Fun in the rain

Posted by Darren Urban on December 16, 2010 – 2:01 pm

It’s not what anyone in Minnesota or Chicago or Green Bay is dealing with, but there was a little poor weather for the Cardinals’ practice Thursday (and it’s relative — coach Ken Whisenhunt was still wearing shorts) as the rain came down at a steady clip. Which, all things considered, isn’t a bad turn of events. Some rain is forecast for Charlotte this weekend, and while it isn’t supposed to come down Sunday, dealing with a wet field is something useful. “We get something positive out of today’s work,” Whisenhunt said.

Every once in a while, Whisenhunt likes the idea it’ll rain during the week. Sunny every day seems nice and “I’m not going to complain.” But, he added, “At some point we’re going to need to play in it so it’s good to get work in it today.”

– The injury report remained unchanged from Wednesday, meaning QB Derek Anderson still is not practicing and seven others were limited.

– Running back Beanie Wells was much better Thursday from his illness, Whisenhunt said, although he was still limited. The big concern now is making sure Wells remains hydrated, especially with a long flight to Carolina tomorrow. That’s always impressed upon the players, to drink a lot of fluids for long flights, and it’s more important for someone who has been sick and lost a lot of fluid.

– Anderson still can’t come back. Whisenhunt said Anderson is having headaches every time he returns to activity, a red flag that prevents him from being cleared. Again, a scary situation. Until he can avoid those, he won’t get back on the field. I was asked if Anderson could go on IR; I don’t expect it, but if he can’t come back this week, it may be worth it to pick up a third QB for the last two games and shelve Anderson. Again, it’ll depend on Anderson’s progress.

Tags: , , ,

25 Responses to “Fun in the rain”

1. By schmatty on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Do players who go on IR make the same money they would be making if they would of stayed healthy?

2. By Darren Urban on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Schmatty –

RE: IR pay

Yes, players on IR continue to make their salary.

3. By Joshua on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

I am not a huge fan of DA, that being said I hope he is not put on the IR for the rest of the season. I know it’s only a few games, but he is the ONLY veteran QB that Skelton can turn to for guidance and leadership. Yes, DA is not the best QB but he is not an idiot, he has started in the NFL for a while and I think just him being on the sideline to help is better than not having him.

4. By cards62 on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren how much do you think Beanie will play Sunday?

5. By Darren Urban on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Cards62 –

RE: Beanie PT

Your guess is as good as mine.

6. By Nick Pepe on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

I wish DA the best. That is very scary that the headaches remain over one week later. I hope he and the Cards act in the best interest of his health. And I am sure they will.

Darren – I am sorry for going here again, but who was the emergency QB Sunday? I did not catch that when watching the game….and what will that situation be this Sunday if DA is out again….which appears likely?

And don’t complain about the rain, especially if you can still wear shorts. Snow and Ice here in Delaware…….took me an hour and half to travel 8 miles. Man I hate winter!!!!!

Nick Pepe
    Cold Lifetime Member

7. By Darren Urban on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Nick –

RE: Emergency QB

As I said last week, I would guess Doucet or Breaston. Cards aren’t saying.

8. By Fortun8s on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren:

Do the Cardinals have a full time sports psychologist on staff? If so Who?

What an opportunity for the Cardinal players to shine and cement their position on the team this Sunday !!!! I expect, shades of two years performance.

9. By AndyStandsUp on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

It’s comforting to play in the rain when you’ve had the season the Cards have; no one can tell if you’re crying.
    Darren, IYO, is Anderson still out because of the severity of the injury or because of the awareness of the league with concussions?

10. By Darren Urban on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Fortun –

RE: psychologist

No they don’t.

11. By Darren Urban on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: DA reason

If he is still having headaches, I have no doubt it’s the former.

