Friday before the Panthers

Posted by Darren Urban on December 17, 2010 – 5:05 pm

We’re in the air on the way to Carolina for this edition of “Friday before.” Derek Anderson missed a second straight week of practices, so – barring something unforeseen – the Cardinals will have two QBs Sunday: John Skelton, and backup Richard Bartel.

So that leaves who as an emergency quarterback?

Coach Ken Whisenhunt hasn’t said. Maybe he’d rather not jinx it. But looking at the guys who could, wide receiver Early Doucet – who has played the spot from the wildcat position once or twice – seems like the guy.

“I think so,” Doucet said.

And what does he think about that? Like most non-quarterbacks, the idea of playing the spot in the NFL does bring a smile to his face.

“Obviously you want everyone to stay healthy but if that opportunity did present itself, I am confident enough and played the position all through high school and a couple times in college, so I don’t think it’d be something completely new,” Doucet said. “It would be fun, but at the same time I’d rather have the quarterbacks stay healthy.”

I think it’s safe to say the rest of the Cardinals are thinking the same.

– Speaking of quarterbacks …

I’m going to write on Donovan McNabb because, well, I have to. The news came down that not only is McNabb not starting for Washington, he’s not even the backup. Yikes. So obviously, he’s not going to be in Washington next season (unless the Redskins want to take this mess into 2011, which I can’t see why).

So everyone – again – wants to see him in Arizona. They try to connect the dots out there around the NFL. Here’s my non-Twitter take: It won’t happen. Will I say that 100 percent? No. The veteran list out there this offseason is very, very thin. The Cards still need one. But I will repeat what I have said many times: For the Cards to get him, it means two teams will have given up on McNabb in one year. If that isn’t a red flag, I’m not sure what is. The Cards haven’t had interest in chasing him before, and I don’t think that will change.

– It’s been quite the week for kicker Jay Feely, and deservedly so. Yet, as a kicker, he still was taking some good-natured shots this week. Why, I ask. Why? Here was Larry Fitzgerald talking about getting the offense going a little more: “We love for Jay Feely to get points but we need some touchdowns this week.” Then there was Panthers coach John Fox, who was asked in the conference call if he might, you know, scheme a little defense for our man Jay. “Our media ask me about that,” Fox said. “I told them, ‘No offense’ but I did giggle.”

– You want to see a cool interview, Paul Calvisi sat down with Fitz to watch some video of Fitz’s greatest catches after he broke the franchise record for catches. I got a sneak peek and it was worth the time. It’ll air on “Maximum Cardinals” Saturday on NBC (Ch. 12) at 4 p.m. If you miss it, it’ll be posted on the website Sunday.

– Strange note of the week: Fox is going to use music during Sunday’s broadcast of Cards-Panthers, as an experiment. According to the USA Today, it could include popular music, but this weekend will definitely have some original pieces. Kind of like a movie score, I’d guess. I’m a huge fan of movie scores, but not sure it’ll work in this setting. We’ll see. (Yes, the game will still have announcers).

– Loved this quote from Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, who was praising Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith and saying he enjoyed going up against someone that good: “He’s a little angry guy and he’s going to give you 100 percent.”

DRC came out ahead the last time these two saw each other in Charlotte. And the cornerback did have one of his better games last week. Having him finish strong is important.

– OK, that’s long enough. See you on the other side. Or at least when we land (love in-flight internet).

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

57 Responses to “Friday before the Panthers”

1. By Beezus on Dec 17, 2010 | Reply

Darren, lest we forget that Kurt Warner was also given up on by two teams (Rams and Giants) in one year, only to be picked up by the Cardinals the following season.

2. By LB on Dec 17, 2010 | Reply

Who exactly is voting for DRC for the Pro Bowl? I understand being a fan, but we need to be at least a little bit objective. The guy was horrible most of this season, he shouldn’t even watch the Pro Bowl on TV.

He did have a nice game last week, so hopefully he finishes the season strong.

