• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Your daily QB update

Posted by Darren Urban on December 9, 2010 – 2:04 pm

Your daily quarterback update comes with it little change. Derek Anderson still hasn’t passed all his concussion tests and so he has not been cleared to practice, and that continues to be major factor in this whole deal. Will Anderson clear by tomorrow (because I can’t see him playing if he can’t practice Friday, especially with this injury)? If he does clear, he will be considered.

“You know what he can do,” coach Ken Whisenhunt said Thursday. “If he’s not having the symptoms of the concussion, he had been showing improvement. He is definitely still in the mix.”

That said, I still think John Skelton is probable, although Whisenhunt said he has not made any decisions and wouldn’t until the Cards got through practice Friday.

“You understand going in there are things you have to live with in the game,” Whisenhunt said. “We have adjusted our plan to try and make sure we give (Skelton) an opportunity to do things he is comfortable with so he can play fast and make some of those throws. But when you play a team like this (with a coaching change), you don’t know what they are going to do. I guess we’ll get to see an evaluation on how these guys handle that.”

As for Skelton’s preparation, “He’s putting a lot of time in,” Whisenhunt said. “I’ll tell you, he’s here morning and night. The hard part is taking the learning aspect on to the field. But he is working hard at it.”

Skelton has been spending extra time with the coaches the past two weeks, drawing up plays and showing the coaches a better understanding of the concepts. Doing it again on the field is something different, though.

“There’s a lot of things you have to process, whether it is a blitz, a dog, whether you have a hot, a sight, whether you make sure you go to the right side of the field, whether it is one high or two high, you could sit here and talk for five minutes all the things he has to process in a matter of seconds,” Whisenhunt said.

– Other than CB Michael Adams (shoulder), who as upgraded to full, there were no changes in the injury report. Anderson was out, and five players — Steve Breaston (knee), Calais Campbell (ankle), Jay Feely (groin), Clark Haggans (groin) and Joey Porter (knee) — were limited.

– Receiver Larry Fitzgerald left to attend his grandfather’s funeral in Chicago, but he will play Sunday.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

70 Responses to “Your daily QB update”

1. By Brandon on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

“You know what he can do”
    Yes we do know Whiz what DA can do, throw for somewhere around 50% accuracy. Overthrow screen passes by 5 yards, overthrow a WIDE OPEN Fitzgerald time after time after time… When he does complete a pass its usually high causing our Wrs to extend to make a catch and risking big hits + injury. He can also turn an entire fan base against a coach who had taken a bad franchise to a super bowl appearance. That’s what he can do, now why again at 3-9, and 7 straight losses would he still be in the mix?

2. By Gang6230 on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

What’s your take Darren now that u have been watching them practice. Whose better prepared ? Who shows more competency ? Skelton or the other guy. Do u feel there’s a fear on the coach wanting to start Skelton.
    I personally feel Anderson had it. It’s two straight weeks he gets bood in the field.

3. By Darren Urban on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

Gang6230 –

RE: QBs in practice

We are not allowed to report what happens in practice.

Do I think Whiz fears starting Skelton? Fear is not the right word. But Whisenhunt doesn’t like playing rookies all that much, and I would guess that would increase at the most important position on the field.

4. By CJ on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

Why is it so HARD for Whiz to name a starter? His idea on open competition clearly hasn’t worked and is messing with the confidence of some players and is affecting their performance. Name your starting QB and let him build some confidence knowing he is the starter and taking reps with the first team.

5. By shawnsass` on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

hey darren whats your take on drafting a qb in the first round. who would you think the cards would pick up,or do we stick with developing skelton.

6. By brad Oneill on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

I hope you are allowed to bring a gameboy or something to practice Darren. i would hate for you to have to watch all that for nothing.

