Will Davis out with broken leg

Posted by Darren Urban on November 22, 2010 – 11:27 am

Linebacker Will Davis has a fractured fibula, coach Ken Whisenhunt said today, so he is out. It doesn’t help the depth issue, but Whisenhunt said he isn’t overly concerned at the moment. Linebacker Clark Haggans should be OK this week after sitting Sunday with a groin problem — Whisenhunt acknowledged the Cards may have rushed Haggans back the previous week against Seattle — and he noted rookie O’Brien Schofield is getting more practice time. “Not that I am ready to have O’Brien play a significant amount of snaps.”

“It’s disappointing because (Will) was playing fairly well for us,” Whisenhunt said.

Defensive end Calais Campbell has an ankle sprain that needs to be evaluated as the week goes. Whisenhunt did think running back LaRod Stephens-Howling (groin) will be ready this week. The Cards do have an extra day between games because of “Monday Night Football.” Officially, players were off Monday, although a bunch of them were down in the locker room working out.

Tags: , , , ,

70 Responses to “Will Davis out with broken leg”

1. By MikeG on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren–that’s ashame about Will Davis–seems like injuries are popping up on this team. That seems to happen when you are struggling. I think one of the problems for the Card’s disfunction on offense is the offensive line and our coaching philosophy. When we made changes on our offensive line–adding Faneca and Keith and also moving Levi Brown to a new position –I thought we would be more of a run team which plays to Faneca and Keith’s strenghts. The opposite has happened and we are throwing more– and these players are struggling in protection–our sacks are way up from last year. If we knew that we are a pass team first mentality –why change our line from last year????
    They were a good group that worked well together. Plus Kurt Warner’s game is based on timing and accuracy opposite Anderson who needs a run game to succeed. I just don’t think we are playing to our players strengths!! What do you think????

2. By R Robles on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Pick up Jarvis Moss give Cody Brown another shot he is a 2nd round pick

3. By mike b on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

So will Davis go on IR and we activate someone like Gatewood or even Pago?

This is unrelated to the subject but do you see Dray getting more catches within the next couple of games?

4. By kakie on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

I think a DPF (Dumb Play Fund) should be started by the Cardinals. The money at the end of the season could be given to youth football leagues or a charity. At the end of each game, players would pay their “fines” to the fund. A fine could be for penalties which could have been avoided if the player was “using his head.” A fine could be for missed tackles. A fine could be for high passes thrown by the quarterback which places players in jeopardy when going up high to catch the ball. The players themselves could create the list. Something has to be done to make the players more accountable for their actions. Players keep saying they are in this as a team! Then be accountable for your individual actions because those actions are affecting the TEAM.

5. By Rugbymuffin on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Get well soon Will Davis.

-JM

6. By georgiebird on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Will Davis has been a big disappointment. He seems to have the talent but he has been so injury prone. It’s not a good sign for the future when young defensive guys like Davis, Washington, Williams, Campbell, Branch and to a lesser extent DRC don’t show that everyday improvement in their play. Throughout the league, I see rookies 2nd year guys and 3rd year guys showing the improvement that will make them the stars of tomorrow.
    Maybe if these guys were brought into a real good defense that had a missing piece or two, they would raise the level of their play.
    Like the old time Cardinals, it’s a vicious cycle to get out of.

7. By chad d. on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

He was playing pretty well, this is a blow to an already thin position. who starts in the place of cc?

8. By john on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

It just keeps getting worse!

Personally, I’m OK with us losing this year. I hope we go 3-13 to tell you the truth. As a long time Cardinal fan, I can recognize a bad team when I see one. And this is a very bad team. (On a side note, I believe Whiz is a solid coach who should be here for years to come.)

Why 3-13? Because rumor has it that Andrew Luck will enter the draft in 2011. If this rumor is correct, The answer is here. Now I’m a big Mallot fan, but Luck is special. With only Carolina not winning more than 3 games by the end of the year, we are in prime striking to grab him in a trade of 1st round picks. (Hopefully Carolina is happy with Clausen or maybe they can get lucky and win a couple more, like that game against the cards) Drafting Luck would make signing Larry and Breaston alot easier.

Again, if you can draft a franchise QB, you can turn around a team (ie; Aikman, Manning, Elway or more recent; Sanchez, Freeman, Bradford, Ryan and Flacco. Look at the teams struggling. They all need a QB or in the Lions case, a healthy QB.

