Running backs still sitting

Posted by Darren Urban on November 17, 2010 – 2:21 pm

The Cardinals’ injury list was a little longer than normal, topped by the two banged-up running backs — LaRod Stephens-Howling (hamstring) and Jason Wright (concussion) — sitting out.

Stephens-Howling dealt with a hamstring issue last season. He said he hoped to play Sunday but certainly wasn’t sounding sure of it. Wright, meanwhile, said he didn’t pass his first neurological exam Tuesday but will take one again tomorrow. Wright said he has had some minor concussions before but “this is new.”

“I was out the moment he hit me,” Wright said. “I remember (the hit). It was the last thing I saw. Then 10 minutes later on the bench, I was asking Beanie (Wells) why he wasn’t dressed. He was like, ‘Uh, Tom (Reed, head athletic trainer)?’ “

– The “limited” included two newcomers. Cornerback Greg Toler now has a foot injury. Nose tackle Dan Williams has a calf issue. The other limited players all have been nursing their ailments: DT Darnell Dockett (shoulder), LB Clark Haggans (groin) and RB Beanie Wells (knee). Wells actually said he feels the best he has since before suffering his knee injury in the preseason.

– Mostly, the talk of the day was about Chiefs coach Todd Haley, who was the Cards’ offensive coordinator in 2007-08 and will be facing his former team for the first time. Not that he or coach Ken Whisenhunt — who coached together with Haley as lower-end assistants back with the Jets in 2000 to begin a friendship — are thinking about that too much. “There are a ton of people back there I care for,” Haley said. “But my focus is on the Chiefs.”

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

40 Responses to “Running backs still sitting”

1. By Eric on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

The Hyphen is our best offense. If he doesn’t play, you can forget about being competitive on offense. His field position is the only chance our offense has.

2. By 98CardsFan on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

Alot to be done this week que no? I just wanted to touch base on a few QB possibilities and get your take on it. Many media outlets have rumored this to be a make or break year for Carson Palmer and his huge contract, should he make it to the open market next year would the Cards be interested? Some lower pick/1st round Qbs I want to ask you about is Ryan Mallet and Christian Ponder, what do you think of those prospects and could they be had by the Cardinals. I know O-Line is a concern but we are talking about moving the offense. Thanks

3. By ross on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

Darren, is beanie still officially the starter?

4. By Rich on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

maybe a little more playing time for the rookie inside linebacker this week. gotta like Gerald, but he looked slow against the seahawks.

5. By Darren Urban on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

98Cards —

RE: QBs

Like I have said many times, let’s see who is available before we worry about it. Check that. You all can worry about it now, but I want to wait. If free agency doesn’t start until late July (or later) we have a long time to go.

6. By Darren Urban on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

Ross —

RE: RB starter

Love you, Ross, but you’re killing me. The depth chart hasn’t changed. If there is news on the subject, I will write about it. Promise.

7. By D on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

Is it strange Darren that all these injuries are popping up now that they are 3-6?
    Could be a long day in Arrowhead.

8. By Faithful Card on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

Darren: The whole off-season as well as pre season myself and I believe many other were under the impression we were going to be a running team? Although up until now it seems as if all we have tried to do in throw. With out having an NFL caliber quarter back why hasn’t this been a priority?

I think Whisenhunt is a great coach, not OC- He is terrible!

Please let me know your thoughts.

9. By Darren Urban on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

Faithful —

RE: Offense

I think the whole offseason, media types like myself — and I too thought it would happen — talked about this team shifting more to the run. To Whisenhunt’s credit, every time it came up, he insisted the offense wasn’t changing. It hasn’t.

10. By 98CardsFan on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

Good point, its been awhile since i’ve gotten on this site because, well, i have been all ranted out and things have gone as i feared. am being very optimistic about what may be out there, but i worry with this overhead and their committment to winning. Thanks Darren

11. By Walter L on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

I’m excited to see what Alfonso Smith can do (if he plays). He made some plays in the preseason.

