Friday before the Broncos

Posted by Darren Urban on December 10, 2010 – 4:44 pm

John Skelton, starting quarterback.

If you would have told me back at the beginning of August that would be the case in early December, I would have said, “Uh oh.” But this is where the Cards sit, a season off the rails, record-wise, and even though coach Ken Whisenhunt was basically pushed into this situation because of circumstances, I agree with many that this is the best decision to make.

We’ll see what Skelton brings to a full game. This isn’t about two throws down the field after coming into a game late, like Skelton completed last week against the Rams. This is a whole game, and more importantly, a whole game for which the opponent can prep.

The upside to Skelton? His arm strength is impressive. And I do like his mental makeup, at least from what I can see. As I have mentioned before, he tends to be even-keeled (and sounds it). He said today he usually doesn’t get nervous. The downside? Well, besides the fact he hasn’t done it, the lack of work he’s had with his fellow starters is glaring. As the third-stringer, his work with the main offensive players has basically been this week. Larry Fitzgerald was even absent today attending his grandfather’s funeral, so that’s one less day of work.

Undoubtedly, how Skelton performs will be Sunday’s story. From the Cardinals’ perspective, at least.

– Remember the last time the Cardinals faced a team that had just undergone a coaching change game week? It was late in 2007, when the Atlanta Falcons, their season trashed right before it began when Michael Vick was nailed for dogfighting charges, had coach Bobby Petrino walk out on them. The Falcons were a mess when they came to Arizona, yet took the Cards to overtime before Arizona pulled out a 30-27 victory.

The Falcons were stubborn that day. Wondering if the Broncos will play as inspired.

– Defensive lineman Alan Branch was fined $10,000 for “unnecessarily” hitting Rams quarterback Sam Bradford in the head/neck area. It was on a play late in Sunday’s game, and the Cards weren’t even sure it should have been a penalty.

– With no Josh McDaniels as coach, the Broncos not only lose their head man, but also their playcaller. “That really throws a wrench into it as far as what to expect,” Whisenhunt said.

– While the idea is still to win games, I think Whisenhunt will look more at those younger players – more than already, anyway. He already praised nose tackle Dan Williams for his recent play, and I wouldn’t be surprised if linebacker Daryl Washington is used more often on defense.

– Fitzgerald breaks his tie with Anquan Boldin for most receptions in franchise history (586) with his first Sunday. … He gets one, right?

– When you see the Cardinals having converted just 26.5 percent of third downs this season (opponents are a shade over 40 percent), you have a great understanding of their offensive woes. Of 137 possessions this season, 52 have ended in three plays or less (a three-and-out or a turnover within three plays), or 38 percent. The Cards need to extend drives to have a chance. Of the 147 third downs the Cards have faced, 100 have been for at least six yards.

“We’ve had opportunities to make catches and we haven’t. We’ve had opportunities to move in the pocket and make throws and we haven’t,” Whisenhunt said. “It comes down to be able to make plays. You see it every game. Very frustrating. You know every play or every scheme you call isn’t going to work. Sometimes it comes down to making a play and we haven’t done it.”

– The Cardinals still need one return touchdown this season to give them nine this year and break the NFL record. It’d be nice to do that Sunday. Skelton would probably like the help.

Tags: , , , , , ,

83 Responses to “Friday before the Broncos”

1. By MikeG on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren– It will be interesting to see Skelton start but I like it. It gives him playing time and I would start him the remaining four games. I think he is our future and this a a great learning experience. I do like his size –he is just young and raw. I don’t think the other 2 QB’s will be with us next year. I think we need to play guys at this point that have an upside(young & hungry). Beside getting stability from the QB position which other postion do you think we need to really upgrade???? I think linebacker!!! What do you think??? Enjoy the game!

2. By cardsalltheway on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

“Uh oh,”
    What’s wrong? It’s not like Skelton can do any worse than Max Hall(what a joke) or D. Anderson. Ken W. needs to get a grip on how to deal with players, fellow coaches, and rookies. In my opinion he wasted Matt Leinart and after that dunce move he wasted John Skelton and the Cards season. Ken W’s moves have looked so idiotic, they are unforgiveable and he’s lucky I’m not the owner. If I were he would’ve been gone a long time ago.
    “Anderson out, so Cards forced to start rookie QB Skelton.” Great, let it be known to all that Ken W. gets ZERO credit for starting John Skelton! Go ahead Darren and live in fear “Uh oh,” LOL. I said “Uh oh” almost everytime Max Hall went back to pass in fear he was going to get his head knocked off his pencil neck. Little fellas ought not play in the NFL for they can’t see their receivers or over linemen.

3. By MIKEFLORIO on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Did you read that article that ranks Breaston as 6th on the list of downfield threats and big yard recievers based on his speed???? Since were closing shop early this year urb any way you could organize a Players Apperciation Day??? I dont care if we are the worst team in the NFL. Still would be nice to get close enough to WHIZ and roundhouse him. LOL

4. By brian on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

I just learned today on the radio that last year the league minimum salery cap was 111million and this year with no minimum the Bidwills went with 85 million 23% less. You get what you pay for except all of you poor season ticket holders. I now believe that we have had some good coaches and wiz is one of them. I have ripped him in the past but now I understand it all starts at the top. If ownership will not get you the players you need to win then how can you. Give a man an impossible task don’t be surrprised with the results.

