Jefferson signs, McDonald released

Posted by Darren Urban on October 26, 2010 – 1:29 pm

The Cardinals made a roster move Tuesday by swapping cornerbacks: rookie A.J. Jefferson was promoted from the practice squad while Brandon McDonald — who was brought in off waivers after the Browns cut him at the end of training camp — was released. Jefferson has always intrigued the Cards with his athletic ability, and this way, he can’t be signed away from the practice squad by another team.

Tags: ,

33 Responses to “Jefferson signs, McDonald released”

1. By B-Rad on Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

Doesn’t really matter who they acquire, unless its a QB or OL. Our OL is terrible and we no longer have a QB that can make up for it. I’m sure Hall would be good enough if he had enough time to throw and didn’t get knocked on his behind on every other play. The run game sucks and I doubt its Beanie and Tim’s fault. Replace the OL in its entirety. I’m sick of watching them get man handled.

2. By D on Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

Coach Whiz just needs to stick to the run longer and try to keep out of 3rd and long. Will this be the week we see the kid from Wisconsin with Haagans hurt?

3. By Eric on Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

B-Rad,

What does this have to do with the posted topic. We all know there are offensive issues.

4. By card62 on Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren

Interesting move. I was hoping McDonald would improve enough to be our number 3 or number 4 CB once he learned our system.
    Why do you think he did not work out for us?
    Go Cards beat Tampa Bay!

5. By Rich on Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

I liked this Jefferson kid in pre-season. size and athleticism. was hoping they’d retain him.

6. By Ben on Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

Can Jefferson catch a punt with two hands and if he cannot not does he know how to fall on a loose ball???

If so then I love this move!!!!

7. By B-Rad on Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

Eric,

Did you read my post? I was commenting on them making moves at the wrong position. I guess since they have offense issues we should not discuss them… I hope they start addressing the real problem with this team, and its not the cornerback.

8. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

Can we just stop signing cast-offs from the Cleveland Browns? Jason Wright was a keeper, but the rest have been duds.

9. By phoenixraven1 on Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

Any news on Hall’s medical status?

10. By brad o'neill on Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

maybe aj can return punts?

I really thought we would see more out of Stephen Williams, if only he could improve his effectiveness, I think coach would be comfortable putting Breaston in on punt return duty and give a few of his reps to Stephens.

11. By TucsonTim on Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

So the Browns rejects aren’t working out very well for us. Never could have seen that coming.

12. By tRiGidY on Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

Jefferson is going too be a piece in the future! maybe in 2 years but now??? Guess when u have holes all over throw the Rookies to the Wolves!

13. By cardfan on Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

totally agree 100% with ottis anderson

14. By akcard on Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

Would have liked the change be Marshay Green instead of Jefferson. Green played better than Jefferson in preseason and was a good punt returner in college.

15. By Peter in Canada on Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

I for one am glad they made this move. Jefferson looked good in the pre-season. He showed size speed and physicality. I think he’s someone the coaches can work with.

Darren- Do you know if he can be a special teams guy?

16. By shannonrobinson on Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

I thought a turning point occurred at the beginning of the fourth quarter, Arizona ball, 2nd and goal. I was expecting the Cards to run Beannie twice and score the touchdown up the gut or off tackle. We need to have more confidence in our run game – the two pass plays were goofy. Beannie scores the TD and we’re within 5 points and we look relentless, but we threw the alley oop….The offensive line deserved the chance to power the ball over the line. Beannie Ball is Wells overdue.

17. By Darren Urban on Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

Peter –

RE: Jefferson

I’m not sure he will be active on game days. I am hearing teams might have been interested in signing him away, and they had to promote him or lose him.

18. By AndyStandsUp on Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

I know it’s a little off the subject but wasn’t Benjamin Patrick tempted by the Falcons to sign with them but he felt an allegiance to the team that drafted him?
    And what’s the pay increase for AJ from practice squad to 53 man roster?

19. By Chuck on Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

The posters who are complaining about Browns castoffs are right on the money.
    Whiz has an obsession with AFC Central personnel.