3. By tRiGiDy22 on Dec 17, 2010 | Reply

Maybe we can start talking to Russ Grimm???

Do a decision?? Lets set up the Blueprints now!!

Russ, Coaches Carolina next Year! We trade Carolina are 1st an some of Grimm’s Favorites. An his son for That number 1 pick LOL ( A.Luck)

Lets go BigRed!!

4. By Staff Sergeant Tim Roberts (US Army) on Dec 17, 2010 | Reply

Here’s the thing; at this point McNabb couldn’t hurt us. I remember everybody said Kurt Warner was washed up and we made a huge mistake in getting him. But look at what he did, he turned the leagues worst team into contenders for the title! After two years with the team no less!?!?!?! I wouldn’t shed a tear if he came our way. He would have some of the best recievers in the NFL AND would (in my opionion) add an extra weapon to our arsenal. He has shown he can winand sustain drives, we dont hhave anyone who can do that now. Why not at least try?!?! It may just work out in our favor.

5. By AndyStandsUp on Dec 17, 2010 | Reply

The only music Fox should be playing is a funeral march.

6. By Brad oneill on Dec 17, 2010 | Reply

Will we be as sick of donovan mcnabb being mentioned in the offseason as we were of um donovan mcnabb being mentioned last offseason?

how can they do this to us twice darren!!!! Next thing you know bulger will be available also and coach will be saying I have confidence in da as our starter but we are going to go ahead and let the other quarterbacks play in the preseason so we can see what we have.

7. By OLD CARDS FAN on Dec 17, 2010 | Reply

what? no chance for mcnabb but the cards go after DA and make him a starter after what happen in clev. c’mon on man.

8. By Lone-Eagle on Dec 17, 2010 | Reply

You are 100% correct. We don’t need another headache by signing McNabb if he gets released. Call me crazy, but I really believe we have our QB. This week and next I believe will tell the story. I really believe Skelton is a diamond in the rough. A little polishing and chipping here and there and he could very well be the face of the franchise. I suggest the team brings in a quality veteran backup and perhaps draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th round. With some of the dismal play at QB this year for all teams, I am pretty sure all the quality QB’s of starting capability will already be gone. I personally believe in the draft we have other areas that need to be addressed. I have a feeling that Skelton is going to have a good game against the Panthers as long as his recievers catch the ball. I also think Skelton is a real stand up guy by taking responsibility for his receivers not catching passes that are right in their hands. Skelton may not be Warner, but I think with a good finish to this season and a good quality off-season Skelton is going to shock the league. Here is a crazy question Darren, what is the possibility of getting Warner to be a QB coach next season, or is that just a stupid suggestion?

9. By mike on Dec 17, 2010 | Reply

Urban..

You could say the same thing about Warner. He was released by the Rams and Giants before coming here. McNabb would be the perfect fit while Skelton develops. Look how much Vick improve under McNabb. Also, there’s no doubt in my mind we would be winning this division if McNabb was our quarterback. Anyways, keep up the good work. I enjoy reading your blogs

10. By Chris B on Dec 17, 2010 | Reply

I dont know about McNabb. This article gives some very valid points. Those red flags are a concern but look at the situations: Andy Reid is a genius. He wanted younger now not when he was forced to go there. And then this article gvies points as to why McNabb isn’t welcome in DC:

Never say never. He’d make a great stop gap for the QB of Whizes choice not unlike Warner was for Denny Green’s QB… Just saying…

11. By Chris B on Dec 17, 2010 | Reply

12. By Paul on Dec 17, 2010 | Reply

Gee, I’m sure glad Denny Green didn’t have have a problem bringing in a QB that had been rejected by two teams in a year. His name was Kurt Warner. That seemed to work out. Even though Kurt’s “style” didn’t fit K. Whisenhunt’s offense that he ran in Pittsburgh. Funny how things can work out if you want it bad enough. This team better have an QB answer next season or it will be a long year in the ticket office.

