Whiz’s day-after thoughts

Posted by Darren Urban on October 25, 2010 – 11:33 am

Wanted to throw up some of coach Ken Whisenhunt’s thoughts the day after, before we head to the locker room to talk to some players:

– QB Max Hall will undergo the normal NFL procedures for a concussion this week (starting tomorrow). If he passes the tests and is cleared, he will start against Tampa Bay. If not, Derek Anderson waits in the wings.

– The fumble cost Tim Hightower playing time. But not only did Whisenhunt say it was too early to talk about whether Hightower’s playing time would be cut going forward (or even possibly losing his starting job) because he had yet to watch the tape with the team, it was too early to even comment on the entire situation for now.

– He doesn’t sound down on cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (who apologized for his FG block offsides that cost the Cards a first down), saying DRC was in good position a few times but that Seattle wideout Mike Williams simply made the play.

– No new updates on the two defenders with groin injuries, LB Clark Haggans or NT Dan Williams.

– He will talk to Hall about wearing gloves (not sure if that’s for all the time or just bad weather), although Hall has never worn gloves.

Much more later today.

Tags: , , , , ,

94 Responses to “Whiz’s day-after thoughts”

1. By Brent on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Do you think Wells will finally get the start come Sunday vs TB?

2. By bryan on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

I love how fast coach whis pulled the rug out on Leinart…yet Hightower fumbles AGAIN,and still is the starter.

Coach whis losing cred by the minute.

3. By Darren Urban on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Brent –

RE: RB starter

Maybe. But I certainly wouldn’t bet anything significant on it.

4. By Jordan on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

If Hall isn’t cleared for this weekend, will Skelton be the active for the game?

5. By LightningRod on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Interesting how great players (Warner, Bolden) make great coaches (Whis) but the reverse is not so true…Was there a game plan Sunday or did that get left on the bus???

6. By old cards fan on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Coach Whiz start beanie and open the playbook with max some rollouts,playaction,wildcat,fleeflicker,endaround,screens, deep throws to fitz.T haley yelling on the sideline.DARN! having flashbacks of the SB run when we had a exciting offense.The cards need a off. cordinator Whiz need to pick to be hc or oc really.

7. By CHIRPCHIRP44 on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Trying to get behind everything we do because it does no good to be negative towards this team but I have to agree with Bryan on some level. I love Tim Hightower and I think he is a good running back but this quaterback merry go round is ridiculous. Had we had a capable qb in that game Sunday we would have won easily. Defense played their tails off and the offense couldn’t get anything going. Leinart may not have been the leader Whisenhunt wanted but I really believe he could have gotten the job done yesterday and in previous games as well. We have a top 3 wide out on our roster who is nor being allowed to showcase his skills and is becoming visibly frustrated more and more each week. Trying times for my Cards right now. 3-3 after all that is a testament to their professionalism.

8. By ross on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

What happens when beanie fumbles?

9. By Brad O'Neill on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

i heard wal mart has a sale on kids gloves this week. back to school fall special.

I really thought Hightower had silenced the calls for beanie right up until that big whoops.

DRC- gets startled when you wake him up from his frequent naps.

one positive from the game was Washington getting a sack. i think he will be much better in a limited roll with time to study and learn he is going to be a great player.

my mindset as a fan going forward is “This season is about getting the pieces together in time for the play-offs. The defense has made leaps and bounds in the last two games, We have gotten less than expected from our quarterback and our punt returns have been a black hole. If our qb moves up to slightly below average and our punt returner learns to catch we have a fighting chance.

being a rookie is no excuse when they are paying you to take a spot veterans covet. This is the only opportunity you will get if you fail hundreds of qualified people are out there working hard to take your spot.

10. By Tom-AZ on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

he pulled the rug out because Leinart did not have the confidence of his teammates the way Tim does. Simple as that.

11. By Pat on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren, isn’t the elephant in the room Skelton? He has the size, arm etc, that’s why they drafted him. I understand he is not NFL ready yet and is raw. But the effort by Hall yesterday and really all of his play is by a guy with a big heart but limited abilities. How long, in your opinion, before Skelton gets on the radar and they start viewing him in games instead of just putting lipstick on the current qb situation?

12. By Aaron on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Whiz pulled the plug on Leinart after watching him in practices, preseason and game situations where he consistently demonstrated he wasn’t the solution.

