Hyphen, Patrick, Porter sit UPDATE Spach out

Posted by Darren Urban on January 2, 2011 – 12:43 pm

UPDATE: TE Stephen Spach hurt his left calf in warmups — after inactives came out — so he can’t play today. Jim Dray is the lone tight end. It’ll be interesting if long snapper Mike Leach gets a chance to play a little tight end today. It’s an injury that obviously hurts.

LaRod Stephens-Howling won’t get a chance to add to his NFL-leading kickoff return yardage today. He’s one of the Cards’ inactives, still nursing his hamstring injury after pre-game work showed it to be a no-go. Andre Roberts will return kicks in his place. And as expected, LB Joey Porter (tricep) will sit again, with O’Brien Schofield playing in his place. Tight end Ben Patrick (hamstring) is also sitting out after testing his leg out pre-game. The rest of the inactives:

• QB Derek Anderson (third QB)
  • CB A.J. Jefferson
  • CB Marshay Green
  • LB Gerald Hayes
  • C Ben Claxton

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

40 Responses to “Hyphen, Patrick, Porter sit UPDATE Spach out”

1. By R Robles on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

Go Cardinals kick some Niner butt!!!!!!!!

2. By AndyStandsUp on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

If the Cards lose, they’ll have the 4 or 5 pick(depending on Denver). if they win they’ll have the 7 or 8 choice(awaiting the Dallas game).
    I think I’d rather see some SF rearend kicking.

3. By TucsonTim on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

Russ Grimm, one more reason not to renew your season tickets. And the hype about him being an NFL head coach, why??? has anyone looked at our O-line, can’t run block, can’t pass block, can’t stay set for a snap in a half empty stadium. What a joke.

4. By Lone-Eagle on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,

First of all, Happy New Year!! 2nd of all, what happened to the O-line, did they even make the trip?? I can already see them blaming Skelton for this game, but as far as I have seen so far, they haven’t even given him a chance. The niners defense is getting through clean and just knocking Skelton around, and the only one I see on Defense even trying is Wilson. What on earth is DRC doing, cause he’s not playing CB? He has gotten easily beat twice!! more to come later!

5. By Michael on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

Darren pls answer my question, PLEASE! Why haven’t the Cards tried to re sign Hightower?? He’s our best back, Beanie hasn’t done anything to prove he’s better. we need to keep some of this guys!

6. By Adam on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

Please!! Please!! Please!! Go after Mike Singletary to be the Defensive Coordinator for the Cardinals. He will be the best out there. If the team can get him the Cardinals will have a legitimate chance to get back on track to go to the playoffs. Billy Davis is not the answer!! Billy Davis is a very good Linebackers coach and not a DC. Bring in Singletary and put Billy Davis back on the linebackers and this Defensive will be sick!!! Singletary will not allow the things that Billy Davis allows the guys to do. It will be for the better.
    This Coaching staff needs a tough guy like Singletary. Every coach on the team is too soft. Todd Haley was the toughness that the coaches had. Now his energy needs to be replaced. Mr. Bidwell please spend whatever you have to make Singletary the DC. If Whiz keeps Billy Davis they can expect the same results next season.
    This team has the talent to beat anyone that is why they beat the Saints and Cowboys. But the coaches are inconsistent in their teaching and discipline in practice, thats why the team plays this way. Somebody back me on this one!! And if you hate the 49ers, Billy Davis came from there. The Cardinals need Mike Singletary. Today is his last game. Go after him!!!!!!

7. By Adam on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

I don’t want to hear anything about the lack of talent this team has when they beat the Saints and the Cowboys. The Saints are one of the well coached teams in the NFL and the Cowboys are one of the talented or the mosttalented team in the NFL and the Cards beat both of them. This goes back to coaching. This coaching staff is horrible. I’ll be back on Whiz’ team if he brings in Mike Singletary as a DC. This will make this team the favorite for the NFC west next year. Hands down!! This team needs a defensive mind and it’s lacking that very bad.

8. By cards62 on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

45 seconds to go in the 1st half and the 49ers have the ball 3rd and 10 on our 42 yard line with no time outs left and they run the ball and let the clock run out.
    I do not think the 49ers care if they win this game. Our run defense is playing very well and Alex Smith is having success throwing the ball so why didn’t the 49ers try to pass?

Our offense and special teams not playing well and not giving our defense much help this game.

I think we have a good chance to win this game, but I just hope Skelton plays well in the second half, but we lose the game as I think draft choices next year are more important to us then a meaningless win this year. Even thou my disdain for the 49ers is greater than the Cowboys. I would rather beat the 49ers and Seahawks twice next season.

A great player will be available at the 5th pick and If we do not want the 5th pick we can always trade down for more picks.

Happy New Year to all Cardinal Fans

9. By TucsonTim on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

If Russ Grimm gets hired as a head coach or fired as an O-line coach, does Chad stay?

