Whiz: No staff changes coming

Posted by Darren Urban on November 15, 2010 – 11:34 am

One of the subjects many have asked about is changing the coaching staff now — relieving Bill Davis of defensive coordinator duties, or bringing in an offensive coordinator. Coach Ken Whisenhunt said those inquiries were “fair,” but aren’t going to happen. Not now.

“I really haven’t,” Whisenhunt said when asked if he has considered staff changes. “Our guys have been working very hard. They feel as bad as everyone. We have a competitive staff that have shown they can do a great job. I don’t believe in that, especially not in-season. We are going to continue to try and put our players in position to be successful.”

– Nothing new on the injury front. Waiting and seeing on LaRod Stephens-Howling (hamstring) and Jason Wright (concussion). Whiz did say holding Beanie out was a “let-him-get-over-the-hump thing” and finally get rid of his swelling, rather than a numbers issue with the roster. That seems to say Beanie should be back this week. And I emphasize should.

– They are going to be careful with Darnell Dockett and his bad shoulder. Once he gets his strength back, he’ll play again.

– Whisenhunt isn’t planning on any personnel changes right now.

– By the same token, he believes the game plan worked when it was executed right. He mentioned, for instance, there were times when the pass rush was supposed to come from the outside to contain Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck and it instead went inside, giving Hasselbeck a chance to move outside and make a throw. He called the D’s play inside the red zone “symbolic” of what the defense could be.

– Whisenhunt said the staff had already been turning the heat up on practices and he didn’t think practicing hard/well was an issue. It’s getting it to work on Sundays.

I will have more later, after open locker room.

Tags: , , , , ,

75 Responses to “Whiz: No staff changes coming”

1. By Zach Z on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Sounds like a Veteran move by Whisenhunt
    lets hope it plays out the cowboys made staff change recently and it was a big win for them but after everything this season the Arizona beast is there it just needs to be awoken again
    good luck guys and Whisenhunt keep doing the great job your doing in this rough time

2. By John on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Someone needs to inform Whiz the definition of insanity… doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. This season is done, get rid of all the useless people now, I’m sure the Bidwill’s wouldn’t mind saving a few pennies

3. By Ben on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

Whiz and his BS rose colored glasses. Not even consider it? God I wish Whiz was my boss, If he was I would be reading Cardinals news all day instead of working without the threat of being fired.

Oh wait….

4. By Steve on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Did Billy Davis just get he dreaded vote of confidence? Uh oh!

Whiz made a comment last night about the safeties bing left on an island in some packages to cover receivers down the field.

Is it Davis or Henderson who designs these types of schemes? Without Rolle we don’t have safeties who are great in coverage, it just feels we are setting A-Dub up to fail by asking him to cover receivers and pass catching TEs down the field.

Same type of thing with Hayes down field on TEs. He isn’t Dansby, he can’t run with fast TEs. Yes it workd last year but we had moe talent and speed last year on D.

Feels to me like we didn’t make adjustments to the personel on the field this year.

5. By John rennecamp on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Whiz can talk all he wants about execution but it’s painfully obvious that Adrian can no longer cover recievers. He looked like a fool out there. I think he should be moved to LB. He’s still a valuable player but his cover skills are gone.
    Why can’t we cover Williams? 3 catches in 2 games coming in, then he gets 11 after getting 11 the first game?
    The Rams are clearly player for player the least talented defensive team in the division but their defense plays well because they play disciplined and know their assignments. We seem totally lost defensively.

6. By cards62 on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Whiz is the head coach and this is no surprise from him as he is too proud and his pride only hurts our team with Leinart, Faneca, Bill Davis, and Russ Grimm.

This is why you have General Managers and Presidents and Graves and Bidwill need to step in and do their JOBS. The head coach works for the GM and President.

Go Cards

7. By BMH on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

I’m not one to boo at a game..so I’ll say that changes need to be made “somewhere” to light a fire under these guys. Its getting tiring week after hearing the same excuses about the defense and offense..”they need to work harder” after game speech. I think they need to start looking at benching who’s not playing and start playing the guys who do. at 3-6 what do we have to lose. this isn’t going to be a 10-6 season. And seriously a huge mistake on not have more veteran QB’s when they cut Lienhart. I’m just tired of the excuses..nothing is changing and we saw what happened in Dallas when ol’ Wade got canned..I’m just saying that maybe someone on the staff needs to be let go. Billy D…your defense isn’t working out..