12. By Ben on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

I#

By Darren Urban on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

Faithful –

RE: Offense

…It Should

13. By D on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

I think the best two OL for the Cards to date has been Sendlein and Deuce…both are going to be UFA. Do you see both being re-signed this spring?

14. By LadyCard04 on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

The way the team has been playing, I wouldn’t want to play either and if I even had a hangnail, I just might report for “sick call”.

All kidding aside, I’m still concerned about LSH…he is our whole offense this year. Without him we are in a world of hurt. He has been a favorite of mine since draft day and I hope he recovers quickly.

15. By Darren Urban on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

D —

RE: Lutui/Sendlein

I think that’s the expectation, but we will see.

16. By Dre on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

THIS IS NOT A TEST…THIS IS AN ACTUAL EMERGENCY

Adam and ever one else wonder whats wrong—

Re: Defense

I think you hit the nail on the head. This year we are giving up 29 point per game. Last year we only gave up 20 points per game, so what gives? I mean under CLANCY PENDEGASS in ’07 we gave up the 5th worst 27 points per game and went to the super bowl. Yes, our defense needs to be better but I don’t think that’s the main problem…let us really look at this.

So what gives really…let us look at this fact for a minute…Last year we were minus 15 seconds in TIME OF POSSESSION differential and in ’08 we were plus 18 seconds in TIME OF POSSESSION differential. This year we are minus 8 minutes and 31 seconds in TIME OF POSSESSION differential….YAHTZEE. As of right now we average 26.02 ToP and our opponent average 34.33 ToP…Houston, we have a problem.

Now let us try and figure out the problems with TIME OF POSSESSION. You can start with 3 new QBs from a year ago but shall we go deeper. Our #1 and #2 QB from last year each had a completion percentage of 66% and this year our #1 has a completion percentage 53.5% and our #2 has a completion percentage of 50.7%.

I almost was convinced that our offensive line was the #2 reason why we went from first to worst in the division. We are last in the league in the number of sacks given up, 33 to date opposed to being 6th best in the league last year, given up 26 for the whole year. So finally we are getting down to the problem right…WRONG, this fact only holds true in the passing game, which goes back to QB more so then line.

WOW this only gets better and better…I discovered something very interesting, I for sure thought our run game had took a hit just like the passing game but I was shocked to find out we are about the same. Despite all the factors i.e. injuries, different O line, rookie QB I am absolutely floored, as a matter of fact we are a whole tenth of a percentage better. We are averaging 4.2 yard per carry this year opposed to 4.1 yard per carry last year. We haven’t had a better yard per carry average since 2002 when we averaged 4.4 with Marcel Shipp, Thomas Jones and Jake “the snake” Plummer at QB. A really good running team averages about 4 to 4.5 yards per carry and we are right where we should be. THE PROBLEM IS WE ARE LAST IN THE LEAGUE IN NUMBER OF ATTEMPTS PERGAME…AVEAGING ONLY 19.6 ATTEMTS PER GAME AND WE HAVE BEEN LAST IN THE LEAGUE SINCE 2008.

Oh I almost forgot, 4.2 is ranked 13th best in NFL, 3 tenth from being in the TOP FIVE. How ironic, the Cleveland Browns average 4.2 yards per rush also but the have the 12th best rush total per game and with a rookie QB at that…in a division far better then ours.

So, the moral of the story is when you lose a QB, who is a great leader, decision maker and is a 66% passer and bring in the complete opposite, you have to change your GAME PLAN because if you don’t you will go from first to worst in the division in just half a football season. This year sack number probably falls more on the QB or was better due to the QB we had last year, I should say.

You know what the saddest thing is here…the coach has everyone thinking it their fault when the reality is he has not changed anything despite losing a Hall of Fame quarterback. Still a high number of passes compared to the least amount of runs.

TIME OF POSSESSION has to be the biggest red flag of the actual problem and it seems like no one is hearing the tornado sirens going off.

So I owe Grimm an apology but Bill Davis is not looking good for you.

