49ers aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on January 2, 2011 – 11:58 pm

It seemed like the question to ask, so I was asking it. Is it a relief to have this season over?

The answers were measured. Alan Faneca talked about the one plus was that the Cards were back to 0-0 moving forward. Tim Hightower talked about the wish it wasn’t over, and yet end of the nightmare that was.

“Not really a relief, but we are glad it’s over from the standpoint of all the negative that happened to this group,” cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie said. “Now we get a fresh start.”

No question a fresh start is needed. I’m not going to get into everything right now – gotta have something to write about in the coming days – but after a 5-11 season, changes are needed, and changes are coming. That’s for sure.

“I learned a lot this year myself,” coach Ken Whisenhunt said, and I am sure everyone is curious to know how that will manifest itself.

Whisenhunt wouldn’t talk about the possibility of changes on the coaching staff. Not sure he will tomorrow morning at his season-ending presser either. I am sure he will be asked again tomorrow however, and unless he comes out and says specifically there will be no changes, I would think there’s a good chance something will happen.

– Some comments by team president Michael Bidwill during a pre-game radio interview Sunday:

On the season overall: “We did not expect to go in and have the losing streak we had, to have the offense struggle, to have the defense break down at times. I think this offseason will be dedicated to how we get better. What are the types of players we build around? What are some of the other things we can do? (We need to) make sure we provide the best Cardinal football we can.”

On specific problems: “We’ve got some areas to shore up. Obviously quarterback play was a big issue for us this year. We’ve got to get more out of our running game, we’ve got to get more out of our defense. Our defense has got to be able to stop opposing offenses on third down.”

Bidwill said the coaches will evaluate the whole roster in the next few days and then the decision-makers will meet later in the week to determine the path of the offseason.

– Not a good day for DRC. Three penalties (one was declined) and he gave up three passes of at least 20 yards. “You’re always frustrated when someone catches a ball on you,” he said. “They played well. They came out fired up, and they wanted it more bad than we did.” Rodgers-Cromartie already acknowledged his year hasn’t been the best. He needs a big rebound performance in 2011.

– Larry Fitzgerald only had 79 catches coming into the game. It’s stunning he got to 90 for the season – becoming the first player in NFL history to have at least 90 catches in five of his first seven seasons. Fitz is one of only four players in NFL history to have at least four straight seasons of 90-plus catches, joining Torry Holt (6), Marvin Harrison (5) and Jerry Rice (4).

– About not throwing to Fitz … 17 targets? They started throwing to him despite double-coverage. And he made several Fitz catches. Shades of his 2008 playoff run, I thought.

TE Stephen Spach said his calf injury was just something that would keep him out a couple of weeks. So nothing huge, but incredibly bad timing.

– Faneca said he hasn’t made any retirement decisions. “I’m going to step away and think about things and talk with the wife, the boss and figure things out.”

– That’s it for tonight. The Cards have one final locker room availability tomorrow morning, then a meeting, then Whisenhunt will meet the media. Then an offseason of overhaul.

I’ll cover it all, so stay tuned.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

51 Responses to “49ers aftermath”

1. By Miguel on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

thanks Darren,
    especially since it was a tough year to watch every, single, play -

…i couldn’t do it

Happy New Year

2. By Jesse Robles on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

That game was ridiculous. It is good to hear Michael Bidwell say things like that! Actions speak louder than words though. Let’s get another draft like the last couple of drafts and a QB. We just need a few more pieces and some new coaches in certain areas. Pulling of Skelton was the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Wiz should never make a call on the QB at all, his judgement is really poor.

3. By Jenifersbodi on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Its nice to see Fitz achieve yet another amazing milestone in such a difficult year. Why would he ever leave? Its also good to hear from Bidwell. We’ll See how much there willing to spend to “shore up” this team. I mean they have sold out every game haven’t they? Increased TV ratings? Time will tell.

4. By Brandon LA on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

nice blow out to end the season. Larry at least played till the end. Cardinals need to earn some respect back.

