• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.
  • Sat., May. 24, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp

Skelton’s immediate future

Posted by Darren Urban on December 6, 2010 – 5:22 pm

John Skelton heard the cheers.

Max Hall had gone down with what turned out to be a bad shoulder injury, and Skelton donned his helmet for the first time since the regular-season started and, during the injury timeout, went on the field to take a few quick snaps from center Lyle Sendlein. He hadn’t been able to do much of that. And the crowd erupted.

“I heard them,” Skelton said. “It is nice to hear them cheering for you like that, but I haven’t really done anything on the field yet. Time will tell.”

If Skelton is anything, he is even-keeled and realistic, at least outwardly. He has been hoping for his chance, but he isn’t about to predict greatness. You can tell he has a belief, but he isn’t about to make any bold pronouncements. That’s probably for the best.

“I think I have the capability of playing at this level,” Skelton said, before repeating himself. “Time will tell.”

Less than a week ago, coach Ken Whisenhunt said Skelton would only play because of injury. That’s what happened Sunday when everything was said and done. And it could get Skelton a start. Whisenhunt wasn’t exactly saying Skelton was his pick for the rest of the season, though. Maybe it’s because Skelton still isn’t ready – which the coaches have maintained for the entire season – and maybe they see the way Hall was batted around during his playing time and don’t want the same for Skelton.

The Cards seem likely to sign someone – reports of Redskins castoff/UFL QB Richard Bartel as the option have been prevalent, and he did go 10-for-12 with a TD for the Redskins against the Cards in this season’s preseason finale – and Whiz didn’t rule out such a player starting.

Whisenhunt talking about seeing anything out of Skelton this season as “bonus” also makes me wonder how much Whiz wants this to happen at this point. The coach emphasized Skelton excites him for the future, which to me means he’s going to be around even if he didn’t play/show anything.

“I’m very pleased with how he handled himself in that game yesterday,” Whisenhunt said. “Especially against a team that blitzes the way they did. (I liked) the fact he was able to make some throws. But by no means do I think he is ready to play.”

That’s a strong statement. Skelton as starter still seems logical. But we will see how it manifests itself going forward.

Tags: ,

80 Responses to “Skelton’s immediate future”

1. By SC Tyler on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, I like the video layout that now can be played on the main screen.

In addition, I have hopes for Skelton. He looked ok in his brief appearance. I hope to see more of him the rest of the season. Instead of signing that other QB, how about signing a damn offensive line.

2. By Tyler Brown on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Go Skelton! Hope you start the rest of the season!

3. By Chris on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

At what point do we have to start thinking that Whiz is a bad evaluator of talent, readiness and potential? Either that or he’s eternally optimistic (see: completely delusional) about our team’s chances this year.

Max Hall is not an NFL quarterback. He’s the size of a jockey, with nearly equivalent arm strength. He’s got heart, but guys long on heart and short on physical gifts play in the AFL or UFL. Anderson isn’t the long term solution. It could be argued (quite successfully) that he’s not the short term solution, either.

At 3-8, I think Skelton deserves an extended look in the last 5 games so that the Cardinals know if they’re going to need to draft Cam Newton or Andrew Luck with the 4-6th pick if available, or be able to go after the best available player to help the team.

I am also questioning Whiz’s play calling yesterday as well. They ran the ball with great success the first quarter and then nearly abandoned it completely. Very frustrating all around.

4. By Scott H on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Well…we’ve got nowhere to go but up, that’s for sure. We’ve got 4 games left in a lost season. Let’s do something worthwhile with them. Note to coach Whiz – that would mean NOT starting Derek Anderson again!

5. By Potter on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

We know what we have in DA. I say start him and really see what we have in Skelton. If he shows promise it could save us from possibly “wasting” a top 5 pick or an early 2nd round pick on an unproven college qb.

6. By Justin on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Aside from the intentional grounding call, i think Skelton looked pretty decent for his first NFL showing. He seems to bring something to the table that Max doesn’t in terms of pocket poise. I’m not sure if throwing him into the fire that is a losing season is the way to break him into the organization, but I can see him really learning for next year. In turn, live by the sword, die by the sword for this season. keep starting Derek Anderson and keep Skelton injury free. A long offseason of practice and studying will go a long way with Skelton.

7. By Paul on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Well well well, I see that Denver fired their head coach. Know what that means. The good ship lollipop will come to the rescue next weekend. Denver players will be more ready to play then they have been in weeks. Our guys? I’m not sure.

8. By brian on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

This organization is having major problems with developing players. DRC has regressed along with half the team and the mental strength reminds me of a bunch of teenagers. If something goes wrong they fall to pieces like cheap toilet paper. I believe if you are physically gifted enough to be drafted the mental strength and work ethic is what seperates you from the rest.