17. By Brian on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

I know this article doesn’t concern this, but any chance the Cards might look to pick up the recently released Jarvis Moss? He clearly didn’t live up to his first-round status in Denver, but maybe since we lack to much depth at OLB, we might take a flyer on someone like that?

Thanks

18. By Darren Urban on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

Brian —

RE: Jarvis Moss

If they haven’t already, I don’t see them doing it in-season.

19. By FresnoBoy on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!

20. By Lone-Eagle on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

I just got done reading The Bleacherreport, and I must say that I am really quite confused! Can someone explain to me and to all Cards fans, why the organization traded up to draft a QB, that looked realy good ( granted against 2nd and 3rd string) but nonetheless still looked good in the pre-season, but apparently is not 2010 football ready, and everyone is already talking about drafting a QB in the first rd in 2011. That tells me that a major mistake was made, and the organization blindly drafted a QB they knew nothing about. I really wished I lived in Phx and had access to the practices, because I would really like to attend them just to see how ready he isn’t!! I really wish Kurt hadn’t retired, sorry off topic. Anyway that is my question.

21. By Darren Urban on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

Lone-Eagle —

RE: QB

Bleacher report?

22. By Gary on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

Lone-Eagle:

They are probably saying this (about Skelton) because they don’t want him to get killed, since our offensive line needs some major upgrades…

23. By Scott H on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

Sigh…anyone else miss the days of Todd Haley and Kurt Warner? I sure do. The offense fell off a little after Haley left and has totally flat-lined since Warner’s retirement. They are merely two of a long list of people who have left and have essentially not been replaced at all. With them, we were Super Bowl contenders. Without them, we are the old Cardinals once again. That is just SO DAMN SAD.

24. By Lone-Eagle on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

I got 2 words for you “C’mon Man”! Your telling me you have never heard of the Bleacher Report! I get it sent to me e-mail constantly, weekly as a matter of fact! Check it out some time, and you’ll see what I am talking about!! Bleacher report.com.

25. By JimJam on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

Probably not the best time for injuries to start flowing in.
    Good luck in arrowhead.

26. By Peter in Canada on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

Dre and other posters put out a lot of statistics and they are very interesting but my statistic is this. Those 4 straight losses would have been 4 straight wins if Warner had been the QB. Therefore we would be 7-2 instead of 3-6 and getting ready for the playoffs. The biggest statistic compared to previous years is who is (isn’t)behind centre.

27. By John on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

What a surprise, lots of injuries popping up. Anyone else seriously doubting the Cards will get even one more win this season?

28. By Darren Urban on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

Lone —

RE: Bleacher report

Trust me, I know what it is.

29. By TucsonTim on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

I’ve been meaning to ask this for a while, why did Whiz move Brown to the left side if he wasn’t going to keep Leinart? No way you put that guy on your QB’s blind side. I don’t see that decision being made lightly and I really don’t think Whiz and Grimm just decided one day to move Brown because 3 years ago he used to play on the left side. It would look like to me that they wanted to give a left handed QB a chance. So, ownership made the decision to cut Leinart???

30. By NJAzCardsFan on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

Honestly, with all of the injuries, the lack of offense and defense, I personally don’t see this team winning another game this seano……3-13
    I hope there is a major overhaul of this team in the off-season, some coaches included. The Whiz/Warner years had turned the Cards into winners. As fans, we now expect the Cards to be winners (especially in the NFC West) and nothing less. That it why all of these losses are even more painful to watch than before Whiz took over.

31. By Darren Urban on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

Tucson —

RE: Levi and the left

Check this out: http://blog.azcardinals.com/2010/05/01/levi-likes-the-left/

32. By Dre on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

Darren

one more and this is it…I promise LOL : )

I know you guys are getting tired of me saying this but to be honest I am getting tired of hearing all these ridiculous QB scenarios.

Ok maybe if I put this into words people can understand maybe just maybe y’all will understand it wouldn’t matter what QB we had we still would have been a born to lose team. Beside a Donovan, Vick or maybe a Campbell there was no QB available to handle Whisenhunt game plan.