5. By Phoenixraven1 on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for the updates Darren, I sat in a Vegas lounge absolutely disgusted at the Cards play. Comtemplating my season ticket holder status…Alas I will call the season a hickup an hope this was just “any given Sunday” rearing it’s ugly head…how can we have so many player makers yet play so bad? Hopefully that’s the real bottom line!

6. By Old Man Riva on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

How about this…I am the first to comment on the “aftermath” of the whiners game/season. I said a few weeks back I wasn’t going to say anything negative, but now that the season is over, and that vow has been lifted. Since the season overall was one of the worst in recent years, I won’t say a thing about specific games but I will name the players who DID NOT show up to play this year. If anyone disagrees, say why if you don’t mind. The losers for 2010 are…Any QB we have (can anyone honestly say that not letting Matt Leinart throw one regular season pass was a wise move?), Beanie Wells, Early Doucet, practically our entire defense, including the DC. That almost names the team and might as well include the coaching staff as well. A sad, sad return to the long accustomed throne of mediocrity that we have occupied so long. Will the Big Red rebound in 2011? If history repeats, probably not. Perhaps by 2017 we may get back to .500 but that is unlikely since the world is going to end in a little less than 2 years. I am so glad this season is over and so angry that this team played like crap once again. Hope all you millionaires have a wonderful off season celebrating. I do have to say big congrats to Mr. Larry Fitzgerald, Mr. Steve Breason, Mr. Hyphen, Mr. Feely, Mr. Graham, Mr. Schofield, Mr. Roberts and all the fans who sat through this season of sheer torture. Hey Michael Bidwill…why don’t you hop in your jet and fly to the moon and don’t forget to take your dad and plenty of ice cream. Last but certainly not least…did we have a tight end this year?

7. By Tyrelle on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

We need a veteran QB. I do not want Kevin Kolb here. I do not want to see the front office wait until May and kick people out the door. It needs to happen right now.

8. By dan trevino on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

darren

even with the struggles this season i think we cn take a few things from it. kerry wasnt a pre maddonna like he was said to be. he would be the defensive player of the year for the cards. and its admirable to see that fitz played hard til the last second. but with our QB situation n larry coming up to a contract year wouldn’t it be the right thing to actually pursue the most athletic QB on the market or in the draft? larry needs someone to throw the ball to him n a speedy QB would help because our line issue isnt going to get fixed in 1off season. what do you think are the possibility of the cards trading down a couple spots, picking up a few mid round draft picks and at around 14 swooping and taking cam newton?

9. By Ultimate Cards on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

How can a team who just ran out Anderson, Hall, Skelton, and Bartel dismiss McNabb, a QB who has played in 5 NFC Championships and a Super Bowl and instead be so enamored over a backup to Joe Flacco who hasn’t been effective in years? If Whiz does not like McNabb wouldn’t that mean that he is probably the best option considering Whiz’s poor talent evaluation skills? Time to strip Whizzy of play calling and all personnel decisions ASAP, fire Davis. Go make Whiz sit in the corner. Time for some humble pie. Best move would be to fire him, but we all know they won’t do the right thing and eat the contract.

10. By ross on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Nice to finally have zero losses again.

11. By Chris on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Need a qb that Whisenhunt has worked with befor. Some one who can teach Skelton alot more about how professional nfl offenses work. With time, Skelton can be very good. He also needs better offensive line men.

12. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

“I learned a lot this year myself,” coach Ken Whisenhunt said.

VERY, VERY important for me to finally hear him say that. Gives me hope that Whiz will coach with more of a sense of urgency and hold players and coaches to a higher standard next year.

13. By NJAzCardsFan on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Thankfully that ugly, pathetic nightmare is over…..

After watching the Seahawks/Rams I wonder how much better the Cards would have been if they signed Whitehuurst rather than Disaster Always.
    This team needs alot of improvement in many areas starting with a “real” QB and a new DC. It will be interesting to see how many/what off-season changes are made. Or is it going to be the same BS next year??? I sure hope not….

14. By JohnyMack on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

From what i seen John Skelton should compete for the starting job next year.