Hightower is a very complete back who was averaging 9.8 ypc until the fumble. He is consistently a solid solution with exception of putting the ball on the ground every few games. Not a very good comparison…

13. By Poopha on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    I see Jorrick Calvin is doing well returning punts and kicks for Philly. 7 PR for a 13.3yd avg. Long 44. 7 KR for a 22.9yd avg. Long 41. Basically gave this guy away for FB? that is no longer on the team. With Roberts looking quite uncomfortable out there(to say the least) I think we missed the boat on that one. Your thoughts?

14. By John M on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Brent..

Matt Leinart was a Cardinal under Whisenhunt for THREE YEARS, I don’t equate that to a “fast” pulling of the rug. Whisenhunt also seemed to bench Timmy Hightower after the fumble yesterday as well.

It seems its not time for Wells (who ran well yesterday) to be the true feature back in the Cardinals offense.

15. By Chuck on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

I have an idea.
    Let’s draft some more players from small schools e.g. the Citadel and Fordham.
    Forget that they haven’t really played against any top level talent.

16. By Darren Urban on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Jordan –

RE: Hall/Skelton

17. By Chuck on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Oh, another great school to look for a draft choice would be Northern Iowa (or wherever Keith played after he left in a huff from his original school)

18. By Darren Urban on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Pat –

RE: Skelton

As soon as they see something in practice that makes them think he can be an improvement.

19. By Darren Urban on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Poopha –

RE: Calvin

Can’t argue with you.

20. By Pat on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

What have you seen in practice from Skelton? Can the gap between him and Hall really be that wide? Sounds hard to believe after the games we have watched Hall.

21. By John on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren.. I don’t always agree with what you say but those two articles you put up today on the offense and defense are very good.

I don’t agree with this RB mentality of one or the other “starting” and just sticking with one. Hightower is good in certain situations, such as 1st and 2nd downs and running to the outside. His fast cutting upfield from the outside on a wet field was really impressive. He just needs to work on pulling the ball into his body or 2 handing it on tackles. Wells is good on situations like 3rd and short, or 10 or less yards from the endzone because his momentum is always going forward even when being tackled. I don’t agree with the coach using one or the other till they make a mistake.

22. By R Robles on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Some BS fans we got here YES it is frustrating seeing our team lose but dont jump on the other side giving negative vibes FAKE Cardinals fans WE DO THIS TOGETHER If you dont like it dont be a Cards fan WIN OR LOSE be positive hate these fake fans always bashing us real fans

23. By Darren Urban on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Pat –

RE: Skelton

He doesn’t get a lot of reps as the third QB. But no, I don’t think he’s close to starting an NFL game. That’s not a knock on him. But he’s not.

24. By Darren Urban on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

John –

RE: RBs

Well, yesterday, I don’t think Beanie would have disappeared. But Hightower certainly was punished for his fumble.

25. By Christopher Freeman on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

Would you say its not as much of the quarterback struggles but fixing the issue at tackle.

26. By Christopher Freeman on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

U of Arizona , good draft class coming out this year.

27. By Darren Urban on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Christopher –

RE: Offense

No, I would say the No. 1 issue is finding a quarterback. Not even close.

28. By bryan on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Oh yea…Derrick Anderson was the solution…………lol.

29. By Kevin on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

I don’t know if the Cards would be 4-2, 3-3, 2-4 or whatever with Leinart, but no one on the team was complaining when he was released. No one. He had no support from the team. Whether that’s because he didn’t inspire confidence, was seen as more concerned about himself than the team, wasn’t willing to take a hit, was considered a jerk in the locker room, or some combination of the above and other factors doesn’t really matter. Football is the ultimate team game. If the team didn’t respond well to Leinart for whatever reason, he had to go. Monday-morning quarterbacking the situation just because DA was worse than expected is too easy to do.

30. By Ben on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

A lot of people are losing the “in whiz we trust” mantra. I keep reading, and personally believing, that he is losing the fans trust. His play calling is being questioned along with his QB choosing. Couple that with a very undisciplined team and we may start seeing blackouts.

So my question to you:

Do you see any change in the way coach is acting, does it seem like he notices us fans getting upset with his play calling and personnel moves?

31. By dancing sure is fun on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

1st place is ours by a mile if warner didnt go play twinkle toes. I sure am missing him. I’ve been wondering about hall and his studing habits, everyone keeps comparing him to warner and brees. What about peyton manning?? I mean he spends alot of time watching film – then i read that article about him throwing with austin collie and now i cant stop thinking about how does he compare to manning? I know hall’s not 6’5 230 with a rocket laser arm but is he close in skill or is that a long shot?

