Considering Breaston

Posted by Darren Urban on December 29, 2010 – 10:24 am

Let me start by saying this, in the interest of full disclosure: I am a big fan of Steve Breaston, both the player and the person. Maybe more the person. Watching him create his spot in the NFL after very little was expected of him — then-OC Todd Haley admittedly didn’t think Breaston would ever be more than a return man after his fifth-round selection, and I had media friends in Michigan who were leery he could make it on this level — was impressive. I had no doubt he would fill the receiver void left when Anquan Boldin was traded, and I think, even with injuries and uneven-at-best QB play, he has.

But Breaston is scheduled to be a free agent after the season (and assuming the new CBA doesn’t drastically change the free agent process, he’ll be unrestricted). Then Breaston played much less than usual against the Cowboys in lieu of Andre Roberts, and naturally, it raised eyebrows. Kent Somers covers all the ground very well today in a story about the situation.

Breaston’s knee is a concern, clearly. He had his right knee repaired earlier this season after meniscus damage. There have been many weeks he has been limited in practice, and the Cowboys’ game was about not overworking his knee. Breaston also had a right knee issue early in 2009. These things are factors when talking about seven-figure salaries. There is a time crunch here; players can only sign extensions until March 4. That’s when either free agency will start or, if there is not a new CBA by then, free agents go into limbo and cannot sign anything. Like most free agents, the closer a guy gets to the open market, the better chance he will test that market first. CBA uncertainty — and the threat of losing football games (and income) in 2011 — does not help.

I don’t doubt the Cardinals want to keep Breaston. I’m not sure that means making sure he doesn’t test the market. That’s always a major risk; that was the situation with both Antrel Rolle and Karlos Dansby last year, players the Cards did make large offers to but not larger than their current teams. Breaston is the last guy who will ever spout off about such things — earlier this year, Larry Fitzgerald teased Breaston in the locker room in front of the media, trying to get Breaston to say something about his contract, and Steve had zero interest — but you can bet he knows Darnell Dockett got an extension this season and he has not.

It’s impossible to know exactly where this is headed. I know I am hoping Breaston is a Cardinal in 2011. I was hoping I’d be sure about this time of year, but in reality, no one can be.

Tags: , , ,

57 Responses to “Considering Breaston”

1. By Mike on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Breaston has been such a great unselfish player and 32 teams in the nfl should love to have this guys. Please resign him Cards.

2. By Phoenixraven1 on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

I’m with you Darren, he’s a teamleader too and we need him! I know with all the talent behind him it’s probably not great for him. I wish we’d sign him and if we had to let him we could at least trade him. The emergences of Roberts, and that pesky max komar and ate untested Williams wr sure don’t make keeping him a priority! Either way he’s a great guy!

3. By azfan88 on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

please sign breaston

4. By tRiGiDy22 on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Dollarbill break out the Checkbook, lets get it done!!

Looks like the only way we are ever going be able to keep are players, is to pass the can around the Stadium?? Collect Donations? Cause ownership is a joke!

Darren how does ownership feel about there Product?? Oldest team in the NFL with No Ring! Dam even Lebron James might have 1 before us!!(lol)

They left Chicago an St.louis an those City’s couldn’t be better off!

5. By tRiGiDy22 on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

I see Mayflower Moving Trucks from California any day Now!

Sad we have the Worst Owner’s in the History of Any Sports!! (Hands Down)

We should just become someone’s Farm Club? Change the Name to the Firebirds cause every year we have a Fire Sale on Players!

I hate it Players We Drafted an Grown to Love, Seeing them with Stars on there Helmet or Another Bird or Porpoise?? Thanks

6. By Dave on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

I hope we don’t pull a Q part 2. Look at him now…

7. By Jon L. on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Breaston has been a solid # 2 receiver for us this season. he could have easily had another 1000 yard season had it not been for injuries and mediocre QB play. What I dont understand is how fitz and paris lenon didnt make the pro bowl. they were both very good this year.

8. By cheesebeef on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

he shoudl have been extended before the season started so he didn’t have to rush back from injury… and yes, coming back after 3 weeks from an injury which usually requires 4-6 weeks rehab is rushing back nd why did he rush back? The team left itself with zero WRs and because he was in a contract year, he had to get out there… and as usual, the Cardinals are treating one of their home-grown guys, who have done nothing but work their butt off like dirt. They monkey’d around with Dansby, giving extensions to Q/DD… (even Gerald Hayes!) before they got aroudn to realizing… OH CRAP! We have to franchise this guy he’s that good! Now Breaston isn’t a Dansby, but it’s just one more example of this team being a day lat and a dollar short on almost evey decision they make.