7. By HBIC on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

I’m sorry but if Whiz didn’t like playing rookies he shouldn’t have let his ego get in the way when he got rid of Leinart. The past is the past but a coach we once “believed in” is turning out to be like every other coach who just comes in and destroys our franchise. Now I’m kinda wishing we had Green back, at least he evaluated talent, drafted great players, progressed them and put quality on the field!!! Now all those players are practically gone. Why doesn’t Whiz just let Skelton play so the fans can see that the coach actually wants to try to win and also so he can start looking into a starting QB for next year. It is obvious that Hall was a mistake to #1 keep on the team and #2 be the second string. I personally like Hall but he is nothing but a practice squad QB. Also I have to just LOL at the thought that Andersen can “be in the mix”. I am still trying to figure out why and how Andersen is still in the NFL let alone why he hasn’t been released yet. If he is playing with his “Heart and Soul” maybe he needs to find his talent first because it is not enough!!!! Come on WHIZ, show us you actually want to win, play a QB that can complete a pass!!!!

8. By Bryan on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

So if Skelton starts do you predict a win against the lowly Broncos Darren?

9. By CZarr on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

Its good to hear Skelton is working his butt off. I hope he does well.

Its also good to hear that one of our quarterbacks hunts javelinas (which are no joke, believe me) with nothing but his dogs and a knife. Hopefully he can translate those balls of steel off the field into something on the field.

I was looking for any clips I could find of him throwing in the past, but I can’t really find anything. Have you seen anything around from his time with the Skins Darren?

10. By CZarr on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

I must not have been paying too much attention during the preseason game he played against us.

11. By Rich on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

If Skelton starts I’m interested in going to the game. If the other guys starts, I’m not. Does Whiz realize he has fans to please? It is entertainment, after all. Its all about him – that’s why he can’t share limelight with a big time QB (other than Warner who is a unique personality). We are destined to mediocrity with a coach who doesn’t realize – he ain’t the attraction !!!

12. By Frustrated on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

I am just purely speculating, but from the way I see it Anderson starts, Bartel is second and Skelton is third. Otherwise, Skelton would have flat been named the starter. This is naturally assuming that Anderson is cleared to play.

13. By Darren Urban on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

Shawn –

RE: Draft QB

Not sure who. Depends on when they pick. And yes, I think they seriously look at doing so.

14. By Darren Urban on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

Bryan –

RE: Prediction

No idea.

15. By tom manoogian on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

whiz has bit off WAYmore than he can chew.been a cards fans over 45 years,so i get mad and disgusted,but every sunday i watch on nfl package,and it was really nice last 2 years.this year i think a rookie coach got to much of himself and made and has made some really bad choices.we have big time players on offense,just not an nfl qb,but i have said this before.our defense is a JOKE,half the games we have lost we would have lost if our defense was playing flag football.we have a qb problem on offense,we have every player problem on defense-maybe 2 players and wilson is not one of them,have talent and that’s a fact.it is without a doubt the worst,underachieving nfl football players to be assembled on an nfl d roster.if there was bad news bears in nfl,it would be copied by our defense.but hey whiz,don’t start skelton,good thing he doesn’t coach the rams–but wait ,they are in 1st place–really sure rams fans are glad whiz isn’t there coach.

16. By Darren Urban on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

CZarr –

RE: Bartel video

17. By David C. on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

Darren, How were the reps split today at practice? And did Whiz run the scout team?

18. By Gary stevenson on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

Fire the lot of them!! Play DRC. Now that’s a cards game fans could watch!!

19. By Jesse Robles on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

Haha, I hope Skelton is the man just because Your Whizinator continually criticizes him. DA has to have black mail on Whiz to be in any talks of actually still playing in the NFL as an organization.

20. By Marcello on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

Darren…

that’s the first time I’m writing, I’ve watched all Arizona Games this season, a bit hard to get a broadcast here in Brazil, but as long as I could see besides QB issue, I cannot trust on the ofensive line, am I getting it wrong?!?!

based on that I think, will it be imparing Skelton’s efforts!?

thxs

21. By Darren Urban on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

Marcello –

RE: OLine

You are not the first to be concerned with the offensive line. I don’t think the line has been stellar, but I don’t think any unit can say that. I think there is a symbiotic relationship between the QB and the line, though, and better QB play tends to help the line too.

