Porter not done, Anderson returns, a sellout

Posted by Darren Urban on December 22, 2010 – 2:11 pm

Turns out LB Joey Porter’s triceps injury is a strain and not a full tear as coach Ken Whisenhunt first feared. So Porter will rehab. He was out Wednesday and frankly, I will be surprised if he can make it back for Saturday, but the finale, perhaps. Whisenhunt said Porter already is feeling better, so who knows. LB O’Brien Schofield would get the chance to start in Porter’s place, an amazing turn of events considering where Schofield was earlier this season rehabbing from knee surgery. RB LaRod Stephens-Howling did pull a hamstring and sat Wednesday. Whisenhunt said he wasn’t sure The Hyphen will be back for Saturday either, but he’s not being ruled out.

Quarterback Derek Anderson was finally back on a limited basis, but Whisenhunt wouldn’t declare him the No. 2 before seeing how practice goes this week. Even if Anderson is healthy, I won’t be surprised if they keep Rich Bartel as the No. 2, so if a change has to be made, they can take a look at Bartel.

The game Saturday, by the way, is officially a sellout. It will be televised on NFL Network and, locally, also over the air on KUTP MY45/Ch. 9.

Finally — and I will flesh this out in my notes on the homepage in a bit — QB John Skelton won Valley fans over quickly by declaring that, even though he is from Texas, he has always rooted against the Cowboys. Maybe he was born to be a Cardinal.

Tags: , , , , , ,

69 Responses to “Porter not done, Anderson returns, a sellout”

1. By DAfan on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

DA should be the starter if healthy. He’s clearly one of the better QBs in the NFL. They shouldn’t hold his past against him.

2. By Brandon on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

@DAfan LOL LOL LOL Are you kidding me your soooooooooooo high right now bud DA is possibly the WORST quarterback in the NFL ryan leaf is better then him

3. By hahaha on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

You’re a funny guy, DAfan.

4. By Nikolicardsfan on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Hey, Darren
    Just saw that Ben Greaham was the top fan vote for punters. Are you going to have a story about this? Thanks for all the work you do to keep us out of town fans informed.

5. By Cardiaccard420 on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Da Is a joke. Wake up! He is the worst tin the NFL.

6. By Brian H on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Drug screening should be required before you can post.

DA is done, unless whiz wishes to drive most the fans into a rage.

7. By RichardI on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

DA should start?? Have you seen DA play?? I’ve been a DA supporter for most the season, but for someone who has played in the NFL for 5 years he’s simply just not good enough to be a #1 QB… He’s got a great arm but he’d miss the broad-side of a barn if he tried throwing to it…

8. By zach on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

You are clearly an idiot to think da is one of the best qb in nfl

9. By Dave on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Wow. I want what he’s on

10. By Darren Urban on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Nikoli –

RE: Graham

Quoted Ben about it last week. It doesn’t necessarily mean he’s going to the Pro Bowl. He was the leading fan vote getter last year too and didn’t make it.

11. By SandyAJ on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

I think that the quarterback choice should be between skelton and hall, anderson had his shot, time to give the other qbs some reps to see who’s better to keep

12. By Tod on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

@DAFan

That’s gotta be sarcasm … right?

13. By zach on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

DA fan choke yourself….and stop smoking rocks

14. By darrel on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Mike jureki is reporting. That the cardinals are looking at a lot fim of cam newton

15. By darrel on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Lol and gambo is sayin trade fitz. To new england. For picks lol wow worst idea. You don’t the face of the franchise. you trade brady ,peyton, troy P, fitzgerald , andre jonhson , adrian peterson .patrick willis , you just don’t trade your best player gambo is an idiot along with anyone else who agrees with that idea

16. By Darren Urban on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Darrel –

RE: Newton

Cardinals are going to be looking at a lot of film of everyone who plays QB.

17. By Khardz on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

I’d like to see Bartel take a couple of snaps before the season is over, just to see where he is. Not really a rookie nor a veteran, as long as he’s as good as Anderson I’d be happy to have him as a 3rd or 2nd string next year.

18. By Tod on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

@Darrel

Who still uses film?

And, yeah, I can believe the Cardinals would be looking at film. Maybe that is why they seem so unprepared for virtually every game.