10. By TucsonTim on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

I forgot to mention that the Cards are #31 in rushing and Grimm is the “Running Game Co-ordinator”. Just one more thing to add to his resume, unless of course the Seahawks have a big rushing day and the Cards finish #32.

11. By TucsonTim on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

Mora, very critical of the play calling.

12. By Jesse Robles on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

Way to GIve Up CARDS!! Act like you want to win, but give no effort. We are back to our Pre-Warner Era!!

13. By Andrew Luck Fan on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

Looks like we are getting a top five pick wiith the lackluster performance against the 49ers. Cards managment please not blow it like you did with Levi Brown he stinks

14. By TucsonTim on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

Embarassing

15. By Joe daddy on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

Levi Brown is useless. He’s one of the worst LT in the league. Can we PLEASE
    not keep him just because we wasted a high draft pick on him….

16. By Scott H on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

Oh, for Christ sakes, does Brian Westbrook have a friggin’ force field around him that prevents the Cardinals from tackling him??? It sure seems that way. This is pathetic. This guy has has two great games this year – both against the Cardinals – and that’s it. Then again, how many other players / teams have had their ONLY shining moments of this season against the Cardinals??? I swear, this team is the friggin Bob Hope of the NFL…they’ve been right there to provide every damn charitable service that every team has needed when they’ve played us.

It serves me right for hoping that this team might just give us a happy ending to this season. Instead…just another kick in the gut. Just call me Charlie Brown for letting Lucy yank the ball away from me one more time…

If Bill Davis still has his job this time tomorrow, then he’s kept it longer than he would have if I were running this team.

17. By D.Burban on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

Without a doubt, the Cardinals are the worst coached team in the NFL this year. Without a doubt, out coached in every game this year. Pathetic.
    The draft will not fix that problem. A new quarterback is not going to solve the problem either, unless he can coach the defense and call his own plays.

18. By Ron on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

Whiz need to change the QB coach. This is only team that even a rookie is having problem producing. You guys should have gotten Mike Martz instead. I feel sorry for the defense can’t get any rest. Sorry for my comment but it is very prostrating!

19. By Bill L on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

DA is Better than Matt
    Hall is Better than DA
    Skelton is Better than Hall
    Bartel is Better than Skelton

This total Joke of a season brought to you by the Bloated ego of Whiz!!!

20. By Lone-Eagle on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

All I can say is WOW!! I didn’t see this coming. I really expected the Cards to play with alot more heart, and of course it is being blamed on Skelton!! Yes there were a few passes that were inaccurate, but the O-line flat out sucked today and played with no HEART whatsoever. They played as though they just want to go home!! Today’s play was pathetic, and very undisciplined football!! Entirely too many stupid penalties. I am really looking forward to seeing what kind of over-haul this team takes care of! I think right now even the Cards are embarrassed!! WOW this was ugly!! What more is there to say!

21. By SeeingRed on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

Absolutely pathetic. Cant do anything right and the remedy will be to let fitz go and slash more money so we can keep drafting and bringing in mediocre role players. Thank God the season is over.

22. By CardiacCard on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

have you seen enough of bartel whisenhunt!

23. By Chuck 1 on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

I seem to have misplaced the Cards’ Fan Feedback e-mail address. Please tell me (and, other fans what it is).

I want to send a comment to the organization regarding the season.

Thanks

24. By AndyStandsUp on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

It took the Cards 4 QBs to throw 11 TDs and 18 INTs this season while Tom Brady was 34 and 4.

I’m beginning to see a corollary.

AZ QBs have to grow longer hair and marry a supermodel.

25. By Chris on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

Are the Cardinals officially drafting 5th baring any trades? What other picks do they have?

26. By TucsonTim on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

Maybe next year we can go out and splurge on a UFL starting QB

27. By Big Red on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

I still say Skelton and Bartel to be on the team next year. Forget the other two QB’s. Find a veteran to work with the two young guns for one season.

28. By Getthefork on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

Fire Whiz and the whole staff. Time to start over.

29. By Chuck 1 on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

“Coach Ken Whisenhunt declined to get into the possibility of making changes on his coaching staff, saying “That’s not something I’m ready to talk about. I’m still hurting from this game.” But those are some of the considerations that will have to be made.”

“This division is getting tougher,” team president Michael Bidwill said before the game during a radio interview. “We’ve got to get a lot better to return to our perch at the top of the NFC West, and it’s a heck of a lot more fun to play in January than being done.”

That work begins immediately too. As frustrating as the year was, Whisenhunt said he has no interest in taking any time to regroup.

“I’m ready to get going and ready to get it fixed,” Whisenhunt said.”

What a joke by both Bidwill and Whiz!!!

Bidwill won’t spend money to keep/get the players necessary to “get a lot better to return to our perch at the top of the NFC West” and Whiz doesn’t know what to fix. As long as he has former AFC Central Division players, he is happy.

