Whiz re-visits handling of QB position

Posted by Darren Urban on December 6, 2010 – 11:41 am

The Cardinals are undecided at quarterback at this moment.

With Derek Anderson undergoing concussion tests and Max Hall out seemingly at least a week if not longer with a dislocated shoulder, John Skelton is the only healthy QB right now. Coach Ken Whisenhunt wouldn’t commit to a starter yet, which doesn’t surprise. He wants to see where Anderson is first. The Cards also need to see what Skelton is comfortable with as a playcaller. If Hall is out — and Whisenhunt declined to say it was a season-ending injury — the Cards I would think would sign someone (and signs point to former Redskin Richard Bartel).

With everything going on, Whisenhunt was asked about what he has learned about dealing with the quarterback position, and was asked specifically if he would have kept Matt Leinart if he had to do it all over again.

“That’s the thing to talk about now (but) when we made the decision at the time, we did what we felt was best for our team and best for our future going forward,” Whisenhunt said. “Obviously it is easy to second-guess now because it hasn’t worked out the way any of us had hoped or thought it was going to. I can’t go back and say now you would do anything differently because the dynamic is different now (compared to) then when we were making the decisions.”

Whisenhunt was asked about having a veteran QB backup — which the Cards didn’t have — and he emphasized “it’s got to be what’s best for your team.”

“The team has to believe in that position too, and how those players are performing,” he added. “(Max and John) you felt earned their spots. If you had to do it over again, I think hindsight is always 20/20. But I look at other teams in the league who had veteran backups that now aren’t playing because they are playing other guys. There is no guarantee just because you have a veteran he will do the job for you.”

Overall, Whisenhunt said, finding a franchise quarterback isn’t easy. He pointed to both Miami and Denver, and their ongoing quests to replace Dan Marino and John Elway.

“I learned if your plan at quarterback, if they play well, it looks like a good plan,” Whisenhunt said. “If they don’t play well, it doesn’t look like such a good plan. There’s a number of teams out there struggling at the position.

“The bottom line is that position has not performed for us this year, nowhere near the level we have needed it to perform. We haven’t been able to compensate in other areas to account for that. What have I learned? I’ve learned it’s tough when you lose a quarterback like Kurt, and to have someone come in a play at the level you are used to without compensating in other areas is difficult.”

Tags: , , ,

108 Responses to “Whiz re-visits handling of QB position”

1. By Gary on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

It’s about time Skelton played!!! I’ve been screaming this all year. Whiz, you should have eased him in several weeks ago, we’d probably be better off right now. I could have told you Derek wouldn’t work out…

As long as Chris Miller doesn’t ruin John, we’ll be in good shape. By the way Whiz, get a REAL QB coach next season…

2. By schmatty on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Why on earth did we stop running the ball! I just don’t get it we were tearing it up and then we stopped I understand we were down but not that much to just stop totally on the run game

3. By Paul on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Obviously we need to have the QB position addressed during the off-season but as far as I can see just about every player on the roster has under achieved this season. Other than Kerry, La Rod and Jay I can’t think of a player that has played decent this year. The rookies get somewhat of a pass. About 50 players need some real soul searching the rest of this season and during the off season.

4. By John on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

What is all this talk about even considering DA continuing to be the starter??? Im not watching any more games with him. Ive had enough screaming to get him the hell out of there. Saying he is terrible is an understatement. I think Skelton did a great job coming in under those circumstances. And isn’t it just ridiculous that what all the fans including myself have been begging for for how many weeks now, using Skelton, didn’t happen until Whisenhunt was forced to use him. Really ridiculous and it makes this coach look like an idiot.

5. By joeldude on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Richard Bartel? Is that the best they can do?…wow

6. By Dean on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

That’s the intellectually honest answer I’ve been waiting to hear out of coach Whizenhunt. Quite frankly, he’s right. You can’t go back and he obviously didn’t think it would get this bad. I’m just relieved to hear he’s publically admitting things are at a low point. Now that we know he knows that, I have the faith he’ll get us on the track to get things corrected for future years. We’ll have to be patient, but as long as we get honest talk from the coach I’m willing to hang in there.

7. By Brandon on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Sounds like nothing but excuses to me, be a man Whiz and own up that you made a mistake cutting Matt. Also why the heck not start Skelton, every other qb has had multiple opportunities and failed in every single one. Let the big man get his chance. His arm had plenty of pop in it when he was throwing Sunday.

8. By SierraVistaNick on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I think at this point the team has to know that the season is over. They have to know that it’s time to groom “the guy” now in preparation for next season. That guy clearly is Skelton…for now. He had the same O’line that Hall and Anderson had and he was able to go through his progressions and find the open guy. But when the defense was something different he just couldn’t react. The ONLY way he learns is to get out there and play and see the D and make adjustments first hand.

I also think it’s time to give the fans what they want…change. We clearly need to see Skelton play a full game. If he sucks…then we know that he didn’t play for a reason. If he’s good, then hey…something to look forward too.

Something else to look at…the team seemed to play harder once he was in. On both sides of the ball. Seemed to lift the spirits a little and gave them something to play for, even if a loss was inevitable.

Nick

9. By RED BIRD 66 on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Maybe DA has had a concussion all year or at least he played like he just had his bell rung. Found a great way to deal with this pathetic mess on game day. I gave up my tickets for the game and went fishing at Canyon lake. Way better and not all pissed off after the game as it is now expected for them to lose. I did miss seeing Skelton play but will watch the replay of his playing time on NFL network. Please play Skelton, it sounds like he did pretty good with no reps. Lokks like a top 5 pick is coming..

10. By Ben on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

So did he actually use the words Matt or Leinart or did coach skirt around his accountability once again?

Why dont we ask coach if the QB situation is not getting the job done for us then why do we lead the league in pass/run ratio. His BS answer will be: Well when you fall behind like we have. Too bad that is the reason we keep falling behind!!!!

Put our crappy QBs in crappy situations and expect something other than CRAP!!!

11. By Sean on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Nice non answering of the question Whiz! Nice not to take full responsibility….What a Jack*ss! The only thing he could say is that hindsight is 20/20??? Are you kidding me! What’s funny is that most of the fans & press knew it was the wrong decision at the time, from the way he handled it on down. Not saying they would have been better with Lienart, but to make a decision like he did & how he did it, was absolutely amateurish & ridiculous! Not to mention the coaching itself has been horrible. It just goes to show how much Kurt covered up a bad offensive line by getting the ball out quick & covered up a mediocre defense by scoring a ton of points throwing to great receivers!

12. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Sean (and everyone) —

RE: Whiz answer

Did he not answer it, or did he just not answer it the way you want him to answer it?

I’ve had dozens of people ask about Whiz’s thoughts on the Leinart thing. All season. He has answered. But I have often wondered if people really wanted him asked, of if they wanted him to break down and beg for mercy from the fans as he fell on the sword.

I’ve been saying all along he didn’t regret the move, and now he said it publicly. You can disagree, but this is why I have a hard time when people rail against ‘Why don’t you ask (fill-in-the-blank)?’ — because when it is asked, you get mad because it’s not what you want to hear.

13. By TUCCARDS00 on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I would be good with replacing the OFFENSIVE LINE. Are you kidding me. They can’t run block or pass block. Don’t put in Skelton as the starter until you can protect him. Continue to start Anderson. He is a below average QB behind any kind of offensive line.

14. By kekojones on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Gary,

My REAL QB COACH and candidate for OC is Kurt Warner himself!!! If, Jason Garret did it, why not Kurt? This gig most be way better than having him in the FOX booth hurting inside every time we loose a game..

what you say Darren??