Fire this idiotic GM already and get someone who actually can see further down the line then what’s right in front of his face… especially since he rarely sees that as well.

9. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Good write Darren. Thanks for covering the specifics of FA if no CBA is agreed upon by March 4.

I always root for the underdog, the darkhorse. And like you, I really would like to see Steve stay a Cardinal in 2011 and beyond. It’s too bad his injuries started with a meaningless preseason game against Pittsburgh in 2009 when Whiz wanted to get since cut backup QB Brian St. Pierre time with the first-team receivers. …sigh…

Have yourself a Happy New Year!

10. By Kurt on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

I’ve always been a huge Steve Breaston fan, that being said the Cardinals need to focus on the QB spot for next year, befor they worry about Steve.
    Skelton, Veteran or draft they need to decide sooner then later.

11. By Cardiaccard420 on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Breaston has done nothing but make plays. He is a good friend of fitz and if the cardinals want to keep fitz happy resigning breaston would go along way. I have a feeling they will trade him for kevin kolb or someone.

12. By Cardiaccard420 on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

What the bidwells do this off season will tell me alot about how much they care about winning football games. Make some moves, keep the play makers and get rid of the non-playmakers. Don’t give away every good player we have, like last year. SPEND SOME MONEY!!!

13. By joe again on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Darren–

100% — I agree with you 100%. I am a big Steve Breaston fan. The guy is so humble, so modest, so tough, soft spoken, and team oriented.

Sometimes when he flies around out there on the feild, he looks as skinny and loose-jointed as a scare crow (before his hair cut, his mop top played into that image, too).

What a great, classy guy! Please, Darren, do him and us all a favor and write more often about him.

14. By john on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

It’s unfortunate, but I could see Breaston playing in UofP stadium next year…..
    For the Rams !!

Bradford needs weapons, Breaston fits the bill.

Cards left scrambling and drafting another wr in the 3rd to make up for the loss.
    Wait, the Cards will become the power running game team we thought with Beanie. Oh Beanie hurt himself eating breakfast. Well Doucet can fill the roll. Oh wait, he got hurt watching Beanie eat breakfast.

Get a deal done now with Breaston or lose him to FA.

15. By darrel on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

I’ve met breaston pretty cool guy but I could see him leaving .. I can actually see detroit givng calvin johnson a #2 just. Saying he really liked michagan when he was there and the lions may not be good next year but they aren’t that far away adding breaston. Would wounders be for them. And the wr market have som intresting name if did loose so I think cardinals don’t mind if they keep him let’s look @ names not sayin cardinals. Should be interestd but somthing too look @ if breaston leaves smith is most intirguing name to me

Moss
    Ownens
    Maybe ochocinco
    Steve smith. Panthers may want out

16. By bmoreaz42 on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

love breaston 2, also would love mcnabb in red &white and the drafting of cam newton, mcnabb could tutor skelton & newton for 1-2 years then we’ll be in a position similar eagles with 2 starting caliber nfl qbs.

17. By darrel on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Your right w that you can’t go wong. I really like this.

18. By 17fordfan on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

I agree, we need a guy like #15 on our team. We actually need 52 other players just like him IMO. A true warrior! These are the things I will look at when they send me a renewal for my season tickets… Along with, how they address the QB situation and DC position….

19. By darrel on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Man we need to wrk for the cardinals because I think this the best senario. With. Having the ability to keep fitz, fitz likes newton and we could always use newton in wildcat or on 3rd and short. , trik plays because he can catch too and he 6″6 what db can even jump with him lol make it happen cardinals

20. By gregg smith on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Breaston is a keeper. The Bidwells need to budget their lifestyle to $20 million a year and put the rest into keeping our players. If we don’t keep everyone in tact, I refuse to renew my club tickets. After 21 years, I will be done if this organization doesn’t stand up to the plate. One other thing, get rid of Graves and get a new GM.

21. By Brandon LA on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Love Steve Breaston. Darren and Kent are both correct. He has toughness despite nursing an injury. What nfl player isn’t nursing some sort of injury? He still makes plays!

The Cards selected O’ Brian with an injury. Obviously they are willing to take that kind of leap with a player.

22. By Card 26 on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Totally agree!

This team once boasted the best receving core in the league. Now it’s becoming a faint memory. Losing Breaston gives us nothing but a mish-mash of maybe’s and one triple team threat. Oh, Charlie, where are we when we need ya?!

A winning season once every thiry years isn’t going to cut it.

23. By Big Red on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

I can just see SKELTON TO BREASTON all day long. Especially on the cowboy game. We need Breaston again on the team for years to come. Ask Skelton if he would like to have him too. We all know what the answer would be, C’mon Bidwells, pay the money. We want a winning team next year.

