Post-presser notes from Whiz

Posted by Darren Urban on December 27, 2010 – 11:52 am

After a day off yesterday thanks to the Saturday game, coach Ken Whisenhunt officially had his “day-after” press conference today. Nothing earth shattering.

– TE Ben Patrick has a hamstring injury. The Cards are waiting to see how LB Joey Porter and RB LaRod Stephens-Howling are this week.

– DB coach Donnie Henderson is feeling better and back to work after fainting while driving in to the parking lot Saturday before the game. They still aren’t sure what happened, but Henderson is OK.

– The use of four down linemen on defense is mostly due to injury at linebacker. Whisenhunt wants to be able to use it, especially against the run. But it terms of flipping the scheme and becoming a 4-3 team long-term, it’s not a consideration.

– Whiz said you need to be “careful” about telling a young QB where to throw the ball, RE the lack of catches for Larry Fitzgerald and Steve Breaston. The Cards use a read-progression for their passing game, and deviating from that too much to force the ball to one place or another would hurt the offense more than help, Whisenhunt said.

– Whiz believes John Skelton’s accuracy will improve over time as he gains experience. It’s not a mechanical issue, he said.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

43 Responses to “Post-presser notes from Whiz”

1. By Mike V on Dec 27, 2010 | Reply

Skeltons Accuracy, strength and skills are all there, we saw that this last game. I agree with coach, he does need more experience which in turn will make him better than he already is, but he definately has what we need!! I was at this last game, and let me tell you, GREAT JOB by our defense, offense, and especially Skelton and Larry Fitz!!! Skelton… that was a beautiful throw for a touch down that I don’t believe Anderson or Hall had anything like that in them, Great Job! and Fitz… You definately came in where we needed you!!! 4th n 15!!!??? beautiful way to end the game… I was going nuts when you caught the ball!! I was hoping and praying for Feely to put it in there for us and it was beautiful!!! Great Job to all of you Cards!!! Your fans are happy! thanks for an exciting game! what a way to end the year… Whooping some Cowboys @$$!!! GO CARDS!!

2. By Chris Waldrop on Dec 27, 2010 | Reply

Can we get a blog or a notebook on DRC’s touchdown dance?

3. By D on Dec 27, 2010 | Reply

RB Beanie Wells Tim Hightower
    FB Reagan Mauia
    Defense
    Calais Campbell Alan Branch
    Dan Williams Gabe Watson
    Darnell Dockett
    O’Brien Schofield Kevin Burnett (FA)
    Daryl Washington Reggie Walker
    Stewart Bradley (FA) Paris Lenon
    Robert Quinn (R) Will Davis
    Greg Toler
    Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie Draft Pick
    Adrian Wilson
    Kerry Rhodes Rashad Johnson

Thanks

4. By Paul on Dec 27, 2010 | Reply

Congrats to all the team and coaches for their effort in the win over the Pokes. Surprised me and a lot of other people frankly. It’s too bad they couldn’t have mustered that against Carolina and home games with SF and SL. Even though we are still a mediocre team at this point I think we could have squeezed 8 wins out of this group if they would have been a little better focused in a handful of other games. Looking forward to the off season activity that will improve this team next season.

5. By Phoenixraven1 on Dec 27, 2010 | Reply

Be interesting to hear the coaches and players take after watching this past games film on Skelton. After the loss atCarolina a lot was said about how well Skelton really looked on tape.

6. By Phoenixraven1 on Dec 27, 2010 | Reply

Lost in the Skelton evaluations I was curious on your opinion of Jim Dray? He seems to be a great blocker and in on a lot more playing time?

