Chiefs aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on November 21, 2010 – 10:10 pm

It felt a little like Chinese water torture Sunday. There were no dramatic shifts in the game, no real knockout punch. The Chiefs just kept drip-drip-dripping their way to a win, and it eventually felt there was no way the Cards could wiggle out from beneath the spigot.

Postgame was about as weary as I have seen coach Ken Whisenhunt. He’s still going to say the right things – that’s how he believes it should be done – but the losing obviously is eating at him. What now? Well, barring a shift in the division race, the Cards are in the week-to-week storyline mode. You don’t look big picture. You shrink it, meaning the much-anticipated-once-upon-a-time Monday night home game (with the black uniforms and I believe a better-than-average chance of an open roof) will have to be an event in itself.

You win – and once again, the Cards will be playing a team on the downslide, so at least it feels like even footing – and reevaluate later.

Since I’ll have basically an extra day to sift through this, I’m keeping this short tonight. (And I doubt I will be getting to the comments tonight, so bear with me. I will approve everything in the morning. I’m not censoring. I’m taking a bit of my life back. There’s not a lot new to say anyway).

– Whisenhunt said there wouldn’t be any personnel changes, but rookie tight end Jim Dray was in there extensively Sunday ahead of Ben Patrick. Dray struggled, but as we get deeper in the season, those are the kinds of developmental moves we may see going forward. (No, I don’t think John Skelton is playing next week).

– Derek Anderson has thrown high passes before but he seemed particularly skewing high Sunday. Maybe the wind was playing a major role, but it made for some harrowing catch attempts. And obviously one of them knocked Early Doucet out of the game.

– Wide receiver Steve Breaston was not a happy camper. “You’ve got to find what motivates you inside. You’ve got to push on. Don’t look for others to make plays. Do it yourself.” It’ll be interesting to see if his message gets across.

– Todd Haley wasn’t going to let Larry Fitzgerald beat him. On the Cards’ second field goal, on the third-down pass, the Chiefs not only double-teamed Fitz but did it with bump coverage with both. The pass ended up incomplete to Breaston.

“(The Chiefs) have done that a couple of times, they did it against (Chargers tight end) Antonio Gates, (Broncos receiver) Brandon Lloyd,” Fitzgerald said. “Anytime they are in the red zone they try to take away the guy who is the most targeted usually.”

– At some point, I would think Whisenhunt will consider heavily changing quarterbacks again, to give a rookie some experience. But it’s not going to be now, not when the NFC West is frightening still not out of reach and not against the 49ers on “Monday Night Football.”

– No, I don’t know if the Cardinals have interest in Vince Young if he becomes available.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

137 Responses to “Chiefs aftermath”

1. By Christian Guy on Nov 21, 2010 | Reply

It been a really tough year for our Cardinals. We have went through alot of changes that we need to get used to with time. With retirement of Hall of Fame’r Kurt Warner, QB has to be one of the most crucial spots to replace. I have faith in D.A. he has a great attitude and never gives up. He has come such a long way from his first game with us. I believe with time, he will make a great fit to out team.

The Cardinals are made up of some amazing players, I still have faith in our team. Remember, when Kurt first came to our team, he didnt look to hot either.

2. By mike b on Nov 21, 2010 | Reply

1.) Since Hyphen’s injury seems a day to day kind of thing any chance of him returning next week *literaly* and for that matter as hard as it is to tell, do you think that Toler and Haggans will be back?

2.) This is a Skelton question but I think I know the answer I see Skelton playing near the end of the season but it will not be because of poor performance by another QB… anyway if we were to lose a QB or two is Skelton pretty much the odd man out? I say Anderson is gone and maybe one more (draft a high round rookie then get a vet)

3.) and finally since this is a very very weak division do you think we can make it to the wildcard round or no?

3. By John on Nov 21, 2010 | Reply

Anyone else watch that post-game interview and expect Whisenhunt after he talked about how things just weren’t working to say “..and I take some of that responsibility myself”? Its like his whole attitude all year is oh well i did my part but the guys just didn’t execute. I think the biggest thing in coaching is adapting to the dynamics you have to work with and finding ways to make it work. Its his way and if it doesn’t work its not his problem. Ive been complaining about his play calling since game 1, but id really like someone to ask him if he has a set series of plays which he follows on his card, and uses the same play (which it seems he is doing) for a 3rd and 1 situation as he would if it were 3rd and 21. I would think most coaches would have a number of plays for each particular situation, but he is just baffling.

4. By Alfred Hita on Nov 21, 2010 | Reply

CAN SOMEONE SEND THE CARDINALS THE FORMULA TO WIN A GAME? O WAIT! MADDEN HAS IT!!!!!!! I’m tired of this streak!!!!!

5. By brad oneill on Nov 21, 2010 | Reply

Vince young is not the answer he is another ryan leaf it is just taking him a little longer to implode. if andrew luck is half the player Sam bradford has been for the rams he would be the answer. of course i kind of think john skelton or even max hall may be the answer. I really thought we would see max this game with as bad as derek was playing. Just because he doesnt turn it over doesn’t mean he isn’t hurting the team.

Dear Santa,
    This year i was kind of bad, i tried to be good but my team has driven me to drink way more than i should and i have been swearing a lot, breaking things, and i even through the remote control nearly damaging the wonderful hd tv you brought me last year. I know all i deserve is coal. but if you wouldn’t mind giving the Cardinals an Offensive Coordinator (bill Parcells) I would be a lot better next year.

Parcells has said he doesnt want to retire but he doesnt want to be a head coach he hates being a gm, so he might just be the perfect offensive coordinator and assistant coach.

6. By James on Nov 21, 2010 | Reply

darren

Hey darren i was wonderigng are tickets still available for 49ers game and do u think skelton will get playing time for the rams game if things dont improve?

-james

7. By Big Red on Nov 21, 2010 | Reply

And yes, it’s time for John Skelton, C’mon man!!!!!

8. By Khardz on Nov 21, 2010 | Reply

49ers and Cards … Two HUGE disappointments. If we win on Monday It’s going to come down to how we win that determines our faith this season.

9. By cardsalltheway on Nov 21, 2010 | Reply

I somewhat remember D. Anderson during his Oregon days as he was somewhat successful there. However, I didn’t follow him during his days with the Browns. What others have said about him(concensus) is about as spot on as anybody could hope to say when describing him.
    Below are the top 5 Bonehead moves IN ORDER.
    #1 Bonehead move…Saying Matt Leinart was “Our Guy” then getting rid(demoting Matt L. after the 2nd preseason game and/or after about 12-15 preseason plays and later cutting him before the first game of the season) of a QB — Matt L. that new the system and learned under a future HOF QB — no apparent reason — it should have been obvious to all or most but it wasn’t — no fair chance.
    #2 Bondhead move…Keeping two rookie QB’s on the roster.
    #3 Bonehead move…Demoting your 5th round QB draft pick after a spectacular performance/comeback win during the 1st preseason game — no apparent reason — it should have been obvious to all or most but it wasn’t.
    #4 Bonehead move…Promoting an undrafted and undersized QB ahead of the 5th round draft pick — no apparent reason — other than he was from Mesa, AZ and was an Eagle Scout like Ken W., sat near the right people during lunch in the cafe etc…
    #5 Bonehead move…Thinking D. Anderson was “Our Guy.”
    #6 And beyond Bonehead moves…Help me please, I lost track after the first five??????

10. By Gary on Nov 21, 2010 | Reply

Well, this team officially sucks! I hit the hammer right on the nail when I called my predictions for this game, and the entire season, for the Cards in a previous post. I think I also hit the nail on the head about the coaching issues in a previous post. I also wouldn’t be surprised if Fitzgerald’s time with this team is numbered. This guy needs someone who can consistently get the ball to him, ACCURATELY! Since this organization is filled with morons, I’m pretty sure they will continue to fail in attaining a quality QB who can actually complete passes on a regular basis. He will not want to stay here if he cannot utilize his natural talent. It’s like I’ve said before, until the team is bought out by a person who wants to win, we are back to the “same ol’ Cardinals”. Even though a Cardinal fan by heart for the past 23 years, at least I can say a team I’ve been very fond of for just as long, the Falcons, have put together a great season. On a sad note, but ironically funny, the 49ers have surpassed this team in the standings. That’s comical, considering they were 0-5 and this team was 3-2 a few short weeks ago…

11. By Steve on Nov 21, 2010 | Reply

Darren: It was reported that when Whisenhunt signed his extension he demanded final say over the roster as part of the deal, so my question is, lets say hypothetically this offseason, coach Whiz decides he wants to try and acquire Kevin Kolb from the Eagles in a trade, does Graves then go out and try to make it happen? or can Graves kill a deal if he feels the compensation is too high? Between Whiz and Graves, who really does have final say, other than the Bidwills?