5. By Darren Urban on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Cardsall –

RE: Your extra posts

I have to say you’re getting to the point where I may just remove you from the equation for awhile. You want to make good points go ahead. But — and I know I’ve made this point before — you have to be one miserable person to continue to be so over-the-top negative. Nobody else — nobody — is so consistently negative. I have zero idea why you are a fan.

6. By Dylan on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Cardsall-

as a college qb at 5’11 with some of the linemen more then 6’4 you dont need to throw over your linemen you have passing lanes just like you have running lanes… idk maybe im wrong but i did play the position i didn make it very far.. like the nfl but you do know the drew brees is easily only 5’11 unlike his 6’1 stat on nfl.com

7. By CZarr on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Cardsalltheway,

You seem like one of those guys that always goes for it on 4th and 27 in Madden 11. You’d make a GREAT owner.

-.. .. . .. -. .- ..-. .. .-. .

8. By CZarr on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Brian,

I’ve made that point in the past. It won’t be received well here. =P I will say that we’ve gotten Bidlowed again this year.

9. By cardsalltheway on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

I’m all for John Skelton, how is that negative? It’s just too bad it took this long for him to start and even when he is he’s still “not ready.” I’d say Ken W. is the most miserable person associated with the Cards whether fan or not(you’re not far behind given that you agree with almost everything he says). Being a Cards fan this year is a miserable experience, that’s NOT my fault.

10. By CZarr on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Cardsalltheway,

I’ve also found a nice video for you to watch of “a little guy”. You might recognize the name.

11. By brian on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

I need to give Fitz some praise, what a standup guy he has not complained once this year about touches. When guys like TO get another shot time and time again and then keeps running his mouth like he is the only guy on the team. Good work Fitz way to lead buy example, hope you stick around.

12. By Gary Stevenson on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Darren, That is the point!! Due to the poor business decisions and penny pinching of the owners, YOU ARE LOSING FANS!!!

13. By cardsalltheway on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

It’s too bad you see the glass half empty, unlike Dan Bickly Arizona columnist…
    “…Until then, vitriol will continue to flow. The passion is a good sign, an indication that fans still are engaged.”

“Whisenhunt reinstalled himself as offensive coordinator, seems to have chosen poorly at defensive coordinator (after Bidwill agreed to fire family friend Clancy Pendergast), and showed traces of arrogance so prevalent in his profession:”

It’s too bad Ken W. is so arrogant. Does Dan Bickley mean cronyism exists within the Cardinals organization? Hmmm, I never saw that even with Max Hall(sarcasm off).
    “He believed he could manage Anderson and turn him into a winning quarterback. That was an awful idea. You don’t put wings on a goat and expect soft landings.”
    That Bickley quote is spot on!
    Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2010/12/09/20101209arizona-cardinals-getting-what-they-paid.html#ixzz17lkDB8zk

14. By DHALL on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

LOL… Good point Darren!!

15. By Jim in Missouri on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Good call, Darren.

I don’t think any Arizona fan is happy with how this season has turned out, and I’m sure most fans (including me) let off steam once in a while, but if being a fan makes someone as miserable in real life as some consistently seem to be on here, then it’s time to stop watching the games.

Read a book, take a walk, go to a movie, do any one of 1000 things that can be done on a Sunday afternoon that don’t include things that obviously make you so unhappy.

Unless, of course, someone is holding a gun to your head, forcing you to watch this season continue to spiral out of control. And if that’s the case, then you’ve got worse problems than the quality of QB play you’re seeing.

16. By Bill B. on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

This is our one game we get to go to this year and I’m glad Skelton will be starting. Will be more interesting than if it was the same old thing as the season has gone.
    Couldn’t afford to re-up our season tickets this year :(
    I just hope someone has gotten on the O-line’s case and their performance improves. Some of them have been real dismal all season!

Good luck Cards! We’ll be there cheering for you!

17. By brad Oneill on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Wooohoooo! i am really excited to see skelton. i know he probably wont be the next john elway but he is like the last present us Cards fans get to unwrap this year. and to be honest most of our other ones kind of sucked.

the beanie/ hightower super running back set was supposed to bust down defensive linemen all year but the damn thing kept coughing up balls and seemed to get caught in the carpet.
    Next we ripped into the Larry Fitzgerald super receiver but without a way to get it the ball it just kept running around in circles and never really lived up to the picture on the box.
    The hyphen was the one big surprise this year. every time the other toys disappointed us this thing would come out of nowhere and bring joy to our hearts
    Dad kept trying to convince us that the Derek Anderson was just as good as the Matty lienart we had our heart set on and I am pretty sure when i peaked in the closet before the holidays there was a matty doll in there but mom must have returned it.
    I got a little excited when we peeled back the wrapping on the Max hall but Dad said it just wasn’t working and kept bringing the Derek back out. then when he finally put it in the damn thing got broken after 3 plays.

i know i shouldnt get so excited with just one present left, but even though the package looks like it might just be a pair of socks, i am really really hoping for something fun, i guess we wont know for sure until we get the wrapping off this weekend.