32. By Mike on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Hightower has cost the Cardinals too much with all of his fumbles. Get him out of there. I can’t even look when he gets the ball. It’s just an eventuality when they give him the ball. He WILL fumbleand cost us another game. He needs to be benched (or traded).

33. By ross on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Assuming Beanie is the guy going forward…
    Do you think he looks different from last year?
    He seems tentative a lot and really not showing any burst. Last year he ran a lot harder. Thoughts?

34. By Darren Urban on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Ben –

RE: Whiz

I think he is acting the same way he has his entire coaching career. That got him into the NFL, made him a successful assistant, earned him a chance to coach the Cardinals and was the way he got this team to two division titles and a Super Bowl appearance. I don’t expect him to change now.

I have not talked to him in-depth about the fans. I know he cares about the fans and has praised — numerous times — the support the team gets.

That said (and these are my words, not his), complaining when things aren’t going well are what fans do. They do it with every team and with every sport. If a coach is making decisions based on the fan base, he probably wasn’t a very good coach to begin with. He should have his own concrete thoughts on things.

Besides, you act like fans are united on whatever topic. Are there fans upset with personnel and play calling? Sure. Are there fans who are not, and blame other areas? Yes. They are all opinions.

35. By shatz76 on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

its this simple you cant move the chains or hold on to the rock you aint going nowhere fast these are paid professionals peroid

36. By Darren Urban on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Ross –

RE: RBs

I think Beanie looks like Beanie. I don’t see any difference.

37. By CZarr on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Gloves are a scary midseason change… I hope it would just be in bad weather. Its pretty difficult to make the switch after playing what I would presume to be his entire career without them.

I recall Leinart making the switch at the behest of Warner and it affected his short throw accuracy. I believe he came back this year without them?

Hopefully Max can make the adjustment if its asked of him. He does have pretty small hands though, it was obvious the grip was a big problem on those balls that were sailing.

38. By IRISHRED on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

It’s great exercise sitting on the edge of my seat hyperventilating! I love you RedBirds; game day heart attacks occur win or lose. This WAS a totally winnable game, but I must say I’m primarily disappointed with Wizard…….Doc is aMAYzing as we’ve all seen, but he really should have been benched for his penalties just about every game this season. “Punish” them all or let them all alone. That’s how you handle children and immature employees. Raising a pint that KW finds his inner Irish.

39. By We'll miss Q on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Another horriuble game from the OVER RATED DRC. He got owned by a bust(Mike Williams). But even worse he comntiues to show his complete lack of discipline and football IQ. I am sorry but anyone who jumps offsides on 3 FG attempt is not only undisciplined, but just not very smart. I know that is harsh but the truth so often is. He refuses to help in run support, misses assignments and now stupid penalties. If Whiz does not bench him(at least for a short time), or fine him then his”Touch, disciplned, smart football” mantra he always promises is just blabber.

40. By CZarr on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

old cards fan,

Its not a highschool offense.. I don’t recall there being an unusual amount of razzle dazzle plays in the ’08 season. The NFL is chess, not checkers.

41. By Ben on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Urban,

Thanks for the response, and you are correct on all points. As always thanks for talking me off the ledge :-)

P.S. I do think all fans are unified that we need to run the ball more.

42. By CZarr on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

John M,

I would have to disagree. I am fairly certain he was referring to this year specifically. The past few years Leinart has been preparing to take over the offense. This offseason, Whiz comes out and praises Leinart, gives him the starting job, and all seems well. Leinart got 1/2 the reps Derek Anderson got during preseason, and was cut abruptly because of a lack of scoring drives and magical intangibles. No one saw that cut coming until week 4, did you?

Obviously the magical intangibles that the other guys supposedly had have not been as effective as Whiz hoped. I do think Leinart was given a raw deal, but that is just the nature of the game.

43. By jim on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

I have never played organized football. That being said, it disturbs me, as a season ticket holder,to witness the speed at which this organization has unraveled.

While each player is responsible for his level of play, the structure of the team lies squarely with management, from ownership on down. With the knowledge that Warner would be retiring sooner and not later and the lack of confidence demonstrated in Leinart from the start, I find it nearly incomprehensible that a NFL team could be left with a barely mediocre QB at best and two rookie backups, one of which has been thrust into the starting position by default. Add into the mix, a third yr RB (Hightower) who still cannot grasp or be taught to secure the ball plus the glaring weakness in protecting the QB, tackle opposing RB’s (seemingly a forever problem) and more. If this were a publically traded company, I would have sold or sold short the team.

