Skelton to start at QB Sunday

Posted by Darren Urban on December 10, 2010 – 12:27 pm

With Derek Anderson still not cleared to practice with his concussion and Richard Bartel here just since Tuesday, coach Ken Whisenhunt named rookie John Skelton as the starting quarterback for Sunday’s game. Whisenhunt hopes Anderson can be cleared to be the third quarterback, but Bartel will be the backup. “Both of them had a good week of practice and we’ll see how it goes in the game,” Whisenhunt said, admitting that in choosing Skelton, the Cards “didn’t really have a choice.”

I will have a full story up ASAP. (And here it is).

Tags: , , ,

65 Responses to “Skelton to start at QB Sunday”

1. By kauaicardsfan on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Cool !
    Mahalo for the uipdates!!!

2. By matt on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

3. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Derren, so whats the Cardinals plans at QB this offseason? Are they really going to look and find us a big time free agent? or our we going to draft somebody at
    no.1? I just really dont wanna have to end up with the same Derek Anderson type BS were they go and grab some scrub and throw him in there, the Bidwills gotta spend money to make money so lets maei it happen!

4. By Todd on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Is it just me or does Coach Whisenhunt seem to be apologizing for starting Skelton? Why Coach? Really, why? CMON MAN!!

Your 3-9 team is going nowhere. Anderson has the worst stats in the NFL for a starting QB. At this point, you would be better off holding tryouts of NFL vet QB’s than starting DA again. DA seems like a nice kid but you can see what happens to a nice kid after constant booing by his fans and no success as demonstrated in DA’s Dennis Green impression after the Monday Night Football debacle.

At worst, we find out if there is a glimmer of hope from Skelton in live NFL action. I like what I saw from him in pre season and in his short stint the last game. For goah sakes, you drafted him because he has Godlike QB qualities (cannon arm, 6′-5″ 245 lbs, runs the 40 in 4.8 which is faster than AW by the way and scored near perfect on ESPN’s computer read react test they set Skelton up on draft day. We already know that as smart as Max Hall is and as much grit as he has, that he has the body of a CPA and not an NFL QB and every play out there could be life threatening for him. I think an assistant coach job at BYU is a better place for Hall, than constantly on the trainers table or in the emergency room.

What is the definition of insanity again? “Doing the same thing over and over and over again and expecting different results”? That is what you have been doing starting Anderson week after week and saying “we just need to work harder with what we have and find a way to win”………CMON MAN!!!

I love ya coach for getting my longtime hapless Cardinals to our first Superbowl but would ya please start coaching like Bill Parcells or even Bill Cowher for that matter and not Barney Fife. CMON MAN!!!

5. By David C. on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Why hasn’t Whisenhunt conceded that this year is done? It seems so ridiculous to me that he spent all week splitting reps between Bartel, a free agent off the streets, and Skelton, a fifth round draft pick who has spent the season in his system. Just another example of mismanagement and head scratching moves that are beginning to define Coach Whiz.

6. By walt on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Best news all year !!!! show us what you’ve got!

7. By Cardsfan on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

YESSSSSS! Now on a normal note probily shouldnt expect anything spectacular from Skelton, but I wish him well and hopefully he can get into some sort of rythm. Go Cards!

8. By dvera on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

This is the best news I’ve heard all year!

9. By Gary J on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Wow, what a vote of confidence by Whiz “didn’t really have a choice”. I have been wanting Skelton to be the starter ever since Whiz released Leinart. I hope Skelton has a great game and throws for thee TD’s. One thing I am seeing is Whiz is not much of a people person. Skelton should be the starter for the rest of the year if for no other reason to give him some experience to be our backup next year. Now if Whiz would just start Beanie Wells and Daryl Washington we might be able to get this team ready for next year and maybe even pull out a win or two this year.

10. By Scott on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

I wish Anderson good health, but can we make sure he isn’t cleared to play for the rest of the season?

