• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Superstitions and change

Posted by Darren Urban on December 2, 2010 – 2:11 pm

So Ken Whisenhunt was asked today, even though he likes to keep for example his practice schedule the same, if he has looked at others areas he could change.

“Oh yeah, I have changed it up every week looking for a combination,” Whisenhunt said. “I am grasping for straws trying to find something that works. Just to be clear, when I say we are going to stay the same, I am talking about how we practice, when we practice, what the schedule is, those things. You have to have some type of consistency to come out of this. As far as anything else? I am certainly willing to try.”

Whisenhunt is a superstitious coach. Superstitions and change don’t often mesh. “People that know me know how superstitious I am and they know my routines,” he said. “For me to change it up is a real departure.”

Whiz said it would take him forever to note every superstition he has (and he noted many football coaches are like that). It comes down, he believes, as a stress reliever, “as far as what time you get up, how you come in to work, what type of clothes you wear, how you put your shoes on, what you eat, when you eat … I could keep going.”

Speaking of stress, Whisenhunt said he’s been thankful for the support he has gotten from many people, because these are unquestionably difficult times.

“As much criticism as there is, you don’t understand how much you beat yourself up,” Whisenhunt said. “We want to win, I like the excitement we have in our stadium, I like it when the fans are excited and proud about our team and it hurts when we aren’t performing.”

– WR Steve Breaston (knee) was limited Thursday after practicing full Wednesday. But three others — DE Calais Campbell (ankle, limited Thursday), LB Paris Lenon (knee, full Thursday) and S Matt Ware (shoulder, full Thursday) were upgraded. The rest of the injury report was unchanged.

Tags: , , , ,

55 Responses to “Superstitions and change”

1. By Fred Auzenne on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

It seems pretty obvious to everyone we need a quarterback. What is happening on that front? Keep doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result is called insanity. Derek sucked in Clevland and he is doing the same here.

2. By Tyrelle on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

I wish he would get his team prepared

3. By RED BIRD 66 on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

How about suggesting that they open that roof that we all paid for, that would be a change for Whiz. The noise factor is not helping as you could he a pin drop even when SF had the ball as everyone was stunned on MNF.

Also,if DA has such a reputation of locking on to the WR don’t you think that it should be fairly easy to lock on and then go to a different guy. I was in the lofts on MNF and I spent most of the game just watching the WR’s when I wasn’t beating my head on the wall. I saw numerous times when a guy was open or #11 was 1 on 1 where DA went to double coverage. I say if #11 is 1 on 1, give him a chance as he will make it happen.
    I have finally given up on the idea that Skelton will play as obviously he doesn’t have it and may never have it.
    Pleae suggest to WHiz that they open the roof as it is going to be a great day on sunday and even though I told myself I was done for the season after the MNF fiasco I will still go and root for AZ. The roof open would be a change and maybe all the inept play will float away.

4. By BLOOD RED on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

This problem isn’t coach Whiz’s fault.I think it is a combination of things,but most all stemming from nobody having true confidence in our ability to score when we need to.That is in huge part to Derek Anderson,how can a team feel confident in being able to win with a QB like Anderson.He chokes worse than Jake the snake,and i really don’t think it bothers him.I know it really bothers me!!!I would rather see Skelton get some time and see what we have for next year.I have never been a guy to give up,but there is no way Anderson can lead us through the playoffs!We will have a better chance to win if the team see’s a change in QB.I know both are young, but i feel the fans and the team know deep in there heart that Anderson isn’t a true blooded cardinal.So let’s show everybody that we understand Anderson is not our man and move on from this guy.I would rather deal with all of these 49ers fans i’m surrounded with talking trash with a young gun like Skelton.I don’t know what is keeping him off the field,but i do know we would rather see a simplified game plan with rookie ,mistakes and all.Anderson has a better chance of getting our recievers hurt than a rookie.You can see players don’t believe in him just by the way they are running routes and playing like they have been starred down,ready to get smashed by a saftey.I didn’t want to to go on this long,but i am frustrated not by the record as much as this 1 guy bringing down the energy of the team!So if you want to keep good players and fans,make a change in QB for good!We can see what Skelton has and get a high pick for a QB if he doesn’t workout.I think Hall has to small of hands,even though i love him as a person.He has the right mindset but i dont know if he has physical assets needed.Sorry Max!Good man!I have always been diehard fan and always will be.So lets get on track for next year!Let Skelton have a chance and pound the rock with what should be the best tandem of running backs in NFL!!!Rock and Roll REDBIRDS!!!!!!!

