Allergic reaction hampers Beanie

Posted by Darren Urban on November 4, 2010 – 1:52 pm

Running back Beanie Wells said it was an allergic reaction to a lubricant injection for his right knee — and nothing that happened in a game — Monday that caused the swelling that has limited him in practice. Because of that, he and coach Ken Whisenhunt are hopeful it will have dissipated by tomorrow and allow Wells to go back to work. Both stress nothing is wrong structurally.

The procedure isn’t uncommon, Whisenhunt said. Steve Breaston has used it. Whisenhunt himself has used to to ease knee discomfort. It’s just that Wells’ knee reacted badly. He plans to practice Friday. Whisenhunt said Wells definitely needs some work Friday in order to play Sunday.

“You want to go out and play full speed, not when your knee swells up and I can barely bend my knee,” Wells said.

Whisenhunt said the lubricant is called “Orthovisc.” “It’s nothing more than a way to help the knee, to improve the knee,” Whisenhunt said. It’s a method you do periodically, to “help the knee settle.” Whisenhunt said it is effective.

– For everyone still wondering about the Cardinals offensive line, former lineman Ben Muth writes up a details appraisal of the unit — and is fairly complementary — right here for Football Outsiders.

– The Big Red Rage is tonight at 6 p.m. at Majerle’s at Chandler Fashion Mall. Adrian Wilson’s guest is cornerback Michael Adams.

– Cards HQ, normally televised on FSAZ Wednesday nights, will debut tonight at 6:30 because of last night’s Suns game.  This week’s edition includes the decision to start Derek Anderson, a look at the Cardinals new “Hammer” formation and ‘Wired’ with Stephen Spach.

– Finally, remember my comments about Randy Moss (which I stand by, BTW)? I never said he wouldn’t make the Hall of Fame, but I insisted he wouldn’t be a first-ballot guy. Many disagreed. Well, Jason Whitlock crystallized my thoughts right at the top of this column.

Tags: , , , ,

51 Responses to “Allergic reaction hampers Beanie”

1. By cardsbigredfan on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

WHO CARES WE DONT NEED BEANIE TO BE HEALTHY!!!!!!!!!

GO TIMMYYYY HIGHTOWERRRRR. GO CARDSSSS

GO HARD OR GO HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. By PWalker on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

Speaking of Michael Adams I think he is a great special team guy. But as soon as he comes into the game as a DB he obviously has a target on his back. He gets outsized and gets no help, what about using somebody who is less height challenged in those spots.

3. By Nick Pepe on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

I think I am over Sundays loss. I couldn’t talk about it. Couldn’t watch replays. Painfull. That was a tough one to get over.

Geat article on the offensive line. I liked the way the offense moved the ball (when it wasn’t headed the wrong direction!). I do question a couple of play calls. I believe the 3 picks were all on first down attempts. And the last one well, would have been a great call if it was executed properly but it wasn’t so …..bad call. They had no timeouts, and momentum was on our side.

I once again think opportunities will be there off of play-action, but DA has to hit them. Also, I hope he is trying to develop some touch on the dump-offs.

Defense, just keep doing your thing. I think they are making great strides. Active and opportunistic.

Darren, do you think Randy Moss made the Titans a playoff team? I personally think he is a melanoma, carcenoma…..some kind of NOMA!!!! (from “Fletch”).

Thanks,
    Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

4. By ross on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren, if beanie can’t go, who starts? Hyphen or Hightower?

5. By Darren Urban on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

Ross –

RE: RB starter?

Hightower.

6. By Darren Urban on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

Nick –

RE: Moss on Titans

I think Tenn was already a playoff team.

7. By Nick Pepe on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

Are they still a playoff team now that they added him? Can he be the ice berg? For that matter are the Cards a playoff team?

8. By Darren Urban on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

Nick –

RE: Playoff teams

Get back to me Jan. 3 :)

9. By Eazy E on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

Jason Whitlock is a moron and Hightower should start

10. By chad diegle on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren, can you get your crew to fix the pro-bowl ballot screen? It doesn’t seem to work with mobile formatting. At least not for me. Hate to gripe, and I keep pretending it will just get better without my bringing it up. Thanks!

11. By Casey on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

Can we get some quality interviews like this out of azcardinals.com? Would love to see more investigative journalism out of you. I think you do a great job given the circumstances, but I encourage you to challenge the company line a little more.

