The day after, Porter hurting

Posted by Darren Urban on December 20, 2010 – 11:38 am

Coach Ken Whisenhunt opens his Monday press conference touching on injuries, even though there is usually not a whole lot of new information on the guys we had already heard about Sunday — in this case, wide receiver Early Doucet (hip, but not related to the surgery he had earlier this season) and running back LaRod Stephens-Howling (hamstring, the same one that was bothering him). Stephens-Howling’s injury probably isn’t serious.

But Whisenhunt also mentioned a triceps injury for linebacker Joey Porter, and it seems that usually, when Whisenhunt brings up a new injury (Porter’s injury wasn’t reported yesterday) it tends to skew serious. Whisenhunt said it could be, although he didn’t know yet since Porter is waiting to get an MRI. At this point, I guess it wouldn’t be shocking to see Porter be out the final two games. We will see.

– Quarterback John Skelton remains the starting quarterback, but at this point, that’s definitely not a surprise. Whisenhunt noted Skelton struggled yesterday, but that wasn’t a surprise for a rookie on the road for the first time. The Cards still don’t know about Derek Anderson this week anyway.

– Not that he discounted Tim Hightower’s fumble, but when I asked about if there was anything else to say, Whisenhunt said “That was a tough play. He was scrambling to get something and it was a big hit … it wasn’t a strip, the helmet hit the ball and it came out and fortunately Steve (Breaston) was there to pick it up. There wasn’t much you could say about it.”

Tags: , , , , ,

54 Responses to “The day after, Porter hurting”

1. By Don't Take Losses on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

Fair comments on Hightower fumble re whom I’m not enamored. Wells Hightower and Doucet drops (passes and fumbles) have hurt.

2. By HBIC on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

I do not think Skelton did terrible yesterday except for his interception. He threw the ball with accuracy most of the game and if our receivers did their job and caught the balls I think the outcome would have “maybe” been different. Our defense struggled, big time!! They could not stop the run even though they knew the Panthers were running. What was Davis thinking??? When is a change going to be made? How many times are you going to excuse Davis’s defense play calling?

3. By chris freeman on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

the question in the upcoming offseason is if doucet will remain after 3 injury plagued seasons

4. By Paul on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

I have been AZ Cardinals fan since day one. Threw away my Cowboy stuff in Feb. 1988. I’m getting a creepy feeling this year that reminds me of the Card teams of the 90’s. The team wins a game(Denver last week) and they pat themselves on the back and sound like they have righted the ship all week on radio and TV. Then something happens, the next weeks game kicks off. They proceed to sleep walk through the game and lose in lackluster style. You can hear the sounds of TV’s clicking off all over town. Knew it right away. Panthers first play they pop off a 35 yard run over tackle. Our new linebacker runs up the back of his own lineman and doesn’t fill the gap that a truck could drive through. Our veteran linebacker was on sidelines inactive. We have 3rd and short a couple of times in first half and throw long passes. On one 3rd and 4, we throw a 1 yard pass. We have all seen this before. Does anybody think this team will rise up against Dallas or SF the last two games. I haven’t been this negative in several years but I have seen this movie before. This team has issues all over the roster and coaching staff but we will be told that “we will not break the bank”. So much for much more revenue stream from the new stadium

5. By DAfan on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

DA never had a concussion. It’s just a way for the whole crew to save face. They don’t want DA stepping foot on that field ever again in a Cardinals uniform and this “injury” is a way for them to say so without admitting their wretched failure at talent evaluation. If pro personnel director McCreight isn’t fired after this season, I’ll be really disappointed. But, disappointment seems to be par for the course.

6. By Phoenixraven1 on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

Where in the world has Beanie gone? Totally absent this year…he hasn’t shown up at all…hopefully he matures this off season… A LOT

7. By Kurt on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

Darren:

Stephen Williams has dropped off the map, what has happened?

8. By johnnybluenose on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

cowboys 35 cardinals 6. merry christmas dallas !! niners 34 cardinals 3. happy new year san francisco !! turn out the lights, the party’s over !!

