Rams aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on December 5, 2010 – 10:05 pm

Less than a week ago coach Ken Whisenhunt was saying John Skelton probably wasn’t going to play this season barring an injury. Then Max Hall got hurt. And Skelton got to play Sunday.

So now we see if Skelton gets to play. He looked good on those first couple of throws – darts to Steve Breaston and then Larry Fitzgerald – and that led the crowd to go crazy. You would have thought the Cards had traded for Tom Brady at that moment, but it showed how much the fans are starved for offensive success.

Because Max Hall was sick Friday last week, Skelton actually got some first-team reps – eight in fact. That is the entirety of Skelton’s first-team reps this season. Then he had to go out and perform with them.

“I was about as nervous as a third-string quarterback going into his first-game action could be,” Skelton said. “Nothing overwhelming or anything.”

– Will he start? We will see. I think a strong case can be made for it, especially since Whisenhunt said after the game that even though Derek Anderson wasn’t right (and was being checked for a concussion) he was going to make a QB change anyway.

Something has to change, Whisenhunt said. That certainly points – to me – as the Cards trying out a third starter this season.

– XTRA’s Mike Jurecki is tweeting the Cards will sign QB Richard Bartel should Hall be out (which sounds likely). The Cards had Bartel in for a workout a few weeks ago and they had seen him already this season – he played a good chunk of the preseason finale at University of Phoenix Stadium for the Redskins. If they do sign him, he’ll be the third guy. I would expect Anderson/Skelton to be one and two in some order.

– When Hall came in, he ended up passing three straight times despite the Cards being down just 10 points and the Cards running well. The first play, a play-action call, ended in a sack. The second play was a near-sack and an incompletion, and the third was an interception. It was an inauspicious sequence, but Whisenhunt said the Rams’ constant blitzing called for such plays.

“We thought there would be easy, easy throws,” Whisenhunt said. “One of (passes) got tipped and we missed the protection. The same play we ran to start the game (an Anderson 16-yard pass to Fitzgerald), we got the same blitz. We picked it up on the first play, we didn’t pick it up on Max’s first play.”

– Kicker Jay Feely has quietly had a great season. Take away a missed 54-yard field goal (which was straight but short wide left … dang the official scorebook!) and he has made all 15 of his other attempts (and is perfect on 21 extra points). He’s also drilled 14 touchbacks. He deserves Pro Bowl consideration, although I worry the offense may not give him enough opportunities to draw attention from the rest of the league.

– Disappointing Larry Fitzgerald still hasn’t taken that franchise record for catches to himself. He is tied with Anquan Boldin after today. He was targeted 11 times, but ended up with just four catches. He would have been open on the interception thrown by Anderson; Not sure if Anderson thought Fitz would stay straight (Fitz was setting up an up-and-out break) or if he just threw it behind Fitz.

– Darnell Dockett was all over the field Sunday. It was good to see him so dominant. Kerry Rhodes was impressive too. I actually thought Sam Bradford played better in the opener than Sunday, although the Rams didn’t have to get too fancy knowing their own defense was holding down the Cards.

Four games to go.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

90 Responses to “Rams aftermath”

1. By Jedihillis on Dec 5, 2010 | Reply

Not much left to say about this season. It was nice to see the defense play with some energy and heart. Such a shame that our offense is terrible. Now the news is going to start showing the last time we got a touchdown (3 games ago) as their highlight reel.

I’m happy Skelton got a chance to get in and he showed he has some skill. Really hope he gets a chance to start this next Sunday.

2. By James on Dec 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

I hope skelton is going to be the starter! i will gladly stand behind him and back him up i have since we signed him so im excited GOOO Cardinals GOOO Skelton beat broncos!.

3. By cardscat4L on Dec 5, 2010 | Reply

Skelton should definetly start. They need to throw him in the fire and and cut him him loose. If he doesn’t work out then we got the draft. Go Cardinals.

4. By cardsalltheway on Dec 5, 2010 | Reply

Had Ken W. started(element of surprise) John Skelton the Cards would’ve won. Ken just can’t do anything right:( Darren, Sam B. had some receivers to throw to in the first game. That’s no excuse though, he can beat the Cards with almost anyone with D. Anderson and Ken’s first QB picks. Fitz has never felt any continuity with D. Anderson or Max(or is that still Moxy) Hall. I sense that John Skelton will get it going. I was surprised Ken W. didn’t pull John Skelton out of the game after his first pass completion kind of like he demoted John Skelton after he led the team to their 1st preseason game comeback victory.