11. By Nathan on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the quick update. I admit I’m excited to see what Skelton can do. Hopefully everyone cheers loud for him on Sunday. I expect him to make a few mistakes, but I did like what I saw last week.

Do you think he’ll get pulled if he throws a few INTs, or will Whiz give him the entire game?

12. By TUCCARDS00 on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Grimm might be a hall of fame player, but damn….how about coaching an offensive line that can actually run BLOCK and pass BLOCK before yet another quarter- back is injured before seasons end. PROTECT Skelton.

13. By sean p on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Holy smackeral, i was wrong, way to go coach :D prove a doubting fan wrong, yay!

14. By Mango on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Hey! How about we bring back JAKE THE SNAKE???!!!

15. By Darren Urban on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Nathan –

RE: Skelton PT

I’d expect him to stay in the game, unless it got really ugly.

16. By Jesse Robles on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Why would you say, “we really didn’t have a choice?” If it was DA or Hall he would still be complimenting them with his crap he tries feeding us for his horrible decisions. He is so positive with everything else but Skelton, Prove this Jerk wrong Skelton. At least we drafted you, Just be a Head Coach, You Suck at Offensive Coordinator, so lets get someone in there who knows how to call plays. “WE REALLY HAVE NO CHOICE” at Offensive Coordinator too, but you don’t say that about yourself and how horrible you are at it. Guys only 22, and Ken has no FACTS to back up his thoughts. “We Really have no Choice” because Ken is an idiot, and put us here. “We have no choice,” because our organization goes after Charlie Whitehurst and Derrick Anderson as starting QB’s. Skelton didn’t even have to start a game to get his “Self Esteem” stomped on, it started with his head coach. Get over yourself Whiz, you are no Bill Belicheck, Bill Cowher, or Jimmy Johnson and never will be, stop talking down on your players you do not like, somehow nothing but good things come out of his mouth about DA and Hall which still leave me dumb founded…

17. By Dick in SoCal on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

“Skelton is the starting quarterback for Sunday’s game…Whisenhunt said, admitting that in choosing Skelton, the Cards “didn’t really have a choice.””

I wonder how that makes Skelton feel? Something like Dick Vermeil’s “We’ll rally around Kurt Warner and we’ll play good football” might have been better.

18. By georgiebird on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Whiz should leave town. His ungracious naming of Skelton is beyond belief. He is holding on to DA like there was still a chance to save DA’s dismal season.
    It’s over Whiz- the season & DA. You’re experiment with DA was a dismal failure. So let’s move on.
    In addition, you’re not doing Skelton any favors starting him against Denver since the Broncos are a good AFC team with the added spark of a new coach. You should have started Skelton last week against the lousy Rams’ defense- and gave the kid a better chance to succeed.

19. By bob on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

skelton is the man hes gona light it up he had one of the strongest arms in the nfl

20. By Val on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Darren: What is the deal with coach doubting Skelton so much? “We really didn’t have a choice”? Is that really going to help Skelton’s confidence going out on the field? Or is the coach doing some sort of reverse psychology where he is kind of challenging Skelton, sort of a “prove me wrong” attitude?

21. By Darren Urban on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Georgie –

RE: Broncos/Rams

I’m trying to figure out the logic in saying the 3-9 Broncos are “good” and the Rams’ defense, part of a 6-6 team, is “lousy.”

22. By george on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

ok greattttttttttttttttttttttttttttt an cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! go john s. ive been telling you guys all along to put him in hes gona go down as better then big ben we will win out the rest of the games an i hope it will be enough for us to get into the play offs

23. By chris freeman on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

It was no surprise. Early look to see how much of the system he grasps.

Wonder if the Tackles will play well for him. Got i hope, wouldnt it sux if skelton got knocked out the game too because of a miss block.

doesn anyone have a clue how many missed blocks Arizona ois Avg a game?

that should be tallied, and where the misques are coming from. Im tired of hearing Arizona offensive line is horrible. there are good points on the line.. just not in the Tackle position.