22. By Mike Ellingboe on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

HBIC,

I get your frustration but wanting Green back? Dockett and Dansby didn’t mature and become Pro Bowl/borderline Pro Bowl players until the Whiz arrived. Lutui was a constant work in progress in regards to his weight and penalties. Antrel Rolle was drafted as a CB, and Green saw the wisdom in putting Warner on the bench for Leinart. We overpaid for our quick fix big name free agent signing in Edgerrin James and he left behind a train wreck of an offensive line that we’re still trying to rebuild to this day. To refresh your memory he went 6-10, 5-11 and 5-11, no playoff appearances/wins, no Super Bowl appearance, nothing. Just one memorable rant after making history by being the first coach to blow a 20 point lead going into the fourth without giving up an offensive TD.

I don’t like that way this season has played out either but let’s not be that revisionist in our memories of what we were before the Whiz arrived.

23. By wayne on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

I’m pretty sure Kyle Orton is a free agent after this season and with the need for defensive help, what is your opinion on trying to sign Orton and then using the first couple of picks on defense ? I think Skelton has the size and the arm but the CARDS have been saying all year he is not close to being ready. The main reason i would want to sign a VET like Orton is because FITZ has one year left and I am not sure he would sign and wait for a young QB to develop, plus Orton has been a pleasant surprise the last couple of seasons with a recieving corps not even close to the CARDS and could help us get back to the top.
    thanks Darren

24. By Darren Urban on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

Wayne –

RE: Orton

Orton signed a one-year extension before the season. He is signed through 2011.

25. By Bryan on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

Here’s another one for you Darren,

With Skelton as a possible starter, do you think the cardinals will try and draft another QB to replace Anderson? And Do you think the Cardinals will release Anderson after the season over?

26. By Brad on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

Hi Darren, can you confirm how many TD passes DA has thrown in the past 7 games?

27. By sean p on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

Improvement? Wow, he sure is being nice, or naive, either way, still, I’m still predicting another DA start, or Bartel start, leaning more towards Bartel since DA has not passed his tests yet. Whis will not want to start Skelton no matter what, he likes being right, and he will keep him out, so I’m calling a Bartel start right now. And if Skelton does start, then I’ll be very very happy, good to see that I’d be wrong.

28. By Chris Hill on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I’m just wondering why the cards drafted skelton this year if they’re highly likely to draft a quarterback high in next years draft. It just doesn’t make much sense to me.

29. By Darren Urban on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

Bryan –

RE: QB questions

My gut says yes to both.

30. By Darren Urban on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

Chris –

RE: QBs

Until you have a QB, you keep drafting until you have one. What’s the worst that happens? Skelton and 2011-drafted-QB both turn out to be quality and you trade one (a la Matt Schaub, possible Kolb, or Mark Brunell or Matt Hasselbeck once upon a time).

31. By Darren Urban on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

Brad –

RE: DA TD passes

A random time frame, but nonetheless, Anderson has four TD passes in the last seven games.

32. By wayne on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the upate on Ortons extension

Wayne

33. By joe again on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

To all you Whiz haters:

Why should coach tip his hand to Denver by naming his QB early — just to make fans like you happy? I’m sure coach and everybody on the team already knows, but theres no reason to tell the Broncos. Keep them guessing.

34. By georgiebird on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

Someone should tell Whiz the season is over and it’s time to stop with the “cat and mouse” games.
    I still am amazed at some of the fans who want to cut Whiz some slack since he went to the SB. The fact is most fans don’t feel Whiz was the major reason for the Cards making the SB. This year, even with being one of the healthiest teams in football (if not the healthiest) , he is now the head coach of just about the worst team in football.
    In retrospect, this team was the proverbial House of Cards. There was no foundation of sound players which would keep the team from falling so far so fast.
    As I see it, Kurt Warner nearly pulled off the biggest magical act in the history of the NFL.

35. By Gary stevenson on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I believe Tebow has 4 Tds. 3 rushing and 1 passing. They never even play the kid! He is a winner! DA a looser!! Hope we try to get Tebow this offseason’

36. By TBru on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

No time to comment, I am very busy stuffing the pro bowl ballot box with Richard Bartel ballots. Anyone care to help, I think we can make this happen.