5. By A cards fan who lives in Indy on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

We all know what is wrong with the offense, no stability at the QB and O-line, but the defense, it seems like they do no game planning whats so ever. you can sit there and blame it on the players all day for mental mistakes or what not but at some point you have to look at the Defensive Coordinator. Bill Davis is not a good coordinator nor a good LB coach, at this point I would take Clancy Pendergast!

6. By Eric on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

How about playing our rookies for the rest of the year to do an early evaluation for next year, bench DRC for his lack of effort and unwillingness to be aggressive and just down right quiting, and positioning ourselves to draft Andrew Luck? Lets see what Skelton can do. I know he is raw, but as of right now we will only be playing to win ourselves out of getting what we really need, a quality, long term replacement at QB. Lets at least see what he can do and get him some snaps. If we want to keep Fitz we need a commitment to building a solid O line, a solid QB, and a new D coordinator. We have plenty of talent on defense, they are just not being coached well or used correctly. A true offensive coordinator would allow Whiz to concentrate on the overall team. What do you think Darren? GO CARDS!!!!!

7. By Donswan on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

hey blood red…. nobody can play behind that o-line…. period….

8. By ben on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

just hope he doesnt blow his top ten pick he’s earned in next years draft. maybe with a lil luck our team we will not keep on this same ol down turn

9. By AndyStandsUp on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Can everyone please knock off the Einstein quote about insanity is repeating things/different results? It’s getting tired.
    If you want to use one of his sayings how about:
    “Put your hand on a stove for 1 minute and it seems like an hour; spend 1 hour with a special girl and it seems like 1 minute. Now that’s what I call relativity.”
    Or even, ” He who stands on toilet, gets high on pot.”
    Sorry, that was Confucius. Or was that a Dockett twitter?

10. By Darren Urban on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Eric –

RE: Changes

I think at this point, I am going to sit back and let everybody vent.

11. By Michael Russell on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

What do you think of the idea of possibly moving A-Dub to Linebacker? I think it would help him because he would not have to pass cover as much as he would as a safety

12. By sgt602 on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Definition of Insanity: Posting the definition OVER AND OVER AND OVER!!!! ANDYSTANDSUP…Very Funny.

13. By brad oneill on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

well since football is over we might as well discuss ways they could sell more jerseys.

maybe if they changed the team name to the desperados and went with a really cool pancho villa type mascott.

I can see the commercial now. a little cardinal tweeting away on a cactus interrupted by a shotgun blast. Then Pancho Saying something like “cardinals don’t belong in az.” before taking a slug of Tequila.

of course sheriff joe would probably deport our mascot. damn it.

14. By MikeG on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren—Big game versus the Rams this week—you still have to come to play regardless of the record. This game will test character and pride. I just hope the Card’s can develop a run game in the first half. I think that is what’s needed for a win. How have the guys been at practice this week??? Still upbeat??

15. By ross on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Darren, keep trucking man.

16. By ziggy stardust on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

darren, so whiz justifies doing nothing different because he’s superstitious? even when said superstitions helped put him and his players in the cellar of the no freaking clue conference? maybe whiz should be tested for post concussion syndrome. quite possibly all the blows to the head he took as a tight end are finally catching up to him. p.s. the card gave is sold out but will be blacked out in my home. i refuse to sit around and get pissed off watching a bunch of inept high paid atheletes disgrace their fans.