12. By Pheenic Cromartie on Nov 21, 2010 | Reply

Well, that was embarrassing. I’m sort of just waiting for the Off-season. We should draft a big-name QB in the 1st Round, and then pick up a FA QB, like Kevin Kolb, or Kyle Orton, or Marc Bulger.

Darren, how come Coach Whiz never pulled DA? Wasn’t he playing terrible enough to get pulled? Even if the rookie’s came in and threw pick-6’s, the game was still out of reach, so what was the point in keeping DA in? Is it more of a pride thing now? It’s getting really annoying to watch.

13. By cardsalltheway on Nov 21, 2010 | Reply

5 losses in a row. It seemed okay for everyone to talk S!@#$ about the 49ers head coach Mike Singletary after San Francisco lost 5 games in a row so I do hope EVERYONE(including Ron Wolfley etc…and even Darren?) who did so then, also start doing the same about Ken W. Fair is fair correct?

14. By mikeo on Nov 21, 2010 | Reply

Derek Anderson should change his number from 3 to 3 & OUT

15. By steve on Nov 21, 2010 | Reply

WITH THE 9TH PICK IN THE 2011 NFL DRAFT………..THE ARIZONA CARDINALS SELECT……………………..QUARTERBACK RYAN MALLET UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS.

16. By Rich on Nov 21, 2010 | Reply

I feel for ya, man. Your job gets tougher the worse the team plays.

17. By JR on Nov 21, 2010 | Reply

Sometimes you are the statue and sometimes you are the pigeon. This year we are the statue. The last game we won was when Max Hall was quarterback and we beat the Saints. Max Hall needs to start again and play the rest of the season so he can get some experience, learn and we can find out if he can be an NFL quarterback, and this change needs to happen now, even with Monday night football the next game. Max also needs to play so all of our receivers don’t end up on the injured list. Other changes also need to be made, as you noted. It’s not all the coaches fault. We have all pros playing on both sides of the ball and at some point they need to man up and lead.

18. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Cards need to go back to their old unis which I like better anyway (but keep the new bird on the helmet)! Plus, the old iuniforms are much more appropriate for their level of play this season (I.e. zero confidence).

Oh well, another step closer to a top- five pick in the 2011 draft. Hope Cam Newton is there, but I think he bring a lot of the maturity issues to the game like Vince young and Michael Vick. Vick had the game taken away from him, and he’s finally come to realize what a privilege it is to play in the NFL. But let’s see if Hall can improve any more down the stretch. Still wouldn’t mind seeing Kolb or McNabb in 2011 though.

19. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

GO PACK GO!!!

20. By DirtybirD on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, do you think we could send the Cardinals to “Sam Meranto” so they can get their mind right! Maybe he can help out with all the mental mistakes! To all the “real” Cardinals fans, keep your heads up! GO CARDINALS! BEAT THE 49ERS!

21. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Today my dad asked me what the score to the game was, I told him it was over, and that the Cardinals had lost 33-13, you know what he said to me Darren? “Huh, classic Cardinals football”. I am so sick of watching this team lose that I honestly dont even want to watch them play anymore, 20 years and I get 3 seasons out of them, my dad has been watching them play like this since he they came to Arizona. Why would Arizona not be interested in picking up Vince Young if they had the chance? they going to let another vet slip by to another team? Especially when we need a QB more than any team right now.

22. By Patrick on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren I, know that Mike Miller said that John Skelton wasn’t ready, but do you think we might see him on the field anytime soon. Fans are getting discouraged with Derek Anderson and many have stopped believing in him altogether. Judging form what most of us saw today we doubt he’ll be anything but a future back up. So do you think that we might get to see him sometime this year.

23. By Edwin R on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

i must say i am very disappointed by the way the cards season is unfolding, and also by the way whiz has handled the quarterback position but i still beleive in whiz!
    that said, i really question DA’s excuse of the wind factor to cover up his missed throws! judging by thr body language of the players specially fitz, im guessing that they are begining to understand that theyre chances are slipping away for a 3rd nfc west title!
    i forsee big changes in the offseason but i hope the cards front office keep fitz and breaston!by now i really wish to se some experience for our rookie qbs!

Darren, i asked u a few weeks ago that how many games did u see cards winning to run away with the division title and u said 5 for an 8-8 record!
    now i ask u again, how many games do u see the cards winning the rest of the season? oh and another small question, how is the team mood different now, from when they lost the first of 5 games in a row?

24. By Sebastian on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

If I was Whisenhunt I would go for Vince Young if he get’s free…

25. By Dan on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

DA sucks. Throws high all the time, not accurate most of the time and his deep ball is way off. The dude sux, bring in Vince Young or play Max Hall or Skelton. Whiz needs to pull his head out of his hole and swallow his pride, he missed big time on DA. The guy has a great arm but HE SUCKS.

26. By Benny on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Yes, it was a slow, dripping loss, but I did feel the penalties played a greater than average role in it. This and some missed individual efforts,

27. By Ken Cadena on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

That was a disgusting game I saw myself get so angry at Anderson for putting his recievers in bad spots. He Sucks, all he does is throw the ball in the area and hope one of the recievers catches it. once in awhile he gets lucky. He has total disregard for the mens safety. He is not even worthy of a back-up. This season is a wash. the management needs to open its wallet and spend money on players that arent washed up, and can actually play. I feel sorry for the Cardinals. Im sure Darren you will scrub this E-mail, and not post it because of its content, but the truth hurts. Bench that SOB Anderson before he gets one of the men paralyzed, and whiz you have 2 great running backs run the damm ball. at least play smash mouth football, and walk out with pride, and thats the truth.

28. By Rugbymuffin on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

LOL.

Derek Anderson can’t complete a 5 yard out to one o the best receivers in football.

If they don’t start Skelton at this point, then the might as well forfeit the game.

BTW, I thought Joey Porter was tough, and had intangibiles. That OLAY! tackle on Chalres 39 yard run, was something to behold.

29. By Rugbymuffin on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

The wind ?

You have to be kidding me. Is there anything Derek Anderson can do right ? The wind ? Come up with a better excuse. Something like “What can I tell you ? I suck.”

Anderson couldn’t complete a pass in a dome with no wind what so ever.

Hopefully he retires after this game.

I got a head line for this game.

SAME OL CARDINALS.

The last two years are were a fluke, just like everyone has said.

SAME OL CARINDALS.

Maybe the Bidwills will blame the wind when the attendance starts looking like Sun Devil Stadium again.

Nice to here they didn’t sign Bulger this year to save money, when they will lose that ten fold after this season, the lockout, and the fans dissapear like a Anderson pass in the wind.

The wind……what a joke. Cassell didn’t seem to have a problem ripping through our swiss chesse defense in the same wind.

30. By ross on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

It was nice to have both of our running backs out there looking sharp.

That concludes the positives.

31. By Rugbymuffin on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

SAME OL CARDINALS

clap-clap-claplclapclap

SAME OL CARDINALS

clap-clap-clapclapclap

32. By Rory Clark on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

In the core of their being, the Cardinals organization does not want to win. We see the physical manifestation of it every week. It is explained away by “a missed tackle here, and errant pass there,” but it is much more than that, and at the core of their being, everyone knows it. But for some reason, no one wants to address it.

The Cardinals are a high school football team with a nice stadium. They let the soul of the team retire…Kurt Warner. They trasded the heart of the team, Anquan Boldin. They got rid of the cancer, Matt Linert (clap clap). No offensive coordinator. No defensive coordinator. Few “league feared” impact players that must be schemed for…

The Cardinals have a bunch of players who are “projects.” One day they MIGHT be good.

The Cardinals are one chip shot field goal away from being 2-8. Thanks Mr. Janokowski.

There is nothing quite as depressing in this world as being a Cardinal fan. Sixteen years of it is all I could take. And I can say with certainty, it has not been worth it to give my heart and soul and time to a team and an organization with no heart.

The Cardinals should all watch the Wizard of Oz if they want to know what is missing from their organization. The answers will be given by the Scarecrow, the Tin Man, and the Lion…

33. By Catfish on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

After mostly calmly watching the game Sunday, I have gone back and looked at film from earlier games and found what I think is a problem. Anderson gets scared, he falls down before getting hit, he panics and just throws, he has no concept on timing, he has tunnel vision. His timing of downfield passes are perhaps not that far off in practice wearing a red jersey, but in game situationshe panics. I would rather lose every game with Hall than watch DA tell us we have to get better, he means HE. The defence, Todd Haley took Fitz out of the play with double bump coverage, why can’t DRC play close? Why do our linebackers cover WR’s, and I guess I have forgotten what a safety is or does. I do know LB’s cover short outs and over the middle more of a zone than man. Last night 82 was wide open , all night, as a player there are no excuses, coaches teach , players execute. If the team practices half heartedly, they will play on Sundays the same way.