18. By cardsalltheway on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

“I have zero idea why you are a fan.”
    I find trying to gauge one fan’s level of love for the Cards laughable and/or immature. It’s frequently done on this and other message boards and liken it to one child cutting down another to build him/herself up. If that’s what you like/need to do then so be it.

19. By Stuck In Texas on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

WOW…

Poor John,I wish Coach had as much confedence in him as he does DA.
    W.T.H. Is going on?I have never seen Whiz so negitive.
    GO CARDINALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. By TucsonTim on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Let’s all come out and support Skelton. Let’s look at this game as the first for the new Cards, win or lose let’s give the kid all the support we can.

FYI – the Tucson Chargers won third place at the AYF national championships in Orlando Florida today. A fine run for the Tucson team that went undefeated in Tucson and Phoenix allowing only 3 score all season.

21. By georgiebird on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

One of the many things that disappointed me this year was the fall from grace of Gabe Watson. He seems to be the type of emotional player the Cardinals need.
    There was a play late in the 3rd qtr of the SF game when Gabe made a surge and sent the OL back five feet. While one play doesn’t make a season, I think he may still have a good year or two left in him even if it might be somewhere else.

22. By TBru on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

“His arm strength is impressive. And I do like his mental makeup, at least from what I can see. As I have mentioned before, he tends to be even-keeled”

Wait, isn’t that what people said about DA?

23. By Ken Cadena on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Darren I think we are at the point that the Cards and coach have one more year to regain respect back. The fans are very critical of the turnaround and very disrepectful of oranizations thought process and high expectations comming into the season. for those people who think Skelton will just walk in and be a savior of the miserable season, are very wrong. He is not a #1 pick. He is not a Sam Bradford of any stretch of the imagination. He is a 3rd string filler. The best we can do is get rid of the Kurt Warner mindset and glory days, and get back to basics of just run the ball and run the ball, and run the ball until we bloody the defence up. we do not have a 10 yard threat anymore even with Fitz and Breasten. Santa,s list for next season
    1. OC
    2. DC
    3. Quarteback
    4. Genral Manager
    5. Whiz quit trying to please the Media and fans and bidwells and run the damm ball you idiot.
    I believe whiz is going to lose his job because he does not have the motivational character it takes to make a team win even with out the key position talent.
    Advice for Whiz stand up and grow some balls and tell the media that we are going to run the ball down the other tms throat every game so let them come. Bill Cowher would never look so timid even at the finest hour of defeat.

24. By Brandon LA on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Skelton should be fun to watch. He throws fast and confident. Just saw that sports science clip online too…. impressive. I hope he gets into a nice groove.

Vs the rams both drives he had were penalty plagued. I assume some of those false starts could have been cadence issues or something.

Other than a win, I really wanna see that next return touchdown. Doesn’t matter how, although a fumble recovery would be a nice game boost for the D….

Breaston! Wanna see him in Cardinal Red for years to come. Make it happen. Please and thank you….

25. By joe again on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Everybody’s ragging on the coach, the defense, the O line — but I think things are getting blown way out of proportion. Even with this string of losses — the Cards are not that bad of a team. We’re just one player away from being a good team again. We need a QB.

A couple games ago, our defense played 40 minutes, twice as long as the other teams D. Over the course of a season, that takes its toll. And on offense, with no threat of pass, other teams can play up and stack against our O line, so they look worse than they really are, too.

I still trust the Whiz. When Kurt surprised everybody and left the last year of his contract laying on the table, everything fell apart. All our weaknesses became magnified. Its such a fine line in the NFL between winning and losing. In many ways, this year has been the perfect storm.

Now enter John Skelton. Maybe the bone man can break this damn curse.

26. By CJ on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

I just have to say that you are incredible for putting up with some of the negativity in these comments sometimes. Thanks for your hard work.

As far as the Cards go this week, I hope Skelton does well. Unfortunately if the Broncos follow the path of any of the other teams with coaching changes, it doesn’t look good for us. Skelton seemed calm and comfortable last week for the few plays he was in but he is still a rookie. I hope the fans don’t go too crazy if he does lose.

I still really hope he gets to play the rest of the season. Derek Anderson definitely is not a long-term QB and, while Hall is my favorite to watch, I just don’t think he can cut it. I really hope Whiz lets Skelton get some good playtime even when DA heals up.

27. By Haggis Bob on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

Eff the naysayers, I appreciate the guys and the hard work they put in. Sure it’s not the ideal season but this stuff ebbs and flows. You build character and teams in these hard times. You learn who your brother is, at your side digging it out when it means nothing. That’s pride in your work. The youngers still slacking but will get inline. I am proud to be a fan.

28. By Mailand on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

I don´t get it? Why do people keep blaming coach? Do they forget the past 3 years? All teams have ups and downs, and that is the beauty with NFL.
    Perhaps I could agree with Brian on the salery cap. This is not the time to be cheap. Coach and Warner (amongst others) have build this team to be where they are, or at least used to be, so if the Bidwills will keep the franchise where it is, somebody have to tell them that investing in the future is not where they want to save. (They proberbly allready know it:)

29. By brandon on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

Dear Darren will Larry Fitzgerald
    stay with the cardinals for the whole time he plays because i think he is one of the players that makes the team

30. By Utah Card on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

Hey cardsallthway:

Drew Brees is an inch shorter than Hall.
    Doug Flutie was three inches shorter.

