Where there’s a Will …

Posted by Darren Urban on October 28, 2010 – 2:20 pm

Will Davis was a defensive end in college at Illinois. He’s been a linebacker since the Cards took him in the sixth round of the 2009 draft. His days as a D-end are long over. Kind of.

“I am out of that world,” Davis said, laughing. Then he reconsidered. “It’s kind of a rush end, it’s an end with sugar on top. That’s how I consider it.”

Davis will start if veteran Clark Haggans can’t go. And Haggans, who hurt his groin, doesn’t seem likely, although coach Ken Whisenhunt said Haggans has played in the defense long enough he could go without practicing all week. Not that Whiz has a problem turning to Davis.

“Will played 24 snaps in last week’s game and he played well,” Whisenhunt said. “That gives you confidence. Last year, when he got banged up (with a knee injury) at the end of the year, he was playing well then. So I have seen it twice. I think the light has come on for him.”

Davis said that when he got to the league, “I had never really heard about routes and things like that,. Now, the way game has slowed down for him is “crazy. Like night and day. Coach (Matt) Raich said he sees me evolving.”

“I feel like I am better equipped to start because of Raich getting with me to watch film,” Davis added. “I always practice like I am going to start. I am always trying to push Joey (Porter) and Clark.”

– Whisenhunt said WR Steve Breaston looks good and should play this week. LB Gerald Hayes also has a couple packages put in for him and “he’s pretty close to being ready to go.” Even with the injury to Haggans, Whisenhunt sounded less certain about activating LB O’Brien Schofield, because he is a rookie and hasn’t played yet. If either Hayes or Schofield are activated, however, that also means the Cards must make a corresponding cut on the roster.

– DE Alan Branch was added to the injury report with a sore back, and he was limited Thursday. He still should be available, I’d think. The rest of the Cards’ injury report stayed the same. Haggans was out and four guys besides Branch were limited: Breaston (knee), WR Early Doucet (groin), CB Greg Toler (back) and Porter (groin). I’d think all will be able to go.

– The Buccaneers’ injury report is long. C Jeff Faine (quad) is already out. Fellow offensive linemen Jeremy Trueblood (knee) and Keydrick Vincent (back) sat out again, although CB Aqib Talib (calf) went from sitting out Wednesday to practicing fully Thursday. DE Kyle Moore (shoulder), LB Geno Hayes (knee), WR Preston Parker (knee) and DT Brian Price (pelvis) also sat out.

– The game Sunday is officially a sellout, so the game will be televised on local TV. And don’t forget the Cards will be wearing for the first time in the regular season their alternate black jerseys.

– The Big Red Rage will be tape delayed on Sports 620 KTAR tonight because of the Suns broadcast, but it will be live at Marjerle’s at Chandler mall beginning at 6 p.m. as usual. Adrian Wilson’s guest will be Branch.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

17 Responses to “Where there’s a Will …”

1. By Nick Pepe on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the update. If the D continues to play they way have been, this should be a “W”.

2. By Eric on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

I don’t mind the black jerseys so much. I do with there was more red incorporated into the design. I just think the pants look awful. That kinda ruins the whole look for me.

3. By Tyrelle on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

BEtter get it together is all im saying even with the injuries.

4. By Khardz on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

-Darren
    Big Red Rage tonight?

5. By Darren Urban on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Khardz —

RE: Big Red Rage

6 p.m. with guest Alan Branch.

6. By cheesebeef on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

our fans get a lot of grief, but with us playing unwatchable football at times this year and a really non-descript Tampa team coming to town, I gotta give big props to our fans for continuing the sellout streak. Let’s hope Wiz’s mastery of the home-field continues and we pull out another W as this team slowly finds it way this season. a 4-3 record at this point in the season would be great and with that three game stretch at home looming in late november, a W here can keep us in this sucker until the bitter end this season, which is all I was hoping for going into the season.

Go Cards!

7. By Casey on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

RE: Ron Jaworski’s assessment of Max Hall

Just wondering if you have any thoughts after reading Ron Jaworski’s assessment of Max Hall after he watched the coach’s video of every snap Max has taken this year?

I would love to hear a rebuttal from a Cardinals coach or member of the front office. Has Max really shown something in practice that isn’t translating to the games? Even if he were, I’d discount it heavily given that practice is never game speed and he’s never really exposed to any real hits throwing the ball around on the practice fields.

Are you concerned with Jaws’ observation about the wide receivers?

Thanks,
    Casey

8. By Darren Urban on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Casey —

RE: Hall

Given that you’re already discounting potential rebuttals, not sure the point of this conversation.

9. By georgiebird on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Glad to see Will get a shot. The defense will never get better unless younger guys with bigger upsides make a splash. Yes, Will could bomb out but if he becomes an impact player he could follow Toler and Branch as new guys getting it done. Haggans like B. Robinson should be insurance backups to younger players. I also would like to see a lot more of Gabe and less of Dan W.

10. By Chuck on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Re: Jaw’s assessment of Hall’s ability;
    It would be significant if other retired QBs e.g. Simms, Marino and Aikmen (sp?)
    had similar assessments.

11. By Eazy E on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

I hope clark play because I like will but our pass rush hasn’t been strong so far, the last game was the best yet with 5 sacks and lots of pressure but other players aren’t taking care of business consistently because dockett is getting doubled and calais, porter is coming on, and others gotta help him out. We need clark we need everybody getting after the qb.

12. By AndyStandsUp on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

If Hayes plays, could Washington get some snaps at OLB? He played there at TCU, though not as a true Sam or Will.
    Speaking of weakside LBs, will Will play Will or won’t Will be willing to be a Will Will?

13. By TucsonTim on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Casey –

I’m curious too. What has he shown in practice that we have yet to see in a game that is so compelling that we benched a vetern who repaced our no 1 draft pick future franchise QB. I mean CURIOUS doesn’t even begin to describe it. Rebuttal, forget that; how about some facts.

14. By redredred on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Jaw needs to think of Dick Vermeil and how he was given the opp. Give Max a chance, give him a season to prove his play. jeez he only has had 2 starts, man peeps are hard on the cards (inc the fans)

15. By Ross loves Cardinals tickets on Nov 3, 2010 | Reply

Cardinals will surely get the title this season as all the tough ones remains at the bottom…..

2. Oct 28, 2010: Steve Breaston (knee) returning Week 8 | Fantasy Demon