15. By Blair on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

This makes me sick. He acts like the fans are stupid for being pissed. Saying it “didn’t work” is such an understatment it blows my mind. This team has looked bad in every single game they have played this year. If you ask me, that means you made a few choices. Someone please own up to this. These kinds of things don’t just happen.

16. By schmatty on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

For all you people sayin whiz made the mistake of cuttin leinart I gaunuteed you 90 percent of you were callin for DA to be the starter then callin for hall to be the starter and then callin for skelton to be the starter… When and iff skelton looks like the rookie he is who will you call for next!? Let’s face it DA was an experiment that absolutely failed yes I think whiz made a mistake as far as cuttin lienart even if he wasn’t the future qb he would of givin us a chance to win games but let’s face it we don’t have a qb this year . It WILL be addressed this off season and we will have a legit starter for next year we have to if we want to keep fitz

17. By Sean on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren, do you think it could possible you that’s not hearing? Maybe everyone else is getting it except you? The fans seem to have been consistent on their criticism, & you seem to keep telling us we don’t get it…..the only common factor seems to be you not getting it!

18. By Ross on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I give a lot of credit to whiz for being open and honest. Its really not his style, and by no means is he required to share any detail on the organization’s thought process. I think, as tough as it has been to swallow, this year will help the cardinals and coach whiz in the long run.

and for the record, give Tim the ball.

19. By FightON! on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Brian “lets pay him 1 mil for never taking an NFL snap” St. Pierre, Derek “swagger”Anderson, Max “moxie” Hall and now John Skelton are all Whizzy’s guys, hand picked. God help the kid (Skelton)…here’s wishing you tons of luck and hope the coaching staff doesn’t screw you out of an NFL career.

20. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Keko —

RE: Kurt as QB coach

I say the same thing I have written dozens of times: Kurt has no desire whatsoever to coach.

21. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I agree with you totally Dean. There was a time where I wanted to see Whiz ticked at a press conference to prove to me he is really feeling that something is not right. But his last couple of press conferences have been brutally honest in his assessment of the team, and you can now tell that their poor play is taking a lot out of him, and that he honestly doesn’t have the answers and isn’t so sure about his players anymore. I don’t revel in seeing Whiz in so much pain, but like you said, it gives me the confidence to know that this season is really wearing on him and he’s going to make all the adjustments necessary during the offseason to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

As long as he’s open to new ideas, and ideas that may be contrary to those he’s believed in for a long time, he will have this team competitive in 2011. I’m not expecting a Super Bowl or even the playoffs, just a team that can win more games than it looses and is competitive in the games it looses. As disappointing as that goal may seem, that’s got to be the next step given this year’s outcome.

And when the team is competitive again with a franchise QB in place, then they need to start the offseason with the goal to win the Super Bowl and not the annual, “let’s just make the playoffs and we’ll go from there approach.” Like Larry said, this team and fanbase has tasted the caviar of a Super Bowl. Now that we’ve been there, being content to play just good enough during the season to land a low seed isn’t going to cut it anymore. I guess that’s the price of success for a coach in the NFL.

22. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Sean —

RE: Criticism

No, I get it. I get fans are angry. And they have every right to be.

But you are missing the point. People wanted to hear from Whiz, and have him asked a specific question — in this case, would you do the Leinart thing different if you could?

He said no. Fans are angry all over again. Again, that’s their prerogative. But it’s his prerogative to answer the questions the way he wants too. I’m not sure what I don’t get. On this subject, here is my checklist:

1) Whisenhunt releases Leinart
    2) Many (but not all) fans are angry, and say from the start it is a mistake
    3) Anderson plays poorly
    4) Fans increase criticism Whisenhunt made a mistake and want to know if he regrets it
    5) Whisenhunt continues to play Anderson, making many fans more angry
    6) Whisenhunt is asked directly if he’d handle the Leinart situation differently. He says no.
    7) Fans are angry he didn’t say yes.

Feel free to tell me which fact I am off-base with or am misunderstanding.

23. By Donald on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

For the love of God, just play Skelton. He’s raw, but throws a good ball. DA isn’t going to lead us to the playoffs, Whis…and if we aren’t going to the playoffs why in the hell would we be playing DA any further? So he can cement his legacy as the worst QB we’ve ever fielded and make guys like Kent Graham look Kurt Warneresque?

Just start Skelton, see if he can thow some balls to WRs without getting them killed, and lets find out if we have to mortgage the farm to draft Luck, or if we can build up an OL and LB corp in the draft. If Skelton has potential, we’ll glimpse it over the last few games…and if we happen to win some of them then so be it.

24. By CaliCard on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

This is the biggest no-brainer of the season–put in Skelton for the rest of the season and let’s see what we’ve got. That, and Whisenhunt start calling better and more aggressive plays in order to win (see Sean Payton).

25. By Cardsfan on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I think Whiz handled the Leinart situation fine, he was a pre-madonna and failed time and time again to prove that he could consistantly be a NFL caliber starter. We just got stuck with Anderson who is a good guy but is in a bad situation, inconsistant, and he is just a scapegoat, I really hope we can start grooming Skelton for next year and draft some O-linemen in the first couple rounds. Doing that alone will improve this team.

26. By azred21 on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I think john skelton should start in the next game against the broncos because of the broncos
    they are second to the last in sacks (which means they can’t get much pressure on the quarter back) and would be easy for skelton to get used to nfl speed

27. By jocards on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

You’re absolutely right, people don’t want to hear that Whisenhunt does not regret releasing Leinart. I personally do not believe that if he knew how bad the QB play was going to be that he would’ve gone ahead and released Leinart anyway but that isn’t really what he said either. In fact to me when he says that hindsight is 20/20 he is hinting that if he knew then what he knows now perhaps a different decision would have been made. Unfortunately it doesn’t really matter now. Also, I agree that Anderson is much better suited to be a back up than a starter and that’s exactly what I thought we’d signed him to be, a back up. The fact that he got the nod as the starter and failed so miserably is one reason a lot of fans are angry. One of many reasons for me anyway…

28. By schmatty on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Sean how many teams go from a hall of fame qb one year to not a hall of fame qb the next year and do good? Ask the dalphins rams broncos and 49ers this was gonna be a tuff year no matter who was the qb…. And I hear no one talkin about the defence who may be just as bad as DA…fans need to look at the big picture not just the qb spot. We are bottom third in the league in almost all defensive catagorys how you talk about that?

29. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

jocards —

RE: QB/Anger

One thing I want to make very clear: I do not fault fans for being ticked about this situation.

30. By Sean on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I get it Darren….By him saying no he wouldn’t do it all over again is an ignorant answer! It is not taking accountability, which is what the fans want. It may be his prerogative to answer how he wants, but a person in his position is accountable for his decisions, & so far Whiz is avoiding all accountability! By answering it that way, Whiz is effectively defending bringing in a QB with a worse completion % than Leinart & destroying the season. What’s wrong with saying I handled things incorrectly & should have kept Leinart around. Leinart knows our system, has a higher completion % than Anderson. If Leinart didn’t produce, then they could have then said Leinart’s not the answer & then go to Anderson. You let Leinart stay around all those years then say he’s the guy & the trade him at the last min. for a guy with Anderson’s stats….C’mon! I know they were worried about losing Hall, but oh well something had to give, & you definitely had a better chance with Leinart…At least on paper! Again, I don’t even like Leinart, nor do I think he was the answer, but the way his departure happened was absolutely deplorable & Whiz should be accountable for that & the way this season has progressed! So when he answers the question would he do it all over again as YES, it tells me this guy is either DUMB, or he’s just going to defend a very dumb move till the end & thinks the fans & team are too stupid to comprehend that!! Not sure which it is, but by his actions & answers I have no respect for the guy as a coach, & if I was a player I would never want to play for someone like that!