34. By Nick Pepe on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Ugh. It makes a work Monday hard to swallow. Cassel had all day back there. Derek couldn’t hit a bull in the fanny with a bag of rice. Missed tackles, missed assignments, giving up big plays. I guess one positive is that we ran the ball pretty successfully. Which makes me wonder why in the world on 3rd and 1…..why would we call a pass play. I guess I shouldn’t second guess play calling. But this hurts. And I know I am not the only one out there agonizing over our performance. At least we get to vent here. Have a safe week everyone and Happy Thanksgiving!
    Nick Pepe

35. By kekojones on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Vince Jones will definitely should be considered, doubt Kevin Kolbe will be available next year. Max Hall does not make it in the NFL, he got his shot already. Cards should tryout Skelton for maybe the rest of the season!!

36. By Larry on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren

I hope the coach watches the tapes today and sees what we all saw Sunday. Mostly missed oppertunities because of poorly thrown high passes from the guy who lines up behind center. If I was a receiver for the Cardinals I’d hesitate catchhing a pass also. I will get hurt.

37. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Mike B —

RE: Questions

1) Have no idea
    2) I would guess if they bring in a veteran, Anderson would be the one who would move on, assuming they still feel strongly about Hall. Skelton won’t go anywhere, I wouldn’t think.
    3) The wild card team is most certainly not coming from the NFC West.

38. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

James —

RE: Questions

1) Yes
    2) I don’t know about the Rams game and Skelton.

39. By Old Man Riva on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Don’t ask me why I bother to follow this team or why I enjoy commenting on the inevitable. I suppose you could call me a true glutton for punishment. Who else would bother to follow a team for so many years that just keeps on losing? Kind of like a reverse Energizer Bunny thing. Anyway…I really hope the Cards lose all the rest of their games so they will (once again) get a high draft choice. If they don’t continue to lose, they might sign a really great free agent and maybe, just maybe rekindle the winning ways I thought the players were getting used to the last couple of seasons. Not likely, considering we are talking about the Cardinals, not a team that has ownership that really cares about winning. But anything is possible. Look at the turnaround the Rams are showing this year just by adding a top notch QB. He doesn’t have any quality receivers to throw to but he shows that confidence that players rally around. Also sparks their defense which has added some guys who look like they are on the verge of stardom. But as fate would have it, I am a Big Red fan for life and will most likely continue to be disappointed on Monday morning until I take my last breath.

40. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Final say

Graves still has a strong say, although in most cases I believe he defers to Whisenhunt.

41. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Pheenic —

RE: Anderson

I don’t know why he didn’t make a change, although Anderson wasn’t turning the ball over yesterday.

42. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Patrick —

RE: Skelton

Perhaps.

43. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Edwin —

RE: Mood

Clearly the locker room mood is not as good as it was. That’s impossible after five straight losses.

As for predicting wins, I have no idea anymore. In 2006, the Cards lost eight straight and I couldn’t see them winning again. Then they won four of their final seven.

44. By Maunka on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

All I have to say is the coach continues to live up to his new name, Ken Whiz-n-Punt!

Two years of NFC (West) competitiveness to the bottom of the barrell and swimming with the other fish a like.

I am a season ticket holder from Nebraska. It is very obvious that several bad decisions are bearing fruit this year. Someone needs to step up and start taking responsibility for those bad decisions.

45. By joe67 on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

JR, Hall is not the answer. I think we have seen enough of him to know that. Maybe down the road, and I hope so for his sake, but I am not so sure.
    There is obviously a reason DA keeps throwing high. I can’t believe with all the video in this day and age, someone (our qb coach) can’t figure it out. On some of the high passes I think that was the only chance he had, but its the little “simple” passes that bother me. I see other teams constantly dumping short stuff over the middle and in the flat, and we don’t seem to even be able to do that!
    Lets just find a way to win Monday nite!!

46. By Maunka on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Something else I want to mention. In business management & leadership there is a concept called “The Escalation of Commitment.” What this means is that those leading are so committed to their own idea or paradigm that it clouds their judgement and they are willing to go down with a sinking ship, no matter what! There ego or ideas are the only thing that counts. In fact, it counts so much that they do not even acknowledge their decisions have sunk the ship nor even see the ship sinking!

Come on man! Wake Up! I am a Red Bird that flys high and dang it, I want a Super Bowl victory! The ship is sinking!

47. By shannonrobinson on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

It’s third and one and we’re behind 14-3 and we’re running the ball well – two running plays got us the nine yards to be close to a first down – everyone in Cardinals land except one knew we should run the ball. That one man stubbornly called the pass play for a QB who was throwing erradically and completing less than 50% of his passes. I groaned in agony when Anderson dropped back – actually it was when we came out in the shotgun – that’s when Brad O’Neill threw the remote. Whiz, that’s when you let us fans down and chose to play finesse football instead of letting your tough guys up front and Beannie or Tim win or lose the game. You’ve shown us what you’re made of on that play and you’re not a hard nosed guy at all. I don’t get it and obviously you don’t see what you’re doing as an OC – what did your run coordinator say to you on that play? “Better pass, I don’t think Fanecca, Sendlein and Lutui are strong or tough enough to get one yard under pressure.” When KC lines up eight guys in the box does that mean Whiz goes to the Madden football video game, abandons the run and switches plays to a pass? Our QB can’t hit the broad side of a barn or are we blaming Breaston for not bringing down that ball sailing over his shoulder – I know it was the wind. It was a defining moment we had control over and I felt totally deflated by the call – I wonder why Russ Grimm didn’t demand a run for his guys to win the game. Unfortunately most of the yards Anderson got in the last two games were after it was over and it’s easier to pass for those eight yard completions when the opposition is playing ‘contain’. I think Coach Whiz needs to do better or get out of the way.

48. By MikeG on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren– Clearly the Cards are struggling right now and their confidence is very fragile. Everyone in the West lost yesterday and with the Cards having 3 straight at home games– they have to throw the kitchen sink the next 3 games. Clearly leadership is a problem and it seems some players are just going through the motions(no confidence). Darren–clearly Wilson and Dockett have not played up to their norm this year. Why do you think that is ?? Do you think once players get the big $$$$$ they lose a certain amount of desire???? The last 2 years the Cards leaders were playing for contracts–Boldin,Dansby,Rolle etc– and they were playing very focused and emotionall. Do you think that might be factor in the Card’s season so far??? Certainly it is human nature not to be as hungry when you get the big payday! Your Thoughts??

49. By D on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Too many questions wth no answers for this team right now. Let’s see how the next game goes before M. Hall gets more playing time along with some backups for next year. I agree with Jimmy Johnson, it’s not coaching but personnel. Maybe some changes on the defense side as far as coaching, but Coach Whiz justs needs more time to adjust without Kurt (and find a QB to keep #11 here for 5-6 more years)

50. By Kevin on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

I’ve been much less critical of Whiz and the play-calling situation than almost anyone else here, but holy crap, 3rd and 1 with around a minute to go in the opponent’s territory, we’ve been running the ball well, and we try to throw a pass. And not even a simple screen or quick route or something w/ a high % completion rate, but a pass up the field?

And then we punt. Honestly, you’re down 14-3, your defense is not good, you’re on the road against a team that rarely loses there, the opponent is going to get the ball to start the next half, you’ve lost 4 games in a row, and you’re in the opponent’s territory with one of your more successful drives (I realize that’s a relative term) with about a minute to go in the half. Other than the mandatory go-for-it-on-4th-down situations at the end of a game when you’re trailing, I can’t think of a situation that begs for a 4th down try more than that one did. It’s like we think we’re the Colts and just had a rough start but can expect to come back from down 11 points. This team needs to take advantage of anything close to a scoring opportunity because there are so few of them. Of course, if we had just run the ball on 3rd down, odds are we wouldn’t even have been facing a 4th.

51. By chad d. on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

new offensive coordinator, new defensive coordinator, and a new qb and we’re set. i’m not going to rant or rave, it’s brutal watching games like that.

52. By Rugbymuffin on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

My favorite part of the afternoon is our face of the franchise calling this organization, and that includes us fans…….garbage.

Great. Thanks. Ftiz.

