Anderson still out and a post-practice update

Posted by Darren Urban on December 15, 2010 – 2:35 pm

Quarterback Derek Anderson remains sidelined with concussion symptoms, a moot point in one way since John Skelton was going to start regardless but now something that has to be a concern. No matter how you feel about his play, having a concussion knock a guy out into a second week is scary.

Seven players were limited today, including two newcomers from last week’s group. Running back Beanie Wells said he is “trying” to get past the leftovers of what took him out of the game Sunday (and since I apparently have been afflicted with an illness myself — thanks, son — let me say working in this environment not so much fun). Linebacker O’Brien Schofield also was limited with a hamstring injury, but I don’t expect any of these to cause a problem Sunday.

As a heads-up, rookie nose tackle Dan Williams will be Adrian Wilson’s guest on the Big Red Rage tomorrow. It’ll be at Majerle’s at 6 p.m. and air live on Sports 620 KTAR (and be streamed live on video here at azcardinals.com).

Tags: , , , , , ,

46 Responses to “Anderson still out and a post-practice update”

1. By Nicholas on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

2. By Eric Y on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

The Booty tomorrow night! I’ll def be listening.

3. By LadyCard04 on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

Sorry to hear DA is still suffering symptoms of concussion. Thanks for keeping us updated and let Derek know we wish him a speedy recovery. As you said, it is scary to have the symptoms last this long.

4. By Tony on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

Even though I hope to never see him take another snap as a Cardinal I do hope he will be okay

5. By Chris B on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

Can you recall a time when Hightower sat out? Every game it amazes me that I haven’t even seen him on the limited list… or have I missed it? That guy is resilient.

6. By Phoenixraven1 on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

So impressed with were Dan Williams has emaerged! Think we have our anchor! With angry gabe backing up ourNT spots covered for years!

7. By Darren Urban on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

Chris B —

RE: Hightower limited

I assume you mean practice? I wouldn’t say never, but I don’t recall any off the top of my head.

8. By ross on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

Tim was limited some last year with a thumb injury.

Darren, hope you feel better.

9. By HD on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

What is with this Beanie guy, if it ain’t one thing its another, I am beginning to have my doubts. He has got a lot to prove if can can ever get on for than one play.

10. By Jesse Robles on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

If we can win out and finish strong, that would give us huge momentum going into next season. We just need to continue to get first downs, and not turn the ball over. I love seeing our rookies do good, for all those “so-called” fans talking crap about how “horrible” the Cards are drafting.

11. By Jesse Robles on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

Everyone needs to understand that the only loss that hurt us was Kurt Warner not fulfilling his end of the 2 year Contract, Everyone else is just as good if not better than who they took over for. Lenon, and Rhodes are huge pick ups for what they have done for this D, Drafting Washington, Williams, and Schofield is just amazing. If Skelton can play as consistently as he did on Sunday, then pick up a Vet in the Offseason is all we would need if Palmer, or Mcnabb would become available. We then could use our FIRST Round Draft Pick on Patrick Peterson from LSU, or Prince Amukamara from Nebraska, to PUSH DRC, and to have 2 great corners. Or draft Akeem Ayers out of UCLA to boost our OLB’s. Maybe an Offensive Lineman, all I am saying is DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS, the Steelers prove that time after time, year after year. I do believe our Defense is good and has even better potential.

12. By JC_AZ on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

Not delusional exactly… but what if SF, Rams and Seahags lose out and we win out… playoffs at home…LMAO and with a rookie QB

13. By Darren Urban on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

JC_Az —

RE: Playoffs

Only way it can happen is if Rams/Seahawks tie in finale.

14. By Voice of Reason on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

Um, not going to happen. And the way the team squandered the season with bad personnel decisions (or lack of any decision when one still could have affected this season), I can’t say the failure isn’t well deserved (and this comes from a HUGE, albeit frustrated, Cardinals fan).

15. By brad oneill on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

a year without the playoffs isn’t the end of the world. heck Steelers missed them last year after they edged us in the super bowl.

as for DA, i hope he is alright, he seems like a genuinely good guy and I hate to see him hurt. I do think he needs some serious work to become a starter again in this league but he had some gutty performances out there behind a line that wasn’t exactly keeping people off of him.

I don’t think its a good idea to bench tim everytime he drops a ball. I realize it is unacceptable blah blah blah but its going to happen. I say if your going to make a change wait until after the game and drop him on the depth chart for next week if he doesn’t secure it. they let da go back out there after he threw some horrible pics. they leave the receivers in when they are dropping balls, they don’t bench the punter after he shanks one. they leave wolf in even after he makes a comment on the big red rage that causes adrian wilson and the entire audience at home to shift uncomfortably in their seats.

they even leave paul calvisi in despite a facial hair misfire.

so quit picking on tim!!!!!

16. By Richrad the Rivercat on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Maybe I missed this, and if I did I’m sorry… but did we ever find out what play it was that DA got his concussion on? I don’t remember seeing it…

17. By Tien on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

darren what do you mean by tie? like overtime tie or what?

18. By darrel on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

Just wait hell have big game this weekend

19. By Big Red on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

We’ll bounce back next year. No, QB in the draft we got our own QB in John Skelton. In two more years Cards in the Super Bowl with or with out Fitz. But lets hope they sign him for somemore good years.

20. By Paul on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

Lighten up a little Nicholas. Plenty of blame around the roster for the whole TEAMS poor play this season.

