About that Fitz quote

Posted by Darren Urban on November 23, 2010 – 3:10 pm

I was among the reporters sitting around Larry Fitzgerald last week when he did his weekly talk with the media. I was one of the ones asking questions about how hard it was to be mired in a losing streak and, also, if it was harder now than, for example, that eight-game losing streak he and the Cards endured in 2006. Then Fitz said the quote that, apparently, was heard ’round the world.

“This is way worse than before,” Fitzgerald said. “I had never won on this level before. I have tasted the caviar now, and eating out of the garbage is not where I want to be.”

Now, it was a great turn of the phrase. Fitz can be very good at this. But that, and the other things he said about not being able to escape football and the losses right now, hit the national level when Mike Florio of profootballtalk.com and NBC grabbed hold of it, and suddenly, everyone assumes Fitz has a foot out the door (Of course, Fitz said the words Thursday and I even tweeted it out that day, and it didn’t seem to ripple then, so why the panic three days later?).

My point is context. The “caviar/garbage” line wasn’t uttered in anger. It didn’t sound like a man fed up. (I wish I had audio/video to post, but alas, I do not). Nothing has changed with Fitz because of this losing streak.

Now, don’t get it twisted. I’m not saying Fitzgerald isn’t frustrated, or that he isn’t concerned about the quarterback situation going forward (not that he has ever admitted that). I’m not saying it’s a lock he signs an extension in Arizona. But I am saying, at this point, I still think his signing long-term with the Cards remains the most likely outcome. Fitzgerald was making the point that after winning, losing is much harder to take. It doesn’t always have to have a subtext. In this case, I think he was just calling fish eggs fish eggs, and nothing else.

Tags:

79 Responses to “About that Fitz quote”

1. By Jaylinn on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

I absolutely agree with fitz. I would be mad as well. Its as though Derek Anderson and fitz have no chemistry at all. This time last season Fitz was either 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in receptions, yards, and touchdowns in the league. This season he is not even on the top stats. Would I continue to be a cardinal fan if Fitz leaves?, probably not. Derek is a good quaterback, but we all kinow the best, the one that almost got them a ring…Kurt Warner. Everythong has completely changed since last season. I hoped that the Cardinals would have a 11-5 record, but instead they can only be 9-7. This is very frustrating as one of the biggest Cardinal fans ever. I just hope they can revive themselves to be NFC West champions 3 seasons consecutively.

2. By Ben on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

(FYI…Director of Operations.) At your level you should always have audio!
    Thank you very much for your continued ‘insider’ coverage of my Cardinals!

I have been a fan of the Cards since the age of 7 (I am now 35). I was raised in Charleston Illinois and my summers were filled with Cardinal wonderment and experiences in the early eighties.

From my picture in the paper with Jim Hart to a home cooked meal that my Mom made for Earl Ferrell. Free tickets and hanging out with the likes of Stump Mitchell and O.J. Anderson.

My brother and I enjoyed those Rockwellian summers, asking for autographs from undrafted free agents (before we knew what that meant), spending the whole day, every day at Eastern Illinois’ football facilities, watching the Cardinals (our Idols), practice for the next season.

Thank you Cards for the last two years!
    And (Thank You!)…2010-11 Cards for what you are building now!
    Sincerely,
    Ben & Chris
    Davis

3. By joeldude on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Fitz is all class and he ain’t givin up

4. By Peter in Canada on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

This is an example of the paranoia that surrounds losing teams. I sympathize that you are forced to write a story about the obvious. Larry likes winning better than losing. Larry isn’t discussing his future with the team. Larry will do what he feels is best for himself. How is that any different from the other 3 billion or so people on the planet

5. By Victor on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

I think Fitz is gonna still sign a Long term contract. What do u think Darren?

6. By Eric on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Mike Florio is the master at spin. I can’t take his site or his opinions seriously because he rarely has a basis for them. The guy is a lawyer isn’t he?

7. By D on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

But he was not calling it rotten fish eggs because they stink right now, right? ha ha

8. By Mindset on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

I agree with you Darren. Fitz is a class act. However on the flip side he has the passion to want to win games. I have said all along defense wins games and the Cards defense has been very weak. The defense was weak the year they went to the SB and the defense cost them that game. Bringing in a QB with a losing track record was the worst move anyone can make. That would be like investing into a failed stock clearly knowing it’s failing. With all due respect the team should have given Lienhart the job. Looking at the schedule the Cards will not win another game this year because of the QB situation. If I am Fitz I would not sign a long term deal. Even if he accepts more money, it would be worth it if he can get with a good team with potiential who wants to win.