So with that said ask yourself, if we were the Indianapolis colts and had to switch out Peyton Manning for DA or Max Hall would you ask them to do what MVP Peyton Manning does. No that is insane, right? Other then a few hundred yards a game there is no difference in a Kurt or a Peyton. I know it sounds crazy but that is exactly what coach Whisenhunt did.

In my previous post above I pointed out we have a 4.2 yard per carry average but only run the ball an average of 19.6 times a game, which is last in the league in attempts. If we upped our average to about 30-35 rush attempts per game at 4.2 we would definitely be within the top10 in rushing offenses in the league, if not top 5….hypothetical yes but highly possible.

It’s amazing that Whisenhunt didn’t adjust his game plan given his history with the Steelers in 2004 and their super bowl year 2005 but Bill Cowher was the head coach and he made the decisions. One of Whisenhunts claim to fame and I quote was…“In his first year as coordinator, the Steelers rushing attack improved from 31st to 2nd and the overall offense ranked 16th behind rookie QB Ben Roethlisberger.” Even if you look at the 2007 Cleveland Brown with DA at QB, their secret to success was the same. Look at the teams with rookie staring QBs over the last couple of years…the 2008 Ravens and Falcon, 2009 Jets all the same thing.

The difference between us and some of those teams I just mentioned is I believe we have a better WR core. Our WRs wouldn’t have put up great numbers but they still would have made a powerful impact.

Theirs is no telling what we could have done this year with the schedule we had. I know we don’t have the great defense as some of my examples but our schedule was skewed in our favor to make this transition less painful. OUR RUNNING GAME WAS THE BRIDGE WE NEED…instead we detoured through the “WHIZard of OZ.” Someone dropped the ball and our power tripping head coach is all along to blame. Love him or not he messed up.

33. By AndyStandsUp on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

Sooo, who lined up at right tackle in practice? Bridges, as expected or Brown or the new guy(yeah, right)?
    Wells set for another 15 yard game?

34. By SeeingRed on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

Going to bed now and dream of Andrew Luck falling to the Cards in the draft at number 4….ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

35. By SeeingRed on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

Just had a nightmare…it was the offseason…Seattle released Whitehurst and signed Leinart…

Kidding of course but wouldn’t it be ironic (and our luck) Seattle picks up ML and Hasselbeck goes down to injury again and ML finds his confidence with the help of his old coach and terrorizes the Cards with throws to the other written-off first rounder Trojan Mike Williams? I knew it was gonna be bad when they signed Williams this off season. Just had a feeling.

36. By drumm-1 on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

the cardinals has been here 22yrs and had only 3 winning season and 1 even..3 out of the 4 was with whiz as coach, it may be a down year just think about the other 18yrs and know and just think we are building for the future, and quit complaining,oh yeah if the defense would make a stop on 3rd down they wouldn’t be on the field so long. it’s not all DA, there are 10 more guys on offense that can help him out…

37. By Brad ONeill on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

lone eagle- its not the organization saying it wants to draft a quarterback its the fans. They may be perfectly happy with a max hall, john skelton future. not necessarily in that order.

Does anyone else see the resemblence between george bush and Max Hall?

Is there an obama in the draft? i hope not.

38. By Dre on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

I see 4 to 5 losses in Seattles remaining schedule (@NO,KC,@SF,ATL & maybe @TB) SEA and STL wk 17

I see 3 to 4 losses in Rams remaining schedule (ATL,@NO,KC & maybes @AZ,@DEN, SF) SEA and STL wk 17

I see 2 to 3 losses in SF remaining schedule (@GB,@SD & maybe @AZ)
    AZ and SF wk 17

I don’t know what the Cards are going do but if they can get to 8 & 8, they will win this division. I will wait until I see how they respond to this four game skid before I try and predict anything with them.

NFC
    standings

Seattle 5 & 4
    Rams…4 & 5
    49ers…3 & 6
    Cards…3 & 6

2. Nov 18, 2010: Wells feeling good | Fantasy Demon
  3. Nov 18, 2010: Demo NFL Football Blog » Blog Archive » Cards RB Wells returns to practice, not your lineup