• Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 5:00PM - 5:15PM MST 2014 NFL schedule released The 2014 NFL schedule is released. Check out all the details on azcardinals.com.
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Whiz keeps his cool

Posted by Darren Urban on December 1, 2010 – 10:30 pm

With all the talk about Derek Anderson and his emotions, coach Ken Whisenhunt was asked about his emotions – or, more specifically, his lack of it. At least publicly.

“I think maybe it’s a little bit the way I am personality-wise,” Whisenhunt said. “I think it’s important that you try to stay even and that you don’t lose your temper. Trust me, I get upset. Our players have seen that from me.”

When it was suggested that some fans sometimes might want to see him lose his temper/show some emotion (and I have heard from some of them), Whisenhunt said he hadn’t heard such things.

“I haven’t heard any complaints but not that it really matters,” Whisenhunt said. “I’m trying to do what I think is right, handle it the way I feel is the best way to handle it. I’ve learned from some outstanding football coaches. I think it has shown from some of the success that we’ve had. We’re not having that success right now but that doesn’t mean that we’re not going to as we go forward.”

Tags: ,

55 Responses to “Whiz keeps his cool”

1. By Rod Lenniger on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Obviously don’t know the man personally so can only go by observation of his public persona and the prodcut he puts on the field. Whatever he is doing, it isn’t working. The product is terrible by any benchmark. Maybe he ought to get in some guys grills to get their attention because they aren’t putting out for him. It is embarassing for Arizona and he deadpans like he doesn’t sense there is any real problem that continuing to work like they do in the system won’t fix? What??????

2. By Phoenixraven1 on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

All the faith in you Wiz! Just please please please fire bill Davis and bring someone in that can utilize some of our talent!

3. By nmcard on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

C’mon!!! Whizzy your better than that , whats holding you up? big guy !!, make a move I don’t want to see you go I think your a badass , BE YOURSELF AGAIN , I started paying again when you got here , I was a season ticket holder , than we got some bad news coaches so I moved on, , my cars , trucks , work hardhats have a cardinals on them , think of the stuff I take, worst than your your QB ever thought of taking from a dumb ass reporter , not you DU , YOU ARE BADASS , I’m out of state and still a season ticket holder , 4 seats , make a move think out of the box , you played that way , why not coach like that , you started in AZ that way, why stop , don’t let Haley take credit for what you did here , reporters are already starting that , C’ MON BIG GUY a little change does a team good , momma always said or was it daddy!!!!

4. By justice on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Common Man! you can’t expect HC to lose his cool. Never admit your mistakes. This is a business. If you admit mistake you will be gone. Coach Whiz is too smart for us….

5. By Storm on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

I could not enjoy Wiz’s quote, “We’re not having that success right now but that doesn’t mean that we’re not going to as we go forward.” Even though I have questioned his calls, I believe he can still get the team out of this slump.

GO CARDS!!!

6. By Storm on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Sorry I meant to say I couldn’t enjoy it more then anything else he has said because it means he has faith in himself to pull the cards out of this slump.

GO CARDS!!!

7. By Lone-Eagle on Dec 1, 2010 | Reply

Well Coach,

I have a few things to say, You sure didn’t learn anything from Coach Cowher, because even though I am not a Steelers fan, I have wattched Cowher many a game, and that man showed passion, allow me to repeat that PASSION!! Mike Tomlin shows passion, maybe they did pick the right coach for the Steelers. I don’t know, just a thought. I see how Tomlin is on the sidelines, and I see how the entire team responds. I only bring the Steelers up because I constantly hear about the Cardinals being the new west coast Steelers. I am pretty sure that if the Rooneys were running the Cards right now, DA would not be the QB, Coach Whiz would be joining Phillips and Childress in the unemployment line, and we probably wouldn’t have gotten to a 6 game losing streak. Whiz can talk all about his system working, that is all fine and dandy, but the parts obviously aren’t working to run the system. As for DA’s temper tantrum on national TV, completely unacceptable for the supposed les=ader of the team, and of course everyone on the team is going to back him up, that is the politically correct thing to do. Why do we think Q is no longer apart of the team, because he was his own person, and he spoke out about his situation regarding his contract. I am pretty sure every fan feels the same way I do, if I were to come into a substantial amount of money, around 300,000,000 dollars, I would find away to but the team and make the necessary changes to get this team out of the gutter, starting with a coach, whom to me seems spineless. If I am an owner, I want someone to show Heart, passion, a liitle testicular fortitude, and occasionally get an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for standing up for his players. I am not saying go off like Denny Green, but for crying out loud, if you think the refs made a bad call, say something. So what if they fine you, at least your players know you have their back!! Have a nice night.