Sure, its not a sure thing (see Leinart) and maybe Kolb could be like Matt Schaub. Some will yell for VY or Mcnabb. But I’ve seen my share of Jim McManns and Boomer Easison , Dave Brown and Steve Beurlien. The list goes on. Please , no more promises of a washed up vet saving us( Let’s face it , We got lucky with Warner.)
    Andrew Luck is as close to a sure thing as you can get. I hope we lose enough to have a shot at drafting him.
    After all, I remember sitting in the stands cheering as we knocked out the Vikings on the last play of the season. We didnt care that we dropped from #1 overall to #2, we were just happy to win. Lets see, Peyton Manning went #1. We took Traded down to 3 and took Andre Wadsworth.
    How did that win work out for us?

Just Lose Baby!

9. By Paul on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Well let’s see. The Vikings were running off the rails when the Cards came to town and ran into the ditch after. In between a two touchdown rally and win against the Cards. Seattle gets jack stomped the two games prior coming to UOP. Then blows us out here and then gets jack stomped by the Saints. KC had lost their two prior games, one a blowout to Denver. We come to town and make everything right again. Notice a trend. We are becoming everyone’s good ship lollipop. Just like the old days.
    Now the 49ers come for MNF. They stunk yesterday but they will come in more jacked for the game than we will be. Troy Smith will look like Michael Vick. Then he will be benched the following week. Why don’t we ever punk a team. I don’t have an answer. Maybe we need a psychiatrist on the staff.

10. By James on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

darren-

i was wonderign can u clear up if there is any talk of us and vince young

– JAMES

11. By PWalker on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Good Luck to Will.

Darren the only way to save this season is to win out. If they lose Monday night then I would expect a change in direction and start working towards next year.

Guys like DRC, Dockett and Cambell have not lived up to their accolades. I don’t think that is all about the players.

As far as the offense goes, what they do about the QB situation will tell us whether or not the ownership and head coach are serious about winning (and can evaluate talent).

Todd Haley is doing it the right way, you have to have quality coaches (OC & DC), KC has less talent than Arizona, but far superior coaching. I can’t emphasize that enough. I hope Whis sees the light before it is too late; it would be a shame to waste what he has built.

12. By PWalker on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

If there is anything that the Bidwills should have learned while in Arizona, is that you cannot win without quality coaches.

13. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

MikeG —

RE: Strengths

I think the Cards are ultimately throwing more because they are behind. In games that have been close, they have had a pretty balanced run/pass. I will admit the Cards usually pass to set up the run, but that isn’t unique in today’s NFL. Would they do better otherwise because of personnel? Perhaps. But Whisenhunt evaluates them on a daily basis, so I’d defer to his decision on that.

14. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Mike B —

RE: Davis/Dray

I would expect Davis to go on IR. Not sure if they would promote or go outside to fill the spot.

As for Dray, it looks like he might get some playing time, but that doesn’t equal catches.

15. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Chad D —

RE: Campbell

It would be Branch, but let’s see if Campbell is even out first. He might be OK by next week.

16. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

James —

RE: VY

Young is employed right now.

17. By MikeG on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren– You know I love Whiz–I think he is a very good coach. And Yes–the Cards have been behind in these games and you have to throw to get back in it. Whiz keeps saying when teams show 8 men in the box –you need to throw to back them off the line of scrimmage. I think we can run against an 8 man front at times and that helps our time of possession –which ultimately helps our D. Yesterday we ran the ball well(20att-101 yards–5.1 a carry)–but not enough. We threw 46 times—I just think if we throw over 35 times a game with our QB’S– it is a recipe for disaster. We have to find more ways for our run game to dictate the flow of the game. I just don’t see us winning many more games if we keep throwing the ball like this!!!

18. By MikeG on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Also Darren– I think Whiz is the best coach the organization has seen since the Coryell/Hanifan years(74-77). He knows what he is doing and we should trust him. Most good coaches are stubborn and competitive. There is a side of me that believes —Whiz wants to prove to the people wrong in believing that Warner was the main reason the Card’s succeeded. Whiz would get great satisfaction in winning(running the same offense Warner ran)- with any QB(Hall,Anderson). He wants to show that the system is more important than an individual player. Do you think any of that is valid????

19. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

MikeG —

RE: System

It’s a hypothesis, but I have no way to get inside his head. I think he just thinks it is an effective system.

20. By Lone-Eagle on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,

This will be my last blog for a while. You have enough complaining on this site and it is all the same each week, just different wording and different fans. I will continue however to read the blogs and stay current. I really am hoping for a victory on Monday Night Prime Time, but I am not holding my breathe. As much as I hate to say it, it almost appeared as though they just gave up yesterday. I didn’t see any heart out there except for a couple of players, such as the usual suspescts in Fitz, Breaston, Doucet until he got knocked out. The D-line was good in the first half and then looked as though they just got tired. Also from the rumors that are going around, it looks as though Fitz is ready to go to another team, specifically thr Cheifs. That would be another major blow to this organization! We can’t afford to let Fitz go, but once his contract is over, how do you keep him here with a lousy QB who can’t seem to throw the ball. Oh well, like I said Darren, I am going to lay off the comments for awhile, but I’ll stop by to say hi now and again. If we lose this week, do you think Skelton might start seeing some action, just wondering!!