STFU.

31. By cardsalltheway on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

I’m thinking the Cards will win this week and now I learn/watched the J. Skelton Spanish speaking video. We have a QB that can speak two languages, now I know we’ll win. How could Ken W. have ignored Skelton’s right brain this whole time? What about you Darren, have you ever mentioned it?

32. By Redbirdsnest on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

Hi Darren, I think what really happened in the end is that the Cardinals organization expected Kurt Warner to play one more season. They signed him to a two year, big money contract. He caught everyone by surprise, turned down millions of dollars and retired just like that. I think the cardinals were not prepared to replace Warner till after this season and its just tanked from there. The people that I attend the home games with feel the same way. What is your opinion on that Darren? Do you think that is maybe a possibility for why the Cardinals have gone from being a division winner to being dead last? Thanks for your input, keep up the good work!

33. By Rich on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

I agree with “cardsalltheway”. Why say “Uh Oh”. The fact is that the whole Max Hall saga was hyped by you media guys! You took a few comments by a few uninformed fans and blew it up as if there were a Max Hall frenzy of sorts. 99.9% of fans knew the kid had nothing. Now that Skelton is getting his chance, you media guys are all “ho hum”. As for me, I’m not worried about Skelton’s qb rating or wins or any of that. I just wanna see the kid move, throw, check off, make decisions, learn the system, stay poised, feel the pocket, etc. if he looks like he’s the real deal then we don’t need to use the 1st pick on a qb. If he appears to be serviceable but not “the answer” then maybe he’s a backup and we use the 1st pick for a qb. Makes sense to approach it like that.

34. By Rich on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

“cardsalltheway” IS a real fan. he feels for the team. he can criticize them but wouln’t let a fan of another team criticize them. we spent hard earned recreational dollars on tickets for the Cards this year (in lieu of other leisure choices). they have failed to deliver a fair and entertaining product. And, they had the chance to do it but made terrible decisions. So the fans suffer. The fans who pay with their few discretionary dollars. And when we complain we are told we’re going to be censored…that we are not real fans. Gimme a break! I’ll be at the game supporting the team again tomorrow ! But the organization better shape up or people like me won’t be renewing season tix next year.

35. By Jeff Gollin on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

Darren – a couple of points to add to your comments about Skelton and about Wiz’s play-calling.

One of Skelton’s strength – especially relevent when you compare him to Hall – is that he’s 6-5 or 6-6 and 230+ pounds; which means (a) against a big pass rush, he won’t be “throwing out of a man-hole”, (b) blitzers are more likely to bounce off him and (c) he should have more open passing lanes to his receivers. (His challenge will be to overcome his major weakness – bewilderment when feeling the pressure).

When dialing up plays sometimes the tendency to buck the down & distance trend becomes “predictable” unto itself. Wiz sometimes does that and seems to fall within a predictable rhythm .

Even yours truly (who has no play calling or QBing experience) has been able to predict with 75 – 80% accuracy what what he’s gonna call Maybe it’s me, but my perception is that – especially on 3 & outs – he’ll seldom dial up 2 runs or 2 passes in a row (preferring to alternate run and pass plays).

And, for some reason this year, unlike many other creative NFL coaches (who – even on 3rd & 15 on his own 15 behind by a TD with less than 2:00 on the clock – aren’t afraid to cross everyone up with a draw play or at least a screen.

I’m not sayin’/I’m just sayin’ – but at the very least, I hope Wiz and his offensive coaches are “scouting their own playcalling.”

36. By Darren Urban on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

Rich –

RE: Cardsall

I never said he wasn’t a “real fan.” I said I don’t understand why he is a fan. If it makes you this miserable, what is the point?

37. By Darren Urban on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

Rich –

RE: Skelton/Hall

Yes, it’s all the media’s fault.

38. By Darren Urban on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

Redbirds –

RE: Warner retirement

I think it was a little more complicated than that, but generally, I think you make a fair point.

39. By Darren Urban on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

Brandon –

RE: Fitz

We will see. The Cards want to extend his contract. It’ll be up to him.

40. By Darren Urban on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

Cards –

RE: Fan “love”

I never was trying to gauge your “love.” But if something makes you this unhappy — and is, in the end, a “luxury” in life, in a manner of speaking — why would you continue to be involved in it?

41. By todd card junkie on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

yeaaaah get ‘em darren!

42. By Alex on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

Is it true Fitzgerald is looking for a trade? I’ve heard from several people who would follow football to their deaths, say that he is wanting a trade at the end of the season. If so, where would he go and who would we get in return?

43. By Nicholas Kaizen(nkaizen@yahoo.com) on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Sorry i’m not buying in this crap that about Skelton! “Coach Whiz is basically being pushed into this situation”, that’s garbage!! Skelton is better than DA & if Whiz was smart he would have turned to this guy after max hall’s horrible show!!! DA has been garbage all season & hasn’t provided a passer rating higher than like 60, which i believe is higher than his best game this year, go ahead and correct me if i’m wrong! You guys call DA & MH ready, but skelton isn’t? And coach Whiz saying he was pushed into this situation sounds like he has no faith in Skelton, kinda like Coach whiz has no faith in the Cards!! It’s like when it was 4th & a football & Coach whiz punts the ball!! Come on that’s just like a kick in the nut’s to these players to do that!! it’s a slap in the face!! Am i the only one who see’s this???
    Skelton will do better this weekend than DA or MH did all season & then the question will be why Coach whiz waited so long to put this guy in!! And i’m sure coach will try to come up with something clever to say like “we were just making sure he was ready when we put him in” or “we were developing him to do a great job when it was his turn”.. I think he’ll win this game with ease & make it look simple! You may say that’s a bold statement, but it’s what’s gonna happen!!!