17. By Phoenixraven1 on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Go cardinals!!!

18. By TBru on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Being superstitious in a playoff run is great. Being superstitious in a loosing streak is dumb.

19. By Frustrated on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Michael Russell. Moving him to linebacker could be hindered by the fact that his contract may interfere with his being moved to another position. I don’t know but it certainly is a posibility.

20. By Darren Urban on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

MikeG –

RE: Practice

I think we have determined it doesn’t matter.

21. By Havasu Tom on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    I go down to the local donut shop and meet some of my contractor buddies nearly every morning. 1/2 are Cardinals fans, the rest for other teams around the country. I’ve been trying to keep the Cards fans together and wear there gear. But, it’s getting tougher. The taunting that we’re receiving is getting rough.( We pull up AZCARDINALS.com nearly every morning) Of course the QB situation is a issue. However, the defense is being more talked about. WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED is the most common question. Darren, tell us where the defense went wrong?
    Thanks for your commitment to our team. Tom

22. By ross on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Darren, seen any good movies lately?

23. By georgiebird on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

With all the problems on this team, why do so many pick on the OL. Against a good SF defense, DA was give ample time to throw. There are very few OLs in the league that can function when playing from behind. Of all the units on the team, only the special teams and the receiver group are better than the OL.
    The Units worse than the OL:(worst on top)
    1) QBs
    2) LBs
    3) DBs
    4) DL
    5) TEs
    6) RBs (Beanie and THT still dance around too much)

There was a point mid- game when it looked like Beanie was getting things going. In no way am I saying that the OL is much more than adequate but that’s more than I can say about the other units that are downright horrible.
    On DRC- he has been a dumb player since the Cards got him- for some reason teams avoided him which only created his mystique. Once teams found he wasn’t that good, they have exposed him. At TN State, DRC didn’t play against QBs as good as John Skelton.
    Do you think my comments are off base?

24. By jdcrow59 on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Darren: Bravo, The response to MikeG may very well be the best I have seen this year. First to worst in less than a year. Even old Albert doesn’t have a quip for that one.

25. By cardsalltheway on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Ken W. does not have the English sense for word play.

26. By Gary stevenson on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Darren, please let us fan know what kind of feed back the owners have given this week on
    1. Another loss on the streak of losses
    2. On the ” D.A Gate”

Real football minds want to know how this has shaken the tops of the trees and not just the low hanging fruits like “D.A”

One more point: how much of wiz’s wasted time and efforts on childlike superstitions have negatively impacted the team with lost opportunity cost?

Last point: I personally would not play DA for his actions after the game. Not just because his play has been horrid. Great coaches like Tony Dungy would do the same. As the coach you have to draw a line in the sand and demand your players maintain character when they cross that line they must pay for their actions. If you do not do this you will have a team full of these problems quickly spiraling out of control!

27. By CardinalsFavor on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

QB
    OC
    DC

and a line.

With two years to prep for this, 2012 should be a good season.

28. By Blair on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

I love how all these people think they should take a qb in the first round when I looks there will be a handfull of quality qbs set to hit the open market. If your going to let the O line stink up the way it is, and have no linebackers, then you can bet your going to keep getting early round picks. This team needs corner and linebacker depth baaaaaad. Not to mention a good lineman or two.

29. By Adam on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

Coach WHIZ needs to take a page from his own ex assistant coaches playbook, who is now the head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs.
    TODD HALEY.. Now that guy knows how to build a coaching staff. Coach WHIZ brought in all of his buddies who have no football acumen. WHIZ HIRED ALL HORRIBLE COACHES.
    TODD HALEY KNEW THAT IN ORDER TO WIN AND COMPETE FOR THE DIVISION HE MUST BRING IN OTHER COACHES WHO ARE LEADERS AND WINNERS. HOW HARD IS THAT TO DO???? YOU GO OUT AND INTERVIEW COACHES UNTIL YOU FIND THE BEST. NOT YOUR PITTSBURGH BUDDIES!!!!!!