21. By Jesse Robles on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

I say go after Cameron Newton in the Draft. A big body, like Big Ben but bigger and faster that can make plays. You look at Michael Vick and how no one gave him a chance, we can easily get this guy in the draft with Luck, Locker, and Mallet all coming out. He is about the same size as Josh Freeman for the Bucs who looks pretty good himself.

22. By Casey on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

RE: Never say never

If I told you before the season started that a head coach with four consecutive seasons of 6, 8, 10, and 12 wins, including 2 division titles with 2 different QBs, would be fired 10 games into the season and less than 1 year removed from losing to the Super Bowl Champion in the NFC Championship Game, would you have believed me?

And that progress/performance is in a much more competitive division than the NFC West over the same period of time…

Point is, with some of the quotes coming out of the Cards’ locker room over the past couple of weeks (from Fitz saying he’s tired of eating out of the garbage- what does that say about what he thinks about this teammates, the organization and this coaching staff? to Adub saying that any motivational speeches will fall on deaf ears), if this season continues on its death spiral toward double digit losses, and if after 10 games through next season if the record is close to what it is today, why would it be so difficult to imagine Whiz seriously being on the hot seat and maybe even replaced?

Once again, I think you’re very quick to dismiss what you believe are “ridiculous” suggestions today when you don’t know what the future holds… I’m sure you didn’t see Vick doing what he’s done and you didn’t think before the season started, that Brad Childress, with that record above, would be fired before the season ended (how about Wade Phillips with the talent rich Cowboys)? I didnt’ see any of this either, but I also will not be one to sit here and say “there’s no way Whiz is being fired next year.”

Look, I’m not suggesting that he should go anywhere this season/off-season. Even if they lose out to go 3-13, Whiz gets a pass on the season given what he has accomplished (even though he clearly did it with Denny’s players). BUT, he doesn’t get 2 consecutive passes, not when he’s been given so much control over the roster and coaching staff.

He will have this offseason to bring in a Marvin Lewis type Defensive Coordinator, to consider hiring an Offensive Coordinator, and to stabilize the QB situation. But if those moves don’t produce noticeable improvement on the field, it would be irresopnsible for ownership NOT to consider making a change- at least to explore possible upgrades (especially if Graves and ownership spend a lot of money this offseason trying to upgrade the roster and Whiz has top 10 picks in every round of the draft to add some of the most talented players in college football today).

I’m not putting a win total on next year as a requirement- especially as we sit here today- BUT, what I’m saying is simply that the trajectory of performance will have to be on a different path a year from now for Whiz to have any degree of job security. While the Bidwills do tend to be thrifty with their money, they also aren’t afraid to fire a coach with 2 years remaining on this contract (how many did Buddy have? Denny?).

Look at how quickly things change in the NFL Darren… you may continue to think that he has this locker room on his side, but I think you only need to look at a few other situations around the NFL this season to see how quickly the dynamic in the locker room changes with losing….

You don’t think this is a speech you could ever imagine hearing from Whiz?

“The past five years have been a tremendous experience for my family and I as the head coach of the Arizona Cardinals. I have a great respect for the players and coaches who I have worked with and for their dedication to each other and to the organization.

I am proud of our accomplishments and believe the foundation of this football team is stronger today than when I became head coach in 2007. I appreciate the opportunity that Rod, Michael, Bill, and the whole Bidwill family afforded me and wish them success as they move forward.”

Think about it Darren…..

23. By Casey on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

RE: Sando questions Cards’ Coaching

Does Sando make legitimate points?

1. “Listening to Ken Whisenhunt, it’s clear the Cardinals coach is mystified by his team’s poor play. In August, I emerged from Cardinals training camp thinking the team’s veteran core would keep the Cardinals competitive. Whisenhunt felt the same way. Adrian Wilson, Joey Porter, Darnell Dockett, Larry Fitzgerald, Steve Breaston and Alan Faneca brought some swagger.

–> It’s time to reassess and ask, too, whether coaches are putting players in position to succeed.<–

2. Despite issues throughout much of the roster, the Cardinals' handling of Matt Leinart and the quarterback situation in general will define this season for Arizona."

24. By akcard on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Wish Will Davis well. Regarding our coaching staff, I noticed Aaron Francisco is the starting SS for the Colts. How is it that Aaron can not make our roster, but is able to start for the Colts? It is the coaching. How many games do we have to lose before the management in this organization start facing the facts?

25. By Phoenixraven1 on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Please NO VInce Yuck, my 5 year old has more intellect than this guy! You ever heard the guy talk? How did this guy graduate high school let alone college!