9. By Darren Urban on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

Kurt —

RE: Stephen Williams

That’s what happens to a fifth receiver sometimes.

10. By MIKEFLORIO on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

GO CARDS!!!!! Lets make this season the best we can given the circumstances.

11. By Hightower fumbles on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

One of the thing that frustrates me about Whis is, he is quick to pull players, well mainly our running backs. There have been GREAT backs in the NFL that have had problems fumbling the ball. Yet still manage or managed to be GREAT running backs… Granted Tim’s ability to lose the ball at the most inopportune times is just as frustrating.

To me that seems to put out a fire in someone rather than tell that player you have confidence in their ability by leaving them in.

12. By Michael on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

I agree about Beanie he needs to step up! Big time!

13. By Elsos on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

I totally agree with you, Paul. And congrats on tossing all the Dallas stuff you could put your hands on. :)

14. By Michael on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

We need to draft a QB in the first rd, OLB 2nd rd, OL 3rd rd, OLB 4th rd, DB 5th rd, etc… We need to release Porter, DA, resign Timmie n sign another back! Ohh yeah get a new defensive coordinator!! And an OC to help whiz! IF not ill be terribly dissapointed!! Go CARDS beat the Cowgirls!

15. By Michael on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

Beat the Cowgirls!

16. By McNab's future on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

Beanie and ducet need to man up. They need to understand their role for thier team.
    This team stinks. Tired of this team. Depressive team. Since two weeks ago, I like to see any team to beat this team until the 2011 season begins. This might help the coaches and roster 53 to grow up and respect their job.

17. By georgiebird on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

All the great running backs have a talent for not getting big hits put on them. The real good ones know how to adjust to take a glancing blow. THT does not have this talent- instead, THT can turn a glancing blow into a head on collision.
    It’s a shame that THT doesn’t have the “feel” needed to be a great back- his other skills are top-notch.

18. By Rich on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

one hope for next year is a tight end who can get separation and catch and open up the field for other receivers and the run game. just watch the better teams…they all have multiple tight ends who can get open and catch…..who defenses have to plan for.

19. By georgiebird on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

If anyone has a problem with Beanie- how long would it take Belichick to turn Beanie into a 1,500 yard rusher. Beanie is a young kid- age wise, he should still be in college.
    For everyone out there, it’s the system not the player.

20. By Scott H on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

Porter just turned out to be a bad call. Based on how he was still playing last year, he looked like a good addition. I won’t fault the coaches for that. But…everyone hits the wall at some point, and it looks like Porter’s time has come. I do hope, however, that we can be done with old ex-Steelers going forward. That just ain’t working for this team. Whiz needs to learn the lesson taught to us in the past by Buddy Ryan – that bringing all of your ex-players here from another team after they’ve passed their primes doesn’t make THIS team better.

21. By Scott H on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

johhnybluenose –

I hear ya. After our performance on Monday Night Football a few weeks ago, the NFL Network must be cringing right now…but we may as well try to enjoy it. Because it’s gonna be awhile before the Cardinals are getting prime time games again.

22. By McNab's future on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

According to MJ, Wiz is not a play caller anymore. Thanks Good.

23. By joe67 on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

I don’t know if it will happen, but winning these last two games would sure ease a whole lot of pain.

Just wondering, season over, and Joey Porter, one of the biggest disappointments on the team, is now out with an injury (probable)hhmmmmm………. What in the world happened to him this year???????

24. By Phoenixraven1 on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

That dropped pass was pathetic, wide open, no one around. He looks like a total boob this year…he runs far to up right…which is fine if you break the hole…he hasn’t broke squat this year…

25. By Jesse Robles on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

Skelton has played more consistent than any of our QB’s, and at the rate of dropped passes, our WR’s too!! This is ugly, for our “Vets” on the OFFENSIVE side to not help the ROOKIE QB is PATHETIC, this team is PATHETIC. We lost the game in the trenches, on the Offensive and Defensive LIne, we were MAN Handled!! HAHA, I like seeing Skelton play good enough, and Whiz still tries blaming John, when Whiz’s play calling is absolutely ridiculous, horrible, and he really shouldn’t be doing it. How does Tim Hightower stay in for the 2 point conversion AND we tried running the ball to him after the fumble? WE have 3 other backs? What are you doing? Something needs to change with our OLine, we haven’t pushed anyone back all season, except for the Broncos in the Fourth last week, nothing to brag about. Skeltons Fumble shouldve been a better block by Bridges. Warner isn’t here to get the ball out in 2 seconds to make our OLine look good anymore. We need some work. Coach needs to talk about “HIS” mistakes, not Johns.

