• Sat., Aug. 16, 2014 5:30 PM MST Preseason game at Vikings Preseason game No. 2 at Vikings

A tale of two safeties

Posted by Darren Urban on December 28, 2010 – 8:44 pm

Adrian Wilson is nothing if not self-aware. And blunt. Maybe that’s why, after a decade, I have come to appreciate dealing with him (sure, that means jumping through hoops sometimes with faux-grumpy A-Dub, but that’s OK). So was I surprised to hear him talk about how Kerry Rhodes deserved today’s Pro Bowl nod over him? Not at all.

When Rhodes first showed up after being traded to the Cardinals, he was well aware people had heard of the “Hollywood” reputation from New York. He figured there were plenty of people wondering exactly what kind of player he was. It meant a lot to him to play well here. He promised to be a playmaker. And he was, with his four interceptions (for 174 yards), four fumble recoveries, a blocked field goal, a couple of touchdowns (and what should have been a third had he not been caught from behind in Minnesota). At one point, he wondered aloud if the doubters thought he’d do the job.

That brings us back to today. Wilson doesn’t exactly love outside criticism, but I kind of get why – he’s already criticizing himself internally more than anyone else could. His reaction to his Pro Bowl selection was genuine. There were times early in his career – before he made his first Pro Bowl – when his snubs ate at him. He knows what Rhodes (who has yet to make a Pro Bowl) is going through.

Look, the Pro Bowl is what it is. Plenty of talk has been generated around the league of snubs and how-did-that-guy-get-in and most of it has nothing to do with A-Dub or Rhodes. This stuff happens all the time.

But listening to Wilson talk today about Rhodes, it just reaffirms to me the kind of person he’s always been. He doesn’t have a lot of sugar-coating in his game, and he doesn’t off the field either. As for Rhodes, his season (I’d call him this year’s team MVP, beating out kicker Jay Feely) showed he was a good replacement for Antrel Rolle, the playmaker some worried about losing.

Tags: , ,

66 Responses to “A tale of two safeties”

1. By David Groff on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

If you ask me I would probably agree with Adrian Wilsons statement. I believe that Rhodes does deserve it more then him, I do like Wilson alot and have alot of respect for him but I think that he has had a pretty slow year to where Rhodes has had a pretty good one.

Darren, what do you think?

2. By georgiebird on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

I agree with you on A-dub- he’s a stand up guy. He had nothing to do with the Pro-Bowl vote and it’s not fair to get on him for it.
    However, A-dub was so embarrassed, he looked to divert attention from himself, and put Rhodes in the spotlight.
    For next year, Whiz should make A-dub earn his position. If a better option comes along, A-dub should be cut- he’s a liability and a marked man by every OC in the league- he’s done.

3. By Darren Urban on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

David —

RE: Wilson/Rhodes

I think, as usual, A-Dub has a pretty good handle on the situation.

4. By Darren Urban on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: Wilson

You’re always a ray of sunshine …

5. By AndyStandsUp on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Hyphen and Paris Lennon would have to be considered team MVPs as well, but Rhodes is probably the correct choice.
    The Pro Bowl choices are becoming as much as a popularity contest as the MLBs Golden Gloves.

6. By Bill on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

I have to admit I was really surprised by Kerry Rhodes and his play at FS. I honestly think the Cards upgraded at FS over Rolle.

7. By drumm-1 on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

hey Darren do us all a favor and never post anything from Geogie again, the guy is so full of joy it makes me sick…The cardinals could win the superbowl 24 to 10 and he’ll complain about a call Whiz made in the 1st half…

8. By georgiebird on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

I try to always give you an honest opinion. After being a Cardinal fan for 51 years, I’m way past feel good stories.
    Based on his stats, A-dub will probably get into the HOF some day and this Pro Bowl vote will help his cause.
    But back to your sarcastic comment- Over the past half century, I’ve been a real good Cardinal fan. During the 1960s and 1970s, I used to digest the roster and wait for Pro Football weekly to look at the game stats- and I would brag to my friends about how good the Cardinals would be. Today, guys still laugh and tease me for being a Cardinal fan.
    I’ve seen so many guys come and go thru the years- I root for the uniform not the players. Sorry that I don’t share your view of Camelot.