13. By Ken Cadena on Dec 17, 2010 | Reply

I think its great that the cards got a win last week, but im very concerned with coaches comments of I have no choice. That tells me he is trying to convince the public to buy off on his thought process. I would say when you have a 53 Man Roster, you do have choices. Heres my take on the end of the season. I think Tim is money, yes he has fumble idis, but can be worked out. Skelton is a third stringer at best. he is big guy and can loft a ball down field, but has no real accuracy. Beanie needs to play big boy football and quit being a highschool boy. His cry baby attitude is a insult for the men who play hurt. Due to all the fan preasure I think the Cards will go after a good future quarterback, and OC, and new DC. I think this rebuild time will take a two year process. The Cards will not see the post season for a couple of years. The Rams solidified that by drafting Sam Bradford. The 49ers are in purgatory with there quarterback situation. The Seahawks are going to need to rebuild also. The bottom line is you build your team around the quarterback and his capabilities. I think competition is good, but I think keeping it shaky all pre-season long hurts your team. Whiz made bad choices doing this, and should change his process. The Mcnabb thing is a bad choice. even though we have quality players all around the Cards. I think you draft for the future and develope the young man. The drama this year from the beginning, set this team up for failure. The Cards never had a chance. I listen to Kurts NFL pregame for Thursday night Football, Kurt talking about The Cards mindset that he would carry them every game. For all the fans that that wondered why he retired so quick. Good Luck to this organization, and I hope we succeed for a lombardy Trophy someday.

14. By Steve on Dec 17, 2010 | Reply

Darren: Do you see the Cards having interest in Mark Bulger if he wants to be a starter again? I still say we should go after Kolb if he fits Whisenhunts style of offense.

15. By john on Dec 17, 2010 | Reply

I can’t believe I am writing this but… What has to happen for the cards to win the west?
    I know win out , but either the Rams or Seahawks will have at least a 7-9 record since they play each other. The Seahawks swept us, so I would assume they would be in. The Rams have a 2-2 division record, so beating the hawks would give them a better division record. So, I guess the hawks and rams must end with a 6-9-1 record?

So, is there anyway the cards could still win the division, short of a rams/seahawk tie?
    I can hear Jim Mora saying, “Playoffs?, Playoffs ? “

16. By georgiebird on Dec 17, 2010 | Reply

Hope that Whiz and Graves can start making better personnel decisions and the McNabb situation presents an interesting conundrum for the Cards:
    1) Is the great Shananhan right and McNabb is finished?
    2) Does the lousy NFC West present an opportunity even for McNabb to win a division next year?
    3) Are Whiz and Graves shell-shocked from the QB decisions this year and afraid to gamble on McNabb?
    4) Will the Redskins set the trap for the desperate Cardinals and force the Cards to overpay for McNabb?
    5) Does the John Skelton experiment get put on hold while a veteran QB tries to regain his prior skills?
    6) Do the Cards draft a QB in the 1st round and forget McNabb?
    7) Do the Cards draft and QB in the 1st round and get McNabb so that the position is fortified (fool-proof) for next year?
    8) Do the Cards go with Skelton (just add a veteran QB) and draft/FA mostly all for the defense to try and make it a playoff caliber unit?
    While all interesting choices, I might go with #8 because the Card defense is so poor against the better QBs.

17. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Dec 17, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I was meaning to ask this awhile ago, but for some reason I never asked it. I have seen it happen with other players around the league a few times, and I was wondering out of my own hopes, would there be a possibility that sometime in the somewhat near future that Boldin could return to the Cards? And if there was a chance do you think Arizona would be interested in him if he kept his game up and played the good football he gave us all those years? Like how we traded Bryant McFadden to Pitt this offseason? I think it would be amazing to see Boldin return to Arizona some time in the next few seasons

18. By Ricky on Dec 17, 2010 | Reply

Darren:
    In response to all those who say Max Hall is all washed up and to small to play QB in the NFL my thoughts turn to Doug Flutie.

