Back in black

Posted by Darren Urban on October 28, 2010 – 4:55 pm

In case you are living under a rock – or at least, not reading the stuff on this site, in which case you probably wouldn’t be reading this either – the Cardinals will be breaking out the black alternate jerseys Sunday for the Halloween game against the Buccaneers.

So, you know, wear black if you are coming (and don’t already have one of the black jerseys.

“Aw, man, it’s going to be blackout crazy,” wide receiver Steve Breaston said. “I can see the fans now, get a little Oakland Raider-type masks in the crowd. I can see it rockin’ — if everything goes as planned.”

“It’s good to see the black jerseys. It’s a cool time to have it, on Halloween.”

The Cards first wore the jerseys for the preseason finale against the Redskins. They can wear them twice in the regular season. The other game has not yet been announced, although it seems like the Monday night home game against the 49ers would be strong possibility.

“You wish you could wear them more than three times,” Breaston said. “I like to switch it up. Like I’ve said, any time you can go to something new, you’re excited about it, right?”

Tags: ,

37 Responses to “Back in black”

1. By Bryan on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Thoughts on what Jaws had to say about Hall?

ESPN analyst Ron Jaworski used his access to coaches’ video at NFL Films to watch every pass Hall has thrown this season. His take, via KTAR radio in Phoenix:

The one thing we’ve heard about Max — the moxie, the leadership, all that — those are all wonderful attributes for a quarterback. But the attributes you have to be able to have to be successful week in and week out over a long period of time is the ability to throw the football accurately and with velocity. And clearly, when I look at the tape, I don’t see either of those. I don’t see the ball going down the field. You see the bubble screens, the bootlegs, throwing the ball in the flat, nothing down the field. You just don’t see a skill set that projects to be a consistent NFL quarterback. Things don’t look good when you’re on the field with Max Hall. It’s that simple. I’m sure he’s a wonderful guy giving everything he’s got, but the skill set just isn’t there.

The one thing I’m beginning to see seep in is the wide receivers not finishing their routes, not working as hard as you have to. They’re just not getting the football and when it comes their way, it is inaccurate, it’s bouncing at their feet, it’s high, it’s behind them, so receivers begin to lose the confidence in the quarterback. These aren’t things that I’m making up. These are things I look at when I see the tape. The eye in the sky doesn’t lie. You’re going to see the receivers become disinterested. They don’t want to be out there lead blocking for power sweeps and stretch running plays. They want to catch some balls. It’s an outstanding group of wide receivers. But you can see when the ball is not coming down the field, when the explosive plays aren’t designed. You’re going to lose the receiving corps.

———————–

At some point this season when we are essentially out of the running for the playoffs – say by week 12 or 13, the Cards are going to have to start Skelton to at least give him some actual reps right?

Hall isn’t a long term solution at QB
    DA isn’t a long term solution at QB

Why not give the 1 guy on the team with an actual starting QB skill set some playing time…even if it will be filled with rookie mistakes?

2. By OLDude on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Hey Cardinals !! .. I personally don’t care if you wear pink tutus – JUST win the game !!

3. By Beezus on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

“Back in Black” – i like that. Hope to hear that AC/DC tune over the PA, along with lots of “Running with the Devil”. Let’s go Cards and lets get this win!

4. By ross on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Do they have to wear white pants? I want to see black pants. I mean, its halloween.

5. By Pheenic Cromartie on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

I love those black jerseys. Remember how good Max Hall did in the pre-season finale? Maybe the black jersey’s will spark something in him!

Go Cardinals!

6. By Eric on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

@Ross

I agree, they should be wearing black pants with the black tops. The white pants just look “off” to me. It make the combo look generic.

7. By MikeG on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren— Hope the Cards play well in the black uniforms. Maybe it will provide an emotional boost for the team. I heard Ron Jaworski from ESPN really write off Max Hall as an NFL player. He questioned his skill set and basically said he is not an NFL QB. These so called experts really are ridiculous. How can you even evaluate him at this point. He has played 2 games! There is a growth process involved with a young QB. I’m sure many good NFL QB’S struggled in their first 5 to 8 games. Here’s a guy Jaw’s that thought Cade McNown would be a star QB coming out of the draft– What a blowhard!!! Do think you can even give Max Hall an evaluation at this point???

8. By A on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

so they want to do a total blackout in the crowd and have all the fans wear black?? even if it’s not a jersey?