19. By Rugbymuffin on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren -

Thanks for throwing me and other a bone ! :tailwagging:

“QB John Skelton won Valley fans over quickly by declaring that, even though he is from Texas, he has always rooted against the Cowboys. Maybe he was born to be a Cardinal.”

Awesome. Thank you Darren for making many fans like myself feel a little better about Saturday.

As always Happy Holidays to you and whole Cardinals family.

…..gotta say how awesome that blurb is one more time!

20. By DAfan on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Yes. It was a joke. I don’t know anyone who would actually admit to being a DA fan, let alone make a serious post proclaiming him one of the more talented QBs in the NFL. Settle down.

I was referencing the quotes from Whiz in the past when he claimed that they weren’t paying any attention to his past, only what he’s done here. Mind you, they were judging a player with 4 years of starting experience in the NFL not by what he did on the field in those games, but rather after only a few weeks of practice reps. Interesting.

21. By TARL SAMPSON on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

COWGIRLS ARE GOING DOWN!!!! Cards got this game in the bag, we can beat those panty wearers with our little pinkey!! Docketts going to have a good day, I can feel it like rays of sunshine.

22. By Reece on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

What about Kevin Kolb?! Vick’s not going anywhere soon and when is the next time Kolb is going to get a game except pre-season? Or if the chaos in Washington continues could McNabb of all people be up for snaps?!

23. By ross on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren, enjoyed reading the piece about Dockett and some teammates doing their part to bring christmas to those that couldn’t have much of one otherwise.

These are good guys, regardless of their win loss record.

Have a good holiday Darren!

24. By Darren Urban on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Rugby –

RE: Skelton n Cowboys

Hey, I didn’t say it. He did.

25. By Phoenixraven1 on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Well couldn’t sell my tickets so guess I will be at the game!!!

26. By cowboysfan on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

This seemed to be a pretty classy blog until the comments of TARL SAMPSON.
    Lets see what comes out of his mouth after Saturday. Although this has not been the Cowboys year, they will destroy the hapless Cardinals.

27. By Nathan on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Having lived all over the country, I didn’t really have a favorite football team until I moved here 15 years ago – all I knew is that I hated the Cowboys. Since he feels the same way about them AND is from Texas, I now offically have a man-crush on Skelton. Go JS! Go Cards!

Darren, your article made me smile :)

28. By TucsonTim on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Finishing last in the worst division in the history of the NFL is so much worse than a winless season. O’…The horror! The horror!

29. By Michael on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

LOL!!!! DA fan whats up with that?? If you think DA should start your not very bright! LOL

30. By Michael on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

GO CARDINALS!!!!! COWGIRLS going down!!!

31. By Scott H on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Porter AND Anderson are two guys who just seem to be the face of this miserable season, and I don’t really care if they don’t play again this season or any other, for that matter. Porter was very good at one time but he’s done nothing for this team. Anderson can’t even say he was very good at one time! Neither player came anywhere close to replacing the guy that played here before them. Problem is, we all seemed to know that when they were signed and they’ve just been proving it every week over the course of a long, painful season. They are symbolic of the personnel moves that were made this past off-season, and we can only hope that the organization will have a different mind-set this coming off-season. Note to Whiz – no more old ex-Steelers and lets try to realize that if there are any QB’s out there who are getting no interest from anyone else, there’s probably a good reason for that.

32. By Nicholas B on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

SandyAJ: You know that Max Hall is on IR right? The only active QBs are now John Skelton, Rich Bartel, and Derek Anderson. -Nick

33. By darrel on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

I’m sayin what mike jureki said for anyone who said the cardinals. Said won’t be looking at newton I’m just sayin. I’m not sayin that’s the qb they want a Just report that’s out there. He also sad kevin kolb too soo. Much for your comment

34. By Joe-B on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

I didn’t know Anderson’s dad posted here…

35. By Bill on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

#

By darrel on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

@darrel … Wonder if they had to go through his father first to get the film.$$$

(Sarcasm added)

36. By TBru on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

wow, this blog has lost all it’s sense of humor the DA should start quote, had me falling out of my chair, I needed that.

I am excited to see O’Brien Schofield get more time, a couple years from now I think he will be considered draft score. Schofield, Williams, Washington, Toller I have seen the future, and it is good.