31. By TucsonTim on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Well, it isn’t actually 20/20 hindsight when Scouts Inc. posted this assessment of Anderson BEFORE the Cards acquired him:

“Anderson has been too erratic to be considered a true starter in this league. His arm strength is far and away his best attribute. Anderson doesn’t put enough touch on his underneath throws and overall, isn’t particularly accurate. When bodies are falling around him, his downfield focus is often compromised and he doesn’t do well when the play doesn’t go to script. He is also a terrible athlete for the position with heavy feet and the inability to avoid rushers.”

Seems like they were spot on.

Don’t we learn in 3rd grade that pointing out other’s mistakes doesn’t excuse our own. Are we supposed to give Whiz a pass because Denver had trouble replacing Elway. Are you kidding me?

32. By TBru on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

“Ken Whisenhunt wouldn’t commit to a starter yet, which doesn’t surprise. He wants to see where Anderson is first.”

I swear DA has dirt on Wiz, and has promised to keep quiet if well you all know.

What possible reason could Wiz have to even consider starting DA 7 game loosing streak, 2 games in a row with out a sniff of the end zone. He should have been benched after the Tampa Bay game and if there was any question, The Minnesota game. Unless the goal is the #1 pick, I see no reason DA should be considered for anything. Oh wait he gives us the best chance and we could win out the string, and San Fran could loose out the string and and and Seattle and St Louis could have a plane crash and and and we could still make the playoffs (where Atlanta would beat us 99-6)

33. By Sean on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Smatty, I actually agree with you….I never expected to replace a Kurt Warner. My problem is how Whiz handled the Leinart situation & now how he’s defending it by saying he would have done it again. Only an idiot would give that answer! He’s avoided all accountability & that’s what’s ticked most people off. You’re also right how the defense has way under performed, which I stated in my 1st post. I stated that Warner covered up the D’s deficiencies by out scoring the opponent. He also covered up O-line deficiencies by reading defenses & getting rid of the ball quickly. So we probably agree on most things, again just the handling of Leinart & his defending of it has me ticked.

34. By TucsonTim on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Schmatty –

You don’t really think it would have taken another HOF QB to win the NFC west this year do you?

35. By Bill L on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

BS from Whiz on QB. Add it to his Snap and Crisp comments. Still NO TRUTH about Matt…..maybe a Spat with Whiz, see Boldin……maybe a Cheap OUT by ownership……who knows, well they do and why tell the truth when BS and Lies are easier.

One thing for sure the Cards stink and Skelton is not a savior…..a couple soft zone passes to wide open reievers with no rush and things are so bad that some people go crazy.

Hear Grimm is being looked at for atleast one head coaching job…….yeah, his O-Line work has been great. NO CHANCE and getting worse odds with each loss. The Cards will have to fire him or more likely suffer through his contract.

Cards are on their way to a JOKE. Not good. Overpay for FAs and get a vacation/retirement level of perdformance. Nobody will be coming for a Ring or give a Ring effort. It’s a downward spiral. Probably at the bottom….worst team/franchise in the NFL…..no way but flatline or up….90% flatline.

36. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Sean —

RE: Whiz on Leinart

My reaction is two-fold:

1) I’m not sure what good it does to say that now. And when Whiz said today “the team has to believe in that position too, and how those players are performing” I don’t think that was an accident. He was talking about a veteran QB backup and not specifically Leinart, but we don’t know the internal things that were going on at the time within the locker room.

2) (and most important) I don’t think he believes he was wrong given the circumstances. Yes, now, as he mentioned, “hindsight is 20/20″ but I think his thought process was sound at the time.

And while you say it undermines him with players, what about the coach who makes decisions only to second-guess himself later? That’s also a dangerous way to lead a team.

37. By Big Red on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Simple, Simple, Simple for all you cardinal fans who know everything about the team. Skelton will be our QB for next season. For one, DA I wish him luck where ever he ends up (maybe even here). 2nd Hall is not Pro material (happy feet and scary look). Skelton (Mr. Cool and he pocesses a big arm.) Good enough to keep Fitz for the remainder of his career in Arizona. Coach knows what his doing, BACK-OFF! Right Darren.

38. By SteveDCO on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

The Broncos may have one of the worst sacks ratios in the NFL but they also hav one of the best corners in the NFL. Bailey is lost on a bad team with a terrible coach.

Everyone screaming for Whiz to man up needs to realize that is what he is doing. He made a choice and is sticking with it. The easy path right now is to blame it all on DA and say he should have kept ML. A real coach owns his choice and sticks by it no mater what. You want Mike Singulary in here pulling his pants down be my guest but I love having a real coach who has a plan and he will execute that plan. Did everyome forget where thi team was just a few years ago!

Skelton sarting next week is what everyone wants, I get that. I watched the game but wasn’t excitd like I was when the season started. When Skelton came in I started to DVR and watched everyone one of his throws many many times. He is a rookie out of Fordham who has faced St Loius and pre-season Ds. Before we make him the heir aparent to Warner lets see if he can read a Dfense. Lets make sure he knows how to read coverage and change the plays when needed before we throw him out there and get him killed.

I do have a real question though…..

B. Wells is looking like a below average player, blocker and pass cather. My biggest concern is with missing so many blitz reads and getting the QB killed. If he can’t block he can’t play in the NFL.

Is Wells issue mental? Does he not read the D and take the right 1st step or is it physical, he can’t get there in time?

39. By jocards on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

I know you are not faulting us for being angry.

Now to all fans, to me Whisenhunt is not saying that he made the right decision. He is only saying that given the same set of circumstances he can’t say he’d make a different decision. I know folks want to hear him say he blew it but he isn’t going to say that. He says hindsight is 20/20…What do you suppose he means by that? To me he is saying that now, considering what we all know to be true, the QB play has been terrible the decision was a bad one. However he didn’t know how bad the QB play would be, you can argue all you want that he should’ve known it but he apparently believed that DA would be better than he has proven to be. Believe me, I think the decision was bad and I thought so at the time but does anybody really think that if coach knew how bad the QB play was going to be he’d have made the same decision? I don’t believe he would’ve.

40. By Sean on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I appreciate the response, but the mistake is out in the open! The fans, the players & everyone sees it, so the best thing to do in that case is to admit you’re human & you were wrong….There’s no where left to hide! No one is perfect & by admitting that the players would understand, but by kicking the obvious down the road & ignoring it doesn’t make it go away! The players know what time it is better than us the fans, & I kind of think that’s why you’re seeing this team quit at times. Buffalo plays hard for their coach week after week, not so much for the Cards! I think they pick it up at times for the fans & also to avoid embarrassment. I could be wrong, but if I was betting’ man Whiz has already lost this locker room because no one can believe what the guy says. When ones answers don’t line up with their actions, or when someone doesn’t take accountability for their mistakes, they usually lose any followers they had quickly! They say it takes a long time to build trust & minutes to tear it down….. Well it looks like Whiz has lost his!