26. By Voice of Reason on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

Of course it wouldn’t be shocking to see Joey Porter out the last two games. Vets do this all the time when the playoffs are officially out. We Card fans know that all too well…

27. By darrel on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

Were going to loose out. So we could luck if not newton. And sign mcnabb to mentor our young qbs. And hold us over for 2 years when I see jonh scramble I think damn if. He could. Only run a lil bit faster so that’s why we need newton he could be wildcat qb for the first 2years while he lear sthe nfl game perfect fit for us plus I know fitz likes him a lot. Just sayin

28. By MikeG on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren–Tough game by the Card’s yesterday. I was disappointed that they could not stop the run especially when you knew Carolina would run the majority of plays. That has to be a primary focus for this team because if you can’t stop the run you can’t play defense. I really believe the Cards’s are more fit to play a 4-3 than a 3-4. I would like to see Campbell, Williams, Watson, and
    Dockett as our front four. Are you surprised Watson has been inactive as much as he’s been this year????? He was big for us last year!!!! We have to improve our run defense!!!!

29. By ross on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

Timmy > Beanie even with the fumbles.

Merry Christmas everyone who celebrates it. Happy holidays to the rest.

30. By cards62 on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

I do of course agree that we need to bring in at least 2 new QBs next year, but I thought Skelton had some good moments yesterday against a good defense. Carolina knew we had to throw and he threw a perfect long touch pass to Larry F. who was tackled by his face mask and picked us up 15 more yards.

The game was won by Carolins’s offensive line and running game and lost by our offensive line and running game. Clausen only had to throw 19 times because they could run the ball and we just could not seem to run the ball.

Hard to fault the play calling when we just can not run the ball. I got a lot of things right this year, but my biggest mistake was drinking the kool aid in the preseason about our OL and Tim and Beanie. I had these two going for over 2,500 yards this season from scrimmage. Missed it by tttttthhhhhaaaaaaattttttttt much! ha ha. Tim fumbles every game and now Beanie is just looking for a place to fall down when he sees no hole which is most of the time now.

Our team looked east coast sluggish to me again in the first half just like at times the last 2 seasons especially 2 years ago our Superbowl run.
    Anyone agree with me on this?

Cowboys offense is humming so Christmas night could be very interesting for our defense and Billy Davis .

31. By cheesebeef on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

ANOTHER pass is given to THT for a fumble? Good lord. It’s no wonder this team makes the same pathetic mistakes over and over again. there’s no accountability whatsoever.

32. By Darren Urban on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: Belichick

Just like Belichick turned No. 1 pick Lawrence Maroney into a 1,50 … oh, wait. He didn’t.

33. By Cardiaccard420 on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

2011 Wish List:

OC Coordinator
    QB
    OT, OT
    WR
    LB, LB
    CB

34. By georgiebird on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

I didn’t say that Belichick was God– but the last time I checked, Maroney was about 4th string with Denver. So maybe Bel got the most out of Laurence. Belichick will get the most out of a back- look what he’s done for Danny Woodhead.
    Darren, I realize that Brady opens up the defense and most guys will do better with New England. However, you have to wonder what’s going on in AZ. Is Beanie being taught to run properly? I wonder about player evaluation. Would hate to see Beanie become another Garrison Hearst or Thomas Jones.

35. By darrel on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

I’m mad I saw fitz walkin to. Eddies house resturuant in scottsdale. But I was driving to fast to stop him befor he walked in damn damn fml

36. By tRiGidY on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

With the 6th pick in the 2011 Draft The Arizona Cardinals Select AJ Green

37. By darrel on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

Darren do you think the cardinals will move breaston back to slot and pick a another wr next yr. And get.rid of doucet .. I think breaston. Could be one of the Best slot wr. But. We use him as. 2

38. By Darren Urban on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

Darrel —

RE: Breaston slot

Gotta make sure Breaston is back next year first.

