A dreary final Wednesday

Posted by Darren Urban on December 29, 2010 – 2:30 pm

It was the last Wednesday practice of the season today, and during it came a fairly steady rainfall. Afterward, some boisterous freestyle rap battles (Do not mess with Rex Hadnot).

– The only Cardinal not to practice was LB Joey Porter (tricep). He continues to rehab, but the Cards don’t want him to play and totally tear the injury, so they will be cautious. Three others — RB LaRod Stephens-Howling (hamstring), TE Ben Patrick (hamstring) and LB Clark Haggans (groin) — were limited today.

– The 49ers have already ruled LB Patrick Willis (hand) out for the game. And interim coach Jim Tomsula said Alex Smith will be his starting quarterback. Why? “Experience” was Tomsula’s one-word answer. Remember, it was Troy Smith that beat the Cards on “Monday Night Football” back on Nov. 29.

– Long snapper Mike Leach was named the team’s Walter Payton “Man of the Year” award winner, given to a player both for playing excellence and community work. Each team names a winner, and the overall league winner is announced at the Super Bowl. Wednesday, team president Michael Bidwill presented the award to Leach (who, by the way, once managed to break down exactly how he, as a long snapper, could be named Super Bowl MVP. I wish I had a transcript).

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

36 Responses to “A dreary final Wednesday”

1. By Catcher Freeman on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

PLEASE tell me someone has the freestyle battles on video, Darren.

2. By rodolfo on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Congrats to Leach, but I’m now curious about this MVP thing XD Can you post it here by any chance?

3. By Darren Urban on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Catcher —

RE: Freestyle

Sorry.

4. By Darren Urban on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Rodolfo —

RE: MVP thing

I don’t have it. It was just a conversation, not an interview.

5. By darrel on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Darren who all was rapping

6. By bmoreaz42 on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

last game of the season whew! i think cards need to reevaluate situation on 3 counts, 1).sign mcnabb draft cam newton,mcnabb could hold the fort down 1-2 yrs while tutoring skelton and newton,look what he did 4 vick! and when he leaves we’ll have a similar situation as philly 2 starting caliber nfl qbs! 2). cards d is 4-3 the sucessfull 3-4 teams nt are 6-4 330-350 plus lbs! cards have nothing close ngata, jenkins,wilfork,rogers,hampton,j williams were of that build. i love dan will but we need 2 line dockett next 2 him campbell,sign and or draft a de,leave d will at mike, scho at will and draft or sign a sam=monster 4-3. 3).get a oc and dc

7. By Darren Urban on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Darrel —

RE: Rapping

Not sure who, other than Rex. There were at least 10 or 12 guys in the group.

8. By bmoreaz42 on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

fix the o line both tackles r not the answer and we may need a new guard as well! lol. i guess i had 4 counts

9. By Fortun8s on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Darren: This is a repeat but was not answered so thought I would try again!

Coach Whisenhunt is a firm believer and consistently demonstrates positive mental processes are essential to a winning team. Cardinals are blessed with plethora of physically endowed talented players, but are making mental mistakes at key times.
    To correct, young players from making repetitive mistakes, is to provide an accelerated learning process that will allow players to react instinctively and positively to their reads instead of having think their way through the progression. This reaction is absolutely necessary due to the speed of the game.
    You have stated the Cardinals do not employ a Sports psychologist or at least do not have one on staff. So how are these young minds going to learn the system in the off season and grow the necessary mental preparation?
    If you know that, you probably know the learning system the Cardinals employ and can pass on that info.
    Thanx

10. By Darren Urban on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Fortun8 —

RE: Mental

So what are you asking me? Most teams don’t have a psychologist.

11. By Scott H on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Dreary would be a good word for this whole season, unfortunately. This team has too much talent to be at the bottom of the worst division in football. The damn division might be won by a team with a losing record, and we weren’t even good enough to be in the race??? I swear, if Warner is here – even without Boldin, without Dansby, without Rolle, without Berry – this team is 10-6 at worst, and would have locked up the division weeks ago! Yeah, I know – stop whining about Warner. OK. But my point is that we sure as heck know how important the QB position is now after we fell off the map without one.

I’m glad to see Skelton getting a chance to play, the win against Dallas was a good one, and if we can win the last game against San Fran to go 3-1 in our last four games, I’ll feel good going into next training camp.

12. By John on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Any live chats planned after this weekend?

13. By brad oneill on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

motivational speakers are so 1985.

14. By cardsfan on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

i still think john will be a good qb once we get a vet to help him out i kno it look at brady not sauin he brady but u never can judge the heart of a player

15. By Mike Ellingboe on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

@Fortun8s,

The accelerated learning process in the NFL is called OTA’s, practice, film study, playbook, scrimmages, preseason games, regular season games, playoffs, etc. The sports psychologists are called position coaches, coordinators, head coaches, veterans/team leaders, etc. If the players aren’t getting it after all that there is something called aptitude/ability, which may not exist. The NFL environment would have the average psychologist seeking their own therapy.

16. By KG on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Just looking through the box scores of all previous games this season and I was wondering about a possible stat. Are Max Komar’s 3 fumbles from the first game of the season the most fumbles lost by a rookie in their first game playing? Maybe tied for the most? I have no idea if this kind of stat is retrievable but it would be interesting to know if there has been a more fumble-prone rookie in their first game.

17. By KG on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

I shouldn’t say ‘fumbles lost’, I mean fumbles in general.