37. By Scott H on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

Brandon -

I was all set to respond, and then I realized I couldn’t improve on what you said in your post. You nailed it. Whiz making comments like Anderson has been showing improvement and is still in the mix pretty much tells you all you need to know about the thinking that has torpedoed this season for all of us. Still in the mix??? WHAT MIX??? WHAT THE HELL IS HE TALKING ABOUT??? The fact that Anderson may ( somehow ) be the best of a bad lot doesn’t mean that he doesn’t still suck. We knew this season was going to be rough after Warner’s departure. That was inevitable. But to fall to a possible 3-13 after a possible 11-game losing streak??? There is NO WAY we should have fallen THAT far. This is completely on the coaches, starting with the head coach.

38. By Andrew Luck Fan on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Bummer i thought Orton was a free agent after this season, maybe we can get Bulger, Kolb McNabb Vick or Manning ….i can hope right

39. By Mailand on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Hi Darren.
    Who do you see as most likely for the Cards to get as a vet QB?

40. By jan on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Darren was wondering if we will ever get rid of Levi Brown the guy is responsible more 90% of sacks allowed in the last 2 or 3 seasons if he isn’t getting beat he is offsides. why did we trade Reggie Wells when we could have put him or duece in Browns spot. Get rid of Brown and the O-Line will look tons better. well thats my thought but what do I know I never got passed being a full back for my highschool team. Just calling what i see the most. thanks

41. By jerry on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

drc is over rated.he sucks

42. By Scott J on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

I agree with Brandon 100%. Why are we concerned if Anderson can go or not. He shouldn’t be out there. He is terrible. Whiz loses credibility every time I hear him say Anderson gives them the best chance to win. He should say Anderson gives them the best chance at getting a very high draft pick next year because he sucks.

I have an idea. If you don’t have a qb, quit throwing it so much. Warner is no longer on this team. RUN THE BALL! I was a huge supporter of Whiz but just don’t understand his play calling this year.

43. By johnnybluenose on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

i know skelton is raw and he has only played one quarter of one game this year …but he has been practising with this team for six months. he knows the players and the offence. bartel has only been here a few days and whiz is seriously thinking of starting him on sunday?? DARREN, WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON AROUND HERE?

44. By Brian on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

I don’t think the time frame is that random – Cards have lost 7 games in a row. That is probably what he is referring to, it’s the time frame a lot of fans are thinking about right now.

45. By Kasdan on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Brad is asking for seven games because we have 7 straight losses. 4 TD passes in a 7 game span = TERRIBLE (cue Charles Barkley).

46. By Darren Urban on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Georgie –

RE: “cat and mouse”

Let me ask this question: What makes you think, internally, he hasn’t made a decision? Ultimately, as much as it frustrates fans, there is no NFL rule that says he has to announce such things.

47. By Darren Urban on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Mailand –

RE: Veteran QB

No idea. Let’s see who is available first.

48. By Darren Urban on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Brian –

RE: Time frame

Except Derek didn’t start two of those games.

49. By Chuck 1 on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

I have an idea!!!
    Rod and Whiz should sign Mean Joe Green, Jack Lambert, Jack Ham and Franco Harris.
    After all, they were Steelers and from the AFC Central.
    And, maybe Otto Graham, Lou Groza and Leroy Kelly.
    They were Browns and also from the AFC Central.

50. By CZarr on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the video Darren.

51. By Gary stevenson on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Hey but we have a pro bowl kicker!! Way to go cards.

52. By RIan on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Here’s a crazy thought.

Could coach be HOPING and PRAYING that DA can start another game and have a good solid outing so that in the off-season his trade value would be up to, lets say a 6th round pick?

Maybe he’s hoping to get something out of the guy off the field since he couldn’t get anything on the field.

Just a thought

53. By montana card man on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

This is becoming a Joke. Yes we know Anderson can lose a lot of games. The coach is in total denial! I love him for what he has done in Arizona but this is borderline insanity. Go with Skelton the rest of the season WE HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE!

54. By NJCardsFan on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

ANDREW LUCK !!!!!!!

Can you please please get in someone’s ear within the organization and tell them to do anything they can to draft this guy? They will have stability at the QB position(aside from injury) for a solid 15 years at least. Look at the Rams. There isn’t one person on this blog that wouldn’t be licking their chops to have Sam Bradford. Well Andrew Luck can be our Sam Bradford. Do you know if Luck is even on the Cards radar ??