9. By Matthew Ong on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Its very sad to see how nick collins got into the pro bowl who didnt have as good of a year as rhodes. To me actually Antrel, and Collins dont deserve the spot as much as Rhodes does Antrel with only 1 interception, Rhodes had 4, Collins with 3, and again Rhodes had 4, but also all the fumble recoveries for touchdowns. Rhodes was arguably the best free saftey in the NFC

10. By darrel on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Kill all the skelton talk look what joe webb, mcgee, tebow ,did this week. Just cause you can show flashes doesn’t mean you carry a franchise every year out of all theses qbs skelton looked so far behind he’s at most a career back up.. I would like him as a back up but tooo throw him out there. And telling him to win us ten games a year its not going happen . Don’t drink the skelton kool aid. We already did it wit max hall. We still need a qb in the 1st round. We need. 3 solid qbs next year a vet , draft one in the 1st round , and keep skelton. I don’t think he’s that it factor about Him.

11. By TucsonTim on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Andy Reid post game press conference, “Absolutely pathetic performance on my part… we didn’t coach well…terrible, terrible job…”

Whiz post game press conference (after every loss), “the players failed to execute…”

Wilson’s integrity is a breath of fresh air, honesty and accountability. How he has managed to put up with this organization for so long is a mystery. Obviously, Dansby, Rolle, Pace, Smith and others couldn’t.

12. By TucsonTim on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Georgie –

The entire defense got worse playing the easiest schedule in the worst division in the history of the NFL. Maybe it had more to do with coaching and game planning and less about the talent.

13. By Lone-Eagle on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

all the pro-Bowl is is what high school elections were, a freakin popularity contest!! Alawys has been, always will be!! Fitz didn’t make it in because he had a lousy QB for most of the season. As for the rest of the team, well that is another story. Rhodes however definately deserved to go to Hawaii this year and Wilson did not, and he was right on the money. This is possibly one of the worst years Wilson has ever had, and I am sure that he will agree with that. Hope next year is alot better!!

14. By Brad on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Georgie- go back and watch some film. A-Dub is far from done. He worked at 99% for a couple of games, but 119% in the others. He carried the secondary in many games, and was a force at the blitz when called upon.

You mentioned he should compete for his job. News flash, Coach Whiz does that for all positions every year. A-Dub is and should be a pro bowler!

15. By brad oneill on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

a dub is a great player and was snubbed early in his career so i think we can just cheer our guy this year. I also think Rhodes had a better year than mr.Wilson and i would have loved to have seen him get the recognition he deserved. The bottom line is no one really deserves the pro bowl on a team that has more losses than wins. i do know this, whiz definitely did not get play caller of the year. ;)

now if there was a pro bowl for bloggers Darren would get my vote for sure.

16. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

i stopped by the stadium today to pick up a rhodes jersey but the only black one they had was 250 dollars haha so i bought one of the last rolle jerseys left

17. By Cardiaccards on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    Ok i agree with A-dub 100%. because Rhodes deserves to be in the Pro bowl. No matter what. he was a Big factor for the Cards defense this year no matter what. and i know this will be very off topic but who do you think the Cards will draft this year? in the first round. (just your opinion or if you have a source i’d like to see what the source says)

18. By Cardinals on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Congratulations to Adrian Wilson for making the Pro Bowl, but I do agree that Kerry Rhodes should have made it too. He was a beast this season.

And I’m very disappointed Larry Fitzgerald did not make it. I don’t know if people didn’t vote for him because of this season or what, but you can’t just judge on this one season; the man deserves it. I read from the previous blog he did make the top 5 at his position though, but still.

I guess me sitting at the computer for hours voting for him didn’t pay off…

19. By brad oneill on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

one thing i forgot to mention is if there is one guy on this team I would want to be representative of my team that guy is Adrian WIlson. congratulations A dub get out there and show the best of the nfl why they dont want to come visit arizona next year!!!

20. By David Groff on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

haha classic response to georgie.
    You obviously know what youre talking about when you post this stuff.