Fair or not, I come from a team city (Boston) that from ownership down (Kraft)has assembled the perfect “company.” While not many organizations will have such good fortune, I do expect management to try its best………..Somehow, I don’t get that feeling and it makes me want to “sell short” for the rest of this season and next.

Jim

44. By TILLMAN#1 on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren -

So if Skelton isn’t anywhere close to starting in the NFL then WHY is he on the team? Kind of scary to think he isn’t even close to Max’s or Derek’s skill level? Thoughts

45. By Nick Pepe on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Calvin had a costly fumble yesterday for the Eagles on a punt return, he is not the second coming. Protect the ball, we win the game. I believe the fumbles can be corrected.Defense was impressive for the most part. No panic here. Protect the nest.

46. By Darren Urban on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Ben –

RE: Running more

You may be right. But again, if they don’t complete some passes, the run game is moot anyway.

47. By CZarr on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

To the Skelton lovers,

I understand you are frustrated with the quarterback situation, but calling for Skelton is most certainly not the answer. Do yourself a favor before entering a barley and hops induced Skelton chant from your couch after the next Hall interception and look up his NFL combine performance. He has severe accuracy issues. He’s a good kid, great attitude, but he might have had the worst QB combine this year. His pro day wasn’t much better…

If you want my opinion, the only reason he was drafted was because someone was looking a little too hard for the second coming of Rothlisberger.

48. By Darren Urban on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

CZarr –

RE: Leinart (and probably my final word on the subject, although you never say never).

Please remember this — if Leinart was a better football player, he wouldn’t have gone anywhere. You can argue that point, but these coaches that were watching him every day deemed him not worth keeping. Intangibles play a role too, but everyone knows you keep guys you think are talented. That’s why guys who have issues in the locker room/with coaches/off the field stick in the league, like Moss or Pacman Jones or T.O. Hell, Titans WR Kenny Britt got in a freaking bar fight late last week but he played this weekend and had 200+ yards and 3 TDs.

I’m not saying intangibles didn’t play a part. But if they thought Leinart was really good, they would have found a way to overlook the other stuff.

49. By CZarr on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

We’ll miss Q,

?…. Williams is performing at a NFL WR1 level. I wouldn’t label him a bust. Whiz pointed out DRC had good positioning, but Williams was just able to make the play. The only error I saw was on the touchdown DRC looked as though he guessed Williams was going to cut in, turned, and then saw him catch that back shoulder thrown ball. Even that I think was moreso just a good play by the offense as opposed to a bad play by DRC.

Where do you get that he refuses to help in run support? I am fairly certain I saw #29 on top of Lynch a few times, and they weren’t doing the horizontal mambo.

50. By brad Oneill on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

whats up with that probowl balllot thing coming up every time i try and check in.

hell even if i voted for the cardinals every single time i log in (about 23 times a day) they still aren’t going to see any pro bowls the way they are playing.

51. By Darren Urban on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Tillman –

RE: Skelton on roster

Same reason Aaron Rodgers was on a roster his first season without being ready to play. Same reason Tim Tebow is on Denver’s roster, or Jimmy Clausen in Carolina, etc., etc., etc. You can’t seriously not know that, right?

I’m not saying he isn’t close to Hall. I don’t really know. I know if you put him in, he’s not going to succeed right now.

52. By Darren Urban on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Brad –

RE: Ballot

The splash page is here to stay for now. Sorry. You’ll have to fight through it. :)

53. By CZarr on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

I agree completely. I was merely illustrating the fact that what happened was not expected.

I call it a raw deal, because quite frankly, I don’t think he could have done any worse than the people we are watching throw the football currently as (just my opinion). You yourself thought he would be the starter based on his play at practice and OTAs. Even if he cried like a girl at the end of every interception, I still would have played him over the two we have been flip flopping currently.

I know I know a hell of a lot less than Whiz or Chris Miller, but man… It just seemed like he was set up to fail to me. That being said, if he really was the inferior player, I’d hate to see where we would be right now if he stayed.

54. By Steve Nealy on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

No question here, but I do want to give you kudos for staying the course. I enjoy your gameday tweets as well. You are correct that all fans of all teams and all sports sometimes get emotional. It’s tough sometimes, yesterday being a prime example of a winnable game vs. a team that realistically, isn’t great. (I look forward to the rematch.)