9. By Rick on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I’d rather see Skelton than Bartel I know that!

10. By Phoenixraven1 on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I realize we aren’t coaches and don’t see what coaches see but come on! He came in and completed three good passes, mental errors on the others! How can he not be ready? We have seen worse from DA/Hall all season! At least he seemed to have pocket presence.

For Wiz to say he’s not ready to play blows me away. As a fan I want to win too but also I like HOPE. Because I can watch a loss as long as I have hope for something better. The D gave me some hope on Sunday. The DA/Hall debacle was outrageous and crushed that until Skelton came in…walking out of the stadium wasn’t so bad after maybe seeing something bright.

11. By Eric on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Just do it Whiz! No one want to see DA out there.

12. By sean p on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Oh man, this just stinks of some cast of being signed and throwing them in there. Sigh, so we take someone out of left field who doesn’t know the players or the system and throw him in there because the guy that does know the system and the players “Isn’t ready”. Well…. you know what, Anderson wasn’t ready, Hall wasn’t ready, so I can not really trust Whisenhunt’s judgement on this. Man needs to take a step back from himself and his ego, look at the whole situation subjectively. So far it seems he was way too determined to keep Anderson in, to prove he was right, when everyone else told him it would fail. Well, they were right, Anderson wasn’t the answer, he failed, granted the rest of the team hasn’t done well either.

If he signs some random player and throws him in there, just to keep Skelton out of the lineup cause he “isn’t ready” its going to look really bad, “isn’t ready” vs. “doesn’t know the system or players”.

13. By Phoenixraven1 on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Don’t they practice tomorrow? Wouldn’t they new to name the #1 qb? I really think the cards will be hurting in the season ticket holder category next year, this is all just ridiculous…

14. By WHIZFORPRESIDENT on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

We all want skelton as the starter. he came in and made some big plays nice throws and also seems a little mobile, a factor in which the cardinals need BAD! he’s no allstar yet but i believe that he should get a chance to play unlike our last quaterback 1st round draft pick. do you agree darren?

15. By Kyler Wright on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I beleive John Skelton is the cardinals savior wizenhunt needs too demote Anderson and hall and make Skelton start if he continues with the anderson experiment he will most likely end up like the Vikings cowboys or broncos head coach FIRED!!!

16. By Alexander Ioannidis on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I have been looking forward to him all year! Go skelton!

17. By McNab's future on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

A fan’s recommendation:
    Cards: a man respects his job. A man is defined based on what he does. Team, you need to do your job. This job is a job which helps you to put meals on the table for your family. Please, cards show me some games like East coast style. I have a dream one day to see a game from cards like Baltimore vs. sttlers style. A man fights for two most items: for protection his family/childre/wife/significan other/, and his job. PLEASE, CARDS RESPECT YOUR JOB. I know every team doesn’t win all the time, but show your fan passion and determination. I wish I was the fan of Deteroit Lion. The Lions fight even though they have problems to finish in a productive way. Cards, if you do your job that it takes to win. Please, don’t expect a win gift from the blue sky. Even God says. “Do your best I shall help you.” DO YOUR BEST CARDS. SAHME ON YOU ROSTER 53

18. By CaliCard on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I think by default Whisenhunt has to put in Skelton as no one has any confidence that Anderson or Hall give the Cardinals, “…the best chance to win.” That tired old line is done. Whisenhunt should take notice of what the Broncos did to Josh McDaniels today and realize that fans and owners only have so much patience with coaches and their poor decisions.

19. By georgiebird on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

If the 49ers had the season expected (10-6 or 11-5 or better), we wouldn’t be having any of these intense discussions. The 49ers were picked by many to be a top 3 team in the NFC, and I believe Whiz (and everyone else) got caught up in the 49er hype.
    Once the 49ers bombed, it was open season on Whiz.
    This year, the fans have had the benefit of hindsight and in prior years Whiz had the benefit of Warner.
    Let’s hope everyone learns from the Cards and 49ers- Bad coaching and bad QB play will get you a very disappointing season.
    Whiz should hire Singletary as his DC.

20. By Alex on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Ugh. What annoys me is fans who claim that a QB can’t do anything. Anderson did well for us. Our D and our O line won’t help him. Everyone is saying Max Hall is horrible. Look at him. He beat the New Orleans Saints for us. Without him we would be 2-10 right now. Give him that credit.

21. By georgiebird on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

On another subject-
    I’m very interested in the Jet-Pats game from this standpoint. This week, the Jets lost the “brains” of their defense in Jim Leonhard. While Leonhard does not have great physical tools, he is a super smart player and calls the defensive signals.
    The Cardinals might watch this development because a Jim Leonhard type player could be a welcome addition to a mixed-up Cardinal defense. A DC would help, too.

22. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Now is a good time to really focus on the run game and a lot of short, high-percentage play-action passes and build Skelton’s confidence while keeping him upright all while putting some miles on his tires. As long as he doesn’t think he has to do it all himself, and is accurate, I think Whiz can get him through this year w/o any major setbacks.

23. By Jesse on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Well, can’t get much worse can it? Might as well see what Skeltons got. In the tiny sampling we got he did look natural in the pocket.
    I think we should play him and sign the FA to replace Hall in case Skelton turns out to be a dud too.
    Sound good?

24. By Earl Schalin on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

We were at the game Sunday, and we thought that Skelton gave the team an emotional lift. He preformed well considering the situation. He had a confident approach to being on the field even under the circumstances. A confidence we have not seen in the other two quarterbacks.

It appeared the Cardinals future started Sunday even if the coach is concerned that Skelton is not as ready as he would like. It was not long ago when the coach had trouble recognizing that Warner (a Hall of Farmer) should be his starter.

If I played for the Cardinals, I would be very discussed that the coached took so long to figure out Leniert and Anderson. I say to go with Skelton he could be your man. The team will play hard for him.

25. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

WhizFor –

RE: Skelton

I would play him, yes. But I am not the coach.

26. By Pheenic Cromartie on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I hope this doesn’t stop the Cardinals from drafting Andrew Luck or Jake Locker. Those two are great players who could possibly become franchise QB’s, and we just can’t let a franchise QB slip through our fingers.

Andrew Luck is a long shot for us to get, but Jake Locker may not be. Both are talented, and we need to draft one of them, regardless of how John Skelton performs (Unless the extraordinary happens and he throws for 10 TD’s, no picks, and 1,000 yards before the season ends).

27. By azcards24 on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

darren i dont know if you’ve been asked this yet but if you were a coach what would you do? what do you think should be done between now and 2011? -thanx

28. By georgiebird on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

The Patriots game is proof that it’s ALL in the coaching. The Pats are playing with real midgets on offense and they are making the Jets look sick. There is no doubt in my mind that Max Komar could be catching 5-10 passes a game with the Pats. When the Cardinals let him go, it will be interesting if the Pats get him.
    And someone will say it’s all Brady- but Brady had nothing to do with rebuilding the Pats defense three times over. The Cards’ fan cry about losing Dansby-a non pro bowler- while the Pats have lost so many all-pros over the past several years.. One bright note- Dan Williams is the exact same size as the Pats All-Pro NT Vince Wilfork.
    I hope Whiz dedicates himself to watching Patriot football.

29. By brian on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I hate to bring up Leniert but last time I heard coach Wiz was not a fan of Rothlesburger and had problems with him. Big ben turned out to OK, two rings. What does this say about his QB evaluating skills??????????

30. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

azcards24 –

RE: My solution

Well, I am not a coach and don’t pretend to be one. My opinion would be to play Skelton. As for QB, I’d want to see where I am drafting and who is available, but I wouldn’t be adverse to drafting a QB early and also picking up a veteran.

31. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Georgie –

RE: Patriots

You are right, the Patriots have rebuilt their defense. And its hard to argue anyone but Belichick isn’t the best coach in the league.

But a lot of it is Brady. Hands down.

32. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Brian –

RE: Whiz and Ben

It wasn’t that Whiz didn’t like Roethlisberger. I think he thought he should work harder. I don’t think, in that time frame, he would have been the only one to think Ben hadn’t matured.

33. By Big Red on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Skelton will take away the misery from this season. Let’s just pray and hope that this is the player we’ve been asking for after HF Warner left the team. Skelton just play your game, relax, enjoy and have fun. Remember that saying a couple of years back. In whiz we trust, well now its in Skelton we trust.

34. By kauaicardsfan on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Just entertaining a thought but would we consider the idea of hiring josh Mcdaniels as a OC for the future? I mean even though he wasnt a good coach he did a pretty good job as an OC while he was at the Pats?
    Just entertaining the idea……Not sure if our offensive schemes are totally different but watching the Pats offense tonight just make you wish it was the Cards doing that out there…..:(

35. By Adam on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

If Belichick isn’t the best coach in the League I don’t know who is . The Patriots defense just held the Jets Offense to 3 points and that wasn’t Tom Brady. If he isn’t the best coach in the NFL he has to be the smartest and the most respected. Isn’t that the best?? The Patriots went 11-5 without Tom Brady.. You left that out my good man. WHo is th best then???

I know Whisenhunt isn’t even thought of when you think of the Best or Smartest coaches in the NFL. We all can agree with that one. And you can too Darren. Whisenhunt doesn’t maximize his players talents like Belichick does nor does he know how to game plan a team in a big game. Nor does he know how to bring in the right coaches for the job. Nor does he know how to make decisions. Nor does he know how to evaluate talent. Whisenhunt is an offensive coordinator at best.. and he is just like Romeo Crennel.