8. By Lone-Eagle on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

One more thing, if I was the owner of this team, I would do everything in my power to bring in either Jon Grden or Bill Cowher! Two no-nonsense coaches. I would find away to convince Warner to run my offense or QB coach. I would attempt to bring in Dick LeBeau to run the Defense, whether that worked or not, who knows, but it would be fun trying, and I would give my young draft picks a chance, but hey it’s a pipedream and I will never be the owner!

9. By dan on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Have some success without Warner…………good luck.

10. By OLDude on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Every coach has a style that is partially a result of his personality and previous coaching experience and the method he or she thinks will be most effective in dealing with players and adversity. Whiz has this low key style and he was that way when the Cards were a winning team too. It is a mistake to assume that his lack of emotion in the public eye means he lacks”something’ that will keep him from winning. I wish he would be a little more forthcoming and blunt sometimes when he interviews but I understand his desire to keep controversy and difficulties “in-house”. I wish him a lot of good luck and success.He is a good ambassador for the Arizona Cardinals and the NFL.

11. By Marcos Tucson on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Ok,

all those fans who want to see some emotion and see some blow up from Whiz like DA did are dumb. Whiz is handling this the best way. look at DA’s situation, he snapped and look at all the negative attention he’s getting for it. Whiz is acting like a leader. i am behind him and the decision he makes. he’ll bring this team around maybe with personnel changes or scheme changes maybe neither, I think this staff will figure this problem out. the Cardinals have been too bad for too long to just snap out of it in 2 or 3 seasons. I am from Tucson and bought season tix for the first time this year. Though I am disappointed in the team I do not regret buying the tix and im 100% definitely gonna buy some next year too.

GO CARDS!!!!

12. By Michael Majcher on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Coach I’d like to see you guys get rid of the extra curricular activites such as your show and the players doin the big red rage. I know it might feel right but seeing what its done to the dbacks and other teams, I think it should just be avoided by the sport. Lets just stick to football and overcoming this years set backs.

13. By Darthcard on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

I’m absolutely fine with the way whiz handles himself. What I hope though is the assistant coaches get on these players case. I’m sure they do it’s just we fans are seeing a very passive attitude from the players and their play.

14. By carlo7000 on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

darren
    ken is a great coach and good person.a lot of people here forgot what he has done for the organization in these years,ok he made some mistakes this season but everybody does..i think he learn from it and will be a better coach next season..the only thing i dont like of him he just give to much consideration to old players(porter.faneca,hayes,wilson,robinson,lenon)

15. By Todd Went on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

he knows , i know , what does it matter , seasons done hopefully loose enough games to get ryan mallett

16. By pat farber on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Whiz, if the fans were not so upset at your teams performance and the inability of you and graves to select talent, we would all be asleep, like you.

17. By morris on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Whiz is displaying quality leadership. While it is easy to lead when the times are good, his approach right now speaks volumes to his character and quality as a coach. We, Arizona, are lucky to have him. The margin of error in the nfl is slim, and while the team did not play particularly well monday, I am confident that we have the talent to get over the hump. Keep fighting, go cards!! Sunday marks the beginning of the next chapter, let’s make it a positive one. Thanks to the team for all they do to entertain us!!

