Skelton remains starting QB

Posted by Darren Urban on December 13, 2010 – 11:56 am

First things first: Coach Ken Whisenhunt said at quarterback, the Cards will go with the guy with the best chance to win, “and right now, that’s John Skelton.” So Skelton will remain the starter, which — after Sunday — is the way it should be. Quarterback Derek Anderson still is working to be symptom-free from his concussion for 24 hours; he can’t practice until he does so. When he does return, I’d expect him to be the backup and Richard Bartel to slide to third-string.

A couple of other quick notes:

– RB Beanie Wells was so sick yesterday with a fever that Whisenhunt was impressed with how much he did play. Wells ended up taking two IVs before the game started and then just ran out of steam and had to stop. “I admire how he fought through it,” Whisenhunt said.

– If Wells had been healthy, or if LaRod Stephens-Howling hadn’t been gassed, Whisenhunt wouldn’t have put Tim Hightower — who had fumbled — back in the game. “It was out of necessity,” Whisenhunt said. “But he did what he had to do.”

– With “where we were” defensively, Whisenhunt decided the Cards needed LB Daryl Washington back in the starting lineup. Once that happened, the reserve linebacking corps came down to special teams, which is why Reggie Walker was the choice over Gerald Hayes. If Washington stays the starter — and Whisenhunt praised his play — I’d expect Hayes to continue to be inactive barring an injury.

– Whisenhunt on K Jay Feely’s Pro Bowl candidacy: “I certainly would vote for him.”

– Feely is the first player to score a touchdown and kick a field goal of at least 50 yards since Gino Cappelletti did it for the Boston Patriots on Nov. 20, 1964 versus … wait for it … Denver.

– Whisenhunt, on what he would say to those who wish the Cards would lose to secure a better draft pick: “I want to win football games. I think the most important thing for us is to play to win these games. I talked to coach Herm Edwards about that and he said, ‘Hello? You play to win.’ “

Always easy to crack a joke after a big win.

(H/T to @burns620 for the Feely pic)

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

64 Responses to “Skelton remains starting QB”

1. By Ross on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Darren, Do you think Tim gets punished next week, or did he do enough to get out of the doghouse?

2. By Eric Y on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Love this picture.

3. By Gary J on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

This is the best thing Whiz could have said. Your team won and your QB played well. It would seem like a no-brainer to start Skelton again. At least Whiz will have the fans back on his side with smart moves like this. And the other rookies are playing as well and doing very good. That makes everyone happy.

4. By Magee on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

43 points and a win, who are these guys!

5. By Scott on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Darren did you get the …wait for it… from “how I met your mother”?

6. By wayne on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

It’s been a while since we got to talk about a win, it feels great. I thought that Skelton played fairly well with POISE and CONTROL, through some very nice passes. The O-LINE played great. There were some FLAGS that even the CBS crew could not believe called on our secondary, and then a couple that should of been called, the one I could not believe was the HORSE COLLAR tackle that was not called when LAROD(hyhphen) was tackled, that could of caused a major injury, it was so blunt!! Will theses refs get fined or something of that nature? I think everybody seen it.

thanks, Wayne

7. By BMH on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Congrat Skelton and glad to see you starting next week!

8. By Tarl Sampson on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Great game! I know Skeltons numbers sucked, but alot of those throws were right on target. The recievers are just not used to the ball hitting their hands!!! :O) The old rule is, if you touch it, you should catch it. The Cards did great, and I thank them all for their hard work. It was nice to enjoy watching my team play again. They produced the most important thing to me as a fan, HOPE…..

9. By Lone-Eagle on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

I believe the right choice was made regarding Skelton. Now just imagine if he had been put in a while ago, where the team might be?? Anderson needs to stay on the sideline, we’ve seen what he can do, enough said! Jay Feely did an outstanding job yesterday, I hope he keeps it up. Washington, make sure you are across the goalline before you celebrate next time!! I am looking forward to the rest of the season, playoffs or not!!

10. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Ross —

RE: Hightower

Well, 97 yards and 2 TDs in 10 minutes after the benching. What do you think?

11. By georgiebird on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

I agree with trying to win football games BUT there is a very strong argument the other way- if the Rams had won more last year they might have DA or Brady Quinn instead of Bradford. And if Peyton Manning didn’t show up, Tony Dungy would be known as a pretty good defensive coordinator with many teams instead of a HOF head coach. So let’s be open-minded on this subject.
    On Beanie- still hard to believe he’s the youngest guy on the team. If he doesn’t get injured and is taught to run lower, I believe he will eventually be one of the best RBs in football. Based on the age of other RBs such as Shon Green of the Jets, Beanie could still be at Ohio State this year and next year, too.

12. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Scott —

RE: “wait for it”

Honestly, never seen the show. I have heard it for a while though. Not taking credit by any means.

13. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Wayne —

RE: Horsecollar

A “horsecollar” tackle cannot happen in the tackle box, which is where LaRod was. It was, by rule, a clean play.

14. By reap37 on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

It was fun watching the “old” Cards beat the stuffing out of Denver. First game I enjoyed all year (plus the NO game). Not really sure we’ve solved our QB issues as as been noted, but Skelton appeared unflappable at least. Too bad a few receivers missed some catches as it would have improved our perception right away. At this point, it still appears that drafting a QB and a veteran still is the way to go. If it goes the way it looks, I’d guess that Carolina will draft Luck unless we want to do a draft day deal. The QB at Arkansas (Mallett) looks pretty good too.

15. By candice on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

jay feely did amazing with the fake kick then ran in for a touchdown . and skelton did an amazing job as a first time starter he did amzing skelton connected with larry fitzgerald it was great to watch , we were amazing in defense as well all together we were a team best game of the season by far!

16. By Scott on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

I hate to say it, but the Cards are officially elimated from playoffs (last week, actually). The key is the Rams vs Seattle game. Seattle wins, Cards out due to sweep. Rams win, Cards are out due to Rams with 3 division wins. How come the media hasnt caught up, and still say Cards have a chance?

17. By eLpAsOfAn on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Did you all see that block by Skelton??? Sick!

18. By Ross on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I would certainly hope THT redeemed himself, but Whiz didn’t give a ringing endorsement on the monday radio invterview. He mentioned that he heard Tim say he was humbled, but he didn’t care, you just can’t fumble.

19. By Jeffrey on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

I had the privledge to watch that game and I enjoyed all of it. Hightower is my only issue, though he did have a good game outside of the fumble. But I praise Skelton for doing well. I think he is the Quarterback with the best Chance to win. And hell the way our division looks…We could still have a shot at the playoffs….lol

20. By kauaicardsfan on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Do you know what is the most points ever scored by a kicker in a game ? Just curious to see how close Jay came to it?

21. By Brandon on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Any idea what he meant by “where we were defensively” and why Gerald would be benched. I do like Daryl he’s a freak and will be a stud in a few years. However Gerald has been the top run stopping backer for a few years, why do you think he was benched.

22. By SteveDCO on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

I started doing a little digging on the draft and I was shocked how well Graves has done in his tenure in AZ. The last bust draft AZ had was in 2002 the year before Graves took over.

Has he been flawless, no, but no GM ever is. I also loked at Scott Pioli’s drafts over the same span and Graves had more hits than NE.

I truely hope Graves/ Whiz pass on Mallett and Newton and take either Da’Quan Bowers out of Clemson, Akeem Ayers from UCLA or Robert Quinn out of NC. (Luck will be playing in Carolina next year)

We should be in a position to take one of the tope 3 DE/ OLB next year as Hagens and Porter are getting older and we need a true play maker at OLB. Imagine nine-0 not getting double and triple teamed because the backs and TEs are having to protect the edge from an OLB.

I was very impressed with Skelton yesterday. He made a lot of mistakes but a lot of them were timing issues that will start to come with more reps with the ones.

I don’t think it is chance the two best perfoamnces from our D came in the starts from rookie QBs. They felt they had a chance.

23. By Ric Amidei on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

This is from the winter wonderland known as Chicago, In your opinion is Gerald Hayes done as a Card?

24. By Kevin on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Georgiebird —

If any professional sports team ever acknowledges tanking games to get higher draft picks, that will be the beginning of the end of that sports league. The team has to play to win. Now, playing rookies when you’re out of it in order to get them playing time is something that’s acknowledged as OK in all sports (especially baseball where they even expand the roster to allow it), but no one should be suggesting that the Cardinals try to lose games. And given some of their opponents down the stretch (divisional opponents, Denver, Carolina) it was inevitable they would win another game or two.