They just said that today on ESPN radio and I have been saying that all year. Everybody wants to be a leader but know one wants to do what leaders do to be one. Leaders are made not born. That means anyone can be a good leader if they have the determination to be one. Whisenhunt is too passive to be a true leader. Listen to me people. This is the realest stuff I ever wrote.

36. By AndyStandsUp on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Off topic thought- Last 4 games feature teams whose coaches who have been fired or on the hot seat: Broncos, Panthers, Poopkickers and 49ers.

Any chance of Whiz being added to the list? At this point, and I’m not agreeing with the trend, anything’s possible.

37. By Adam on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Who the heck is coach Raich????

That will answer my question about Whiz hiring his buddy as linebackers coach who everyone knows was not qualified for the job and doesn’t know what he is doing. It’s the little things that make teams great. And hiring this guy is just a string of irresponsible and thoughtless decisions Whiz has made. Great teams are built from the inside out. When Russ Grimm leaves he (Whiz) will probably hire the janitor from Pittsburgh to coach O-line because he was his buddy too. C’mon Son!

Sad leadership.. You know I’m right Darren. But we’ll keep the glass half full.
    Go Cards!!! Beat the Broncos!!!

38. By georgiebird on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Denver is not a bad team-they have played a tough schedule and do have some impressive wins and a couple of tough losses.
    I think that Bowlen fired McDaniels when he did since it wouldn’t look good to fire him after a probable victory against the Cardinals.
    So Skelton won’t have anything but a tough game on his hands. I hope he does well while the game is close. If the game gets out of hand, it will be better to pull him and put in Bartels (if signed).
    No one is giving the OL credit for the 7+ yds per carry against Rams- are the Rams that bad?

39. By Gary Stevenson on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren, so Josh Mcdaniels was fired today and had lost 17 of the last 22
    Wiz has lost 13 of his last 22. Out of the 9 wins of the 22 games, in 2009 2 wins came against a horrid 1-15 Rams team and 1 win against 2-14 Detroit Lion team. The bottom line is that Wiz won 4 more games than J.MD did in denver and 3 of his wins were slam dunk wins against teams with some of the worse records in the last decade in the NFL. NOW is the time to AXE the WIZ!! The owners need to not except losing and fire the coaches! This is what Dallas did and now Denver! These are franchises who wont let you be a looser on their watch! Will this attitude ever flow into the Arizona Cardinals front office? We all hope so!

40. By cardsalltheway on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Below is about the most idiotic statement I’ve ever heard from a coach(Ken W.), all things considered…
    “(I liked) the fact he was able to make some throws. But by no means do I think he is ready to play.”
    Ken W. is the biggest confidence killer going.

41. By cardsalltheway on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Alex,
    Max Hall knows how to get himself hurt, hate a whole group or thousands of people due to the actions of a very few, and that’s about it. Simply put, he’s too scrawny/pencil neck to succeed in the NFL.

42. By cardsalltheway on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Head Coaching 101 — Don’t initiate a QB controversy(sies) — That seems to be the only thing Ken W. knows how to do.

43. By Chuck 1 on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Unfortunately, I don’t believe that Graves, Whiz and the Scouting Department can evaluate talent well enough to effect the massive revamping of the roster that will be necessary for the 2011 season. And yes, I do believe that the current roster does NOT have the talent that a lot of Card fans think exists.

I don’t understand why Graves drafts so many small school players when major conference players compete against much better competition.

44. By Eric Schuster on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

DA is a Veteran and can play decent, but makes mistakes. Max Hall is a rookie and has alot against him and that shows in alot of his bad decisions, someday he might be a good QB but he is going to need time to get over his limitations. Skelton has a cannon for an arm and a good head on his shoulders, he is also tall enough to see down the feel and make good decisions. With just afew snaps leading up to this last game with the first team he was able to make two big passes to Fitz and Breaston respectively. I think he deserves his shot, the season has been lackluster and as much as id like to see us get into the playoffs I dont expect it, and I think we owe it to Skelton to possibly start grooming him into our future QB. I just wish he was around a season ago so that all of Kurt Warners talent and experience could have brushed off onto him instead of Lienart (what a waste).

45. By Chach on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

How do you think Skelton and the offense would progress with Josh McDaniels as an O.C.?

46. By az1965 on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

We can always trade for Leinart… he knows the system ;)

47. By az1965 on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Seriously… I don’t want to see another snap taken by DA. I will just puke. He is a disgrace to the game of football. I’m hoping the concussion results are positive otherwise our brilliant coach may continue to play him. I would rather see a UFL QB Bartel if the coach does not want to play Skelton. This is how bad he is.