18. By Roy on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

I don’t fault him for not being emotional. Every coach is not Bill Cowher. I know that he cares, I also know that he realizes that he has made some HUGE mistakes with this team. Ultimately, what the fan base wants to hear is him step up as a man and say that he will shoulder the blame for our season. That is what real men and real leaders do. They don’t keep saying the same old “we are gonna keep working hard” bit. We want accountability. It should come from him first. We are not just losing, we are being embarrassed.

19. By ray on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

CLASS ACT!!!!

20. By Joe DeBolt on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

QUESTION:
    Are we more intersted in his personality skils or his coaching skils. If I were paying his sallary I know what I would be more interested in!

21. By cardsalltheway on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

I’ve got the St. Louis Rams defense(fantasy) this week against the horrible Cards offense and D. Anderson. Thank you, Ken W. I’ve done well picking the Cards defense in the past but they have stunk it up as well recently(no TD’s). D. Anderson wasn’t able to lead the team to a TD against the 49ers mediocre pass defense so what do you suppose he’s going to do against the Rams and their 31 sacks this week? Come on Grimmless O-line, and Big Foot/Learch like D.A., let’s see what you can do.

22. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Whiz,

Just cut DA after the season is over, and we’ll start fresh in 2011. But if you name DA as your starter heading into the next training camp, you will be living on borrowed time with the fans, and although you ultimately won’t let their opinions affect your decisions, the fans do buy the tickets to fill the stadium, and there is no way the team will sell out but a handful of games next year, which means a return to blackouts. Already, this team’s performance in 2010 has all but guaranteed that there will be no nationally-televised prime-time games in 2011. All things the Bidwill’s are keenly aware of, I’m sure.

23. By mike b on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

What do they want Whiz to do? Throw a player in the stands?

24. By Andy on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Getting all upset worked really well for Dennis Green! :)

Whiz is handling this as well as you can. If the head coach starts acting erratic emotionally in public when things are bad, his players and the public will typically start to respect him less. I think his even handed approach when things are good and bad is the wisest way to handle things over the long haul. John Wooden used to say that he wanted his players to mature to the point where after a game in the locker room you couldn’t tell whether they had won or lost. That even keeled approach, while not sexy, is going to yield better results long term imo.

25. By MIKEFLORIO on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Lol thisis awesome just like I predicted in the 08′ season!!! It the SAME OLE CARDS!!!! They shouldn’t have made it through the first round of the playoffs! Had it not been for a Hall of Fame QB (Kurt Warner) and a most epic playoff performance that a QB and WR (Fitzy) put on. Defensive was stout and our offensive was unstoppable!! Now look!!! We have a QB who minus one season in 07′ has been simply awful. It says alot when you get cut by the clevland browns! We have an old as dirt linebacker in PORTER, who by the awful offense is just under the radar! We have a aging safety that is try to do too much and not his own job in ADUB! We have absolutly no linebacker play!

Urb? You have probably answered this and writin about it, but , why isn’t Washington starting anymore?? Please shoot the link up let me know what I missed.

26. By jocards on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Okay clearly what Whisenhunt says during a press conference isn’t going to necessarily reflect exactly how he really feels. His style is even keeled and low key and that’s what he wants us to see and that’s fine. He’s an NFL head coach, does anybody really think he is not aware that going with DA as the starting QB has proven to be a bad decision? What good would it do for him to come out and say, “Man, did I miss on that one! This guy just plain stinks”??? It wouldn’t help at all. We’ve seen Max Hall & Skelton isn’t ready. Anderson is the starter and tearing him down in public is absolutely not going to help the team. Now we as fans on the other hand…..well we can and do say exactly what we feel and I completely agree that DA is not an adequate NFL QB. I would be completely shocked if he were even on the roster next season….I assure you that at this stage the coaching staff and front office knows that the decision to go with Anderson was a bad one.