When he was with the Buffalo Bills his total passing yards were:
    1998 – 2711
    1999 – 3171
    2000 – 1700

In 2001 he was with the Chargers and passed for 3464 yards.

Total career passing yards = 14,715.
    Career interceptions were 68 over a 12 year span.

And here’s the kicker his height = 5′ 10″, weight 180.

Enough said……..

19. By brandon on Dec 18, 2010 | Reply

im glad to hear that you dont think mcnbb will come cause i dont think he would be a good fit i also think his past his prime

20. By Ken cadena on Dec 18, 2010 | Reply

Does Pete Alosi support his brother, maybe we can hire his brother to cheat over here. That makes me sick, cheater Rex Ryan deserves to be kicked out. Way to much cheating going on.

21. By Jeff Gollin on Dec 18, 2010 | Reply

McNabb’s situation is intriguing, because you get the feeling the public isn’t being given the complete story.

Based on (a) McNabb’s body of work, (b) Cardinals’ need for veteran leadership at the position and (c) his residency in AZ, the least you could say is: “Bring him in/it couldn’t hurt.

But obviously, you’d want to know more about (1) McNabb’s relationship to Shanahan, (2) whether its part of Shanahan’s MO to throw top players under the proverbial bus, (3) the Cardio-vascular issue – is Donovan really that out of shape or is it just political game playing by Shanahan? (Or are there hidden injury issues)?, (4) why a team, who apparently thought so highly of McNabb that they traded for him, is sitting him and (5) whether the term “benched him” was Shanahan’s terminology or an attempt by the media to sensationalize the story.

Finally, all I know is that I cannot get rid of the memory of Donovan McNabb singlehandedly beating us while playing on one leg.

As I see it, the key to all this figures to be the role expected of him by the Cardinals (including the impact in the lockerroom), given their assessment of what he’s got left, physically, mentally and emotionally and whether it’s worth the money and a spot on the roster.

All considered, I can see how McNabb might help us and hope he’ll become a Cardinal.

22. By TBru on Dec 18, 2010 | Reply

I hope it doesn’t happen, but a hundred bucks says Doucet would be more effective than Anderson has been this season.

I thought getting benched for Brady Quinn was bad, but Rex Grossman? And people still want him here?

Go Cards and the undefeated John Skelton!

23. By Nicholas B on Dec 18, 2010 | Reply

I read your take on McNabb, correct me if I’m wrong here, but didn’t two teams give up on Kurt Warner before he came to Arizona? The St. Louis Rams, and the New York Giants? He was considered “done” when AZ signed him. Dennis Green signed him to a 3 year deal, which was just blasted by the national media. -Nick

24. By cardsfan007 on Dec 18, 2010 | Reply

Easy Win!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go CARDINALS!!!!!!!!!!! #1

25. By Rugbymuffin on Dec 18, 2010 | Reply

“So everyone – again – wants to see him in Arizona.”

Speak for yourself Darren Urban.

I do not want McNabb in AZ. McNabb has the same problems as Derek Anderson, it is just not at the same “awe-inspiring” level as Anderson.

McNabb would not be good in this system.

If we are looking for a vet QB, I will take Carson Palmer, or Ryan Fitzpatrick, or Marc Bulger (worse case on Marc “Glass” Bulger).

But, a big no on McNabb. Too much money for not enough skill.

26. By Darren Urban on Dec 18, 2010 | Reply

Lone —

RE: Warner as coach

For the four-millionth time, Warner has no interest in coaching. He doesn’t want to spend that kind of time on one job.

27. By Darren Urban on Dec 18, 2010 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Bulger

I think yes, the Cards will look at Bulger. I’d also say that Bulger hasn’t played effective football in a long time and that everyone should temper the thought he’d suddenly come here and be good. I think that’s a big if.