NOW, let’s look at who TODD HALEY went after and built his team around. He built his coaching staff with winners. Not like the losers we have leading the Cardinals. This is all WHIZENHUNTS FAULT. He has hired the worst coaching staff in the NFL apart from him (WHIZENHUNT) just not having what it takes to really lead a team.
    LOOK AT THE TALENT IN KANSAS CITY.. YOU CAN’T TELL ME IT’s BETTER THAN THE TALENT WE HAVE IN AZ. IT’s ALL COACHING. WHEN YOU ARE A HEAD COACH YOU HIRE WINNERS THAT REALLY KNOW HOW TO LEAD AND HAVE FOOTBALL ACUMEN AND LEADERSHIP SKILLS.

TODD HALEY TURNED AROUND A TEAM THAT HAD MINIMAL WINS LAST YEAR INTO A PROVEN COMPETITOR. WHIZENHUNT COULD NEVER DO THAT BECAUSE HE DOESN”T KNOW HOW. WHIZENHUNT IS SOFT AND NICE AND HIS TEAM IS SOFT AND NICE.

TODD HALEY IS A STRICT, NO NONSENSE, WINNER WHO KNOWS WHAT IT TAKES TO WIN AND HIS TEAM PLAYS THAT WAY. HE HAS BUILT A TOUGH TEAM. THE CARDINALS DON’T KNOW WHAT TOUGH IS.. WHIZ.. WHEN YOU ARE BUILDING A TEAM YOU SEEK OUT WINNERS NOT YOUR BUDDIES. THE BLAME ALWAYS GOES TO THE HEAD COACH AND IF THE HEAD COACH CAN’T BE A MAN AND EXCEPT THE BLAME NO MATTER WHAT THEN HE SHOULDN’T BE THE HEAD COACH. TRUE LEADERS ALWAYS TAKE THE BLAME FOR WHAT IS WRONG AND ALWAYS COMMITT TO FIXING IT.

BRING IN BILL COWHER HE’LL MAKE THIS TEAM TOUGH AND VALID IN ONE SEASON JUST LIKE TODD HALEY DID IN KANSAS CITY. RUSS GRIMM, YOU’RE THE ONLY TOUGH AND RESPECTED COACH ON THIS TEAM. YOU SHOULD LEAVE AND GO TO CAROLINA. GO WHILE YOU CAN!!!

30. By Adam on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

ANDYSTANDSUP IS FUNNY!! WAY TO LIGHTEN IT UP ON HERE.

WILL EVERYONE STOP TALKING ABOUT PLAYING FOR PRIDE??

THE CARDINALS HAVE THROWN PRIDE OUT OF THE WINDOW 5 WEEKS AGO.

THEY JUST STINK.. THERE IS NO PRIDE WHEN YOU PLAY LIKE THE CARDS..

NOW BUFFALO PLAYS WITH PRIDE..THEY COMPETE!!! THEIR GAMES GO DOWN TO THE WIRE. I BET THE BILLS WOULD CRUSH THIS DIVISION!!

THE LIONS WOULD CRUSH THIS DIVISION TOO.. SO SAD!!!!!

WERE ONLY 2 GAMES BACK.. GO CARDS!!!

31. By Utah Card on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

I agree with a lot of what Blood Red said, except that this problem IS Whiz’s fault. Whiz obviously has his favorites within the organization, be they players or coaches, and those favorites can do any manner of stupid or incompetent things and they escape repercussion. Witness Grimm’s ineffectual O-line, Davis’ inconsistent D during his reign, and Anderson’s constantly staring down receivers. My god, I remember my freshman football coach telling QB’s not to stare down receivers, and Whiz can neither drill that simple concept into Anderson’s skull, nor punish him for stupidly continuing to do it, when Anderson is a supposed professional? Yet, Boldin mouthed off so Whiz showed him the door, Leinart was made to jump through ridiculous hoops and still got shafted in a chain of events so comedic that any honest person has to admit was absurd, Wells is used only when Whiz feels like throwing him a bone or when Wells complains publicly about his inactivity, and Hall obviously has said or done something to become the most recent member of Whiz’s persona non grata list.