8. By Josh on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

I love whiz as a coach, but he is stubborn. We are one of the worst teams in the league with some of the best skill players out there and they are not being used to their potential. Time for him to set his ego aside, and do something about this staff. This is getting ridiculous.

9. By Tom-AZ on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

As we all know Adrian is the leader of the defense and the guy you watch- is it me or does Adrian look confused out there a few times and I don’t mean in his playing but looking over at the sideline and in their lineups. Someone would have the watch the tape to count them but I am pretty sure its those plays when we get gashed either in the secondary or in the run. Forget technique, if your players either don’t agree with your scheme or don’t really get what you are calling, they are going to be caught flat footed. Considering how well D.A played in the hurry up offense, might want to consider letting Adrian call the schemes directly again and stop with the complicated Madden 2010 plays.

10. By MikeG on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren–I don’t think the Card’s should make any staff changes in season. I’m sure coaches and players’ are evaluated after the season. You can’t panic –you have to fight with the soldiers you have. The last 3 games we are giving up an average of 470 yards per game. That number is crazy. We are also getting killed in the time of possesion. 45 passes-14 runs–a recipe for disaster. Also–10 penalties!– It will be tough to win the division now–given the way we have been playing & losing twice to the Hawks! But stranger things can happen–this is the NFL–We just need a win for our confidence at this point.

11. By John on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Hey coach, saying your staff works hard and feels as bad as everyone else, and is competitive and can do a great job is not being reflected on the field on Sunday in terms of results. Observations from all the fans who are watching the games intently say otherwise. Things are not working and bad decisions are being made. So stop with the ego and tunnel vision and start admitting changes need to be made or you are just losing credibility by the minute, not to mention fan support of the team.

12. By t on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

darren,

i think many would agree that the saints game was the cards best performance defensively. in that game they used alot more of rashad johnson and rhodes at the safety spots and wilson at the line of scrimmage more. past few games its seemed like linebackers and wilson are always having to cover recievers. not only are they getting burned, but wouldnt it make sense to have wilson at the line more yesterday with dockett inactive? just wondered what your opinion was. thanks for all you do

13. By Darren Urban on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

T —

RE: Saints game

To be honest, I’d have to see that tape again. I don’t remember. I can see your idea of Wilson being at the line more. But they didn’t use many guys at the line, period.

14. By johnnybluenose on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

yesterday’s game was a complete debacle and whiz certainly looked dazed and confused on the sidelines. every week we are being told that everything is fine, that there is improvement, things are coming together. it’s all BS folks. this team is bad and does not step up when it matters, for example, in the third quarter. DRC, adrian wilson, calais campbell….forget about it. and levi brown, picked 6th overall in the draft a few years ago. can you believe it? 6th overall and defenders just run around him any time they choose. i’m trying to think who we can beat the rest of the way and i can’t think of any team that is worse than we are. not one team. man, this sucks!

15. By LarryFITTZYFAN on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    I am a disabled combat veteran that knows what it is like to be on the receiving end of disaster. However, I believe in the “CARDINALS” through and through. I know it is tough to watch the team struggle, however we are in the fight too with the team. There is nothing more disheartening to see, such as an injured spirit. I know the players feel the pain, but we have to bring up their spirit. If you believe in the CARDS keep the faith and keep on trucking…

16. By Brett on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

With the way that the Cowboys responded to Garrett this week, do you think it is in our best interest to release Bill Davis? I mean we have enough talent that, arguably, our D could be in the top 5. If we have the talent but are not executing, then it has to be a staffing problem right? Bill Davis D gets burned all the time since he bacme the DC. We fired and replaced Clancy Pendergast because D lost the SB for us but Davis D has been getting worse almost by every game. Our D got lit up by the Saints last post-season but Whiz decided to go with Davis again?? I just don’t understand it. I think Pendergast was better. We def need an OC too so Whiz can just focus on being a HC. Also, we clearly need 5 out of the next 7 to be wins, so if we fall short soon, do you think we should start Hall to get exp under his belt for next year if he is in fact, going to be our QB of the future or do you think we are going to chase a QB in FA or draft? I mean we obviously cannot go with D.A. next year and other than Warner and Plummer, the Cards have NEVER had a franchise QB. We have too much talent that will not want to play here anymore unless we get someone that can throw the ball. Do you think Whiz, Mike, and Rod are kicking themselves for not going after McNabb in the offseason? I am beginning to get this familiar forgotten feeling again from the past…..It;s starting to become hard to be a Cards fan again and that is the worst feeling. Thanks for all your insight and blogs Darren.