24. By bmoreaz42 on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

newton reminds me of big ben with his ability to shrug off tacklers and his escapability plus he was a 65%completion passer

25. By Andrew on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

It is comical how the haters come out and repeat the same rhetoric in a bad year: Bidwells, GM, Coach, etc. It has been an incredibly disappointing season, but we were all beginning to get a little complacent and entitled. There is not really any problem with the overall level of talent on the team; the Cardinals misfortunes originate from losing Kurt Warner. This would have been a winning team with Warner or another top line quarterback. Without the threat of an aerial offense, the RB’s are toast, the OL looks exposed and the defense ends up on the field far too long to stay effective. Skelton is interesting, but is currently (and for the foreseeable future) a far cry from a top QB. Unfortunately, in the NFL, all elite teams revolve around elite QB’s and everyone else operates at varying levels of mediocrity. Solve this piece and everything else falls into place. Don’t solve it and we will be reading the same thick-headed crap next year (if there is a next year) about Bidwell, Graves and Whisenhunt.

26. By brad oneill on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

So how many great cardinals do we have to watch go away?
    hell we lost tillman to the military. although i heard the bidwills were willing to match the starting salary of a ranger.

it is so painful as a fan to lose good talent and good people. I remember losing thomas jones, David Boston, garrison hearst, jay novachek, anquan Boldin, aeneas williams, corey chavous, vai sikahema,

In the past it was easy to root for departing cardinals on their new teams because the cardinals were usually out of it by midseason, but now that i actually have hope of winning a playoff games, it hurts a lot more to lose people.

i love the fact that they resigned dockett and kept kurt here as long as they did, I have no problem with letting dansby, and rolle go although they were good guys they weren’t really doing the job that would be expected for the salaries they ended up getting.

27. By Chris B on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Breston is clutch. He’s good enough to keep but he won’t require break the bank money, regardless of whether I think he deserves it. From what I remember, there are quite a few pieces of this team that will become free agents next year. Hightower, Lutui, Sendlien, come to mind I think. The Cards probably don’t want to pay people if the Cards won’t get paid in 2011. That’s not smart business.

Plus: I just received a Breaston jersey for Christmas, so I want him to stay so I have at least one good jersey to wear!

28. By bmoreaz42 on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

i agree with u Andrew except that even with kurt the cards would still be mediocer because of what u pointed out , the o line! if the o line was half as good as ATL,BAL,NE,shoot even HOU we could have run the ball with more consistency thus controlling the clock, keeping our d fresh, and minimizing our qb’s mistake ratio! but no whiz wants to(no he did all season!) pass the ball like we still had kurt!

29. By jwit on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

If the Cardinals don’t resign Breaston, it will send the wrong message (in my opinion) to players and fans… Even in a dismal season, the Cards are blessed to have to two class act WRs who continue to give 100% each game w/o complaining or whining. Losing Breaston will be like losing Boldin all over again… which has hurt most fans to the core. It also apparently hurt Fitz as well… and I believe that how the Cards deal with Breaston will affect his Decision. We, as fans, are still trying to deal with the loss of many great players in the recent past. Personally, I try to find the logical reasoning behind those losses of key players and play devil’s advocate for the organization. However, if the Cards don’t make a serious effort to bring Breaston back in 2011 then how can players and fans believe production/effort/leadership mean anything to this organization. Breaston has tremendous upside with intangibles that can’t be taught and his knee injury isn’t career ending… (is It?) I doesn’t make sense…

What goes into the decision process when deciding who gets resigned or not? Is there a criteria that they follow? Some mandate that allows them to make cold-calculating decisions? There has to be something that we as fans are missing.

Thank you for your hard work each season… your efforts help us to keep our sanity.

I am hoping patiently that somehow someway the Cards will make the right decision.

30. By hebrew on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Antrell Rolle signed with the Giants for less than what the Cardinals offered.
    He wanted out.

31. By John L. on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Simply put..Breaston is a FOOTBALL PLAYER! He does an awful lot for this team! Not many like him in the league..keep him!

32. By B on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Jesus….if he isn’t resigned then this team is 0 back to the SAME OLD CARDINALS!!

33. By AndyStandsUp on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Steve is the one who honored a teammate by not coming out for pre-game intros, because he felt he was just holding a spot.
    He perservered into a 1,000 yard receiver when even his offensive coordinator didn’t think he had a shot.
    He’s had heart and leadership when a bum knee would have made others game miss.
    But what would you expect from the miracle baby, he is what it is.