I care much less about Whiz’s low-key public persona than I do about him running the team with honesty and integrity. But I’m not seeing that, instead I’m seeing a man who’s built an organizational structure around the premise of with-me/against-me, and he managed to ride that structure to success on the backs of OC Haley, and Hall of Famers Warner, Fitzgerald, and possibly Boldin. But this season Haley, Warner, and Boldin are all gone, and now the structure has revealed itself in all the ignominy that it is.

I don’t blame the players at all for giving up on this season, and playing just to protect themselves and to avoid injury. With Whiz’s contempt for Hall so great that Whiz refuses to let him play through his rookie mistakes (like Whiz said he was going to do, incidentally), and instead egotistically putting the team’s fortunes in the inept hands of “his guy”, the dumb-beyond-belief Anderson, I don’t know how else the players who have a clue can be expected to react. This game is their livelihood, this game is how they support their families, so god bless them and more power to them. Their professional football careers will likely be too short for them to justify risking physical injury for such a small-minded goal as Whiz’s twisted sense of “team”.

Darren, I’ve been reading the site for years, and you do a great job of running it. Don’t do too much digging into or voicing opinions about the controversial issues surrounding the team, because given that the Cardinals are your employer, your position is too precarious, and the job you do is too valuable to us fans, for you to risk upsetting somebody in management and losing your job. Some other NFL teams’ websites are of a quality that’s similar to Derek Anderson’s play at quarterback, so I appreciate you running this site with a Kurt Warner kind of quality.

32. By Jeff Gollin on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

Here’s my superstition:

During each week, we put in an extra 4 or 5 hours a day, watching film, working with teammates on various units perfecting unit-cohesion, memorizing the game plan/playbook and correcting technique-flaws.

Do that and we’ll win.

See? Superstition really works!

33. By MikeTheHelmetFlorio on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

Hey. Still appreciating ur work. You need a pay rise!
    I think the entire organisation needs to focus now on getting the number 1 pick in the 2011 draft. I think we are definitely the worse team in the NFL so we need to tank it against the panthers and broncos to ensure we draft luck.
    I assume tie breakers are individual match ups in the draft order?
    Detroit have Stafford, the bills are improving, I think Denver may be happy with teebow and orton but the panthers will take luck at #1.
    So play the rooks for the rest of the year and mail it in!
    Man that defense is depressing though. I say in 2011 we lose Wilson porter haggans cambell lenon. All utterly washed up and on the scrap heap.

34. By joe67 on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

We barely beat (and were really lucky to do so) the rams in Bradfords first ever game. They have really improved and I feel we have definetly gone the other way. This game could get uglier than Mon Nite. Hope not, but wouldn’t surprise me a bit. I just keep hoping something will happen to wake these guys up, and they will play like they can. We have lost a bunch in a row, why not win the last 5 in a row. 8-8 would probably mean playoffs, so we do still have that one little ray of hope!

I still support Wiz. To get rid of him would be dumbest thing ever, or at least since Coryell.

35. By peter in Canada on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

Darren- The Cards seem to be committed to the 3-4 defence. The 3-4 requires a nose tackle that can take on multiple linemen and hold his ground to protect the linebackers. I can only see the games on tv but it seems to me the play at nose tackle is not very good. Robinson appears to be done and Williams does not get much time. Do you think that Williams has shown enough to be a force next year? I would appreciate your thoughts.

36. By Darren Urban on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

Havasu –

RE: Defense

I promise you, if I knew what went wrong, I would have mentioned it to someone downstairs. I’m sure they would want to know.

37. By Darren Urban on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

Ross –

RE: Movies

No time. Too busy answering blog questions.