55. By Dennsi on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

For Whiz to think that DA is still in the mix is absurd. Does he really think that by not naming a QB he is keeping the Broncos guessing? They could care less who we put at QB. They are going to Blitz and Blitz all day. We haven’t proven all year that our O Line can handle a Blitz. There is no way Anderson should take another snap this year, barring injury to Skelton and Bartel. Skelton is an unknown commodity and the Broncos couldn’t prepare for him anyway. The season is over. The Cards and Broncos are both in dissary and this may be our only chance to win one of our final games. Put Skelton in and live or die with him for the rest of this year.

56. By cards62 on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Darren could you please do an article on the BIdwills thoughts on this season, the way the team has played. Leinart & QB situation and their thoughts on the 2011 season.

Darren could you please also do the same with Rod Graves.
    I do not live in the area so maybe I have missed something, but I do not recall seeing or hearing any comments from them.

Darren I liked your article on Dan WIlliams. I agree he played much better against the Rams, but I still have not made my mind up on him as a player yet.
    Have you made up your mind yet if he is a player or not?
    What is wrong with our front seven against the run and pass? I know all are to blame but is it mainly the d line or linebackers fault. Sure would be nice to have 2 Clay Mathews Jr. running around at LB.

Thank you Darren for all you do and have a very merry Christmas.

Rlan your thouight is not only crazy but very funny. No team would give up a pick for the worse starting QB in the NFL. I think teams would make us give them draft choices and a cup of soup just for taking Derek Anderson off our hands ha ha ha, thanks for the laugh Rlan.

Steve

57. By Bill L on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Cards Have to Draft a QB. I can’t see them giving up Multiple picks for Kolb. The draft figures to be Mallett or Newton, both should be available whether Luck(#1) comes out or not. The problem is that NEITHER has more potential than Matt right now and of course way less experience. And neither can cover for the O-line. So a wasted year, a step back at QB, an Impact player passed on, and another bad year ahead……..and if the guy busts, or has a spat with Whiz, or wants too much money……..well, the Cards can stink for years.

Personally, I’d rather fire Whiz and pick up Matt as a FA……..Draft the best available player with #1…….draft O-Line with 2 and 3……sign atleast one player(PLAYER) as a FA for the D………and FIRST, LAST and ALWAYS get the Owner to commit to spend ABOVE the top quarter of the league in salaries for players and coaches…………..Dreams?…..yeah, I think so!

58. By clssylssy on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

The fact that DA has not passed all his medical tests by now concerns me and he’s “still in the mix”? It seems that the responsible thing to do for everybody concerned is to sit him out…better to error on the side of caution. I can’t imagine why Anderson would be considered after being out the entire week with a head injury. Seems the players need a better Player’s Association to advocate for their interest, since they are but a piece of meat to everyone else. As fans we need to show support for our players. GO CARDS! LET’S GET A WIN AGAINST THE DONKEYS!

59. By Darren Urban on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Cards62 –

RE: Bidwills/Graves

I will ask. But in the past they have declined, letting Whisenhunt speak for the organization.

60. By Darren Urban on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Bill L –

RE: QBs

Just to clarify … you are saying Cam Newton right now does not have more NFL potential than Matt Leinart right now?

61. By Bill L on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Yeah, that’s right. Newton is more hype than fact IMO. Maybe in the 20′s he is a pick. If even Matt and Newton were both seniors, Matt would be the better pick. Add in that 2(TWO) coaching staffs after seeing Matt through training camp(s) have said that Matt is an NFL quality starter…..the latest being before the 2010 Draft……..Now if you can get Whiz and whoever to detail that conversation, it would be VERY INTERESTING……it was had…..you and I both know it…….and the decision was Matt is an NFL quality Starter. All I hear about Cam is how many yards he ran for, more than Tebow, and improper money dealings. He’s got a strong arm, but so did the LSU #1. Matt is much less a gamble now……..and I think BETTER.