37. By darrel on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Lmao now this funny way lightn up we need a good laugh being cardinals fan.becuz I’m already over this Year. ……..

38. By darrel on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Hey darren obviously cardinals need a pass rush de/olb my ? Is. Who’s the odd man out porter or haggans if we lose both. We lose a lot a leadership @ that positon who do you think they keep

39. By KyCardsfan on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Thank god I dvr’d a few of my favorite games from last season(bears, Vikings, packers)…I’m watching us kill the bears, 31-7 at halftime now. Scored every drive so far, over 20 1st downs. Those were the days…lol. Man I wish we wouldve kept Dansby, he was a true leader. Why did we not keep him Darren? Was he money-hungry?

40. By McNab's future on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

What I need for my X-Mass gift is to ship beannieee and doucet for a first pick overall,QB. I know it seems too much for a one, rookie, player, but I don’t have any better expectation from Mr. “young” player, beanieee, and doucet.

41. By McNab's future on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

If it helps for the draft, I would like the cards to be defeated on the last two games. It is not a good strategy but to get the best QB it wouldn’t hurt. I know to have a loosing mentality is not good, but sometimes you loos to win.

42. By Darren Urban on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Darrel –

RE: Odd man out

Probably too early to tell, but I’d guess if it became Haggans or Porter, I’d guess Haggans would stay.

43. By Darren Urban on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

KyCards –

RE: Dansby

That’s a loaded question. He was money-hungry, but they all are. He wanted to see what he was worth on the open market. He passed up a couple of good contract extension offers from the Cards, and ultimately got a huge deal from the Dolphins.

44. By tyman on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren

I think it is very foolish for cards fans to jump on the John sketon ban wagon so quickly. Hes got a lot to prove, and lets see how the last two games go first.

45. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren, is it true that the Cardinals matched the Giants offer for Rolle at the last minute? If so, why didnt they just give him the 12 million he wanted in the first place if they were going to end matching twice the amount at the end?

46. By Eazy E on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Skelton better watch out for ware, ratliff and com.

47. By CardiacCard on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

JUSt Beat The Cowgirls and 49ers. The two teams i hate the most.

48. By TARL SAMPSON on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

No hard feelings cowboysfan, I am just like a little dog yapping away, oblivious to all except the smackdown of smacktalk… I have to for the cowboys game, its TRADITION!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

49. By CardiacCard on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Any word from the Bidwells if they are willing to fork out some extra cash for Fitz and for 2011 season and beyond.

50. By AndyStandsUp on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

With LaRuSH probably out wouldn’t it be nice to see Marshay Green or AJ Jefferson return kicks? The season isn’t getting any younger.

51. By Baba on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

Any chance there’s a Denny Green foot fetish video out there somewhere?

52. By eazy e on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

For saying he hates the boys

53. By Old Man Riva on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

As my continuing flow of optimism on the Big Red future increases in volume as the season nears a blessed closure, a few thoughts on some of the rookies and other young players. As I mentioned before, unlike the Rams and Lions who hit the dumpster full force, the Big Red have some very good/great veteran players but how about the young up and comers? Hyphen if he stays healthy is on the verge of becoming one of the best return men in the league. We will forgive DRC’s so so season and list him as one of the brighter spots in our defensive backfield. I have already talked about Calais Campbell and his nearness to becoming a real force on the DL. To the mix I’ll add our crew of young linebackers who seem to be getting some valuable experience in this otherwise dismal year. Where does all this leave us…we still have huge spots to fill. QB, RB and OL come to mind immediately. A reliable, healthy 3rd receiver and a top notch CB to bolster that position also. The team has failed badly in trying to build a decent OL in the past through the draft and I can’t remember when we drafted a RB who was great since Ottis Anderson (not counting Garrison Hearst’s exploits with the Whiners or Thomas Jones running wild with other teams). While I’m ranting…positively mind you, when did this team ever draft a franchise QB? Jake Plummer? Neal Lomax? Jim Hart? Matt Leinart??? Maybe we should try and get a great RB with our draft position or perhaps a CB and go out and sign a veteran QB. I better go before I fill up several pages. Merry Christmas!

54. By brazilian fan on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

darren, with Doucet out, will there be a chance we’ll see max komar active for the last couple games? and perhaps take a few snaps?