53. By Chris B on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

It’s 3-1 and the Cards weren’t out of the game just yet. They had up to that point run the ball very well. And they put it in DA’s hands. Of course Fitz was open and DA threw it to the right guy. But unfortunately, the only receiver DA CAN’T throw to is the open one.

The two questions are, one Darren pointed to, is when do we truly see what Hall can do? If he has ability, he has to play at some point. Do I think he gives us the best chance to win? No. But DA isn’t winning anything either. So do we lose and train a QB or do we lose, hoping for a small chance that DA get’s it together?

The Cards desperately need a pass rusher. They need to get one this draft. The secondary, any secondary, won’t hold if a QB has all day.

54. By WNY card fan on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Like someone else said, not sure why I feel the need to add my 2 cents, but perhaps it helps give me closure on my team’s rotten performance(s). Plus, reading some of these posts I just laugh with the analogies (bag or rice etc). None of us are experts (at least I’m not), just from what I read, hear, and watch, so that is why it gets more aggravating to see some of these failures/lack of responsibility on the field.
    Watching the Eagles game last night (no- this is not a Kolb referrence) at one point the Eagles were 3 n 1 and they went into shotgun formation, threw a pass play with Vick, it was incomplete. (sound familiar). Cris C commenting on the play basically said, why would they go into shotgun formation and throw a pass when it was 3n1 and their ground game was doing pretty good. I agreed and instantly thought of the Cardinals in how many games now??? doing the same thing. Good for the Eagles they went for it on 4n1 and got a touchdown.
    I mean is that not basic football? Sure, once in a while you throw a def off, but we don’t why?? Its frustrating
    I’ve always like Ken W (and other coaches) who approach the game/play with even keeled emotion, I think that gives them certain pluses above the firey ones and the absolute wet blankets that are out there. But even the even keeled ones got to do something to spark and to be honest with the aspects that aren’t working esp when they are out there for us novices to see as clear as day. He can’t give away secrets to the press and we all know you wouldn’t want him up there like some yelling and pointing fingers, that does no good. But something other than “have to watch the film” and “we did some good, we did some bad”. Something to keep our confidence that, ok our team sucks, but at least the boss see’s it and is diligently working on it and its not just smoke and mirrors (that’s what if feels like, whether it is or not).

55. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Whiz-n-Punt? I sorta like that, although I’m not ready to quit on Whiz. Too many things out of his control on the field. However, I will agree with John above in that you rarely hear Whiz talking any responsibility or the coaching staff needed to work harder (and not just the players).

Listening to Whiz, it sounds like he has “x” amount of big opportunity plays per game, and is obviously weary of his team missing on those limited chances. If the personnel he has now can’t convert enough of those big plays, then the odds say the coaching staff needs to call more plays with big play potential. There’s just no room for error the way the coaches are calling the game. Again though, it’s the players who have to execute. There’s plenty of blame to go around here, all the way from top management to the coaches to the players. Next year should be very telling regarding Whiz in how he attempts to tackle this team’s shortcomings.

Whiz has always said that he has a plan for success and it’s just a matter of getting the players to buy in. What he was selling the last two years worked with the elite player leadership he had those years. Unfortunately, they are gone (we couldn’t keep them all), and the “plan” that worked for the Warner/Boldin/Dansby teams of the past is obviously going to need adjusting if Whiz keeps the same players from 2010, keeps same training camp approach, and keeps the same player’s coach approach (almost to a fault).

56. By emm7777 on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

I don’t normally comment, but I do feel strongly that at some point they are going to have to see what they have in Skelton. They have to see if there is potential there before entering the offseason. Otherwise, I think Orton is name that needs to be mentioned more. It sounds like Denver wants Tebow so that could be something we pursue.

57. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Do you know if Whiz has ever lost this many consecutive games as OC with the Steelers? I don’t think he has. Just trying to figure out if he’s in uncharted waters now, or if the Steelers teams he coached ever had the same problems the Cards have now.

According to Whiz’s bio here at azcardinals.com,

“Before coming to AZ, Whisenhunt spent the previous six seasons with the Steelers. For the first three he was tight ends coach and then was offensive coordinator for three, helping the team earn a victory in Super Bowl XL.”

58. By Magee on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Too many points have been allowed all season and there has not been an adjustment made to correct this.The players on the defensive side of the ball are not that bad and giving up 30 points a game is unbelievable. The running back situation is ridiculous and I think we all know a big time quarterback needs to be drafted or traded for. I am certainly not suggesting Bret Favre who has been hit in the head too many times. There’s nothing wrong with the head coach, he is as good as they come. I thought before the season started that there might be a Kurt Warner meltdown in Arizona.

59. By emm7777 on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Oh, and on that 3rd down pass play where Fitz was double covered/bumped. The play before was single coverage, 2nd down and 6 I believe. That was PRIME for a pass TD to Larry! D.A. just doesn’t seem to see these things(or coach Whiz, for that matter). As you all know, very frustrating.

60. By Bryan on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

DA is the worst QB in the NFL.

LOL@him blaming the wind…come on bruh,you throw those high passes that put our WRs in harm EVERY friggen week.

I now know why the Brown’s fans cheered when this guy got hurt….

61. By wheele27 on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Don’t worry guys. We have a ton of talent and a spectacular front office that stops at nothing to keep the talent level high enough to win consistently. We also have some great coaches. They keep the team disciplined and focused on fundementals which is why we’re still in good shape out west. It’s still ealy on in the season. Our O-line and Defensive tackling and coverage have plenty of time to improve before the season is over. Dockett has time to rack up some meaningless sacks and ask for yet another new contract!

Remember Coach Whizenhunt got us to our first ever Superbowl. He did it all on his own. To me that gives him a free pass for life to do whatever he wants on the sidelines and botch every quarteback transition that comes his way. In Whiz we trust!!!

62. By seriana on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

For the past couple games we have had a hard time with offense and defense. To start with offense, everyone needs to believe in the quarter back. After everyone starts believing in the quarter back, the players will push themselves to be better and help make plays. Yesterday, it was difficult for us to make plays and to push the ball to make touchdowns. We have truley amazing players on our team and we need to get our team back together and win the last couple of games.
    Cardinals forever.

63. By FightON! on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

For the first time ever, I turned off the TV and left the house in the middle of that debacle. What to do? Look for another retread QB that will stay for two years? I hope to God the Cardinals do not draft another young QB in the first round and ruin his career, they have not shown that they know one single thing about developing a young QB. You ride and die with a young QB, you don’t bench him then play him and bench him again when he plays poorly. The Jets have done an excellent job with Mark Sanchez, and they will be rewarded for 10 years and maybe beyond. Great coach who knows how to develop a young QB, too bad he’s not in AZ. Watch and learn something Whizzy.

64. By disappointed_card on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren:

I was at the KC gaem and watched the whole thing with my son. Very disappointing indeed and yes, you are right. It never felt like you could not come back but things were getting farther and farther. Very bad penalties on 4th and 2. I wish Andersen playes well. he is a good man but not happening. I am glad Doucet was not killed. Cards have no choice but to get a QB. The team has almost all pieces as far as receivers and running backs are concerned. Defense is pretty bad. Go and get Kevin Kolb. Question for Darren: Vince Young would do well in an atmosphere where the coach is tough but kind father figure like Dungy. Do you think Whiz is that type? If he is, Vince would work. Vince is a good QB but is very immature. he is like a 17 yr old. Gets upset at boos etc.

A speculation: Do you think Lienart would have done better/ Defintely, Whiz screwed up here, didn’t he? Any chance he might be fired. You HAVE to get QB else Fitz may be gone.

65. By itsjustmeagain on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

we are back, same old cardinals

its funny i had a hard time getting excited when we had a big lead the past couple of years, i had always been use to the cards gigving it up at the end. should of enjoyed it then.

but the old birds are back, early games make for a long miserable sunday afternoon.

face it, we suck thanks cards

66. By Peter in Canada on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren – The argument about Skelton I keep hearing from you is that he isn’t ready. I do not disagree but since there is no NFL Europe he has to play up here to get ready. They must make a decision between Skelton and Hall as to who is the better long term prospect. That garbage time drive yesterday should have been given to a rookie instead of using it to buff up Anderson’s statistics. Who do they consider to be the better long term prospect at his time?
    I don’t agree with all those gloom and doomers who say stupid things like the team sucks and we stink etc. They have some good talent, some exciting young prospects, and with a good draft and a decent QB we can come good again. By the way I wonder about those 46% on the poll who think that QB is not the biggest need for improvement. They must be members of the flat earth society.