5. By Storm Byrd on Dec 5, 2010 | Reply

I’m afraid Darnell Dockett is a man playing for a contract. Kind of the way Karlos Dansby played down the run for the Cards last year (particularly his play in the wild card game, didn’t he have a tipped pass the lead to a pick, then a strip, and the game winning fumble recovery score?). Both Dockett and Dansby are solid players but I fear the play picking up is a call for a contract, and honestly, I don’t know if the Cards will open the pocket book for him.

6. By Al from Los Angeles on Dec 5, 2010 | Reply

Well there’s always next year! As much as I love the Cardinals I can’t understand why we suck again! BRING KURT BACK!

7. By cardsalltheway on Dec 5, 2010 | Reply

I thought I heard John Skelton was warming up before Max Hall got hurt?

8. By B on Dec 5, 2010 | Reply

Do you know how hard it is to find people to go with you to a Cardinals game these days?lol Not going through this again next year.Section 405 Seats 11-13 RIP.

9. By AndyStandsUp on Dec 5, 2010 | Reply

Season officially over, might as well start Skelton.
    Darren, coming out of training camp did you see this? I was an optimist with 10-6, but not at best 7-9.
    Is the team going to tank the remainder of the season? Despite player quotes otherwise, I’m not so certain.

10. By Justin on Dec 5, 2010 | Reply

All I can say is painful. I am from Tucson, a season ticket holder, and even took today off from work at the start of the season to go to the game. But, I couldn’t get myself to drive all the way to the east side of phoenix to see the Cardinals humiliated again so my parents got to go to their first games at the new stadium. It was nice to see Skelton get some reps. i would be much more obliged to drive up for the games if we at least got to get a little taste of what Skelton could hold for the future. Go Cards, and please, please, please go out and get me a QB in the off-season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. By cardsalltheway on Dec 5, 2010 | Reply

Yes Ken, when you put a guy out there at QB that really gives you a chance to win the defense will play better b/c they won’t be on the field so many mucho minutes every game. I never doubted the players haven’t tried for the most part, it’s been YOUR fault b/c you’ve forced the players to “rally” behind guys with no hope. You’re not a very good Decider, maybe you should take lessons from George Bush? No thanks for blowing this season, it’s all your fault. Please don’t tell us “John is our guy” next off-season and then demote/cut him in the preseason.

12. By cardsalltheway on Dec 5, 2010 | Reply

Can it be…Has Ken W. woken up from his QB fantasy/dream?

13. By Chad on Dec 5, 2010 | Reply

I’m glad Skelton got a chance to play, especially since we know for certain DA and Hall are not the future. Maybe Skelton is or isn’t, but we won’t know until he plays. I only wish that we could have gotten some more snaps in the game.

One thing is for certain, Skelton gives us fans some hope of a good QB. Where there is no hope for DA or Hall.

14. By brian on Dec 5, 2010 | Reply

does DRC have glass bones because he sure plays like it. He avoids contact like the bidwells avoid spending money. What a waste of a #1 draft pick.

15. By Phoenixraven1 on Dec 5, 2010 | Reply

I have season tickets and the past few games have been so bad for the fans…notice the 12th man hasn’t gotten any false starts? It’s quiet…no one standing…3rd and 3 on defense, no standing!

Bring on Skelton and it felt like HOPE! Maybe short lived I don’t think we’ve bought into him for fear of being let down (max hall) by hype! He’s a rookie and ok sure will have issues but dam it was fun to cheer for a few minutes!

16. By NJAzCardsFan on Dec 5, 2010 | Reply

You had Skelton on the inactive list. Was that changed before game time, in order for him to play?

17. By georgiebird on Dec 5, 2010 | Reply

In analyzing this game let’s be fair. While I agree the defense played with a lot more energy, the Rams played one of those conservative, milk the clock games. On several occasions, the Rams were content to turn the ball over to their defense. The Rams had no sense of urgency to score not even at the end of the game.
    The reason I bring this up is- if the Cardinals can’t properly analyze games, then nothing will ever get done. This was not an impressive defensive effort:
    1) the Ram QB had a 62% completion pct
    2) the Ram lead back had over 4 yds a carry and totaled over 100 yds
    3) the Rams played a very conservative game
    4) this is a lousy Rams team
    So for Whiz to say the defense played well is a big overstatement- what he should have said was “the defense played better than the offense”.
    And someone should officially tell Whiz that Skelton gives the Cardinals the best chance to win.

18. By Pheenic Cromartie on Dec 5, 2010 | Reply

At this point, the anger has gone from me. Earlier in the season, after a loss, I was furious, but now, I really have nothing left to throw at the Cards. Let’s finish the season strong, and draft Andrew Luck/Jake Locker, and go on from there.