25. By mike cross on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

who was credited for that last TD? Washington or Dockett? Because Washington clearly fumbled right before he crossed and it bounced right into Docketts hands… so who do they believe got that last TD? Did Dockett let the rookie have the credit or did Washington see the film and realize Dockett got that TD? On paper it was given to Dockett but

26. By CMacyn on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Enough is enough DRC is not trying out there. I have seen in the last three games at least seven time where He attempts to push a receiver down not tackle push. Time for him to man up.

27. By Scott H on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

I have to chuckle…for two painful and unbelievably long months, Derek Anderson gave us the best chance to win. That just started to become a joke after awhile. But now- after one game – Whiz is sure that Skelton gives us the best chance to win. Can someone just stop this guy from talking for awhile??? I really want to forgive the guy and start liking him again, but he just won’t stop saying things that make you ask ” Did he really just say that?” Saying that about Skelton – as glad as I am to hear it – just makes you wonder if that is what he’s going to say no matter who is playing QB…doesn’t it???

Nice to see the Cardinals FINALLY commit to the running game. Really. Making a commitment to the running game means sticking with it even when it’s not successful right of the bat and the game is close. That hasn’t been happening this year, so it was nice to see yesterday. Along with seeing more of Skelton the rest of the way, I’d like to see this team running the ball with the same commitment they showed yesterday.

Note to coach Whiz for next year – can we please actually incorporate the tight end into our offense??? Maybe we’re not going to have a Dallas Clark here but the extent to which the TE is a complete non-factor in our offense is ridiculous. I’m guessing that the Cardinals use the TE as a pass-catching weapon less than any other team in the league. WHY??? Maybe that made sense when we had Warner and we could spread the field with top-filght WR’s and we had a vertical passing attack. News flash – we don’t have that anymore. What we could use is a bona-fide pass-catching TE to help move the chains, extend drives, and serve as a red-zone threat. Many other NFL teams actually do this with considerable success. Why don’t we??? We may have just scored 43 points, but we all know that was an anomaly. This offense has struggled to sustain drives all year in an offensive system where the TE is non-existent. Maybe it’s time to try something a bit different?

28. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Derek Anderson has played like he had concussion all year (not to mention his last years in Cleveland). DA’s supposed concussion is just an easy way for Whiz to subtract DA from the equation and save face after he insisted all season DA gave the team the best chance to win. With DA’s not cleared to play, Whiz doesn’t have to go on record saying he thinks Skelton gives the team the best chance to win (i.e. he chooses a healthy Skelton to start over a healthy Anderson).

29. By Nikko on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Like I said, Cardinals Would win & then did win! Skelton didn’t look like a top QB in the league, but which rookie did his first game? Still he looked solid & played much better than da or mh’s pathetic game play!! Plus he did things da & mh wouldn’t even think about, like staying poised through the whole game, making blocks, and wait for it…………. Try to run someone over to get a first down, which he did!! & you guys kept saying he wasn’t ready lmfao! He played just as well If not better than da or mh did all year!!

30. By Chuck 1 on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Isn’t this just dandy that the Cards could win a game with a “raw” QB who is “a project”?

It makes one wonder how many wins the Cards might have had if Skelton would have started more games? 5, 6, 7, 8???

It’s just another example of poor personnel decisions by Whiz.

31. By Nick Pepe on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

I enjoyed a Monday at work for the first time in long while!!!! Skelton showed poise (as mentioned above). There have been worse debuts at QB in the NFL that is for sure. I don’t care if Denver is reeling or not, it was a solid performance. We did drop a few balls, but all in all, good outing. I hope they carry it forward to the next 3 games.
    And that picture above is classic! What a performance by our kicker. See you in Hawaii Jay Feely.

@ reap37, I think Luck will go early, but I do not expect Carolina to go there. The are high on Clausen…..but with a new regime coming in (I assume) I guess you never know

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

32. By Anonymous Cardinals Fan on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

It’s great that we won, but I felt it was mainly the factor that Denver was having a terrible day that gave us the win, not improvement. Skelton and Jay feely did FENOMONAL, words don’t even begin to describe how happy I was with their performance. That “Denver 3 Jay Feely 22″ picture was hilarious and my family had a huge laugh session. We still need to improve, our defense was doing good, our O-line was improving as stated earlier, but our offense keeps getting 3-and outs leading to jay feely putting points on the board. I want to see some more of the 08 and 09 season in the panthers game sunday, because we undoubtedly have the talent to become superbowl contenders (next year)

33. By Rick on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Uh….why is the site trying to post my comment as “Rick”. I’m sure he’d prefer I not post under his name as much as I’d rather not post under his name.