67. By mike b on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

@ Rugby
    The wind was a factor (Look at the second kickoff, the wind knocked over the ball) Plus since Cassel PLAYS for the Cheifs he would be used to the wind being a factor just like the Packers play relatievely well in the cold unlike most teams.

68. By NJCardsFan on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Once again……

UGLY, PATHETIC, DISGUSTING…..

Swirling Winds???? WTF??? The excuse for Anderson’s poor performance….. Sure didn’t seem to affect Matt Cassel’s passing.

While I have the utmost respect for coach Whiz-

Hey Whiz… if you think Anderson is doing a good job…
    “Take out your glass eye and clean it.”
    Face the facts that- ANDERSON SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

His passes, if the receiver can catch them without out getting seriously hurt…. 95% of the time, the passes don’t give the receivers a chance to run after the catch. BENCH HIM NOW!!! Time too break in the rookies.
    This is becoming to predictable and too ugly to continue watching this massive train wreck.

Let’s go Jets….

69. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

MikeG —

RE: Contracts

That is always a fear, but I don’t think that’s the case.

70. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Ottis —

RE: Whiz/streaks

The longest losing streak Whiz endured in Pittsburgh was in 2003, when the Steelers lost five straight after starting 2-1. Ironically, they snapped their losing streak with a 28-15 home win over the Cardinals. The Steelers finished 6-10 that season.

71. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Disappointed —

RE: Vince Young

I think at this point, it’s hard to see VY as anything but a talented head case. I don’t think he’ll fit most places. Whiz is the type who wants players who aren’t going to need that father-figure type, so no I don’t see it as a fit.

72. By Rick on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Haley had the Chiefs in pads Weds, Thur & Fri after two consecutive losses. Will Whis try the same approach to try to get some (any?) energy back? Injuries shouldn’t matter, most starters are doing little anyway.

73. By brad oneill on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

cardinals positives
    Kerry Rhodes has exceeded expectations

Darrel Washington, Dan williams, Obrien schofield, stephen Williams, John skelton, and max hall are all hard working guys with a boatload of talent.

the run game has 5 yard per carry potential

Darnell Dockett showed great maturity and leadership in the preseason and training camp. (this will only pay off if his example is met by some success)

special teams has gone from a liability to a strength

cardinals negatives
    play calling works against our strengths.
    adrian wilson in coverage
    relying on derek andersons arm in 3rd and short situations
    derek cant throw the long ball anywhere close to accurately

no fire on the team. Porter has it and he was silenced by the less vocal leaders after he had a slow start. These guys all say they are professionals and don’t need the raw raw raw. Well maybe not but they need something and stewing quietly isnt cutting it.

Suggestions

Full pad practice with out the red jersey to let derek work out his fears in practice. if he gets hurt it wont hurt the team at this point and if he gets better it may just save his career. because right now his resume is not going to get him hired by anyone after this season.

if i was derek i would demand a full contact practice, to both show the team I was man enough to lead them and to give myself an opportunity to overcome my game time issue of tossing the ball over everyone’s head the minute the pressure comes.

74. By The birdman on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren, what’s your feelings on derek Anderson and his performances?

75. By Steve in NC on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Have you heard anything about a players only meeting to try and figure out amongst themselves what the problems are and how to fix them, and do you think something like that would benefit them at this point in time?

76. By WNY card fan on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Monday night is going to stink for 3 reasons
    1) cardinals are going to get their rear’s handed to them by 49ers on national tv and I hate those guys
    2) Due to the horrific nature of the game, it will be as if there is no Monday night football that week (I’m not going to torture myself and watch it)
    3) I think I get an opportunity to watch a full cardinal game maybe 1 per year (living in NY, do not have the nfl ticket), and the only chance this year will be one I just can’t stomach.

If anyone wants to see just how bad its getting, just look at the highlight clips from the game on NFL.COM, out of several only ONE is about the Cardianls and its Fitz meaningless TD (expect for fantasy people). They are becoming the old team of not even being mentioned, taken for granted that they lose and stink.

77. By Peter in Canada on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Two years ago people saw Mike Vick as a talented head case but the Eagles gambled. Vick saw the light and Young doesn’t have near as much baggage as Vick had. If the price is right sometimes you have to take a chance. Warner was seen as a washed up QB with an interfering wife. We gambled and won

78. By Doug on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Do you think the front office will somehow be able to keep Fitz in the desert despite the QB situation? I’m getting very nervous about that potential let down. He’s in his prime and is stuck in a really bad situation right now. And I’d be shocked if they can clean up this QB mess in two seasons (potentially only one) seeing how difficult it is to find that franchise guy for any team, really. And as much as it would pain me to see him go, I don’t know if I could blame him at this point.

79. By Kevin on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Count me among the minority, apparently, who do not want to “see what we have in Skelton” this year. We’re still in the middle of the guy’s first season, and he’s been considered a multi-year project from the get-go. I have no idea if he’s going to be any good, but the guy is from Fordham for Pete’s sake. He’s never seen anything close to an NFL defense. If you look at someone like Cassel, they never played him (well, OK, he got in some games either because Brady was hurt or in garbage time, but he threw less than 40 passes over 3 years), and he was coming from USC. Or the classic case of Steve Young as Montana’s backup. I’m not saying Skelton is Steve Young, but we’ve already seen how bad an unready QB is (Hall — yes, he’s worse than DA) and if the staff thinks Skelton is less far along than Hall, then he’d presumably flounder completely on a team that hasn’t been able to protect the QB.

Yes, the Cardinals suck, but at least while they are mathematically in a division race, I don’t want to see either Hall or Skelton, and personally, I don’t want to see Skelton at all.

80. By Dre on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren–

I have to give you thumbs up on the “Questions, Answers Stay The Same”
    article.

[First though, the Cardinals have to do something different than what they have been doing. And give themselves a chance to answer some different questions.]

I think it may be a matter of lost confidence in the coaching…maybe not all confidence but surely enough to start second guessing little things. Something happened in the Minnesota game…and we are seeing it in our defensive play. They were clearly not focused in our home game against Seattle. There were a lot of thing still not addressed in the KC game on defense that has been there all year long. Two games in a row the defense let us down without having an excuse from the offense…yeah, there were a few things but not enough to give up some of the plays they did.

Starting the season off with a new QB in DA and the questions on him coming in, especially after the Leinart deal was just too much for this team to manage. The length of time it took our offense to get on track derailed the defense. The lack of patience by the coach not allowing the team to build off something positive was crucial in the beginning. Now, we sit waiting for the defense to start making plays again.

Another head coach got fired today…I wonder what smart remarks he has to say now.

81. By D ryans on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

This is a question for coach Ken W. Do you want an electric atmosphere at Uof P monday night for the national audience? Start SKELTON or Hall and the crowd will be into the game, start DA and all you will hear are BOOO’s taking the crowd and the Cardinals out of the game. We are all fed up with Errant Anderson. I believe the O-line is starting to come together and give the QB and the run game more opportunities. When Hall played last he had no time and was getting punished every play. Please Ken give Hall another shot at it, if nothing else it would make it a more entertaining game. No one wants to see Anderson holding his head all night…….again!

82. By Isaak on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

would you mind telling me what draft picks the cards have currently for the draft next year. We made some big trades in the off season and i’ve lost track. Thanks

83. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Rick —

RE: Pads

I wouldn’t expect them to be in pads that much, although they already are in pads some of the time and have been.

84. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Birdman —

RE: DA

My feelings? Not sure they mean much.

I see the same things most people see. Inconsistent throws. A guy who, believe it or not, seems to be making some better decisions than he was. In KC, if he had been on target more often, he had the opportunity for a huge day. But again, he hasn’t been consistent enough to take advantage of that.

85. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Steve in NC —

RE: Meeting

I have not.

86. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Doug —

RE: Fitz

I know they are going to do what they can to get Fitz to stay. But in the circumstances, he will hold the ultimate final say.

87. By David C. on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

I had asked a few weeks ago whether Coach Whisenhunt would be on the hot seat next year if the Cardinals continued to regress. You mocked my question (all in fun), and shrugged off my prediction of a 6-10 season. We’re now on pace to finish worse than I first guessed, and Whisenhunt’s shortcomings as a head coach and his personnel mistakes become more and more glaring each week. I’m just interested to see if you’re opinion has changed on this subject. I don’t see any scenario, barring Kurt Warner walking through that door or lucking out by landing a top QB in the off season, where Whisenhunt enters and exits next season as the head coach of this football team.

88. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

David C —

RE: Whiz future

I see two giant reasons why he isn’t going anywhere, this year or next:

1) He got this team to a Super Bowl two seasons ago.
    2) He signed a giant contract extension through the 2013 season.

