• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

How the players react

Posted by Darren Urban on November 26, 2010 – 9:18 am

Late Wednesday night, I received this Tweet from “Gloryaz”: “@Cardschatter how come when I watch cards hq on fsn, the players seem happy someone is interviewing them insted of mad they are sucking?!?!”

For those who are not familiar, “Cards HQ” is our broadcast department’s half-hour show that comes out Wednesdays. It is basically 30 minutes of sound bites, allowing the players’ and coaches’ own words to describe the most recent game and then look ahead to the upcoming game. The interviews are from post-game Sunday, Monday and then Wednesday.

And that’s how things change.

Obviously, after a loss, no one is bursting with glee. And the Monday bites are usually pretty low-key too, after a loss. But by the time we get to Wednesday, the players have moved on. That’s the point I am trying to make. I would guess whatever “Gloryaz” didn’t like came from a Wednesday interview. Sure, I understand why fans want players to be miserable during the losing streak. But in the NFL, most teams — including the Cards — have a “24-hour rule.” Spend 24 hours mulling the game just completed, win or lose, and then move on.

By Wednesday, the players’ heads better be on the next game, not the previous loss. No one is going to forget about the current losing streak, but wallowing in it makes no sense, either from a football perspective nor a mental well-being perspective.

Tags: ,

42 Responses to “How the players react”

1. By MikeG on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren–Hope Thanksgiving was good!–Big game Monday!–It always is. Having 3 straight games at home gives the Card’s a final push to get something going. I heard an interview with Beanie–and he says he is feeling the best he has all year and says he wants the ball. That is a good sign. I am waiting for Beanie to have that breakout game this year–I know injuries have held him back. I hope coach Whiz puts some plays in for Beanie this week! What are the chances you see Beanie having a 20 carry game this week– let alone this year????

2. By Darren Urban on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

MikeG –

RE: Beanie

Will the Cards have the lead?

3. By MikeG on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren—I hear you!-This is definitely the biggest game of the year. We have to find some way to win it. It’s hard to beleve we are only 2 games back and still in this race. A win gets us back in it–what we need right now is some confidence. Our defense has to come up big with Gore and limit the big plays because the Niners are struggling on offense as well. It was a good sign that Adrian had a pretty good game last week–he was playing along the line of scrimmage more– and I hope he does the same this week to help stop Gore. Do you see Toler and Campbell playing this week?? At this point we need everyone!!!

4. By ross on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

Tim is better.

5. By LUKE on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

i have always stood by hightower.i like beanie but he needs to stop complaining to the media about his feelings and coaching decisions.tim has done better performance wise and attitude wise.Beanie imo should be benched for awhile.this is the second time he has acted in a bad way.

6. By Dre on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

No follow through is how I see it. They got the losing down and the sad face is great after the game but come the next week there’s no action to back up their words. Its how a team response to a lost in this case 5 in a row and that is the key. I don’t care what level you are on players don’t forget losses and for them not to be able to turn it around indictates they are badly broken. At some point your pride has to take over and get a win.

The stage is set and it is the time for no more talking.

If I hear “we need to fix somethings and keep working to get better” I am going slap somebody for no reason.

7. By Steve on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren: If the Cards become mathematically eliminated at some point this season do you see Skelton getting a start? Steve

8. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

Urban that was great video of Anthony Edwards! When i used to live in Casa Grande back in the 2nd-4th grade I was best friends with his son Torry, we did nothing but play football at lunch and hangout with his dad after! I remember goin to his house and hangin out all the time, he looks so different from when I last seen him back at one of his mini football camps, same with his other son Antonio Antonio!

9. By Gary Stevenson on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

The fact is that losing is ok for the cardinals organization. The owners need to take a page out of the cowboys and viking book! If you loose your out on your butt. mid-season or not! Loosing is not accepted here! Until this comes down from the top ” the owner and echoes through the coaches down to the players. the laughing and horseplay will continue. I also fault the owners for letting a leader and caption like Karlos Dansby go. Spend the money and keep leaders that will lead your team to wins. Spend the money and go get a real QB! why would you go after DA when he could not score any points with the browns for 6 games in a row! The cardinals owners are losers themselves so loosing is OK in Phoenix! Until the ownership changes or they change there approach and be more like Jerry Jones and cut the losers and the coaches that loose off of your team then the Cards will loose and act like its OK to lose! Losers!

10. By Darren Urban on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

Steve –

RE: Skelton

A start? That’s hard to say.

11. By Darren Urban on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

Gary –

RE: Losing

“laughing and horseplay”? Explain.