20. By Jeff Gollin on Oct 27, 2010 | Reply

I liked the move because it continues to move us along the development-profile of talented corners who can cover (contrasted with the McFadden zone types we had too many of in the past).

What we don’t know are (a) the expectations the coaches had for Jefferson while he was on the PS and (b) what he’s shown them since he was first placed on the PS.

I couldn’t help but notice that Greg Toler was in on 11 or 12 tackles last Sunday. It could be that Wiz expects opposing OC’s to continue to throw a lot at our “non-DRC corner” and promoted Jefferson (similar in style to Toler and DRC) in order to shore up depth at the position in case Greg were to break down.

21. By Darren Urban on Oct 27, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Patrick/PS

That does ring a bell. Although I think the Cards did the same thing at the time, promoting Patrick.

The pay from PS to minimum rookie goes from $5,200 per week to $19,117 per week.

22. By Michelle on Oct 27, 2010 | Reply

I hope Hall does something this game. I think he did horrible considering he couldn’t even put any points on the board. Thats kind of important. Oh well we can sit back and watch our poor Cards go down because we cant even put a decent QB in there. Hopefully our Defense can win this game for us or start winning most of them. Good Luck Cards!! Go get em!!

23. By T Goody on Oct 27, 2010 | Reply

Dang maybe I should try and get signed to the practice squad, ill take that money a week to practice playing corner again, Peoria hometown hero

24. By Dre on Oct 27, 2010 | Reply

By D

D

Re: The Wisconsin Kid

I doubt he will be ready. We are just going to have to suck it up and play on with a injuryed player or Alex Hall…the three time loser orginally from Cleveland.

Where fat at safety not LB, I mean we only run a 3-4 defense, you know…who needs extra OLBs. And don’t even think about Shawne Merriman becuase he’s not what out type. We like guy who are cheap, inexperienced projects.

25. By Dre on Oct 27, 2010 | Reply

C’mon Mann…

they just never stop with the comedy

10/27/2010 Cardinals sign LB J.D. Folsom to the practice squad.

26. By Maunka on Oct 27, 2010 | Reply

I can’t understand why we have a Quarterback on our roster (Derek Anderson) that can’t throw to one of NFL’s most prolific receivers, Larry Fitzgerald (a.k.a. Spider Man). It is so sickening to watch the ball land at Larry’s feet or land out of reach. Really?! How is this guy a pro? Go Mad Max! Go Mad Max! Learn that playbook, strecth the field!

27. By Edward on Oct 27, 2010 | Reply

Can only help when it comes to DB Depth..,speaking of DB’s..,Greg Toler has “had a whole lot on his plate”and overall has done a SPECTACULAR job..,that being said he earned some real estate (in the form of a picture)on my bedroom wall..,and I can see him in Pro Bowl if “X-Amount of Folks are as observant!” Seriously, Regan Reese hasn’t even found her way to “The Wall of Fame”!

28. By Eazy E on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Naw he coached in the afc north no duh he’s gonna be interested in that division’s players Mcdonald didn’t really get a chance especially after our starting cbs, I think he could have possibly beat out our other cbs on the active roster

29. By ras j on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

good move i think.. maybe jefferson can cover a reciever like mike williams on the goaline better than ware.. but thats asking a lot from a rook… i cant get my head around why toler or drc wasnt on him.. top cb’s on the team cover the top wr’s is wut i think should be happening.

30. By Greg Toler Advocate on Oct 29, 2010 | Reply

Now CB Brandon McDonald is a Detroit Lion! Another of my all-time favorites “Dre Bly” went that route! We will work with what we got and not question authority behind those moves! AND DON’T FORGET TO ROCK THE VOTE: “GREG TOLER” for Pro-Bowl!

31. By Jess on Oct 30, 2010 | Reply

Max Hall will consistently throw interceptions and fumble. He did it in college and will continue in the NFL. If you think he can get better in the NFL at it your in for a long one.

2. Oct 26, 2010: Cardinals Release CB Brandon McDonald | The Other 31