89. By KOLB on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

At this point i’d trade fitz to get a Q.B that can do more than have a rocket arm with zero touch. You know kurt could still put on his pads and drop those 2 passes into breaston’s hands four 14 points. Seriously – its bad and the only thing the team needs in a Q.B. Theres other flaws the team has but the one that really needs fixed is ” overunderthrower ” I could see if the balls were all randomly weighted different… ? Cant we just get KOLB or MANNING??? Doesnt Bidwill have an extra 100 million lay’n around – geeze

90. By georgiebird on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

The Bidwill’s will have to make a decision on Whiz regardless of the extension. When U of P is half full, it might be a better business decision to bring in a quality head coach rather than keep Whiz.
    Probably one of the more probing questions “with the offense so bad and the defense so bad- how can you learn anything from training camp or practice”.
    Finally, with all this DA overthrow stuff “I’d like to see DA overthrow Roy “Jet Stream” Green- the greatest Cardinal WR of them all.

91. By Bow on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Reasons we lost AGAIN;
    Too many mistakes-maybe
    Too many penalties-maybe
    Injuries- maybe
    DA had a bad game-Not this week
    Defense gives up way too many points cause the DC stinks-not to be considered

92. By david on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

I dont know much about how free agents work… but Michael Vick is a free agent isnt he? isnt there a way we could obtain him? It just seems that the QB’s we currently have dont have a very good leadership role and make many many many dumb mistakes… Vick would cover all of that… if theres any chance to get Vick i’d say spend a lot to get him because that will probably bring the Cardinals back to a chance at super bowl.

93. By cards62 on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

I love to hear from the few kool-aid drinkers that are left that think this team still has a chance to go to the playoffs. Our record is 3 – 7 and should be 1 – 9.

We will win 1 maybe 2 more games this year.

We must add 2 new QBs to our team in 2011.
    Arizona and Carolina have the worse QBs in the league and will have two of the worse records this season.
    You will get your wish Skelton will play this year and he should play this year, We need to see how he responds. I hope he does well but like I said 5-6 his senior year of college against competition that we have never heard of, so I am not expecting much from him in 2010.
    I am not saying we should go after Vince Young if he becomes available but we must look at Vince Young and QBs always become avaialable in the offseason.
    Windy in KC so funny Derek Anderson good think you never played in Bufalo or Cleveland or you might have gotten use to the wind, oh that’s right you did play in Cleveland. Good thing our WRs have workers comp insurance.

I hate the Cowboys but I give them credit for making a move.
    I heard the VIkings fired Childress today. I do not know if this is true.
    I do not think we should fire Whiz this year, but in a previous post I outlined moves we should make and of course we did not and Whiz will not. We, The Cardinals fired Don C. after an 8 – 8 season and the rest is San Diego history so I think we need to give Ken W. a chance in 2011 to correct his errors in 2010 and we should evaluate Ken after the 2011 season. Cleveland fired Bill B. of NE and Cincinnati promoted Forrest Gregg over BIll Walsh. Don’t you think they would like to have a do over.

I would not mind the losing if I was seeing that we are becoming a better football team, but I honestly do not and have not all year and I know we are going to play the same way for the rest of the season.

My main point is we must not give up on the Cardinals and we must weather this season and look forward to a much brighter season in 2011.
    Now unlike Ken W. I do not suppose we sit on our hands and do nothing when we were lucky to be 3 -2 and of course are now 3 -7.. Now I hear all the time about what true fans must do and how they must act so I will not go that route, but I strongly recommend that all of us write a letter to the Bidwills from our hearts about how unhappy we are with the jobs that Rod Graves and Ken Whisenhunt did with our team in 2010. Please do not use profanity and take your time so that it is a logical message that the Bidwills will take seriously.
    Fellow fans I truly believe the Bidwills now want to win as much as we do so please send them a letter and post a comment on this site when you have sent your letter. One or five well worded messages will only be a ripple, but if hundreds or even a thousand of us do this it will be a big red tide that will not be ignored. LIke all of you or most of you I too am pissed off at how this season has gone, and I feel it did not have to happen.Thank you and go Cardinal Fans stay red your whole life,
    .Steve

94. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: Whiz

Maybe you are right. But regardless of how this has gone this year, it is ridiculous there are those out there calling for Whisenhunt to be fired. Ridiculous. It’s not good right now. Absolutely not. But to pull the plug on a coach after a bad half season when he led the team the previous three years to .500 and better records is a joke.

And please, don’t anyone tell me I am disrespecting the fans, etc. Everyone has their opinions, and I have mine.

95. By NYCARDSFAN on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Funny how other teams with dismal performances, make changes like firing Brad Childress or Wade Phillips. Yet…the cardinals… do nothing. No changes with play calling, no changes with staff. Nothing. Just the same ol same ol. And the same old stale and overused lines from whiz at the press interview. Pretty frustrating to be doing so bad at this point in the season, and nothing is being done about it. The problems we have arent just the players not making their plays. It goes right up to the top. I am not calling for whiz’s job, just calling for some action. What the hell is going on here!? What are we doing and what are we gonna do?! I dont care what it is but just DO SOMETHING! Dont just sit back and continue on this same pathetic path of self destruction! DO SOMETHING!!! I watched the Pats/Colts game last night and you know what…there is life in those players. Just like we used to have! WELL WE WANT IT BACK!!!!!!!! SICK AND TIRED OF BEING THE SAME OLD CARDINALS ALREADY!!!!!! @#%$$#$@!!!!!

96. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

David —

RE: Vick

As of now, Vick is scheduled to be a free agent.

97. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Isaak —

RE: Picks

If I can track down the info, I will post it here. UPDATE: The Cards have an extra 6th-rd pick (Reggie Wells to Eagles) and no 7th rounder (for Kerry Rhodes).

98. By NYCARDSFAN on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Oh and Darren, Lets not kid ourselves here. I like whiz as much as anyone, but it wasnt him that got us to the super bowl. It was a little whiz and a lotta Warner. That…is painfully obvious now.

99. By cardsalltheway on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

This year, I think Ken W. looked at the QB position as a toy, something he can play with. I hope he has learned something. I don’t know who it was that said C. Miller doesn’t think John Skelton is “ready.” JHFC, what a CONFIDENCE BUSTER. I’d like to know why Miller thinks Colt McCoy, Jimmy Clausen, and Max Hall are able to play as rookies but not John Skelton. What a freakin joke. The Cardinal cast of fools are a bunch of John Skelton ball busters. Max Hall has definitely looked worse than Colt McCoy and Jimmy Clausen. Does Miller really think John Skelton would look worse than Max Hall? The only reason that might be is the fact he’d be doing it under the tutelage of C. Miller, Ken W. and the rest of the cast.

100. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

NYCARDS —

RE: Whiz/Warner

OK. But if we’re not kidding ourselves, then let’s remember Warner was a fumble-prone and benched QB before Whiz arrived.

I’m not denying Warner was a crucial piece, because he was. But let’s not pick-and-choose history.

101. By Ross on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

At what point do you think they are playing for next year? Will it be when they are officially eliminated from contention, or when its clear they are all but eliminated? Just a guess on your part i know.

102. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Ross —

RE: Next year

Officially eliminated would be my guess. And even then, I don’t expect this full-on “start all the rookies” thing. Their last two games are against Dallas and the 49ers. They are going to want to win those.

103. By D ryans on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren, as crazy as this sounds i believe Dennis Green had as much to do with our Super Bowl appearance as Whiz. Whiz inherited the team that Green built, which for the most part was our Super Bowl team. Since then we have lost most of them and replaced them with ex-Steelers and Browns. Granted some of the departures were not under his control , but some were. I believe Whiz coaches with his heart not his head.

104. By David C. on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Do you really believe the Bidwells will stand pat at the head coaching position, especially once the blackouts return? The days of Sun Devil Stadium are long gone, and there’s too much money tied to stadium revenue to allow the Cardinals to return to their past habits. I understand Whisenhunt signed a new contract, but so did Childress, and he made it half a season. Once the fan base begins to depart, I think that will force the Bidwells hand. As a season ticket holder, I will be paying close attention to off season moves, as that will dictate whether I renew. I’m sure I’m not the only one, either. The public opinion may not sway the Bidwells, but the weight of their wallets will.

105. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

David C —

RE: Whiz

I don’t disagree that fans will make their feelings known. And maybe you are right. But two things: You have to sell a lot of tickets to offset a $5M salary or whatever it is (plus whatever the new coach would make). And second — and much more importantly — I think it’s crazy to be talking about dumping the head coach. As I mentioned before, the team has had a bad half of a season after three good years. I’d say I was shocked so many have turned on him this fast, but honestly, I guess I’m not. Not in this climate anymore.