7. By Scott H on Dec 27, 2010 | Reply

Sorry to hear about Patrick being injured, but…geez, does it really matter??? We don’t use our TE’s, anyway, so…it’s not like an injury at that position hurts us. Don’t mean to harp on the issue, but…I will. Really, we have a young QB…we’re struggling to run the ball…struggling to sustain drives and move the chains…struggling to get the ball to our WR’s because defenses are keying on them…does this sound like an offense that could really benefit from a good pass-catching TE??? It sure does to me. Maybe one of these years, we’ll actually realize this and we’ll be better as a result. Those involved in the offensive game-planning need to realize that Kurt Warner has retired, and changes need to be made to suit the current personnel. This offense needs to start utilizing the TE, plain and simple. And I can’t even say if we actually have the guy we need on the roster or not because none of our TE’s ever get a chance to show what they can do.

8. By georgiebird on Dec 27, 2010 | Reply

OK -it’s better to win than to lose but fans are jumping all over the wins against Dallas and Denver.
    What fans don’t seem to understand is that the Cardinals have a “dumb” defensive team. Any of the top 15 QB can run rings around this defense. Guys like A-dub and DRC don’t have a clue against the good QBs.
    So if I had a wish for the off season, it’s that the Cardinals bring in a defensive coordinator and a defensive captain with the football intelligence of a Larry Fitz. In case no one has noticed, this Cardinal defense needs a check up from the neck up.

9. By Aaron on Dec 27, 2010 | Reply

Skelton does have some room for improvement regarding his accuracy, but how about our receivers stop dropping the ball and then we see where he’s at? If we had an “average” number of drops I bet he’s close to being a 60% passser?

10. By Darren Urban on Dec 27, 2010 | Reply

PhoenixRaven —

RE: Dray

They obviously want to see him play. Needs to make sure he catches ball more consistently.

11. By georgiebird on Dec 27, 2010 | Reply

These comments on Cardinal draft choices over the past several years is tough to take. To briefly review:
    1) there have been many busts
    2) there have been nice players like Breaston, Dansby, LSH
    3) there are borderline OK players such as Levi, Sendlein, THT,
    4) incompletes like Campbell, Beanie, DRC
    5) and just 3 league wide stars in Fitz, Boldin and to a lesser degree DD
    The problem is #5- the Cardinals need a lot more of this caliber player if the future is going to be bright.

12. By MIKEFLORIO on Dec 27, 2010 | Reply

Urb !!!!!
    Going into the last and final week for preparations, are we gonna see some oc/dc firings come monday??
    Or is our menality still stagnant water doesn’t hurt anyone unless they drink it??

13. By Darren Urban on Dec 27, 2010 | Reply

MikeFlorio —

RE: Coordinators

We will see.

14. By AndyStandsUp on Dec 27, 2010 | Reply

Whiz has always preached about whatever gives the Cards the best chance to win he will do.
    If using the 4-3 and starting Skelton as QB are the best options why is he so obstinate in going that direction?
    Despite the stats, AZ has won 3 of last 4,something must be right.

15. By AndyStandsUp on Dec 27, 2010 | Reply

Darren, with the 49ers promoting their DL coach to replace Singletary if the impossible happened whom,IYO,on the Cards staff would replace Whiz?
    I’m assumimg Grimm but any sleepers?

16. By ross on Dec 27, 2010 | Reply

Georgiebird, I think THT has proven himself to be better than a borderline ok player.

17. By Darren Urban on Dec 27, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Interim

If it were to ever happen, yes, Grimm, but seems kind of moot right now.

18. By georgiebird on Dec 27, 2010 | Reply

Great pick up for DC would be Tony Sparano- as soon as he is let go by the Dolphins. Tony did a fair job as HC with the Dolphins but the AFC East is tough without a QB.
    Do you feel he could be the guy?

19. By Darren Urban on Dec 27, 2010 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: Sparano

He hasn’t even been fired. Unless he is, moot point.

20. By NJAzCardsFan on Dec 27, 2010 | Reply

Any chance Bartels will play against the 49’rs without Skelton getting hurt to see what game skills he has?

21. By Phoenixraven1 on Dec 27, 2010 | Reply

Totally off topic but where can the public get Cardinal red practice shorts like the players wear?