48. By Steve on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Whiz has made every wrong move this year, not starting Skelton would be just another poor decision in a year where whiz’s ego has cost this team.

49. By kc on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Does Whisenhunt think Skelton is that mentally fragile that he won’t handle the pressure of starting as a rookie? If that is the case we wouldn’t want him anyway and why bother drafting a guy like that. I can’t believe that is the case, he can’t be much worse than the worst QB combination this side of Carolina.

I have to really question Whisenhunts decisions on personnel moves, staff selections, playcalling this season…I hope it is just a bump in the road and he learns from it and moves on next season.

50. By Dick Buroker on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Please play Skelton. DA and Hall are only demoralizing the rest of the team and us loyal Cardinal fans. The future is now. Let’s go Cardinals!

51. By emm7777 on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Whiz’s stuborness is getting sickening…

52. By clssylssy on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

I am constantly being asked by my friends around the league, “When are they going to play Skelton?” Obviously, others beside coach have see potential in him that our “fan experts” have not. And, a reminded to those fans who have already jointed the Haters Club, since the SuperBowl we lost an Offensive Coordinator, Defensive Coordinator and a bunch of our best players who were leaders on and off the field. It’s been up to coach to juggle not only his job but also that one Todd Haley vacated, and left Fitz, Docket,Wilson,Breaston to be the leaders in the locker rooms as well as on the field. Thank goodness we got Kerry Rhodes to help out with that and my props to our younger guys for pitching in as well. Another thought…crazy but no more so than some of the other suggestions from fan experts…why don’t all the players grow their hair and get more tats? Seems to have a Samson-like effect, e.g. Jeremy Shocky, Clay Matthews, Tony Polomero..and makes for nice eye candy that will keep the women buying tickets when everyone else bails!

53. By hebrew on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

To: Daren Urban
    Whiz is stubborn,hardheaded,and won’t admit his mistakes. That is why the Steelers would not hire him as head coach. The Falcons and other teams passed on him too. He won games on talent assembled by Denny Green.
    Ben Roethlisberger publicly stated that Whiz held him back. Evidently Steelers management felt the same and moved forward with a very good sensible coach who adjusts when he has to. You keep taking up for that bum !!! You won’t give Denny Green any credit,but I think I know the color of your thoughts.
    The Cardinals need to fire Whiz and his whole staff!!!!

54. By brad oneill on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Troy Aikman and Peyton Manning both had babtisms by fire playing through very rough rookie seasons and they both came out ok in the end.

I dont want to see skelton, sacked 24 times in the last 4 games and I don’t expect him to win games for us. but i would love to see some more of those completed passes he made. in his first series. i say lets go in with a play under the blitz mentality and put the tight ends and backs in to protect him and see if he cant hit some emergency checkdowns.

as a fan i would rather see a team preparing for next year than one trying to get some meaningless wins which will only serve to bump us down in the draft department.

PS here is my suggestion for the draft. if they based it only on the first 3 quarters of the season. then we wouldnt have teams sandbagging the last quarter of the year. As it is now the best way to play the game is too sandbag so just hold your nose and do it.

55. By Tarl Sampson on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

I have total respect for coach Whiz sticking to what he says, how he plays rookies and so forth. That being said…..Any lose with ANY quarterback other than Skelton will make ALL the fans ANGRY. If Skelton loses we all forgive you , because we think we are getting something out of it by getting him playing time. I enjoyed watching him play. Whiz says, he owes it to the fans to win….. Honestly, I hate to say it, but lose all the games dammit and get us a good Draft!!!! But DO it with SKETLTON for gods sake, if you have even just a little LOVE for the FANS…. We pay your bills, take our words to heart. I have always loved the cards, win or lose. I still have my Jake Plummer Jersey….This is NOW a rebuilding Year….So do it right.

56. By Darren Urban on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Chach –

RE: McDaniels

I don’t see him being hired here.

57. By Tarl Sampson on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

On another note….We should see if we can get Lienart back for a bottom basement price next year!! He would be a great second string quarterback to have…… I agree he should have been cut, only because he was not worth the probowl money we were paying him, but now he is cheap and he knows our system…Just a thought.

58. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

I’m guessing Whiz will want to groom his QBs himself, but an offensive mind with a lot of Todd Haley in him just became available for an OC position (i.e. Josh McDaniels). Will be interesting to see where he lands, but I don’t see him in AZ. From all indications, Whiz is confident in his gameplan as well as calling the plays, as he has been attributing the failures this season to failures by his players to execute his plays. Certainly can’t argue that at the most important position – QB.