41. By dan thanos on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

lets take a look at free agent Stanton whos with the Lions

42. By Money on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

We have not been mathematically eliminated yet, we can still finish 7-9 and win the division if Seahawks and Rams lose out. If DA can go, Whiz will start him because he is not going to throw a division title away if he truly believes the guy gives them the best chance to win. He’s probably throwing personal money away too in incentives by the way. If DA can go and he starts Skelton, to me he has finally admitted his (and the owner’s) mistake which goes back to preseason 2009 in its origin when we went with St. Pierre instead of a free agent or quality rookie when we knew it was possibly Warner’s last season because of his age and mobility.

43. By Scott H on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

First, let us take a moment to remember Dandy Don Meredith, who sadly passed away today. I remember watching MNF as a kid when he was doing the games. I wish I remembered it better than I do. There are none like him anymore. Too bad he’s not around to give us a little “Turn Out The Lights”…because for the Cardinals, the party is definitely over.

In regard to Whiz’s comments on the QB situation….blah, blah, blah. That’s what it sounds like at this point. I’m sick of hearing it anymore. Injuries are unfortunate and I would never wish them on anyone. But in regard to Anderson? Let’s be honest, coach – he wasn’t any damn good when he was healthy! Sorry to say this BUT I’m only saying it because the stubbornness of this coach in sticking with Anderson was reaching the point of pathological – if an injury to Anderson is what it takes to get Skelton on the field so we can FINALLY get a look at him, then so be it. Ya know what? Anderson will be fine and resting is probably better for him, anyway.

We supposedly kept these young QB’s because the team was excited about them to the point where they didn’t want to cut either of them and risk losing them to another team on waivers. Fine. THEN LET THEM PLAY!!!!! THE FRIGGIN SEASON IS OVER!!!!! THE SEASON HAS BEEN OVER!!!!! Let’s at least make some progress toward next season instead of continuing to hammer on the nails that are already in the coffin.

Darren, you speak of a coach who makes decisions and then “second-guessing himself later”…and I say what is so wrong with that? When a bad decision has been made anywhere, you can do one of two things – you can stand by that bad decision and support it as things just get worse. OR you can admit that a poor decision was made, take responsibility for it, and make changes that need to be made to get things turned around. I’ll take the latter every day of the week. I think you earn people’s respect when you admit mistakes, take responsibility, and make changes for the sake of trying to make it better. That whole “staying the course” thing…more often than not, it’s just foolish and stubborn. The image of the scene from the Titanic where the captain is standing at the wheel of the ship just waiting for the windows to crash in around him comes to mind…know what? There’s nothing honorable or heroic about that, in my humble opinion. Get back on deck and blow up some damn life rafts to try to save some more people! I would respect that a whole lot more.

44. By Jesse Robles on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I just don’t like how Whiz said, ” I’m pleased with how he handled himself yesterday … but by no means do I think he’s ready to play … Anything we see from John at this point is a bonus.” Ken needs to stop living on the practice field where Skelton gets NO REPS. He thinks Hall and DA are the answer and somehow thinks those guys are ready to play? Anything out of DA or HALL is a bonus, this guy is going insane. I know it was only 3 for 6, but has this guy ever even thrown to those Fitz, Breaston, and Early? Im sure DA is a great guy, but he is a horrible QB. I wish i could be horrible at my job and never get fired, but Ken is still talking about starting him? What happened to giving your team the best chance to win? Stop bashing Skelton and let him play, we have nothing to play for but finding a QB anyway, until we do, we aren’t going to be good. We are going nowhere playing DA, we have made NEGATIVE progress with DA, just stop playing him. He tears that practice field up I guess?! Can’t do anything on Sundays.

45. By brad oneill on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

derek is done. i like the guy, i respect the guy but he is done. he gave it all he had and just came up a little short.

I really liked what i saw out of Skelton. I am not worried about ruining him because if he sucks it wont matter because we will be drafting andrew luck but if he is a diamond in the rough and he ends up showing us that he can adjust to the pro game we may be able to use our picks on some of the other glaring needs on this team.

In the old days of the cardinals this time of year was always interesting because everyone knew if they lost their job with the cardinals there was no guarantee that anyone else would pick them up. So we saw some very courageous individual efforts that gave us fans something to watch.

of course my opinion at that time was “damn that guy is going to get a job with a winning team” but maybe this time will be different.

46. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

SteveDCO —

RE: Beanie

Those questions I don’t know.

47. By DanenInWI on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I have loved Whiz as a coach, but he has come off pretty poorly this whole year. He has an incredibly hard time admitting when he has made mistakes, or taking blame. Which is really disappointing. I think releasing Matt was ridiculous at the time, and still do.
    But beyond that decision he has taken little to no responsibility for how poorly the team has done. He blames the defense, offense, Special teams, brings up specific individuals names that didn’t make plays…….. but to be honest the play calling has been pretty bad as well. And he rarely, if ever owns up to mistakes by him or his staff.
    One example of this for me was when the game was still close on sunday and we were averaging like 9 yards a carry at the time……… he chose to throw 5 straight times. Not surprisingly we went 0-5 and was an enormous momentum killer. That’s fine to do with Kurt……… or a halfway decent quarterback, but we have neither of those. The rams could not stop Beanie or Tim. Yet he got pass happy WHEN THE GAME WAS STILL CLOSE.

I have been and will always be a lifelong fan and supporter, and I love Whiz and what he has done here……………… but he needs to man up, drop his pride on the floor and call a mistake a mistake and forget this “hindsight is 20/20″ crap.
    It’s getting old.

Do you feel this at all being closer to the situation, or do you not agree?
    Thanks
    danen

48. By modavaysean on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Skelton needs to start. We need to see what we have in him b4 we use a top 10 pick on….lets face it probably a top 5 pick on the best QB available ibn the draft being Andrew Luck or Cam Newton. Honestly unless Skelton wins every game from here on out we should pick up 1 of the 2 anyways. Never the less we need to see what we have in Skelton now bc we don’t much in DA or Max. That has been established.

49. By kauaicardsfan on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Just wanted to tell you thanks for listening to all the complaints throughout this chaotic season, I have been a cards fan for 35 years and aint stopping now.
    One move I really have to bring up was letting Q go, he is looking great at Baltimore and all we had to do was resign him ( when they promised him they would and didnt). Of course we dont have a QB that can throw to him right now, but Q was a huge part of the team and its leadership and spirit. The others chose to leave but Q was there if we took care of him !
    Lets hope the management dont make anymore mistakes like that again??? You have the right coach, the team is not that far off ” other than QB”, lets not go backwards again.

50. By SierraVistaNick on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Sean-

Leinert was cut…not traded…If he was so good why is he STILL the #3 with the Texans? Behind…Orlovsky?!?! Really???

I raised my glass the day he was cut!

51. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Danen —

RE: Whiz comments

I think I can’t blame anyone for thinking that way.

52. By brad oneill on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Hey Jamarcus russel is available!!!

go get him he could be the next michael vick!

I think its a lot easier to coach drive than it is to manufacture talent.

jamarcus is a bonafide star with an attitude issue but being out of football for a year may just have been what he needed.

My guess is he would be available cheap, he can play with out knowing the playbook he proved it for years in oakland, and he has experience with playing with subpar teams.

53. By Voice of Reason on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Hello, Broken Record here.

Whiz is right that you shouldn’t look back at a decision made in the past because you can’t change it. But it is critical to recognize when the decision was a bad one far earlier than now. That didn’t happen, and this is a major problem.

We knew quarterback was an issue when an undrafted rookie free agent gets a start early in the year. And neither guy could touch 55% completion percentage.

We knew the defense was an issue when we were giving up yardage to a third RB that hasn’t done anything since (Snelling).