28. By Darren Urban on Dec 18, 2010 | Reply

Rodgercromartie —

RE: Boldin

I think there is way too much water under that bridge. Someday, I would hope they could come together in terms of honoring Q post-career, but no, I don’t see him ever playing here again.

29. By Darren Urban on Dec 18, 2010 | Reply

Jeff —

RE: McNabb’s one leg

You do know that memory is a decade old, right?

30. By Darren Urban on Dec 18, 2010 | Reply

Nicholas B —

RE: Warner v McNabb

Couple points:

1) The Cards signed Warner to a one-year contract at first, then signed him to a new three-year deal after he played 2005 (and as a side note, I always think it’s interesting that “Dennis Green” signed and drafted all these players when he was here when Rod Graves was basically in the same job he’s in now).

2) There was no “blasting” from the national media on either of the Warner signings. If anything, it didn’t mean much.

3) You are right, many thought Warner was done. This very franchise did, and Warner was playing like it at the beginning of 2006, which is why he was benched for Leinart. The Giants dumped Warner, and I talked to then-Giants GM Ernie Accorsi about this, because Eli Manning was the future and the Giants told Warner when he signed after Eli was drafted that they would let him go after the year and not force him to be a backup. Much, much different scenario with McNabb and the Redskins, who have NOBODY in waiting and still want to dump McNabb.

31. By Scott H on Dec 18, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

RE: Warner / McNabb

All very well said. Shoot, I was outraged when the Cardinals signed Warner because he looked so bad with the Giants. BTW, if I’m not mistaken, I think the last game Warner started for the Giants was actually against the Cardinals in Arizona. Our defense throttled him that day, he turned the ball over several times, and the Cards won the game. THEN, we turn around and sign him??? I was NOT happy at all. But it was such a pleasure to see him resurrect his game and his career during the last few years here. Such a great story because his comeback seemed so unlikely…about as unlikely as the Cardinals going to a Super Bowl.

Darren – can you look into the archives and see if I am correct about the Giants-Cardinals game I referenced above? Was that Warner’s last start as a Giant?

Regarding McNabb, everyone just needs to get a grip on reality – the Redskins are just thoroughly disappointed with how he’s played and they are done with him. And not just done with him this year – they are DONE with him, period. They have already told him they can’t guarantee him he will be back next year. Translation – there ain’t no friggin’ way he’ll be back next year.

32. By Paul on Dec 18, 2010 | Reply

I stand corrected. I always thought it was Denny Green that waived Pete Kendal days before the season started. I guess it was Rod graves that made that decision.

33. By Darren Urban on Dec 18, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Warner and the Giants

That loss to the Cards was his final NY start. Six sacks (four by Bertrand).

34. By D.Burban on Dec 18, 2010 | Reply

By brandon on Dec 18, 2010 | Reply

LOL

We have 3 guys that have never had a prime!

Nice choices Whis. lol

35. By D.Burban on Dec 18, 2010 | Reply

Are you serious? Philly had 3 guys that would all be starting for the Cards, in fact any of them would be stars here. Too much dinero for Philly, somebody had to go that had nothing to do with talent. Washington has little talent and a good quarterback; the Cards have a lot of talent and no quarterback. The Cards will not go after McNabb because Whisenhunt has the vision of a blind man, which is why he picked up Derrick Anderson and made him a starter, nice vision.

36. By Darren Urban on Dec 18, 2010 | Reply

D. Burban —

RE: McNabb

Yep. You are right. Spot-on analysis. McNabb is such a good quarterback he is being benched. Because teams do that all the time.

37. By Peter in Canada on Dec 18, 2010 | Reply

With our non-productive quarterback situation I don’t think we can cavalierly dismiss anyone. If Bradshaw or Marino want to make a comeback we should give them sober consideration

38. By Scott H on Dec 18, 2010 | Reply

RE – D. Burban’s idiotic remarks

Get ‘em, Darren! You da man! We will not tolerate anyone using a variation of your name on this site….especially anyone who is pro- McNabb! Yet another fool who somehow thinks he knows more than the TWO NFL franchises who have dumped this guy in less than a year. Un-friggin-believable!