39. By Dennis on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

What happened to Ben Patrick ? This guy looked good last year, now he rarely plays this year. Our tight ends don’t appear to be part of the passing game at all. Why not??

40. By Mike Ellingboe on Dec 21, 2010 | Reply

@georgiebird,

I don’t think you fully realize the difference a guy like Brady makes. Defensively, in terms of yards given up the Cards are #27 in the league, NE is #28. Offensively, in yards per carry we’re at 4.4 yards per rush and NE is at 4.3. I’m not seeing a lot of coaching superiority between Belichick and the rest of the league when it comes to defense and the run game. However, if we look at the passing ratings, NE is at 108.5 and we’re at 59.5. My point? Give us Brady and give NE DA and let’s see if they’re still sitting at 12-2 and if we’re calling Belichick a genius…

Unfortunately, a lot of the concerns surrounding Beanie when he got drafted are showing up (i.e. – injury prone, not a polished all-around back, etc.). Hopefully he can stay healthy next year but right now it’s looking like McCoy is the back everyone overlooked in that draft.

41. By Beezie on Dec 21, 2010 | Reply

draft ?
    do we really need to draft a QB in the first round if Skelton is doing a good enough job that we can see. I was wondering if we should get a WR like A.J Green from Georgia to help out the receiving core we don’t have anymore. There was a comment about FItz missing Boldin on the other side of him to take up some of the load to get him 1 on 1 situations. I see us either getting a QB in the later rounds. There is going to be alot of good talented QB’s in the off season with names like Mc Nabb, Bulger, Hasselbeck, Palmer if the bengals draft QB and if the Eagles don’t give Vick a good contract.
    What do you think…..

42. By ross on Dec 21, 2010 | Reply

Goergiebird,
    Not sure I understand what you mean. Great scatbacks like faulk, LT, barry did that.

The man is giving everything he has and I don’t think hed be the same player if he shied away from contact. I sure as heck wouldn’t like him as much. I hate when backs run out of bounds when they could hit someone.

43. By responder on Dec 21, 2010 | Reply

Darrel,

maybe the cards should find someone to throw the ball to any of the WR’s before we go looking to draft a WR

44. By Gary J on Dec 21, 2010 | Reply

I like the idea of seeing Schofield the last two games. If he does well maybe we will only need to bring in two linebackers next year instead of three. Hopefully Skelton starts throwing downfield more these last two games. Against Carolina he was dinkin and dunken way too much. I know that probably had to do with Whiz’s play calling, but Carolina’s defense had no fear of the long game and shut us down. That’s why I think its important to take some shots down field early to keep the defense honest.

Regardless of how Skelton does these last two games we still need to draft Andrew Luck. We will most likely draft in the top four picks now so we should be able to trade up and get Luck. We have to draft him. Give up all of our picks to get him if we have to. If we don’t get Luck we will be the same old Cardinals for at least the next decade. Luck will be our Peyton Manning. If this ownership is serious about winning they will do whatever it takes to get Andrew Luck.