55. By Steven on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

Read this on CBSSports.com. It’s an interesting interview with Kurt Warner: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14475471/qa-kurt-warner

56. By Robert on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Would you prefer the pro bowl players be voted in by stats than popularity? Seems like alot of guys go to the bowl and they dont even deserve it.
    Example is 2009 Ben Graham should of been there. Instead Jeff feagles goes whos stats werent even close to Bens.

57. By Rugbymuffin on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

“Hey, I didn’t say it. He did.”

Of course, our news team must be fair and balanced. Just nice to see our QB isn’t, and for all the right reasons. :)

You still printed it for us though, but it is understood you are just the messenger. A good one at that, BTW.

Have a good one !

58. By Darren Urban on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

Rodgerscromartie –

RE: Rolle offer

I don’t know if they exactly matched it. And I didn’t think they thought some team would make Rolle the highest-paid safety in the NFL. I know I certainly didn’t think he should be.

That said, I think the Cards ended up fine with Rhodes.

59. By Darren Urban on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

Brazilian –

RE: Komar

I would think Max will be active, yes. Whether he plays much, I don’t know.

60. By Darren Urban on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

Robert –

RE: Pro Bowl

Actually, it was the Niners punter that went last year, Andy Lee. Not Feagles.

I think football all-star choices are difficult to make, and I think it is tough for anyone to do it right. Stats should play a role, but shouldn’t be the only factor.

61. By xevinx on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

I’m pretty bummed Feely didn’t make the top spots in the Pro Bowl fan votes. Darren, is it still possible or common for a player to make the Pro Bowl who was not voted in by fans, but by players and coaches?

62. By Darren Urban on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

Xevinx –

RE: Pro Bowl

Yes. Ask Ben Graham.

63. By Big Red on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

Sandy AJ, I agree with SKELTON, but Hall should be send to dallas to play with romo, they make a great team. (both losers). Skelton is going to be a star in this league.

64. By Mike V on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

@Darren… Your the man, thnx for all the updates and for being there to actually be an active insider for the fans!!!

As for Skelton and being a Cowboys hater, GOOO SKELTON!!! I have been waiting since the preseason game I went to, and got a chance to see him play… I agree with coach whiz, he does need some stuff to work on, and I don’t knock him for not playing Skelton since the beginning. I see what he was talking about, judging from the last 2 games Skelton played. Its kinda like… he didn’t want to prematurely “blow his load” because we all know how that goes lol. But being forced out there under the unfortunate circumstances of Hall and Anderson, He didn’t do bad at all and by all means earned his place as starter. Like I said he has stuff to work on, but I see way more potential in Skelton than I did in Anderson or Hall in any of the games they played… Skelton I believe by next year will bring us very far with some work and development in the between. Now if we can pick up some extra pro’s to help us out i wouldn’t mind that either but keep Skelton!! Not sure if the players actually read our posts, but @Anderson and Hall… No offense guys but i don’t think you two are it. Darren thanks again for doing what you do. As a Service Member in the Military, I salute you my friend! I will be posting on here in the future! thanks!!!

65. By shannonrobinson on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

Tarl,
    As a Division I Women’s Rugby coach, I find your note objectionable. ‘Hit like a girl’ means something different to me – this last semester we had a game winning twenty minute goalline stand, no time outs, no substitutions. One girl broke her nose and still lead the defense.
    John Skelton is a joyful gift for the holidays. Looking for some big hits from our rookie LB’s. Run Beanie, Run.

66. By Respectful_Fan on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

Guys:

Yes, DA had a bad season. But, he is a good QB, a nice man, and has a good family. Let us not trash him at a personal level. I hope he has a great comeback next year in another organization. Or, who knows, he could be a backup next year. Maybe, things will change.

67. By Respectful_Fan on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

Guys:

Darren once told me that he does not see Mcnab here. I don’t recall why he said that. Is it the offense, Darren?

68. By Darren Urban on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

Respectful –

RE: McNabb

It’s a lot of things, not the least of which that he has washed out now with two teams in a year.

69. By TARL SAMPSON on Dec 25, 2010 | Reply

shannonrobinson…. Forgive the offense, but I didnt say anything negative about women, at all…. Just playing the cowboys name differently. ANY cardinals fan has heard the spin of the name , its pretty common. But once again, sorry for what its worth….