15. By joe67 on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Very fitting ending to this season!
    In some ways maybe better like this. A win over Dallas and then the Niners, may have given some false hope that this team was coming around. NO WAY!
    This is a bad team, some good players but a bad team. In over 40 years a fan, I have been thru some frustrating years, but this is the most frustrating ever.
    I like Coach Wiz. He made some bad decisions (in hindsight) but every coach does. This was a fragile team, and couldn’t overcome.
    The entire offensive line needs to be looked at!!!! They are terrible!!!! And now I must admit, I wonder about Grimm as a Coach. Being a Hall of Fame Player does not make a great Coach. Been proven over and over again.

16. By Emm7777 on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Jesse you are right. I havE never been so angry with whiz than when he pulled skelton. Did he really think we would discover something with bartel?! Whiz play calling is so incredibly predictable no wonder we had offensive problems.

17. By reap37 on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Another horrible loss. I’m going to wait and see what the coaches and management do to revamp this mess. Until I feel some confidence in what they’re doing, I have no intention of renewing my season club tickets.

18. By Christo on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

It’s Monday morning why has Bill Davis not been fired yet?

Announcement on Whiz relinquishing OC duties?

The departure of Russ Grimm?

We can’t even really talk about players to pick up yet. But how about a replacement for DRC? The Veteran QB to come in and push Skelton, better not be another has been like Bulger.

Let’s go Cards Nation (And Darren) keep the pressure on the FO. This year was PATHETIC and major changes should be seen, Carolina and Cleveland have already started their purge, what are we waiting for?

19. By TucsonTim on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Kind of hard to get a running game going when you don’t call the play. Cards were #32 in attempts per game, yet #10 in avg/attempt.

20. By TUCCARDS00 on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

What can you say? This has definitely been one of those years that you want back. Here is my two cents moving forward. John Skelton seems to have the tools to develop and move forward in the 2011 season. I would suggest getting a veteran QB that he can learn from. The offensive line, tight-ends, running backs have been lousy at best in pass protection, and the O-line and tight-ends have been inconsistent in run blocking. If we are going to continue to coach a line that plays like this, then get Dan Marino to teach the QBs how to get rid of the ball in 2 seconds or less. As for the defense? DAMN. With all the Cardinals organization did to put you in a position to be competitive. This was an up and down effort all year. I thought the defensive backs would have had a great year in shutting the passing games down. To get beat for so many 20+ yard receptions has been upsetting to watch. The lone pro-bowler is a horrific coverage player. I would agree with the fans on this one in the moving of Wilson to Middle linebacker.

21. By Rich on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Good job this year, under difficult circumstances and a lot of us pretty cranky. Thanks for staying on top of everything for the fans.
    Have had season tix since Glendale; but really gonna watch what the team does in the offseason before re-committing.
    Would love to see us have one, accountable offensive coordinator (not a run co, a pass co, a head coach that calls, etc). Also, would love to see us grab Fox to head up the defense. Besides QB, we need more pass rush, a tight end, etc.
    Biggest difference in the 2010 Cards vs 2009 Cards was “giving up”. This year’s team gave up many times when behind…pretty easy to see.
    Thanks again for the good work all season.

22. By Wampag on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

UGH

23. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

After listening to this morning’s, “Into the Red Zone” with Whiz, sounds like no veterans are safe. Wondering if Adrian Wilson could be on the trading block. He’s been a HUGE liability in pass coverage the last two years, and it’s only getting worse.

24. By Larry White on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Hi Darren

I don’t know about anyone else but I sure was disapointed with DRC all year long. He got burned all season long. Sure he had moments but his play has been spotty all year.

25. By Ben on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for everything this season Darren. Yesterday was the lowest point in my Cardinals fan-hood since I can remember. I have never felt that bad before. And after feeling like that I would have no problem with Whiz getting fired. If he stays then he needs to start laying down the ax. Starting with BD and Grimm. Then start with the players, Levi Brown would be at the top of the list.

Sorry I just hate this team right now. Loved it last year and feel like the whole mentality has changed. It starts with our take no responsibility coach that thinks a couple of “missed opportunities” are to blame for week in week out blowouts.