27. By Darren Urban on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

MikeFlorio –

RE: DWash

Just got an e-mail asking the same thing. Washington was going to lose time when Hayes got back because, as usual, they prefer not to start rookies. But I will be writing about it probably Friday in my notebook, so keep an eye out.

28. By georgiebird on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Whiz has done a bad job. Since he got to AZ, his defense has been soft and ineffective. Warner covered up the problems but they’ve been here. This year, the weak NFC West has given many false hopes for too many weeks.
    The only answer to a guy like Whiz is number of people in the stadium. Some extras may come this week to see Bradford but the attendance should fall consistently.
    Since I’ve been down this road many times before-I believe there will be a meaningless Cardinal victory against the lousy Rams-it’s games like this that “cloud” the decision making process and perpetuate the inevitable.
    Like the others before him, Whiz will be gone (eventually), and the hunt will be on for another Coryell and the questions of college coach or pro assistant or out of work HC.

29. By CZarr on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

I’d be curious to know how many of these people were saying these things the previous two years. I’d bet a week’s pay the vast majority of the fans kept their mouths shut.

It boggles me how fickle you fans can be. I mean, yea, I’ve got opinions on some stuff; Specifically the Leinart situation… But fans should keep in mind that they’ve never been in that locker room, they’ve never been on that sideline, they’ve never played on that level.

I’m sorry if you feel that if coach had taken you from 3rd string to starter in highschool that you would have gone to state, but that isn’t a reasonable explanation for your blatent disreguard for questioning someone with myriad more experience than you.

Would you ask ADub how to [not] tackle like Deion Sanders? No. Would you ask a 5 year old for dating tips? No. Would you ask your great auntie Marie how to HTML? NO… Ergo, I will not ask you to provide ridiculous uneducated opinions on coaching an NFL team.

30. By Bill L on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Whiz has no idea just how BAD this Team stinks……talk about denial. Self-Delusional comes to mind. How about Arrogant Ignorance. What gets me is that NOBODY in the organization will Admit it and Try to Fix it. Blind leading the blind……dumb leading the dumb…….Inept leading the Inept……….thank heaven for NFL revenue sharing…..RIGHT?!!!!

31. By Magee on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Three or four of the remaining games are winable. How about we go out on the field and give some of these teams a butt whipping and see who is interested in making the playoffs. There is not one team in this division who can’t look back and see at least three games they should have won. St.louis has lost three games on the last drive. There can still be some progress made getting back to being a decent team.
    Everybody on this Cardinal team should be angry!

32. By unmerited on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Competition requires passion, if you arn’t passionate then someone else will take what you had. However i appreciate controled emotions, and think Whiz handles his emotions well and is doing great for the most part. I also think until our offense can get some first downs he needs to get more motivated cause its unbearable watching these guys flop all game long.

33. By Money on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

I have been thinking about why an organization that wants to be successful would sign an experienced QB with issues, say there is a QB competition, then later enter the preseason knowing full well they are going to cut Leinert (based on the preseason playing time with the 1st string) and replace him with rookies. Today it came to me. They didn’t want to pay Anderson 1st string QB money ($8-10M, his cap number was $8.7 before Cleveland cut him) which would more than double his current salary of ~$3.5M (he has incentives to match the Cleveland salary but I’m sure one of them is not achieving the 32nd best passer rating). At the start of the season, the Cardinals were 28th in spending at $97.8M and I am guessing that includes Dockett’s extention because the list was published 10 days later (profootballtalk.com). Only the Jags, Bucs, and Chiefs spent less. The median teams are the Lions/Texans at $123M. We let Boldin, Dansby, and Rolle go and if they made ~$8M each this year with new contracts that would put the Cards in the middle of the league. Or, let Rolle go and keep Calvin Pace the year before (mem’ba him?).
    Darren, I’m sure it would be a very uncomfortable conversation, but maybe you can ask Graves or Bidwill to respond to these numbers and events with their “thinking” at the time. This was a “hunkerdown and go cheap” year from the start due to the labor agreement; I usually support Mike Bidwill but the numbers do not lie. He could have kept more of the team intact but he chose to bank the money and let pro bowlers go. He let the fans down and we will not forget that.