So you don’t put your head in the sand and wait until the end of the year to say “gee, that was a bad call.” You are PROACTIVE and do something about it while something can still be done.

Before the trading deadline, a few teams made deals. We didn’t.

We could have signed a quarterback from the UFL (would that player have been any worse than what we’ve seen? Impossible). We didn’t.

Look, I’m not saying if we signed a quarterback in week 3 we would have won the Super Bowl. But we would have, unquestionably, won this awful division with marginal quarterback play.

This is a team that, literally has not one earned win all season. They are a Breaston strip, Janikowski choke, and fortunate qb fumble to an O-lineman leaning into the endzone away from zero wins. And with the talent on this team, that is completely unacceptable.

The fact is this: a mediocre doesn’t win games for you, but doesn’t lose games for you either. A bad quarterback (or in our case, two) will lose you games. I feel for the vets like Dockett that worked so hard this offseason only to see it go down the toilet without any ability to control it. Six points a week doesn’t beat anybody, even if you have the Ravens’ defense.

54. By Mary bone-White on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Does anyone think about the roster bonus of almost 15 million that Matt would have gotten? We had to let him go, he was a mistake from the beginning. You can be assured Texas will let him go at the end of the season and the NFL will be saying Matt who? Kind of like Jake who? Hopefully Skelton is the answer & we keep Max Hall, but we do need a back-up veteran player and I don’t know who that is. We need a QB coach who can groom these young players and Whiz needs to coach the “team” and give up on play calling. Warner just retired a year too soon, Next Year, have faith, support our team.

55. By schmatty on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Tucson tim….yes I do believe that look who’s in first! A team that has a qb that’s made it to the superbowl and a team with a franchise qb in bradford who’s rookie of the year and will be a future MVP… Yes our division is bad but to win consistantly in this league you need a franchise QB look at the teams that win every year the colt and manning, the pats and brady, the steelers and sir rape a lot.

56. By Peter in Canada on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Since the playoffs are impossible and Anderson/Hall have been unable to find the end zone it only makes sense to start Skelton to see what he has for next year. At the very least he should be brought in when we get behind. The same goes for the other rookies.

I don’t see why Whiz would regret dumping Leinart. I think he might regret not having dumped him much earlier. He is the third string QB at Houston for God’s sake.

As for starting the QB that gives us the best chance to win, that must be Skelton since the others have brought us a 7 game losing streak.

57. By Pat on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren and Sean, you are arguing over an important point but not the most important point. How can Whiz, Graves etc as the talent evaluators be so wrong about the qb’s they kept? A few mths ago Whiz told us they wanted to keep all four . Are you kidding? Three of the four may never play again and we all know it(whiz just can’t bring himself to say it). We will now, hopefully, get to learn something about the fourth. With all the draft busts, over the hill fa’s , how can we trust him to do the right thing in the future. That is what bothers me the most.
    I, again watched DRC matador defense Jackson during the touchdown run and no one calls him on playing soft. Not sure the players fear for their jobs.

58. By Potter on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

It has been said here multiple times and on the cardinals Facebook you will find me saying most of the same stuff. With this oline(tackles in particular) no qb was destined to have success. And with our limited flexibility in FA due to the uncapped CBA rules we were screwed from the day Kurt retired cuz we only had the draft to retool what we lost. DA is not our big problem this year, not enough people say this but the oline has been our low point and that is what really needs fixed first. We will have a top 5 pick most likely, it needs to a LT unless we get someone in FA. A better oline will fix the run game and provide more time in the pocket for our qb to read the defense. 2 things this team has not had in the past couple years. Kurt made them look better than they were. I think fixing the defense is easier, with the personnel we have we should be playing a 4-3. We would be better against the run and might get a better pass rush.

Darren, I am interested to hear your thoughts on the qb draft class for next year compared to John Skelton

59. By FightOnCards! on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Arizona is just not a good place to be a quarterback right now. There is no discernible, clear-cut, logical method that the coaches use with the quarterbacks. It is all intangibles, swagger, how someone “looks” or “feels.” Good teams find a QB they think they can develop, and they work with him logically. Some, like Flacco and Bradford, can start as rookies and be successful. Others, like Cassel, need time ti watch and learn. Others, like Eli Manning, need to be in the game to learn – they might not be successful right away, but they are learning and improving. Not all quarterbacks work out – think JaMarcus Russell – so then you move on. There is NO SIGN of this process in Arizona. Matt Leinart, a Heisman Trophy and national championship winner, has had his career ruined in Arizona. That’s what Whiz did by cutting him the way he did, ruined his career. Look at Max Hall today, one win, a string of interceptions, and a potentially season-ending injury. Where is his career going? God forbid Andrew Luck is drafted by the Arizona Cardinals. It would be a shame to watch his career disintegrate into shambles. It really speaks to Kurt Warner’s talent – and his discovery of using gloves while throwing – that he was able to be successful here.

60. By Sean on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

SierraVistaNick, Please re-read my comments….I never said we traded Leinart or that I thought that he was the answer, but the way the situation was handled was rediculous. If you read my comments I specifically said that I didn’t believe that Leinart was the answer, but Whiz said he was & then cut him just before the season started….Not a genius move!

61. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Potter —

RE: Skelton vs draft QB

Well, until John plays a little, I don’t know how to assess him. I will say that, if this team picks in the top 10 (or even if they don’t), heavy consideration must be made to drafting a QB.

62. By Big Red Fan on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

God bless you, bro. Next season is a new start. It will get better. :)

63. By Big Red Fan on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Besides….I remember Kurt being booed off the field. As Kurt always says “NFL equals Not For Long”. Things change fast…

64. By Modavaysean on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Ive been hereing a lot from 49er and seahawk fans that they have ben scared of AZ starting Skelton for a while. The general thought from around the leagues is that kid has serious talent and the AZ cards should have started him along time ago if they really wanted a winning season. So lets listent o the rest of the league and put him in……. oh and i made a comment earlier but not the one that my name is under i made the one below it that says kauikicardsfan made not sure how that happened ? does that happen a lot ?

65. By Modavaysean on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

LOL never mind i see how this works LOL geez :P

66. By David C. on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Do you feel Whisenhunt has lost the team? It sure seems like it from in the stadium and when I re-watch on TV. The team’s mannerisms, their reactions, it just seems like they don’t believe in Whiz, his coaching staff or game plan.

67. By SierraVistaNick on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Sean-

Actually you did say traded him. Maybe you meant should’ve traded him.

68. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

David C —

RE: Whiz/team

In all honesty, I don’t think he’s lost them. I do think confidence/enthusiasm has been sapped.

69. By Cardsfan on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Now that McDaniels has been fired, you think the Cards would even think about hiring him? He isnt a bad OC and a pretty good QB coach too, both of which we do have troubles with.

70. By Voice of Reason on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Fair comment, Darren. That is EXACTLY why he must start and play the rest of the year.

We know what we have with Hall and Anderson: two absolutely terrible quarterbacks that literally couldn’t win a division that could have been won with Tim Rattay or Shaun Hill. Yes, it really is that ridiculous.

Again, the problem isn’t why we did or did not get rid of Leinart at the beginning. It is why we didn’t try something, anything, to right the ship when it was clear we were headed for the iceberg. Tim Rattay, Jeff Garcia, Duante Culpepper all would have come for the league minimum. Would they have been better? Who knows. But they could not have been worse.

Any idea who leads the league in lowest completion percentage with at least 1000 snaps? You guessed it: DA (which, ironically, when pronounced phonetically is “duh”). And get this — Max Hall’s percentage is WORSE — he just doesn’t qualify because of so few snaps.