26. By nate on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

It seems like coach Whiz is reeling a bit. We know he was successful in the past, that’s why half of these people are on this site. I guess he is running out of things to say about the same problems week in and week out.
    If he is going to suggest his staff isn’t putting the players in the right places, maybe its time to hold them personally responsible instead of just trying to send a message thru the media.

Us fans always suffer as a result of this organization’s stubbornness. Interesting though, in an uncapped year we are probably paying the least amount of any team to our quarterbacks. Not that I’m saying our current qb’s deserve more money. I am saying we should have shelled out more money to ensure we have capable players at the position.

Anderson seems alot more like a bargain guy than a solid veteran pickup. I thought the plan was to rely on the running game and be able to hold leads while draining the clock. That proves too difficult if the qb isn’t accurate enough to complete the necessary 3rd and 2.

At this point I think Brian St. Pierre would have the team in a better position within the division. Yeah, I said it.

27. By Casey on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

RE: You can’t have it both ways

A few more interesting points I thought I’d share with the board and ask for your reaction:

1. As Todd Haley points out, you can’t be a head coach and still put in the time necessary to be a good play caller:

“I was forced to do it last year,” Haley said. “But I never thought that’s the way it should be done. My mind-set is to be head coach of the offense, defense and special teams. You have to devote too much time to be a great play caller on offense.”

Simply put, if you could call plays as the head coach and circumvent the Offensive Coordinator role, every owner in the league would cut that position out of the payroll. History proves that you can’t. That is, you can’t if you want to be successful in this league.

2. You can’t sit there and tell everyone that your system works, and therefore, you shouldn’t make changes week to week after you’ve lost 5 games in a row to bad to mediocre teams. If this team had just lost to New England, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, the New York Jets and Baltimore Ravens in successive weeks, then maybe we’d all understand. But to lose twice to Seattle and then once to Tampa Bay (at home), Minnesota and Kansas City is a completely different story.

The roster undergoes major changes every year, the opponent changes every week and the team’s dynamic in the locker room and on the field changes daily. All of that requires a coach who can adapt and change approach, technique, tactics, communication style, disciniplary methods, etc.

There isn’t one way/approach/style that ever works across all situations, especially as situations are constantly changing like they are week to week in the NFL. Principals and values can be consistent across different times and situations, yes, but any good leader and manager knows that the way you teach/enforce/implement/illicit/reaffirm principals and values is dictated by the constantly changing parameters, people, obstacles, dynamics and elements of the moment.

Great leaders across the world are making huge changes in their organizations every day to achieve today’s goals and to make progress toward achieving tomorrow’s vision. But they aren’t stubbornly adhering to methods that worked at certain single points in time the past, but have been met with failure over and over and over and over and over again since.

It’s not to say that methods of the past can’t work again in the future- they most certainly can- when situations in the future closely mirror those same situations from the frozen past. But the situation Whiz faces today with the Cards certainly is NOT like any one he’s ever faced before.

3. You can’t continue to claim that a team looks great in practice, but isn’t translating it to the game on Sundays without addressing two important points: 1. the correlation between practicing well and playing well on Sundays and 2. the definition of “looking great” in practice.

Anyone who loves the game of golf most certainly understands these points. There is almost zero correlation between looking good on the driving range and turning around and shooting a low score that same day, let alone in the days that follow. All else equal, of course you want to look good in practice AND look good when it counts, but all else isn’t equal when you’ve lost 5 games in a row (or in the game of golf, aren’t breaking 90). When practices are 3-quarter speed, when the quarterback can’t get hit, when the players aren’t even wearing full pads, when there are no referees throwing flags, when the lights and cameras aren’t on, and when no one is watching but your closest friends, there is very litte correlation between how you perform in that situation and how you will perform in a game when all of those factors are very, very different. My point, stop trying to correlate practice performance and game performance. There is none in the game of tackle football (there isn’t even much in golf between the driving range and the course).

Secondly,how does one define “great play” in practice? Sure, when I go up against the same guys every single day for 8 months, I get a feel for their tendencies and how to exploit their weaknesses, so maybe I don’t look out of position when I can literally predict my opponent’s next move. But does that mean I’m “playing great” in practice? Or have I just learned over time how to optimize very predictable elements around me to create the appearance that I am competent? Practices are by nature full of routine and repetitiveness, and therefore, can be “learned” or “mastered” over time. But mastering easily predictable circumstances doesn’t equal “greatness” and it certainly doesn’t translate into wins on Sundays in the NFL.

Whiz talks in disblief about how his team doesn’t react well when things in games change and are different from what players have seen in practice. Really Whiz? Really? I wonder why? Because the other team’s function is to create circumstances that are as different as anything you’ve “learned” or “mastered” as possible.

