Talkin’ practice on Thanksgiving eve

Posted by Darren Urban on November 24, 2010 – 2:30 pm

Derek Anderson was doing his weekly press conference with the media after practice Wednesday when, at one point, he was asked about scoring on the opening drive for a second straight week and then basically stalling the rest of the game.

Anderson couldn’t have been more accurate.

– Practice ended a little early Wednesday since the Cards will have an extra practice this week because of “Monday Night Football.” They will also have a shorter workout tomorrow and be freed after practice (instead of having meetings) so they can have Thanksgiving with their families.

– Because the game isn’t until Monday, coach Ken Whisenhunt didn’t have to release an injury report today. We will have that come out tomorrow (and I will blog about the updates as soon as it comes out, around noon).

– Don’t ask Larry Fitzgerald to get involved in the Twitter back-and-forth with the 49ers, although he’ll get in his verbal jabs during the game. “We talk a lot of trash out there,” Fitzgerald said. “I don’t do the Twitter wars. That’s not my thing. … It’s better (on the field). No one else has to know about it. You can say what you want and you don’t have to filter it either.”

What? Fitz would use words that – gasp – have to be filtered in public?

“If someone says something to me, sometimes emotion gets the best of you,” Fitzgerald said with a smile.

– Injuries to cornerbacks Greg Toler (foot) and Michael Adams (undisclosed, but he was banged up Sunday) were a reason the Cards brought cornerback Marshay Green to the active roster, but it was also a reward for working so hard all season. Green, who has spent the season playing both ways on the scout team (Green was a receiver in college for two years before flipping to the other side of the ball), admitted it’s been a “long year” waiting. But he doesn’t want to give up double duty, if Whisenhunt is OK with that.

“I like to play offense and defense,” Green said. “If coach Whisenhunt wants me to go out on offense, I’ll be the first one to say, ‘OK, cool.’ Whatever they want.”

– It doesn’t hurt Green that he has a teammate like Adams, who like Green carved out his place by first doing the job on the practice squad. “Michael kind of set the table for Marshay,” Whisenhunt said.

– Green does have return skills, but Whisenhunt reiterated that he is “very pleased” with Andre Roberts as a punt returner, so that isn’t changing.

Tags: , , , , ,

27 Responses to “Talkin’ practice on Thanksgiving eve”

1. By ross on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

The revelation that the titans OC is very sick and undergoing chemo made me realize how none of this is that important. This is a game. Enjoy it, even if its bad. One day we won’t be able to watch another.

Very thankful I am a cards fan. Win, lose, or draw.

Happy thanskgiving all.

2. By JoeVero on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

It’s sad really, I was actually excited when you said Anderson was sick. I thought you meant he is physically ill, rather than sick of the current situation.

Do you think Lenon or Hayes will ever be benched in favor of Daryl Washington this year?

3. By Tyrelle on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Derek is stupid. Can we see Hall?

4. By Darren Urban on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

JoeVero —

RE: LBs

Possible, but not at this point.

5. By Frustrated on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Have a NICE Thanksgiving, Darren. Hope that it is really a good one for you and your family.

6. By zona25 on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

I think in practice they should work with skelton this week. I would really like to see him get some time in. we’ve seen hall and anderson(who are clearly not playing the best) so i say use our last option sometime this season. who knows we might get that spark that we really need to turn the cards around.

7. By michael on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Cards should get andrew luck!

8. By michael on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Hey darren, how about the cards give skelton some reps?

9. By david on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

please please put skelton in… max and derek just are failing.. its worth a shot… plus in preseason skelton was the one to make that 16-0 comeback a 16-19 win…

10. By Eric on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Ross, I couldn’t have said it better myself.

11. By MattAz on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

>> It could have been many different topics to generate the response the quarterback gave. “It’s the same things we have been doing, hurting ourselves,” Anderson said. “Honestly, I’m sick of talking about it just as much as you guys are sick of talking about it.”

>> Anderson couldn’t have been more accurate.

Wait, I don’t get it. I think this one just sailed over my head…

12. By Conner on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Changes are not what the Cardinals need to do. Change dosen’t make a team better, it tears them apart. Cardinals have to let the players get used to a position, get better, and develop chemistry with the other players. If we keep shoving a different quaterback out there, how will they learn? Stay with the team right now and let them improve. Teams that are succsesful are the teams that stay with one team the entire season, not a constant change of players. Just let THIS Cardinals team keep practicing and learning, because that is how a team improves.

13. By georgiebird on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Have a nice Thanksgiving- this has been a tough year for all from coaches to fans. You have given us a chance to vent and probably prevented a few heart attacks by being there for us. Thanks, again.