24. By D.Burban on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

It was nice to see Whis finally admit (Arizona Republic) to what everyone else has been saying for the last 5 weeks. Now if he can just hire a top OC and DC he will get everyone’s support back. If he still doesn’t get that he is going to continue his downward spiral in the opinion polls.

25. By WNYCARD FAN on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

About time. Now, everyone get ready for some so-so performance (hopefully not worse than that) from him. He is a rookie and he’s never played before. He does look good, so I am hopeful he’ll do pretty good. But even the pundits at ESPN say, hes got a lot of potential, but he is going to make some mistakes. So lets get ready for that and not kill him over it.
    Whiz’s statement isn’t leader like for sure, I hope to Skelton’s face he is pumping him up and giving him the true stuff. Hate to see him fail because his coach says he will.
    That being said, have seen/heard more positive reactions on the blog this week than in the last several weeks, so lets translate to the game and even with a loss, be behind them. They are in a “next season” mode whether they want to admit it or not.

I’m hoping for a competitive game, even if its a loss

26. By Mikecolu on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

I hope he does well, it’s nice to see a kid from a small school get a chance to succeed. Btw having a strong arm doesn’t make you a good QB (Jamarcus Russel anyone?), but i think Skelton is a hungry, smart kid who has all the attributes to become a good player.

27. By Jim in Missouri on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, any thoughts on the Dan Bickley piece in the Republic today, about how the front office is more to blame for the QB mess and Whisenhunt’s hands were tied when he wanted to bring in Marc Bulger?

I don’t think Bulger was the answer, but if the personnel decisions are being driven more by money (especially coming off 2 playoff seasons and having the streak of sellouts), then it may be a sign that the “Same Old Cardinals” really are back …

28. By A-Train80 on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Bet the Cards wish they had Matt Leinart now with this QB carousel they’ve been through.

29. By BLOOD RED on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Nice call!Keep it simple and use the running game to back him up.I’m getting a Skelton jersey now.Thank you for making this decision!Let’s see a little about this young guns future.I think it will be bright.Now pressure will be off because we understand we have a rookie in there.So let’s relax and play some smashmouth football and let this kid show everybody we have a deep threat and he has a big arm.The first play should be a bomb to Breaston to keep defense honest.ROCK N ROLL REDBIRDS!!!!!P.S Thanks again for saving us fans from breaking our TV’s with watching a guy like DA.We don’t mind mistakes from a rookie near as much!!!

30. By Darren Urban on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Jim –

RE: Bulger

There was a lot of talk this offseason about Bulger. I don’t know how it broke down. I do remember at the time it didn’t make much sense to me to sign him when Leinart and Anderson were already here.

31. By ross on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Good luck John. No pressure.

32. By Kevin on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Georgiebird, some criticism of Whiz this year may be valid but you are making an idiot of yourself by saying it’s bad for Whiz to be starting Skelton for the first time vs. the Broncos as opposed to the Rams. It’s comments like that that make it obvious that you’re just a hater who’s going to pile on Whiz regardless of the decisions he makes. The Cardinals have allowed the most points in the league… the Broncos are right there with them though (5 fewer). More importantly, the Broncos’ rush defense is 2nd worst in the league next to Buffalo so there’s a good chance this can be a game where we can develop the running game and not have to pass so much. I think there’s a decent chance Skelton will look good in this particular game simply because we shouldn’t have to over-rely on him.

33. By neil on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

I’m getting tired of all the negativity ……as a 17 year cardinals fan you have to look at the glass half full. Yes we aren’t good this year. We can have Tom Brady this year in as qb and it wouldn’t matter. Our offensive line is non existing. It was better last year. With that said if there is football next year and skelton works out we can pick up an o line man. If skelton doesn’t work out we will be in great position to pick up a qb in the draft. And I kinda enjoy being in this position. I enjoy kicking people out of the playoffs when we don’t have a chance to make it. Again glass half full lol. Go cards!!!!!! A fan till I die!!!!!