9. By Truefan787 on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Darren, we all know that if Florio didn’t take stories from real reporters and spin them out of context to make SENSATIONAL HEADLINES, he wouldn’t have a career.

So there you go.

Larry Fitzgerald isn’t simply going to cut and run from AZ without much thought and discussion with the FO and CKW about the direction of this team going forward. Yes Larry holds all the leverage but I dont think he’s the kind of person to just bail on his team after one bad season. (unlike alot of Cardinal fans)

10. By Paul on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Everyone that reads PFT knows that Mike Florio is a *hit starter. That’s his schlick.

11. By Flood on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Mike Florio blew a comment out of proportion and made a big deal of nothing? Surely you jest. Next you’re going to tell me Will Davis is going on IR, we are playing the Niners on Monday Night, and the sun rises in the east. Great blog by the way.

12. By wayne on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

I really do believe that he loves ARIZONA and will sign the extension but like always with professional sports they want to see the team trying to get better and I think GRAVES and BIDWELL will do that. I noticed that some of the blogs yesterday, CARDS fans are saying to draft a QB and thats fine but don’t expect him to start from the beginning. I think we will sign a free agent QB and wait for SKELTON to come along if we want to win next year, I think offensively we have the talent just many injuries to RB and WR, I just think we ned help on the defensive side more than anything else, and I have liked our special teams the last 3 years.

Thanks, Darren “have a great turkey day”

13. By ross on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

I think fish eggs are gross.

14. By Kahrdz on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

They’ll promise him a solid QB next season and he will stay.

15. By Kahrdz on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

If you go to a game like 80% of fans are wearing #11 jerseys, It’s just hard to believe he’ll be ignored.

16. By Myman"Larry" on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Larry and all the receivers have every right to be frustrated and concerned about the “quarterback situation”. If “DEREK ANDERSON” (if I knew his middle name I would add it because he is in the dog house)can not figure out how to stop over throwing the receivers he should not be in the starting position. Doucet got hurt cause of DEREK. When DEREK throws the ball too high and the receiver does his best to reach up for it, it leaves the receiver vulnerable and that is how DEREK gets them hurt. Enough is enough, how long are we going to keep DEREK in as starter, till he gets our number one receiver on the injury reserve. Our season is on the verge of being over put Max back in, let him work out the kinks and get ready for next year. I am over DEREK! Mark my word, he is going to get one of our receivers hurt. Take him out before he gets someone else taken out.

17. By Judy on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Darren:
    Do you honestly think that Fitzgerald will stay here after the mess Wiz made of the QB position? If Derek Anderson is still our starting QB next season,even i will not stay,as a STH that is.Fitzgerald is risking life and limb every time he tries to catch one of those sky high balls.I as a fan feel the same way as he does about the caviar,and garbage.We got a taste of winning,and now losing is much harder to stomach.

18. By TucsonTim on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Are we to believe that Fitz/Fitz’s agent went to the touble to word his contract this way (I know I only know what is reported) so that he can endure this type of QB play. I’m sure he would rather have Skelton throwing him the ball than: Rivers, Manning, Brees, Vick, Rodgers, Freeman, Ryan, Brady….

Can’t wait to hear the Cards try to tell the fans that Williams is ready to step up and replace Fitz, just like Doucet has stepped up and replaced Q

BTW when asked about McNabb’s contract before MNF last week, Fitz made a point of saying the Redskins really know how to take care of their players…twice for emphasis

19. By Darren Urban on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Jaylinn —

RE: Fitz

Somehow, you managed to miss the point of the entire blog entry.

20. By bish- illinois on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

its easy-
    warner-caviar
    D.A-garbage,
    dont blame Fitz one bit, the guys a warrior

21. By Dre on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Fans don’t buy tickets to come see coaches coach; they buy tickets to see their favorite player(s) play. I believe the difference between a Boldin and a Fitz is Fitz had the franchise look over Bolin. I mean, a billboard with Fitz going up high for a catch gets people excited and that goes a long way inside the business of the game. So as long as they can keep people in their seats everything will be cool. But the minute the money comes up short, all I can say is Whisenhunt better not let that happen. The team won’t lose their money maker and like I said, fans don’t come to see coaches. The Cardinals built one of the best stadiums in the world…this is not the same ol’ Cardinals trust me.