While I feel Whiz should’ve kept Leinart vs. keeping two rookies and DA, I still think he’s the right guy for this franchise. (I just wish we had a definitive answer at QB… the good teams have really good QBs. I’m not that optimistic about our current crop…)

Bottom line: it’s great to have a real Cardinals insider not afraid to speak his mind. Cheers!

SN
    Indianapolis

55. By CZarr on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

While I really… REALLY hope we are in no position to get him on draft day, I can’t help but fantasize about Jake Locker in Cardinals uniform… In a totally platonic way of course..

56. By old cards fan on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

czarr I dont recall DRC covering m. williams on the TD catch it was M. WARE and i know this is not high school but in 08 the off. had more (razzle) with Q who you miss with the wildcat and wr screens GO BACK AND WATCH THE 08 SEASON.

57. By tom manoogian on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

as a cards fan over 45 years,a cards fan for life.i do think we need a qb.that is not a knock on max,but in this league you have to be able to make the big throws.when all our receivers are healthy,we need a strong,accurate qb that can make the plays downfield.the sad part is we have 2 good running backs,they just fumble,does anyone remember terry metcalf.i really believe that with the running backs we have,the receivers when healthy,the only thing missing is a qb.gotta say the d is coming along.the penalties,just stupid.drc does not have to block every field goal,but him being offsides,just give the 3 points and move on.not sure why drc isn’t in on a couple of plays as a wideout on offense,he can catch and is fast.ala roy green.anyway,season isn’t over,but we have to get a qb to save the season.

58. By TBru on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

I think one of the biggest problems in the history of the AZ Cardinals is hire a coach on a 5 year contract, and send him packing after 4 a new coach comes and wants his guys, his system and you basically start at zero again. I think the most successful teams in the NFL have stuck with a coach through good times and bad and let the coach actually build something. Granted no NFL marriage lasts forever but don’t be so trigger trigger happy on firing the coach.

Faneca Keith & Roberts are killing us right now

Nice pro bowl header on the front page. Are we blindly stuffing the ballot box for Cardinals or voting based on merit because short of Kerry Rhodes and maybe Gregg Toller I don’t think I could legitimately vote for any one on this team, not Larry, not Adrian, Not Dock

The Saints are struggling, the Chargers are struggling, Cowboys or Vikings were everyone Superbowl picks. Part of the natural ebbs and flow of football.

Beanie fumbles just as much as much Hightower does. I think we are underutilized The Howling.

I still think Skelton will be the guy, but they don’t want him in this year.

We had had 4 road trips in the first 6 weeks, and won the home games the back end of the schedule looks pretty good for us to enjoy some home cooking and maybe make a run.

looks like Favre’s streak might be done, not topical but I wanted the scoop on the Cards site.

Things could be worse, we could be Niners, fans

59. By Dre on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren–

I need a big favor. Can you ask Whisenhunt why he is leading with the pass with two struggling QBs, especially a rookie QB.

In a rainy, hostile and very loud road game he decided to throw the ball on our first play of the game. WE PASSED 9 OUT OF 12 TIMES TO START DRIVES. In the fourth quarter, there was 13 straight passes with not one run play called.

Do he think we have Joe Montana under center? We can’t put the blame on the QBs when our coach is allowing the same situations to take place from game to game with QB to QB. It is the coaches responsibility to put these guys in the best scenario to be successful…

I really thought we could of took advantage of the pass after we got the run game going good. If we would of hit the back door hard we could of walked out the front easily.

60. By Voice of Reason on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

The game yesterday was a joke. What it proved to me is:

1. Seattle is a below average to downright poor football team. To have only 22 points (five field goals), with the blunders the Cards made, is downright embarrassing.

2. A merely average quarterback would have beaten the Seahawks, and as I’ve said all along, an average quarterback would win this division for the Cards.

3. Problem is, there are no average quarterbacks on this roster. Max, God bless him, had perhaps the worst game I’ve ever seen an NFL quarterback have. Ever. Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t have done better, but I’m not sure I would have done worse.

4. Andre Roberts must never, ever return a punt again. When he talks about needing to “watch film” to see what he’s doing wrong, that’s the first problem. Pop warner players know that you don’t hold a ball out with one hand. Ever. My five year old knows to fall on the ball (not even considering the nature of this particular game).

5. Alan Branch needs to start. At 335lbs, he’s an absolute beast at end.

Dissection of this year’s Cards team is simple. Poor quarterback play = lost season. If they sign Garcia or Rattay, it will not be any worse than it is right now, and in fact, they probably win the division. The rest of the teams are just that bad. It’s a damned shame if we don’t keep the division crown in a year like this.