34. By TBru on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Wait, Mr Bidwill is the worst owner in all of sports? He is the best sports owner just in the Phoenix area

35. By Peter in Canada on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Andrew – You have expressed my thoughts exactly.

36. By SeeingRed on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Why is it always a big question whether the Cards Org will keep core players-especially ones who have examples of that this team should be and is (Q anyone?)??? There’s always a reason not to resign or they drag their feet resigning players. I’ve never followed another NFL team this closely but it always seems like pulling teeth when resigning good players. Role players (cheaper)-no prob; guys due for a nice payday….not so much.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m one of the first to defend the Org and and get annoyed with the Bidwell bashers still out there. I’m just a little annoyed we’re having this conversation about a guy who brings so much to the team. Do the right thing Cards…and soon.

37. By georgiebird on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Breaston is such a smart football player-the type of player that the Cards need. His services are going to be in high demand and a team with a big time QB will pay dearly for him-maybe Pats or Colts.
    His injuries and the emergence of Roberts may keep the Cards from going “all in”.
    On another subject- I’m enjoying listening to Antrel Rolle try to talk his way out of his much less than Pro-Bowl play over the past few weeks.

38. By Chuck 1 on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

To Andrew (and any others who use the word HATER for those of us who want the Cards organization to change the way that it is operating),

HATE: To regard with strong or passionate dislike; detest; loathe; execrate; despise; abhor; a feeling of enmity; disdain; bitterness; animosity

DISAGREE: differ in opinion; dissent; hold opposite views

When one DISAGREES (see above definition) with what the Bidwills, Graves, Whiz, his staff and the Scouting Department are doing, they are not HATERS (see above definition).

39. By Ricky on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    It’s hard to imagine the Cardinals without Breston. He, along with Ftiz, is part
    of the heart & soul of this team…….

40. By Frustrated on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Do you think there will be a full season of football next year?

41. By Pheenic Cromartie on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Brad, Pat Tillman joined the military because he wanted to serve his country. He didn’t join it because the Bidwell’s weren’t willing to pay him enough. I hope you were kidding, and even if you were, you shouldn’t joke about Pat Tillman. The man’s a hero.

Anquan Boldin was one of my favorite players. I really liked him, and I was a huge fan. But he left because he wasn’t happy. It was as simple as that. He wanted to go, and we can’t hold on to a player who isn’t happy.

We lost Antrel Rolle, but got a fantastic replacement in Kerry Rhodes.

Karlos Dansby is the highest paid player of his position in the NFL. We couldn’t afford to pay him the money he’s being paid. It’s ridiculous how high his salary is. We were better off looking for another player.

Steve Breaston is a great player, but I trust our FO to do the right thing.

42. By Victor on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

The first thing I would do in the Off season is SIGN LARRY FITZ to a LONG TERM CONTRACT and then sign Steve Breston to a good contract

43. By eazy e on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Mediocre QB play, don’t you mean horrible QB play? Sign Breaston stop being cheap cardinals. I’m going to start calling the cardinals ”conservative cardinals” until they start consistently making some big moves starting with this one!

44. By UC on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Hey Andrew, the Cards had a backup for Warner. What happened to him? And who’s decision was that, right before the start of the season? Yes, that’s right, but I know you’re just being the good lapdog. And speaking of thick heads, learn to spell the owners’ last name properly.

I didn’t have any problem with losing Dansby, he wasn’t worth the money, and Rolle couldn’t cover the field if he was snow. But they let Q leave, and now they’re letting Breaston twist in the wind. It’s one thing to have been a fan of this team when the talent level was mediocre, but watching them now screw with guys who can make this football team successful is revolting. I’m even starting to wonder if Leinart is going to end up having the last laugh about the way King Whiz treated him, which is something I never would have considered previously.

45. By gatorplaya on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Breaston is a beast, but honestly knowing how the Cards GM is, he will be released. Darrel did list a short name of Wide Outs, but what makes you think they will end up here, the Cardinals allowed great players to leave for financial reasons. Honest I would love to see Steve here, but look at the situation…It is going to end up just like a Q, Dansby, Rolle, Smith, and many other great players we let go. I hate the Carda Management right now. Go from Superbowl team, winning the division twice, to not even breaking 3rd place in the Division…This sux so bad!!!! I guess it was fun while it lasted! Thanks for the memories….and no it’s not a curse on the team…ITS THE BIDWELLS AND THEIR GREED!!!!!

46. By brazilian fan on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

not to sign him??? what a joke… he’s great

47. By Khardz on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

I got my first cards jersey for x-mas, a Breaston On-field jersey, if he doesn’t get a contract soon I’m going to scream!