22. By Darren Urban on Dec 27, 2010 | Reply

NJAz —

RE: Bartel

If Skelton is healthy, I expect him to play the whole way.

23. By Darren Urban on Dec 27, 2010 | Reply

Phoenixraven —

RE: Shorts

You can try the team shop but I am not sure those are available to the public.

24. By clssylssy on Dec 27, 2010 | Reply

PLEASE …We Need to Hire a Good Offensive Coordinator and Defensive Coordinator so Whiz can concentrate on the business of running the team. Was just listening to NFL.Life, who normally makes me sick, but, they did make a valid point that the most important change Kansas City has made was to hire good Offensive and Defensive Coordinators so Todd Haley could attend to the job of running the team, resulting in the besting season KC has seen in years with the team on the road to the SB race. When I watch this year’s Chiefs it’s like our two teams have flipflopped and they are where we were three years ago, with the similarities in Haley and Whisenhunt obvious. Coach, you’ve done good in taking our team to one SB with two Division Championships and played a significant role in getting another team, that was as bad off as we were to a Division Championship and shot at the SB. We’ve got the talent just need the resources to put the pieces in place. GOOD JOB GUYS. GO BIG RED. WE DO THIS TOGETHER!

25. By brad oneill on Dec 27, 2010 | Reply

well I haven’t seen any drop off from da to skelton so here’s to drafting the best player available at the 11 spot. and hoping we can pick up a veteran qb for skelton to battle for the starting spot and hopefully learn something.

as for the cardinals having a tight end that can catch the ball. i think we had a guy named novacheck once but other than that i am drawing a blank?

26. By georgiebird on Dec 27, 2010 | Reply

When I saw how good WR Dez Bryant was (Cowboy #1 draft)-I became a firm believer that the Cardinals should draft the best player available. Bryant was definitely the most talented player in the 2010 draft.
    However, the limited success the Rams have had (bad schedule and 7 wins highlighted by a 3 point home victory vs 8-7 Chargers) – it looks like a #1 QB is needed (Cards won’t get top choice).
    Darren, how do you see it- A Dez Bryant talent or the 3rd QB with the 7th pick?

27. By georgiebird on Dec 27, 2010 | Reply

to Ross

I like Timmy, too. But his many turnovers on relatively few carries knocks him down a notch. Hope some coach can help solve the problem.

28. By Darren Urban on Dec 27, 2010 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: Draft

I love how you pose the loaded question. Tough to answer your queries when, in reality, you don’t have any use for what I say.

29. By georgiebird on Dec 27, 2010 | Reply

Re: Draft
    Not fair to say I don’t care what you say- I feel your answers to our/my questions have been handled well and have gotten better as the year has gone on.
    I don’t know where you have answered this “loaded” question which can become a reality in a few months.

30. By Pheenic Cromartie on Dec 27, 2010 | Reply

Georgie-

That’s an interesting theory. If we were to draft the best player available, then it’s possible that we would draft WR A.J. Green.

On a side note, Darren, I know you’re getting a lot of questions, but I have a quick one. What do you think about keeping Bill Davis as the Red Zone Defense Coach? The Defense is #2 in the whole league in RZ Defense, so just something I was thinking about.

One more question (Sorry). Is Free Agency before or after the Draft?

31. By Dennis on Dec 27, 2010 | Reply

Actually Ben Patrick is a good tight end, he just hasn’t been used enough. Warner was able to use him effectively, too bad our current QB’s don’t look to him more often.

32. By Darren Urban on Dec 27, 2010 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: “Loaded”

Doesn’t matter if/where I answered the question. Here is what you posed: “How do you see it- A Dez Bryant talent or the 3rd QB with the 7th pick?”

Seems kind of slanted in my opinion. In a vacuum, you know the obvious answer. But the draft doesn’t happen in a vacuum.

33. By Darren Urban on Dec 27, 2010 | Reply

Pheenic —

RE: Davis/draft

1) You don’t have a “red-zone” coach, so that’s moot.