How do you think Whiz would react to this piece (since I know no one will ask him directly)? Does he need to be more careful not to let his own unique path in life cloud his ability to remain objective in evaluating the paths of others? I think parts of this interview are quite telling in that regard. I also think fans are sensing more and more of a certain myopia/stubborness/arrogance from Whiz in his handling of not only the QB situation, but the transition of the offense in general (including play calling responsibilities).

Trust me, we are all just hoping that the QB situation and the offense will begin to flourish so we can all stop asking “what if?” But until that happens Darren, this is just human nature. Everything in life is analyzed in hindsight- my performance reviews every year are in hindsight as I’m sure yours are as well. At the end of the year, do I wish I had handled some things differently in hindsight? Absolutely, but we all only get so many “do-overs.” I think Whiz probably has a few left, but clearly, for a head coach in the NFL, decisions regarding the QB carry more weight than any others.

Thanks,
    Casey

12. By Joe daddy on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

I would like to see larod get some more carries. seems like hes been successful in the few chances he’s had. Beanie and Larod would be a good combination and a good change of pace.

13. By Darren Urban on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

Casey –

RE: Interview

That’s all fine. You feel Whiz isn’t objective with Leinart. I believe you have made that point before. But you think Chuck Price (who is a good guy, don’t get me wrong), who is Leinart’s agent (and for whom Leinart is his main client) is objective about the situation?

14. By Darren Urban on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

Chad –

RE: Ballot

I will pass it along, but it is through the NFL.

15. By Joe daddy on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

Hey D. Do you think there is a better chance of seeing OBscho this week>? Hate seeing joey porter out there on every down. I think Miami was right, hes more of a situational player. We need some speed on the outside. we got rid of okeafor and b-train retired. We pretty much replaced old guys with old guys. Lets see what some youth can do on the outside.

16. By BigTom on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

I really liked this comment by Larry about his season so far. This attitude is the reason he is such an awesome person, on top of being an awesome player.

“You have to earn everything you have in this business,” Fitzgerald said. “I’ve got to continue to work hard, practice hard and things will work themselves out. I’m not a complainer; I’m not going to put my head down. I’m not going to do any of that. I’m a man. When the good times I roll with them and when the bad times come, I roll with them. I will deal with it.”

What are you thoughts on this comment? Do you think we will be able to get him to stay after 2011?

Thanks again for all you do. You are great at keeping us out of state fans informed.

17. By Peter in Canada on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren- Great response to Casey. When a guy tells you what you want to hear he’s objective. When he tells you what you don’t want to hear he’s biased.

About Skelton. He is not playing because he’s not ready but how will he ever be developed if he doesn’t play? It’s a catch 22. Warner came out of nowhere because he learned his trade in Arena football and NFL Europe. Since NFL Europe is no more would it be possible for players such as he to go to Arena football or the CFL to get experience while having Az retain his NFL rights? If he has to learn only from the coach and the few reps he gets in ptactice it might be a long time before he is ever ready. Your thoughts.

Thanx Peter

18. By TucsonTim on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

It’s a performance enhancing drug, it’s just not a steroid or growth hormone (although you can mix in a little GH if you want ’cause they can’t detect it)

I’m sorry but look at all of the great backs for the last 20 years. 5-11 or a little shorter and 220. Over 6 foot in this league doesn’t make it. Probably an anatomical thing. Yeah, I know Jim Brown was 6-2…you think Beanie is Jim Brown who never missed a game or “laid down” in 9 seasons. I’d just like to know who said draft him, was it Whiz???

19. By TucsonTim on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

Go to the Houston Chronicle web page. They’re killing their coach for his defensive scheme against the Colts. I’m thinking Whiz is thanking his lucky stars right now because he has no scrutiny whatsoever. He can say whatever he wants and no one in this organization has to take responsibility for their decisions. Are you amused by all of the McNabb call outs on this blog? All we have for this QB debacle is a crummy az central report that says the Cardinals “briefly” considered McNabb before deciding to go a different direction. Imagine that happening in a real sports town with real fans and real reporters

20. By georgiebird on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

The offensive line will be fine.
    Once again, it’s the defensive team’s lack of football smarts along with the QB mistakes- these are the two main problems.
    On Beanies injuries- his body has been taking a pounding at a very young age. At his age, Beanie could still be a junior in college.
    Go Cardinals-I’m wishing for a heads-up game where we don’t beat ourselves with the ugly, stupid stick.