9. By Kyle on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

So why can they only wear the black so few times?

10. By We'll miss Q on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Bryan, How many times does Darren have to report that EVERYONE on the coaching staff(who know a heck of a lot more than you) feel Skelton is at least A YEAR away from being able to play?

Why not ask Darren if he thinks Kurt will come back, or if the Cards will go after Mcnabb?

11. By Cardscat4L on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Just win the game.

12. By brad oneill on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

jaws is going to eat his words on that one. The thing jaws hasn’t seen is how max operates in practice. he is accurate, he can get it down the field. if you judge him based on two games sure he looks terrible. but if you saw him toss it in training camp or in the preseason you saw what he can do. it is going to take a bit for max to get his sea legs so to speak but i have confidence the kid can throw the ball.

13. By TucsonTim on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

I seriously doubt Jaws just wanted to pee pee on our parade. Max doesn’t have it and he never will. He certainly won’t have “it” in the playing lifetimes of our elite veterns, A-dub, Fitz, Dockett… We have this mess because the BidWILLS didn’t want to spend the money it takes to get a real NFL QB one year before the lock out.

14. By Eazy E on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Seattle and Arizona was a crazy game. Max couldn’t complete a pass and why do we have a te blocking a de especially a speed rusher who knocked max out. DA got us going a little bit but he gotta be more consistent. Hightower did have a big fumble but no carries for the rest of the game is ridiculous, he’s one of our best players on either side of the ball. Beanie got it going but not enough to basically bench hightower. Fitz is a great player and teammate because I wouldn’t be mad if he went T.O. on the cards because I don’t blame him. T.O. complains because he wants to win and Fitz is at the brink, he might not ever blow up but he is definately frustrated. Andre made some plays good and bad. O-line did an alright job. Defense played extremely good, alan branch dominated with 2 sacks and a ff, porter got a sack and a few pressures, calais got a sack and daryl washington got one. We did a decent job against the run marshawn got yards but was under 4 yards a carry which is extremely difficult to do and secondary played well as a whole DRC neutralized mike williams the whole day and cardinals fans need to shut up before they get on one of the best cbs in the league, but why was ware on mike williams on that td stupid DRC needs to shadow all #1’s PERIOD!!! Defense kept stopping them from getting tds and taking fgs. Larod broke a big one he’s like our deion or hester back there always got a big play coming. Our ST was also good and bad, wright can’t try to catch that ball let it go to Larod and Andre fall on it or corral it and go. That wasn’t pretty and we gotta do better and have a complete game from all three facets on our team.

15. By AndyStandsUp on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Hopefully with a win the Cards will be “Back in THE Black” with a 4-3 record.
    There are a few games during the season when teams have a “make or break” kind of game.
    To me, this is one of those contests. I won’t jump off a bridge if they lose nor scream to the heavens they’re Super Bowl-bound if they win. But in my opinion, this showdown is an extremely important one.

16. By Darren Urban on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

A —

RE: Black jerseys

I think that’s up to you.

17. By Darren Urban on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Kyle —

RE: Alt jerseys

That’s just the rule. Once in the preseason, twice in the regular season.

18. By Bryan on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

If you look at all the un-drafted QBs over the past decade who went on to become winning successful starting NFL QBs. None of them were 6’1 inaccurate weak-armed passers.

The odds are Max isn’t going to beat that trend…despite being a hometown hero and having a great story.
    Talent wins in the NFL…not a great back story.

There is a reason the Cardinals drafted Skelton in the 5th round and didn’t bother selecting Hall at all.

I’d like to just trust Whiz that he knows what he is doing and that Hall has a good shot to be starting NFL QB. But there is nothing there to convince me that is the case. Whiz has burned bridges with two young QBs so far(whether he had fault with it is unknown). He luckboxed into getting a HOF QB as his backup. He hasn’t developed a great o-line, or a great running game, now a QB of the future.

Whiz and Graves have screwed up things with the QB position in an epic fashion. 1 season doesn’t give them a pass for that.

19. By Phoenixraven1 on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Why do you care about their pants lol!

20. By tguinn89 on Oct 29, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Will the all black Jerseys be a regular thing next year?

21. By Michelle on Oct 29, 2010 | Reply

Larry Fitzgerald Signs Autographs at Westgate

22. By Darren Urban on Oct 29, 2010 | Reply

tguinn —

RE: black jerseys

They can only be worn twice in the regular season.