I’m glad John Skelton got a chance to play. I was one of the people saying that he shouldn’t start this season, but at this point, he’s the way forward. Evaluate him, see if he’ll be a good backup, and go on from there. Give him time, and I think the goal should be to finish strong. That’s about it, though.

Let’s make this season worth-while at least, and then, in 2011, let’s have a great draft, get us a franchise QB in Lucker (Combination of Luck and Locker), make the right moves, and have a great season! I have a feeling that next season’s going to be good!

19. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Dec 5, 2010 | Reply

We’ll, we better not start choosing next week to win, because the Broncos are also stuck at three wins and also in in the hunt for worst record in the NFL and a top-3 pick in next year’s draft. We’re going to need help form Carolina though. They only have one win this season, and we have them coming up. Hopefully DA will play that entire game, because he gives this team the, “best chance to win.” :lol:

I wonder if Whiz has noticed what changing things up has done for Dallas and Minnesota? By no means am I calling for a coaching change, but Whiz has said repeatedly that changing routine in the middle of the season is not productive, and that they need to keep preparing like they have all season. We’ll, those two teams changed their head coaches – the biggest change a team can make – and the difference has been like night and day for them. Oh yeah, we play Dallas yet this season also.

20. By Andre on Dec 5, 2010 | Reply

Nice to see Skelton. I think he’s going to be good, but it would be even nicer to see Andrew Luck……just sayin.

21. By MattAz on Dec 5, 2010 | Reply

For Christ’s sake would *someone* in a position to do so ask our coach WHY we get 91 yes rushing in the 1st half, or RBs have 8 & 5.5 avg and yet we only run like 3times for 14yds in the 2nd half?!?! I’m tired of the playing from behind BS. 10pts is not a hole where you abandon the run!

Im throwing in the towel on Whiz. Sorry, but I can’t accept an NFL coach that would play a 3rd string QB and have him tossing it around when the running game had been so productive. The guys an idiot. Lose Haley/Warner and this is what u get, a mediocre coach with no cover up as to why the Steelers passed him over.

Now I wish we never had success the last few years, it’d be easier to welcome another loser coach that way.

22. By Chuck 1 on Dec 5, 2010 | Reply

By Darren: “But this team isn’t going winless the rest of the way. They just aren’t, no matter what funk they are in.”

Darren, you lose credibility when you write things like that.

23. By Mikeflorio on Dec 5, 2010 | Reply

Is this season lost? Yes
    Are we gonna 3-peat? No
    Am I glad I didnt re new season tickets this year? Yes
    Am I still sad my favorite player got traded to the ravens? No
    Do we start preparing for the draft? Yes
    Do we need a QB? NO!!!! WE have anderson!!! I just bought his jersey for half price!! Its a shame if I would have waited till the season ends I would have gotten it for free!!
    URB – Do you see a defensive coordinator or offensive coordinator in our future?
    I heard Russ Grimm was getting head coaching looks from the panthers???

24. By Gilbert Card on Dec 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I know we lost again, but there was a big difference in the way the defense played today. They played and fought hard. Did you notice the amazing job Dan Williams did most of the game? I cannot recall how many times he stopped Jackson today. Mike Adams also gave a hell of an effort. I hate losing, but it is easier to swallow it when you see these guys leaving it all in the field. Now…the offensive line…that is a different story, and I am not going to mention the well known QB situation. Keep the good work man.
    Cards: For love of the game, for personal pride, for earning the right and privilege of playing in the NFL: Keep your face up!!! Keep working hard !!! Never give up!!!! GO CARDS!!!

25. By hmmm on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I thought Skelton looked much better than what has been portrayed lately by coach Whiz. What happened to scarring him for life and ruining his career if he played a few snaps. Man, it sure is hard to believe anything that comes out of the mouth of this organization. I just hope Whiz doesn’t proclaim Skelton “Our Guy” then we will know the kid’s future is done with this organization.

26. By Andrew Luck Fan on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I really thought that Dan Williams played his best game, which was encouraging since he was the cards first round draft pick. Since this season is in the tank I hope Williams, Schofield and Daryl Washington get alot more playing time.

27. By azcards24 on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

give skelton a chance. i gave sketon a stading ovation at the game today because now i know whiz is getting frusterated too, and thinkg might start to change

28. By blaxabbath on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I agree with Jedi — I was entertained to see AZ in it for the first half and at least getting to see Skelton in the second half (wishing no health issues for DA or Hall, of course). Sad to say, but here’s hoping we see Luck available for us come draft time.

29. By Luke on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Good to see Skelton get some game time, it’s a pity he is under the wing of Derek Anderson instead of Kurt Warner. No matter how much this team stinks I will always be a Cards fan. Keep up up the good work Darren.