38. By Darren Urban on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

Georgie –

RE: OLine/DRC

I think your opinion is as valid as anyone else’s. I haven’t thought about ranking, but it is safe to say no unit can stand back and say, ‘We’re playing as good as we should.’

As far as DRC, I think he is ultra-talented. I think he still hasn’t matured all the way. He isn’t a superstar, but I disagree he couldn’t become one.

39. By Darren Urban on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

Gary –

RE: Questions

1) Ownership is letting Whisenhunt talk for the organization. You can disagree, but that’s how they have decided to play it.
    2) On DA — some people aren’t happy with Anderson (one guy said he won’t read my blog anymore because I wouldn’t condemn Derek for what he did). Others are angry Anderson apologized because they don’t think he had anything to apologize for. Again, your opinions are valid. But yours, like anyone else’s, are not hard-and-fast correct.

40. By Darren Urban on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

Adam –

RE: Coaches

First of all, start spelling Whisenhunt’s name correctly. You don’t, I won’t post. You don’t like that rule, don’t comment. And cool it with the all-caps. Incredibly annoying.

Second, I didn’t see you commenting on this last year, when Haley’s Chiefs were 4-12 and Whisenhunt — with this exact same staff — was 10-6. I’m not say there won’t be changes, or shouldn’t be changes, but some of this is laughable that people are so angry and some of the same things that were still here last season.

41. By Darren Urban on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

Peter in Canada –

RE: Dan Williams/NT

Obviously, they took Williams with the No. 1 pick because they felt he could be that guy. He has had his moments, and he has had his moments of not as good. I’d be lying if I said I knew what he would be. But he hasn’t been a bust at this point, and I think that’s good enough for now.

42. By chem dawg on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

karlos dansby berry an rolle are missing. so is the spark for our defense.

43. By Gary J on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, What do you think of Andrew Luck? Do you think the Cards will do what it takes to draft him by trading up? I know theres a chance Luck may not come out this year, but I just can’t see him passing up a 100 million dollar contract. Most every draft site or sports writer that I have read so far has him going number one.

44. By Darren Urban on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

Gary J –

RE: Luck

So many variables. One, we don’t know what rookies will get. The new CBA has to be created and there is a strong chance it will contain a rookie wage scale (No more holdouts — yes!). I would think he would come out because he has nothing left to prove in college. That said, I don’t know if the Cards will trade up as opposed to taking someone else. Plus, you are assuming the team with the No. 1 pick doesn’t need a quarterback itself.

45. By James on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

Excuse me for my language, but i’m sorry you have to put up with all this crap from people when your just trying to do your job. Thanks for keeping up with all your posts and thanks for all that you do. I hope this message brightens your day. Don’t let these people bring you down; hang in there man!!!!! :)

James

46. By Adam on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

Todd Haley had to get rid of the weak and frail players on his team the first year so he can coach the players who were willing to sacrifice. Breaking down and building up. The army does it. Now look what he is getting from his players.

I didn’t know abou this site last year or I would have posted. As great as Kurt Warner was as a player Whisenhunt was only able to get this team to 9-7 and 10-6 and everyone knows and knew that this team was way better than that. They way the schedule was for those years everyone knows that Cards should have went 12-4 the year they went to the superbowl and 11-6 last year. All I am saying is that this team is not tough and doesn’t have any fight in them like the Bills and Lions who have been at the bottom of the pack for a very long time. Toughness is a reflection of the head coach. Fight is a reflection of the head coach. Look at Jason Garret. You can tell he is a leader by the way he talks and now the cowboys have fight again. That’s leadership.

Sorry, I won’t spell Whisenhunts name wrong anymore. But when I call him by his nickname I will spell it Whiz.

47. By Adam on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

Do you think this team is tough??

Do you think this team quits or gives up in games??

We are basically the worst in the league on both sides of the ball. Why?