44. By Peter in Canada on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

Joe again and Haggis Bob – Good posts. It’s refreshing to read calm balanced thoughts instead of all the Whiz and DA bashing. Whiz thought he could make DA into a better QB by fixing some technical problems. Maybe Miller influenced him. So it didn’t work and now because they made a mistake some people want their heads because they think Leinart would have been a real difference maker or the future should have been mortgaged for McNabb. The term “fan” is an abbreviation for “fanatic”. Relax, people because win or lose on Sunday the sun will rise on Monday. To paraphrase “The Cards will rally behind John Skelton and play good football”.

45. By TARL SAMPSON on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

AWESOME!!!! I am so happy with they way it turned out. I actually thought today was Sunday for some reason and was flicking on the tv to watch NFL football, sooo lame!!!! One more day!! Thanks for all the Updates Darren, appreciate the hardwork.n GOOO CARDS!!! hope the offense turns up the heat, and makes it a fun game to watch.

46. By Chris B on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I vote for blocking Cardsall. Because he can play Madden (kudos Czar) he thinks he can run the team.
    I’ve been to home games. The last one, (MNF) there was a 10 fan brawl that broke out below us. It wouldn’t surprise me if Cardsall was a part of that drunken stupidity.
    People become “coach-coaches” too much.
    DA is bad. No argument there. Max Hall is not good, but we haven’t seen enough to really evaluate. Skelton, we’ll see this Sunday. Is he a “savior”? Not likely, but you never can tell.
    Should we run the ball? Absolutely. Does running the ball work if you can’t convert 3rd downs? Nope. There’s more to consider than “Whis is being a moron” by not running the ball. When you only have 3 plays in a series and it’s almost always 3rd and 6+ yards, running isn’t always an option. Until we have competent play from a QB, we (anyone) won’t be happy with what the coach is doing. A new OC won’t save anyone. Nor will a new DC. If the QB can’t make the throws need to at least “manage” a game, we won’t see offensive production at all. And no one expects any defense to hold up when they play 45 minutes every game.

47. By TARL SAMPSON on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

I dont know if I can post this link or not, but here is a link to some cool videos of our boy Skelton for all you card Junkies like me

48. By The Voice of Negativity on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

Yea, I am the Voice of Negativity, come join me.

I dont know anytning, but if I say it louder, that will make it right.

I think all the coaches should be fired, all the players replaced, and Graves and Bidwill lynched.

I like to stand close to the tree so I can’t see the forest.

I like to pollute Darren’s blog by being strident and shrill.

I parse every word of Coach Whiz to portray him as an idiot egomaniac.

I twist every utterance of Darren’s to prove that he’s a suck-up lacky.

If my team loses, its doom and gloom over the entire world.

Tiny drops of arsenic can poison a cool glass of water.

Only thirsty people think the glass is half full.

Paint it black! Paint it all black!

I ask what is the sound of one hand clapping, but I know that if I yell “boooo” loud enough, then I can drownd out the sound of any clapping.

49. By Brandon LA on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

Redbirds-

Not only Warner, but Q, and Karlos. While attending the San Diego game earlier this year ( ouch long drive back to LA ) every charger fan was quick to point out all the losses in the off-season.

Before this season, in the early stages of training camp, I was talking with a guy from Cleveland about the Cards. He was convinced that “with that offense… It’s just plug and play… forget Warner”. Then I mentioned our acquisition of DA and an annoying grin crept across his face. “yeah” he said, “good luck with that”.

The offensive identity is flipped. To what? Don’t know. I can’t tell with 2 min or so to go, inside your territory, with a chance to tie or win (Tampa game), it looked like whiz was still calling the old offense. IF Warner was in there, nobody, including whiz, would have criticized a pass play in that position.

50. By fightingbird on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

Its funny when the cards were winning and went to the super bowl all was wonderful but have one bad season and wham I hate everybody.Darren I dont want to mention no names but who does that sound like?.”cardsalltheway”maybe. Im an old cards fan from way back and im going to stand by my team. thanks.

51. By TBru on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

Skelton is the starter, cool
    Has DA been cleared to play? Not that I want him out there.

If not has an emergency QB been named?

52. By Scott H on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

Hey, what happeneds to Breaston’s fro??? That was a good look for him!