61. By Bruce Grey Ghost Kasarda on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I have been around football for 45 years and I have never seen a coach handle fumbles like Whiz does. It has to be affecting the confidence of our two dynamic running backs. Beanie does not seem like the same runner this year and THT should have been given the ball another 20 times as he was pounding the Seahawks. Fumbles are going to happen but to be punished and sent to the bench and not get another carry? It has happened to THT twice and it happened to Beanie last year. Can you recall this type of management in college or the pros during your lifetime??

62. By Voice of Reason on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Oh, and one thing I forget. During the offseason they went away from corners matching up with particular receivers, and instead each corner takes a specific side regardless of who they’re up against. Bad idea — DRC has regressed because they just put their #1 on the other side, lull him to sleep, and then burn him for a critical play.

Change it back — when he is on the #1 on every snap, his focus is better.

63. By CZarr on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

old cards fan,

You are absolutely right lol. It was Matt Ware. I withdrawl my previous statement as well. =P

64. By Darren Urban on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Bruce –

RE: Fumbles

Well, it’s not like he didn’t warn Tim. He didn’t punish him for the early fumble against St. Louis and then Tim fumbled again.

65. By Darren Urban on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Voice –

RE: CB matchups

I don’t think that’s right. I think they mostly played sides last year too.

66. By CZarr on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Quote: Voice –

RE: CB matchups

I don’t think that’s right. I think they mostly played sides last year too

I also think he was admonished last year for lack of focus at times, which means, even if they were playing him on the #1 at all times (which I don’t think they were) it still didn’t fix the problem.

67. By chad d on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

can we please stop talking about leinart? anyone? it’s the past and he’s not coming back nor do we need him. seriously guys.

68. By shannonrobinson on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

This is all part of building a winning team – this is early in the season. don’t panic yet.

69. By MikeTheHelmetFlorio on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren. Again muchos appreciation for your tireless work.
    Did whiz mention Docketts brain fart when we stopped them on third down? We were still in the game at that point.
    I pegged 90 as dpoy after he got paid. He’s been anonymous to date.
    Talks wayyyyy too much.

70. By TheFitzB1 on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

I have not been a longtime fan, not as long as some of you. I became a fan when the Cards beat the Cowboys in the 98 playoffs. Since then they have had my heart, and stomped on it. I keep coming back for more though. 08 and 09 we consolation years for me, but it seems they are back to their old ways. I truly hope not. The Cardinals will be better off not winning the division this year. They need to draft a QB, and not in the fifth round. A few things to say:

1. Do the rest of you feel bad for Fitzgerald? I have a hard time watching him because you can visually see he is upset or unhappy. He will not re-sign.

2. Hightower and Wells need to stop the fumbles. Yes, fumbles happen, but over and over and over again? Someone needs to come in and help them, there are methods to be taught here.

3. I would rather Wells and Hightower keep fumbling if it meant that punts and kickoffs would stop being muffed. Seriously. San Diego laughs at the Cards in this area.

4. (Darren, please back this up) Toler is the better of the 2 CB’s. DRC is a favorite of mine (shouldn’t have gone to the PB last year), but if you are a fan and don’t like Toler somthing is wrong. Better tackler, harder hitter, more focused. He does not have the same physical gifts, but his ability to play on the feild always shines through.

5. Dockett needs to reappear. He signed his contract and has vanished. I watched a couple of plays where he would have got to Hassleback had he tried. Maybe it is too hard for him to watch his offense give the ball back to the opposing teams as fsat as possible.

71. By Michelle on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

I am not understanding why we didnt pick up McNabb when he was out there…I mean we have the Offense just no QB. It is such a waste of talent to have fitz out there with numbers like he has. This is completly sad if you ask me. He is a great reciever but the throws he has thrown at him are either way off or behind him. WHY would you let Max start next week “if he is ok” when he couldnt even put numbers on the board!! When he was playing in the Saints game he didnt put anything on the board….It was all Defense. We cant depend on our D every game to win it, there job is to stop the other team. Our Defense was exhausted after this last game because off all the mess ups we had. They would get off the field to rest and then wind up back out there because our special teams or offense messed up. Our offense needs to step it up yeah hightower fumbled again however he has good numbers and so does Wells. I agree Wells should start off this next game. But we need to be looking for a QB and fast because we wont win this division the way things are going. We need some consistancy. We have the Talant we need someone who can throw! I dont think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out that WE NEED A QB!!!