Brett “The Hitman” Haley

17. By MattAZ on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

I’d call Whiz’s rhetoric after such a loss “symbolic” of the stuff well-fed male cows leave on the grazing field.

18. By RED BIRD 66 on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Whiz just better be happy he got an extension and that we have the cheapest owner in the NFL who won’t fire him with that much money on the table. He better start think of next year and give Skelton a try. McNabb is already negotiating with the Skins for a extension and probably doesn’t want to enter this mess anyways. The season is over as our defense has clearly checked out and out offensive never checked in. Back to blacked out home games.

19. By Bill L on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

WHIZ should read more Wooden……..Whiz; our guys are working very hard……Wooden; Don’t Confuse Activity with Accomplishment. Seems Whiz doesn’t have a viable measure of success. Keep working hard and Accomplishing NOTHING and Ol’ Whiz is a happy man………SUCH is/will be the fate of Cardinals fans as long as Whiz remains.

20. By Darren Urban on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Brett —

RE: Changes

Well, to start with, I’m not sure you can say the talent level shows this defense should be top 5. They have not been close to that level, whether it was under Davis or Clancy Pendergast. So that’s a jump there.

I don’t know if it’s in the Cards’ best interest to make a change at DC. I will say I agree that it doesn’t make much sense in-season. Let’s say you let Davis go. Who is taking over?

21. By LarryFITTZYFAN on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

This message is for all “bandwagoners” or “Part-time Cardinal fans”. Cheer for another team, or have you forgotten that you have that right because of men and women who have sacrificed. By the way, I loved the banner. “PLAY LIKE A VETERAN” SEMPER FIDELIS….GO CARDS!!!

22. By MattAZ on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

>>Let’s say you let Davis go. Who is taking over?

Short list:
    – Mike Singletary
    – Whiz
    – a relative of Russ Grimm
    – Nancy Pilosi
    – that cute hedgehog from the Bill Murray movie

23. By riwjr on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Darren, Any consideration from Whiz and the staff to give Skelton playing time?

24. By Brett on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

I WILL TAKE OVER…lol I can’t be any worse. As far as the top 5? Yeah I was definitely being rash. I do feel that we have a talented enough team that it is not being utilized to it’s strenghts. Correct me if I’m wrong but don’t we have one of the best Redzone D’s in the league right now? Either way I think the blackouts are going to start coming again. From the late 80’s to early 2000’s the only time you got to see a home game is when u went and got sunburnt at Frank Kush field otherwise you only got to watch away games on TV. You used to be able to go to a game virtually for free. I hated those days but those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it plus the fact that the Bidwills are the cheapest owners in NFL history we may never have a consistent team. Or at least not until Mike fully takes over.

25. By Edwin R. on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Ok, first of all lets forget about winning the division when we cant even win a home game against a team that gets blown out every time it loses. Lets try and win one game at a time and not a division at a time, it doesnt and wont work that way. We have no offense whatsoever and that is just keeping our defense oon the field, which in result is fatiguing or defense for the rest of the season. We need a qb that will yell at our offense like brady did yesterday when they couldnt convert, while DA is just wondering around in the sideline. I personaly believe that DA should not stick around for next year, not even as a back up. Lets give the rookies a chance to learn. I mean wouldnt we like to see one of our rookie QBs develop some kind of experience heading into next season? Rather than just leaving a veteran who has one good drive with the offense all game and doesnt seem to improve his accuracy let alone his play.
    If DA is left as the starter we will be setting ourselves up to fail and loose for at least the next season or two.(in case there isnt a lockout of course) Whiz should really let the rookies develop or release them by the offseason in order to take a top QB in the first round of the draft.

Darren, what do u see the Cards doin in the offseason when it comes to cuts and roster moves? and do u see them looking for a rookie QB in the draft?

26. By Darren Urban on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Edwin —

RE: Roster moves

Too early for me. We don’t even know when free agency will take place. If it is before or after the draft, it changes things.