But this was supposed to be a thank you letter to you. So sorry about the negativity. And I look forward to reading all your posts in the off-season.

26. By Joeshmo on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Daren,

I think in one of your blogs or tweets you talked about doing a piece on the Cards up coming free agents. You think you can add to that the coaches who are also going to be “free agents”. I know they did some extensions last off season but I don’t think all of them got one or didn’t except one right?

Thanks

27. By cheesebeef on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Michael Bidwill an eat sand after the team payroll went from 115 million to 85 million this past season. Take a look in the mirror Bidwill and realize the problems start with YOU AND YOUR FATHER. It’s hard to have good QB and Defense play when both of those positions were gutted in the off-season and replaced with garbage… or nothing at all.

28. By Brad Oneill on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

i hope the cuts to the staff and team come fast. There is no reason to make people wait through an offseason that shouldn’t be back. These are tough decisions that severly affect peoples lives so i will not speculate on who should stay and who should go.

The one definite change that needs to be made is we need an offensive coordinator to call plays next year. So our head coach can concentrate on his duties. There were way too many mistakes made on play calls that did not give our team a chance to succeed. I would go back over and over to all the 3rd and shorts where a struggling qb was asked to complete a 2 yard pass. yes it is their job but its the coordinators job to give us the highest percent chance to convert and whiz did not do that.

I seriously doubt russ grimm will get serious consideration for coaching in carolina, his performance this year was not conducive to success. this may have been whiz’s fault as well as the line was not given ample time to gel thanks to his head games preseason and his insistence on players being in shape before camp or they are demoted to the point that it hurt our team.

While im busy ripping on coach whiz i would have to say his handling of the qb situation was atrocious all the way from the preseason disaster to the in season changes. It was obvious to the untrained eye that derek was inaccurate to the point of getting people injured even in the preseason and to stick with him so long was detrimental. i know whiz didnt have any good options and he wanted to give the guy a chance but i would have liked to have seen more max or skelton way before we were eliminated from playoff contention.

that said I have faith in WHiz as a head coach and I think he will learn from what I perceive are his mistakes. He may not agree with my assessment but I hope he at least considers some of the points.

I was very happy with our draft class this year even the ones who are now starting for other teams.

a lock out would be disastrous for a young team, which we will be next year. it wouldn’t surprise me to see the cardinals making a ton of moves involving draft picks in the offseason accumulating some late round picks and moving our second and third round pick back a bit.

our first pick should be a qb- cam newton would be a godsend but mallet or locker would improve our situation.

second pick should be a replacement for the offensive line that is the area that cost us the most games this year.

i believe our problems on defense where largely due to exhaustion, our defense was on the field way too much and during our 4 million game losing streak you could really see the fatigue hurting an otherwise exceptional unit.

I also believe Dockett may have been hiding an injury earlier in the year, he was not himself at all until the end of the season. The guy is an absolute game changer when he is firing on all cylinders and i still think our defensive line has the potential to be the best in the league. campbell took a step back but I think his future is very bright and williams has exceeded my expectations.

that leaves me drafting linebackers and a backup safety. OF course that could change if we trade beanie wells or don’t lock up Breaston like we should.

I guarantee if we let beanie go he will be another thomas jones out there destroying defenses for another team while cards fans scratch their heads wondering why we let him go.

i think i have set a new personal best for typing the most words that probably wont be read but hey its the offseason what the hell else do i have to do.

PS Darren will you lose your job or be laid off in the event of a lock out????

29. By Alex on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

With the possibility of coaching changes and several head coaches being fired… is there any possibility of getting them. Singletary would be good for a Linebacking coach or as a Defensive Coordinator if Billy Davis is fired. John Fox or Mangini would be a good Offensive Coordinator. Any chance of picking any of them up? Next, Free Agents, I don’t think the Eagles will give up Kolb just in case Vick pulls off another stunt to get him suspended from the league so there’s little chance of getting him. If he does become available, would the Cardinals consider picking him up? He grew behind one of the great QB’s in the league grew with some talented WR’s. Sounds like Leinart, but Kold has proven himself. He did beat the Falcons who were on a winning streak. I heard TO’s being let go off sometime and so is Ochocinco…. To compliment Fitzgerald?? Breaston is a great guy yes, plays hard finishes the play, but, he’s a great 3 WR and a good 2.
    And Finally, the Draft. I believe the cardinals are the number 5 spot in this years draft. Any chance of Cam Newton, Luck or any of the other “Franchise” QB’s this year?