34. By Ed Scaife on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Darren – I know you don’t like to speculate, but here’s something fun to think about: If the Cards can win the next two games, there’s a viable scenario where every team in the NFC West is 6-9 after week 16’s games.

35. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Ed —

RE: The West at 6-9

The problem (for the Cards) is the Rams and Seahawks play each other the final game.

36. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Scott —

RE: NFC West

Rams and Seahawks could conceivable tie.

37. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Kauai —

RE: Kicker scoring record

Come on man, gotta read my stuff. It was here and here.

38. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Brandon —

RE: Hayes

Because he isn’t playing very well.

39. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Ric —

RE; Hayes tenure

I think he could be at the end, yes.

40. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Mike Cross —

RE: Last TD

Dockett got the TD on the fumble recovery.

41. By Card man on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

And to think I was the only one who took a picture… lol. AWESOME!!

42. By Joe daddy on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Hey D. What do you think of levi brown? whats the rest of his contract look like and do you think he will be around next year? I really hope NOT because hes been consistently below average since hes been in the league. I would love to see our o-line look like this next yr.

LT:Brandon keith G: hadnot C: Sendlein G: Lutui RT: jeremy bridges

I would love that combination. Those guys bring an attitude to the game.

43. By Sean on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

I have one thing to look forward to while I’m in the hospital this Christmas… The Cards on regular TV out here in Massachusetts. I’ll be that guy wearing his Tillman jersey and making a ruckus.

44. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Sean —

RE: Xmas game

Make sure they have the NFL Network …

45. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Joe daddy —

RE: Levi Brown

I’d have to look up his contract but I don’t see them releasing him.

46. By Scott on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

You don’t think I’d consider a tie, before proclaiming “media needs to catch up”? A tie gives The Rams a 7-8-1, Seahawks 7-8-1, Cardinals 7-9., AND would give the Rams a 2 wins and a tie within in division, Cards can only get one more, giving them 2 total, Percentage points go to both the Rams and the Seahawks. Cards are STILL out. There is NO scenario in which the Cardinals can make the playoffs in 2010-2011.

47. By joe67 on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Oh gees! A year ago Wiz was candidate for coach of the year! He took a gamble and rolled the dice on DA. If DA had found “it” and played like many think he can at some point (personally I’m not so sure), Wiz would be a genoius! Sometimes you gamble and win (Warner) and sometimes you don’t. There will never be a coach here that some of you “experts” think knows anywhere near what you guys do!
    And some of you think the Bidwills don’t spend enough, boy, wouldn’t it be great to have an owner like Dan Snyder to drop 21M on a DL like Haynesworth who doesn’t even make it thru the season. After all the money he and Jerry Jones spent, the last two years Bidwills 2 playoff appearnaces, and each of the others 0!!! We would really have something to complain about if they had brought Haynesworth here. You whiners ought to go in some type of business yourselves and see all the ways your employees and friends, etc. can find for you to spend your money. They will never have highest payroll in the league, and neither would I if I was in there position. Highest payroll doesn’t usually win Championships! i.e. Yankees, Cowboys, Islanders.

48. By kauaicardsfan on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Sorry Darren, My Bad, I did read those though? Must have been still in a state of shock on the win when reading those blogs!
    Much Mahalo’s !!!

49. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Scott —

RE: Rams/Seahawks

But if the Rams and Seahawks lose next two then tie, they are 6-9-1. Cards would be 7-9.

50. By Peter in Canada on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Ric – I think the Cards are going to have to totally change the linebackers in the next two years as all of them are over 30. Hayes is also coming off serious back problems which has probably caused his play to fall off. Whether it is a permanent decline remains to be seen. This year Haggans has been having health problems also, and I think it would be good for the Cards to start playing Schofield more.

Darren- I didn’t see the game as it wasn’t televised up here. Did Williams get a lot of minutes and how did he look? Thankyou.

51. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Peter —

RE: Williams

Assume you mean Dan Williams. Yes, he logged a lot of time and from what I noticed, played decently.

52. By Scott on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Crud. I’m eating crow…and I owe a friend 10 bucks…

53. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Scott —

RE: Crow

I just wanted to make sure everyone didn’t think I was off-base. Sorry about the cash.