106. By Gary on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

DA has to go! Why not release him now! Start Skelton for the rest of the year that way we at least have a decent backup next year to go along with our number one draft pick starter.

107. By David C. on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

To be fair, I think Coach Whisenhunt’s personnel decisions and stubbornness has accelerated the fan base’s ill will towards him. In my opinion, Whiz is a one trick pony whose weaknesses were hidden by Kurt Warner’s superb play. And I didn’t always feel that way. You and I have also debated whether our Super Bowl appearance should be attributed more to Dennis Green (and that only amplifies now that we’ve seen Whiz with his “guys”). It truly sickens me to be a Whiz basher, but the way he’s handled this season, the way he handled the QB position, and his idiotic refusal to change the offense and defense to better suit the talent we have can’t go without recourse. This team can’t survive a return to mediocrity, especially after finally breaking through.

108. By ross on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

I still like whiz…he was a large part of the success of the team the past few seasons. Winning cures everything.

How many people on this comment board calling for his head have ever had a bad day at work? Five in a row? Did you get fired?

109. By BEANIEBASH26 on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Do you think we could pick up Brad Childress as an OC? The vikings just fired him. Maybe that could take some of the stress off of Ken.

110. By Fitz4Mtrushmore on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren thanks for the kind words yesterday in the endzone at Arrowhead despite the difficult season we as fans & all of the Cards organization is experiencing. You’re a class act & the Cards are a better organization with you working for them. Thanks, my man!!!

111. By cardsalltheway on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

“I’d say I was shocked so many have turned on him this fast, but honestly, I guess I’m not.”
    It’s good you’re not shocked b/c Ken W. has brought it all upon himself(that’s how I definitely see it). I think that’s what many are really unhappy about or the reason for the “turn.” I’ve never seen an NFL head coach make a collection of such boneheaded moves in such a short period of time.
    I sure hope the Cardinals win this week against the 49ers, but if they don’t that will be 6 losses in a row and more than the 49ers/Mike Singletary has lost this season. Have I mentioned before that it would be funny to see David Letterman mock Ken W.(his handling of QB’s really would be classic SNL material) instead of or maybe along with Mike Singletary. If I was balding, I’d even…

112. By Mike T on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

I would be very interested to see the stats on fans in here that only bitch when were doing bad, but turn around when were doing well. This stuff happen and with so many changes we all knew it would be tough. Does it really make everyone feel better to be so negative every week? Besides with the exception of a few teams this is a very strange year for football throughout. Who thought Dallas would be where they are at. Or on the other hand Tampa, Oakland, KC. Jacksonville is #1 in their division! So yea, it happens. Be a fan or dont, simple as that.

113. By Scott H on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Hey, I was wrong about this team not making any significant changes – how did I miss that Jim Dray got more playing time than Ben Patrick??? How dynamic! I really do owe the Cardinals and the coaches an apology for all of my insensitive and harsh criticism…NOT! Note to coach Whiz – it doesn’t make a damn bit of difference who your TE is when your TE’s are a total non-factor to begin with. Try actually utilizing the TE as a part of the offense once in a while. THAT would be a significant change.

Beyond that? I got nothing else to say. It just really feels lousy to be a loser again. And make no mistake – that’s what this team is.

Darren – once again, I have to nominate you for the “C’MON, MAN” award this week. Did you actually try to suggest that Anderson’s lack of accuracy was due to the wind??? Have those same swirling winds been blowing inside the domes they’ve played in this year? Man, I hate it when that happens…Ok, sorry for the excessive sarcasm, but…seriously. Derek Anderson’s lack of accuracy is basically his calling card at this point. He is not a good QB and that is the bottom line. We hitched our wagon to a QB who is not very good and what has happened to the Cardinals is the same thing that happens to any team that hitches its wagon to a QB who is not very good. Winds have NOTHING to do with it.

114. By georgiebird on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

As you know, I feel that the two very good years were almost all Warner (and the gloves) and just a little Whiz- this is the main reason for the negative reaction to Whiz.
    I’m sure if a question to this effect were posed to the fans, the mostly Warner feelings would be shared by many.
    Having followed the Cardinals for a half century, 2008 and 2009 were great. If I felt that Whiz was a big contributor to that effort, I would not turn negative against him until the mid-point of next season at the earliest.

115. By cardsalltheway on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

“He still feels his Cardinals are better than a 3-7 team.” has Ken W. forgotten about that Oakland Raider game? For a bit of reality(lucky thy record isn’t 2-7) maybe he should watch the replay/ending. And, that Denver game in a few weeks game is looking tougher by the minute.

116. By cardsalltheway on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

BEANIEBASH26,
    Actually, I think Ken W. and Brad Childress just might get along. Perfect match? Sure couldn’t hurt at this point.

117. By TucsonTim on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

NYCARDSFAN –

and a whole lot of Jake Delhomme and McNabb so we could play for the conf. title at home.

118. By Eazy E on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

People look we are basically DA or bust at qb for the rest of the year. That is just it I don’t like it either but it is what it is. Max got his chances and didn’t play well enough and skelton is way too raw to put him on an nfl field and expect good results. The winds did affect some of DA’s passes but he just didn’t hit enough targets. The running game got going hightower and beanie ran over the chiefs but the game got a little too out of hand to not pass. Fitz had 6 catches 90 yards and a td on the last play but he missed Fitz as usual a couple times. Steve had 5 catches 92 yards and made some plays and DA missed him too a couple maybe because of wind and some are just inaccurate passes. We really need to target a pass catching te this offseason because we have nothing right now that is threatening enough for the defense down the seams. Offensive line opened up holes in the running game but could have done better at DA not taking so many hits. Defense again didn’t play well, the run defense wasn’t good at all and their a great rushing team and they didn’t make plays when we needed too in the passing game against bowe especially. Pressure was scarce and that may have to do with only 24 pass attempts but still no pressure with all that talent on our front 7. I still believe in Whiz and the cards we gotta get it going maybe being on national TV is what we need or not?

119. By Rory Clark on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Ken Whisenhunt is teflon. No blame sticks to him. We’re still in awe that he got us to a SuperBowl. But was it him or was it Warner? It was Warner. I still don’t forgive Whisenhunt for not running Edgerin James for three straight plays at the goal line in the Superbowl at the end of the first half. I don’t think he wanted Edge to succeeed. So he called one of his “genius” plays and the next thing you know a fat guy nobody could tackle was scoring on the other end of the field.

Fans may not be professional players, but we are professional watchers and we are expert witnesses. We know what we are seeing. We know stupid play when we see it. The Cardinals play stupid ALL THE TIME. Little they do makes sense.

120. By Doug on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Let’s be real, people. Are we really in THAT better of a place with Matty running the offense? We’re 3-7. And unless those MMA lessons turned him into a stud LB, Leinart is not going to make a big enough difference to save this season. Looking back on it all, would he had been our best option? Possibly. But SEA moved the ball with ease. We were destroyed by ATL. We scored against KC with 3 seconds left to ALMOST make it look like a game. Where do the wins come from with Leinart behind center? Tampa maybe? Even with Warner this year, we’re still no better than the best in the West. Boldin is gone. He wanted #1 money. How many people can we give #1 money to? Dansby left. It seemed pretty clear to me that he had no intention of returning. Rolle leaves and becomes the highest paid FS in football. What are we supposed to do? Re-sign everyone to whatever they demand? That would be a great plan if it weren’t for this little thing called a SALARY CAP. Yeah, yeah…there’s no cap this year. So we should spend like crazy like we’re the Cowboys of the 90’s and just pretend there won’t be a cap back in place next year? Defense just hasn’t been there and Kurt left. That’s how I sum things up. Kurt demanded a 3 year deal with 2 years guaranteed. He even made the trip to SF to drive his point home. So he gets his deal…and calls it quits after 1 season. As much as I appreciate what Kurt did for this organization, I feel he has a lot to do with this season’s disappointment. Maybe it’s just taboo to point the finger at him. I’m not ungrateful. I’m just calling it how I see it. He did great, great things for this organization. But he left a huge hole to fill this season. And it wasn’t expected.

121. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Comon man

And once again, I’ll nominate someone for not reading what I wrote.

122. By Mike W. on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

I agree about Whiz; he has been the head coach for the last 3 years that have been the most successful three in the AZ history and in the last 30+ for for the Cardinals organization. Just like he would have been blamed if they had been horrible those three years, he gets a substantial amount of credit for them.