Whiz likes the way his team looks in practice because he has structured a set of circumstances in practice that allow his team to succeed. When those same circumstances are not provided by the opponent on Sundays, his team looks awful. I guess “looking great” in practice then is really like memorizing a textbook. Sure, you can regurgitate that text book word for word, but that doesn’t mean you can actually “think” and apply those concepts to changing situations. When someone asks you a question that a sentence right out of textbook answers, you look smart. When someone changes that question even just a little, you look completely confused and ill-prepared.

My advice: start making practice more difficult- start putting players in situations in practice they aren’t comfortable with, that they’ve never seen. Sure, they may not look “great” in practice like they have the past 5 weeks, but I’m willing to bet, they will look a lot better on Sundays when it counts.

Thanks,
    Casey

28. By Flood on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Ok, the year we beat the Vikings and lost the number one pick was the year Eli Manning went #1 and we dropped to #3 where we drafted some guy Larry Fitzgerald so how did that work out? Only six years off on your facts John! Nice try though (however, I am a huge Luck fan but not a fan of tanking.)

29. By itsjustmeagain on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Whiz’s comment

“If you look around the league, you see (rough times) happen to other teams.

Will someone tell him we play in the NFC West and we are at the bottom.

Rough times, good answer

30. By wayne on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Hope everything goes well for Davis and his re-hab for his leg. I am getting sick of the CARDS fans (most of them) blaming the losing streak on ANDERSON, I am not a fan of DA but he has not played that bad the last 4 games, it’s our defense that’s the problem, A-DUB is not playing well, DOCKETT is no where to be found and we don’t have a shut down corner like the CARDS thought, we lost pretty good players and replaced them with not very good players. We have no disipline at all and that has to do with the coaching, we had a very good O-LINE last year but we made STUPID changes to it. We need a offensive coordinator that mixes the play calling more, and sorry DAVIS but the defense was better before you took over, maybe it’s the defensive players but I don’t think so, I think the coaching staff starting with WIZ needs to take a look in the mirror and say “shoot did I make some bad decisions in training camp” .
    Darren, I know you work for the CARDS and you won’t badmouth them but please give your opinion onwhat you see diferent from last year besides not having WARNER.

Thanks, Wayne.

31. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Casey —

RE: Sando

Sure he does. I have no problem echoing those points. Not sure who would argue otherwise.

Notice though, he doesn’t come in on issue one saying exactly what it is — coaching or players. Nor does he pass judgment on No. 2, just that it defined the season. And it absolutely does. This season starts with the quarterback play, ever since the beginning of camp.

32. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

akcard —

RE: Francisco

Or that the Colts, I believe, are missing both starting safeties to injury.

33. By georgiebird on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Finding it difficult to agree with the fans on the KC game. KC is an excellent team at home. Losing in KC was to be expected even if the Cardinals were a much better team.
    What is much more disturbing is losing to a sorry Seahawk team (at UofP) and to a totally messed up Viking team- those were losses that really put the Cardinals at the bottom of the league.

34. By darrel on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

The same guy who slipped in the supperbowl and caused holmes. To make 35yard play…. Dumb point lol

35. By tyman on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Too Bad davis has been a bright spot on the team all season. I think its time to start thinking about next season though. We are loosing all our key role players to injury, thats hard to over come. Start the scouting for QB’s.

36. By steve on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

\

WITH THE 9TH PICK IN THE 2011 NFL DRAFT……………THE ARIZONA CARDINALS SELECT…………………..QUARTERBACK RYAN MALLET UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS.

37. By TucsonTim on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Whiz said today that he thought we had hit rock bottom, OH MY, now I know you know better.

And you spelled wind “win” Whole organization is going to hell in a handbasket :-O

38. By Chuck 1 on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

For any Pollyanna and glass half-full fans out there, FUGGEDABOUTIT.
    The season is over.
    In my humble opinion, there are three main reasons:
    #1: $$$$$$$$$$ The Bidwills won’t spend the money to field a competitive team.
    #2: Terrible personnel decisions in selecting coaches and drafting college players and signing Free Agents.
    #3: Very questionable game planning and game day coaching.
    Regarding fixes for #1, #2 and #3:
    #1: Once fans don’t renew season tickets and sell-outs cease, it MIGHT make a difference in the Bidwill’s approach. But, then again, as long as they make a profit, they may not care.
    #2: This is a more difficult, if not nearly impossible, one to fix.
    Graves, Whiz and the Scouting organization have proven over the last few years that they don’t have the ability to make wise personnel decisions e.g. Anderson, Faneca, Buster Davis, Cody Brown, Max Hall, Skelton, Levi Brown, trading Wells, letting Boldin and Dansby go, Leinart etc.
    When Whiz needs a player, his default choice is the AFC Central Division.
    There is no reason to believe that, even if the Cards get very high draft choices this year, they will make good draft choices so who cares if they get the #1 pick or the 10th pick.
    #3: Who believes that Graves and Whiz will make meaningful changes to the coaching staff during the off-season e.g. hire a competent OC and competent DC??? Raise your hands. So, there is no fix for that.
    This franchise just entered a dark period until new owners, GM and Head Coach are in place.
    Get ready for Fitz to leave. Why should he stay?