12. By Gary Stevenson on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren, Thats all you can come back with? I know you work for the cardinals and Can not agree with me even if you wanted to! I am right! The owners will NEVER spend the money and let leaders leave, Q-81,Dansby, for example> Simple They knew they were going to loose Warner, A leader and Captain. So why loose the QB of the Defense too. A leader and a Captain in Dansby. They let roole go too. They keep A_DUB and he flat out can not play as a cover 2 safety. he is to big and his hips are too slow. In all the games Brett Favre has ever play, You let him do the most he has ever don on you? either trade A-dub or get him off the Growth Hormones and let him play Safety, or If he continues to Stay on Growth and lifts weights make him play LB! either way the secondary is the horrid! to address your question ok happiness!! either way would never fault the players, You must fault the owners and coaches! for personal choices!

13. By Gary Stevenson on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren- this is off your post today “and ‘Bama alum Rashad Johnson was making a lot of noise as Alabama jumped out to a 14-0 at the time. The Cards don’t have any Auburn guys, so there was no one in particular to trash talk.”
    If i were the owner i would not have a TV to watch and talk trash in my locker room” winners get TV, losers do not! or i-pods or radios. or smart phones! nothing. They get jump ropes, and cones, and running shoes to go outside and do sprints! This is what winners do! They do what it takes to win, they do extra! They do not sit around and watch TV!! they outwork everyone until it translates to winning! Again I don’t blame the players when these things need to be set in place by the owners and echoed down by the coaches! “Adversity does not build character, it reveals it!”

14. By Darren Urban on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

Gary –

RE: “Your” locker room

So unless you win every game, you’re basically in the military if you were running the team.

The “sitting around and watching TV?” It was for about 15 minutes during the players’ allotted lunch time before lifting weights. But I suppose eating lunch would be banned for anyone on a losing streak. Bread and water only.

Doesn’t work that way. Anywhere. Not with the Patriots, or Colts, or whomever. You rip Adrian, for instance. There is no one more serious, nor who works harder, nor takes the losses more personally, than Adrian Wilson. Sometimes, that’s not the problem.

15. By ross on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

Hightower and Beanie should get the ball until we are down by 21. Best chance to win.

16. By Dre on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren

What do you think about the Wells interview…

“If I got [carries] on a consistent basis then the sky is the limit,” Wells said. “I can be one of the elite backs in this league. I just want the football and I’m sure Tim [Hightower] does too. We want to run it collectively as a football team.”

Listen live

Glad I’m not the only one who feels this way.

17. By Gary stevenson on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

We no a-dub works hard! This does not make him a great safety! I will tell you this if they are still lifting weights this late in the season than you need to fire john Lott too. They should be doing iso-holds and plyos. And sprints. Things that make them a more explosive athlete! They could eat. But no tv! They should have drafted Tebow when they had the chance! He is a winner and a leader! They also need to go after cowher or john grudan as the head coach! I have always said the cards do the most with the least talent. Wiz got them to the superbowl with a sub par win loss record. That’s the past! That bought him 2 extra years! Now it’s time to move on!! With the coach and some players! Why go get old used up Joey porter. You had karlos dansby! Poor management choices! Please tell me 2 things that the owners have done that are above and beyond this season that shows me as a fan that winning is everything! Show me how they are going the extra mile! Show me a winner! all I see from the owners is a good example of how losing is “ok” damn it!! It is not. Just go ask wade Phillips!!

18. By Darren Urban on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

Dre –

RE: Beanie

I think every running back is going to think the same way. Just like wide receivers want to throw the ball more.

19. By Darren Urban on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

Gary –

RE: The plan

Got it.
    1) No weightlifting
    2) re-sign everyone
    3) Fire Lott
    4) Fire Whiz for Gruden or Cowher
    5) Trade for Tebow

20. By Gary stevenson on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

You still have to answer my questions! True cardinals fans want to know! I am not one of these local tv stations or newspapers that throw you softball questions! I will ask the “real ones” If this was going on in Philly it would be a blood bath in the news!! This team has it easy with the Phoenix kiddy media! So please go ahead and answer the 2 things that the owners have done this season that forecast a winning environment? Now to address you bs response!
    Got it.
    1) No weightlifting (only in the offseason)
    2) re-sign everyone (I said leader and captan. Dansby, if they could have resigned Warner they would have. So why not resign the Qb of the D. When they had the chance, because the bidwells are either that stupid or losers like I say they are!)
    3) Fire Lott (hire my trainers jay schroder&charles maka. “karlos dansby,Duce, and tim Hightower did”

4) Fire Whiz for Gruden or Cowher (in a second, they both won super bowls)
    5) Trade for Tebow (could have drafted him, but trade for him in a second. Give Denver every Qb on the roster for him)

This would be one he’ll of a start to winning not just saying you want to win!

21. By Darren Urban on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

Gary –

RE: Questions

First of all, I am someone who asks questions. I don’t have to answer anything. I do the best I can to be a conduit for the fans.