30. By Rob on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Billy Davis needs to go

31. By Rob on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

We need a O.C pls

32. By Rob on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

We need a QB pls

33. By eazy e on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Well, Skelton got to play and even he couldn’t get us out of this funk were in offensively(sarcasm). He did make some nice early throws and then the pressure was just too much. DA was once again ineffective and max was also before separating his shoulder. The running game was on point, Hightower had huge runs and Beanie did also. Fitz tied Q’s record and God willing will break it against the Broncos. Offensive Line had problems all day protecting whoever was in there, partially due to all those blitzes, but we couldn’t punish them for doing that. Poor offensive showing once again, NO TDS!! Defense played a good game. Pressure was a hell of alot better. Dockett was a man amongst boys, seemed like every play #90 was in it even with the bad shoulder. Getting penetration in the running game and qb pressures in the passing game. Calais notched his third sack and looked good and big dan williams made some plays, batted a ball down on a key third down and stuffed the run very well along with our whole D. Our front 7 showed up big-time. Secondary made some plays and Kerry Rhodes has got to be the Defensive MVP for us this year(probably with Lenon). Another Pick and a sack and pass deflections everywhere. Ballin out of control in the back end. Jay Feely should make the pro bowl, dude has been automatic this year with his field goals, extra points, touchbacks and tackles. Larod as usual put us in great field position but as usual we couldn’t capitalize on offense, he also should be in the pro bowl. It is tough to watch sometimes because you really love the team and want them to do well, but man UGH!!!!

34. By ross on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren, as we know I am a huge timmy fan, but it was odd that beanie just disappeared. Its fun to watch them both get rolling, and that’s what was happening. Was it a “hot hand” type deal or was there a reason beanie was persona non grata? Thanks.

35. By LB on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I know it isn’t saying much with the way they’ve played most of the season, but would you agree that Kerry Rhodes was our defensive MVP this year?

36. By TucsonTim on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

52 plays

19 rushes 5.5 avg. per run
    33 passes 4.1 avg. per pass

So let’s blame it on the players failure to execute and missed assignments. The play calling is predictable and pathetic.

37. By CJ on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I feel bad for Hall. He looked bad out there but 90% of that was the Offensive Line simply didn’t protect him and the Rams came at him hard. Didn’t even give him a chance to get rid of the ball in many cases. He showed a lot of effort there though.

Skelton looked good. He made some good reads on blitzes which surprised me since he’s a rookie. Even that Intentional Grounding call showed he saw the blitz coming and tried to get rid of it (though I think that was also a miscommunication with Fitz). I see a lot of potential. Since our Playoff hopes are basically lost, I hope Whiz puts him in a little more to continue and develop him.

The defense finally showed up. Not a perfect defense but definitely better than any other game I can recall this season. Too bad they didn’t have an offense to capitalize on it.

38. By AZCARDSFAN on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

The defense had a few nice plays but still gave up 19 points that the Cards cannot come back from. Once they give up a lead, they are done. The team is done. Even if Red Skelton is the QB he will get killed as the offensive line can’t protect him. Sad. Still a Cards fan, will still watch the games. Only Feely, Graham and Larod deserve to go to the Pro Bowl this year. The rest don’t deserve it. Not even Larry.

39. By reap37 on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Obviously any chance of the playoffs is gone and we still have serious QB issues. It is quite possible we go 3-13 and I’ve emotionally accepted that. That’s more losses in one season that the last two combined. The osses of key players from last years was much more than anyone imagined, especially for the leadership lost. It’s good to see Skelton get a chance and the rest of the season we should see if he’s worth investing in longer term. We already know about AD and Max – both not long term prospects. I’m afraid we’ll get a high draft pick and still not pick the best QB available (please let it be Luck). The Whiz wants a Steeler type team which is running the football and playing great defense, neither of which we do well. Maybe we ought to hire Dick Labeau. I still have no idea who this team is or what the philosophy of play is. Only prayer is offered to figure this whole thing out.

40. By aaaaudio on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Defense did play well against a .500 team… I actually was enjoying a game yesterday which has been hard to do since the offense has been stinking it up this year. It has been hard to stay interested in the Cardinals and frustrating to watch any NFL highlights because whenever it shows the Cards it is a big play being executed AGAINST them!
    do you think both Max Hall and DA will get cut off next years roster? How about Faneca and and any other line guys? I really think Levi Brown has had enough time and hasn’t shown us he is worthy.