12. By Eazy E on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Hope he gets well very soon because concussions ain’t no joke but if it keeps getting bad, putting him on IR would probably be the best decision and signing another veteran qb

13. By MIKEFLORIO on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Alright Urb, I have disected and even had my editing team look through the film, I have seen nothing that would indicate a concussion hit or blow. So I have come to a few conclusions, 1. Anderson has been playing with a concussion all season, which would explain the off, season he had, good luck next year.
    2. He sustained a hit before the tantrum interview, which would explain his demeanor. 3. He his hoping he is placed on the IR until his contract runs out to keep collecting his paychecks.
    All signs point and even he expects to return to his 07′ form and rise like a phoenix from the ashes ala Warner!!!! Go cards 2011

14. By TBru on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

My fantasy team is hoping HIghtower and Feely can put together back to back good weeks. Forget draft position, Forget going out on a high note. Let these guys know Tbru’s all important fantasy team is counting on them lol

15. By Javi on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Well derek hello ummm I just wanted to let you know tat I predict that the cardinals might have a low pick in the draft so tell me what would be the probability that the cardinals will draft CAM NEWTON because he is my favorite quarterback to go to the cards

16. By cory on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Ok. I dont want to spark memories of Jim Mora (Playoffs…? PLAYoffs…?), but… can you help me with the picture here? What needs to happen for us to become a 7-9 (but get to host a game anyway) playoff team? Is it as simple as us winning out and everyone losing out? Or will that still put us in a tie situation?

Thanks!

17. By Chuck 1 on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Are players e.g. Anderson, who are on IR, allowed on the sidelines?

18. By Darren Urban on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Cory –

RE: Playoffs

Rams/Seahawks must lost two and then tie in finale. Niners must lost other two (including tonight, which they will) and beat Rams. Cards must win out. Feasible, except for the Rams/Seahawks tie.

19. By Darren Urban on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Chuck –

RE: Sidelines IR

Yes. They don’t travel, so it only matters at home. And usually, guys who are hurt don’t really want to go to the games. Usually it bothers them that they can’t play.

20. By Jeff Gollin on Dec 17, 2010 | Reply

Looking at the big picture, of course I hope that Anderson will recover from post-concussion affects soon.

But looking at it from a much more narrow, selfish standpoint, those lingering concussion symptoms may help to explain why DA – with that goofy half-smile on his face all the time – seemed to be…let’s just say…lacking all year long in the “mentally alert” dept. (not on top of all his reads, clueless in the pocket).

I’m thinking (i.e. hoping) that, perhaps DA got dinged early in the season and has been operating a bit “punchy” ever since. Perhaps he’ll become a brighter, mentally sharper QB after some more time away from the action.

21. By UC on Dec 17, 2010 | Reply

“Yes, DA is not the best QB but he is not an idiot, he has started in the NFL for a while and I think just him being on the sideline to help is better than not having him.”

Yes, DA could teach Skelton the fine art of looking off coverage, cause DA got super smart like that with all of the starting he’s done.

Or maybe DA could advise Skelton about what’s hot in billy goat facial hair styles.

22. By Kevin on Dec 17, 2010 | Reply

I wonder how many times Darren you or others are going to have to answer the question about how the Cards might still win the division and the elusive SEA/STL tie. I guess it will be until SEA or STL wins another game.

Even though it’s the longest of long shots, it would be cool to go into the last week with still a chance. Of course that means taking care of business against Carolina and then beating Dallas at home, while SEA and STL lose this week (SEA will; STL, not sure about the latest on Cassel) and next week (would require SF to rebound and beat STL).

On a positive note even if we can’t win the division, a win vs. CAR evens us with SF. Then if we either both win or both lose next week, we’ll remain tied and we’d be playing the final game heads up to avoid the cellar. It would be nice to avoid going from first to last and hopefully the players would have that extra incentive (not that they should need any against the 49ers).

23. By emm7777 on Dec 17, 2010 | Reply

Stop talking about QBs, right now. Let’s be optimistic fans for a minute and see what Skelton can do. It would be nice to have a high pick and be able to go O-line or something.

24. By fgivargis on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

GO AFTER KYLE ORTON ASAP, AND PREPARE HIM FOR NEXT YEAR, HE WOULD BE A PERFECT FIT.

25. By fgivargis on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

OH. BY THE WAY GO BEARS! Living in AZ now and root for cards as distant second team as well.