59. By beenwithufromthebeginning on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

All the great quarterbacks were rookies once.. and we even Started Lienert before Warren stepped up and made magic.. he was a third stringer at one time.. he had stepped into the position after injury’s and never had to look back… I really enjoyed seeing Skelton.. and even if and when he does make mistakes he is still given us a glimmer of what a rookie quarterback is with great things to come.. I bet he will be one of the ones for the record books.. I hope whiz really realizes the potential this young man has.. he has the body and seemingly maturity for just walking into him first NFL game.. Sure he is goin to make mistakes… but I say even if we lose the next 4.. I would rather lose with this kid learning and showing the team he is our man… down the road.,. What the heck.. give him the start and make us Believe that all things are possible.. We will continue to cheer him on… and just like the style that he shows he really cares and it shows…

60. By joe on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

The coaches really %$#@ed up this season, wow its been worse this year then i’ve ever seen, pure pathetic play. Maybe the heart gets loss thru the TV, cuz i cant see it at all in the games. Ditch Anderson and Hall, those two are no QB’s. Putting Hall in as QB is such a miss-match with his size and strength he might as well play Left Gaurd. I HOPE cards get one win more this year and the Owners and Coaches make some smart decisions this off season. I’ll say it again and again, open the wallet and get a O-Coordinator and Cam Newton (Auburn) 1st round pick. I like Skelton but this bad bad year and hanging around those two candy QB’s most likely set his learning curve back 4 years. One more thing… Dump A-Dub (he was great, he aint no more) with those Corners as well (DRC/Toler) ,Adams has potential and another year in my book.

61. By Cardsfan on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Some of you people are amazing, first you were cheering for Max Hall saying he is the future play him NOW, now its Skelton, always amazed by how easily forgotten some of these players are.

62. By Shane on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Go skelton and cards!! the cards might win with skelton he is the best Qb on the team its not like theres any thing to losse for this session!

63. By Ben Burton on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

The Jets did it last year with Sanchez, and the Rams did it this year with Bradford. Just throw the rookie in there and make him find his way. You look at Sanchez this year compared to last, and you look at Bradford now compared to the beginning of the season. Hell even Payton was the same way. We’ve already lost the season, and there’s no point in being conservative. If he is infact the future of the franchise make him prove it by starting a new winning streak this season. Fight or Flight.

Also the O-Line needs to be reworked. They’re the reason Warner left, they’re the reason DA and Hall have been battered up all season. I don’t think DA is the greatest QB by any means, but with the O-Line not providing proper protection there’s nothing he or any other QB we have can do.

64. By Brad on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

I suspect Coach Whiz will hire someone and throw them in there, cause if he starts Skelton and Skelton throws 300+ then he will look like the Coach who wasted the season by picking the wrong players at the most important position. I’m starting to think the good years were all on Kurt and Todd Haley…please Whiz prove me wrong and start Skelton, and try to work on your play-calling, cause you’re suckin at that currently…

65. By cards62 on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Darren you missed a very important point in most of our fans anger including mine concerning Coach Whiz handling of the QB situation. That was Coach Whiz had 3+ years with Matt and Rod Graves had more time than that so if they wanted rid of Matt L. they should have traded him in the offseason and brought in 2 or 3 veteran QBs. We fans would have understood and most of us would have supported this move. Coach Whiz and the front office did not do this. They stated Matt is our guy and Derek is the backup and they kept selling tickets to fans Preseason comes and they do not give Matt enough work during the preseason and then demote and cut him right before the start of the season leaving only Derek Anderson as an experienced QB on the team.
    We are not Matt lovers and it is not about Matt it is about being smart and risk/reward and Coach Whiz and Rod Graves were just stupid, and we would like to hear them admit this so that we know they are capable of learning and getting better. This was and is our great anger as it involved zero hindsight and we fans knew and all football analyst knew this was our great demise right when it happened. Fellow fans Matt was not cut over money his big year is 2011 for pay from the Cardinals roster bonus or anybody else, and this is why I thought the Cardinals in the off season was staying with Matt so that they would know in 2010 if Matt L. was our QB of the future or not before Matt’s next big pay day from the Cardinals..

Now I want Coach Whiz to run the freakin ball and play action pass with John Skelton the rest of the year so we can find out a few things about our team offensively and John Skelton at QB without getting John beat up with our piss poor pass blocking from yet another underachieving line of Piglets brought to us by Russ Grimm and piss poor play calling brought to us by the worse offensive coordinator in the league.

Is Skelton the answer this year? No Do we have a better choice at this point? No Will we win the Division this year? No Can we win the division next year? Most definitely. Can our offense do any worse than the past 2 weeks or even this entire season with Anderson and Hall? No Is Skelton our QB of the future? I do not know? Do we sign a couple of veterans and cut Anderson in the off season? Most definitely. Do we draft a QB very highly next year? Yes we do first to third round depending on who we can get.
    PLAY SKELTON it is a no brainer.