27. By Kyle on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Wow, what other job allows you to rank at or near the bottom of almost every statistical category and still keep your job! Job prep up to this point,feeling bad after a bad loss, and trying hard really don’t matter at this point! This product reminds me of days sitting at Sun Devil Stadium and I for one thought we were beyond such pathetic scheming and effort! Ill be there and rooting at every game for sure, but your not making it easy! Still love my Cards, but wow! Make a coordinator change already, cant get much worse!

28. By cardfan643 on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

The cardinals were -4 yards in the 3rd quater with 4 pos, are you sure you dont need a oc Whiz. Tim Hightower who was benchend, came in because of a pre madona with a swollen knee. Was the only cardinal to have positive yards with a total of 6 yards.

29. By Dre on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

They also should look at the ASSISTANT COACH/ offensive line coach Russ Grimm. I know he and Whisenhunt have been together for awhile and are good friends but what has he done.

They completely striped down the line and pieced it back together but we are 9 game into the season and they look about the same as they did in preseason. Not much improvement there which is a big part in why the O can’t do squat. They aren’t producing in the run game and give up a crazy amount of sacks.

Bill Davis is a must go. That game yesterday was a huge lost and for the defense not to have a well planned game plan against their big WR is just beyond comprehension. They keep attacking Toler which they should of but for us not to counter with someone one top of Williams forcing them to go to the other side is just crazy. Their is no excuse for not being prepared for a team we just played 3 game ago.

30. By Sedona Chris on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

i gotta agree with Red Bird 66… if our offense isn’t clicking with either Hall or Anderson, why not give our third round pick a shot? At least we’ll be able to see what we drafted in Skelton

31. By Kurt on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

I wish Whiz would consider giving up the play calling, so he can concentrate on motivating the troops.

Who called the plays when the Cardinals went to the Super Bowl?

32. By NYCARDSFAN on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Brett Haley….
    I couldnt have said it better myself buddy. Only I would like to see what Skelton has to offer. Couldnt be much worse than what we have seen so far, right? Oh and as for McNabb….I will answer that question for Darren as he understandably can not. You know darn well that they are kicking themselves in the butt hard for not picking up McNabb. He would have fit in here quite well. A hell of a lot better than DA, obviously. You know there are a lot of sleepless nights for the wizard of phoenix as he has visions of a 10-6 season (possibly 1or 2 post season) with McNabb behind the line. We certainly wouldnt be 3-6 right now.

33. By Darren Urban on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Kurt —

RE: Super Bowl OC

Todd Haley was OC that year.

34. By Darren Urban on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

NYCards —

RE: McNabb results

Perhaps. But check out these stats, which suggest it might not have been a slam dunk.

35. By kauaicardsfan on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    At least you can kill Mcnabb’s chance in playing in AZ for the moment., signing a 5 yr deal with Washington
    But you probably know this by now

36. By Darren Urban on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Kauai —

RE: McNabb signing

Yep.

37. By Demond Howard on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

I been a big fan of the cards thick and thin… I still got your back guys, but lets start taking some heads off on Sundays!!!!

38. By tom manoogian on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

adrian wilson was a pro bowler because he can hit.probably as dedicated a football player as ever was,but he has to be the worst in coverage there ever was.i know whiz is trying to protect him,but if you know how defenses work in nfl,and who has what for assignments on certain coverages,you also would know just how bad in coverage he is.don’t mean to bash wilson,i think he gives 110 percent,but the dc needs to put him into better situations,know his strong points,more blitzes,hell if we can’t cover ,maybe pressure on qb might cause hurried throws which usually result in bad throws.

39. By Ben on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Whiz just doesn’t get it.

When you rank last or near last in every statistical category recorded on offense and defense then things need to be done. Instead we hear, guys are working hard, just a couple of mistakes, blah blah blah. Running inside instead of outside on one play doesn’t make your defense bottom five in EVERY CATEGORY…

On offense I will simply tell Whiz the same thing he told us regarding Leinart:

What do we want to see?

First downs would be a nice start….

40. By Eric on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

At least all the McNabb talk can stop now. Very questionable signing by Washing ton. 5 years?? I’m sure some of those years are voidable, but still…

41. By NYCARDSFAN on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Darren, Well I guess that argument is moot now that he signed for 5. Ugh. NEXT!

42. By Ryan on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

I read on the Yahoo! Cardinals page that we signed St. Pierre to the practice squad last week. I know that he was with us last year, but was let go during the offseason. I did not see it on the cards website. Is this ture? Do you see him sneaking his way into the 53 man roster and being the no. 2 QB in a few weeks?