21. By Darren Urban on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

Richard —

RE: DA hit

We never did find out, no.

22. By Darren Urban on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

Tein —

RE: Tie

A tie is a tie. Yes, you’d have to go through an overtime to get there.

23. By TBru on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

If this .00000001% playoff scenario comes into fruition and the Cardinals end up hosting a playoff game every one should wear red ties to the game, or some old school Billy Bow Ties

24. By Skiptim on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

Was that a Dumb and Dumber reference in your Underground Podcast?

25. By Mike Ellingboe on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

@Nicholas,

Apparently DA isn’t the only one suffering the effects of a concussion (i.e. – yelling indicates confusion and repeating the same word 3x in a sentence can’t be a good sign).

26. By Chuck 1 on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

By Nicholas: “FIRE DA ALREADY!! HE’S HAD A CONCUSSION ALL YEAR LONG!! HE’S GARBAGE GARBAGE GARBAGE!!!”

Granted, DA has had a bad season, but DONT WRITE THAT!!!
    The man is seriously injured.

27. By ken cadena on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

HOPE is Good.
    But i think I would not bank on the rookie to be the savior

28. By Utah Card on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I have some statistical requests for you. If you don’t have the time to find this info, no prob, I can’t seem to find the time to figure it out, either.

* Of the 16 3rd downs the Cards had against Denver, for how many of them did Whiz call passing plays, and how many of those passing plays were converted? Of the 3rd downs that had rushing plays called, how many were converted? I stopped keeping track during the game after the passing plays mentioned in your “Looking To Be On Target” story, and after the 3rd and 2(?) at Denver’s five yard line that preceded Feely’s touchdown.

* What was the largest disparity between the number of running plays and passing plays called during the game, at what point in the game did that disparity occur, and what was the score at that time? This will be later in the game, late 3rd quarter or beginning of 4th, I’m not sure which.

Thanks in advance if you’re able to find the time to retrieve this information.

29. By Cards across the pond on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Great win chaps! Sorry DA banged up. Despite his problems, porous O line etc one has to admire his toughness. Hope he’s better soon. ‘Congressman’ Jay Feely – amazing performance. Denver 3 Jay Feely 22 great tv picture. Is he highest Cards points scorer this season? Can he play QB too? Solid start by rookie Skeleton. Larry – Mr Diplomacy as ever. Well done in beating Q’s record. Let’s finish strongly & get the good feelings back. Thanks Darren for your continuing good work!

30. By Joe on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren this is way off topic but do you think beanie is ever gonna be healthy enough to make an impact. That dude needs to take some vitamins or something my grandma doesn’t have that many health issues.

31. By Darren Urban on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Utah —

RE: Questions

I’d have to look all that up. The passing play I mentioned in the article was 3rd-n-5, and it was the right call — as long as Skelton just would have tossed it to Hightower for an easy first down. If I get a chance later, I will post the answer right here.

32. By Darren Urban on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Joe —

RE: Beanie

Well, the sickness this weekend has nothing to do with Beanie, really. I came down with something harsh yesterday out of the blue. It’s going around right now and these guys are still human.

33. By mike egan on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

#3 is a good number for Anderson to wear, cause he’s a third string type QB. Personally I like the QB’s to wear the traditional #’s 10 thru 19. The Cardinals have more receivers who think they are QB’s than receivers who can play the game.

34. By K-DUB on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

DA is playing possum, because he knows we don’t want to see him suit up in Cardinals Red for the remainder of the season or career.

35. By Darren Urban on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

K-Dub —

RE: DA playing possum

No. No he’s not.

36. By disappointed_card on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

I cannot believe people are forgetting the fact that DA is a human being. Darren, you need to say something about this. It does not matter if he threw an interception or not, I do not want anyone concussed. Do you guys be ok if your sons are concussed?

37. By Chuck 1 on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

To: disappointed_card,

Thanks for joining the effort to bring civility to these postings.

It’s OK to disagree with the coaching staff’s and players’ decisions and performance.

BUT, it’s not OK to level personal attacks on them.

Let’s clean it up.

38. By darrel on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

I’m sorry but as a player ppl don’t like him. Here. He embarassed us imo …. I’m sure hell be okay after the seasons over but. I think fans could careless if they see him again just sayn

39. By Steve in NC on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren

On the subject of DA’s concussion, I realize its hard to figure out exactly which play took him out of the game but is it possible that DA might of actually suffered a concussion in a previous game and never said anything and the coaches/trainers never caught it until it was too late.

40. By Eazy E on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Yeah, give DA a break, dude has a concussion and that is a very serious injury, be a human for once in your life whoever is criticizing DA for faking an injury or just saying he is garbage anyway, none of that matters when he has a concussion.

41. By Eazy E on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Get A Life

42. By Skiptim on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

“cough”
    When you said something like “so you’re saying there’s a chance” in your Underground Podcast, was it a Dumb and Dumber reference?

43. By Darren Urban on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Skiptim —

RE: I heard you

Yes. Yes it was.

44. By Skiptim on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

SWEET! I love that movie. There were two movies I grew up watching over and over again. One was Braveheart, the other was Dumb and Dumber.

45. By Darren Urban on Dec 17, 2010 | Reply

Skiptim —

RE: Dumb n …

Would you be mad if I told you I’ve never actually seen it all the way through? Just happened to know that scene.

46. By Skiptim on Dec 17, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I wouldn’t be mad, I’d just be… disappointed.