39. By TucsonTim on Dec 18, 2010 | Reply

The idea that the Cards are better off with Anderson than McNabb would be laughable if it weren’t true…about 7 million big ones right to the bottom line. Good job Mr Graves and Mr. Bidwill. Way to uphold that promise you made in 2006 that you would use the 150+ million you got from University of Phoenix to go out and get free agents and make the Cardinals competetive.

40. By Ken Cadena on Dec 18, 2010 | Reply

I tell you what, I think Mcnabb is not a bad Mentor and Tutor for a newly drafted quarterback next year. Mcnabb will give you atleast 10 wins with a New DC wich we should get. Mcnabb is a class act, and will be a asset to the organization. Bulger would be a mistake, but he is the cheap fix. We need to launch Anderson and little man disease Hall to the canadian league where they can flourish as 3rd stringers there. We also need another Bolden lookalike. He is very missed. One more LB and CB would help. Oh Yhea we need a (OC that can call plays). Its ammazing the money Dan Snyder throws away compared to the cheap skates we have in this organization. I believe Rod Graves and Whiz have a Cardinal life expectancy of about 2 more seasons. Oh Yhea guess what Mr Big Wheel. If you get us to the SB you will get a return on your investment.

41. By James on Dec 18, 2010 | Reply

Darren

Do you think that pursuing McNabb could influence Larry Fitzgerald to sign a contract extension?

42. By James on Dec 18, 2010 | Reply

Darren

Thanks again darren for all your hard work!

Thanks,
    James

43. By Ken Cadena on Dec 18, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren check out the KW show and watch the intro clip and see DAs reaction. he hates this team.

44. By Nick Pepe on Dec 18, 2010 | Reply

enough with McNabb, Overrated and washed up is not a good combination.

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

45. By VAS on Dec 18, 2010 | Reply

I think the cardinals should stay with John Skelton for the rest of the year,just to see what he’s got.To me he looks like a qb with a great future.We dont need Donavan Mcnabb.Maybe a veteran like Marc Bulger as a back up,but to draft Skelton and then draft another qb in 2011 to me makes no sense,we need offensive line and defensive help. GO CARDS

46. By darrel on Dec 18, 2010 | Reply

Hey super fan tell me how many playoffs games plamer won and also tell me cason palmer doest have better wr then mcnabb does but yet you want plamer lol wow stupid suggestion lol

47. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

If the Cards have no interest in Mcnibbles, then what are the Cardinals going to do at QB? Sign another cut QB and sign a few more rookies? What is the team going to do for a QB if they dont wanna sign anybody decent, who in the right mind would look into Bulger? he was cut by the 1-15 rams last season, and we already got scrub Anderson who got canned by the Browns as well. Whats going to happen?

48. By darrel on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Everyone sayin no to mcnabb I underdstand that but looks who else is out there like really. Let’s take a look…..

Carson palmer- has one of best wr corps and still sux can’t stay healthy not a leader

Vince young- can win games but character issues has nevr even been to playoffs. So who know if can even get us there. Doesn’t have the biggest arm either ill pass on him too

Ryan fitzpatrick- umm one good season doest mean ur good a qb. Lol look at DA my point. Ill pass

Peyton manning- nevr would leave indy

Troy smith- you’ll pass on vick in 08 but pick up A knock off in. Vick 2011 ya right nothing but a decent back up

Matt leinart- hahaha enough said

Marc bulger- he wass a good qb he’s accurate but weak arm … I really queston how much desire he has to play football or just get another game check and really take a guy who u won’t even see play this year so who can even judge his talent and say he’s a good Fit

Kevin kolb – he has a lot potentail but are u really trading ur 1st round or. A 1 and 2 for him when hasn’t shown he can lead a team