48. By Darren Urban on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

jwit –

RE: Extensions

There is a way they look at breaking down the roster, figuring out “core” players (a list that can change from year to year based on age, injury, other options).

I will say this: You mention “cold, calculating decisions.” No question this is a business. Sentimentality rarely is in play. For both organizations and players.

49. By Darren Urban on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Frustrated –

RE: 2011

Full? Right now, I say yes. I do say this: There is no way 2011 is wiped out.

50. By bmoreaz42 on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

i don’t wanna see breaston leave as much as the next person but u know the bidwills m.o. why don’t the cards try to trade him in the offseason before contracts expire and we get nuthin in return? im sure we can get valuable pics. hightowers a free agent also. don’t wait 4 the last minute then it’ll b 2 late! hey darren r the cards getting comp picks 4 losing dansby, rolle, and boldin? i don’t think cards will get one 4 warner. it would b nice any little bit would help right now lol!

51. By Andrew on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

UC:

Lapdog? I simply said that it will take a top-notch quarterback to elevate the team. That has nothing to do with back-up quarterbackss or what happens to them. Personnel changes are dynamic in the NFL and even the best systems have “busts”. Sure, everyone is frustrated with a losing season and there is plenty of accountability to go around. The Cardinals have the potential to be the winning organization they were in the past few years with the right on-the-field leader. Everything works better with an effective QB. How to obtain that in the next year or two is the challenge. Let’s be honest, how many times during the course of the season did you wish that it was KW taking a snap at a key time in a tough game?

Griping about the owner, coach or GM is not productive (but certainly part of the sport from a fan’s perspective). Less than a year ago they looked brilliant. I will say it again: this would have been an exciting and winning team with one of the top-10 QB’s.

52. By cards62 on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Steve Breaston was a draft choice that we selected correctly and a high caliber person that we must keep on our squad next year as long as his slaary demands are not crazy. We need a lot of changes in 2011, but Breaston is one who must stay with us for many more seasons.
    I sure hope this off-season goes better than 2010.
    Go Cards

53. By Ben on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

This is exactly why you cannot fall in love with Cardinals players. Loved Boldin too,, we should have kept him happy. He is gone. LOVE Show-me-your-Breastons, and how do we treat him? I agree with the earlier poster that says we will try to bandaid this with yet another late round WR. What a waste, this deal should have been done 10 weeks ago.

Oh and Bill Davis needs to be fired NOW!!!!

54. By Scott H on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Breaston – like Fitz – had this season mostly taken away from him by the generally poor play at the QB position. Not his fault. But that doesn’t change anything about how I feel about having him here for the future. Absolutely, I want him here. He has a maturity and professionalism that seem beyond his years. He always been generally quiet & low-key but hard-working and all business come game time. No show-boating, no trash-talking, no endzone dance routines…then again, he studied under Fitzgerald and Boldin, so…no surprise that he carries himself like a pro.

55. By UC on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Andrew, you’re missing my point. As this season has indicated, Warner and Haley were successful DESPITE King Whiz. Even with Warner gone, with Leinart at QB, with as much talent as this defense has, in as crappy a division as the Cards play in, and as weak as their schedule was, they should have been able to win AT LEAST 10 games this year, maybe even 12. But instead, King Whiz screwed Leinart because he didn’t like him, and that in turn screwed the team. I’ve never liked Leinart’s personality, but I refuse to believe he would he performed as incompetently as King Whiz’s golden boy DA. And King Whiz’s hand-picked defensive coordinator Billy Boy just mishandled the defense week after week. These issues trace back to the head coach, who, you will notice, never publicly takes the blame for any of it. This is not rhetoric, it’s observation. If Breaston isn’t extended, I’m sure some loopy-logic excuse will be proferred by King Whiz to try and explain it away, just like he did with Q.

56. By georgiebird on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

I read your answer to jwit RE: Extensions and had a hearty laugh. You sound more like me than I do. Thanks for coming over to the Reality Zone.

57. By BLOOD RED on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

These guys talkin trash about the owners I guess have not noticed since Michael took over the reigns how the team has changed.I am with you on the old Cards but not the new ones.If you really know this team you know there has been a huge change in spending!You guys think we can just keep everybody and that isn’t how it works.I think they have done as good a job as possible keeping key players and still being able to afford others to surround them.I do think they will do what it takes to keep Fitz and Stevie B.He brings a toughness and courage few have.Can’t keep all of the Rolle’s that have one good year and want to get rich!But I trust we will keep the ones we really need and Breaston is one of them.ROCK N ROLL REDBIRDS!!!
    P.S. If you did pass a bucket around the stadium for Breaston you would see how much the fans appreciate having him on our team!