I’m not calling for Whisenhunts job, I don’t have too. I think the last 6 games and whatever number of games going into next season Mr. Whisenhunt better have turned this team back into a competitor or a big change will be made.

No matter what light that statement was made in, it was a very well thought out and powerful collection of words…”I have tasted the caviar now, and eating out of the garbage is not where I want to be.” Fitz has been around league and have done enough media work to know how this game works. Good of you Fitz.

22. By Tod on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

@Darren

Well stated! I’m glad you were there to bring clarity and context to the remark.

However, why would Fitz stay?

This is a QB league. We all now clearly see the value of a good QB … because we don’t have any.

The prospects of getting a good QB don’t necessarily look good at this point either.

This is going to be a very important off season for Michael, Rod, Whiz and company. They need to find a good to better than average QB.

I wasn’t a huge Matt L. fan … but, I’m sorry, DA is going to end up killing most of our WRs if he can’t figure out how to hit them in the chest pretty soon. There is no way Matt L. would’ve been this bad.

23. By Truefan787 on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

@Jaylinn

You call yourself one of the “biggest Cardinal fans EVER” right after you say that you will “Probably not” continue to be a Cardinals fan if Fitz leaves. Bit of a cotradiction there, it sounds like you’re one of the biggest Larry Fitzgerald fans ever and you couldn’t care less about what the Cardinals do without him.

All you people who threaten to quit being Cardinals fans after this season can suck an egg. Nobody cares if you jump off the bandwagon after 1 bad season. Now you can all go back to rooting for Dallas…. Oh wait, they suck too. I hear there is still room on the Saints bandwagon.

24. By TucsonTim on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

29. Arizona Cardinals (No. 28; 3-7): The Cards’ best sellout strategy? “Only [insert] home games left for Larry Fitzgerald in Arizona!”

Power rating from ProfootballTalk.com

25. By Joe-B on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

I took it the same way as you. Florio just likes to stir stuff up.

Fitz is still on pace for an 1,100 yard, 8 Touchdown season though, so at least he has that.

26. By tRiGidY on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Darren, sorry for the Drive-by negativity LOL your a funny guy!!

Started Drinking those 40’s Early!!

Keep up the Great work chat with you all tomorrow!!!

Just had to get the Red Rage out of me!! Happy Thanksgiving to all the Bigred Family’s!!

27. By NorthernCard on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Fitz certainly is a class act. Its not surprising how some people in the media can take a quote and put their own devious spin on it. I think anyone that has followed this team for any length of time knows that Fitz would never criticise this team in front of the media. Its just not how he rolls.

One thing I think is important though is that Fitz wants to win. If I am not mistaken he is under contract here through next season (assuming there is a next season), but if we don’t get this QB situation worked out could any of us really blame him for taking a look at free agency? I know that we’ve got a pretty good program that the player believe in, but what happens if we continue the losing trend this season and its more of the same next? Do we expect Fitz will stay around? Do we expect Docket will be here long term? or Beanie? or any of our key players?

I hate to rehash it, but the decisions that were made this off season are at least in large part the reason why we all find ourselves in this dreary situation. I know ever team goes through its ups and downs, but we’ve gone from one end of the spectrum to the other in less than 2 years time. The optimist in me, wants to believe that the players will stick around because they believe it can all be turned around and because they want to be in Arizona. Unfortunately, I am a realist and I think the players are very liable to leave if the coaching staff and/or front office can’t get some serious issues worked out.

-northern

28. By Mark on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    So how many times a day do you shake your head at these comments? Ballpark? You probably shouldn’t answer that. Well I did read your article the other day (I read em all plus comments) and I totally agree he sounded like he was speaking about losing, not the QB or organization. It would be way out of character for him to speak passive-aggressively like that anyway. Florio is probably just like most reporters, trying to generate controversy to get more people to read his article. Over-sensationalism is a plague among the media.

I am less optimistic about Fitzgerald resigning however. I’ve seen the looks he couldn’t quite hide after some of those passes. I believe he does truly want to be the best of all time and he knows it will take a decent QB to help him get there. Derek Anderson does not have the touch or accuracy to be that QB. How many times was he able to hit a trash can 25 yards away (with no pass rush) in Flagstaff this preseason. I know the o-line has had it’s struggles, but how many times has he been unable to hit wide open receivers with all the time in the world? I consider myself a die hard Cards fan but if the management cannot remedy this situation before the end of his contract, I will not blame Fitz one ounce for going to a better situation. There are some things in life more important than money.

