Iwebema to IR, Cards sign Obiozor

Posted by Darren Urban on November 9, 2010 – 12:50 pm

As expected, defensive end Kenny Iwebema’s knee ligaments are torn (surgery is to come), leading the Cards to place Iwebema on injured reserve and ending his season. The Cards went out and brought back linebacker Cyril Obiozor, who spent a little time on the Cards’ active roster earlier this season. Obiozor then moved to the practice squad, where the Chargers plucked him for their active roster — briefly. He then was moved to San Diego’s practice squad, from which the Cards have now signed him.

UPDATE: The Cards have signed DE Ronald Talley to the practice squad and they released LB J.D. Folsom. Talley was most recently with Green Bay.

Tags: , , ,

48 Responses to “Iwebema to IR, Cards sign Obiozor”

1. By johnnybluenose on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

hhmmm…….does this mean obiozor will be paid by both the cardinals and the chiefs for the same day that he belonged to both of them?

2. By Secret on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

This is probably a blessing in disguise, having more depth at LB in all. Way to take one for the team Kenny

3. By Juniorrow on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Is BILLY DAVIS still coaching our defense? Please get rid of him and sign somene who understands offenses, football situations and doesn’t panic at the end of games. Anyone can call a game in the first half.. But the real men show up in the 4th quarter. BILLY DAVIS hasn’t shown up yet. Or shown he can put the DB’s in a position to make plays. The seconday has minimal INT’s. He blitzes only in the first half and some of the 3rd quarter.. But when the game is on the line his tail goes between his legs and his playbook shrinks. There is an apparent pattern through the last 2 playoff games last year and the first half of this season that shows BILLY DAVIS’ style of defense is too allow as much points as possible. Please get someone else in there.. YOU CANNOT GET WORSE THAN WHERE YOU ARE AT ON DEFENSE WITH SOMEONE ELSE. Don’t blame talent because we have as much talent in the room as any defense in the league.

DAREN

4. By Gary on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Waive Billy Davis, Waive Billy Davis, Waive Billy Davis…let’s get the chant on! He needs to be shown the door…

5. By Gang6230 on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren. What’s ur take on changes in the offseason does wisenhunt have the freedom to do what he believes it’s best for the team
    Cuz the qb situation has to change

6. By Darren Urban on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Gang –

RE: Whiz freedom

He obviously plays a big role in decisions. But as with many places, there is a budget and other people have input.

7. By scott cook on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

I havent seen too much from Big Dan Williams yet. How has he been playing? Also I know its a long time away and I am not calling for him but is Skelton still what they expected? I have heard reports that he is just totally lost. Thanks!

8. By Nick Pepe on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Darren – I cannot recall tougher back to back losses in all my years as a fan. I felt hungover even though being on call l could not enjoy any adult beverage of my choice. I remain convinced however that there is a playoff football team in that locker just waiting to put it all together. I hope they flick the switch this Sunday. I consider Sunday a must win. Do you?

@ Juniorrow : I think the defense was in position to make plays, they just didn’t make them. Some good passes can’t be defended, not matter how well the reciever was covered. Could they have played better at the end? Yes. But I don’t think the blame should be on Coach Davis. Just my opinion. And it is “as many” not “as much”….
    Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

9. By Darren Urban on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Scott –

RE: Williams/Skelton

Williams is doing fine, according to coaches. And Skelton is right where he was expected to be.

10. By Darren Urban on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Nick –

RE: Losses

Yes, I believe Sunday is a must-win.

And as painful as those two games were, considering a) where we are in the schedule, b) what is coming up and c) expectations on this team, I have to say the two wretched performances against the Vikings and Patriots late in 2008 when the team had finally won a division title and were going to the playoffs were frankly much more painful at the time because of what everyone thought that team could be (and actually turned out to be).

11. By Nick Pepe on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Point well taken on the 2008 late “run”. Thanks for your input.

12. By Kevin on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Is it possible that Donovan McNabb might join the Cards next season

13. By Brad Oneill on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

I thought the defense looked terrible the last two weeks as well. our lack of pressure at the end of the games is horrible. lets gamble a little and at least go down swinging instead of having everyone frozen in place.

i think this may have a lot to do with our defense getting tired at the end of games. They have been on the field way too much lately. if nothing else coach should milk the clock for our two plays before we throw the interception or are three plays before we punt it.