Obviously you have all the answers, so I don’t understand why you are bothering with asking questions. Someone who believes the Cards/Bidwills/Graves/Whisenhunt want to lose and are making decisions as such is not going to listen to anything else anyway.

22. By Chuck 1 on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

Re: Your answer to Gary;
    So, if “Sometimes, that’s not the problem.”, WHAT IS THE PROBLEM???

23. By Gary stevenson on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

You mean you can’t answer the questions in fear of your job! So march your butt into thier offices and ask them for me. Ask them to give you Rhe 2 examples that I ask for. So if you want to ask questions ask them!!

Did you believe in matt leinhart too? So did you stop believing the second they cut him? They should have traded for him a year or two earlier and got something in return. But no just pay all that money and have to let him go for free. Another loser move!

In closing the answers I have are that of a winner and a good business man.

24. By fortun8s on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

Being a Cardinal Fan since their arrival in St Louis, I have seen this scenario repeate it’s self several times through out the years.
    Cardinal fans are extremely fortunate to still have Whizz & Grimm after having their legs cut off by the front office lettingy coaching and player talent slip through their fingers.
    Think, of what a really wonderful team the Cardinals would have been this year (talent wise) had they salvaged just half of their key players. Alas, wouldhave, should have, could have.
    With all the coaching openings popping up around the league this year, look for the cardinals to be trying to find replacements for Whizz and Grimm and much of the player talent that will move to greener pastures.
    Unfortunately, the stadium ability to sell tickets has diminished substantially and I am afraid, this snowball is going to get much bigger !!

25. By cody on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

Gary:
    you do realize that Dansby and Rolle both signed record breaking contracts right? they are the highest paid FS and LB of ALL TIME??? do you really think theyre worth that? and anyways, we offered them similar contracts to the ones they signed, and they STILL signed to different teams. are you saying we should have given them both more than their record breaking contracts? also, Adrian Wilson has been one of the top safeties in the league for the last decade, so questioning his ability to play is stuid on your part. who should we have gotten at QB too? we needed a QB, and DA was the best available. you cannot treat your players like theyre in a prison just because theyre losing. on their breaks they can watch a little TV and hang out. have you ever played football? everybody lifts weights in the offseason. their muscle mass is part of their burst. if they just ran we would have a bunch of undersized track stars, not football players. i understand being upset, but there is no need to take such drastic measures after one bad season. there is a reason why Whisenhunt is coach and you are not: he knows what hes dong, and you dont.

26. By ross on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

Gary, please go spend some time with your family. Seriously.

27. By TBru on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

Gary Stevenson, please take a remedial English class, thank you.

28. By Rob on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

BILLY DAVIS NEEDS TO BE GONE

29. By darrel on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

Lmfao darren

30. By darrel on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren u should ban Gary from your blog

31. By Dre on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

Cody–

Give me a break with the brown nosing. I agree on the player issues but coach Whisenhunt had our players on segways in training camp…talk about soft. Whisenhunt is soft and the team is a direct reflection of his style, soft. Going with the pass instead of running the ball, soft.

I mean Larry has this coach afraid to change the game plan and the proof is with DA all day long. How do you try and keep thing the same with a mere 50% passer, really that is all that needs to be said. He’s trying to justify it by saying we have had success in the passed tithis way…yeah, but the QB made the difference and not to make a change is idiotic. He’s soft as I don’t know what. How can you let the player affect your game plan…LIKE I SAID SOFT?

Oh I agree with Gary this organzation has history of being losers. We’ll see what happens, should be fun.

32. By AndyStandsUp on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

Gary, I’m sure there is a “short bus” waiting to take you in which ever direction you’re willing to go.
    Darren,you’ve got to agree that losing breeds losing(and Whiz talked about confidence) and it takes EVERY player the gumption to pull a victory out.
    And very few seem interested right now.

33. By Gary stevenson on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

Cody. So what someone is paying them “because they are winners” so why not the cardinals? Because the cardinals are losers in the front office and snuff out any “winners they have” and Ross I still play football. Please go back and read what I said. I said they should not be lifting weights right now!! Not in the offseason! Why the he’ll would you try to bulk up now! To late for that! I also did not just say run! I said iso-holds and plyos! I trained with karlos dansby for 3 years! We did zero weight lifting at our gym! And like u said he is the highest paid LB in history! There is your proof on why to fire john Lott!

Ross- please add something about the subject or just go away.

Tbru- I am typing on a iPhone! They are typos! And again to you pinhead! Please add something to the conversation or just go away too!

By the way was out today on black Friday. Then went to watch the class 4 hs playoff game at pc ( Congrats to Williamsfield high) all day I saw zero cardinals gear! None! Any other NFL town you can’t go 5 min without seeing some type of team garb! Again another reason the owners suck! They can’t sell team gear in a NFL town!