41. By BMH on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I’m glad skelton got some opportunity out there to play today. His presence in the pocket is much better than DA or Hall…Hall is just to short and the OL lineman are making it difficult for him to throw…not his fault for being short. I’d like to see Skelton take the reins for the last couple of games to see if we have a quialfied QB.. Whiz just keeps sooting him down..and i don’t understand his philosphy.

42. By john m on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren
    Maybe it was just me but the Rams seemed to overload the left side of the line when it brought pressure. Is it just me or is it obvious that Brown and Faneca can’t deal with the blitz without a chip from a back or a tight end. How many drives have been lost due to a free rusher getting to the qb. They almost got Hall and Skelton killed and it has been the same way all season. No time to throw. Prior to the season starting the coaches said they were going to roll out Leinart to avoid the rush and give him some time. I have not seen too many times when that has happened. The way they have allowed Bradford to develop with roll outs and check downs should have been the way Hall and hopefully Skelton can be allowed progress. He is an athletic guy with speed so they need to run and throw to the tight ends. Any word on offensive line changes or is Faneca a “sacred cow” ?

43. By Wampag on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

D- why do they not let Skelton play the next 4 to see if we have a QB before the draft…our playoff run is officially over what do you think they will do?

44. By Old Man Riva on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I am in my pre-Kurt Warner mode of hoping the Cards don’t win another game so they will get to draft their messiah. Ha…good luck considering that only happens about once every 20 seasons. This season is history and very disappointing. Anderson’s a clown, Hall is a midget and who knows about Skelton. Wells is a no show as is Adrian Wilson. DRC is pretending he is still in college covering mediocre receivers and our “D” likes to celebrate when they manage to stop a team on 2nd down (said team then either converts on 3rd or scores). Speaking of “D”, do we have any linebackers? The Whiz isn’t and our DC is playing the invisible man role. The Bidwill family will have a Merry Christmas rejoicing over the fact they dumped thousands/millions of dollars in salary and still got a sellout every Sunday. That’s it for this year. Hope all you diehard Big Red fans have a wonderful holiday season and I’ll see you next year. Think summer.

45. By Darthcard on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

If Skelton didn’t play my blood would be boiling for a week after this loss. The rams absolutely stink. Yet the cards stink worse. I’m not sure what was worse losing to the lambs or the fact that a few thousand people that live in AZ chose the rams as their team. When I see lamb fans hootin and hollering in the stadium I question wether the cardinals should find a new place of residency.

46. By Cardsfan on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Well the seasons lost, we play for pride now, and to get Skelton some experience, I wish him luck, and another thing it really amazes me how crappy Anderson plays

47. By bluepitt on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Well at this point, I hope I was not wrong about the 5-11 record prediction I made after we let leinfart go.. I would hate to see us go 3-13….. I find it funny how after skell’s first 2 passes I found my self hooting and flipin out like we won the SB!!!!

48. By joe67 on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I hope now everyone realizes it isn’t just a q b problem. We have maybe the worst O-line in the league. They did to our young qb’s, (Hall/Skelton) what we wanted to do to their qb in the opener, but we couldn’t get the job done like they did.
    Good for Skelton. Hope he gets to start, only if this line can figure a way to protect him. And, think about the fact that Grimm is supposed to be one of the best O-line coaches around, so that even makes our line seem worse!!
    Still room to go 7-9 and build a little hope for next year.

Darren, question. Who decides when a timeout is going to be a 30 second timeout or a regular timeout??
    Thanx

49. By AZkidinJAX on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Looks like we found ourselves a QB!!! Darren, any chance we could go back to 4-3, draft a MLB with cover skills to free up Wilson?

50. By jocards on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Well at least it didn’t appear that the effort was lacking on Sunday, that’s about all I can say in support of this team. I do believe they are the worst team in the NFL and that is quite a fall from winning playoff games two seasons in a row. Man it hurts. The QB situation is so bad that fans are fired up about a 5th round draft pick from Fordham getting in the game. Skelton did show he has a strong arm on a couple of throws though. I don’t see this team winning another game this season, 3-13 is a real possibility. Releasing Leinart on the eve of the regular season and going with Anderson was a mistake and I’m certain the coaching staff and FO realize it now. I don’t know if any of us realized just how bad a decision it would turn out to be. I’m NOT saying Leinart is a great QB but he is certainly better than DA and he was groomed to be the starting QB for this team. Anderson has been even worse then expected, Hall went undrafted for a reason and now we’ll likely see Skelton. I hope he does well but he is a project and we aren’t going to win much with him this season. The dark days have returned for this franchise and unfortunately that is all the franchise has known throughout it’s long history save for the last couple of seasons….It is so difficult to watch.

51. By Keith on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Man, I did NOT see this kind of season coming. Seems unreal to me still.

