..that says alone how bad anderson is…in 4 weeks dude couldnt connect with da best reciever in the game Fitz…Go Cards! Go Hall…and Derek my nephews pee wee team needs a coach for special olympics ..apply at http://www.strongarmsdontwingames.com

57. By shep on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

how is the Head Coach’s qb decision looking now. Be careful what you wish for. If Leinert were in there this team would be 4-2 at least, and the QB wouldn’t be blowing games. Dre is right on his call

58. By SeeingRed on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Good one Darren on your response to astanfi..I needed a good laugh!

On to the game…I felt very bad for our defense. They were worn down by the time the O tried to get it’s act together. I know it wasn’t just me but I found it incredibly painful to watch the Cards play that game and think “if we only had a mediocre NFL QB”…it was obvious the SHawks wouldn’t have even been in the game if we had ANY kind of offensive production. I’ve never seen an offense so anemic. It was very very obvious that our weakest link is QB. I know that’s a no-brainer but I can’t tell u how frustrating it is to hear coach Whiz sound so nonchalant… “he looked like a rookie”……………well, a bit of an understatement there coach. In referring to Max getting “dinged” he said they have to cautious…well, i saw max hall get decapitated against NO and he was back in the game for the second half..not much caution there. I don’t want him going off in press conferences and throwing his players under the bus but maybe along the lines of when Matt and Derek were “battling” in preseason when he was clearly irritated at the lack of first downs and production…Well, coach, this is the regular season and your acting like you have 3 more preseason games to get things together. I know he doesn’t think that way but the way he talks, he’s not fooling anyone-well, at least most of us.

ok ok bottom line…I don’t think max hall gives us the best chance to win. I don’t think he’s good enough to be our qb of the future-so not worth going through “growing pains” with him this season. IMO let DA play out the season and get this qb thing figured out in the offseason.

I just don’t get why there is such an abundance of patience with Hall and so little for DA or there was for Leinart. Very frustrating…

59. By AnnieStandsUp on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Don’t fret, Darren.
    Bet your bottom gold doubloon that Sunday there will be sun.
    Sunday, Sunday, I love you Sunday you’re only a game away.
    ARGHH!!

60. By erick on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

I agree with Shep and Dre100%.. Whiz said its cuz the team lack confidence…well victories build confidence and Lienhart would of been winning games….and we would have a stable,confident , and consistent offense

61. By BigTom on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

I agree about the noise. I was up at the game and it really didn’t seem to loud to me in Qwest field; not as loud as I would have expected from all I’ve heard about how loud it can get in there.

The weather was bad. Rain, no rain, wind, no wind. And special teams I think was affected by it. However, I am impressed with the defense overall. The Hawks were limited to one touchdown (off a special teams mistake) and you are right, with a little better QB play, passes especially, we could have won that game. We know that we will do a lot better against them at home. We also still have St. Louis at home and an inconsistent 49’s team still. I still think we could win the division looking at the overall schedule ahead. I’m optimistic till the end.

My question, do you know why they pulled Hall at the start of the 2nd half? Do you think it was a good idea?

62. By BigTom on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Ignore the question Darren. I read up on it in a later article. Thanks for keeping us up in the NW up on what’s going with our team!

63. By hebrew on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

WISENHUNT AND THE FRONT OFFICE KNEW THAT leinart was not going to be with the team. They wanted to dump him and his salary. Thats a fact. Why did they mislead Lienart the public and themselves.they should have went after more than DA when Warner Retire d. They ****** and now it is costing a good team.

64. By Darren Urban on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

BigTom —

RE: Hall

He suffered a concussion.

65. By Darren Urban on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Hebrew —

RE: Leinart

Well, thanks for clearing that up. You sound like you have good sources.

66. By Dre on Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren–

RE: Play breakdown Sunday

I can think whatever I want to think.

You said…”Prior to the Seahawks taking a 22-10 lead in the fourth quarter Sunday with 7:28 left in the game (when the Cards had to throw every down), the Cards had run the ball 20 times and passed the ball 22 times. I’m not sure why everyone thinks the game was so unbalanced.”

“Again, when you hardly complete any passes, you have zero chance to win in this league. I don’t care how good the running game is”

The main point I want to make is we need to start leading we the run instead of leading with the pass.

Examples: On our lone TD drive we ran 5 times and throw 3…a 70 yd drive that took 8 plays over five minutes of time. From the 16 yd line we ran 3 straight runs for that TD.

Compare that to the 71 yard kick off return by Howling drive….3 pass plays and 1 run. From the 8 yd line we ran once and passed twice, ended up kicking a FG.

My response to your 20 run to 22 pass is you and Whisenhunt got it backwards. The pass should compliment the run instead of the run complimenting the pass.

Right now, he is leading with the pass, hence all the first down passes….9 out 12 drives started with a pass. If that pass is incomplete, you got a 2nd & 10.
    If you get minimum gain with a run on 2nd, that leave a must pass on 3rd and long. Darren did you hear what I said “9 out 12 drives started with a pass”

This offense will continue to struggle if we keep doing the same thing. It doesn’t matter who is at QB. Max Hall is too inexperienced to lead us too victory and DA is too inaccurate. The only chance this offense has is if the pass game supports the run game and good solid defense…bottom freaking line.

Darren–
    Let me show you something and see if anything makes sense to you.

Seattle game…….Time of Possession 22:43 Time of Possession 37:17
    Saints game……..Time of Possession 30:01 Time of Possession 29:59
    Chargers game…Time of Possession 25:02 Time of Possession 34:58
    Raiders game……Time of Possession 27:02 Time of Possession 32:58
    Falcons Game…..Time of Possession 20:47 Time of Possession 39:13
    Rams Game………Time of Possession 27:09 Time of Possession 32:51

Since you like justifying Whisenhunts game plan, JUSTIFY THAT. You guys act like the fans are stupid and don’t understand the game of football. You can skew your 20 run to 22 pass number all you want but Time of Possession don’t lie. And don’t try and turn to turnovers because we get the ball back after those too…Hawks 13 possession, Cards 12 possession.

67. By Dre on Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

Oh and for all this Leinart talk. Ain’t no one saying Leinart was are long term solution. But he could of got the job done this year with the schedule we have. He was experience enough to where teams won’t of stacked the box to stuff our run game. He was accurate enough to make the throw DA can’t make and keep defense honest. He was smart enough to check down on blitzes and take what the defense gave him…limiting turnovers. And he had common sense to just put the ball in the hands of people who could make a play.

It was the you, coaches and the FO who got your emotions mixed up with business. Point blank that is the main reason why every game has is questioned mark this season.

2. Oct 25, 2010: Top Posts — WordPress.com