34. By Kevin on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

As far as the comment re: not really having a choice to play Skelton, I don’t really see what all the fuss is about. If you’re worrying that this isn’t a rousing endorsement of Skelton and will affect his confidence… well, he was the third-string QB on a team with a QB problem. He probably SHOULDN’T be all that confident and he (and the team) should be realistic about expectations so that he doesn’t try too hard to be something he’s not. While I hope he turns out to be the second coming of Kurt Warner or Joe Montana, he’s not likely to be. And you can’t expect Whiz to say something like, “With John in there, I expect our offense will start moving the ball really well” as this would suggest he was making the wrong decision all season and you don’t want him putting too much pressure on Skelton to perform.

35. By Khardz on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

I read in the newspapaer that the front office wouldn’t let Whiz bring in Bulger after he was released… this is probably true because Whiz only chose DA out of desperation and uncertainty of Bulgers release, I feel really sorry for Whiz for being put into this hole.

36. By Gang6230 on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren how true is that story. That the front office would not allow coach Whis to bring in bulger now I personally don’t believe it was a money issue cuz they were paying Kurt 12 mill
    Could it had been an issue of timing ?

37. By georgiebird on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

To Kevin,
    I am not a Whiz hater but rather a Cardinal lover. What Whiz has done to this team has made me question his ability to be a be productive Head Coach in the post Warner Era.
    I can understand you and Darren questioning my comments on Denver vs the Rams- the Rams even beat Denver this year. Both teams have had big wins and terrible losses this year. It’s my opinion that without McDaniels dragging the team down, Denver has the better defense..
    The Cardinal offensive line cleaned up against the Rams last week to the tune of 6 yards a carry- if the Cardinals can get about 8 yards a carry against the lousy Broncos, you guys just might be right.

38. By TucsonTim on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

“a good week of practice”…how many times have we heard that this season.

39. By Cert 33 on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Marc Bulger never was a “money” QB and would be no better than Derek Anderson. Max Hall was too small to begin with, that’s why he went undrafted. Whisenhunt didn’t play that much of a role in our recent success, the good fortunes of 2008 and 2009 were due to Todd Haley and the great Kurt Warner (And a great trio of receivers!). The defense wasn’t on the field the entire game and played better than this year also. I really had to laugh also in a previous entry in which Jamarcus Russel was mentioned. I have watched Russell play many times and he is actually much worse than Anderson! The Raiders finally started winning after they cut him. He may be the worse QB I have ever seen start an NFL game and I have been a fan since 1967. I vote for Skelton to finish this season as starter. I think he will perform well with the appropriate game plan.

40. By #1cardsfan on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

CARDS ARE GOING TO WALK ALL OVER DENVER LARRY AND TIM WILL HAVE A BIG DAY DEFENSE WILL MAKE THE STOPS THEY NEED TO MAKE GO CARDS WE GOT THIS ONE IN THE BAG

41. By Darren Urban on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Gang6230 –

RE: Bulger

Like I said, I don’t know details. Again, at the time, I didn’t understand the need for Bulger (who was apparently unsure he wanted to keep playing football) when Leinart and Anderson were already here.

42. By Darren Urban on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Cert33 –

RE: Haley

Todd wasn’t with the team in 2009.

43. By SteveDCO on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

How does anyone know how Skelton was perform? Have they watched hours of game film from Fordham? Have they been at the practices (which are closed to the public?

No one has a clue how Skelton will perform. The best thing he has going for him is Parish Cox is in the Douglas County jail.

The back up QB is the most popular guy in the team. Why do you think people are asking for Manning to be benched.

Anyone who says Whiz had no part in the great years that AZ had, I would like to remind you of a few facts.

1. Haley called plays for one year only, 2008. Whiz called plays in 2007.

2. Warner was dropped by St. Louis and NY and was booed of the field in AZ and replaced by Matty L.

3. Whiz was part of some great Steelers teams. So if Haley is going to get the credit in AZ then Whiz deserves it in Pitt.