29. By fightingbird on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Darren,Do think that the cards should try skelton just to see what he can do or do you think its to early for him. if the cards did try skelton what would that do to D.A. being sat down twice for a rookie trial.

30. By Rugbymuffin on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Yeah, well I would love to hear it from the man himself. What he meant. No disrepect Mr. Urban.

Still quite a thing to say about the situation which includes teammates, coaches, organization, and fans.

Whether that was the intention or not remains to be seen.

31. By susan h on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the clarity…it makes sense. Context is everything.

32. By Steve on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Darren, hopefully Fitz will have a better QB throwing to him next season so that he doesn’t even entertain the thought of leaving.

33. By Jerry on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

I understand where he is coming from. That would be like Donald trump going bankrupt.tx

34. By azcards24 on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

cardinals need to stop being cheap make an investment!!! seriously why did we settle on derek anderson and max hall anyways did their staff REALLY NOT SEE THIS COMING! we are only gonna be the team well pay to be. This is the NFL not COLLEGE OR HIGH SCHOOL talent doesn’t come cheap so get that theory of bargin shopping for players out cause it aint workin.

P.S. I can only keep my kids cardinals fans for so long, you gotta give me something to work with. but lossing fitzgerald will kiss fan base like them bye for sure!

35. By Eazy E on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

The point of the blog was he don’t like losing like any other competitor and as long as we get a mcnabb, vick, VY, etc. we’ll be ok. He needs a great qb with him to give him the ball. He’ll most likely sign if were straight at qb.

36. By TucsonTim on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Caviar: Vick, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Brady (QB rating over 100)

Garbage: A Smith, ANDERSON, Farve, Moore (QB rating 75 or less)

37. By Scott H on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Fitz is as classy as he is talented. He said some things ( in jest, of course ) regarding Todd Haley before the Chiefs game that made it clear that Fitz is keeping his head and not losing his sense of humor. In that regard, he’s clearly a better person than I am! Perhaps his early seasons with the Cardinals have helped him have necessary perspective on the current state of affairs. Been a tough year for Larry. Been a tough year for us all.

38. By QB HELP on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

get it through your heads people….fitz will NOT be back next year i repeat NOT be back without a high caliber QB just like all the people that think there is still a chance we will be any better than we are now by the end of the season.. i still hold out hope for the team but bottom line Fitz wants a championship and face it that isnt here so he WILL be gone next year and i support him and hope he gets that ring. i will cheer him on the entire way he deserves it.. what he doesnt deserve is to work as hard as he does day in and day out and then have such a crappy QB actually crappy doesnt capture how terrible this guy is. captain overthrow and get your teammates hurt is not a good player in my book im sorry im ranting but da has to go and we need someone a heck of a lot bettter regardless of fitz or not

39. By Steve on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

If this season has taught Ken Whisenhunt and Rod Graves what many saw coming in August, then -assuming there is no lock-out – next year there will be a much better chance that Fitz’s post game comments(and his future with AZ) are not so widely speculated about.

As bad as this season has been, the future of this football team isn’t nearly as bad as years past. Some of this has to do with the lack of a dominant team in the NFC West, but I seriously believe the Cards are only a competent QB away from at least contending in their division. The problem, of course, is getting a competent QB, since in today’s NFL, they are almost impossible to find in FA, and trading for one – which is often just as difficult – also means over paying an already high price in draft picks.

Sure there are many other areas that need improvement. The lack of defensive progress is particularly disappointing since it seems like even with the defensive coaching changes and new players brought in, the unit was much better 3 years ago under Clancy Pendergast.

But it is the QB position, and the unbelievably disastrous way in which Ken Whisenhunt (and Rod Graves for that matter) dealt with it since the day Warner retired, that is the main reason this team went from being very good, to basement dwellers in a bad division.
    This offseason, it will be interesting to see if both men have learned their lesson and either use Free Agency or make a trade for a veteran, while also using a 1st or 2nd round pick to address that position.
    Unfortunately, I’m still not sure they have. Probably because I’m still not sure how they went almost 7 months (actually 4 years and 7 months with Leinart), and the best they could do was Derek Anderson, Max Hall and John Skelton.
    I’ve followed this team for decades, and only the hiring of Buddy Ryan reeked of as much incompetence. But this time, the Bidwills sure aren’t the ones responsible.