34. By Michael on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

I’m still excited for next year! I’m still excited for the remaining games! But man I hope DA doesn’t stick around too llong! Go Cards!

35. By Dan Crowell on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I live in PA and am a huge Cards fan. Our local paper rates the Penn State efforts every week after the game. Offense, defense, etc. and coaching. It uses the school grading system, ABCDF. If you were to rate the coaching staff, including Whis, from Monday’s game, what would you give them? How about for the season so far? Just curious as to your take on their overall coaching this season. It just doesn’t seem to me they are prepared to play, or just don’t care! I still don’t understand why they insist on playing the 3-4 when they obviously don’t have personnel to do it. Teams run all over them and their players are never in position to make plays. Last year they were at least in position although they didn’t tackle well. This year they are never in position to even touch the ball carrier, let alone tackle them. You do a great job and I’m just curious as to what you would grade them at.

36. By Voice of Reason on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Since this season is over, let’s talk about what coaching hires should be made for next year.

First, I think Whiz stays. The organizations that are successful most of the time do not fire the head coach every time a team has a down year (see: Pittsburgh, Tennessee).

They do, however, replace assistants. And that is what needs to be done here.

First, Bill Davis needs to go. I think he’s a great linebackers coach, but he’s failed as a D-coordinator in San Francisco and has now failed here as well. They need someone that has been successful in that role before (see: KC with Crennel).

The top two guys on my list: Mike Nolan or Wade Phillips.

Second, the Cards need to hire an offensive coordinator and strip this strange “running game coordinator/passing game coordinator” stuff. The OC needs to be a guy that will call the offensive plays.

I’m not sure who will be available, but they need to bring in an established guy that has been successful in that role before (again, ala Kansas City with Weis). Perhaps someone like Darrell Bevel (Minnesota). If they want to open the passing game (read: put best foot forward to convincing #11 to stay here), they might consider Dirk Koetter. Have to question whether his philosophy and Whiz’s would be too opposed for such a marraige.

37. By IRISHRED on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Jim Schwartz is emotional (and entertaining). And his team stats are worse than ours. I’d like to see DA, and all the Cards get fired up more, but that’s the Irish talking. As should be painfully obvious, D not the only bird on the field. Poor offense is why we’re without Kurt this year. A side note: the black jerseys are NOT team colors. I don’t know what the big deal is over them. We didn’t represent ourselves in any way Monday. Suit up and man up Arizona!!!

38. By peter in canada on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Some of these posts make me laugh. Whiz is a lousy coach because he rode Warner’s coat tails to the Super Bowl.Therefore in order to be a good coach he must ride DA’s coat tails to the Super Bowl. I’ve only seen one coach win a Super Bowl with a lousy QB and that was the Ravens and they had an awesome defence and a strong run game. Whiz takes some of the blame for being stuck with Anderson and no adequate back ups but that’s all. And I’ll bet Anderson and to a lesser extent Hall are not on the 2011 roster.

39. By Darren Urban on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Dan –

RE: Grades

I don’t do grades. I didn’t as a beat reporter for a paper, and I won’t do it now. I think it’s safe to say the coaching hasn’t been good enough.

The 3-4 discussion doesn’t make sense to me. It’s not going to be changed in-season. I am surprised people don’t understand the complexity of an offense or defense (and I know I am going to have people disagree with me, but I’m not coming off this point). When the players aren’t in position to make plays, did it ever occur it is because they line up in the wrong place?

Now, after the season, we will see. But since a) Dan Williams, a true nose guard, was drafted and b) Alan Branch doesn’t like playing tackle and c) Campbell’s size makes him a little more natural as a 3-4 end than 4-3, I do not expect the scheme to change.