The thought of Marshay playing on both sides of the ball brings back memories of another Green “Roy” who started as a DB and went on to be a great WR and kick returner (106 yds)
    When Roy played with Lomax, the Cards were a so-so team. They also played in the NFC East against the best teams in football. Flying to play all those NFC East games was the worst situation in all of football. Also, with Stadium sharing in St Lou, the Cards had some of the worst conditions to deal with (that’s why I laugh now when people say how easy the Cards have it these last 8 years in the West- how about the other 42.years?.
    With all the accolades Fitz has received especially over the past few years and now very little as the team suffers, you can see how Roy didn’t receive the credit he deserved. Believe me when I tell you- at his best Roy Green was as good as Jerry Rice all things being equal. During Roy’s great years- I believe ’84 & ’85- Bill Parcells called Roy the best offensive player in the NFC. (Rice began his career a few years later)

14. By ben on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

hey darren could you ask fitz what he thinks of some of the QB’s coming out next season, anyone in particular that he’d like to chase passes from

15. By AndyStandsUp on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

I can’t believe your’ talkin’ about practice, Urban. It’s practice, man. Practice?
    A few things I’m thankful for before I overendulge in tryptophan(turkey) and pass out on my mom’s LazyBoy tomorrow(again):
    The hands of Fitz.The heart of Breaston.The perserverence of Adams.The playmaking of Rhodes.The accountability of Wilson.The courage of Iwebema.The talent of Stephens-Howling.The resurgence of Branch.The passion of Hightower. The preseason of Stephen Williams, Max Komar and Max Hall. The tweets from Dockett(except dealing with showers). The weak divsion and all the Card fans who go to the games so that far away fans like myself can see them.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! (Yes, you also Casey.)

16. By Khardz on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

Conner is right and you all know that. At least give them this game, if they’re gonna show any spark or WOW us, wouldn’t it be this game on Monday night?, You may think they don’t deserve to but from what I heard they’ve been working their asses off at practice more than ever.

17. By Lone-Eagle on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

M.N.F. is either the beginning or the end of the season for the Cards. Darren, there has been something I have been wanting to get off my chest. It’s the whole Warner retirement. After the Super Bowl, the Cards wanted to sign him to a new 1 year extension, if I am correct, but Kurt was demanding 2, even as far as going to San Francisco to see what they had to offer. Warner gets what he wants with the 2 years, and then Boom after one year decides to retire!! I know this is old news, but it is still driving me crazy. Pardon me, but you don’t ask for, much less demand something and then just decide it’s just not for me. Warner should have taken the summer off and fulfilled the final year of his contract.

18. By Daniel on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren

Do you think it´s possible for Cards to sign vince young or Donovan Mcnabb,

Because our Qbs is very Questable in this situation. and Darren do you think our CB will improve or?

19. By Chuck 1 on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

Although I rarely have an opportunity to watch the Cards on TV in So. CA, (we get the Bolts, ‘Boys, Vikes and ELITE teams e.g. Steelers, Patriots and Colts) I will only watch the MNF game with the ‘9rs to confirm what the season results have shown.
    * Poor QB play
    * Poor OC play calling
    * Poor defensive play
    * Poor defensive scheme
    I would like to watch the game to see the Cards play a good game, but I would be surprised if that happened.

20. By Scott H on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren –
    Just a quick break from everything to wish you and those around you a Happy and safe Thanksgiving! Though all of my posts may not reflect it, I am thankful for all the work you do there.

21. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

Who do any of you fans want to see Hall play? he is worse then Anderson, at leased with DA we move the Chains

22. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

Hall didnt win us that game against NO, our defense did

23. By Darren Urban on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

Daniel —

RE: QBs/CB

Doubt on the first. Hopefully on the second.

24. By Matt on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

Chuck, please learn more about the Cardinals before masterfully critiquing them. Whisenhunt calls the plays. So blaming the OC for being a reason they are losing is completely absurd. Second, defensive schemes are fine, there are holes in talent. So we call a blitz, and no one can get to the QB, is that the DC’s fault for calling a blitz or the players for not being good enough to get to the QB? The only thing you could be right about is lackluster QB play, but you could ask anyone who hasn’t seem a game before if Derek Anderson or Max Hall are competent quarterbacks, both of which are not. Perhaps watch the games, experience the letdown as DA throws a interception on the 5 yard line, or Timmy or Beanie fumble, or Doucet, Breaston, Fitz, and the rookie WRs get left out to dry and end up hurt. This has been a tough year but inaccurate criticism doesn’t help.

25. By Justin on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

It is readily apparent that our qb situation isn’t going to get any better. Assuming we get a top 10 draft pick, do we make a play for the number 1 pick and Andrew Luck? Also, whatever we do in the draft next year, we will still need a capable veteran to either guide a rookie or Skelton for the future. That being said, who do you see us making a play for in the off-season? I certainly cannot take another year with DA at the helm of this ship.

26. By Daniel on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

Yeah it’s actually a big problem our CB´s isn’t aware in the game. DRC is such a good player but he hasn’t shown in this season, do you think the would sign a new cb or?. what will cardinals do and what have you predicted, who they would sign or release?

27. By Darren Urban on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

Justin —

RE: QB

I have no doubt there will be moves at the position this offseason. Until we know who is available and where the Cards draft, it’s difficult to know exactly what direction that will take.