40. By Bean Tower on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Jaylinn –

Wow biggest cardinals fan ever.. Yet you will turn your back on the team if Fitz is gone. Save your nonsense for your parole officer.

41. By Adam on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Do you have the numbers for the teams current payroll? Trying to formulate some numbers on what we can do for Fitz but the websites out there have different figures for the team..

42. By tyman on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

We have to be much quicker at going after top notch QB help this upcoming off-season to keep fitz happy. We passed on Mcnabb for anderson, huge mistake and other guys we passed up because some thought matt was the QB of the future. We dont need to turn somone into a great QB, we need to find a great QB. Anderson has way way to many flaws. Cant through the check down, floats rocket passes up high where the WR are getting killed trying to catch, and lack of mobility in the pocket. If a guy like Vince Young is out there in the off-season we have to go after them with everything we got. And if we arnt going to go after big names we need to start bring guys in right now. Like I keep saying bring in cfl or arena lg QB’s and give them a game to prove themself. The grey cups this weekend so take the guy that wins.

43. By tyman on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

KEEP FITZ HAPPY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

44. By brad oneill on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Not that it needs to be said but im saying it anyway. fitz was not referring to his teammates as garbage, he was referring to the feeling of losing. He was not saying kurt was cavier and derek is garbage, larry has way too much class to say anything like that.

The national media has been waiting for him to say something that could be construed as to what they are all thinking and this was just an opportunity to get a quick headline and stir up some fun.

Personally i hope Derek improves to the point where i dont hold my breath everytime he drops back and eyes a receiver for 3 seconds before tossing it over their head or behind them. I don’t know if he will improve but I hate watching Doucet, Breaston, and Fitz twist awkwardly 2 feet off the ground as the dbs lne up and tee off on their backs.

45. By SteveWesternPACardsFan on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

PLEASE START SKELTON!!! I don’t care how raw he is supposed to be. This guy was DRAFTED by the Cards. He wasn’t a free agent cast-off from the Browns. He wasn’t an undrafted rookie free agent signing. Those two got their shot, now let’s see what Skelton has. Plus it would be an excellent experience for him to get a taste of actually playing in the NFL and for the Cards to evaluate him in game conditions. And if he dosen’t win any games? So what, we aren’t going to win any games anyway with the other two QBs either. So then we can get a high first round pick to use on a QB. I doubt that DA could complete a pass to Fitz if he were playing Madden. I’m sure DA is a cool guy and all, someone you’d love to have for a next door neighbor, but man, give me a QB with awesome accuracy over arm strength any day. I feel for Fitz and his frustration. I pay the cash for NFL Sunday Ticket and have before coach Whisenhunt came to town, so I suffered then. But with some successful seasons, now this just is painful to go through. Oh, and at the end of the season, sack the Defensive Cord, Secondary Coach, Offensive Line/Asst Head Coach, and most definately hire an Offensive Cord. Sorry, I’ve been holding it in and had to vent.

46. By DirtybirD on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Before Whiz came to AZ, the Cardinals always dated the fat,ugly chick with braces. The past three seasons were started to date the hot cheerleader that everyone wanted! This season the cheerleader broke up with us. Oh the pain, oh how my heart hurts! COME ON CARDINALS, MAKE UP ALREADY!!! I don’t want to date the fat,ugly chick with braces again!!! Say no to garbage and YES TO CAVIAR!!!

47. By Darren Urban on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Adam —

RE: Payroll

I do not have anything right now, but there is also no salary cap right now.

48. By AndyStandsUp on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

With the possible parameters already set by Brandon Marshall and Andre Johnsons’ contracts, the Cards could easily offer Fitz the richest contract ever for a WR now(10 mil a year 40 mil guaranteed, which wouldn’t be far off from his 7 mil 30 secured).
    Is it because of the uncertainity of next season or posturing on both sides?

49. By TucsonTim on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

DirtybirD –

M Bidwill said yes to garbage when he cut the payroll 19 million while losing play makers and his QB. The pundits will look back a few years from now and wonder why a team who needed to invest so little to make another playoff run, chose not to.