30. By Jeff Gollin on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

It’s a tough time of year – especially for those of us kept urging Cardinal fans to “hold their water and refrain from negative criticism until we see how things work out.”

Well, now we know, and it would be criminal negligence not to call ‘em the way we see ‘em.

Biggest gaffe of the year (and perhaps the past half-decade) has been the QB situation – i.e. the decision to draft Leinart, the failure to develop Leinart and the releasing of Leinart without a sound Plan B to fall back on. You could argue that QB was the “lead domino” that caused everything else to unravel.

It’s also time to look realistically at our offensive line (since it is hard for young QB’s to operate effectively without a running attack to fall back on or pass blockers to protect them). I respect Russ Grimm’s body of work over the years, but where are the results? This unit has underperformed – it seems like – forever. Six sacks yesterday. Another sub-100 yard running day.

I’ve also been fearful of a front office MO under Rod Graves that sometimes falls into the rut of going along to get along and doing the appropriate thing on paper instead of pro-actively going out and fixing things that are broke.

Do we need to fire a bunch of people? (I dunno – I think firing is overrated anyway). Do we need to change the way we make key player personnel decisions, listen more to the wise people on our staff and listen less to FO staffers who’ve proved to be on the wrong side of history? You bet.

Finally – for what it’s worth – I like Skelton and Bartel. (Which isn’t to say we don’t need at least one veteran who can consistently move our offense while we wait for the 2 youngsters to maybe or maybe not develop).

As to whether we should roll the dice on a QB with our #5 pick this April – Only if everyone on board is 100% in love with the kid in every way. Otherwise, we might be better advised to get healthy at LT or snap up the next Lawrence Taylor, Matthews or Laurinaitis if one happens to be available in the Spring.

31. By TBru on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

“Faneca said he hasn’t made any retirement decisions. ‘I’m going to step away and think about things and talk with the wife, the boss and figure things out.’ ”

Hope he gave Kurt Warner proper compensation as a speech writer

32. By JR on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Well, at least the season is over. It’s good it was a blowout, because now we know beyond any doubt that a near total makeover is needed and the owners, coaches and players can get on with it without any lingering thoughts that “we just have to make a few changes”. As much as I don’t like losing to the hated 49ers, it would have been worse to beat them and have them get a lower draft pick than us. Thanks, Darren, for keeping us informed. I look forward to your future comments as the off- season unfolds.

33. By Mike Ellingboe on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Had to laugh about about the “only” 79 catches comment, but for Fitz I suppose it’s true. I do think it’s obvious that he should be our Pro Bowl rep.

According to John Clayton (for what it’s worth) we’re looking to go the route of getting someone like Kolb rather than to draft and develop a rookie. Have you heard anything about the thought process of the FO on this? While this will mean even less than Clayton’s report, I think it would be a mistake to overlook the talent pool of QB’s that are likely to be available at #5.

34. By JR on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

One more thing. I’m guessing this won’t happen, but if I were the coach I would think about involving my key players in discussions about what went wrong and how we need to improve, players you know you are going to keep. The key players, in my opinion, are Fitz and Hightower on offense, Dockett and Wilson on defense and The Hyphen and Feeley on special teams.

35. By Darren Urban on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Dan –

RE: Draft

At this point, all options are going to be considered.

36. By WE LIKE WAR GEORGE CARLIN on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

@ Adam

Do you know that it’s less than a 1% chance that a kicker misses an extra point, less than 1%

So for the sake of not ruling out the impossible, let’s just say the chances of
    M. Singletary being the DC for the Cardinals are as good as E. Mangini
    coaching for B.Belichick.

But if you are interested in someone who could come in and be a good DC, I would suggest taking a look at D. Bumpas (TCU) he’s new , innovative and may very well be the D. Lebeau of college footall, J. Mcdaniels as OC probably wouldn’t hurt either.