4. Haley is in a terrible AFC West and has a great GM at his side making KC an average team.

5. Whiz brought Haley here and part of a great leader is bring in great people to work around you.

Darren – Do the Cards still run lean on the number of coaches vs. the rest of the NFL?

44. By Money on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

I think DA might be taking a dive on the concussion tests to let Skelton start. I could not tell where his head was hit much at all (and I replay every play) that he even seemed to be shaken up. The tests are all memory type games, easy to fake. If he’s truly hurt, I hope he recovers quickly and completely but on the bench. I know he is very competitive or he wouldn’t have even lasted this long in the league, but he has to know he’s bad for the team now even if his coach publicly says otherwise. As for the less than adequate endorsement of Skelton’s start, I think Whiz is just trying to keep expectations low so that Skelton doesn’t start forcing passes if he has a string of mistakes. At this point, I’d start the game with the run formation-halfback tossback-fly route to Breaston play. What the hell, you’re at home anyway and you just tell him to throw it as far as he can. If it works you have the crowd back for the rest of the game for sure just because you had the balls to call it.

45. By AndyStandsUp on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Did Whiz seem as hesitant when announcing Max Hall would start in Seattle? I don’t remember feeling that vibe.
    Was Ken more confident in an undrafted QB over a 5th rounder the team moved up to pick and why?

46. By cardsalltheway on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Jim –
    RE: Bulger

That’s correct, nothing makes sense when Ken W. demotes QB’s after 12-15 plays in the preseason then cuts them before the season starts and after studying under another HOF QB for 2 years

47. By Darren Urban on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

SteveDCO –

RE: Coach #

To be honest, I’d have to look.

48. By Darren Urban on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: QB announcement

I am trying to remember but I would believe you are right it was different for Hall. All I can say is that he has consistently said he didn’t think Skelton would be ready this season and yet he virtually has to play him given injuries.

49. By Cert 33 on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Haley wasn’t with the team in 2009 but Warner knew the playbook and managed to squeeze one more year out of a great offense. Now Whiz is left with nothing and his play calling is horrible. The Chiefs are going to win the AFC west, a total “rise from the ashes” under Haley. When we absolutely shamed ourselves against a really, really bad 49′ers team at home on Monday night, Whisenhunt’s failure was complete. By the way, Kurt went to 3 Super Bowls, won 1 and lost 2 when his defense folded on the final drives. He will also be in the Hall of Fame and Haley will have the Chiefs in the Playoffs (looking very similar to the 2008 Cards).

50. By ziggy stardust on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

you,ve got to “love” the vote of confidence coach whiz gives to skeleton… you would think an nfl coach would build up their quarterback…. not tear him down.

51. By Cert 33 on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Whisenhunt in 2009 was very much like Bill Calahan in 2002 with the Raiders, he just let a great offense that he inherited run itself for another year under a great QB (Rich Gannon). Then, with Gruden and Gannon both gone, he was left exposed, lost big, couldn’t score any points, and was dismissed.

52. By jdcrow59 on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Even if “We have no choice” Is how you feel, and I’m sure it is. What a lousy thing to say to the press before the kid’s first start. This guy just contonues to amaze. Go have a game young man. I think the crowd will be cranked up for you win or lose.

53. By Scott H on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Now THIS makes me happy! But, honestly, I’m not sure if I’m happier that Skelton is finally playing or that Anderson finally is NOT. Either way, I’m glad. I have NO IDEA what could possibly justify the loyalty that Whiz has shown Anderson this season. NONE. But it’s been pissing me off for more than a month now. It kinda still does, actually…because I feel like the only reason Skelton is getting to play is because Anderson is hurt. It really should NOT have come to that. But…whatever. I don’t need to see Derek Anderson ever throw another pass in a Cardinals uniform, and I hope I never do. If he really wants to help the Cardinals, he can sign with one of the other teams in the NFC West. Seriously. THAT would help the Cardinals tremendously..