Everyone loves to speak about our HOF QB, but I think in the near future they will speak of an elite QB who was fortunate to end his career with 2 HOF receivers, neither of which finished their careers with the Cardinals.

50. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Darren, why wont Whiz give Skelton a shot but he will start Max Hall? They are both rookies and im sure Hall wasnt any more ready then Skelton is

51. By FresnoBoy on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!

52. By tyman on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Whiz knows the difference between QB’s that can move the ball (Big Ben) and QB’s that can’t move the ball (Tommy Madox). I blame the QB situation on Graves. I know the cards have wanted anderson for years and im sure they regret it now. He dosnt have a big arm, I repeat he dosnt have a big arm. DA’s lack of arm is the reason he has to through the rocket passes. But all that said, Max hall is not any better at QB. Somone in scouting needs to go out and find a half decent QB right now. Keep fitz happy, I say.

we really need a new scheim on D. Should try to get some more LB’s and try to get a phyco pack on D like the packers do. I noticed the seahalks were stacking the left side and it totaly destroyed the pressure from that side. If we cant get pressure the DB’s are going to look really bad. I think Greg has played very good this season. The loss of berry might be the biggest on D, no one really talks about that. But all in all if the Offence could hold onto the ball things would look very good on D. How many returns for TD’s on D? we should have a much better record.

53. By AB on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

This season is done

Pick up Vince Young

Then Fitz will stay

54. By Marcos on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Jaylinn,

your a self proclaimed “biggest cardinals fan ever” and if one player leaves your gonna stop being a fan?? that makes sense. you should have said, “im the biggest Fitz fan ever” and to think that LOSING Kurt Warner is gonna make the team go 11-5? hows that work?

55. By brandon on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

dear darren would you be able to give me some tips on how to kick a nfl ball off the tee. thanks

56. By Rob on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Billy Davis Has To Go

57. By fla fla flo hi on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

No way Fitz comes back. Not after what this front office anc coach have done to him. He’s risking life and limb playing with this clown at QB. The staff did absolutely nothing for Fitz’s health or career. I will be shocked if he stays here.

58. By brett on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Jaylinn if you were that Cards biggest fan ever you wouldnt be saying anything about not being a fan just cuz fitz leaves

59. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Some team out there will make Fitz the highest paid receiver in the history of the game when his contract expires if it isn’t the Cardinals. And for that to happen, Fitz can’t extend his contract with the Cards if he desires the market determine his value. And even if the Cards offer him the biggest contract, he can still decline and go to a team that is rising and not sliding…

Anquan Boldin and the Ravens are in first place in the AFC North with a 7-3 record. Rolle and the Giants are 6-4 and in the hunt for the NFC East title. Dansby and the Dolphins are 5-5, and likely out of contention (but 5-5 sure feels better than 3-7, doesn’t it?).

Fitzgerald now sounds like one of those rare players with whom winning is more important than loosing but being filthy rich. Besides, Larry is already filthy rich for life. That’s not good for Cardinals fans.

The best hope for the Cards is that any new CBA have a franchise tag that would force Fitz to stay in Arizona, and hopefully give the club time to turn things around from a win-loss standpoint.

60. By Jeff Gollin on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

In many ways, Fitz is the face of our football team that we should all want to continue.

That said – there have been plays this year that he’s left on the field – plays that he would have made a year ago.

No doubt the nagging afteraffects of early injuries may be hampering is game, but -along with many others on this team -his overall caliber of play isn’t quite at the level it’s been during the 2 prior years.

61. By Darren Urban on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Fitz contract

Not sure there have been discussions yet.

62. By Darren Urban on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Brandon —

RE: Kicking

You have me confused with Jay Feely.

63. By Darren Urban on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Ottis —

RE: Fitz contract

His deal doesn’t allow him to be franchised.

64. By UKCardsfan on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

I just think that Fitz is voicing what we all feel.

We have all spent years where the best thing that we could hope for from a game was a spectacular individual statistical result, whilst the seasons themselves were written off in early September!

Since Whiz arrived the franchise finally looks like its turned a corner, despite the current issues. Fitz like the rest of us has seen the before and after and prefers the after !

It’s a complete non-story!