48. By jocards on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

I know that the problems are many but really it is about the QB play. The NFL is a QB driven league and if you don’t get solid QB play you’re going to have a difficult time winning. The defense has issues, big issues but if the offense were able to sustain drives and put up at least respectable points the defense wouldn’t be so exposed. When Warner was under center a lot of the defensive shortcomings were masked because he kept the chains moving and put points on the board. The coaching staff could certainly do a better job but does anybody really think that if Warner were still playing this team would be 3-8? No way do I believe they would. My point is that when you get subpar play week in and week out from the QB position suddenly it appears that the coaching staff is bad, the defense is bad, etc, etc. Again it is a QB driven league.

49. By NJCardsFan on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

The Cards need, and I stress the word need, to draft Andrew Luck, quarterback from Stanford. This guy is the real deal. He is smart, athletic, and can make any throw on the field. We have seen in recent years that teams can win with rookie QB’s (ie: Ryan, Flacco, Sanchez). I’m telling you this guys is the answer to all our problems and he will be an answer for a long time to come. Give up all draft picks to move up to number one and get him, I dont care. Do whatever it takes. Lets make some noise on the blogs Cards fans and help the Bidwills and Coach Whiz see that Andrew Luck is the answer !!!

50. By Darren Urban on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

Adam –

RE: Spelling/Haley/toughness

Well, I agree on the nickname. I hate how “Whis” looks.

You can argue the toughness. That may be true. I don’t think so, because I think they have been tough in the past.

As far as the Cowboys, Garrett might be the guy. But it’s also possible they just quit on Wade Phillips. I don’t think the Cowboys’ roster is any fundamentally tougher than it was two months ago. I just think they are playing better football. Ultimately, I think the “toughness” is one of those overused intangibles that is easy to throw around one way or the other, when a team is losing or winning. I do get concerned guys let down in games. I and I’d dare say most people who have played sports have had instances where they get so frustrated/down that the play suffers. Regardless of paycheck, I don’t see why pro athletes would be immune. The Cards didn’t lose 47-7 on that snowy day in New England because the Patriots were 40 points better.

As for answers, well, I don’t have any. If I did, I’d go downstairs to Whisenhunt’s office and offer them up.

51. By MikeG on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren– As tough and frustrating as the Card’s season has been through 11 games. Do you see anyone Pro Bowl worthy??? Maybe only Lerod Stephens-Howling???

52. By georgiebird on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

Everyone talks about the Cardinal defense of Dansby, Rolle, etc. Is that the same defense that Pittsburgh went down the field against in about a minute in SB XLIII?
    To make matters worse, Pittsburgh’s march down the field was at the most euphoric time in this team’s history and the “D” couldn’t get one stop. No excuses. .
    If the Cardinals have done anything right, it’s letting Rolle & Dansby go for the money being asked. Stop with all the Dansby/Rolle propaganda.
    And it wasn’t long ago that A-dub was being looked at as HOF material and now he should be cut. But some sports writers 20 years from now will look a A-dubs 20 int & 20 sacks and vote him in via the numbers game- Only in America.
    So before anyone gets on DA (as bad as he is), focus on the defense- the “D” is the reason the SB was lost.

53. By Darren Urban on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

MikeG –

RE: Pro Bowl

I think Hyphen should get heavy consideration. And with his lofty reputation and still decent numbers, Fitz may still have an outside shot.

54. By Darren Urban on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

Georgie –

RE: Super defense

And as one other added note, Pendergast was the DC of that defense, and he was under fire from fans after that — which I note after all the people I keep seeing saying that they don’t know why Whisenhunt let Clancy go and promoted Bill Davis.

55. By Mike Teske on Dec 4, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    You should pass along to Coach that the Cards are 5-0 in live games that I’ve attended. That includes the Atlanta playoff game and NFC championship game in 08. Knowing hes pretty superstitious I’d be more than happy to be flown out for another game this season :) I still take some credit for the Janikowski missing that kick a couple months ago too. Haha