Adam you are right Coach Bill B. of the NE Patroits is the best in the business, and remmeber the Cleveland Browns fired him. Coach Bill made mistakes in Cleveland and learned and is a much better coach now so I still want Coach Whisenhunt to be my coach in 2011 and I am hoping he learns from his mistakes in 2010. 2011 is a big year for Whisenhunt and Graves to prove their value as compared to the value brought by Coach Haley and Kurt Warner.
    I hope they both do well, but we have to make major upgrades to our coaching staff and our team has quit this year and we all know it except for the one or two fans still drinking the spiked Kool-aid. I hope San Diego is stupid and fires Norv Turner and we better hire him the same day as our offensive coordinator and to work with the QBs.
    Go Cards 2011 we get our swagger back!!!

66. By Old Man Riva on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

First of all, I seriously doubt that Skelton was considered the QB of the future when the Cards drafted him. More likely he was just another in a long line of potential 2nd and 3rd string guys that every team takes a chance on. Whether a QB can be drafted or signed that will make a difference is a question mark. The whole QB situation as many have stated is only the tip of the iceberg of problems the Cards have. Numerous positions can be looked at as needing an injection of talent…RB, TE and LB come to mind immediately. And I am not mentioning a new OC and DC or even head coach as solutions to the problems and maybe they are the real problem to begin with. As any sports fan knows, talent is only a part of the equation that a player needs to be successful on the pro level. Leinart obviously had talent on the college level that he wasn’t able to bring to the pro level as well as attitude (but who knows…he still has not had a chance to prove he learned anything from Warner). We all know that in the NFL a team can fall from a contender to a pretender very quickly and go in the opposite direction just as fast. Hopefully the Cards players and management won’t become too comfortable sitting at the bottom and we will have a competetive team in the near future.

67. By Bill L on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Will the Cards spend a first round pick on a QB, Newton will sell tickets, or will they spend 2, price for Kolb………or just find a VERY cheap guy in Canada….and back him up with a Midget and a 5th round miracle? It is amazing how and why someone could screw up a franchise in one year. Read the FA losses, read the Matt debacle, read Fitz’s Opt Out, read Boldin……seems like someone at the VERY top said CUT COSTS at all Costs and STUFF MY Pockets as long as the idiots buy tickets……..just a guess…..just my opinion……thank heaven for NFL revenue sharing………NE and Cards get same amount of TV revenue……..WHAT A GREAT COUNTRY!!!!!

68. By BenE on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

I vote for Skelton too. One thing I do need to say is that Coach Whiz was right when he said Skelton was “not ready”. He looked horrible in the 4th preseason game against Washington. When he went in this past Sunday, I was expecting bad things from him too but he played well.

FYI: The only chance we have to make the playoffs are that Seattle goes 0-4, St. Louis goes 1-3 (with the one win over Seattle), San Fran goes 2-2 (with wins over Seattle and St. Louis) and we go 4-0. That means that we need a total of 12 games to go our way. If each game is 50/50 chance that’s a 2.4% chance to make the playoffs. So playing Skelton makes the most sense given our VERY slim chances of still winning the division, which is why I think Whiz decided to play DA until now.

69. By Darren Urban on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Tarl –

RE: Leinart

A big reason he was cut in the first place was because he didn’t want to be second-string on this team.

70. By Lone-Eagle on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    I notice you only respond to a few blogs, but I do have some questions for you. First of all, until most recently, it was obvious to all fans that the Bidwells really were not interested in putting a winning product on the field. Do you think in your personal opinion that winning is a priority to them? I mean they get paid regardless don’t they. Here is how I see it, They brought in E. Smith. The unfortunate part was, even though he still had some gas in the tank, there was no O -line to give him the necessary holes as well as a coach that didn’t know how to use him (Denny Green). In my opinion, the best draft pick of the Denny Green era was Boldin, and then there was Fitz, but hey even without Fitz, look what Boldin did (Rookie of the Year), as well as all his other accholades. Then there is Kurt Warner. I believe the only reason they brought him in was because they needed a QB to stand behind Leinart, and due to the fact that he appeared washed up in NY, they were able to get him for cheap. I really don’t believe they expected him to do as well as he did, just like everyone else. So once again I ask you, Do the Bidwells care about winning or not? Also are they the ones pulling the strings regarding the QB situation, or is that decision strictly Whisenhunt’s? I know if I was the coach of this team, I am starting Skelton, injury or not! And seriously, who is this other QB they want to sign due to the injury to Hall? Bartell, I have never even heard of him. He sounds like one of the rejects from “The Replacments”< So what he did well in a pre-season game and they are going to bring him in and possibly give him the starting job. Give Skelton a chance to prove what he can do! He sure can't do worse than the other two. If I am the coach, I am starting Skelton, If the Bidwells don't like it, they can fire me!!!