2) Normally, free agency is before the draft. But there can be no free agency until the new CBA is agreed upon.

34. By Pheenic Cromartie on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Oh, so there’s no such thing as a RZ Coach? Well, that was a dumb question then!

Darren, is it impossible to create other Coaching jobs? Or does the league have a rule that only certain Coaching jobs can exist, like the Head Coach, Offense Coach, Defense Coach, etc.?

35. By cardsalltheway on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Scrutiny of J. Skelton:
    Why does it seem Ken W. puts J. Skelton under much more scrutiny than he ever did compared to D. Anderson and M. Hall? Did Ken W. ever mention whether D. Anderson or M. Hall had “issues like calling plays(in the huddle), communicating the offense?” Or, am I to believe neither Anderson or Hall ever had such problems?
    Here is my reasoning…Ken W. chose Anderson and M. Hall with criticism(therefore el zippo or very little scrutiny) while(according to your poll late in the year) 95% of the fans wanted J. Skelton to play/start.
    I’m just saying with THT, Ken W. announces/discusses in detail numerous times about fumbling. We know fumbling isn’t good but it’s part of the game, does Ken W. need to call the fumbler out by name? I think NOT. Talking about fumbles and interceptions etc… in genreal is fine/okay appreciated but why does he call out “some” players? Fans know who fumbled and when. Ken W. needs to lighten up on he BS detail/scrutiny/calling out of players. He ought to scrutinize himself once in awhile, I might even pay to hear that.

36. By Darren Urban on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Pheenic —

RE: Coaching

You can have a coach for whatever you want. But what is the point of having a specialized red-zone coach?

37. By Dave on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Notice the sentiment has swung north for the team with the D playing and Skelton at the helm? Seems like yesterday people were screaming murder. I agree though we need at least an OC.

38. By Mike on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

His accuracy will increase over time? This guys throws the most accurate passes of any Cards qb this season. You need to look at what the receivers are doing. Skelton had maybe 2 bad passes last game. Everything else is on the numbers. The TE position is atrocious. The accuracy stat is a receiver problem, not qb. I’m impressed with Skelton. I’m really tired of how Whisenhunt keeps downgrading this kid. Of course he looks bad seeing as how the best qb on the team was languishing at qb3. If Cards win next week Skelton definitely should be starting qb next year. 3-1 record with him starting. Something tells me Cards would be winning the division if he’d started all year.

39. By georgiebird on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

We can once again agree to disagree about the draft. Except for draft trade ups and trade down & CBA failure, my question is the
    very one the Cards will face in about 4 months.
    In past drafts, the Cardinals may have felt they were getting “steals” with Plummer and Leinart so I wasn’t trying to downgrade the 3rd QB taken-as beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

40. By Darren Urban on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: 3rd QB

OK, I understand that. The way it was phrased left me with a different meaning.

I don’t know what the Cards do. If the Cards really like the QB available when they pick, there will be heavy consideration there. They aren’t getting Luck even if he comes out, and as of right now, I don’t know if there is another QB they really like. It’s impossible to know until the combine/interview process.

41. By azcards24 on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

darren,
    what about cam newton if hes still availiable you think hed still get a shot? i like him.

42. By Darren Urban on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

azcards —

RE: Newton

Let’s a) see if he comes out and b) allow the Cards to actually evaluate him.

43. By Scott H on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

cardsalltheway –

Ya know, I”ve been waiting for someone to say that! I’ve had similar thoughts, myself. And as much as I really don’t even want to mention Leinart’s name at this point, I’ve always kinda wondered why it always seemed like Whiz just had so little patience with him, yet he had entirely too much patience with Derek Anderson! Go figure…Whiz was bringing Warner off the bench as a change-of-pace QB for Leinart from the day he got here. But Anderson kept getting the endorsement as the best QB for this team as the losses kept piling up…I don’t know if this was the point you were making, but if it was, I kinda agree.