65. By Kevin on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Expectations are funny. Jaylinn hoped this team could go 11-5, something they never did even with Warner, and that’s also with losing Boldin, Dansby, Rolle. I’ve said this before, but one of the best predictors of where a team is likely to end up is the Vegas over/under on wins. This was at 7 1/2 this July (I know because I placed an over bet at the MGM and I now need the Cards to go 5-1 to win… not likely but a guy can dream). And that was before any of the Leinart stuff. So objective people looking at this team and assuming Leinart would be the QB still thought it came out to approx. a 7.5 win team. That’s 7.5 as in, sub-.500. I don’t know where they’ll end up, but people who expected this team to win 10 or 11 games were being unrealistic, even with the weak division and schedule. Also, someone else posted that the Cards aren’t going to win another game this year. That’s just piling on in the other direction with unreasonable expectations. 6 games left, 5 of which are against teams with the same record as ours (and the other is a weak 4-6 team), 4 games at home — there’s no way we don’t get at least a win or two. We’ve had some drubbings but we were also a hair away from beating TB (7-3) and almost beat MN on the road. This team ain’t going 3-13.

66. By Peter in Canada on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Tyman – There is a problem with bringing in the QB that wins the Grey Cup. In all likelihood the Montreal Alouettes will win and their QB is Anthony Calvillo. He is 38 years old and hardly represents the future. For this year however he would certainly be an upgrade on our three. He is a pocket passer, unlike your typical CFL QB who has a weak arm and happy feet.

67. By AZHead on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

HE GONE!

68. By Kevin on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Sorry, meant to say 5 games against teams with the same OR WORSE record as ours, since Carolina is 1-9. It’ll be interesting to see what our dormant offense can do against some of these defenses that have allowed almost as many points as we have.

69. By tyman on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Hey peter from canada its not just about bringing in a CFL guy its about bringing in a winner. We need somone guys can rally around and that can make big plays when needed. Id take a 38 year old QB thats proven over a young guy thats not every day. Whats kind of QB’s are in the arena lg righjt now? need to get the cards scouts to answer that one.

70. By reap37 on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

I think that Larry will stay if we can get a really good quarterback. Maybe Andrew Luck in next years draft. Whiz keeps on saying that the Cards have won before with his system and sees no reason to change things. I don’t understand this as he has a different team with no Kurt. His system works great with a Hall of Fame QB, not with this bunch. Every team with a good/great QB in the NFL wins. Bad QB’s with great players do not. Please!!

71. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the info. I knew his current contract had a no trade clause, but prohibited the franchise tag.

72. By Adam on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

This organization doesn’t take care of their players. It is only a matter of time to where they are back to the old Cardinals and stay there. The winning brand of football that came to this organization was an anomaly. It starts with the owners. They don’t want to take care of anyone or treat all of their players like family. They pick a couple of players to pay and that’s it. WHY didn’t they pay ANTREL OR CARLOS DANSBY??? They could have kept one of them.

WHY didn’t they pay Calvin Pace or Antonio Smith??? Kurt Warner had to pull teeth to get the contract he wanted and he’s a HALL OF FAMER. NOW THATS SAD!!!

It’s not in this ORGANIZATIONS blood to be loyal and keep the teams together. They don’t know how and they don’t want to either.

FITZ will not be here if they don’t bring in a very good QB. Fitz is losing a ton of money right now with the numbers he has. Do you think he will stay around because he has a house in AZ? WRONG???? These QB’s the coaches and scouting department brought in are killing his (FITZ’) money. KILLING HIS MONEY!!!

I feel sorry for you FITZ. KURT WARNER WAS A BEAST AT QB!! HE MADE THE ORGANIZATION and THE FRONT OFFICE TREATED HIM LIKE HIS CAREER THERE WAS LUCKY. THE CARDS OFFICE DOESN’T CARE ABOUT ANYONE.

73. By rayincali on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

are you kidding me.. DA a good Quarterback… he is the worst i have seen in years… if you look at the stats he is in the bottom 5 of bad quarterbacks… FITz has ever right to be mad… if Matt was still here this team would have had more wins and Fitz would have way more catches and touch downs… Derek just needs to be benched period… I mean seriously how can a pro quarter back over through a wide open receiver 2 times in one game. DA just sucks period… we need a new QB.

74. By cards62 on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Larry is a class act and I like my players to hate losing. His comment was well said and not negative about the Cardinals at all.

I also believe Larry F. to be a very bright man and he invested a lot to have his freedom and keep his options open for the future. This is no accident and he will never give up his freedom. Like many of you said Larry is not about money and he already has money and he knows wherever he goes there will be plenty of money. Larry just wishes to win, be a part of the winning, enjoy his football experience and hopefully win a superbowl or two.