34. By ross on Nov 27, 2010 | Reply

Gary, thanks for the laugh. Why don’t you apply for the gm job?

35. By Jones from IL on Nov 27, 2010 | Reply

I think Beanie is such a pleasant person, and wonder if he has that mean streak in him to run the ball effectively. I do like that straight arm he uses though

36. By cody on Nov 27, 2010 | Reply

Dre, who exactly am i brown nosing? i doubt Whisenhunt even reads these comments, so i cant be sucking up to him. and thats funny, i went to training camp and did not see them on segways, and even if they were i dont think wearing out players in training camp helps out the team at all (see 49ers). and also, our players hike up Camelback mountain during the offseason regularly, so thats not exactly soft. and our best running back has been out for most of the year, and our other running back coughs up the ball way too much, so how exactly would it be a good idea to go run first? we also play from behind a lot, so thats another reason were forced to pass. and Gary, my point is we offered them similar contracts, and they still didnt accept it, so are you saying we should offer them more then their already record breaking contracts? and its simple, you have to lift at least some weights to STAY bulked up, otherwise you lose your bulk, which will not bode well for our players. and nobody is impressed by your little name dropping game, during the season players spend almost all of their training time at the Cardinals facility, so i doubt you trained with Dansby during the season. and John Lott should be fired because somebody overpaid for Karlos Dansby? and how is it the owners fault that you didnt see any Cardinals gear? should they hypnotize us and make us buy their teams merchandise?

37. By jahstone on Nov 27, 2010 | Reply

Wisenhunt was the first AZ Cards coach to get an extension…we have had a mediocre season due to injuries, inconsistencies, and mistakes. Look at the Broncos and Dolphins…hard to replace a hall of fame QB. Lets sty focused and take it one week at a time…whoop the niners please!!!!!

38. By Gary stevenson on Nov 27, 2010 | Reply

Cody: no you win people buy your gear and not just for one or two seasons! The cardinals need to be a powerhouse year after year and they will not untill we have new owners! I would like to address the hiking up camelback! Chics hike up camelback too. This is training in a non explosive way. Please watch the game and tell me when you see a play that is not full speed and explosive! This is how you have to train! No
    walking up a hill! Tim Hightower trains at our gym too. And when we go outside to do work we
    do it at full speed! And we don’t lift weights!

Point is again! Owners are ok with losing therefore in my mind are losers
    Wiz is a great players coach. we fell bad about him getting fired but if you can’t win you can’t stay.
    Players. Develop the players you have. resign your captains and leaders and any cost! Cuz if you don’t spend your money on the leaders other teams will (Ny:rolle and Miami for dansby) and go get a Qb who is a winner and a leader ( they went and got Warner, go do it again) and don’t let talent like Tebow go by you in the draft for a looser like DA! If he was a winner the browns would have kept him! You can stick up for the whole team from the owners to the damn punter! But all you are doing is saying that I live in Phx and its ok to loose! Man if this was Ny or Philly heads would roll.Every last on of them! I hate the owners and I hate fans like you with no passion for winning and an acceptance for a losing team!

39. By Gary stevenson on Nov 28, 2010 | Reply

Darren why would you remove the link to the website I posted. This would give the fans an idea of why Lott should not have players lift weights during the season!

40. By Darren Urban on Nov 28, 2010 | Reply

Gary –

RE: Link

If you want to pub your gym, feel free to buy an ad. A link to a site, however, doesn’t explain what you need explained.

By the way, the “Lott system” has been followed by this team since 2007. So it was good enough for the playoff teams and now it suddenly is wrong?

41. By cody on Nov 28, 2010 | Reply

Gary, do you have any idea what your talking about? Tebow was drafted 15th overrall, and we had the 26th pick, we didnt let him go by, and we didnt draft DA, so we didnt choose DA over Tebow. John Lott is one of the most respected strength and conditioning coaches in the league, everybody lifts weights during the season, its how they STAY bulked up, if you running around and doing no weight lifting, you will lose weight and power, you have to keep lifting weights to stay your size. you obvously have never played football any more, otherwise you would know this. and also, what dont you get about us offering basically the same contracts as NY and Miami did for Rolle and Dansby? Philedelphia has never won a Superbowl, so how are they any more of winners then we are? im very passionate about this team, im pissed off that were losing, but weve had 1 bad season under Whisenhunt after 3 good ones after our HOF QB retired, so i think we should give Whisenhunt some more time before clearing house. he is kind of the best coach the Cardinals have ever had, so letting him go and hoping that Gruden and Cowher for some reason decide they want to come to Arizona isnt a good idea.

2. Nov 26, 2010: Tweets that mention Word From the Birds Blog -- Topsy.com