21. By Andrew Luck Fan on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Wilson is a good player and has alot of attributes that help the cards defense, such as being a soild tackler, big hitter, good pash rusher, above average speed, play maker and team leader. We all know he is sometimes struggles with pass coverage but i think you can except that for all the other things he does well. I also think his pass coverage has struggled a bit since he was forced to change his game a bit for receiving multiple fines for big hits the past few years. I really wish the cards would consider moving him to middle linebacker next year since he plays better while in the box anyway. His skill set just seems to be more suited for that postion and he is just as big as linebackers Washington or Schofield.

22. By dieHardInStl on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

IMO it is A-Dub’s personality that makes him so special. The man has weaknesses in his game but his strengths on the field, as well as off the field, make him a special player. There is not another SS that i would rather have (at least not in the NFC). Much respect to A-Dub for all that he does for the Cardinal organization.

IMO Kerry Rhodes is team MVP followed closely by Feely. Also, had LSH stayed healthy all year, he could have had consideration.

23. By CardiacCard on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Any word on if the Cards want to resign Breaston? Or are they going to trade him?

24. By Pheenic Cromartie on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Adrian Wilson is a smart man. I have no idea how Antrel Rolle made the Pro Bowl, but Kerry Rhodes didn’t, even though Kerry Rhodes leads Antrel Rolle in tackles, fumble recoveries, interceptions, and touchdowns. Let’s not forget his blocked punt either.

Oh wait, I know. Antrel Rolle plays for big-market New York. I honestly had a lot more respect for the Pro Bowl before this. I can’t believe Kerry Rhodes didn’t even make it to the roster as an alternate. I am genuinely shocked that this happened, and I hope that in the future, something like this never happens again, because I want to believe that the Pro Bowl is truly a game for the best.

25. By Sean Newcomb on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

With the hybrid Defense and crazy blitz packages the Cardinals use ADub is going to have a home here next season, he is still a good SS, a Pro-Bowler even. Might we see him less because TEs have been eating his lunch. I think so, and I can live with that, because he is still going to make plays when he’s on the field.

P.S. ADub is scary.

26. By J.M.Dubya on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Cut one of our best defensive players? You’re on that SuperCrack, huh?

27. By Old Man Riva on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Adrian Wilson has been a bright spot for the Big Red for years and continues that tradition with another appearance in the Pro Bowl. Hate to see the Cards go backwards to the days of old when we get represented by ONE player year in and year out and only because; if I’m not mistaken,the selection committee MUST take at least one player from each team. Obviously there are players on the team more deserving of the single selection, but that’s not the way the Pro Bowl works. I congratulate Adrian as I settle back to wait for the April draft. Deja vu.

28. By AZCARDSFAN on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Wilson is a great player and a class act. Rhodes does deserve to be in the Pro bowl and he is tied for MVP with Feeley.

29. By ross on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Wilson equals classy.

30. By Fortun8s on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

One of A DUB’s major problems this year is trying to do to much, which has gotten him a little out of sync. Ya, he has a few years on him and can not physically due what he wants, and maybe lost half a step but when he stops pushing the envelope he is one of the top performers in the league.

His years of being the top performing safety in the NFL surely has earned A DUB a pro bowl perennial appearance.

31. By johnnybluenose on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

wilson is a classy guy. if there is a season next year i hope he makes more plays than he was able to make this year. and i hope the same thing for almost all our cardinals. nice to see feely rewarded. now, if he can only work on his on-side kicks he’d be perfect. it was good to hear whiz speak so highly of feely after the dallas game. but i couldn’t help but notice that rackers kicked three 50+ yard field goals for houston on sunday. i always thought rackers did a pretty good job for us while he was here and i am glad that he was able to find a new home. DARREN, can you please confirm again for me who the cardinals home opponents are for next season? thanks and happy new year.

32. By Dave on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Lol @urban. All the hatred on here has made you so blunt I love it.

33. By Rich on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Good article. Rhodes has been the team’s MVP, followed closely by Feely and Hyphen. Other good performances this year from: Keith (growing into solid lineman), Roberts (recovered from shaky start), Dray (we need a starting TE but the kid was always in the mix), Branch (took time but starting to prove Kiper wrong), Washington (his quickness at LB really helps), Schofield (never thought he could contribute so early), Adams (makes more plays on defense than anybody), Johnson (starting to grow as a safety). I also like Walker and Davis both when they are on the field. Cards have alot to build on. The decisions this offseason are really critical.