43. By Paul on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Yes, the QB position is most important part of any football team. But with the exception of LaRod, I think the whole roster has had a sub par year including the coaching staff. Even Graham has had a poor punting year. Feely is incomplete.
    Lots of issues besides the QB.

44. By Zapp on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

It sounds like everyone wants change on this board, including me. I have two questions from a roster stand point what do we do next year to imrpove besides we need to have a good draft and develop are young guys. You know more about football and this team than anyone on this board. What positions to we need to upgrade to be better. Its easy for the fans to say Adrian Wilson is getting burned we watch from a fans perspective and not a coaching perspective, most fans do not know coverages or how they work or anything. Sorry fans but most fans are stupid and think football is still about lining up and hitting somebody as hard as possible. And what would make sense to you for any adjustments to the coaching staff. Do we just promote Russ Grimm to full time OC and not just running game cordinator. Do we let Bill Davis continue to get burned without a explanation or bring in a someone like Wade Phillips who was a great DC. I know you probably wont throw anybody under the bus and say Davis needs to be fired. But you know more than anybody so its worth a shot.

45. By Josh C on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Guys, my wife and I bleed red and white for the Arizona Cardinals. Actually some of the ONLY Cards fans that live in the state of GA. We were repping for you guys in our black jerseys in the GA Dome this season while you where getting slaughtered bu the Falcons. ….. I saw all this just to get to my point…. I love this team and believe in you guys! I seriously worry about our direction while the coaches seem to stand by and “wait” for things to miraculously change. You see no emotion from Whiz or any of the other coaches while things are going to hell….. as a matter of fact it has BEEN THIS way… Kurt Warner was the motivation and drive for this team.

What we need in Arizona is someone to step up and be the spiritual and motivational strenth for these guys! Kurt gave his heart to this team and made sure that EVERYONE knew that God was the reason for HIS success…. what are we doing now? I don’t see anyone stepping up like Kurt did. Fitz, your a great man I think you could be a HUGE influence on the team. Can you perhaps play QB too? lol

46. By Rob on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Darren Billy davis needs to go and we need a OC

47. By Ben on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Quick Question,

How are we supposed to take Whiz at face value when he says that he doesn’t agree with making changes mid season. When he had no problem letting go of our starting QB two weeks before the season started?

Why is it that coaches on this team are held to different standards than the players?

Bill Davis must swing some big swagger, because his skills definitely are not whats keeping him around.

48. By darrel on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

I’m done venting we all know this team is not very good its week 11 and have no indentiy. I’m dreamin of vick. And cameron newton. As qb next yr. We need mobilty back there As far as DA he sux career probly over after this seanson taking his. Talent to south beach.To go fishing

49. By Darren Urban on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Ryan —

RE: St. Pierre

He signed with the Panthers’ practice squad, not Arizona.

50. By Darren Urban on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Zapp —

RE: Changes

I will have plenty of time to ponder/write about potential changes. Let’s see if anyone gets hurt or has a big second half or whatever.

51. By ross on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Darren, Do you think Hightower and beanie are stuggling recently with yards per carry because of their ability, offensive line issues, defensive schemes or what?

52. By Jxster on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Darren, you know what I just realized? I have never at once seen the head coach, Whiz, yelled at the teammates to get their confidence up. Most of the coaches do that to discipline them, why not Whiz? C’mon! Whiz need to toughen up, no offense to Whiz but we do need it.

53. By mike hadzinski on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

D

This team sucks so bad RIGHT NOW i would hv 2 say that my hometown team & I DONT WANT 2 say this butt THE FREAKIN CLEVELAND BROWNS LOOK BETTER & ARE BETTER THAN US WOW would you agree yes or no

54. By Darren Urban on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Ross —

RE: Running game

I think it’s all of the above, plus an inconsistent passing game.

55. By Darren Urban on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Mike —

RE: Browns

They are playing pretty good football right now, yes.

56. By Donnie on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Man-0-man,i`m a kool-aide drinking fool,but….has whiz watched the tape yet and watched what we watched yesterday

57. By Scott H on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

As the saying goes, to continue to do the same things and expect a different result is the definition of insanity. While the fact that the Cardinals have decided to make no coaching changes may not be insane, it certainly seems to be stubborn and just plain stupid. This coaching staff is not – and has not been – getting it done. Period. That cannot even be in dispute at this point. There need to be changes at the coaching level right now and the fact that the head coach / organization refuses to make them says it all. And that really disappoints me because Whiz has always been willing to make changes when something just ain’t working. It’s an outrage that Clancy Pendergast was asked to leave after a damn Super Bowl season but Bill friggin’ Davis gets to keep his job after last year’s collapse in the playoffs which has continued right up to the moment.