18. By darrel on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

We also need a db greg toler would be better in nickle packages there a lot dbs available I woundnt mind drafting omar bolden. In later round like round 5 or 6 we need another corner. We’ll also need a tight end really bad one that catch and block. Be on. The look out for dontay moch I lined up agaist him I highschool he played for hamilton one the fastest de I’ve ever seen he plays for nevda right now. He’s 6″1 245 and I heard he can run between a 4.2 to 4.4 range hell shoot up the draft borad after the combine. Just be on the look out you heard here first lol

19. By Mike Ellingboe on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

@bmoreaz42

I’m not a fan of the 3-4 either but there’s a little more to it than just having a 340 pound NT. Abreyu Franklin isn’t any bigger than our NT’s but most have him ranked at or near the top of the pack at his position. Plus Williams fits into your criteria of 330-350 (I believe his weight limit is 327). We just don’t have the pass rushers at OLB to justify putting Dockett in double team positions or leaving the hole it inevitably creates in the middle of any 3-4 run D.

I do completely agree that I would like to see the havoc Williams and Dockett could create in a base 4-3 (or even the occasional 5-2).

20. By AndyStandsUp on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

I think I read somewhere that Leach is the leading active longsnapper with 8 punt return tackles.
    Of course with a 11 year career, hits happen.

21. By KyCardsfan on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

I’m watching NFL network and they had Arizona at 49ers which is correct, however they had arizonas record as 8-7, I think they did that on purpose to tease me lol

22. By Pheenic Cromartie on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Although this has been a painful season, I am said to see it end. I had a ton of fun watching the Cardinals play (No matter how painful the losses were). I’ll be waiting eagerly for the last game.

After that starts the Off-season. The great part about this season was we now need a new QB. Searching for a QB is always exciting in the Off-season. Also, there’s the chance we might draft a QB in the 1st Round. Again, that’s always exciting. We also might remodel the Coaching Staff. That’s another thing to look forward to.

Even though the season’s over, this Off-season is going to be busy as ever. I, as a Cardinals fan, can’t wait.

23. By eazy e on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

I didn’t agree with troy arguing with singletary but he should start but whatever alex smith here we come

24. By KGARD34 on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

DARREN, DO YOU KNOW THE DATES FOR THIS YEAR’S DRAFT? I HAVEN’T BEEN ABLE TO FIND THIS INFORMATION ANYWHERE. I’M ASSUMING IT’S EITHER THE 21ST, 22ND, 23RD; OR THE 28TH, 29TH, 30TH OF APRIL. I’M HOPING TO GET A CHANCE TO GO THIS YEAR. THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION.

25. By UC on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Fortun8s, the first thing that a competent sports psychologist should do is address King Whiz’s utter refusal to take responsibility for his own mistakes. Next might be to address his blatant favoritism towards certain players and coaches that he personally likes, and his obvious bias against players he doesn’t personally like, and explain to him that playing these kinds of mind games is never going to be constructive in the long term. Third might be to try and impress upon him the value of having personal integrity, since he likes to blame everyone and everything else under the sun for the problems he either created or allows to exist.

26. By Christo on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Word from the FO?

I know we are typically a quiet Organization. We need to hear something though! We deserve it after this pathetic season.

OC? HAS to be a new DC, right? QB Solution?

Anything? Or is Mike and Fam just going to sit there and count the money?

27. By MIKEFLORIO on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Some better reporting urb! I commend you and the topics for a lack luster year. Should make for an interesting offseason. This is the time that you will need to bring your A game. First thing monday who gets fired! Then the rest from there. I hope for some changes. But, freestyle battles, that is like TMZ stuff!!!!

28. By DAfan on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

We need video or a transcript of the “how a long-snapper can be Super Bowl MVP” speech. Please, Darren, see if you can post that. Was he joking or actually serious?

29. By Fortun8s on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Darren:

There are many advanced learning methods and systems, mostly developed in the past 40-50 years which provide faster, deeper, greater and longer retention of subject matter than the rote system, which is and has been the staple of our national education system.
    Actually, I was wondering why the Cardinals have not employed a learning system that would speed up the development and performance of many their players.

If you wish additional info contact me , Thanxs for your reply !

30. By Darren Urban on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

John —

RE: Live chat

Next week might be a good time.

31. By Darren Urban on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

KGard —

RE: Draft

I believe the draft will be April 28-30. Trying to confirm.

32. By Darren Urban on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

DAfan —

RE: Leach

He was having some fun. Mike is a good guy who understands exactly his spot. He doesn’t take himself too serious.

33. By clssylssy on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Fortun8—OMG! ROFLMAO….Are you for real??? Thanks for the levity, it’s refreshing to see some fans still have a sense of humor. Been a fan for many years and this isn’t the worse season we’ve had. I, personally am sad that the regular season is coming to an end but it would not surprise me to see our guys go to Frisco and thump those stinkn 9ers! Hope that the players and the coaches can overlook all our armchair experts, learn from the past and keep their eye on the future. Am certain we will be the NFC West Champs again next year. THANK YOU DARREN, THANK YOU CARDS, WE DO THIS TOGETHER!

34. By Chuck 1 on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

It is amusing (and sad) that so many fans are Pollyannas and believe that the dysfunctional Cards organization (Bidwills, Graves, Whiz and his coaching staff and the Scouting Department) can put together a coaching staff and roster that WILL win the NFC West next season.

What has the organization done this season that would make one believe that it will happen?

2. Dec 29, 2010: Tweets that mention Word From the Birds Blog -- Topsy.com
  3. Dec 29, 2010: A dreary final Wednesday – Word From the Birds Blog | Walter Payton