40. By Voice of Reason on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Correction — Alan Branch doesn’t like playing a 3-4 NT, and with good reason. He’s too tall. The best 3-4 NTs are built like Casey Hampton (6’1) or if they are taller, like Ted Washington (who was 6’4, but weighed close to four bills). Dan Williams is built like a 3-4 nose. Gabe Watson is too. Bryan Robinson is not, and never has been.

If they do play four down linemen, the inner two could be Williams and Branch, or Williams and Watson, and if it were the former, I’ll bet Branch wouldn’t care.

What would be fun to see — and I think the Cards have the athleticism to make this work — is play four down linemen — Dockett, Watson, Williams, Branch, with Campbell filling in for Branch on passing downs.

Against that front, there should be zero runs up the middle, and that unit should develop the swagger that nobody can run on them.

Of course, Darren is right that they won’t go away from their 3-4 base, but employing the lineup above (especially on run downs) would make some sense.

41. By TucsonTim on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Wow. Just a little arrogant; aren’t we? Nice to know that as a season ticket holder what I think about the team doesn’t really matter.

42. By Mike Ellingboe on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

While I respect for your knowledge of the team I do have to disagree that our personnel fits a 3-4. If you look at the last time our “D” really played well it was during the 08 playoffs when we completely shut down the running games of Atlanta, Carolina, and Philadelphia in a base 4-3. Before you say it, I know used both bases that year and the idea of going to a 3-4 was to improve our pass defense but now we aren’t defending either with any kind of success. We’re handcuffing our best pass rusher (Dockett) and still haven’t found anyone to create consistent outside pressure. Let Williams collapse the pocket like he did at Tennessee (in a 4-3), and isolate Dockett to make the OG’s life miserable. We’ve gone from shutting Westbrook down, in playoff game, close to his prime, to watching him run all over us a back-up well past his prime.

It’s a change they have to look very strongly at, because I cringe when I think of what the stats show since we’ve made the conversion at the beginning of last season. Not to mention how bad it’s made otherwise very good defensive back look (McFadden, Wilson, DRC)…

43. By Big Red on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

I’m behind you coach Whiz. We all have are ups and downs, but with a little bit of faith we’ll be on top soon. We’re gonna shock the world next year. Go Cardinals! One thing for sure, we need a new Qb and DC for next year. Maybe we already have the QB in Skelton. Something tells me you know something too, about Skelton.

44. By NJAzCardsFan on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Whiz should read these blogs…..
    Then he should dump DA as most of us here realize that the Cards will not win another game with him as QB. With DA there is no leadership, nor ability to get the ball to the receivers or even motivate the rest of the team. It seems they go out there knowing they are going to fail with DA as QB. The team showed life (at least some) with Hall as QB even though he was a rookie who made too many mistakes.
    It will just get uglier and Whiz may dig a hole for himself and the rest of the team that they can’t get out of. In two years Whiz managed to change the culture of the Cards into a winner. Now with this loser DA as QB that is all gone in less than 3 months.
    It is time to face the reality coach that what you are doing just isn’t working …….

45. By Jeff Gollin on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

Overarching point in all this is that “we’re losing”

A series of consecutive losses with the outcomes rarely decided by one or two bad plays, controversial calls by the refs or “bad luck.” We are in the doldrums.

It doesn’t matter whether our HC acts like Vince Lombardi, Bozo the Clown or Cool Hand Luke – if we were winning, nobody would give a rat’s damn..

But we’re losing. Everything from cleat-length to hangnails to coaching demeanor will be under the microscope.

46. By TucsonTim on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

Darren -

Mike’s right. It’s football, not brain surgery and these guys are supposed to be professionals. The 3-4 has been a disaster with these LB’s from game one. Wilson looks like his carreer is over. DRC looks awful. Toler/Adams a joke. Docket was ineffective before he got hurt.