52. By jdcrow59 on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren: Saw alot of maybe with Skelton. I think it’s time to give him the rest of the season and see how he progresses. If he can play, then perhaps other needs could be filled early in the draft. There should be quality QB’s available during the off season to start or hopefully back up Skelton. Just please no more Anderson. The next time he looks off a DB will be the first time he looks off a DB. All this time in the league and he still just doesn’t get it.The sequence of plays for Hall was an absolute joke. But why would we expect anything else. Nice to see the D pick it up a little. Been a long time.

53. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Storm —

RE: Dockett contract

Um … http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-1/Dockett-Signs-Extension/f481e561-9380-4b54-ac60-45d4e03bf659

54. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Cardsall —

RE: Skelton warming

He was slowly getting loose. But if he was told Anderson was done (and if they were going to check for a concussion, he was done), then he was probably just getting loose because he was officially the backup at that point. And it turned out, he was needed.

55. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Rest of the season

I’m through trying to predict anything for this season.

I saw this as an 8-8 or 9-7 team. I didn’t see the offense struggling this much to score.

56. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Chuck —

RE: Credibility

You disagree with almost everything I say, so why change now?

57. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Mikeflorio —

RE: Coaches

I do think there is a strong chance there will be staff changes in the offseason. As for Grimm, we will see. Talking to people I know in Carolina, I’m not sure Grimm is as hot of a candidate as reported.

58. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Ross —

RE: RBs

I am guessing it was a combo of hot hand and the fact it looked like Tim was stronger in pass protection.

59. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

LB —

RE: Defensive MVP

I think Kerry has a strong case.

60. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

NJAzCards —

RE: Skelton inactive/3rd QB

The rule is the third QB is on the inactive list. He can play, but if he plays in the first three quarters, the other two QBs cannot play again in the game.

61. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

aaaudio —

RE: Roster changes

I’m not sure yet. I think it’ll be hard to bring Derek back. I’d need to see what other QBs they go after. As for the rest of the roster, that’ll be something I write about soon enough. I’d expect turnover on the roster, but you can’t just dump everyone, especially since this offseason will be crazy if there is a lockout.

62. By cards62 on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

So Cardinal fans which is worse our offense or defense?
    I vote offense which means our OC has to be fired before our DC.

The only game we have a prayer of winning is Carolina. Reason being
    Carolina has the second worse grouping of quarterbacks in the NFL behind our beloved but stupid Cardinals. Derek Anderson 7 of 20 after a horrible season and Coach Whiz finally sees that there is something wrong with him, and we need to change things. Hello my name is Forrest, Forrest Gump..

Max (hey guys I am really only 13 years old and in middle school) Hall is a complete waste and it would be laughable except for he plays for my team and I fear he is going to get killed.

John (not ready to be a prime time player according to our QB guru Ken WHisenhunt) Skelton actually threw the ball, but I guess the Rams must have put in their 3rd string guys.

Play Skelton the rest of the seaon and run the ball with Beanie and Tim. We have scored 12 points the last 2 games. Does anyone think our offense will be any worse if we run first and play action pass with Skelton? If Skelton goes down or has a bad game put in Chris Miller.

I still do not expect any more wins and I do not want any more wins as this season was wasted in the preseason so now my only hope is 2011 draft and free agency.

Darren I do agree with you that DD game to play Sunday and this was very good to see. Why Darren do you think he finally played well ?

Thank you and please wake me up when it is Draft day so that me and my Cardinals can be like peas and carrots again. Steve

63. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

John M —

RE: Offensive line

I do not expect any offensive line changes at this point in the season.

64. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Wampag —

RE: Skelton

I will be surprised if he does not play.

65. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

joe67 —

RE: Timeouts

That’s a television thing, based on what the timeout is called for and the need for a commercial break (usually, if a team is calling timeout not for strategy but to just stop the clock, it is a 30-second TO).

66. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

AZkidinKJAX —

RE: Defense/QB

I expect the Cards to stay with a 3-4, but I could be wrong.

And let’s hold off on anointing Skelton just yet.

67. By MikeG on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren–Tough game yesterday. We just can’t seem to score touchdowns when needed. Coming up with 3 points will get you beat. I thought when Kerry Rhodes got the pick we would score– but coming up empty killed us. I wish we would have ran more in the second half as we had 91 yards in the first. I thought Dan Williams had some big plays. At this point we should just play Skelton–see what he has. I don’t think Anderson and Hall will be with us next year. My biggest concern with Hall is his size and his ability to talke a hit. Defense played better—With our D struggling most of the year–Who do you think has played the best on that side of the ball???? Rhodes????