Next worst qualifier: Michael Vick. But he is two percentage points higher, and he tends to do other stuff to help his team win.

Blame here goes squarely on Rod Graves. His job is to pursuade the owners to make moves to make the team better. Sometimes, when there is a leak in the boat, you take affirmative action to fix it now. If you need to trade a 4th round pick to do it, pull the trigger.

This failure to recognize the obvious problems at the quarterback position early nor show any effort to find a fix (even if a mere band-aid) is inexcusable and frankly, for a 10+ year GM, embarrassing.

71. By Potter on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren, that is kind of what I thought. Figured he didn’t have enough reps for you to have a judgement on him yet. But I am thinking we get one in the second round cuz until the oline is fixed i feel we will have the same issues. But do you have any feelings on the qbs we could take? I’m really looking at Andrew Luck, Ryan Mallet, and Cam Newton

72. By VAS on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I HAVE BEEN A CARDINAL FAN FOR 36 YEARS AND I HAVE SEEN SOME GOOD YEARS AND SOME VERY BAD YEARS AND ALWAYS SUPPORTEDTHE COACHES AND THE PLAYERS SO LETS TRUST WHIZ.HE DID TAKE US TO THE SUPERBOWL AND TO THE PLAYOFFS 2 YEARS IN A ROW.AND PLEASE ALL THE MATT LEINART FANS ENOGTH ALREADY .HE JUST DIDN’T HAVE IT,SO LETS MOVE ON. GO CARDS.

73. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Cardsfan —

RE: McDaniels

Don’t see any connection with Whisenhunt or anyone on his staff/organization, which is usually how these things happen.

74. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Potter —

RE: Draft QB

Luck is going to be the prize. Have to see what scouts think of Newton on this level. Hearing red flags on Mallet, great tools, not sure he can make them work.

75. By shep on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

ok…sean you have nailed it on the head. Darren you are right that “many” not all were upset that Leinert was let go but moreover the timing of it and the lack of class in how it went down. Leinert had every right to go to the Coach and question his decision, with the press knowing about it so Whisenhunt could not put “up his curtain” which he is pretty adept at. Sean is right, admit you made a mistake Whisenhunt, be a man about it and people will respect you more. He looks lost now just like his chosen QB and now exposed when before he seemed to hide behind Boldin, Pendergast release. Why is it his buddy Miller from the Falcons is the QB Coach. Why doesn’t Whisenhunt get called to the carpet for his teams performance. The comments about Haley, Warner and the high level of talent to get a 500 type ball club to the Super Bowl was real but in many ways a mirage, because Whisenhunt was fortunate to be in that spot. The other post I saw about ruining Leinerts career, lets see what happens to Leinert. For the record a few people above in these posts say he is third string with the Texans. Being a backup is pure luck if you get to play if there is an established QB there like Schaub and the #2 guy doesn’t lose his spot to Leinert when Leinert joins the team for the first game. I hope Leinert gets a shot next year from Carroll or the Vikings and pays Wisenhunt back with a nice compliment after he kicks his ### on the field.

76. By xevinx on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I’m not a Leinart fan, but I do find it particularly funny when people talk about how getting rid of Leinart was obviously a good move since he is now a 3rd string QB for Houston, and then in the same post talk about Skelton being so great.

77. By az1965 on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

“You have to be very careful about how you do things with that,” Whisenhunt said. “We have an obligation to our fans and to our team to put them in the best position to win.”

Umm… what part of 3-6 and seven game losing streak does the coach does not understand??? We are NOT winning so the guys are not in the BEST positions… time to tinker that and play most of the young guys to get them experience and see if THEY can win games for you since the other guys are not.

Also, I would like to see in the off season all the ex-steelers has-beens flush down the toilet bowl.

78. By az1965 on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Oops… I meant 3-9 in the above comment.

79. By Dylan on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

another thought of mine and the reason why they dont wanna start skelton this year is because they know what they have in him and he is a great player but they just dont want other teams knowing this idk but man would that be great..

80. By Voice of Reason on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I’m hearing “DA clone” when reading about Mallett. That, alone, tells me no way. I’d take Locker or Newton (not to mention Luck) before Mallett.

81. By Scott H on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

On another topic, did anyone watch the game last night? I love to see the Ravens every chance I get so I can see Boldin play. Did anyone see tha play – where Boldin caught the TD pass – where he juked McFadden out of his shoes to get about as wide open as you could possibly be? Oh, man, it was sweet! Sweet to see Boldin still playing like the beast he has always been, and sweet to see that McFadden does, indeed, truly suck! I’m just glad to see that he didn’t go back to Pittsburgh and become a Pro Bowler after he was a total ZERO in Arizona for one year. Geez, at least something went right this year. Also…after being so injury prone in Arizona, anyone notice that Boldin hasn’t missed a snap now that he’s somewhere else??? Hmmm….

Another note to coach Whiz – let’s be DONE with the ex-Steelers. McFadden, Porter, Haggans, Faneca…I miss anyone? We’ve gotten very little out of these guys. Let’s try shopping in another store.

l

82. By Anthony on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

These comments from these so called “fans” sound like a lot of empty rhetoric. Whiz has handled the QB situation as best as possible and if you think Matt would have preformed any better, you’re just dumb. And if you think Skelton is ready to lead us to the promise land, you’re just dumb. Max did the same thing, looked great the first start and then came back down to Earth with the rest of us. If you don’t think coach Whiz is doing a good job, you’re just dumb. The man takes this team to a Super Bowl and now you’re calling for his head. We were spoiled by Kurt Warner. Settle down and support our team through this rough patch. Can’t wait for that Christmas day game! Rise up Red Sea!

83. By cheesebeef on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

the fact that Anderson is still even SOMEWHAT of a thought in Wiz’s head is galling to me and his gobbly-gook answer above just makes him look more and more retarded by the moment.

If anderson gets out there, Wiz better be prepared not only to not score a TD ever again, but he better be ready to hear a chorus of boos on EVERY SINGLE MISSED PASS. That’s what was going on Sunday and it’s going to continue in every game that piece of garbage plays (note, I don’t think Anderson the person is a piece of garbage, but as a football player, his skill level is that just above pond scum).

84. By McNab's future on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

A fan’s recommendation:
    Cards: a man respects his job. A man is defined based on what he does. Team, you need to do your job. This job is a job which helps you to put meals on the table for your family. Please, cards show me some games like East coast style. I have a dream one day to see a game from cards like Baltimore vs. sttlers style. A man fights for two most items: for protection his family/childre/wife/significan other/, and his job. PLEASE, CARDS RESPECT YOUR JOB.

85. By louis foret on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

da has been a joke since being in the nfl we got what we thought when we signed him. we release matt and traded boldin (top 5 receiver in the league) for nothing. da should have never been signed and all that money went to waste on matt. ken knew he didnt like him 3 years ago and kurt was aging. ben rothliberger was on the market for a 1st rounder during the draft and we passed hope we learned from this horrible year. da has to go last month hes the worst qb in the league since jemarcus russell is gone and that goes for backups too, once hes gone from here he will never play in the league again. there are 3rd stringers better then him out there, jeff garcia would have been a better choice then him.