62. By Darren Urban on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Bill L –

RE: Leinart v Newton

I would venture you would have trouble finding many NFL scouts to agree with your premise. I would think, if for no other reason than to have him close to potentially re-sign him, that teams would have been tripping over themselves to sign Leinart when he was released at the end of camp if he was indeed viewed through your prism. He was not.

63. By Bill L on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Which one? Over-hyped?………no, released I suspect……and in your OWN WORDS……..at END of CAMP…….even YOU know Rosters were set……the last hard cuts were made……….so let’s bring in Matt that is kicked out under a Cloud of BS by Whiz……..bad leader……..can’t put zip in team…….not enough snap……..despite Whiz and Cards Matt stayed in the NFL and will get a stellar…..reccomendation(several) from the Texans…..GIVE ME A BREAK…. even from a HOMER!!!!! Matt will be picked up this off season……and Newton will likely be a Card……then we will actually see, without YOU making up imaginary team opinions.

64. By Brian on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Daren-

May not have started in two of them, but played in all of them, and played a significant number of snaps in all but maybe one. Regardless of who started, everyone is thinking about the last 7 games. Probably what is more striking is the fact that we could ask how many TDS has Derek thrown all season and its not much better. 7

65. By Darren Urban on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Bill L –

RE: Leinart/Newton

I have no idea if the Cards like Newton. This really has nothing to do with the Cardinals, actually (at least not for me; you clearly are carrying some resentment). But before you start accusing me of things, let’s make some things clear. If both were available in the draft this year, you really think a team would take Leinart ahead of Newton? I’m not even trying to say Leinart can’t play. But the original premise is that Leinart has more potential right now.

I’d love to hear from some of the other posters on this subject. Maybe I’m off base.

66. By TBru on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

I don’t want a prima donna quarterback. No Heisman trophy winners no #1 picks. No one who is anointed as a superstar and given a billion dollars before throwing a single pass. I want a grocery store stocker who had to fight his way through the Arena League and Euro League. I want a 5th round pick from a non traditional football powerhouse school, who got his chance due to injuries and ineffective play in front of him. I want someone who is able to ride the pine with dignity and might not be wanting to go back after getting his chance. I want a QB who loves football more than money. I want a QB who can take a lickin’ and keep on ticken’. I want a QB who is humble yet confident about his abilities and is gratefull to have an opportunity.

Sure a guy named Luck could be a boon to the marketing department the plays on word are endless, but at the end of the day, is a high profile QB worth the headache?

67. By Mike Ellingboe on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

In regards to Bill L’s comments, no, you’re not off-base. He’s completely delusional in his assessment of Leinart. If the Texans liked him that much he wouldn’t still be their #3 QB. If the rest of the league liked him that much then where was the interest (as you correctly noted)? If he’s so great why did he have the starting job in his grasp only to lose it twice? If he couldn’t get picked ahead of Vince Young there is no way the scouts would be ranking him ahead of guys like Luck, Newton, Gabbert, Mallett, Locker, etc.

Having said that, I’ll admit to having some skepticism about Newton as well since he tends to remind me a little bit of Young if you look at their respective college careers, and his off-the-field issues should be a red flag. But to the original point, we’ve seen Leinart’s ceiling already, and it isn’t very high.

68. By Blair on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

I would take leinart…. I don’t know why so many people try to make him sound so bad. Out of the ten or so games I’ve seen him play he looked a heck of a lot better than hall or anderson have this year.

69. By Scott H on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

Scott J-

I hear ya. The play-calling this year has been right up there with the handling of the QB situation and the incomprehensible loyalty that Whiz has shown Anderson. In other words, it has defied logic and been god awful. That is something that MUST change next season. Whiz calling the plays when he had Warner of the field is one thing. Without a QB of Warner’s caliber to make the offense go, Whiz has proven to VERY ineffective as an offensive coordiantor. Yeah, the team is not as good as it has been but his play calling has done nothing to help make them better. Seriously, he needs to make an honest evaluation of how things went this season. And if he is being honest and keeping it real, the ONLY sensible thing he can do for the good of the team is to get an offensive coordiantor in here and let that guy take over the play calling. No shame in that, by the way. Sometimes being the head coach AND one of the coordiantors is just too much and it doesn’t work out.

2. Dec 10, 2010: Sports Review