45. By WNY Card Fan on Dec 21, 2010 | Reply

The team is BAD in so many aspects its not funny. Only bright spot really is Fitz’s records. Even that doesn’t make the season fun. DEF has been poor, Oline poor, etc. Who was our last GOOD running back (I mean consistent running, could rely on, etc)?? I’m not Mr. Memory on the cards though I’ve been a fan since 1975, so someone help me here. If its as long ago as I think it is (don’t say Edge, he didn’t do much at all) then do we have to start pointing fingers at coaching/ownership (as we’ve been doing all season)? I think Whiz is good coach, but play calling and player evalution seems awful. Where is our threat players on Def and Off?? We are worse team in the joke that is NFC West, I mean none of these teams should be in the playoffs. I predict they’ll lose out the last two games, not because they want to (afterall they are working hard and practicing hard just like they’ve done all season) but because they still have no idea how to play this season. They look like a high school team. The sad part is we have to watch/see resutls for 2 more weeks before this horrible season is over.
    Draft/FA – my picks go to QB, RB, Oline, Dline, LB. PLEASE SPEND SOME CASH and bring in some stinking talented, young-ish players to fortifide this team (hell how about some LEADERS while you are at it). Screw the old timers, the Pittsburgh cuts, etc. Go get the guys with proven records that still have gas in the tank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Then finally, get rid of Davis ASAP, hire someone who is talented (and yes, it will cost you some money) get a Off Coord with some talent (oh my, more money).
    What I want to hear next season, about the 3rd week of season is “holy S***, the cardinals are on fire, their off season changes have paid dividends in the win column, what a force to be recokened with”

46. By Darren Urban on Dec 21, 2010 | Reply

Dennis —

RE: Tight ends/Patrick

I think they are disappointed in Ben’s lack of progress. As for why they aren’t a bigger part of the passing game, the position never really has been since Whisenhunt arrived.

47. By Darren Urban on Dec 21, 2010 | Reply

Beezie —

RE: QB draft

I think until you know for sure you have a solid QB for the next few years, you don’t stop looking.

48. By Mike Ellingboe on Dec 21, 2010 | Reply

@GaryJ,

All our draft picks for Luck when it’s likely that Newton, Mallett, and possibly Gabbert will declare for the draft as well? Not to mention that all our picks will be early in each round. Are you going to the Mike Ditka school of drafting with that idea?

49. By georgiebird on Dec 21, 2010 | Reply

To Mike Ellingboe,
    If you can’t see the coaching superiority of Belichick over our team and the rest of the league- then I suggest that you should do something else with your Sunday afternoons.
    Your comments prove out the old adage “Statistics are for Losers”.

50. By georgiebird on Dec 21, 2010 | Reply

To Ross,

I don’t know how “scatbacks” got into the conversation.
    What I was saying was THT doesn’t seem to have the talent or “feel” to protect the ball- he seems have violent collisionsquite often.
    Yes, he’s trying but If a THT fumble cost the Cardinals a playoff game, you would look differently at his failure to hold on to the ball.
    At this time, THT is carrying the ball 5-10 times a game in meaningless games- Do you have confidence in THT to carry the ball 15-20 times a game in important games?- I Don’t.

51. By Mike Ellingboe on Dec 21, 2010 | Reply

@georgiebird,

You mean like the coaching superiority he displayed in Cleveland without a QB like Brady? Like the way he outcoached McCarthy the other night and his third-string QB? If he’s such a running guru why couldn’t he get more out of his first round RB?

Is leaving the annoying season numbers out of the argument easier to comprehend? He gets to ride the league’s best thoroughbred, you may have noticed we looked a bit better when we had one as well.

52. By Doc on Dec 21, 2010 | Reply

Joey Porter who? As I have said all season, Paris Lenon is by far the best backer on this roster. Why does he not get the deserved respect? I had the privilege of talking with him after the Carolina game. He is a Pro in every sense of the word. Class act and plays hard every down. 112 tackles and 5th in the NFC. Come on-if everyone had his work ethic, maybe we would have won the close ones and we’d be talking playoffs

53. By Old Man Riva on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

To show y’all how ancient I really am, when the Big Red hired Bud Wilkinson, the Oklahoma college legend as their coach he made a profound statement which has stuck in my mind after all these years (we won’t mention the fact he failed terribly as an NFL coach). He said a good head coach is only as good as the staff he assembles around him. Since Whiz doesn’t even have an OC or for that matter a DC, I suppose he is falling in the category of being less than great, or even good.
    And yes, I will be watching the game on Christmas Day although I can’t say how many minutes the tube will stay on. Hopefully the spirit of the holiday won’t be too dampened by what I watch. Maybe if I have enough “flavored” egg nog the pain will be tolerable. Merry Christmas to all you faithful fans.

2. Dec 20, 2010: Joey Porter / Porter has a triceps injury that coach Ken Whisenhunt says could be significant. | Sporty Twits