39. By Eazy E on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

That is a big blow because our depth at OLB is super thin, we need clark and joey to play that much better with him out. Whoever don’t like VY or McNabb as our QB is crazy. Have you seen our QB play this year? I’d much rather have those two without a doubt. Vince’s win-loss record is a sparkling 30-17 and what else can I say about a qb like McNabb! Our QB play is the worst in the league or among the worst in the league and yall complaining about maybe getting VY or McNabb? That’s stupid and ignorant as hell!!

40. By brad oneill on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

stevie baggs is probably available now that his team just got knocked out of the playoffs. he is the kind of guy we want, he turned down his shot at the nfl earlier this year because he had already committed to the tiger cats. We should go grab him before someone else does.

41. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Wayne —

RE: Difference

It starts at quarterback. You can say he is playing better — and Anderson is — but there are still too many opportunities lost on missed throws to open receivers, i.e., the deep pass to Breaston Sunday. I do think the discipline is lacking, although I think it has gotten worse in part because of the extended losing. I also think some players are not playing to their capabilities — or don’t have those capabilities — especially defensively. Some of that could be explained with coaching perhaps, but there have been too many other times when I don’t think coaching is the problem.

42. By Barry Bond on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Lets grab Vince Young. He beat Matt Leinart twice. And he is a lot more accurate then DA. Time after time balls are thrown way over the heads of Fitzgerald and Breaston even when they are open! They DESERVE better.

43. By Barry Bond on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

We have lost five straight games. How long will it last? Will we lose the next six games? I think the defense has given up, especially the pass defense. Deep passing has killed us in the Seattle, Tampa Bay, Minnesota, and Kansas City games. How come all these teams have our number when it comes to the long ball???

44. By akcard on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren: The point that Francisco made the Colts team, whether he is even starting or not, is the issue. He couldn’t even make our team. Who has the better defense, Indy or the Cards? We are on the bottom defensively and all we hear is that our personnel sucks. Well, if our personnel is so bad, why can a player that does not make our team go to a team that has a better defense than ours and make their team. Please explain that to me.

45. By brad oneill on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

I really really really hope we dont pick up kyle orton when denver lets him go so the head coach can show off how good a pick Tebow was.

46. By Casey on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

RE: Sando’s comments

I agree with you Darren, thank you for the response. Hang in there- none of the Cardinals’ problems are your problems, personally. The team’s problems just make your job more difficult, but I think your work product is better as a result of being in put in a position to respond to challenging questions/comments from fans.

I am still confident/optimistic that we will see quite a bit of improvement in personnel and coaching (I don’t mean a change in Whiz’s status) from this year to next year, but I do find it a bit peculiar that Whiz seems to suggest that this year’s struggles are just another “random event” in the universe. Like, I don’t know, earthquakes (they aren’t necessarily random, but usually still unexpected). He seems to be trying to convince all of us (and maybe himself) that pure randomness explains 3-7, like “these things happen to everyone at some point in time totally out of the blue and there is nothing you can really do to see them coming or prevent them.”

Well, that’s just BS. The Cardinals made their bed last off-season and are now sleeping in it. THEY decided to trade Anquan Boldin, THEY decided not to make truly (emphasis on truly) competitive offers to Rolle and Dansby before they hit free agency, THEY decided to play with fire by letting those guys shop themselves to set their market value (which obviously surprised Whiz and Graves), And even after Rolle and Dansby became free agents, THEY decided not to overpay by modestly front loading the contracts in an uncapped year, THEY decided not to sign Marc Bulger even after they had signed Derek Anderson (is there some rule in the CBA I don’t know about that says you can’t sign 2 free agent QBs in the same off-season?), THEY chose not to draft a QB in ’07, ’08, and ’09 who could have been developed to push Leinart when inevitably Warner would retire (I don’t think Warner ever falsified his birth certificate or hid his concerns about concussions and life after football).

Although Whiz and Graves obviously hoped that some spontaneous, favorable randomness in the universe would somehow allow them to succeed despite the decisions THEY made that wouuld seem to imply otherwise, they cannot suggest to anyone that the struggles this team is facing at 3-7 are somehow the consequence of an unexpected/uncontrollable/unpredictable series of random events. Honestly, it just continues to reinforce the concern fans have that Whiz and Graves’ inability/unwillingness to acknowledge the incredible deficiencies on this team will lead to a reluctance in the off-season to make the kind of major changes that need to be made.