34. By cards62 on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Darren

I admire and like A. Wilson a lot, but this is why I do not watch the pro bowl for years as the voting is a joke. WIlson is right Rhodes is our starting pro bowl safety. Faneca is our best lineman according to the NFL? Are you kidding me?
    Pro bowl is a joke.

Darren if we play the same type of defense next year I do not know what we do with Wilson. I hope we can devise a scheme to use his talents, but I do not know how we keep him on the field for all snaps next season.

I am hoping we also release Faneca and move Levi Brown to guard.
    Thank you and Happy New Year to all Cardinal fans.

35. By clssylssy on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

The Pro-Bowl is nothing more than a popularity contest and it all has to do with the NFL Owners . Alot of elite players were snubbed such as Fitz and Aaron Rogers and at first I thought it had to do with Arizona fans not participating in the vole because of our season but that would not account for Aaron Rogers. It’s always the same players year after year with a few changes here and there. It’s ALWAYS Brady and Manning…I would say… NO BIG!. Nobody will watch unless they have a favorite player in the game anyway. Kerry Rhoades was an EXCEPTIONAL addition to the Cardinals Team. We know it, his teammates know it…who cares about the NFL; and Fitz!….what an amazing athlete who I’m sure any team would give top dollar to get! No…FORGET ABOUT IT…just one more way the owners can manipulate the price tag on a player when it’s their turn on the block.

36. By Chris Minton on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

I hate that Rhodes didn’t make the Pro Bowl, especially since Antrel Rolle did. This gives the national media a convenient talking point regarding Arizona’s struggles this year. They can just say the team lost a Pro Bowl safety and didn’t get a sufficient replacement. Just like everyone talks about how the team let Boldin go, but with the money he demanded and the lack of a proven QB after Kurt retired, it didn’t make sense to keep him. Kerry Rhodes has been a great player for the Cards this year, I’m glad they got him.

37. By Peter in Canada on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

I think everyone would agree that Rhodes deserves the award more than Wilson, but who thinks life is fair.
    And Georgie is right in his own way. Everyone has to earn their spots in the NFL, that’s why Rhodes and Porter and Feeley were picked up by the Cards.

38. By MikeG on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren—Congrats to A-Dub on the Pro Bowl Selection. He certainly has had an up and down year. Certainly he should have made a Pro-Bowl in prior years–so this makes up for it. Wilson is a class act–and his response shows that. The Pro-Bowl voting is a joke and makes no sense at times–good players get snubbed and others make it based on reputation. Do you like the Pro Bowl game prior to the Super Bowl or after ????? I like it after!!!!

39. By McNabb in AZ on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Would you compare Rhodes and Rolle’s stats side-by-side? Pretty sure Kerry had the better year. And I agree that he is the Cards’ MVP this year.

40. By Darren Urban on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Cardiac —

RE: first round

No idea right now.

41. By Darren Urban on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

JohnnyBlue —

RE: Home 2011

Sea, SF, StL, Dall, NYG, Pitt, Cleve and either Car/TB depending on this weekend’s results.

42. By Darren Urban on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

MikeG —

RE: Pro Bowl

Makes more sense to me after.

43. By Lone-Eagle on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

What’s up, You sensored me, that hurt! Have a nice day!!

44. By Peter in Canada on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Darrel – You are right that Skelton isn’t yet ready to lead the team to a 10-6 but to say he is at most a career back up is shooting from the lip. The other three QB’s that you mention were in programmes that varied from years to light-years ahead of what Skelton was in. I think he has made great strides from where he was in August to where he is now. He has passed Hall who had far more experience and is at least the equal of Anderson who is a career backup, which is pretty good. To say he can not improve past where he is now, is highly presumptous.

45. By Darren Urban on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

McNabb —

RE: Rhodes v Rolle

I’d have to look it all up but I am certain Rhodes’ stats are better.

46. By Darren Urban on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Lone-Eagle —

RE: Censored

You know you can’t say that.

47. By Eric on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Darren, Georgie is an idiot. Probably plays Madden all day in his spider man underoos and lives in his moms basement. Clearly A-Dub is the man, and other players agree. He has been in a bad scheme all year and needs a system that best suits his skill set.