72. By blake on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

I can’t believe some of the things I am reading by fans about the qb situation. Not three weeks ago everybody was calling for Max Hall to replace Anderson. Now, after a poor performance from Max everybody is calling for John Skelton. I guarantee if Skelton were to play and do poorly (which is very probable given how raw he is) all these fans would be calling for another quarterback etc…. It’s laughable how overreactive fans can be. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been a cards fan ever since I was five back in the early 90′s and have been through some real bad seasons as a fan. But here is the deal guys, Whisenhunt sees more and knows more about this team and the personel than anybody will ever know. If he thinks Max Hall should be the starter than he clearly has reasons behind it. Against the saints, Hall made some pretty nice throws for a rookie I thought against a super bowl winning defense. Of course he has a long way to go to be the guy for the future but it’s only been two game…TWO GAMES. I wasn’t ready to “crown” him the future qb after the Saints game, and I’m not about to give up on him or this team after sunday. Hall is a rookie these things are going to happen, and if the cards want to see if he’s the future then let him start and see how it goes.

The amount of overreaction by fans is just stunning to me.

Oh and about the playcalling, I’d like to see any of the fans go down on the sideline and do a better job then the coaches and Whisenhunt…give me a break guys

73. By ross on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Just want to say I appreciate your work.

74. By Darren Urban on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

MikeTheHelmet –

RE: Dockett penalty

I think at that point there was an air of resignation to the loss. But yes, that was not a smart play when you should’ve gotten the ball back.

75. By Dre on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Bruce Grey Ghost Kasarda–

RE: FUMBLES

Steve Slaton lost his job because of fumbles. One less thing the Teaxan have to deal withB. They made a change for the bette in A. Foster.

76. By Chuck on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

CZarr; that was an important bit of info about Skelton having poor combines and Pro Day (provided that you are correct).
    It just emphasizes my point that Graves and Whiz are not making good draft decisions.
    And, until they start making better ones, the Cards will not improve.

77. By old cards fan on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

A true fan would be upset when they know their team not playing up to their potential (offense) a fact it took the off. 11 quarters to score a TD (EXCLUDING JONES FUMBLE RECOVERY)THATS 2&HALF GAMESwith no off TD. C’MON MAN THE TALENT IS THERE THE COACHES MUST FIND A WAY TO MAKE IT WORK when it happens THEY will win the div. GO CARDS!

78. By Stevie on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Thank you, Blake. Miost of these so-called fans sound a lot like Mike Singletary–they are so emotional they can’t think clearly. As a seson ticket holder I don’t like what is happening either, but I trust the coaches to know more than I do and i don’t believe in knee-jerk reactions.
    As for Tim H.–I.m sure no one feels worse than he does and I think he will respond to being sat-down most of the rest of the game. And lets give Max a bit of a break. It was his first away game start–you try to play QB at Quest Field on your first away start in the rain. I hope he will be cleared to play this week at home because it will help his confidence and get him ready for Minnesota. That dome is pretty noisy, too.
    Andre Roberts should not lose his job because of that embarrassing muffed punt return. He did well on the other ones and played okay as a receiver. Look at what the experienced Jason Wright did. The rain even affected Ben Graham’s punting. So we have to tighten up on special teams all round except for La Rod SH. He is amazing.
    Thanks to the defense for giving us something to place our hope on–especially if Washington and Haggans are okay. Go Alan Branch.
    I too feel sorry for Fitz and hope he will re-sign–and that the offense gives him reason to want to. Have Faith Cards Fans.

79. By Fred on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

ADERSON GIVE US THE BEST CHANCE TO WIN. HALLS NOT READY TO LEAD THIS TEAM .

80. By shep on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

why isn’t the Coach getting the heat. He made the call on the QB situation and it has blown up in his face. He will lose Fitzgerald if this continues. This team is fortunate to be 3-3. I wonder if Wisenhunt is having qb concerns about the rest of his season?

81. By georgiebird on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

1) The main problem with the defense is that the main guys are not smart players i.e. A-dub, Doc and DRC. I blame this more on the coaching then the players.
    2) Another observation, D Williams should not be playing over Gabe -don’t care if he’s a #1 draft- he could very well be a bust.
    3) On offense- it’s almost all the QB struggles. What will help stretch the defense is more speed at WR with Breaston and S Williams.
    4) Coming out of the Citadel, Roberts should be a smarter player.
    5) THT swings his arms too much- to a large degree, he should be more interested in the 8-10 yard run then covering up-rather than trying to take each play to the house.