86. By Justin on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I posted this on here as soon as the rumors about Leinart getting cut began to swirl and I will say it again. I am certainly not anywhere near NFL caliber coach and will never even try to say that I know more about X’s and O’x than Whiz, but WTF, OMG, and any other thing you could use here, how in the name of everything holy could you have not seen this coming? DA was terrible in Cleveland and never proved that he was anything but a career backup. Max Hall was an UNDRAFTED rookie free agent. John Skelton was called a project draft pick from the beginning. Matt Leinart however, was our guy. Remember how excited everybody was that he slipped down to us in the draft? Remember how promising he looked as a rookie on a terrible team? Then Warner comes in and has several years to cement a hall of fame career with ML waiting in the wings. When Warner retired, I thought…here we go, one year to see what ML has and if he fails, we go out and get our franchise guy in the draft. But NO, Whiz decides he doesn’t like ML for some reason and makes what can only be considered a TERRIBLE organizational move and releases Leinart so that we can keep an undrafted rookie as our backup and a project rookie as our 3rd stringer. Whiz thinks hindsight is 20/20 but holy cow, how could anybody with half of a brain not see this as a very distinct possibility? If DA didn’t work out, we were going to be up a brown creek without a paddle. The Cardinals spend all of that money to keep ML all those years and when it just so happens we need him the most, our genius head coach and front office staff think it is a good idea to cut him?

Darren, will you please tell Coach Whiz and the front office staff that their supreme idiocy just gained the ASU Sun Devils two season ticket holders next year, because, I would rather spend my season ticket money and take the time to drive up there from Tucson to watch them then this team led by such short-sided individuals. GO DEVILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

87. By georgiebird on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Here’s the problem with the Matt Leinart question: Whiz is answering it one way and the fans another- (and they’re both right):

1) Whiz is saying Matt was not the long term QB -and I believe he was right

2) The fans are saying with the NFC West win-able at 7-9, Matt may have been good enough (along with some other improvements) to keep the Cardinals in contention.

Whiz went into the season figuring the 49ers for 10-6 which would have made his answer correct. However with SF bombing, the fans can now look at the 7-9 record as a reasonable outcome with Matt. So with the benefit of hindsight, the fans are more right than Whiz. If SF had gone 10-6, the whole Matt point would be moot. The real question to Whiz “If you knew SF was going to bomb big time, would you have kept Matt?”

88. By TucsonTim on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

To get Luck or Newton we will probably have to trade up (hard to believe I know), and then we have to believe this organization can develop a franchise QB (very doubtful). So why not use that 1st pick to get Kolb

89. By wayne on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren

What I think fans are angry about is that CARDS are 3-9 without LIENART and the FANS think we would have a better record with LIENART, so if WHIZ could have known this would be our record would he still have waived LIENART and many of us think so because WHIZ said that ANDERSON was the better QB. I said this before and I’ll say it again WHIZ just simply made a bad decision releasing MATT !! We have other issues that we need to tend to, DEFENSE and OFF-LINE, the CARDS made (1) good off-season move and that was signing RHODES when we lost ROLLE, PORTER has been ok rushing the QB but he’s horrible against the run and can’t cover a TE, we really miss DANSBY, the CARDS need someone to run the DEFENSE on the field and we don’t have it.
    SKELTON looked ok (strong arm) but I think WHIZ has done the correct coaching by not playing him

90. By Mark on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Everything I’ve read on Skelton seem to stop at the coaches saying simply “he’s not ready yet.” I certainly understand that coming from a small school he did not have the caliber of coaching other rookie QB’s have had to be ‘NFL ready’. Still, nobody takes it any further than “he is raw.”

I think it would be helpful if you could give us more insight on what areas of his game still need to improve before they are confident in starting him. Is it his footwork, throwing motion, playbook knowledge, defense recognition, personal maturity, leadership ability, etc?

Also, can you explain why they think playing him now will retard his growth? Is it just the blocking is horrible and they are worried he will develop bad habits by compensating for that (or even worse get hurt)? It just makes more sense to us average fans that you learn much more by doing something rather than just studying from afar.

Thanks! Go Cards!!!

91. By SteveDCO on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I would be shocked if AZ took a QB in the 1st round. I think Whiz really feels Skelton is the real deal but he wants to go slow. His comments of watching Rippen develop and probably watching Ben struggle as a rookie have convinced him that waiting is the best thing to do.

I’m hopeful they will be able to take the best D player in the draft, hopefully an OLB as everyone above them needs a QB and the best 2 or 3 will be off the board especially since a rookie wage scale should be in place.

I would look for a veteran signing to start early and let Skelton compete for the job (no way Whiz wil give it to him). A lot of FA QBs next year.

Darren — A lot of comments about Graves/ Whiz drafting. I look at the Qs, LSH, Hightowers, Tolers, Davis and see a lot of mid to late round gems. Johnson/Pace, Fitz, Matt, DRC, Wells, Williams a mixed bag on the 1st rounders but only one bust.(a lot of bust 1st round QBs though)

What is the ratio of players making a contibution to the team within 3 years versus the rest of the NFL?

Maybe just a gut feel now and before the 2011 draft a fun article to spark some debate?

92. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Mark —

RE: Skelton development

I think its everything. They believe watching for a while is better (Whisenhunt watched it with Mark Rypien when he was playing, for instance) and yes, bad habits could develop.

93. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

SteveDCO —

RE: Draft story

Definitely something I will tackle after the season.

94. By Adam on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

This whole thing boils down to Whiz’ passive, nervous, hesitant attitude. He doesn’t speak with conviction ever and his own players do not respect him. Adversity is when the real person shows up and Whiz has not shown up yet. His team gives a half *ss effort in every game.

Against the Rams they played hard because they really thought thet could beat the Rams because they beat them the first time around. Even the Rams know they are tougher than you.
    I”ll bet next week that the Broncos dominate the Cards and we will see the same quitting on the field and a result of bad coaching from the week.

These player sdon’t even look prepared to play in the games. They are just playing. Whiz, if you want to be relevant, you need to get rid of your whole coaching staff and start over with new ones that are detailed, focused, and know what they are doing. Again.. Who the heck is coach Raich???? I heard he was just a friend of Whiz’ at Pittsburgh who got moved up the ladder. Now thats BAD!!!

95. By Justin on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Anthony,
    To call fans dumb for being frustrated at the scenario we are in is…just dumb. Nobody here is saying that Leinart was or could have been the franchise guy that the Cardinals need. Just that, as has been clearly articulated throughout this season, he was our best option to win this division. In the preseason everyone complained that he was checking down too often. If it hasn’t been made glaringly obvious, that was out of necessity. Our O-line play was suspect in the preseason and has not proved to be any better throughout the year. Leinart checked down because he knew that he had to. He also completed close to 80% of his passes. Seems unheard of based on the QB play we have seen recently. Look at the success Warner had the last two seasons, it was by getting the ball out of his hands quickly to hide our poor O-line play and suspect blitz pick up. That opened up the field and made defenses question whether they should continue to blitz. When Leinart was cut, there was little doubt in my mind it would come back to bite us, and…low and behold, we are sitting at 3-9. A very lucky 3-9 at that. We very easily could be the only team in the NFL without a win at this point.

96. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

Adam —

RE: Players respect

Exactly how do you know “his own players do not respect him?”

97. By SierraVistaNick on Dec 6, 2010 | Reply

I talk about ML being 3rd string as a bad thing because as a first rounder AND a few years AND getting the chance to sit and learn from a Hall of Fame QB…he’s STILL 3rd string. Why would I ask for Skelton to start as a 3rd stringer? Because he’s good, really good. In watching him he does his progressions like a QB should, he’s accurate and can thread the needle. He’s mobile. Why is he “raw”. He just hasn’t seen that many defensive schemes and hasn’t had time to get the timing throws down.