OH! by the way you said this team “BEAT” the Saints and Cowboys I guess you think they “BEAT” the Raiders too, Adam just because you win a game
    doesn’t mean you “BEAT” your opponent.

“BEAT” is what the 49ers did to this team yesterday!

37. By Darren Urban on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Joeschmo –

RE: Coaches

I do not know for sure. I believe Mike Miller’s contract is up, and the rest have deals. But I’d have to look into it.

38. By Darren Urban on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Brad –

RE: Lockout and myself

At this point, I will be around. I am hoping there will also be players around so I can write about something other than CBA negotiations.

39. By Darren Urban on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Mike –

RE: QBs

As I have said many times, nothing is off the table right now in terms of options considered.

40. By Christo on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Bill Davis NEEDS to be FIRED. There is no reason to delay this. Prospects need to know that we are an OPTION for them. Seriously the guy shouldn’t have gotten the job in the first place. What about San Fran suggested he could do it here?

Why has this not happened yet?

Every other 5 Win team has news breaking about their Head Coaching staff, their OC’s, their DC’s.

The players are a given, and nothing can be done about them at the moment.

The Coaching staff and FO can be working right now. Forget this “less than 24 hours” nonsense Whiz.

Billy Davis is 12 games past due already, that is ignoring the playoffs last year.

Grimm, done. Don’t tell us that there is no one better in the league at what he does. Have you SEEN our O Line?

Whiz as OC? Should be done, good year was with Haley. Since, ALL DOWN HILL.

41. By Logan Cooper on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

I have laid of the questions for a while because you had enough illogical questions to answer this year with this losing season. Now that the season is over and my frustration has faded I gave a couple questions regarding the team.

To me, one of the most important aspects in football are making adjustments to your team throughout the season and during games. It seemed as though this is where the Cardinals really had a tough time doing this on both offense and defense.

On offense we had unproven QB’s at center yet we passed the ball at a higher ratio then we did last year when we had Warner.In almost every aspect of the passing game we are among the worst in the league.
    In the running game we were the worst in yards but 8th in YPC. Yet through all of this their were no adjustments to seriously commit to the run to where it became effective. The two games we ran the ball consistently we won. (saints, denver)
    I also understand some game we were not able to run it. (mainly because we passed ourselves out of the game)
    I am honestly baffled at the blatant refusal to commit to, at least, being more of a balanced team.
    Do you have any insight on this?

The defense side of the ball was similar, not in stats, but more so the failure of adjustments. Whiz had mentioned we have brought in the personnel for a 3-4 yet we have clearly excelled in the 4-3 look. It has come out of necessity because of injuries but whiz still has mentioned going to a 4-3 is not going to happen. Yet the personnel that we have (besides haggans, porter) are all 4-3 guys: lenon, dockett, campbell, schofield.
    If the team plays better with a 4-3 why not go with what works?
    Why not go with a 4-3 with 3-4 looks at times instead of vice versa?

If it is possible we should hire John Fox as defensive coordinator, IF, Davis is fired.

Thanks.