14. By Rocky G on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren… Just wondering… why is everyone picking on the defense…
    without their efforts ( including special teams ) where would we be??? you cannot expect them to be the source of all your points… then pull out some miraculous victory.. after spending the majority of the time on the field anyway… I wonder… does anyone see what i see??? the two PAINFULL loses… break them down… its not the defense.. the tampa bay game.. in position to tie… struggling quarterback… no confidence… who called the pass play??? ( the O.C. ) the vikings game… a first down prob ices that game… 3rd and 10 i believe it was… WHO calls a 5 yard slant play… needing 10 yards!!!
    EVERY ROUTE should have been at least beyond the sticks!!!!! PLEASE… its not the D!!! it is the O. C. !!!! if you look at the super bowl season. ( Haley is the O.C.) then compare the next seasons stats.. same personell… ( whiz is O.C. ) the drop off is not about personell… it is the O.C. Haley leaves… becomes head coach… hires a O.C. so he can focus on head coach.. and look at the results in K.C. I like Whiz.. he is a good head coach… but the proof is in the pudding.. we need a O.C. as much as a quarterback.. WEhiz as head coach only… great results!!! as coach and O.C…. the results speak for themselves.. ( just thinking outloud!! ) have a bleesed day!!!

15. By Casey on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

RE: Great Article Today

I know you don’t need to hear it from me to feel good about your work (nor should you ever), but I think today’s article “Eight to Make it Right” is very fair and objective. I think this is the honest, accurate perspective that most fans are looking for.

As much as I may seem like a “Debbie Downer” all the time, I’m really just hoping that this team/organization won’t revert back to the Dark Ages, and I do think that we as fans/media play a role in holding everyone accountable and not letting past standards become acceptable again. That’s honestly all I’m ever trying to do with my posts. If we go back to expecting 5-6 wins a year out of this franchise, that’s exactly what we’re going to get. It’s like any other product or service that you pay for, if it doesn’t live up to your expectations, you either take it back for a refund or you request that the service provider/product manufacturer get it right the second time. When coaches/players/personnel professionals aren’t putting an acceptable product on the field for our consumption, I’m going to do whatever I can to enforce accountability. Hopefully that doesn’t mean cancelling season tickets, but rather, I hope I can accomplish that through forums like this.

And believe it or not, I do agree with you that this team has the talent to win a very mediocre to bad NFC West and it must start this weekend against Seattle. It’s over if AZ can’t rally to win this game and can’t take care of business against St. Louis and San Fran at home. To me, those are all “must-win” games at this point. The margin for error has narrowed significantly, but it hasn’t disappeared completely.

Thanks,
    Casey

16. By OLD CARDS FAN on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

I guess this is the only way the cards get air time Trent dilfer of ESPN just named the cards def. the biggest dissapiontment of the week.def.must play physical 60 min.

17. By MikeG on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren— How many wins do you think it will take to win this division. Looking at the schedule –the winner of this division might win 7 or 8 games. That bodes well for the Cards!! Cards have to go 5 and 3 in the 2nd half and win some division games!!! Sunday is a must game!!!

18. By Doc on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

What is your take on Paris Lenon? It seems he gets little to no commentary. Perhaps I am misguided, but it seems he does his job as well as anyone in the league right now. I understand the business of recognizing marquee names and high draft picks but where is the old fashioned recognition of job well done? I am of the opinion that if Lenon gets jarred from the lineup, there is trouble for the back 8. The secondary seems rather porous.

19. By Walter L on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Did the coaches consider bringing back Dean Muhtadi?

20. By Josh on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

I swear D Anderson is soooooo pathetic If I owned the team Whisenhunt and Billy Davis would be gone, I bet a million bucks Leinart would have done soooo much better, and I called it to. I’m from ohio so i have witnessed DA’s pathetic play first hand, he is soo sooo awfull and Max Hall IS NOT the answer either, They had best draft a QB in the early early first round next year because thats were they will be thanks to whishunts poor poor judgement of QB’s. and I would like to thanks The Bidwells too for alowing such a stupid move to happen just as we were turning into winners,

21. By rasj on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

the defense gets no time to rest.. between 3 n outs.. kickoff returns for TD’S.. and fumble return for TD’S i can see why they are tired at end of games and get no pass rush… i think we should sign al harris… this doesnt help the offense but we will have more turnovers and possibly score more points cuz our offense sure isnt.