He’s a learner he wants to be successful. ML isn’t a worker. If he were he’d have moved to the #2 role. There’s no way you replace Schaub with Leinert. I think Leinert may have given the Cards a better chance to win, but he also gave the Cards the better chance of getting receivers injured. All summer long I had nightmares of him doing what he does best, throwing high and sailing the ball. It puts the receivers in a NASTY position to make a play. Just look at Fitz’s first catch of the preseason.

It’s time to let Skelton develop on the field and let him see and adjust to the defense. Let him realize he maybe should’ve called an audible or killed a play or handed off instead of running. The season is over. It’s time for school. Ok, maybe not over…all that has to happen is for the Seachickens and Rams to lose out and the Cards to win out. Oh yeah and the niners would have to lose too.

98. By schmatty on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Daren I solute you for bein so professional no one knows the cards better then you and all these people, myself included, come at you like its your fault for postin a storey or actually havin fact behind what you say. Some people comments are just garbage like they know what’s goin on in the locker room or tell your you don’t know what your talkin about or u don’t get the picture. I’d no I’d lose it on someone. Big ups to you man!

99. By schmatty on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

And ps people callin for jamarcus biggest flop ever russel come on now! When will the qb carasell stop? And to compair russel to vick what are you smoking?!? You don’t replace a hall of famer in a year… The fards would be 500 or worse with leinart and all you idiots would be callin for da! Ya I get it its a bad division this year with leinart we could be in a position to win but what about next year when the whole division is better and we still have leinart… It takes a good draft pick, or someone else franchise qb to be let go to get a good qb they don’t just fall out of a tree. How many teams in the nfl actually have a solid qb???

100. By Utah Card on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

“I’ve learned it’s tough when you lose a quarterback like Kurt, and to have someone come in a play at the level you are used to without compensating in other areas is difficult.”

I was set to explode over the lack of personal accountability by Wizzer in this article, but I see that subject’s already been addressed by several posters. However, I would add that not only does his statement point blame at everyone but himself, even the content of his statement is false. Up until the defense realized Wizzer was going to run the team into the ground before he’d admit screwing up the QB situation, they were scoring quite a bit of points on their own. In addition, LSH has been giving the offense excellent starting field position on kick returns all season. And still Wizzer says “other areas” aren’t compensating? Yeah, right, that’s just one more lie from the Wizard of Id.

I will also echo Sean’s sentiment about losing trust in Wizzer. In his 12/5 column, Bickley says that there’s a rising credibility problem. It isn’t clear if he’s referring to the organization or to Wizzer, but I’m not sure it matters. I was one of the people who assumed that the lingering ineptitude in the Cardinals play for the first two years of Wizzer was a result of having a long-ingrained history of failure suddenly changed. Consequently, I was willing to give Wizzer a pass on that. However, it’s become clear that the Steelers knew what they were doing when they passed over Wizzer and hired Tomlin. I really don’t care for Tomlin, but there’s no doubt that Tomlin’s main goal is to win, and he won’t compromise that goal, be it from stupid yet talented receivers, or from underperforming players he happens to personally like. In that sense, Tomlin strikes me as being much like Boldin. Boldin’s desire to succeed is unquestionable, yet somehow he just didn’t measure up as Wizzer’s kind of guy. Huh? How does that make any sense for a coach who claims to want the best players? I don’t care how many times Boldin said he wouldn’t sign again with the Cards, if Wizzer had fought for him, and Boldin had believed in Wizzer’s integrity, I believe Boldin would have stayed. And even though I thought Leinart deserved to be cut, he certainly didn’t deserve to be given the revolving-door, excuse-of-the-week reason for why he was cut. You know that players see something like that happen and start wondering if it could happen to them too, especially after a player like Boldin has been shipped out.

So Wizzer can finally acknowledge a season long QB problem, then try to CYA and deflect the issue by pointing at other teams having QB problems, all he wants. The fans and the players who pay attention know that the collapse of the Cardinals this season is ALL due to Wizzer. But instead of admitting that reality, we instead continue to see that, just as Boldin said, Wizzer isn’t “man enough”.

101. By Jeff Workman on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Been a Cardinal fan since the days in St. Louis. Cardinals need a quarterback who can run the west coast offense and get Fitz the ball like Kurt did. Why doesn’t anyone give Colt Brennen a shot? He was one of the most prolific quarterbacks running the west coast offense and could get the ball out quick to Fitz and Breaston. He has to be better than what they have now and what they have on the bench. At least Colt was very successful in college and with the Redskins before getting cut.

102. By RFHarris on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

RE Ottis Anderson and KW

I agree with Ottis on his comments which I appreciated. Whiz is hurting and I bet set on righting the ship he should be given another year maybe two to fix things. Almost as painful as watching the Cards lose is the nastiness on this site, makes you wonder about what those people are like in real life.

KW walked away from millions to spend more time with his family, many may not realize that coaches spend more time away from their families than do players. I don’t see him wanting to coach at any level at least while he still has children growing up.

103. By Jahstone on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

This season is turning into a joke…a team is supposed to learn and grow,

Darren – Do you know when was the last time the Cards had a 7 game losing streak? I know in 2002 we lost 9 of our last ten…this year reminds me of that one…early hope only to get crushed in the end! Thanks!

104. By A Different Sean on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Why didnt we just go out and get Tom Brady or even Peyton Manninf?

What the hell was Whiz thinking?

You guys crack me up.

105. By Darren Urban on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Jahstone —

RE: losing streak

They lost 8 straight in Denny Green’s final season, 2006.

106. By Scott H on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Anthony –

I really don’t know where you’ve been all season…but in case ya haven’t noticed – YOU are in the extreme minority. Have whatever opinion you want to have. But when there are SOOOOO many people who are just so outwardly disgusted with the way this team is playing, does it really make sense to you to suggest that they are dumb and don’t know what they’re talking about??? As Cards’ fans, many of us are mad as hell this year and, yes, that can sometimes lead to irrational thinking. But when a coach continues to label a QB as the guy who gives us the best chance to win as the team is losing 5-6-7 games in a row…you’re gonna tell US that WE’RE dumb and don’t know what we’re talking about when we start to find fault with that??? You must be kidding…PLEASE tell me you’re kidding.

107. By UltimateCard on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

“I’ve been saying all along he didn’t regret the move, and now he said it publicly”

If he truly believes that he should be fired. This is sky is blue type of stuff here. There is no debate.

108. By booh-yah on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

NO EXCUSE FOR WHIZ. After experiencing the quarterback level of play from
    a future Hall of Famer, Kurt Warner; then selecting a QB who was cut from a
    team that hasn’t made the playoffs for what seems like forever, plus a month, is ludicrous at best! What was he thinking? Maybe Leinart didn’t rub everyone the right way, but he came from a system that was USE TO WINNING. A lot of money was spent on this guy, aren’t you even curious to see how it would play out?

Then you say you’re concerned about your obligation to the fans? NOT SO. Poll the fans and you will hear otherwise. Warner, Fitz and few others made Whiz look good. I’m not saying he isn’t a good coach, but this lone decision destroyed this year’s outcome. Anderson CANNOT PLAY THE POSITION.
    He was a .220 hitter when he got here, and he’ll leave at .200. He doesn’t have the ability to do any better, so to even consider him for the rest of year
    is insane. Skelton needs the time to mature;give him the opportunity and groom for next year, see what happens. That’s all the teams got at this point.

The fans want to know what the young players look like and see if we have any real talent. Winning the remaining games means nothing. Learning what the team is about means everything, for next year. That Whiz owes to the fans. He seems more concerned about his won lost record.