42. By cards62 on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Dearest Cardinal Fans

You all make good points, but we must have hope for next year as we are fans. I am not blind and I said the season was lost before game one when we cut Leinart, not that Leinart was great, but it just showed we did not have a clue for the season. I am not ready to give up on Whisenhunt yet as he is still a young head coach and they do make mistakes so I am hoping he learns a lot from his huge mistakes this year and that his bosses Rod Graves and Mike Bidwill do a better job, but I have to tell you I am not too impressed with Mike Bidwill comments on the NFC West. Everyone is better and we must improve our game to return to the top of the perch. The NFC West is the out house and laughing stock of the entire NFL. All we needed to win the west this year was an offensive coordinator and a quarterback. I think our greatest needs next season in priority.
    1) Offensive Coordinator (Still hoping SD is stupid and fiires Norv Turner)
    2) SIgn at least 2 veteran quarterbacks that we do not have to give up any draft picks for or only a 6th rounder or later (Bulger, Orton, and there will be several othters to sign) I would not even give up our 5th pick, 1st round for Kevin Kolb, too risky. I am okay with drafting Luck, Newton, or Mallet.
    I have not given up on Skelton, but will not risk my seaon on him.
    3) New offensive line coach (Sorry but it is just not working and we have waited long enough. Attitude reflects leadership or the lack there of.)
    4) An elite nose tackle or go back to the 4 – 3 defense
    5) Excellent left tackle and move Levi Brown to left guard ( I retire Faneca )
    6) Excellent outside linebacker
    7) A real tight end like I wanted last year. We could have had Aaron Hernandez who had a good rookie year splitting time in NE but we took Roberts instead.
    8) Resign Breaston and Hightower and make Hightower carry the ball with him all offseason no matter where he goes.
    9) Experience CB that could be our 1st, 2nd, or 3rd corner but he has a Red Foreman mentality and he sticks his foot up DRC’s ass as needed.
    10) The old A. Wilson back or reduce his playing time.
    11) New defensive coordinator. Hire best available. Right now I like Wade Phillips but lets see who else is fired this week. Can someone tell me who was suppose to be covering Vernon Davis on his touchdown as he was so wide open I could not tell who blew the assignment?
    12) Rookie runningback with punt and kick return abilites.
    13) Inside linebacker
    14) Center
    15) right tackle
    This is my wish list for 2011. I just want to see the front office make numerous moves this off season to show us fans that they are committed to the Cardinals like we are. We fans do need to be patient because of no CBA, but if the right coach or player comes along we must jump on them CBA or no CBA.
    Go Cards return to our winning ways in 2011

43. By Darren Urban on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Logan –

RE: Running game/Defense

1) Insight? Probably not, although I think to point to the games in which they won and ran — NO and Denver — isn’t everything. In both those games they led the whole way. Tell me the run/pass breakdown in the first half of Denver, for instance. If you are up double-digits late, you are going to run late to run clock and that’s going to skew the stats, just as throwing a lot late when you are behind will. That said, I am a little surprised they didn’t run more, but by the same token, I’m not sure it would have made a large difference in the outcomes of games.

2) They played a chunk of 4-3 yesterday. How’d that work out?

I disagree those players mentioned are better in the 4-3. In fact, Schofield in particular probably wouldn’t have a place in a 4-3, because he is too light to be an NFL 4-3 end.

44. By Alex on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

I like the fact that Fitzgerald surpassed last years receiving total. It shows how much this offense needs him. Even without Warner he did great, at the latter part of the season. I r eally hope the Cardinals give him another extension during this offseason. He deserves it. Beanie Wells, get over your injuries over this offseason. Dont get hurt in the preseason. nor Hightower. We NEED these to players. Next season we’re going to hit the ground running and we’re going to trample our opponents with the quickness of Hightower and the power of Wells. To whomever our QB may be, good luck. Get it to Fitz early and often because from what I’ve seen every time he gets it… good things happen. If that fails go to your number 2 man. That fails, you got legs RUN! That’s what was wrong with our QB’s this year… that and their inconsistency… they always stood in the pocket. If you’re in trouble run away. Well lets forget about this season, we can’t do anything about it. What’s done is done. Lets get another great Draft, pick up some good guys off of free agency.. Kolb, some QB who’s good and should be even better with Fitzgerald and who knows… maybe even Ochocinco and TO (Not the best personalities, but good players) unlike Moss these 2 don’t quit. Lets pick up another Lineman to shore up the problems with our O line. Find another Defensive Coordinator. I like Billy Davis, I really do, but It doesn’t seem like the players play hard for him. Either they actually got beat or they gave up on to many plays. Maybe we can keep him, just move him to another position. Finally Whisenhunt. Don’t let the fans get to you. You’ve done amazing things for us. You took us from the laughing stock of the NFL to a team that’s earning respect. We went from 3-13 to a 8-8 season then 9-7 and a superbowl to 10-6. You’re a great coach. One bad year and all the fans freak. These guys aren’t real fans. Sure you can get upset, but when you start saying things about the guy who turned you around from being a laughingstock to a team to be feared, they’re terrible fans.