68. By Chuck 1 on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Re: Disagreement

I think that you mistake me for Casey and some others who chide and disagree with you all the time.

I just think that, the way the Cards have been and are playing, it is HIGHLY unlikely that they will win any more games this year.

Do I hope that they will? Absolutely.

69. By beenwithufromthebeginning on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I actually walked out of the Stadium.. with my head held High instead of feeling like our team was once again CRAP… Yes we lost but with the Rookie in we actually saw a glimmer of hope.. and for once the fans were cheering and applauding and even with losing.. we felt like someone listened to us.. Skelton was a little of hope we were looking for.. and our Defense was in the game.. they responded and acted liked they cared Sun… thanks Cardinals for not giving up.. sure its nice to win.. but the best thing about Sun was seeing my team FIGHT and REALLY pull together.. I can take the loss without having them not fight together for a win… no matter what CARDINALS WE BELIEVE..

70. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

MikeG —

RE: Defense

As I mentioned earlier, I do think Rhodes deserves consideration as the “best” defender this season.

71. By matt on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Umm..storm, Dockett already has a new contract

72. By MikeG on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren– I really think Whiz feels he could have gotten more out of Derek Anderson than he has. I think Derek has never proven to be able to handle a blitz. His best year with Cleveland was when he had Jamaal Lewis as his back and I think he rushed for 1300 yards that year. He can’t carry the load by himself and needs a star back to succeed. I think the word around the league
    was to bltz him as much as possible and rattle him. That led to his demise in Cleveland and probably will doom him in Arizona. Barring a lockout– I see the Card’s keeping Skelton, picking up a veteran backup, and drafting a QB in the first or second round. I was hoping we could have traded for Tavaris Jackson from Minny before training camp –I think he has gotten a raw deal with the Vikes—I think we could have gotten him cheap while they were dealing with the Brett Farve circus. Your thoughts????

73. By chris freeman on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I wouldnt say as bad as an offensive line as mush as Arizona horrible play at the Tackle position. the fron three of the line do a good job, in my eyes sendlyn is still a top Center, Lutui can be better, and Feneca is still playing well. but most of the pressure is on teh outside, and as you saw in sundays game, when the TE are not staying out to aid in the blocking with the T’s defences have free reighn on the ouside rush. Warner quick release was for that, and like ive said the past few years, you dont see mush litzing coming up the middle, its on the outside when they get to the QB. Arizona should just stay in a two WR set for the rest of the year until we can bring in new Tackles that can perform every down not just a good series or two. until then it doesnt matter what QB come sin , they can develope or play when the pocket only lasts 1 sec . look at manning this year.

74. By TBru on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Has Anderson been released yet?

75. By Ditship on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I don’t know what the ticket situation is for this game this weekend but I would imagine it might not be a sellout.. Name Skelton the starter and the game will sell out. Just because people will be excited about watching something new.

76. By jocards on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Wow, talk of holding one’s head high because the team tried on Sunday amazes me. This is the NFL! The Cardinals are terrible. This is a franchise that has back to back seasons during which they’ve won a playoff game…this season’s version is nothing to hold one’s head up over. I’m sorry for being negative but this is not high school or even college football where perhaps effort, pulling together, fighting through adversity, building character, etc. are the some of the goals. These are professionals that are getting whipped every single week & their play is nothing to be satisfied with…Oh, they didn’t quit. Well that’s good to know! I do agree that the team seemed to show more effort yesterday then they did on MNF but trying or not they were again dominated by an average or worse team. Things are bad, very bad!

77. By trigidy on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Lets Draft A.J Green Free up Fitz on the Over-Under ,An give John Skelton another Big Weapon!! Lets go BigRed!

Ps. Whiz what where u thinking?? Skelton gives us the best chance to Win not DA’

Too bad it took u til week 12 for u too Figure it out!!

78. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Keith. how did you not see this coming? Everybody should have known the Cardinals were going to be terrible this season, they kept only 5 of our star players that got us to the superbowl and let all the others go, and relaced them with half ass talent, I didnt even expect the Cardinals to have a winning season, by the way, did you guys see Boldin last night? I sure did, just think, what if he was still in AZ?

79. By wheele27 on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

People on here keep talking about drafting Andrew Luck and everything going back to 2008.
    What folks need to understand is that Andrew Luck is a very talented kid, but his success and winning percentage can be attributed mostly to a fundementally sound team and great coaches. The Cardinals have neither.

Instead of praying that we get Luck, pray that we fire Bill Davis, draft some solid O-line men and young defensive players who can actually tackle, and John Skelton can learn the offense and capitalize on his physical gifts we saw Sunday.