I will be a fan with or without Larry, but it will be much better with Larry so I hope my front office Bidwills – Graves – Whisenhunt pull their collective heads out of their asses and improve our team next year and it all starts with QB. I think Larry will give us some time to improve our team, but he must see that we are serous abut winning, and we must sign one or two good free agent QB and if we can draft Luck or Newton or even Mallett I think we have to go for it.
    Thanks Steve

75. By Magee on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

I’m not going to say anything here that we all don’t know. Someone has to lead this offense on the field and score three or four touchdowns a game. At the same time someone needs to get the attention of the defensive players and stop four touchdowns a game. This giving up a touchdown 2 minutes after you score one is unbelievable. The Kansas City game should have been a game that could have been won. This whole team should be embarrassed and you can bet Larry isn’t the only one thinking they should be doing much better.

76. By Scott H on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Tyman –

I agree 100% that the QB situation has to be handled much more…shall we say, decisively this off-season. This past off-season was a disaster. It took much too long to make a decision on who “the guy” was going to be and in reality, it was a pretty lousy choice. But I don’t understand blaming Graves for that. That falls on Whiz as far as I’m concerned. I really don’t think graves was deciding who was starting, who was playing second string, who was getting how many snaps, etc. That’s the coaches. Anyway, it’s all water under the bridge at this point. The season is still going on, but…is it REALLY??? When you’re 3-7 and looking up in your division ( the WORST division in the league, by the way ) at the Rams and Seahawks…you’re pretty much done. In my opinion, this team ( coaches, organization, whatever, whoever ) just continues to make poor decisions with the QB position because they continue to stick with a guy who is not good enough to help you win games while they leave a young guy that they are supposedly pretty excited about on the bench ( where he just continues to remain an unknown ). It makes no sense to me. Holding out hope for this sorry season is just a joke at this point. Yeah, we could win the division with an 8-8 record ( IF we could even win that many games! ), go into the playoffs as a total joke, and get toasted by half-time in the first round. Sound appealing? Not to me. No, thanks. Let the Seahawks have that “honor.” I’m already looking toward next season. And right now, we have no idea who our QB is. It ain’t gonna be Anderson! And if we haven’t learned SOMETHING about Skelton before training camp next summer, then where are we??? Right back in the same place we were this summer – mired in un-certainty and indecision. The only way to avoid that THEN is to start taking action NOW!!! Does anyone else agree with this?

77. By tyman on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

Scott H,

I know you think Matt was the man in the off season and that we need to develope one of these guys on the bench right now, but what we really need to do is get some good scouts out there to find a starting QB right now. Not a guy thats two or three years away. Like dick vermil says QB is the hardest position to evaluate. You need to through guys into the fire and see if they burn is what I say. If we go for a first round QB next year it could just burn up in our face and fitz is in his prime he needs somone to get him the ball now.Go out and get Garcia, he might have somthing left in the tank. Stay away from russel, JP losman and the garbage pick up some caviar. We all want some caviar cause we know the taste of garbage. Its gross.

78. By Scott H on Nov 27, 2010 | Reply

Tyman-

Um, no, I did not necessarily think that Leinart was “the man” during the offseason! Between he and Anderson, I would like to have seen Leinart get the chance. But I wouldn’t have told you then or now that he was “the guy.” As the pre-season unfolded, it just looked more like a lousy choice than anything else. I haven’t even mentioned Leinart’s name in a post in months, to tell ya the truth. That’s over. So, my thoughts are on to next year. Like many others, I think either of the top two QB’s in Philly right now would be great for the Cardinals next year. Hard not to love Vick with the way he’s played but I think Kolb has a lot to offer as well. Hard to imagine that they’ll both be back in Philly next year. They’re both going to want to be starters and rightly so. One is a veteran in his prime, the other is loaded with potential and has had enough game experience to show that he is the real deal. I say get whichever one of them ain’t staying in Philly. May be easier said than done, but one of these guys is gonna be available. If you’re the Cardinals and you want to get back on track, then make it happen.

BTW, I’ll pass on Garcia. His days are over. If he had anything left at this point, don’t think he’d have a job somewhere in the NFL right now???

2. Jul 12, 2011: Word From the Birds BlogThis metric calls Fitz the best «