Darren, you know I’m a big fan but I have to ask – in your latest story, you make yet another reference to how much football is left….”There are seven games left, after all” …and I just want to know how you can say that with a straight face at this point??? As they say on ESPN – C’MON, MAN!!!! This was a valid point 2, 3 weeks ago. After yesterday and our 3-6 record? No. Not anymore. Fact is, it doesn’t matter how many games are left. What matters is how this team is being coached and how they are playing. And that offers very little hope that this team can do something with the games they have left.

58. By georgiebird on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Whiz is arrogant.
    To say the defense did well in the “red zone” begs the question- “How did Seattle’s offense get into the red zone???”
    Game capsule- # of punts- Seattle-1.

59. By brad oneill on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

dick tomey? where is he now? I always thought he would be a great defensive coordinator in the pros. God what i wouldn’t give to have bill parcells decide what he really needs is just to be a defensive coordinator.

as for Offensive Coordinator, we need a guy who can work with dereks strengths. Joan of arc is dead, Jesus doesn’t do football, and Lee Iaccoca is past his prime.
    I dont think this is all on whiz, he took a gamble with the qb situation and lost and he was counting on a defense that looked like it would be rock solid pre season. I am not ready to get rid of the best coach we have ever had because the team falters during a rebuilding year.

Rod get that man an oc.

60. By shep on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

the coach can have that humble pie now. he was pretty cocky in the pre season playing the ol’ qb contest with matt and anderson. remember about the time they annouced the extension for Dockett as he tried to play games faking out the media with the Leinert decision. What goes around comes around COACH WHIZ. Leinert would have had this team in a better place than they are now. That is right 3-6

61. By AndyStandsUp on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Going into a game with your former coordinator is no time to be thinking about changing now. Think of the irony above all else that the Cards have to deal with in KC.

62. By cardsalltheway on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Did anyone catch this tid bit of Contradiction — “Coach Ken Whisenhunt said those inquiries were “fair,” but aren’t going to happen. Not now.
    How can those “inquiries” about the staff be fair yet at the same time have a “competitive staff that has shown they can do a GREAT job?”
    If they’ve been doing “GREAT” I’d hate to see not so “GREAT.”
    This is my favorite concerning staff changes in-season…”I don’t believe in that, especially not in-season.” I sure hope for the sake of the team that since the beliefs of Jerry Jones were able to change, then so can those of Ken W. or the higher ups.

63. By disappointed_card on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

Get Kevin Kolb

64. By Jeff Gollin on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

More and more it seems as if our problems are mostly mental.

– Our pass rush – supposed to go outside – goes inside and allows Hasselbeck to escape outside.

– A-Dub performs an “air tackle” and whiffs on Butler in the open field.

– Anderson misses open receivers or hits them “late.”

– Ten penalties.

– After Mike Williams burns us for 10 catches in Game 1, we fail to adjust and allow him to catch 11 more in Game 2.

We are not a mentally-alert, mentally-tough football team. We get outsmarted, and we make more mistakes than our opponents do.

Wiz is right – to make assistant coaching changes mid-season would merely add to the chaos. But whether it’s now, Jan 15 or March 31, something’s got to be done to change the overall mindset of this football team.

65. By JD on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

If you want to see something amazing, it maybe time for a change and start developing the future! Its siting on the sidelines. http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5124133

66. By Voice of Reason on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

The red zone defense has been better because it cuts down the field for the opposing offense. The big plays this season have gone to the TE or a WR with Wilson turned around in coverage. A-dub would say as much. Or we have the wrong personnel grouping in and they get a linebacker on a WR. Again, no chance.

The red zone plays to our strengths. Good size and agility up front, nobody turning around in pass coverage because somebody ran by them.