21. By Darren Urban on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

Joe Daddy –

RE: Schofield

The concern is that OB will be where he needs to be. He has gotten very few reps in practice. I doubt we would see him in stuff other than special teams.

22. By Darren Urban on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

BigTom –

RE: Fitz

Right now, I still think the likely scenario with Larry is that he signs a long-term extension here.

23. By Darren Urban on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

Peter –

RE: QB development

Great point, and one that is a topic around the NFL — not really having a “farm” system, even for QBs. That’s what gets lost with Warner. Yeah, he was basically a rookie when he played with the Rams but he had played a ton of pro football up until that point.

24. By Darren Urban on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

Tucson –

RE: Your first comment

What the hell are you talking about?

25. By Darren Urban on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

Tucson –

RE: Arizona reporters/fans/teams

Explain to me what “real” means. My guess is, when you say “real” it just means multiplying the negative voices by, what, a thousand or so? Ten thousand? So you just have that many more criticizing?

Let me ask this question — if this was a “real” market with “real” reporters, just what do you expect would happen? So if 200,000 people asked for McNabb, they’d cave to pressure and would’ve signed him? Is that how you want the team run? Heck, we can just submit personnel questions as our poll question of the week, and then Whiz/Graves can do whatever the fans want. Is that what you expect?

Fans in every city kill the coach if something goes wrong. That’s what fans do. I am guessing Gary Kubiak isn’t reading the Houston Chronicle web page.

26. By Kevin on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

Casey, shocking that a Leinart adviser would have good things to say about him with looming contract negotiations, isn’t it?

27. By Chuck 1 on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

Re: Peter and Skelton;
    An analogy to Skelton’s inability to gain experience is when a kid applies for a job and the interviewer asks for his experience related to the job for which he’s applying. And, of course almost no kids have any experience.
    It’s a catch 22.

28. By Nick Pepe on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

@ Tucson…..Do you think the Eagles would have traded McNabb to the Redskins if he had anything to offer an offense? Hand him to a team in their own division? Do you think one of the top offensive coaches in this generation would have yanked him at the two minute warning during a gaame still in reach? He is not the answer. Obviosly. They should be praised for not pursuing him.
    You should apply for a GM position. Preferably in the NFC West.

29. By Darren Urban on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

Chuck 1 –

RE: Skelton

And it’s no different than almost any other QB — save for maybe first rounders — in the NFL.

30. By Kahrdz on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Do you see AJ Jefferson on punt returns if they decide to give Hyphen more carries? I haven’t heard much from him after he was activated last week just that he had been looking good in practice squad.

31. By Darren Urban on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

Kahrdz –

RE: PR

Andre Roberts is the punt returner.

32. By Kahrdz on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

yeah I meant Kick Returner my bad.

33. By cardsfan28 on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren, just wondering why Keith is starting ahead of Bridges this season. He seemed to hold up Jared Allen pretty well last year. Did Keith look better in camp or what?

34. By TucsonTim on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

The “lubricant” is a drug FDA approved only for osteoarthritis. Using it “off label” in athletes is legal. It enhances their performance, yes or no? Is it safe? Dr Whisenhunt certainly seems to think so. Orthovisc is supposed to be pretty hypoallergic, hope they tapped and cultured his knee

I would guess they are also injecting platelet rich plasma. My growth hormone comment although true, was purely tongue in check, sorry.

35. By TucsonTim on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

Nick -

Thanks, I’m pretty sure I couldn’t do worse. By the way isn’t it pathetic that one of the greatest offensive coaches in the history of the universe had to have his son try to bail him out of his ridiculously pathetic decision, which worked out how well: hike, sack fumble TD..I can’t stop laughing

36. By Darren Urban on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

Cardsfan -

RE: Keith

They have been grooming Keith since he arrived. The thought always was he’d step in when Gandy’s contract expired. It’s about developing young talent.

37. By Harrison on Nov 5, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren will you be posting the “wired” with Stephen Spach for those of us that don’t live in AZ? Thanks!

38. By cardsalltheway on Nov 5, 2010 | Reply

And before this latest Moss fiasco when I mentioned the Cards coach ought to be a bit more like Brad Childress[the handling of Viking QB(s)] you were quick to point out that Childress is hated by many/most Viking fans. Now, you seem to be ready to hi five Childress/give him credit because…..he cut Moss for saying he didn’t like this or that kind of food?
    On your guy Jason Whitlock who said…”I say make him(Moss) wait until he appreciates it(HOF).” So when Jason Whitlock and his kind determine that Moss has started eating/liking all types of food or stops commenting it, then maybe Moss will deserve to be in the HOF?