45. By Logan Cooper on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Schofield wants to be at 245 while playing, i know he lost weight from his injury and 245 is about the same size as robert mathis.
    Regardless, I wasn’t meaning for schofield (comparable in size with lance briggs) to be an end, he would be a perfect outside linebacker with Daryl Washington.
    Talk about sideline to sideline speed at backer.

Here is what the D could look like.
    Safety- Rhodes, Wilson
    CB-DRC, Toler
    MLB- Lenon, FA
    OLB- Washington, Schofield
    DE- Dockett, Campbell,
    DT- Williams, FA, Draft pick

Lenons two best years besides this one, were under a 4-3 scheme. If we found another big boy like Dan Williams, which if we didn’t draft on the offensive side their will be a great one at #5.

That would be an amazing front four. Fast, young, outside backers and we are one corner away from having a pretty good secondary. The lack of pressure did not help our secondary out at all either.

Now if we could just do something about a D.C.
    For the love of all that is holy, if Marvin Lewis gets fired we have got to hire him as our defensive coordinator.

Brian Billick as O.C by any chance?

Marvin Lewis D.C of one of the greatest defenses ever (200 ravens) and Brian Billick O.C of one greatest offenses ever. (98 vikings)

That would be an amazing coaching staff.

It’s up to you now Darren to make all this happen by asking all the right and questions to make everyone accountable. HA HA!!
    Pat your delusional.

46. By SeeingRed on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

After hearing Whiz talk about some players who have been sentimental favorites but who’s time has probably run out here in AZ -A few names come to mind of who prob wont be here:

G Hayes,
    M Ware (didn’t even notice him this season-literally),
    B-Rob,
    Any one (or 2) of the O-line guys Sendlein, Brown?
    Porter
    Haggans? (could stay)

Those are the established Vets who will most likely be on chopping block…Those who WILL go- no question:
    Hall
    Anderson
    McBride
    Bartel (maybe training camp cut)

Those who will prob stay but better show something this next season (including preseason) or it may be their last with the Cards:
    DRC
    Toler
    Campbell
    Branch (needs to make leap)
    O-Line (whoever is left)
    R Johnson (better keep improving)
    Keith

47. By SeeingRed on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Also add to most likely released/cut: Spach, Patrick (one or both)

Forgot my “untouchables” list IMO:

Hyphen
    Fitz
    Breaston
    Dockett
    Wilson
    Feely
    Graham
    Rhodes (a keeper)

and u have to keep all the young guys Schofield, Skelton, Roberts, Williams, Washington, etc etc…and keep M Adams, J Wright

Oh, and add Doucet to the list of “maybe final year if he doesn’t show a lot” next season

48. By AndyStandsUp on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

In the plays that I watched in the 4-3 seemed to be stiffer defense than the 3-4 and there had to be a reason why the staff chose tp play that alignment for a good majority of the plays.
    And I doubt that missing Porter was a main consideration.

49. By Eazy E on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

The season is over. Our QB situation is a mess and the worst in the league. Running game didn’t matter because the game really got away in the third quarter. Larry Fitzgerald is freaking amazing, still having 90 balls, 1,136 yards, and 6tds with horrible QB play. Offensive Line tackles needs help, put Levi back at RT, and sign or draft a true LT not that Levi is terrible, he’s ok maybe good at times but needs more consistency. Overall Offensive Line as a group needs work. Defense didn’t get it done yesterday and really the whole season they weren’t consistent enough. Pass rush wasn’t great either all year long. DRC didn’t have as good a year or better than last year’s pro bowl year but not worried about him, i’m expecting a major comeback from him. We need a CB opposite him like a champ bailey. Kerry had a great year and A-Wil will have an even better year even though this year wasn’t his best. Feely did a phenomenal job kicking this year as well as graham punting. The Hyphen got snubbed for the pro bowl and had a terrific year also.

50. By Eazy E on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

1,137 yards receiving for Fitz my bad

51. By Stuck In Texas on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

This team will alway be what it is untill a change in ownership!Just ask Patriots fans.