23. By Peter in Canada on Oct 29, 2010 | Reply

Bryan- You are correct in that the Cardinals drafted Skelton and didn’t draft Hall because at the time they felt Skelton to be the better prospect. However things can change. The only thing that Jaws or anyone else outside the coaching staff can say with certainty about Hall is that he is 6 feet one. The weak arm and the inaccuracy is based on a very small sample i.e. the Seattle game played under difficult conditions. He didn’t to me look weak armed or inaccurate against the Saints or in the preseason against the Bears and Redskins. In any event Warner had a weak arm last year because of injury but it didn’t slow down the passing game. Warner also quite often had a problem hitting the running backs on short swing passes but I wouldn’t call him inaccurate. I for one think the coaching staff have far more knowledge about the situation than Jaws. Also, I think the coaching staff will not throw Skelton under a bus if he’s not ready. Darren do you think the problem with Hall is a lack of experience rather than a lack of an arm?

24. By Darren Urban on Oct 29, 2010 | Reply

Peter —

RE: Hall issues

I don’t know that yet. I do know he is going to get more chances to show one way or the other.

25. By john on Oct 29, 2010 | Reply

I was very vocal in the offseason about what the cards should do and what made sense.
    I wanted Porter and we landed him.
    I was for drafting a LB and NT with our first two picks and we landed 2 pretty good players.
    I was for trading Boldin, and letting Rolle and Dansby go. Along with trading for Rhodes.
    I was not a Leinart fan, and was happy about his release.
    Finally, I thought Derek Anderson was a good pick up.I thought he would be a good “stop-gap” till we drafted a QB next year (as next years draft could have 3-4 very good QBs)
    The problem is , Anderson didn’t grab his chance and really played poorly.
    So that leaves us with no QB this year. Max Hall catches the coaches eye and Coach Whiz has decided to see what this 25 year old rookie has.
    Even though Hall hasn’t looked good and Jaws is openly tearing him apart. I have to agree with the move. Again, given the circumstances, its the smart thing to do.
    If Hall isn’t the man, draft a Ryan Mallot next year and you could have the QB spot done for the next 10 years. If Hall can show he is a solid NFL QB , then the case is closed.
    I dont agree with everything the Coach does, (like the 3rd round pick), But this is the logical thing to do long term for this team. And maybe short term as well.

26. By Bryan on Oct 29, 2010 | Reply

You do realize that if we draft a rookie QB next year to be our starter Larry Fitzgerald will be playing for a different team in 2012?

We can’t franchise him.
    If you’re Larry Fitz do you stay and play for a possible 1st round bust like Locker or Mallot or do you sign with a Super Bowl contender and play for a Manning, Brady, Rivers etc?

Something tells me Larry wants money but he also wants SB rings and a HOF jacket. As is he won’t have a chance for those in AZ unless we do something dramatic in the off season.

Cards fans don’t seem to realize that the Cards success the past couple of years was mainly due to 2 huge factors – We played in one of the worst divisions of all time and had a HOF QB. The QB is gone and the division is going to be very improved over the next couple of years.

27. By Peter in Canada on Oct 29, 2010 | Reply

John- A well-thought out post and I agree with eveything you said and almost everything the coaches did with the possible exception that Porter has not quite lived up to expectations so far. I expected more sacks by now. As for Hall I stand by my previous post and Darren’s response. The sample on which to make a judgement on him is too small. As one blogger said Jaws predicted greatness for Cade McNown(I’m not sure about the spelling that’s how great he was).

28. By Jahstone on Oct 29, 2010 | Reply

So…fans…please wear black whether you have a jersey or not, the point is to wear BLACK! Similar to the “all white” worn during the Coyotes home playoff games. If you come with your Scarlet jersey, it too closely resembles the TB home uniforms…if you come in white, that is the furthest color from Black. BACK IN BLACK TO STAY UNDEFEATED AT HOME…the Cards need their FANS!!!

29. By Dre on Oct 29, 2010 | Reply

Bryan

Re: MAX HALL

Thanks for the insight on Hall outside of the local AZ forum. It’s always good to get a different perspective on any subject. You know it’s not good when you have to root for a guy oppose to want to.

I asked a question the other day about our QB situation. If you back up to preseason…It just made sense to me that if you had four QBs and had to cut one why not the one who went undrafted in the recent draft. The undrafted QB seems like the likely one who could have cleared waivers and resigned to the teams practice squad.