22. By Peter in Canada on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Rocky- The drop off from 2008 to 2009 was marginal in the passing game but the running game improved. Wasn’t there a problem in 2009 throwing the long ball due to Warner’s shoulder? I don’t see a problem with playcalling in 2009 and I think the problem in 2010 is due to execution more than anything. Darren your thoughts?

23. By APCards on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I think that it would make much more sense in the offseason to take a good look at Marc Bulger for a reasonable price (5 mill) say over massive money on McNabb. That would free up money for other positions of need such as a big time middle linebacker. Didn’t Warner mention after last season that he thought Bulger would be the right fit? What are your thoughts between the 2 choices assuming both are available? Also do you see the Cards looking for a QB next year in the first round for a couple of years down the road?

Thanks!

24. By McNab's future on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Hyphen deserves for a proball selection. He is the most valuable player on the roster. He represents determination and dedication. He needs to be on home team webpage to get his vote. I am not sure what the other guys did differen beside lossing, but they are getting their pictures on the home webpage. Please fans join me to vote for Hyphen for Proball. He has the heart that is larger than the whole team. Thanks

25. By Chuck 1 on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Casey,

Did you put the essence of your latest post on the Fan Feedback website?
    If not, how do you expect the organization to know what you (and, many other fans) think?

26. By Darren Urban on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Doc –

RE: Lenon

I think Paris has been solid this season, perhaps surprisingly so.

27. By Darren Urban on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Peter –

RE: Playcalling/longball

I think the Cards need better execution, yes.

28. By Darren Urban on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

APCards –

RE: Bulger

I’m not sure how much he has left. But yes, he would be a consideration.

29. By Darren Urban on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Walter L –

RE: Muhtadi

30. By Chuck 1 on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

I’m thinking back to the preseason when the media was dissing the Cards and placing them 20th or lower in the Power Rankings.

Well, “we are what they said that we were”.

31. By tRiGidY on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Its time to Fire Whiz!!

32. By Mr. Know It All on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Get healthy soon K Iwebema.

33. By RodgersCromartie for PR! on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

God please dont tell me Whiz is looking into Mark Bulger?

34. By Mr. Know It All on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

The NFC WEST has a combined 13 wins the bottom of the league. Cards are one game outta first place you win your division you go to playoffs. Yes the panic button has burnt out from being on all the time and the nay birds are flappin with the 30th ranked offense and the 28th ranked defense, I admit the Cards don’t look good. But there have been glimpses on a team that with so many changes plays have been made for 5 TDs on defense and 2 TDs on special teams, if the offense can get consistent only 11 TDs and put some points on the board this will be a playoff team.

Don’t be surprised if who ever wins the NFC WEST has a losing record going to the playoffs. Let’s just hope that the Cards can make the most of the 5 of 8 games left will be at home.

35. By LA Cards on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Shame about Iwebema, he was ferocious.

Even with the losses it seems the Cards are picking “it” up a little. I’m sure the D’s blood is boiling over by now. Billy’s too. Last year around the Giant’s game i think Davis was quoted saying “we play better when we’re angry” We need a heavy dose of 4th Quarter Crazy Juice.

I predict a good response from the Cards this weekend. Red Pants?

36. By Kent on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

Juniorrow

You say that about Billy Davis yet on the drive near the end of regulation, the play that killed us a little screen to Peterson that ripped off 30+ yards. Davis bought 6 players on the blitz. He does blitz with the game in the 4th quarter and on the line. Sometimes the offense has the perfect play called and defenders miss tackles.

To me when we blitz it is telegraphed, there is not enough confusion, not enough overloading, not enough to make the opposing QB think about the defense rather than executing his play. That is why we always seem to struggle to defend the pass.

37. By Havasu Tom on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

Good Morning Darren,
    What went wrong:
    1) We don’t do Billy Davis modified prevent defense very good. Keep blitzing.
    2) What happen to carving up the opponents when they blitz(Kurt Warner).
    3) Where’s the hot route audibles.
    4) Why was D.A. left in the pocket at the end of the game to be destroyed.
    5) Its proven that Farve doesn’t handle pressure well.

I know Whiz keeps everything even keeled. However, we need a plan to score when the chips are down. I saw improvements this week early in the game. D.A. threw much better, keeping touch on his passes.

If we can’t get the hot routes going, we’ll be riding this elevator down to the cellar.

38. By mike white on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Where did you get the stat on UP stadium having the best false start average this year? I need to throw it in the face of a few Hawks fans on Sandos blog.
    Thanks,
    Mike

39. By tRiGidY on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

Draft A.J Green guy is a Beast!! An sign a Free agent qb in off season!