Maybe it would give them a little spark. Besides what’s the concern. If we give up more than 12 pts we’re probably going to lose anyway. We’re already close to last in every defensive category.

47. By NJCardsFan on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

I have a few questions. Why is Russ Grimm catching no flack for being so horrible? The Cards O-Line is HORRENDOUS !! Grimm was supposed to be the next big thing right? The next great NFL coach? How can he coach a whole team when he can’t even coach this O-line? They jump offsides, they hold, they miss blocks, they can’t run the ball. Grimm needs to be held accountable for some of the Cards’ misfortunes. Very disappointing. Was definitely expecting much bigger and better things from the O-line.

48. By AZCardsWin on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

Call it the “December to Remember” for our 2010 Arizona Cardinals as anything is still possible in the NFC West.

Keep the faith and Protect The Nest vs Rams!

The fun is just beginning!
    ~Tim in NJ

49. By Scott H on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

Rod -
    I’m with you, man. At this point, Whiz is just entirely too “cool” for my liking. No, he doesn’t need to go all Dennis Green during a press conference and throw chairs and that kind of thing. But…this team needs something to shake them up and they are NOT getting that from their head coach right now because he’s showing no fire whatsoever. Sorry, but the even-keeled approach just isn’t working right now. Six losses in a row and NO ONE is being sent the message that this is un-acceptable. Guys like Todd Haley, Kurt Warner, and Anquan Boldin wouldn’t allow that in the past. With them gone, it’s not happening. The results are obvious.

50. By TucsonTim on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

NJCards Fan -

It’s not just Russ. It’s also his son. Have you ever worked somewhere where the boss’s son has been given some responsibility and worked within the organization? 99% of the time it’s a total disaster. Whether you work at circle K or Goldman Sacs, you don’t want some half wit kid of the boss running around acting like he has something useful to say.

Huge red flag about the internal organizational effectiveness of the Cards. Hard to believe so few have mentioned it

51. By Adam on Dec 4, 2010 | Reply

We don’t want t o see Whisenhunt show emotion. We just want to see him enforce rules. He is too nice and the players take advantage of that. It shows.

Whisenhunt has the Romoeo Crennel syndrome. Good coach but too nice. Nice gets you fired and you lose a lot of games when you’re nice. Also, your players don’t give their all for nice coaches. Players don’t respect nice coaches. You end up as a role player just like Romeo Crennel.

I have a book for Whiz to read. “Good to Great”!! It’s a good one. Or how about John Wooden’s “Wooden on Leadership”. That one is awesome. Now, John Wooden. That guy was detailed.

It’s not about Wins and Losses. It’s about developing players and getting your players to give 100%.

This coaching staff doesn’t develop players. If the players we’re giving their all in all the games they have lost I wouldn’t be frustrated with this coaching staff. You can tell these guys quit in games. That’s the sad thing about this team.

52. By Adam on Dec 4, 2010 | Reply

Who are some of these coaches that Whisenhunt has hired? Who is coach Raich?? I heard he doesn’t know what the heck he is doing with the linebackers.

Whisenhunt get your ship together. The leader sets the example for his troops. Whisenhunt is too passive.

53. By Adam on Dec 4, 2010 | Reply

Peter in Canada,

Trent Dilfer wasn’t a lousy quarterback the YEAR the Ravens went to the Superbowl and won. You need to do your research before you talk. Trent Dilfer didn’t turn the ball over that year and he was smart. DA can’t read defenses and it shows. I’ll take Trent Dilfer over DA anyday. Trent Dilfer was very consistent the year they won the Superbowl. Do some research buddy!

54. By Darren Urban on Dec 4, 2010 | Reply

Adam –

RE: Dilfer

Before you put Dilfer on a pedestal or talk about how much better he was than Anderson (or even on the subject of who should be doing research), let’s remember that at one point that season, the Ravens went five games in a row without a touchdown. It was the NFL’s longest touchdown drought in more than 25 years.

55. By eazy e on Dec 5, 2010 | Reply