82. By Kim on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

I said it at the beginning of the year, Skelton has the arm and is not afraid to throw the ball and he is accurate, after that terrible game on Sunday they have nothing to lose.

83. By AndyStandsUp on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

What IS the basic procedures for checking for concussions?
    And don’t tell me it’s the player’s agent saying “How many fingers am I holding up, which represents the percentage I lose, if you don’t play?”
    And has Whiz been tested?(don’t go all Florio on me.)

84. By Havasu Tom on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Hi Darren,
    Hall was stuck in the pocket. He’s not at his best playing that way. Not much play action. We played kill the QB stuck in the pocket. He did make a lot of bad throws. Rain does that.
    SPECIALLY BAD TEAMS! They killed us again. If Roberts can’t get it together, kiss his pro days goodbye.

85. By Grabling on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren, Do you think the cards were better when they had Todd Haley as the offense coordinator?

86. By James on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Not trying to be negative here but if the Cardinals dont do well this season Kevin Kolb who has been outstanding with the eagles and is on his last year could he possibly be brought in thanks darren

-James

87. By Darren Urban on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Concussions

Funny thing, Whiz even joked about having concussions when he played.

From what I understand, all players take a baseline test before the season to find out what their “normal” score would be on the test. Then after a concussion, they retake the test to see where they fall.

88. By Darren Urban on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Grabling –

RE: Haley

I think Haley is a good coach.

I think the Cards were better when they had Kurt Warner as quarterback and running the offense.

89. By Darren Urban on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

James –

RE: Kolb

Kolb just signed a contract extension with the Eagles this most recent offseason.

90. By clssylssy on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

Are you kidding? Of course we were better with Todd Haley as offensive coordinator–in case you haven’t noticed KC is kicking it in much the way we were with Haley. However, It is only natural that someone of that caliber would want to move on to being a coach and to pass up a career opportunity to remain an offensive coordinator would at some point extenguish the spark that sets him apart in the NFL. I follow the Chiefs and can see a lot of Whisenhunt in the way he is running that team.
    The odds of us winning in Seattle were against us going in for three good reasons without all the other stuff. There was the weather– Cards have historically not done well playing in the rain and cold;we’re desert creatures and it’s totally foreign, against our physical makeup and something difficult to prepare for. There was the Home Field Advantage and the noise factor–just as we have it at University of Phoenix, same holds true for Seattle which is one of the loudest venues in the NFL, and then there is the QB matchup. Matt Hasselback is a veteran who has been to a Super Bowl up against a rookie on his first road start. We have a lot of talent on this team, we have good coaches, and given the fact that the roster was completely descimated with the loss of some of our best talent, we’re really not doing all that bad. Coach Whisenhunt comes with a pretty impressive resume and I trust in his judgement over a bunch of armchari quarterback. Hall was the winningest QB in the history of BYU beyond some NFL greats including Steve Young. He is smart, tough, and has the desire to become to be great. The sadest thing about the Cardinals is their fans who, for the most part, are a bunch of fair weather bandwaggoners and not true believers. Look around, there are teams worse than us and we can still take the Division.

91. By Ross on Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

I found this interesting…
    Since Beanie and Tim started playing together:
    Timmy 192 carries for 915 yards (4.8ypc)
    Beanie 219 carries for 912 yards (4.2ypc)

perhaps that is why Hightower is tough to bench.
    And he only has 3 more fumbles than beanie, which is bad, but its not like Beanie has a clean sheet.

92. By John M on Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

Czarr

Matt was praised for pre-season prep,and then OTA in which the Cardinals weren’t in pads, playiing actual football. When it came down to brass tax, he wasn’t a good enough football player to make the team (Like Darren stated).

You have to remember…. “reps”, isn’t just what you see in PreSeason games…. he was working for weeks and weeks with the first team offense in practice, and wasn’t getting results their either. It had nothing to do with how many preseason game passes the guy threw.

93. By CZarr on Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

Chuck,

It is. Just google the combine and pro day videos for him.

John M,

Eh.. I am done talking about Leinart. Darren also stated that he thought Matt would be starting at game 1 based on performance in OTAs and practice. While he has a much more firm grasp on football than either of us, I am sure, he can still be wrong. lol Can you really say that situation played out like you thought it would?

94. By Prasad on Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

What worked between Kurt and Larry was that Larry used to run, then stop and get the pass from Kurt. I do not see this routine being followed in this season. Wonder why? That worked in deceiving the other team.