How can we be confident that anything will change next year if Whiz attributes the struggles this year to “things that just happen to teams in the NFL” like the apparently random orbiting pattern of a previously undiscovered planet in an adjacent solar system. These things that have lead to the Cards’ trouble this year are well understood by everyone and it’s just time for Whiz to hold himself accountable.

Again, if Whiz can’t hold himself accountable, and if he can’t demonstrate that accountability to fans, how can we have any confidence that he will be making changes this off-season?

Thanks,
    Casey

47. By AndyStandsUp on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

I was going to ask if it is feasible for the Cards to sign Cody Brown off the NY Jets practice squad for Davis’ roster spot, but after reading Casey’s tribute to War and Peace, the latest Harry Potter film and Thanksgiving dinner with the in-laws, I’m afraid there may not be enough memory space to post any more comments.
    Darren, if you can read this, be sarcastic twice.

48. By Brian R. on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Lets look at plans:

1. Fire D. Anderson or make him second string. Fire the QBing coach, he cannot develop a QB to save his own life.

2. Look into Kolb, the Eagles are definitely going to keep Vick.

Derek Anderson isn’t going to cut it for the Arizona Cardinals. He is averaging 4.2 points a game, which clearly isn’t cutting it.

Look at Sam Bradford, rookie for the Rams, doing way better than Anderson.

49. By Darren Urban on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

akcard —

RE: Francisco

Guys are shuffled in and out all the time. The Colts themselves cut him after last season and didn’t re-sign him until after this season started. I’m not trying to pick on Aaron, but come on here, we’re not talking Ronnie Lott.

50. By Darren Urban on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Casey —

RE: Confidence/faith

Like any faith, I think that becomes a personal choice. :)

51. By Nathan on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Darren – Have you talked to Whisenhunt about playing the quarterback position yourself yet?

Cmon man, we need ur help, and not just your written word.

52. By Jesse Robles on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Why are we even talking about Francisco? He is not even a starter, we have problems of our own that Francisco could not help but only make worse.

53. By PREDATOR 2 on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Ken Whisenhunt, Casey is right (you can’t have it both ways).
    you’ve been figured out and your boys have been made.

This is dread man, truly dread.

54. By akcard on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Darren: Have to agree with you on Francisco, he is no Lott. Aaron is a journeyman player, for his sake, it is possible he could improve to become better. This goes to the bigger point I have been trying to make, that the Cards coaching staff is a big reason for the poor performance this year, and not just the lack of talent of the players. The Colts are able to be competitive with a player of Aaron’s caliber starting for them, while the Cards are not.

55. By Adam on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

When is Whiz gonna take responsibility for running a horrible ship????

His teams have never been disciplined even when Kurt Warner was there. We always have had problems with penalties and that’s why we were 8-8 and 9-7 with Kurt Warner. You think we will come close to that now????

WHIZ is too nice and it shows how his players take advantage of that. He doesn’t know how to implement stringent rules. You should always start out strict and discipline as a coach because you can always lay off a little later.

But when you are a nice and skittish coach it is too hard to be stringent and strict because your players won’t believe you. They know that is not you and it doesn’t look real when you try to implement stringent and strict rules. WHIZENHUNT is afraid of all the guys on the TEAM that make ALL the MONEY. YOU CAN TAKE THAT ONE TO THE BANK.

WHIZ runs from confrontation and blames everyone else for his horrible decisions as a coach. One of the biggest problems here is penalties and discipline.

WHIZ’ teams are never disciplined and always make bone head mistakes. Remember, the teams take on the personality of the head coach.

WHIZ.. YOU NEED TO LOOK IN THE MIRROR AT YOURSELF AND BE HONEST.

56. By Darren Urban on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

akcard —

RE: Colts

With the injuries they have endured, the Colts are competitive because they have Peyton Manning. Period. End of story.

57. By Adam on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Remember when the 49ers were the laughing stock of the NFC WEST?? When we were all making fun of them and what was going on there???

Well, the same thing that can make you laugh will make you cry. LOOK AT US NOW!! WHOEVER LOSES THIS MONDAY NIGHT GAME WILL BE THE LAUGHED AT BY EVERYONE IN THE NFC WEST. WILL WE RISE TO THE OCCASION??

THE DEFENSE GIVES UP AN AVG of 29.0 POINTS A GAME AND ON SUNDAY WE GAVE UP 31 POINTS… NICE!!!!! Right on target.

WAY TO GO BILLY DAVIS!!!!

58. By Darren Urban on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Adam —

RE: Whisenhunt issues

That’s right. I did see you in the locker room the last few weeks. I was wondering who that was. Must’ve been research.