For you Cards fans who are optimistic about 2011, I feel sorry for you. It’ll be more of the same until the Bidwills sell the team and Graves and Whiz leave.

30. By jdcrow59 on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

Darren: Well now we know what results when you enter a season without a plan, an identity or any sense at all of what kind of team you were. When we heard about the new pittsburgh west, we didn’t realize they were talking about the Pirates. Last place in the most hapless division in football. Seems like old times, don’t it? Faneca., Porter, Anderson, There’s millions of dollars you can never get back. So if it’s Skelton next year or someone else. Pleae have a plan. If you want to run the ball find an offensive line that can run block. If your gonna be pass crazy then learn how to protect the QB. And now 7-9 is going to win the division. Couldn’t even win seven games with all the “talent” I have read about all season long. This offseason will tell the story. Do Graves and the powers that be try to build a quality roster? Or do they continue to bring in worn out players for that one last year. That policy has worked so well in the past that my money says that’s the way they go.

31. By Evan on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

Test drive this QB: http://tinyurl.com/2bx5jax (…and feel free to spread it around the office, Darren!)

32. By cardsalltheway on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

Ken W., is a depressant. He needs to go. How can anyone think he can win again when he can’t beat Mike Singletary, the 49ers with a new offensive coordinator. To top that off, against a new 49er head coach. Ken W. can’t coach the Cards out of a paper bag.

33. By brad oneill on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

that game reminded me of the last day of highschool. no one was really interested in being there and no one was sure exactly where they are going to be next year.

34. By TBru on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

40 days until pitchers and catchers report to spring training. Hopefully the Cubs can stay competitive and entertain me, at least until The Cards go back up the hill for training camp and we can start the cycle again.

35. By Darren Urban on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Michael —

RE: Hightower

He will be restricted. He will be back.

36. By Darren Urban on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Chuck 1 —

RE: Feedback

37. By Michael on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

ALRIGHT! Thanks Darren! Great job!

38. By Michael on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

I know if Hightower got enough carries he could go over 1000 yds EASY!

39. By UC on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

I am so glad to be seeing other TRUE Cardinals fans showing up here to vent their frustration about the way the team has been mismanaged this year by the coaching staff. It’s also encouraging to see so many fans who are able to think for themselves, and who refuse to swallow the pablum that King Whiz has shoveled out as excuses week after week for why the season collapsed.

Here’s where I think the organization is: Michael Bidwill made some mighty hefty offers to Dansby and Rolle before they left. In my opinion, those offers were both excessive, but the important thing is that he made them. For me, that gets him another year to PROVE that he’s good on his word and is willing to shell out the bucks to bring in quality players. As much as people understandably griped about the signings of Porter and Faneca, I actually liked the moves from the standpoint of bringing in leadership. However, let’s see if Michael is willing to spend money on good free agents who are NOT on the downside of their careers. If he’s willing to do that, then he gets kudos from me, and he will solve one of the Cardinals two problems.

That other problem, obviously, is King Whiz. At this point, I don’t really care how difficult it is to bring in a new head coach and implement a new system, I want King Whiz gone. It would be one thing if his errors were in regards to matters that simply involved strategic or personnel decisions. While those two subjects have certainly been problems this year, as I see it the main problem is that King Whiz has no integrity. As much as I did not care for Leinart’s personality, nor apparently did many other people, King Whiz sticking it to Leinart right before the season started screwed this team for the entire season, and that decision just reeks of personal pettiness, unprofessionalism, and incompetence. That decision, and others King Whiz has made throughout the season, have indicated to me that he sees the Cardinals as his personal little kingdom, and that he intends to run the team however he damn well pleases. No matter the results, no matter what obvious adjustments need to be made, no matter how blatantly reality reveals that his decisions have been poor. Well, we see how nicely that’s turned out.

The results of King Whiz’s leadership would be one thing if the Cardinals were a mediocre team with a mediocre coaching staff. But this team is loaded with talent, especially on defense. No team should have been able to run the ball on the Cards this year, because no team should have been able to get past the Cards’ FOUR defensive linemen in their obviously strongest 4-3 base set. With DRC engaged, Toler improved, the addition of Rhodes, and all-world AW roaming the field, passing on the Cards should have been dangerous, either in coverage or after the catch.

If the defense had been properly used, then the loss of Warner on the offensive side would have been manageable, because the defense was clearly good enough to give other teams serious problems. But the defense wasn’t used properly, and the offense wasn’t used properly, so all that talent was left to run around directionless, and that just makes me sick. It makes me sick to know, to KNOW, how good the talent on this year’s team was, and to KNOW that the team failed because of incompetent management.

D.Burban is right, a draft and a new QB are not going to solve this team’s problems next year. A good head coach, however, would.

40. By Chuck 1 on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for the Fan Feedback link.

You do a HELL of a job dealing with snarky fans like me.

Thanks.