54. By Peter in Canada on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Darren- Despite Whiz saying Skelton is not ready to play, I think the injuries to Hall and Anderson while bad for them personally is a great opportunity for the Cards. You and I have agreed in past posts that the NFL has no way of grooming rookie QB’s since NFL Europe folded. So they drafted Skelton as a future project but had no way except watching film to groom him since the other QB’s got all the practice time. He would have withered on the vine probably been released maybe gone to Canada to play and if successful would have come back probably to some other team. Now he has a chance to practice and play for four weeks so the team will have an idea of whether he really fits into the team plans going forward.

Dick in So Cal- The Cards will rally around John Skelton and play good football

55. By QB HELP on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

finally got it after 9 losses total and 7 in a row……..AND wiz still has NO idea…..are you kidding?!?!? how can wiz say that about skelton, we reallly had no other choice….what a joke
    go get em skelton win this game and every other you play in

56. By TBru on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

“lets see if we can break the NFL record for the number of starting QB changes in a season.”

We have gone 3 before. I thought Tampa Bay might have went 4, but it looks like they topped out at 3 a couple times too. Don’t know if anyone more than 3 deep.

1991 Tom Tupa (11) / Stan Gelbaugh (3) / Chris Chandler (2)
    1994 Steve Beuerlein (7) / Jay Schroeder (8) / Jim McMahon (1)
    1997 Jake Plummer (9) / Kent Graham (6) / Stoney Case (1)
    2004 Josh McCown (13) / Shaun King (2) / John Navarre (1)

57. By NJAzCardsFan on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

FYI- Skelton broke every QB record when he was at Fordham…. He reminds me a little of John Elway.
    I really hope Skelton does well and makes Whiz and the QB coach eat crow pie for not playing him until now. I stopped watching the Cards games recently because I couldn’t take anymore of the DA debactle, it was just too ugly.

58. By Big Red on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

El Paso, Texas is Cardinal Country that’s what I’ve heard from some friends back in Texas. Wait till next year Cardinals everywhere. Go John Skelton your the man. Just go and beat the Cowgirls in two weeks.

59. By Utah Card on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

“Didn’t really have a choice…”
    “It doesn’t mean it’s going to be great quarterback play…”
    “We’re hoping that Derek could maybe be there as a third quarterback…”

- quotes from King Whiz regarding starting Skelton

While I had already lost an enormous amount of respect for King Whiz because of the multitude of dumb, favoritism-revealing, two-faced decisions he’s made this season, the evolution of my opinion of the man as an NFL head coach has now reached the point of disgust. I simply cannot believe that any competent and successful NFL head coach would malign the prospects of, and express little confidence in, one of his players, in public, prior to that player’s first NFL start. ESPECIALLY when that player is the quarterback, on whom the entire success of the offense is going to depend. Good job King Whiz, way to build up the confidence of your players, even if those players aren’t “Whiz Guys”. Unbelievable.

Which makes me wonder if King Whiz might have been the cause of Leinart’s eventual lack of confidence on the field? Leinart certainly didn’t have that problem when he arrived from USC, so what happened while he was a Card to cause it? I don’t even like Leinart, but to consider that King Whiz might have destroyed Leinart’s career, simply because he wasn’t a “Whiz Guy”, makes my stomach turn.

I also liked this quote from King Whiz during his interview with Wolfley–

“We’re not gonna be recognized as a good running football team until we can convert third downs…”

Speaking of “converting”, to convert King Whiz’s statement into reality requires some translation. It means that if the Card’s can’t convert more of the many third-down PASSING plays called by King Whiz, then King Whiz is not going to consider the Cards to be a good running football team, regardless how many yards-per-carry the backs are averaging. Uhm, what? How are the Cards supposed to convert a third down by running the football, when King Whiz mainly wants to call pass plays on third down? I think it was Gruden during the 49ers game who commented that Whiz was well known throughout the league for throwing the ball on plays that were third-and-short. But of course King Whiz can’t admit that this is the reality, and that it’s the result of his screwed-up play calling, any more than he can admit that it’s been the failure of D(umb) A(…well, you know) to convert third downs by passing the ball. Since DA is one of the “Whiz Guys”, then we all know that DA’s play must have excuses made for it at all cost. So, instead, the running game gets the blame. Real nice, King Whiz. It was nice to see Wolfley’s question make King Whiz squirm while he thought up this BS excuse. That was very telling.