71. By Darren Urban on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Lone –

RE: Bidwill winning

I wrote about this already in a recent blog answer. The short answer: Yes, they want to win. What good would it do to not want to win?

72. By Scott H on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Georgrebird -

Yes, the Patriots are exytremely well coached and well-prepared. But, c’mon…they also have Tom Brady out there ON THE FIELD – where the coaches do not play – leading that team and playing at a level of absolute excellence. It is NOT all in the coaching! This is a QB-driven league and Brady is the best in the business right now. As a Cardinals fan – and seeing this year how far the Cardinals have fallen without Warner – how has that point not dawned on you loud and clear???

73. By TucsonTim on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Scott -

Didn’t the Pats do pretty well with a QB who was a college back up and never had any significant playing time before Brady went down

74. By Lone-Eagle on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

I appreciate you giving me the politically correct answer. Second of all, I don’t have time to sit and do nothing but read blogs all day, so therefore I didn’t read that particular blog! What I can say is that I don’t buy it. If thay wanted to win, they would do the necessary things to win. The bottomline is, htey don’t want to spend the extra money to bring in solid players. Now I can’t stand the fact that athletes of all sports make entirely too much money for playing a game! Now even in this recession, fans wouldn’t have a problem paying to see their team play, if they were worth watching. Warner retired, nothing you can do about it! Boldin, now on a team that could go to the Super Bowl, Rolle is on a team that has playoff potential and Dansby, well he isn’t doing as well as the others, but the Dolphins are better than 3-9. How can anyone say the Bidwells want a winning team when you spend your time trying to spend as little money as possible to hopefully find a diamond in the rough, and if you do find them, they never attempt to keep them (Calvin Pace, Thomas Jones Etc.Etc.) I really hope they give Skelton the chance, but I doubt it. Week-end prediction Cardinals 3-10.

75. By John on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

One of the comments towards the beginning was at what point do we look at Whiz as a bad evaluator of talent. Sorry but you have to agree. Dennis Green’s team has faded out and what he has put into place to replace his team…just is not a good product. The handling of the QB situation was horrendous. You should have known from the beginning Leinart wasnt your answer. Instead you drag it into the preseason. His play calling is that of frustration. He abandons the run game then in the 4th qtr when the game is still within reach we try basic running plays. Then again half of that can be contributed to a QB who cannot make plays. Which comes full circle back around the Wisenhunt. If you believe Skelton is your man then you should have said so in the beginning then maybe all of this would have made sense. Now it just seems like an excuse. What scares me is that they dont know what they have in him and Graves, Whiz will believe he is the QB next year and pass on a Luck, Mallet, Newton. As fans all confidence and trust that we had for the management and coach recently is just flat out gone.

76. By brad oneill on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

its not fair to say the bidwills don’t want to win. You can say they are unwilling to pay top dollar to pull in premium players and they are definitely unwilling to over pay too keep talent. but i dont fault them at all for letting dansby and rolle go they offered reasonable compensation and were turned down. I think boldin was treated very poorly but he brought a little of it on himself.

They broke the checkbook out for warner, fitz, and dockett. and those were all the kind of people we want both as players and neighbors. This team looked pretty solid on paper before the year started. yes things fell apart but its not because of the ownership, they thought they had the pieces in place. They also brought in some top notch guys. Like Rhodes, Lennon and Porter. how were they supposed to know that Adrian wilson would not perform up to his standards, or that Clark Haggans would miss half the year?

77. By Scott H on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Tucson -

Are you speaking of Matt Cassel? Well, he’s looked very good this year. Last year??? He absolutely did not. Hey, he’s a good QB. No arguement. But I’m not sure what your arguement is. I’m not taking anything away from the job that Bellichek does in New England. But by the same token, anyone would have to be foolish to suggest that the Pats would be great no matter who plays QB. Brady is one of the greatest QB’s of the modern era and will probably be one of the greatest ever to play the game. That team is NOT the same without him, no matter who is coaching. Also, keep in mind the difference between the regular season and the post-season. Brady has been legendary in the post-season and he’s not done with that resume. Cassel has yet to play a post-season game. You think you could replace Brady with him in the play-offs and get the same results just because Bellichek is the coach?

78. By TucsonTim on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Did Cassel play for the Pats last year? My point isn’t about Brady or Cassel, it’s about coaches being able to adapt their system to their QB rather than the other way around. This organization clearly can’t.

79. By Scott H on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

Tim -

I didn’t know if you were referring to Cassel or not. Doesn’t matter. In regard to your last statement, however, we defintely agree on that!

2. Dec 7, 2010: Top Posts — WordPress.com