It’s a shame that Fitz is on the verge of such a milestone during such a lousy season. Derek Anderson may be an awful QB, but he’s a heck of a magician – I didn’t think ANYONE could make Larry Fitzgerald disappear but Anderson sure did. OK , enough with that. But when I look this season at this point, that’s what I see as a major theme – guys who just seemed to disappear. Coming into this season, there were so many young guys who looked on the verge of a breakout – Campbell, Cromartie, Wells – and they all regressed badly. Yeah, there were some injuries but nothing that kept guys out foir the season. Breaston disappeared right along with Fitzgerald when it looked like he was on the verge of something big. Doucet, too, but to a lesser extent. But even veteran stalwarts like Wilson and Dockett have been oddly in-effective this year despite being mostly healthy. Can anyone name a single player who took significant strides forward this year? Can anyone name a single player who should even be considered for the Pro Bowl??? As I’ve said in so many posts recently, this falls on the coaches. This staff gets a solid “F” for this eason as far as I’m concerned.

53. By Scott H on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

Another “theme” to this season has been struggling teams who seemed to have no or very little trouble getting over their struggles – even if only for a week – against the Cardinals. The Seahawks, Vikings, 49ers…they all played their best game(s) against the Cardinals despite how poorly they were playing against everyone else. And now here come the struggling 3-9 Broncos who just fired their coach…hate to say it, but this looks like another opportunity for another team to “get it right” against the Cardinals. The fact that a 3-9 team is favored to come into our house and win the game says I’m not the only one who ses it that way.

54. By Utah Card on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

“Even with this string of losses — the Cards are not that bad of a team. We’re just one player away from being a good team again. We need a QB.”
    –joe again

Much of the fans’ frustration this season is precisely because the Cards, talent wise, are not just “not that bad of a team”, but because they are a very, VERY good team. In fact, I think this year’s defense has the best collection of talent since the Cards arrived in AZ. Even with losing Q, they still probably have the best receiving corp in the league, to and including Komar. They have two extremely capable running backs (neither of whom get enough carries because of the idiotic play calling), Rhodes is a VAST upgrade over Rolle, Dockett, DRC, and Wilson are all capable of dominating their areas of responsibility, and Campbell and Washington are going to end up being monsters.

However, all this talent is being wasted this year by bad decision making by the coaching staff, and it’s sickening to watch. DRC and Dockett have the types of personalities that have to be engaged to stay focused, and when it became obvious that King Whiz was hell-bent on playing DA, even though DA can’t consistently hit the side of a barn with the ball, both of them checked out on the season. Dockett’s recovered a little bit since then, but DRC’s whimsical nature probably won’t until he sees a commitment from the coaching staff to try to win. Wilson’s looked lost most of the season, IMO because he’s probably so pissed off about the nonsensical coaching decisions that he’s beside himself. While I haven’t heard Fitzgerald say one critical thing about anybody else in the organization, his forcibly-blank facial expressions during games, and his careful tact during interviews, are themselves a wealth of information. I feel awful for the players, because this team could be soooooooo good, and instead the coaching staff is making them look inept.

And brandon, for as much of a hot-headed bigmouth as Q is, he is the type of player that good football teams build a winning program around. To their credit, the Cards did build around him for a period of time. But then their stupidity and arrogance reared it’s ugly, ugly head, and they unceremoniously dumped him. So don’t be surprised if they also dump an all-world player like Fitzgerald.

55. By Trips Right on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

We will see what Coach Whisenhunt’s play calling is made of this week with a rookie at the helm with a total 3-4 days practice time, one of which minus Larry.

I will still cheer for my guys, have been since 1995 getting sunburned in Tempe.

Whiz just needs to pull back the curtain and realize a spade is a spade.

56. By GSvendson on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

I just want to say I appreciate what you do. Its got to be hard hearing people whine at you all day long about things you have no control over. Not everyone is like these guys.

57. By Chris B on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

*couch coaches

58. By SteveDCO on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

Darren – I got on you earlier in the season for showing disdain for the fans. I sincerly apologize. The level of debate on here is moronic.

I wonder how many of these people have watched the Cards more than the last 3 years or even all the games this year.

Coach Whiz has made this a real franchise where people can expect to win. This is the team that brought in E. Smith because it would sell more tickets, not to help the team win.

Whiz along with Graves have brought in high quality players and produced some great years. Anyone who blames Whiz, show me one team that is winning with a bad QB, maybe Oakland. Show me more than 3 teams that are loosing with a good QB Denver, Indy and Cin and all three have good reasons why they are loosing.

We lost Warner a year before we thought. Who was out there that looked better than DA in the off season?

This isn’t fantasy football where you can just drop a player and add someone else.

This isn’t the league where every backup is a ProBowler in waiting and every coach on a bad team is a waste.

59. By Darren Urban on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

Alex –

RE: Fitz/trade

Fitz has not said any such thing, nor has anyone close to him said that. Anything like that would be speculation at best. Besides, he has a no-trade clause.

60. By Darren Urban on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

Scott H –

RE: Breaston haircut

He shaved it to the no-work look. I tried to get him to let us video it for azcardinals.com. He politely declined.

61. By Trips Right on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

SteveDCO –

C’MON man… Whiz didn’t think Matty had it and panicked for another plan. He felt DA had something after he nearly beat us in 2007.

If you are gonna give credit for him turning the franchise around, then you have to criticize him for our QB situation. Those were his choices, not anyone else’s.

Whiz is right that he couldn’t predict the season would be like this in the pre-season, but if you ask me Leinart was less of a gamble then DA and he knew the offense inside and out. I’m not a Leinart fan, but when that move was made, I knew we were doomed. Nothing against DA, but that’s too much to put on him especially with his track record.