39. By georgiebird on Nov 5, 2010 | Reply

There are definitely defensive plays for OB depending on how good he really is. If OB was one of the best pass rushers on the team then he should be used on passing downs -no doubt about it.
    If OB is just a run of the mill LB then it would be better to use another player who is more familiar with the sets.
    As a guy whose strong suit is rushing the passer, OB probably plays a position that requires less training camp time than any other on the team -even less than special teams where there are specific protocols.
    Once again the question is “how good is OB”.

40. By Jeff Gollin on Nov 5, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the heads-up re FSN-AZ’s Cardinals Hq.

Unfortunately (for some inexible reason) FSN blacks this out to DirecTV subscribers in NJ (& probably elsewhere).

Why do they do stuffl like this? What does FSN-AZ gain by denying TV access to a Cardinal fan living 2,000 miles away? (One thing’s for sure – blacking out highlight shows to distant viewers certainly doesn’t help the building of a Cardinal national fan base).

41. By cardsalltheway on Nov 5, 2010 | Reply

Brad Childress likes a veteran at the QB position just like the Cards coach did with Kurt Warner. After last years off the chart performance by a forty + year old QB HoF’er(Brett Farve) who just had off-season ankle surgery,Childress chose not to sell high which could’ve been a mistake since he has another M. Vick like experienced QB in Tavaris Jackson waiting on the sideline. The Cards coach however cut the last piece of Kurt Warner he had(Matt Leinart) and put all his marbles on an undrafted rookie(Hall) instead of another rookie(Skelton) drafted by his ownself/Cards organization who is bigger, stronger, and practically just as fast than Hall. Anyway, Childress never initiated one QB controversy then at the very least has allowed a 2nd and now a 3rd Cardinal QB controversy exist in the attempt to reinvent the QB wheel(by replacing HOF QB with undrafted rookie when countless other options were available at one time or other since K. Warner retired) as the Cards coach has done.

42. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Nov 5, 2010 | Reply

Let’s hope it’s just an allergic reaction and not really staph.

43. By Darren Urban on Nov 5, 2010 | Reply

Harrison –

RE: Wired segment

Yes, it will be posted Saturday afternoon.

44. By Darren Urban on Nov 5, 2010 | Reply

Cardsall –

RE: Moss

If you read everything out there on Moss, it’s easy to see the food thing is not what got Moss cut.

And as for Childress, these are two different kinds of issues. In fact, I think Childress did the right thing, assuming these many instances of Moss undercutting him internally were true. Bottom line, Moss doesn’t play hard all the time and picks and chooses when he wants to be a team player. That’s why the Pats cut him, and ultimately, why the Vikings did. And why, at some point, he will be a cancer on whatever team he is on.

45. By Darren Urban on Nov 5, 2010 | Reply

Jeff –

RE: Blackout Cards shows

I am trying to find this out.

UPDATE: My answer was basically there are NFL rules that prevent such shows from being aired out of market. My guess is that it has to do other clubs trying to “steal” fans.

46. By Peter in Canada on Nov 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren -

Since you answered my question re the lack of a farm system for rookie QB’s to gain experience was it not impractical for the Cards to keep 2 rookie Qb’s in the first place. Shouldn’t a decision be made re Hall/Skelton because as the second stringer Hall is holding back Skelton’s development because he gets more practice time. If the Cards think Skelton has the potential to be a force in the future shouldn’t he be elevated to #2?. Is it somewhat like having three goalies in hockey when there are only 2 nets in the practice so the third goalie doesn’t benefit very much?

Thanx Peter

47. By Darren Urban on Nov 5, 2010 | Reply

Peter –

RE: Skelton/3rd QB

He gets little work, you are right. But if they don’t think he’ll be ready this season, they have another offseason to go and could always elevate him next year. Besides, given that the starting job isn’t set, you can’t afford a project at No. 2 like if you had, say, Peyton Manning there.

48. By james on Nov 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Just letting everyone know to stay positive GOOO CARDINALS Anderson can do good if we give him time to throw! Gooo cardinals win the nfc west everyone get ready for an upset!!

-JAMES

49. By nik23j on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

We need a QB, plan and simple!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get Mickael Vick to AZ!!!!! That’s all I have to say.

2. Nov 5, 2010: Word From the Birds Blog