Unfortunately bandwaggon, idiot, wanna be football fans like GEORGIE can put their worthless two cents in as well. Hows about we put some pads on Georgie and have him step under center while a new DC call a strong saftey weakside blitz? I bet that would make Georgie a believer, after he woke up of course.

Your awesome Darren! Keep up the great work and Happy New Year! Heres to FA and the draft!!! GO CARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Darren, Carson Palmer?

48. By K-DUB on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Can a player be inducted in the ring of honor while he’s still on the active roster? How long will it take to get A Dub that honor?

49. By DanenInWI on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

In my opinion you don’t have to look at the stats to see Rhodes is a considerably better safety than Rolle. The biggest difference being open field tackling. Rolle was a playmaker for sure………… but he would also account for a few terrible angles and huge missed tackles a game. I didn’t see that this year with Rhodes. Very physical, smart, sound defender. The playmaking was just a HUGE bonus.

Could not be happier with that swap.

50. By KG on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Would you think that Adrian Wilson will be examined further this offseason as a strictly blitzing safety on passing down? It seems that all of his struggles stem from his inconsistencies in coverage and his lack of closing speed on tight ends. Don’t get me wrong, he is crucial for changing offensive play calling at the line but I think Davis’ attempt at hiding Wilson on the line this season hasn’t worked as well as it should. A defensive game plan run off his blitzing skills (and Kerry Rhodes’s) could be something to try next (pre)season. I think that Wilson was best roaming the linebacker’s box as the offense was getting set.

51. By TucsonTim on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Didn’t our defense lead the NFL giving up the most big plays (20+ yds)? That probably worked against Rhodes who is absolutely a better safety than Rolle. Wilson’s reputation got him in, which is fine. Watching QB after QB point at 24 shows that A-dub is a game changer. He is feared by other teams, except in deep pass coverage (nothing new).

52. By darrel on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Let’s get one Thing striaght. We all saw flashes in preseaon so to tell me he’s better than he was in aug . Its not true becuause we didn’t even see him untill november so how can u even know how good he was at that point ..I watched joe webb two weeks in row and the 1st game his footwork. Was soo bad all he wanted to do is run. The guy. Looked like he didn’t even belong in the nfl. And this week he out plays vick with his own game ……and by no means is joe webb a. A good qb ..so if we go in next year and sign vet to start. And somthing happens to him and then we go to skelton and he flopTo. now we lose fitz and were still looking for a qb same position as this year so as cardinals fan I don’t want to spend the 3 years looking. For a qb to lead this team while in the process of losing. Good players and good fans. If they. Are smart they will draft one in round 1 becauses if don’t your walkin another thin line. I don’t be known as the same ol cardinals. Again

53. By darrel on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

And that whole skelton went to a small school. Is. Beating. A dead horse. … peter tell me what kinda system did skelton playin in college I would really like to know .. joe webb was. Wr and option qb in college. Tell me what school mgee went to …. tebow …ppl said he cound t even play qb in the nfl so what’s your point. The excuses are out the window … pat white a second round pick from west virgina. Is playing baseball so that clearly doest matter. You need so some research befor you make a comment like that

54. By Darren Urban on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Eric —

RE: Georgie/Palmer

1) I don’t know Georgie personally but he is definitely not bandwagon. Little overly negative for my tastes.

2) Palmer is under contract. I don’t see them cutting him, and I wouldn’t trade for him.

55. By Darren Urban on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

K-Dub —

RE: Ring of Honor

They won’t put him in until after he retires.

56. By Darren Urban on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

KG —

RE: Wilson role

I do not see them putting him in a pass-rushing role.

57. By Scott H on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

First, I think Wilson is absolutely right about Rhodes being more deserving of a Pro Bowl nod this year. Wilson just has not had a good season and Rhodes has been very good consistently throughout the year. The fact that Wilson is making a point to say this does not surprise me at all and it underscores just how much of a class act he is. But at the same time, Wilson probably deserved a couple of Pro Bowls earlier in his career that he didn’t get because he played for a losing team that didn’t get a lot of prime time games. So, good for him.

58. By Chuck 1 on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Brad,

If Whiz has players compete for every position, why did Faneca win the Guard position over Reggie Wells?