I don’t believe in even discussing his dismissal at this point–Childress turned a 13-3 team into a 2-7 team without personnel changes. We’ve had substantial personnel changes (most obvious being the HoF QB retiring, to belabor the obvious), so Whiz and Childress’ scenarios are not even remotely similar.

Having said all that, the most glaring inadequacy we have is the QB, what do you see the Cards doing, trying to draft a “ready for the NFL rookie” early in the 1st round next year, pursuing a quality FA, or trading for someone of Kolb’s ilk?

MIke

123. By noel on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

If I remember correctly, Peyton Manning is a free agent……Throw him a little equity Mr. B.. It is just business afterall. Best chance to get a ring before the tombstone comes calling.

124. By SeeingRed on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

A few things…

Watch how quickly any respect the Cards garnered over the last 2 seasons evaporates…IF they get rolled next Monday. For the fans sake I hope they make it a game..getting rolled at home on MNF would be ROCK BOTTOM and heads would roll.

btw..I like the idea of changing DA’s number to 3&Out…friggin funny.

Coach Whiz- please don’t put Skelton in anytime soon. We don’t need to ruin his confidence in this early in career. The Oline is terrible..Besides, the first interception he throws the fickle fans will be calling for him to be cut.

Is this the same team that beat the Saints, Raiders and almost beat Minnesota? Talk about bad timing…when we were good ?(better at least) early in the season we had no QB..now there’s a mediocre QB and we have no team. Ridiculous.

125. By Yoshi on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

I honestly believe the fans calling for Whisenhunt’s job have to be the dumbest fans in the entire NFL.

126. By Rory Clark on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Hey Doug…are you kidding me? We can’t pay everyone number one money? When do the Cardinals ever pay anyone? Once every time Haley’s comet appears? Boldin is the fiercest wide receiver to ever play the posiiton. We can’t pay him $25MIL (which is not $40MIL like Larry got)? Rolle scores every time he touches the ball. We didn’t know he had a tax problem and would go to the highest bidder? Be serious. When do the Cardinals EVER pay people? When do they bring in impact players like Julius Peppers? I’m sick of seeing washed up Steeler players just because Whisenhunt is “comfortable” with them. How about us bringing in some people whom he is NOT confortable with and has to coach?

Whisenhunt is weak. He couldn’t even talk his neighbor into staying home to play here (McNabb).

Gimme a break. Get some players. Even the stingy Chicago Bears shelled out some money this year. Can you say 7-3 so far?

127. By Roy on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

How are you saying that we are turning on Whiz. What do you consider turning on someone. We supported him when he made good decisions and A LOT OF PEOPLE questioned him when he decided to let Leinart go. I questioned the draft of Levi Brown. I questioned starting Derek (I could overthrow Shaq) Anderson. I question his play calling since the past couple weeks we cant seem to score any points.

Bottom line, it’s not turning on someone when you disagree with what they do. Turning on him would be blaming him for things gone wrong for no apparent reason. I have seen 20+ years of Cardinal futility. Yes, Whiz was coach when we went to the Super Bowl. However, so was Todd Haley and our quarterback was Kurt Warner and our receivers were Fitzgerald/Boldin. Players made him look smart and he is heading down the Brian Billick road (offensive genious who can’t manage an offense and be head coach at the same time).

I hate to say it, but I don’t blame people who are calling for his job. It is obvious he put us in this situation and can you honestly see a way out ANYTIME soon.

128. By Darren Urban on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Mike W —

RE: QB

At this point, I’d guess everything is open.

129. By David C. on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

If we do get rolled on MNF, I doubt we’d sellout another game all season. But on the bright side, if we do get embarrassed, maybe the national media will take notice of the dysfunction Whisenhunt has caused here in the Valley.

130. By Darren Urban on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Rory —

RE: Whisenhunt

You want to criticize, fine. You want to post falsehoods — “He couldn’t even talk his neighbor into staying home to play here (McNabb)” when the Cards had no interest in him as a player — then you need to reevaluate.

131. By Darren Urban on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Rory —

RE: Whiz/fans

Anyone saying he should be fired is turning on him. Fans just criticizing, fine. But saying he should be out is turning on him, and I have seen plenty of posts like that. How can you say that’s not turning on him?

What I should do is look back to before he signed his extension. Wonder what people were saying then. Mostly “if the Cards let him get away, this organization is stupid” and things like that.

132. By Roy on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

It is not turning on him when you say he is making the wrong decision. I can’t speak for all the other fans and I can’t say it was ALL Whiz but lets look at the facts.

-we cut the #9 pick in the draft in favor of DA
    -we drafted Levi Brown instead of Peterson
    -we traded Boldin
    -we have an offensive coordinator as coach that can’t score points while he has called plays without Boldin and Warner
    -we are amongst the league leaders in penalties so we are undisciplined

We went from boom to bust a lot faster than Whiz “took” us to the Super Bowl. As I said, ALL of it may not be his fault, but honestly answer this question. DO YOU THINK WHIZ EVEN THINKS HE IS DOING A GOOD JOB THIS YEAR?

133. By David C. on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Great points Roy! I’d also like to chime in and add we cut our first round draft pick without even giving him two full seasons to prove himself. I’d understand if Matt Leinart was given several years to develop, like Trent Edwards and J.P. Losman and JaMarcus Russell, but no, we allowed a stubborn head coach with a an axe to grind (Leinart was drafted by the previous regime) to slowly destroy our nucleus of young, talented players. Now we’re left with Whiz’s picks – The Paris Lenons, the Timmy Hightowers and several past their prime ex-Steelers Whiz crushed on back when he was in Pittsburgh. We went from having one of the youngest, most athletic teams in all of football to having one of the oldest. All on Whiz’s watch (Interesting enough, after he negotiated final say over the 53-man roster). I no longer have any faith in Ken Whisenhunt to right this ship he helped sink.

134. By Doug on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Rory,

Fitz is getting 10 mil a year. Boldin’s 3 year extention from the Ravens is about 8.3 a year. They re-signed Dockett, with time left on his contract. As they did with Boldin originally. They gave big money to Warner who opted to leave after a year of signing. That’s a lot of money for just a potential handful of players. And that’s not including paying your first round picks year after year. NYG secondary was really hurting; that’s why they over-paid, yes, over-paid for Rolle. Given Rhodes salary and play this year, Antrelle is an after thought. Dansby leaving really hurt. But it’s not like they didn’t try to lock him up. And depending on which report you want to consider accurate, they offered big money for him to stay. And all this McNabb business is just getting annoying. Because he’s really tearing it up in Washington right now. Let’s say they sign him. How much longer is he going to be effective. You can argue that he’s not even effective this season, already. So then we’re crying for a new QB in another 2 years. And look at the money he was reportedly offered. Even with the rumored clauses, he still makes A LOT of money over the next two years. I’m not sure what would cause more crying in the desert; DA playing the way he’s playing or AZ signing McNabb for all that money and watching him play the way he is right now.

135. By Isaak on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Thanks darren. Really appreciate all the work you do to keep us fans happy and up to date.

136. By clssylssy on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Proud to call myself a Cards fan and true believer throughout the lean years into the mean years when we “shocked the world”. Obviously, many of the bandwagoners were not in the stands when our own fans booed Warner or have a case of selective memory. Many of our wins were “cardiac moments” even with Warner, and, it was not one man who won the game but an entire team effort under the coaching of Ken Whisenhunt. As I have pointed out on numerous occasions, this is a business and the Bidwells have not chosen to spend the money necessary to keep players and pay for a full staff that includes an offensive and defensive coordinator. I look around the league and see players formerly with the Cards now having great success with other teams and so am inclinded to believe there is a problem within the management. We have great talent on this team, Whisenhunt has been the best coach ever and hearing all the armchair experts each week (win or lose) rant on about why don’t we get McNabb or Vick or Young makes me wonder if they pay attention or just like to hear themselves rattle on; McNabb signed a mega contract with Washington and never had an interest in being in the valley fulltime, Vick is a happy man than Andy Reid gave him a second chance at having a career and Young is a total headcase..throwing uniform into the stands doesn’t seem somewhat crazy??
    So, we’re not having a great season. Watching the game Sunday looked like our guys had lost heart and saddened me more than made me angry. I personally believe that there are alot of behind the scenes things going on that are distracting the players, the impending lockout being foremost and responsible for much of the unusual occurrances throughout the league. As true fans we have little control but to continue to support our team instead of being part of exacerbating the problem.

2. Nov 21, 2010: Tweets that mention Word From the Birds Blog -- Topsy.com