‘Twas the Friday before the Cowboys

Posted by Darren Urban on December 24, 2010 – 4:34 pm

’Twas the day before Christmas, and all through the complex,

Not a creature was stirring, errr, except for Larry Fitz;

OK, there were others, the whole team in fact,

Prepping to play the Cowboys, win some pride back;

With Porter maybe on the shelf and The Hyphen banged up,

Roberts must kick return, Schofield hoping to erupt;

Skelton the Cowboy-hater gets start No. 3,

A first touchdown pass would provide needed glee;

(Attempting to rhyme lines here isn’t an easy chore,

Not when trying to be newsy and not be a bore)

There will be no Romo, no playoffs on the line,

It’s still about winning plus getting young guys time;

We’re waiting to see what the offense will bring,

Maybe Hightower? More Beanie? Breaston on the wing?

Slowing Felix Jones on the ground a defensive key,

At the same time, can’t allow Witten to run free;

The stadium roof will be open this time,

Closing the season in temperatures just fine;

Frankly, on Christmas Eve, I need to cut this short,

Family is waiting, that’s of more import;

I’ll have more later when NFL Net puts on a show,

A battle between Cardinals and Cowboys to follow;

Hopefully hearing Dockett shout as he finishes the fight,

“Merry Christmas to all, damn it was a good night!”

– I hope everyone has a good holiday (and so do the Cards).

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

27 Responses to “‘Twas the Friday before the Cowboys”

1. By David Parra on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

Good stuff Darren. Merry Christmas.

2. By Jake Liggett on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

Damn Darren, you should start writing verses for rappers :D Merry Christmas!

3. By Michael Hammonds on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

THAT WAS THE BEST CHRISTMAS POEM EVER!

4. By Scott H on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

Very nice, Darren! While a win would be nice, let’s just hope we aren’t a total and utter embarassment on national TV like we were against the 49ers just a few weeks ago…I’m looking forward to being able to see Skelton play. Darren, if I have my history correct, didn’t the Cards & Cowboys play on a Christmas night back in the 90’s when Buddy Ryan was still here? Not sure if it was on X-Mas day or not but I remember the game…Emmit Smith had his usual big day against the Cardinals and the Cowboys got their usual win against us.

PS – I’m admitting that I submitted this post without reading your most recent blogs. So, if you already answered this question, never mind.

5. By trent on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

lets beat those cowgirls

6. By Grant on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

Merry Christmas Darren. Thank you for keeping everyone up to date on the cards. You do a great job. Go Cardinals and beat the Cowboys!

7. By Darren Urban on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Cards on Xmas

Yes, you are right. Monday night, 1995. Cowboys roll, Cameras filming on field and in the press box for “Jerry Maguire” and Buddy Ryan runs off into the tunnel before the final gun, and he was fired soon after.

8. By ross on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

Good stuff Darren. Hoping its Timmy that rides the sleigh. 125 plus yards on christmas day.

Merry christmas darren and the urban family.

9. By Cardiaccard420 on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

lets go cardinals!!!

10. By Don't Take Losses on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

Well done hoss.

Merry Christmas to all Cards fans. Git ‘er done tomorrow.

Ho Ho Ho bro.

11. By Phoenixraven1 on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

Merry Christmas mr blogger man! Lol! And to all a good night!

12. By Pheenic Cromartie on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

Did you seriously write this all on your own? Nice! This was one of the best poems/songs I’ve ever read.

Now, how do we get Justin Timberlake to sing this…?

Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

13. By Rugbymuffin on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

Merry Xmas Darren.

Good poem.

14. By Michael on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

I hope Whiz game plan for tomorrow is to pound the ball with beanie n timmie, anyways…MeRry ChristmAs Darren! Go CARDS!!!

15. By Eazy E on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

Merry Christmas not xmas

16. By Big Red on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

GOOD LUCK to John Skelton and may you play a great game against America’s most hated team and most spoil team by the NFL. From a Cowgirl hater just like you. Go Cardinals!!!!!!!

17. By AndyStandsUp on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

Happy Holidays sir. You do a great job.

18. By Havasu Tom on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

Great job. Thanks for keeping this season fun. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

19. By TBru on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

Nice work Darren

I attempted to write something similar earlier today and abandoned the idea, it is hard. Although if you follow Revenge of the Birds, check out The Wrath of Larry Fitzgerald ( to the tune of The Wreck of Edmund Fitzgerald) It is hard work. Merry Christmas and thanks for this great space.

20. By Andrew Luck Fan on Dec 25, 2010 | Reply

My Cardinal Christmas list:
    1) New Quaterback such as Kevin Kolb, Kyle Orton, Donovan Mcnabb or Ryan Fitzpatrick. Would rather have Andrew Luck but I guess thats asking too much.
    2) Sign Fitz to contract extension.
    3) Draft an impact player on defense such as CB Patrick Peterson or OLB Von Miller.
    4) New Defensive Coordinator.
    5) Upgrade Offensive line through free agency and the draft.
    6) For the Bidwells to open their wallets to improve the team.
    7) A Cardinals win on Saturday against Cowboys.

21. By Tommy on Dec 25, 2010 | Reply

Let’s get it done boy, you the man John Skelton,
    Let’s get it done quick, Cowboy’s loss another helping,
    Jay Feely can’t run all em in, he’s gettin’ old,
    and Jon Kitna’s gettin’ touchdowns, he’s gettin’ bold.
    Larry Fitz and the boys need to bring all the noise,
    No dropped passes, no cheers from the Dallas boys,

22. By Father Christmas on Dec 25, 2010 | Reply

Just got back from delivering the presents! Little boy in a high tower sleeping with hands together. Leaving many beanies around – to keep heads warm. ‘Hans Christian’ Anderson considering new career – writing. Fearing interceptions & fumbles from little boys waking early, I leave quickly 15, 25, 37 yards to the sleigh. The QB sneak has saved me too. One present just had ‘hyphen’ on it, ‘skeleton’ another. JS 2 LF… TD! Darren, you are a poet but don’t know it. As I rest my weary limbs 2day, rip into the Cowboys using my RED gift sacks. Show Kitna what the roof looks like on his back. I Bid you will fellow football fans, Cards fans say hi to Cowboys fans – just for today. Leave the battle on the field. Be subtle – like a Teutul! It is and will be a special RED day. Be Kerry today & enjoy the blue turkeys being gobbled up by Calais, Adrian, Greg and crunched by Jay. Happy Christmas!! It’s only a game Mine’ serious but don’t tell the kids!!

23. By Gary Gammiero on Dec 25, 2010 | Reply

Good writing,Darren! Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Gary

24. By Alexis on Dec 25, 2010 | Reply

GREAT poem! Let’s beat those Cowboys!

25. By tRiGiDy22 on Dec 25, 2010 | Reply

This game is the Superbowl for us this Year! Let Go Bigred!

26. By wayne on Dec 25, 2010 | Reply

I would like to wish you, the family and the Cardinals a MERRY CHRISTMAS. And all I want for Christmas is to put a wallop on the Cowboys, the NFL owners and NFLPA to get things worked out, plus I can’t wait for training camp to start for the 2011 season, I look forward to it every year.

2. Dec 25, 2010: Top Posts — WordPress.com