Darren: Do you attribute DA’s struggles more to a lack of NFL quality talent, or mental error, aka not beleiving in one’s own ability? We’ve all seen the MNF press conference, but I’ve heard that he is generally a good guy, what do you think of him, personality wise?

80. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

MikeG —

RE: TJackson

Childress liked Tavaris a lot so he wasn’t going anywhere. I think he is supposed to be a free agent, though.

81. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Wheele —

RE: DA

I think he believes in himself. And obviously he has to have talent to have made it to this level. I just don’t think he is good enough on a consistent basis. And I do believe his makeup makes him better suited as a backup, when the pressure of starting isn’t weighing on him.

82. By D ryans on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I am a season ticket holder in 115 next the the visiting teams tunnel. I have had it with opposing fans flooding my section at the end of the game and being harrassed in our own stadium. I can’t imagine going to Pittsburg, Oakland or pretty much anywhere else in the NFL and hoopin it up like the opposing fans do here. The Cardinal games over the years have been a safe home away from home game for other fans to come and cheer on their teams. It’s time that AZ fans (suns, d-backs and expecially Cardinals) put down their cafe lattes, pick up their beers and start knockin some heads around. As for myself, I would rather spend a night in the big house than be disrespected in my own home. RISE UP RED SEA and quit giving or selling your tickets to your buddies to come see THEIR TEAM play. Noboby sits in my seats without Cardinal Red, PERIOD.

83. By CaliCard on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Was at the game yesterday and the defense looked like it held up for most of the game. Seemed like the players dropped of their intensity with about 6 minutes left to play. I contribute that to Whisenhunt calling for punts on the last 2 possessions of the game. Don’t know why with the game on the line you don’t go for the win. Seems like Whisenhunt is more concerned about preventing the blowout instead of going for the win. That or he’s blowing games to keep our draft standing high. Not sure we’ll get Andrew Luck (or?)with Buffalo and Cincinnati both needing a QB and having a higher draft status at this point.

84. By Magee on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I thought the defense looked better and some big plays were made. Passes dropped by Wells and Hightower were killers because there was big ground to be gained. QB has to get ball in vicinity of reciever and Anderson is NOT getting the job done.
    Hall looked like I was back there taking snaps. When defense did their job the offense did not respond with what we needed. I can’t see Anderson in Cardinal camp next year and I’m starting to wonder about Beanie Wells.

85. By mrUTman on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I love the Cards be a fan for many years (Since Boomer was QB) been through tuff seasons but OH MY GOD this is the toughest. I sadly have given up this year i am already googles draft day predictions and articles.

86. By Chuck 1 on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Add: Disagreement

The ones that I disagree with are the Bidwills, Graves, Whiz, his coaches and the Scouting Department, who have put the players and fans in a no-win situation that will probably last several years unless they do a complete about face
    (which I sincerely doubt will happen).

87. By John Staszkiewicz on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

II am a Cardinal from St Louis, they were the team I grew up with and they are still my team. Sunday I was at least hoping for a win in this frustrating season, since I can not stand that lousy weak Rams team that should not even be in St Louis. The quarterback situation was a question mark coming into the season but when you look at the Cardinals on both sides of the ball they should not be 3-9. I believe the talent is much better than any team in the NFC West. I look forward to the Cardinals again being at the top of their division next year

88. By SeeingRed on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Waste of excellent seasons for Hyphen, Feeley, Hightower etc…sad really.

Anyway, can Max Hall just go away now? The guy looks like a child out there trying to play with men. He just looks ridiculous. He’s not gonna be another Brees so get over it. He may make a decent HS coach some day (no disrespect to any coach out there).

Didn’t expect to see JS come in but glad he did. I was applauding from my couch. Wasn’t sure if him playing now was a good idea but I guess there was no choice. What the heck is wrong with the coaching staff saying over and over that he isn’t ready?? The kid looked good-he had good poise, strong/accurate arm..also like the fact that he wants to show through his play and not his mouth.

Love Whiz but someone please tap him on shoulder and tell him he has two backs(3 really with L-Rod) that are very good and he is wasting them. Again, Hall can’t see over the O-Line and couldn’t throw it even if he could yet he immediately starts Hall with pass plays…

89. By Justin Wheeler on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

It’s interesting to look at DA’s stats from his Pro Bowl year. Still an embarassing completion percentage, but 29 touchdowns, and 19 interceptions. The key to the Brown’s 10-6 record despite DA’s bad play? A tough defense and receivers who were on the same page with Anderson. We had neither, it was stupid thinking Derek Anderson would pan out.

2. Dec 6, 2010: Top Posts — WordPress.com