Then once the decision was made, the play calling has been suspect at best with most plays being called/designed as if Kurt is still the guy. Whatever happened to designing your scheme to fit your personnel rather than forcing your guys into your scheme???

With that said, Go Cards!! Hope you pan out Skelton!

62. By brad oneill on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

the biggest problem with converting on third down is we have thrown on a whole lot of 3rd and shorts. that is on the Whiz.

I still am a fan of Whiz and will continue to support him but I have been calling for an oc since i found out he decided to call plays himself.

the most exciting thing about that skelton tape is the accuracy under pressure. obviously dodging 165 pound college kids is a little easier than avoiding anything you will face in the nfl but the passes looked very sharp.

63. By AndyStandsUp on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

You’ve got to give it up to some of the naysayers on this blog(Casey, Cardsall,VoiceofReason,etc..) for their intestinal fortitude for challenging the Cards front office and common sense.
    Really though, dissension makes healthy discussion. Thank you for moderating both.

64. By AzCardsFan911 on Dec 12, 2010 | Reply

Darren would say “uh oh” if Skelton was starting in December because that would mean we, obviously, were having either an injury riddled season/ or have no chance at the playoffs.

I’m so glad Skelton is getting the start! We need a win so bad and I think he gives us the best chance to win…plus I have been hoping he would get at shot after last weeks injuries. All I want for Christmas is a few more wins…starting tomorrow!

WE DO THIS TOGETHER!

65. By AzCardsFan911 on Dec 12, 2010 | Reply

WE DO THIS TOGETHER! LETS GO CARDS!

66. By AusCardsFan on Dec 12, 2010 | Reply

Can’t wait for Skelton to play! Even if he throws 4 pics and no tds i still want to see him every week for the rest of this season, at least he’s young and can develop, i don’t see the logic in trying to teach DA, if he was teachable then he would already be great by now. I think when Whiz allowed Leinart to go (as I understand it was a mutual decision is that right Darren?), he put all the Cards (incl the fans) hopes and dreams in one basket, DA. Unfortunately DA proved to be a waste of a season. Sucks for fans, but i’m sure Whiz has learnt a hard lesson and won’t put us in this situation again. Coach Whiz i believe can take the Cards to the top again, although my only fear with him is that he has a misconception that he is good at calling plays, so cute, but please would somebody in the organisation just give Whiz a nudge and suggest to hire a proper playcaller for next season. Thanks

67. By Havasu Tom on Dec 12, 2010 | Reply

Good Morning Darren,
    What a season. Feels like old times.
    I think back of all the positive things that have happened for the Birds since the new stadium was built. I believe the Cardinals desire to win and with the revenue to support that, this is just one of those years.
    I know coach wanted to give Skelton more time to learn, it does keep the season interesting.
    Has D.A. past his testing yet?

68. By shannonrobinson on Dec 12, 2010 | Reply

The spirit required for the Cards to play this game may get a lift today when Skelton starts. The task at hand for the defense is more achievable when the QB can make third down completions. The running game gets a chance to show us Beanie Ball for real. With all that in play even being a fan gets easier. Run Beanie run! Give Skelton the time – Que Viva! Maybe Darren won’t have to be a mortician anymore, burying these e-mails!

69. By cardscat4L on Dec 12, 2010 | Reply

Let the Skelton project begin…!

70. By cardsalltheway on Dec 12, 2010 | Reply

Thank you to those who somewhat agree with me.
    Utah Card,
    Drew Brees and Flutie didn’t have pencil necks AND finished games. Also, I don’t recall them hating an entire group of people/fans b/c a few poured beer on one of their family members. Why did the Cards even pick up a known hater? Max Hall’s youtube confession is worse than anything Randy Moss has said.
    I see why the media hyped up Max Hall(local boy) but don’t agree. However, I wonder where the media has been now that John Skelton is starting. Where is the love for Skelton, why don’t we hear about how he is a very smart person who uses the right side of his brain/speaks two languages? If being two years older, sits by the right people in the cafe, and being an Eagle Scout like Ken W. counts for something then why doesn’t speaking two languages? Oh yeah, it’s b/c “John Skelton isn’t ready yet.”

71. By cardsalltheway on Dec 12, 2010 | Reply

“…And exactly which person is “cutting down another” to “build him/herself up”? Isn’t that kind of what you are doing, over and over and over? Especially on the Hall subject?”
    First of all, just b/c you say I’m “miserable” doesn’t make it so. When I discuss M. Hall I’m simply talking football and/or the terrible decisions that have been made. I’m not cutting you down. Yes, I let it be known I don’t agree with Ken W. or you when you support almost every move he makes. How is that cutting someone down? Yes, I’ve said Ken W. ought to be fired and some of his statements are ridiculous etc…
    What I’ve said isn’t any different than most fans when they disagree. You or anyone else can disagree with me, but when you or anyone else suggests I ought not be a fan b/c I’m “miserable” or that you or anyone else is more of a fan than me, then that sounds childish kind of like a kid on a school playground.
    Why don’t you question every fan who says they “suffer” during games since suffering is “miserable?” I think you even said as much after watching one game, so why are you a fan?

72. By john on Dec 12, 2010 | Reply

Getting ready to head to the game.