59. By NJAzCardsFan on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Life as a Cardinal Fan…..

Every summer time we look forward to the training camp. Our expectations are filled with hopes and dreams of a winning season. We eagerly watch what happens to that years new draft choices and FA picks.

Then the exhibition seaons starts…. maybe we win a game or two…. Things seem don’t too bad and we have high hopes for a winning season…..

Sometime in October the season start to go awry…. Close games are lost, with victory being snatched by the jaws of defeat in the closing minutes by some stupid play, penalty or avoidable gaff.

Before we know it, it is the end of November….
    Mathematically we are still in the chase, but the reality is that we know we are not. But as true Cardinal fans we still hold out some hope….

By December the TV sets are turned off or we stop going to the local bar to watch the game on the NFL Network. We do this in disgust, knowing the season is lost…. We can’t force ourselves to continue to watch the misery any longer….

Come the spring are sights, once again turn to the April draft in hope of fnding some saviors that will lead us to the road to victory once again…..

Then the cycle starts all over again after the draft….

I have been a Cardinal fan since I was a little kid in the mid-60’s. Did we really have back to back winning seasons and go to the Superbowl??? Or was that a dream???

60. By MikeG on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren–Do you think we will see more of Daryl Washington the last six games of the season??? It may be wise to play him more and give him game experience which will help him in the future. His playing time seemed to shorten once Hayes came back. He has very good speed and should be a good player in this league in the coming years. Have a Happy Thxgiving!!
    We’ll email you over the weekend!–See what happens in this Niner game–
    Always seems to be a good game regardless of their records!!!!

61. By tRiGidY on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Fire the Whiz!! Its time to clean house!!

62. By tRiGidY on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Whisenhunt isn’t ready to concede that his 3-7 team has regressed??(WHAT?)

Darren?? have the Cards Regressed??

Or should we Just ask ADUB the same Question? He is a man! he will answer it!!
    Not like Whiz!

Trust in Whiz( No More) Past seasons are past seasons! This is 2010 what have u done for us this year?? Got us on track for #1 overall pick in 2011.

Time to Give Whisenhunt his Walking Papers, He can find a team that cares about pass seasons! more then this one??

Jimmy Johnson just put a Fork in the Whiz’

63. By john farrell on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

i don’t know whether to laugh or cry when i go to the cardinals’ website and there are pictures of the various players that the organization wants us to select for the pro bowl. there is only one player this year who deserves our votes and that is larod stephens-howling. i hope he gets healthy soon.

64. By tRiGidY on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Best Advise to Whiz! bring back D.Green to help u Draft a team!!

Whiz Burnt a bridge an got us nothing in return for Leinart?? (Nothing) He Killed any Trade worth? Seattle would have gave us something if we shopped Leinart week 1 of the Preseason or after the 2009 season?? (But NO)

We Didn’t put a claim in for Trent Edwards?? or make a trade knowing we need a QB??? An DA wasn’t going to Cut it

Don’t tell us u like Skelton.u The QB we wanted in the Draft of 2010! an Traded Mcfadden to get the Pick?? When u play DA’ over him?, haha (The Pick Machine) if we cut DA today he couldn’t get a job in the UFL or CFL but he is Cards Starter??

We Draft A.Roberts (What??) from PowerHouse The Citadel LOL to replace Q haha! That was a joke!

J.Calvin are only other punt returner! Lets just trade him for someone we all knew was going to get cut!! (Scott) as Calvin returns in Philly! as a Rookie

65. By Adam on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

HAS WHIZ LOST THE TEAM???? I THINK SO.. YOU CAN TELL BY THE COMMENTS THAT THE LEADERS ARE MAKING TO THE MEDIA.

THEY WANT TO SAY MORE BUT YET THEY WANT TO KEEP THEIR JOBS TOO.

WE HAD AVG REGULAR SEASONS AND VERY GOOD POST SEASONS WITH KURT WARNER. NOW WE HAVE DESPICABLE REGULAR SEASONS AND NO POST SEASON. FITZ WAS RIGHT ABOUT THE CAVIAR.. NOW WERE EATING SARDINES.

SOMEBODY HELP!!!!

66. By Darren Urban on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

MikeG —

RE: Washington

I’m not sure he will get as much time as the beginning of the season with Hayes back. But if they are eliminated, that could change.

67. By NYCARDSFAN on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Casey… I must say I look forward to and really enjoy reading your posts. I dont necessarily agree with every detail, but keep it up. You are obviously a true cardinals fan. You spend a lot of time and put a lot of thought into what you type and arent afraid to express an opinion that some see as unpopular.

2. Nov 22, 2010: Will Davis / Cardinals OLB Will Davis is out for the season due to a fractured left fibula. Injuries at linebacker | Sporty Twits
  3. Nov 23, 2010: Sports Review