If we are not able to re-sign larry, green can plug in!
    If larry does re-sign,he has another play maker on other side in Green like Bolden was!

Im sure a lot of QB’s would want to throw to them! Fitz,Green,
    plus Breaston’s contract is up! an he is a free agent!
    an Early can’t get onto the Field, an is always hurt!!

40. By Bill L on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

Do Cards wait for a Cowboys moment, or will they do what is rational NOW….SOON? The coaching staff is weak. Changes are needed top to bottom. I think the D can play on a high(er) level with better coaching. It is the entire O that needs to be evaluated through the second half of the season. How bad is the O Line, really? that is the question. Will a first round pick be needed to shore it up, or do they have the raw talent to be coached up….so that the first can be used on a NFL quality QB? You can’t have a good O without a good O line. Are the Cards that bad or just underperforming. If it takes 2 years to fix this mess, so be it. But, I don’t see how anyone can trust this current staff to be part of the solution. CHANGE NOW……evaluate…..and start back with the draft.

41. By Darren Urban on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

Mike –

RE: False starts

It was within this week’s Cardinals’ press release (of which Sando also has access).

42. By MOVADO on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

Is it just me or do the Cardinals have some of the more finer cheerleaders in the
    NFL.

WHAT! and like pizza too.

43. By disappointed_card on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

Get Kevin Kolb

44. By jocards on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

Well this weekend we’ll find out a lot about who this team is…I don’t think there is much question it is a must win game. Three losses in a row, got to have this one against a division team. I’m not overly optimistic about this team, they just don’t look very good. If they are to make this season a success they’ll need to play much better over the last 8 weeks than they did over the first 8 weeks. When you think about it there hasn’t really been one week where you could honestly say they clearly and convincingly outplayed their opponent and that scares me a bit. Not to say they have not outplayed anybody but an argument could be made they have not. Doesn’t really matter, the record is 3-5 and they need a win this weekend badly.

45. By Walter L on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

Wow, just a couple of months ago it was “In Whiz we trust”, now people want to fire Whisenhunt!? Insanity! How many other coaches have taken the Cardinals to the superbowl? Deep into the playoffs? Put one of the top offenses on the field? Well unless you’ve been following the Cards since the 40s-50s, then the answer is ZERO. Before 2008, the only time we were in the playoffs was in 1998, won at Dallas, then lost to Minnesota. The truth is, Whisenhunt is probably the best coach this team has ever had, and I can’t imagine firing him would help at all, present or future. Look at the atrocious crop of personnel he inheirited in 2007, look at how much he did with that, and look at the team now. Fire him? I like that we have standards here now, but when your Hall of Fame QB retires, and you have as many personnel changes as the Cards did, your team is going to struggle. Yes, it was stupid of the staff to not have a viable back up plan for the post Warner era, but did you think that Matt Leinart was the next coming of Steve Young? HA! He’s a 3rd string QB now! This will be an UGLY season, but it’s not lost yet. At 3-5 the Cards are still only a game behind in the division, and it’s not like this is the AFC East. But I will say, Billy Davis needs to replaced or needs a major motivational talk with the people up stairs, because he is not getting it done. The bend but don’t break philosophy isn’t working anymore, and that defense needs a new scheme that works. Now Donnie Henderson, that guy can put a defense on the field, and he just so happens to be our DB coach. Whiz also needs to lessen his load and name a legit OC. There’s absolutely no reason for him to divide the offense between 3 people and call the plays himself. Think Todd Haley in 2008. Sorry about the rant, but I’m sick of hearing our fans react in the manner in which they have. Try to be optomistic, but be realistic too, there’s a reason the Cards weren’t picked to win the division. At least we’re not the San Francisco 0-9ers. lol Go Cards, ride or die! One fan still has Big Red’s back.

46. By David on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

As a Cardinal fan since the days in St.Louis I have seen this over and over…all I can say, even if the Cards squeak through into the playoffs…with the QBs we have…its one and out…..My mind is already into next year….the QB position, bring in a vet and work with Skelton….and sent Davis a one way ticket of his choice…well, maybe not his choice…

47. By BGCardsFan on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

Hi Darren, is Steve’s (Breaston) knee back to %100 yet? I know he was limited in practice a bit last week and was just wondering how it’s coming along.

48. By Darren Urban on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

BGCards –

RE: Breaston

He is no longer listed on the injury report.