67. By Bo on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

Will you please answer me a few questions? Why wasnt our First round Draft pick, Number 1 Corner, and our top investment on their number one reciever?? And then then for toler to get bench apparently before the half? WHY!!!! It makes no sense to me and if you can explain that i would love it! Also am i the only one seeing that teams blitz the hell out of DA on third and longs? Get him some protection.. Tell the TE and RB to not move unless its to block someone else and not to hurry and go get the ball

68. By Eazy E on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

We still might get mcnabb those idiots put language in his contract that they can cut him after this year those stupid fools he has an awful supporting cast offensive line sucks receivers are below average and portis is injured and the former sun devil torain ain’t bad but he is kinda nicked up. McNabb to Arizona BABY!!!! Sorry Darren!

69. By Dre on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

I find it quite amusing that Whisenhunt called out his defense after the Vikings game and now the media is calling him out on his 31st rank offense and defense out of 32 NFL teams. I hope the media keeps mashing on the gas regarding Whisenhunt. I know the QB has been what everybody wants to talk about but the real story has been coaching all year. I don’t want to harp on the Leinart situation but when you make a bold statement or decision like that you better have an answer for it because if you don’t, well you only leave room for people to doubt you.

Coach Whisenhunt went into this season with the notion that his superior coaching would get us through. His mind set on passing regardless of which QB we had on the field has put us in a very bad situation. It will be difficult to stick with the run game now. We are so desperate for a win that panic will set in every time we get behind in points which is so easily done since we give up the most points in the league on defense.

You see, Whisenhunt had it backwards all year long. He could have neutralized the Leinart decision with going to a run dominant game plan. I can’t understand his vision if he has one. The only thing I can think of is the offensive line and their woes. It’s hard to conceive we have a terrible offensive line…I mean, their was so much expectation on them coming into the season and to still be in the basement with are run game is just plan sorry.

Ok does this make sense to anyone; if you have a below average QB why would you want to lead with your passing game. It just makes sense to which up your style and go with the running game even if it wasn’t effect has much as you would have liked initially. I think not leaning on the run game was his biggest error to date even if Leinart was on the team. The run game would of gotten better as the game went on and overall been better as the year went on and I serious doubt our defense would be where it is as well.

Grade for coaching is definitely an “F” (Whisenhunt, Russ Grimm, and Bill Davis)

70. By cardsalltheway on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

J. Skelton on the most important aspects of a QB…”accuracy, get the ball out, and make smart decisions.” I guess he simply doesn’t sound “Moxy” enough:(
    The problem is that he wasn’t a hometown fella from Mesa, AZ,, wasn’t an Eagle Scout like Ken W., doesn’t sit by the right people in the cafeteria during lunches or have Danny White as a relative. How or why he ever got demoted after his outstanding performance in the 1st preseason game I’ll never understand. There would’ve been no way hometown fella would’be been demoted if had ever performed like J. Skelton in a preseason game. Skellton has never messed up in a game and I’d bet no other coach in the NFL would’ve slapped him with a no-confidence stick like Ken W. did. KInd of like how no other coach signed an undrafted QB to jump ahead of a 5th round pick and to replace a future HOF’er.
    McNabb is no more “our guy” than Matt L., DA, or Max Hall.
    Ken W. said something like the following about B. Keith…”He’s still our guy for the future.” Nothing against B. Keith, but didn’t Ken W. say that about Matt Leinart?

71. By Smoothcard on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

Why not just flip the coordinating duties between whiz and Davis!

With all the yardage Billy’s defense giving up, I’d think he should have a great idea of how to offense works with all the lesson he gets every week. And whiz definitely knows how to stagnate an offense at the most crucial moments…

72. By Riseup on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

How disapointing to hear so many fans turn on the Cardinals and the staff and to actually boo at the team at home is embarrassing.

73. By Smoothcard on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

Riseup

I’d be the first to tell you I would never boo this team…

But after watching these last couple of games and how this team just jacks up the small things and how the coaching just seems have that “I don’t know what happened” look.

I know your not suppose to panic as a coach I can understand that, But its about results. We keep doing the same things and keep get the same results without making any adjustments. And the constant “guys are doing things right” type response doesn’t really help at 3-6…

What happened to lining up and bashing some guys in the mouth inside the 5? Converting on 3rd and short. Making the smart throws and getting into a rhythm. Turning the play inside on the edge and making the play as a team? We keep reverting to that wants to make individual plays and having everyone be spectacular instead of a team that works together and plays as a team.

Its also about confidence and this team needs to find it. There shouldn’t have been that big a drop off after Warner left.

2. Nov 15, 2010: Tweets that mention Word From the Birds Blog -- Topsy.com