54. By Scott on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

No no, you were 100% right. I said, mathmatically. And, even with 49ers still playing the Rams, The standings COULD be:

Cardinas: 7-9
    Seahawks 6-9-1
    Rams 6-9-1
    49ers 6-10

And I thought I had a step on you media guys…Welp, ya gave me new hope for the season! lol! THREE PEAT STILL ALIVE!!

55. By Nikko on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Oh yeah & he didn’t turn the ball over either like da or mh would have done!!!

56. By cards62 on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Darren A. Wilson looked a lot better with 11 tackles and I noticed Johnson and Washington on the field a lot this game and they also looked good, except for of course Washington acting like the 9 year old fool returning the interception for a TD. Can you tell me what we were doing different with our defense this game?

We all know our defense and Feely were the keys to our win, but it was so very nice to see the offense run the ball all game for a change and to score 2 rushing TDs in the 4th quarter by our offense. Our OC still did not have a great game, but he did have his best game of the year.

I am so pleased for the season ticket holders that they were able to see our team play well once this season. I know the Broncos are not good this year, but we looked really good today, the best we played all year, and we have played very poorly against poor clubs.

Good to see coach play Skelton, Washington, Johnson more and LSH got his bell rung pretty good on a carry, and coaches were on top of it and sent Timmy Hightower back into the game. I wish Beanie was not ill and I do understand Coach’s anger with Highttower fumbling and it is not getting any better. I still do not think we use LSH right on offense. He can not carry several times in a row. We had Wright so we must use him.

I do not know if Skelton is the answer, but it was nice to see Larry F. smiling at the end of the game, and the differnce between Selton and Hall is enormus. Someone on our team is totally clueless on measuring quarterback play.

We will be drafting from a very good position this year no matter how we finsih this season so hopefully we can continue to play the young guys and play well and pick up some very good players to help us next year.

Guys what has happen to Stephen Williams? Great preaseason to invisible man during regular season.

Some fans knocking and wanting to get rid of Levi Brown next year. Guys Levi can run block and we must move him to guard like Dallas did with Leonard Davis. I hope we learn from that mistake. Levi is not a tackle he is a guard.

Lyle S. fumbling 2 straight snaps. I know his hand was hurt I saw the gash, but he should have known his hand was hurt and not hurt the team. I do not know what you guys see in him.

Toler and DRC I think they played well. I do not understand all the haters especially with our poor run defense and pass rush.

Money Mike Adams – He is not my guy, but I must admit I thought he played very well in the secondary and I am happy for him.

Go Cards. 43 Points Do you believe it, 43 points ?

57. By georgiebird on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

Kevin,
    Calm down- who’s talking about tanking games. I said at the outset of my post “winning is better than losing”
    Tanking games could get a coach thrown out of the league. Why would the Cardinals risk purposely laying down and losing a game on coach’s orders- for the Cardinals it’s easier – all they have to do is start DA.

58. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

cards62 —

RE: Defense

They didn’t change anything. Just played better.

59. By fightingbird on Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

Darren,We cardinals fans in North Carolina wish you and the cardinals a merry christmas and a happy new year. we will see you guys on sunday.we will be on cards side at the 50 yd line in row 1A

60. By cardsalltheway on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

Follower as opposed to fan,
    As one of J. Skelton’s biggest followers(please consider me a “Follower” of him and the Cards which distinguishes me from others) after the Leinart thing-a-ma-job — actually, after the draft — CONGRATULATIONS! I knew, and know he can do it. Unfortunately, I think Cardinal fans have been divided this year(due to the decisions of you know who — until further notice), so I’m no longer a “fan,” rather a “Follower.”

61. By cardsalltheway on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

Johnny S., you are the man!

62. By cardsalltheway on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

John Skelton nickname — Would you ask Johnny S. if he minds being referred to as “Johnny S.” Then, if/when other players call him that, maybe I can get some credit for penning his nickname?

63. By Darren Urban on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

Cardsall —

RE: Nickname

I’ll try to run it past him.

64. By IRISHRED on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

C.A.T.W……
    Yah you get credit for everything. You’re awesome. No one else here has an original thought. PLEASE start your own site. You deserve it. Idiots like me really don’t know what “fan” means. We just “follow” Whiz and DA and Hall cause we truly are ALL THE WAY; even if its waaaay down the stats. It should go without saying that I/we want whoever is chosen to do well, but I’d wager my Guinness (!) you’ll be first in line to scream for removing Johnny S (really??) head if he doesn’t measure up to your standards.