Doucet lands on IR

Posted by Darren Urban on December 22, 2010 – 9:58 am

The season of wide receiver Early Doucet is over, after the Cardinals put him on injured reserve Wednesday with his hip injury. It’s been a tough year for Doucet, who suffered two similar injuries (he needed surgery to repair a sports hernia) and again couldn’t seem to stay on the field. Andre Roberts will take his place, and there is no doubt Stephen Williams will reappear on the radar the last couple of games. Doucet had 26 catches for 291 yards this season, which were still career-highs for the third-year pro.

The Cardinals promoted linebacker Curtis Gatewood from the practice squad to the active roster (which makes sense given the questionable status of linebacker Joey Porter) and have signed linebacker Brandon Sharpe to the practice squad.

Tags: , , ,

23 Responses to “Doucet lands on IR”

1. By Nathan on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Thank-you for all you do to keep us fans up to date on the latest about the Cardinals. It’s been a tough year for the team, and given some of the blog comments, a tough year for you as well. Kind of a strange twist when reading about the team was more interesting at times than watching them play. Ah well, next year will be better!

Happy holidays and again, thanks.

2. By Cardsfan on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Well….that sucks, an already bad season just got worse, tough luck

3. By TILLMAN#1 on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

If he could just stay healthy he would probably be a great player, it just seems he gets hurt everytime he steps on the field.

4. By Roy on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

I echo Nathan’s sentiments. we may not always agree, but you do a darn good job putting up with our bitching. It is never personal. Thanks again Darren. Lets hope they correct and learn from their GLARING mistakes next year (even if they never publicly admit them)

Happy Holidays

5. By Phoenixraven1 on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Man he is injury plagued…tough season for him. After Boldins departure I really thought he would shine-man was I wrong. Think we all drank to much coolaid before this season!

6. By Nick Pepe on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren – I hope the holiday season brings much joy to you and yours….(and a win over our old NFC East rival Cowboys!!!) Thank you for keeping us informed throughout the season. As hard as it may have been at times, you stayed patient and professional. I am sure I speak for many in saying it was much appreciated.
    To all Cards fans: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Look at this way: 2011 can’t be much worse!!!! And love your pets, please!
    ACO Nick Pepe
    Delaware SPCA
    Lifetime Member

7. By Gang6230 on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Merry Christmas to all Cards fans and Darren and family. This years wish a win the last two games

8. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren, way out of subject, but do you remember earlier this year when the Cardinals DB’s were challenging each other to races? With Mike Adams and A.J. Jefferson? I was wondering if there was any footage of the actual race that only the team was able to film, im curious to see how DRC also smoked the competition!

9. By Big Red on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Nick for the message to all Cardinal Fans. I’ll make sure I E-Mail Michael Vick on the last one , thanks again. Your the man, Darren have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year and to your family. Go Cards just beat the girls!!!!!

10. By Jamham on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Doucet is not gonna be here next season urb? The guy is worthless. Please tell me he will be gone

11. By Lone-Eagle on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Ya know Darren,
    I sit here and laugh about this whole Doucet situation. He was injured most of last season and most of this season. I know full well this has nothing to do with you, but it is just funny that that was one of the prime reasons, other than contract negotiations that they let Q go. Doucet had two goood games last season, hence Boldins replacement. Yes the Cards saved alot of money this season yet let go of one of their best recievers of all time( now of course Fitz holds that record, but I’ll be willing to bet he would give it up in a heartbeat to have Q back. There is absolutely no one on the other side to compliment Fitz like Boldin did, and that includes Breaston. Yes the team has had pathetic QB play, but that still hasn’t stopped the double teaming on fitz all season long, and since no other reciever stepped up to be a goto guy, other teams have made it impossible for Fitz to have the same Pro Bowl year he has had in the past. I know it’s ancient news, but letting go of Boldin was the biggest mistake of the off-season. Many people may disagree with me, and that is fine, but most know it’s true. Anyway Darren, enough of my bitchin’ ! I hope you and yours have a very safe, happy, and blessed Merry Christmas, and I am sure like the rest of us are wishing for a Christmas miracle and beat the dreaded Cowboys. Merry Christmas Darren, look forward to bloggin after the game!!

12. By AndyStandsUp on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren is it true that when Doucet went to sign the IR papers he DROPPED the pen, then suffered a back injury bending over to pick it up?

13. By phxicon on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Darre, How is DA doing?

14. By Darren Urban on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

RodgersCromartie —

RE: Race

Sorry. Everyone was busy and those crazy guys just sprinted out to do it spur of the moment.

15. By Darren Urban on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Phxicon —

RE: Anderson

Back at practice today.

16. By VAS on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

To all Cardinal fans Merry Christmas,it’s been a long year but we will rebound for 2011.Great job Darren Urban I enjoyed reading all your blogs.Thank you.Enjoy the Holidays everybody.Good luck Cards on Christmas Day.

17. By Khardz on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Stephens Williams and Skelton seem like a good fit, I think there’s huge potential in Roberts and Williams, I’m looking forward in seeing them more these last two weeks.

18. By TucsonTim on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

You know Boldin was injured alot also…not quite the same is it

19. By Scott H on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Shame about Doucet…he may really be a very good receiver. But when are we ever going to know that if he can’t ever get on the field for more than two games in a row??? It’s been three years and we still don’t even know what he is because he plays so little. I’m about ready to turn the page on this guy. Let Roberts or Williams have the spot and let’s see what they can do.

20. By cards62 on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Early or Beanie take your pick but the story is the same.

I would give them both another season to prove themselves especially Beanie, but if a very good free agent WR or RB is available I hope we jump on them in the offseason.

Tucson TIm – are you kidding me? Compare Boldin first 3 seasons to Early’s or compare Boldin’s last 3 seasons to Early’s.

Boldin is a Cardinal. Very tough, very competitive, and a leader. We all know he is the biggest loss from last year besides KW of course.

Merry Christmas to all and a wonderful New Year to all

21. By joe67 on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

I disagree with lone eagle. Boldin not the biggest loss. He was unhappy and good to let him go. If we would have had better qb play, Breaston would have made most forget Boldin. He has not had that great of a year IMO. I hope Williams does well. He still could be a sleeper.

22. By responder on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

I want to clear the air about Boldin, I heard (from a reliable inside source) remember when Boldin signed is initial extension in 06? I think it was like 28 mil for 5 years or something like that… it was a steal! I don’t know if ya’ll remember but he was initially offered more by the Cardinals, but Boldin took less because he WANTED to be Cardinal, but he also wanted to WIN. He told them he’d take less money if they use it to sign some more talent for the team, his only stipulation was, he’d take less money to win now, but in 2 years when Fitz was due for a new contract (08) he wanted to go in and do thier contracts together. He LOVED playing with Fitz and wanted to play as a tandem for his entire career. Anyways, the Cardinals saved money with that contract, went out and signed Edgerin James (which made Boldin happy at the time) and then 2 years later they signed Larry to a HUGE contract and said “Sorry Boldin, you’re under contract for 3 more seasons, you need to honor your contract.” …Honor your contract?! Honor your word Cards front office! Why do you think that preaseason Boldin would say, “I love our fans, and I love my teammates, I just will not play for the people running this organization ever again.” And he did it, he left. The Cardinals couldn’t have kept him last year if they wanted to. They could have gave him the largest contract in the NFL and he would of walked. I have all the respect in the world for Boldin, cause that right there is a man of principals. Hard to find athletes like that these days. He is missed.

2. Dec 22, 2010: Cardinals WR Early Doucet Placed on IR | The Other 31