Tell me this Darren , if you know;
    Is there an issue Coach Whiz has with Skelton? With such poor output from Anderson, Whiz went to Max Hall (who, imo, shouldn’t be on an NFL team.) I just cant see his talent. Finally,, with players hurt, he’s forced to play Skelton. But even then, he brought Bartell in to compete.(I know we needed a back-up, but I heard there was a chance Bartell could have started) So whats up? Inexperience seems like a copout. Lord knows, Hall had no clue out there.

No secret I am huge fans of Andrew Luck and Ryan Mallet. I believe this is the direction the cards should go, but I’d love to see Skelton prove me wrong.

73. By john on Dec 12, 2010 | Reply

I just want to ad one more thing. Ive had season tickets since 1992. I sat in the hot Devil stadium (good name cuz many years felt like hell). I watched Plummer hit Sanders on a slant to put us in FG range to go to our first playoff, but most years have been bad football.
    The Coach Whiz gives us a legit coach. He brings us to the Superbowl and people want to turn on him. This is a solid coach who knows what he is doing. He holds things close to the vest and doesn’t always share with the fan what the problems are, just like all good coaches.
    So, stop calling for his job. You wont get a better coach in here.

74. By Darren Urban on Dec 12, 2010 | Reply

cardsall –

RE: Various questions

1) Don’t know if I would call myself a fan. This is my job. It obviously benefits me if the team wins.

2) I never said you were cutting me down with the Hall stuff. You’re cutting Hall down. And you don’t keep it just to football. You keep making comments about his family/local product/etc. which takes it beyond football. If all you were doing was complaining he was undersized/ineffective, things like that, I wouldn’t have said anything.

3) Maybe I am off-base in thinking your “misery” is worse than other fans, at least the ones commenting. So you may be right. But the way you portray yourself and your feelings makes you sound much worse than most. JMO.

75. By Darren Urban on Dec 12, 2010 | Reply

John –

RE: Skelton v Hall

This story explains their thought process between the two, prior to the last week or so: http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Grooming-A-Quarterback/c55ae991-9a06-4781-915c-10b0dca19c64

76. By Darren Urban on Dec 12, 2010 | Reply

Havasu –

RE: Anderson

Don’t know that on his testing here at 10:53 a.m.

77. By Don on Dec 12, 2010 | Reply

Any news if the roof is gonna be open today?

Thanks

78. By CZarr on Dec 12, 2010 | Reply

I el oh eld at voice of negativitity’s post.

79. By Darren Urban on Dec 12, 2010 | Reply

Don –

RE: Roof

No official word at 12:05. I would guess, since we have not heard anything, that it will be closed.

80. By SeeingRed on Dec 12, 2010 | Reply

Saying this before the game, before we see how JS does (hopefully well!)..I think the Cards should really look at going after Carson Palmer if he becomes available. Would give us a very good QB and would allow Skelton to learn behind a smart QB. However, if JS is all that today then that would change things maybe..just would be better to have a proven starter than to take a chance on another rookie QB in the draft. Oh, and Whiz would be very familiar with Carson from his days in Pitt

81. By cardsalltheway on Dec 12, 2010 | Reply

I don’t mean to cut Hall down, I just call it the way I see it. Had he performed or proven some fans wrong/Ken W. right when he got his chance then that would’ve been fine. Or, if M. Hall(undrafted) was given a chance only after John Skelton(5th Round draft pick) had Skelton not panned out then I would’ve understood. I don’t think I’m off base mentioning what M. Hall mentioned publicly/via youtube nor is it off base suggesting a person plays simply b/c he’s from AZ especially considering the draft/non-draft — Local folks sell tickets/merchandise and it seems the Bidwells are more into making $$$ vs spending much on players.

82. By Scott H on Dec 12, 2010 | Reply

SteveDCO-

Back off, pal. I’ve been a fan for more than 35 years, I’ve earned the right to be frustrated and to criticize the coach when it is waranted, and right now? It’s warranted. Don’t get me wrong – for all of my whinig and complaining this eason, I really do like coach Whiz and I am grateful for the role that he has played in the success the team has had over the past few seasons. But let’s be real about a few things. First and foremost, THE guy who gets the most credit for the past few seasons is Kurt Warner. Period. Absolute fact. Not up for discussion or debate. And Kurt was already here when Whiz came on board. Which brings me to my second point – and I’m certainly not the only person to make this observation – that most of the players who played the biggest roles during the past few seasons were also already here before Whiz. So…where are all of these “high quality players” that Whiz has brought in??? I’m not trying to be ignorant here, I know that SOME high quality players have been drafted during the Whiz regime. But you make it sound like there a bunch of these guys….and, really, there aren’t. There was a LOT of talent on this roater when Whiz got here. And now that there has been a siginificant exodus of those players during the past off-season, we’re right back to a losing season. Again, back off.

Whiz has also made some real questionable decisions in regard to the coordinators that have contributed greatly to the lousy season that we are currently enjoying. Bill Davis? Please. And Whiz as offensive coordinator? Also not working out very well. Sorry, but Whiz has earned the criticism he is getting this season. Don’t criticize me or the other die-hard fans who do not and will not blindly fall in with the “In Whiz We Trust” mantra.

2. Dec 12, 2010: Word From the Birds Blog