I’m not calling for Whisenhunt’s job (maybe as the play-caller) but he screwed up big time by releasing Leinart. Leinart was the only QB that could have gotten the job done RIGHT NOW. Whisenhunt is truly exposing himself to us this year and he has to be accountable for his mistakes as well. Yeah there is still plenty of football left but you can’t ignore some of the things that have taken place thus far.

Regarding Leinart, we still had plenty of good players where the QB didn’t have to do a lot for us to win games, like a game manager. We got two good RBs despite one who can’t hold onto the ball, a really good receiving core, a good kickoff return guy who gives us great field position, a good punter and a defense who has shut down potential.

Like I said…all he had to do was not turn the ball over which he was not doing in preseason and put the ball in the hands of the guys who could make a play. I guess we can’t do anything about it now but rant and say “I told you so” but what good would that do. Let’s just see what is in store for us this week.

Sometime I wonder if Max Hall isn’t just a stage prop like “Black Jerseys on Halloween” to keep a person in their seat. Who doesn’t like a good story and a kid getting a shot to be a starting NFL QB for his Hometown is hard to beat. No matter how bad we looked on offense to this point, it is still hard not to want to root for AZ prodigal son.

30. By Scharf on Oct 29, 2010 | Reply

Bryan

RE: Hall/Fitzgerald

As far as your analysis on Hall, being 6’1″ is not an NFL QB no-no. I mean really, your judging him based on his height? If you really want to look at a successful QB that was considered relatively short for the NFL, look at Drew Brees. I mean really the guy is probably around the same height as Max Hall if maybe a little taller. What did he do last year? Won the superbowl. So you can’t tell me that somebody can’t do something based on their looks, it all comes down to can he get the job done. So far I haven’t seen anything out of Max that I would consider replacing him. His first game was pretty good, not amazing, but good enough to win, he did what DA couldn’t, connect with Larry Fitzgerald. Although his last performance wasn’t amazing and he went 4/16, he didn’t lose 3 turnovers this time around. Besides that, everybody on offense and special teams struggled.

Now regarding Fitzgerald signing with another team. I honestly don’t think he would. Now I can’t be 100% sure, but… number 1 receiver.. huge fan base.. has a legacy here.. I just don’t know if we would see a number 11 jersey in any other color but Red. (and Black on those special days).

I predict right now that Hall will bounce back, as will the entire offense. Hightower will be able to run free among the Bucs secondary, and Fitz will have a good enough day to give Hall another chance.

31. By Richard S on Oct 29, 2010 | Reply

and Edgerin James was excited about wearing black shoes. It’s not the uniform.

32. By Richard S on Oct 29, 2010 | Reply

I see Jamarcus Russel says he’s read to get back in the game and he does have a strong arm.

33. By Bryan on Oct 29, 2010 | Reply

I’m judging him based on his height (which matters in the NFL), and if you can’t understand why then I probably should just end this conversation. I’m judging him on his lack of arm strength. I’m judging him based on how all the NFL teams in the league judged him. Max Hall is not worth drafting in the NFL draft.

Very few non-drafted college QBs go on to become quality starting QBs. Take a moment and think about it and then name that the ones who do buck the odds – what do they have in common.
    They typically are solid in terms of physical skills…but need years to develop the mental ones. Romo, Warner, etc.

I’d love for Hall to do well and I hope he does. But that doesn’t mean I can’t see reality. The reality being it is far more likely (probably like a 90% chance) that we will need a new QB next year and/or Matt Leinart was a much better option in case Derek Anderson failed (which pretty much everyone in the NFL besides Whiz and Graves knew that he would).

Reality vs. fandom.

I’ll root for Max…hell I even rooted for DA. But the reality is Whiz and Graves massively screwed up and should be held accountable despite reaching the SB two years ago.

34. By Rich Harris on Oct 30, 2010 | Reply

What’s with the black uniforms? I’ve NEVER seen a black cardinal. They’re not tha arizona ravens, or crows. They are the arizona cardinals and should ALWAYS where their CARDINAL RED proudly!

35. By Darren Urban on Oct 30, 2010 | Reply

Rich —

RE: Black jerseys

Cards wanted a third jersey. And players have been asking for a black jersey for a few years now.

2. Oct 28, 2010: Tweets that mention Word From the Birds Blog -- Topsy.com