Mcnabb- big arm good deep ball maybe past his prime. But he’s still mobile enough to extend plays. Good leader. Good mentor. And wins games. He much more arrcurat the derek ever was …and you tell me what #1 wr he plays with right now

Well there not much out there as u can see and out all qbs mcnabb has best resume I think unless there suthim else Then tell me why not… we want 2 win right now not in 3years from now. So is why pickin up mcnabb a bad thing plz explain somone…… pick up mcabb. Draft qb newton or mallet maybe locker. I could careless and devlop. Skelton and ur 1sr round pick and let them battle for the back up role in 2011. Cmon that’s makes the most sense. The any other senario. If some one comes up with somthing better ill differ on mcnabb

49. By jzoully on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

I had the greatest idea, and I know that he would be considered for a head coaching job instead, but what if the Cardinals brought in the offensive mind of Josh McDaniels?

50. By Darren Urban on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

TucsonTim —

RE: Promises

Because after the new stadium, this team is never allowed to have a bad season again.

51. By Darren Urban on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

James —

RE: Fitz/McNabb

I think the QB situation in general is going to impact Fitz.

52. By Darren Urban on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Rodgerscromartie —

RE: QB

Well, that’s the $64,000 question, isn’t it?

53. By Darren Urban on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

jzoully —

RE: McDaniels

I doubt it. There is no history between Whisenhunt and McDaniels.

54. By McNabb in AZ on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Regarding Chris B’ entry on 12/17, I read the NFL network article you referenced and will quote a few of the important comments.

“A lack of competent offensive linemen, a solid rushing attack or sufficient offensive weapons would make any passer struggle.”

“Players told me they feel like McNabb is a scapegoat for some of the shortcomings of young offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan (Mike’s son). Moreover, Kyle’s stock is being questioned within the organization and beyond, according to team and league sources.”

“Two NFL coaches I contacted said they also believe the coaching staff has been too regimented with McNabb and not adapted its offense to match the potential Hall of Famer’s skills.”

“One longtime NFL executive said: “It’s all about the system there, but the system isn’t working. How do you make the decision to trade two picks for McNabb, then give him an extension and then bench him? What’s the plan there?””

An NFL exec, two coaches and Philly “players” indicate the benching McNabb for Grossman is a “gross” error.

If McNabb came to AZ, Whiz would need an OC (we all want that) that would work to D-Mac’s strengths, like Haley did with Warner.

Bottom line – McNabb, worst case would be a stopgap QB until Skelton or another QB is ready to take over. How many conference championship games did he lead the Eagles to – 5? Cards fans would definitely love that here.

55. By TucsonTim on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

Are you kidding me? Who are the big name free agents the Bidwills spent money on and brought to AZ after moving into Univ of PHX stadium. McFadden? Porter? Anderson? Faneca? Signed FA Warner after he got on a private jet and flew to San Fran. Couldn’t keep Pace, Dansby or Rolle (not FA I know but just as bad) and traded the heart of the franchise, Boldin, after he called them out as liars.

Only one bad season after the move. Get real. This is a franchise in total free fall in the worst division in the history of the NFL. No QB, no OC, no DC (except for the one who makes Clausen look like a seasoned vetern NFL QB with his first 100 pt QB rating), no O-line, no RB, no LB’s and a much beloved safety who gave up Clausen’s only TD pass of the season equals NO HOPE.

56. By Eazy E on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

McNABB TO ZONA!!!

57. By Darren Urban on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

Tucson —

RE: Payment

Now you not only want winners, they have to buy the biggest name players.

Look it up. I won’t deny the payroll went way down this year. But the last three years — when the Cards were mostly successful, which I assumed was your point — they were also up against the salary cap/up in payroll every year. Spare me the whining about Warner’s trip to SF. He was never going there, and for everything Kurt wanted, he STILL walked away from all that money.

Make you a deal, I’ll refrain from responding to you anymore. You want to vent, and I will let you.