Georgie said that ADub is OTH. I say that Faneca is OTH.

59. By eazy e on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Damn y’all act like A-Wil suck!! Dude is a beast. He will have an even better year next year and the years to come. He didn’t have a great year but it definitely wasn’t horrible. Rhodes had a pro bowl year and is our MVP. I don’t think A-Wil shouldn’t go to the pro bowl though. I thought kerry went to 1 pro bowl before because his numbers in new york warrant at least 1 pro bowl. A-Wil is no doubt an elite safety regardless of what anyone thinks about this year. Ppl He had a good year, it wasn’t that bad.

60. By UC on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

georgiebird, you’re being a bit shortsighted. Just because Wilson had a bad year doesn’t mean his career is over. While he probably has lost a step at this point, we’re left to wonder what a competent defensive coordinator could do with the skill set Wilson still has remaining. Like others said, he’s never going to be great covering tight ends on pass routes, but if he can still single-handedly blow up offensive plays, I can live with his mediocre pass coverage. Hopefully, next year we’ll see what kind of player he still is. I think, and hope, that this season was an aberration for him.

61. By Doc on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

I have enjoyed many of your Blog posts this season. However, I have got to tell you that I have been disappointed with the lack of appreciation and acknowledgement for Paris Lenon. Now, if there is anyone on the roster who deserves a Pro Bowl appearance,it is him. But we all know that it is a popularity contest by in large. Rhodes has had a “solid” season (agree he would belong over others) and Wilson has been really good at times, but neither has provided the leadership and the productivity of number 51. Here is the interesting and more telling thing- Paris doesn’t mind as he is there to do his job. He is a real professional which is refreshing to see in the NFL.

62. By clssylssy on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

We have a great deal of talent that has had it’s moments this year and going into the final game of the regular season, I hope we can put all the negativity aside and hit the 9ers full force and end the season victoriously. With 2 out of 3 wins for John Skelton, I give the young man kuddos and really don’t see what going to a big school has at all to do with talent. I fully expect to regain the NFC West Championship next year, but would really love to see us break out of this soft schedule at some point soon, as it seems we’ve played our best games against teams considered to be elite powerhouses, and who nobody gave us a chance against, i.e., the Saints,the Vikings, even the Cowboys (arg). Thank you for your blog Darren…we usually don’t agree…and THANK YOU CARDINALS! LET’S BURY THE 9ERS! GO BIG RED, WE DO THIS TOGETHER!

63. By Jeff Gollin on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

I think A-Dub was bluntly realistic…and right – Kerry deserved to be in the Pro Bowl (A-Dub kind of coasted in on his own reputation).

The question that keeps gnawing at me is: “Since it’s obvious that A-Dub holds himself to high standards and looks inward when there are problems, why did his performance fall off this year – specifically: being in the wrong places at the wrong time, taking bad penalties and that specific time when he turned the wrong way to give up that late TD that allowed Favre to steal one from us?

#24 just hasn’t been the same old A-Dub – at least on a consistent basis. Is there a back-story we fans don’t know about? A hidden injury? Personal issues?

64. By Gilbert Card on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

I have always enjoyed watching A-Dub playing, he is indeed a stand up guy. Now, with that being said, if I was the Defensive Coordinator or Whiz, I would seriously consider using him exclusively or most of the plays as a “floating linebacker” near the line. A-Dub showed this season that he cannot keep up with most good wide receivers in the league, he cannot cover the passing game. Use A-Dub where he really hurts other teams, near the line sealing holes and blitzing the crap out of QBs and RBs. All in all, love A-dub, love Rhodes, love my Cards. FINISH STRONG!!!!

65. By Flood on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Who beat out Kerry for a starting Pro Bowl spot? Yep, Antrel Rolle! What a joke! I understand fans need a say in who goes but dang. Do some homework and at least vote for someone who has a case to be there! What has Rolle done in NY? Other than get torched by Vick and Rodgers the last two weeks. Yeah, nothing!! Darren, do we have any words on alternates?

66. By Darren Urban on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Flood —

RE: Pro Bowl alternates

Other than the Cardinals — and Kerry isn’t an alternate — those are only released by the teams and it’s hit and miss.