I also liked this quote from the King Whiz press conference, about getting to see Skelton start–

“Where we are now as a, as a team with our record, you know, that’s, that’s something that you do get a chance to look at. That’s one of the positives, I would guess, you know, but I mean, let’s face it, the bottom line is we still wanna win a game…”

Wait, hasn’t Whiz been saying that no matter how bad the veterans (read: DA) were playing, and how many games those veterans (read: DA) lost, that the lack of success was no reason to start playing inexperienced players to find out how well they would perform during a game? But now, King Whiz does an about-face and claims that the lack of success this season is good because it allows him to play an inexperienced player to see how well he can perform during a game? Huh? On what freaking planet is King Whiz residing? Planet Same-Old-Cardinals? And why does King Whiz think the fanbase is going to be too stupid to catch that he’s now changing his story this week, much as he’s changed his story about other matters in previous weeks?

And another thing: What the frack is with King Whiz constantly referring to himself in the second person, saying “you” when he’s talking about himself? AFAIC, this trait is just indicative of the man’s tendency to deflect and avoid taking responsibility, and it’s incredibly annoying.

I’ve had it with King Whiz. I am now officially on board with the “Fire Ken Whisenhunt” crowd. King Whiz might have some football competence in certain areas, but those areas obviously do not include running a football team. Once again, I should have trusted that the Rooneys knew what they were doing in passing over King Whiz. Congratulations Bidwills, you’ve got yourself another real winner for a head coach.

60. By Jeff Gollin on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

Brian Dawkins is listed as “Out” – which suggests that the Cards may be able to take some of the pressure off Skelton by running more and also setting up more play action stuff.

61. By drumm-1 on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

why so hard on Whiz for saying he had no choice and it would make skelton feel bad,but you wanted him to admitt he made a mistake for letting Matt (pretty boy) Leinart go, don’t you think that would make the other QB’s on the team feel unwanted, so why is it ok for him to say it when DA was the qb but it’s wrong now that Skelton will start, the just shows hatered for DA..Some these post just doesn’t make since..Hey Darren dont you get tired of the same question’d ask in 30 different ways….lol

62. By scott023 on Dec 12, 2010 | Reply

Hello there Mr. Drumm-1, so you feel it’s okay to tell skelton he has no hope,good luck there buddy? How about whiz admitting to any of his mountian of failures? How about taking just a little of the blame,You think maybe just alittle bit? He is the head coach,how about standing up and telling the truth! It’s his ego, he is the reason,with Graves. Mike Bidwell is letting this go on why?.He is destroying what is left of the team. I will just bet my last dollar Graves and whiz got a very nice raise,before the truth about them came out. Want to bet? Even Grimm’s line is trash,no head coach to put him in line, because he’s failed every where you look. He has no trouble blaming others, never him, please.

63. By BLOOD REDS DAUGHTER on Dec 12, 2010 | Reply

I think Skelton will do good in there, starting the game out fresh. He will show what he can do and prove his stength. COME ON SKELTON!!!!!

64. By drumm-1 on Dec 12, 2010 | Reply

@Scott023..i’m just saying your guys wanted whiz to say he made a mistake by letting leinart go, how do you think that would make the other qb’s feel..What i think Whiz meant was he had no choice to start Skelton because Hall and DA is hurt and they just signed a qb that week, that don’t know the playbook yet, it wasn’t a knock on Skelton..you guys are looking for anything just to jump on Whiz, he was the coach to take us the superbowl and the playoffs,no other coach has done that..how would you feel if your boss came over the loud speaker and said we should kept Mike because Scott023 is to slow that wouldn’t feel good would it?

2. Dec 10, 2010: Sports Review