We can talk QBs if you want

Posted by Darren Urban on January 5, 2011 – 3:23 pm

Let’s get this out of the way: I will be hosting a live chat tomorrow (Thursday) at 1 p.m. Arizona time so we can wrap up the season. You can link to the chat right here.

I know everyone keeps wanting to ask about potential quarterbacks, and that certainly can be a topic. But everyone should also understand I don’t know what’s going to happen and I don’t know enough about the incoming draftees (assuming all come out as expected). Andrew Luck will be the No. 1 pick of the Panthers. On that I have little doubt. After that, I don’t know. I don’t know if Cam Newton’s skills translate to the NFL, or if Ryan Mallett will be accurate enough, or if Blaine Gabbert is just a product of a spread offense. I like to get to the combine, when those players become the focus. Right now it’s other things.

Speaking of other things, there hasn’t been any other things here today, as much as everyone has been waiting for some things to happen. There have been meetings as expected, as coach Ken Whisenhunt talks to assistants and general manager Rod Graves. I will say this: If nothing happens by the end of the week staff-wise, you can feel confident no one is being fired. I’m sure people will want to talk about that subject too.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

156 Responses to “We can talk QBs if you want”

1. By BigCardintheDesert on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Ryan Mallet is gonna be your best option. Nebraska’s defense is one of the closest to a pro defense and look at what they did to Gabbert. I’m not sure if you want to take the baggage of Newton

2. By Chad on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

#5 is too high for any of those QBs (especially since it can be hit and miss with all those guys). Skelton can work for next year. We have HUGE holes at LB with guys getting ancient (Haggans, Porter, Hayes). We need a stud OLB/Pass rusher. Those are better locks at #5 then a QB.

3. By Tyrelle on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Well we shall see.

4. By D on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Even if Cam does well in the game on Monday, I don’t see any of the Luck leftover QB’s that deserve a #5 draft pick or could start in the NFL next year. Plus, with the labor unsettlement, these draft picks may not have much of a summer to learn anything from their new teams…
    Can you get Larry F to promise that we won’t leave after 2011?
    Thanks

5. By Cj on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

What are the chances of the Cardinal’s releasing Joey Porter?? I think he is past his prime. Thanks!

6. By Darren Urban on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

CJ —

RE: Porter

I think he is a prime candidate, given his 2011 salary, to be let go.

7. By Flood on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Nothing is a lock in the top 5. Mallett was up and down last night. I think he fits perfect with the Cardinals (he’ll already be used to receivers dropping passes that hit them in the hands.) I also wouldn’t mind seeing the top LT available at 5. We need to get Levi back over to the right side, NOW! I like our LB’s going forward. We need depth there but I like the starters in waiting in Obrien, Wash, Lenon, Will Davis, and even expect a bounce back from Hayes with a full offseason to get back to 100 percent. But we’ll see I guess.

8. By Pheenic Cromartie on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Darrren, I have no clue how, but somehow, you know exactly what us fans want to talk about/hear.

I’m hoping you’ll publish some QB articles too! Keep up the good work, and if you hear any inside scoops, let us know!

9. By darrel on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

want a pass rusher go google ,youtube ,whatever u want “dontay moch “!!! I played agaist him in highschool that’s all I’ll say

10. By D on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Maybe Cam Newton does so well and gets more hype that Buffalo takes him in the draft. What is Fitzpatrick worth? A 3rd round pick?

11. By darrel on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Cam just has the it factor ti him just like matt ryan did

12. By Catcher Freeman on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Draft Newton. Mallett looked bad against Alabama and Ohio State, Newton shredded Alabama… and he did it passing.

13. By Mulkdog on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Any chance you think the Cards could look at other position players such as DE/DT for the first round pick for the second year in a row? I was watching the Sugar Bowl last night and was very impressed with a kid named Cameron Heyward; son of Craig “Ironman” Heyward. I think you cant pass up on a guy like that, especially with his size 6’6 288 or so. He would fit in nicely with Cambell and Williams and Dockett

14. By Christo on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

It would be nice to trade down from #5 and perhaps gain an extra 2nd for Orton? Or do we take the Prince for our secondary? It was sad watching Cromartie get torched all year.

15. By Jesse Robles on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Wade Phillips is gone to the Texans, we need a new D-Coordinator+O-Coordinator. If we cannot get Luck, which we cannot, we need to get best position player available or trade it. Newton is such a flip of a coin, and all of the other QB’s, I’d rather Draft Matt Leinart if he was available. Our Defense needs to get vicious, and mean, stop playing soft pushy like DRC.

16. By TBru on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Can we talk about McNabb, Leinart or ask what it will take to get Kurt Warner to unretire? I don’t feel these topics have been adequately discussed this season .

I crack myself up sometimes.

17. By KyCardsfan on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Do u think the cards might go after skeltons brother in the draft, Stephen Skelton? We need a good TE…Just watched a YouTube video of his highlights from last year and he looks good! And u know there would be great chemistry between him and his bro.

18. By Peter in Canada on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Chad and D. Apart from Luck who won’t be around at 5, I don’t think any of the other QBs should be taken. We have too many holes to fill and hopefully at 5 we can get a ready for prime time player to fill one of them right away. We should bring in two veterans at the QB spot to go along with Skelton and let Hall and Anderson go.

19. By Jeremiah on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Personally I think that the Cardinals should trade a draft pick for a QB who has proven themselves in other football arenas. I am not impressed with Cam Newton’s abilities and think he will, at best, become a Tight End. Ryan Mallett might be a good addition from what I saw at the Sugar Bowl, considering we have receivers who know what to do when the ball hits them in the numbers.

And after The Whiz’s comments about not taking a QB based on past performances, let me just say that everybody thought Leinart was going to be great because of his highlight reel from USC. It did not translate well to the Cardinals passing offense. I think its a great idea to have QB’s salaries based upon job performance with options. Look how long the Panthers kept Delhomme based upon his first Super Bowl appearance. It doesn’t do well to have hope. We need players that continue to provide winnings. After all, if the Seahawks can go to playoffs with a LOSING record, who am I to NOT want better out of my team? I know they can do it.

20. By MikeG on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren–I don’t think anyone on the staff should be fired. I think we have a pretty good coaching staff. We need to tweek this roster and of course settle in on a QB. One mistake I believe that occurred during the year by the staff was being too loyal to veteran players!!! Veterans like Robinson, Porter, Haggans, Faneca, Hayes etc…–in my opinion received too much playing time when they were not performing up to par!!! Do you think the staff was too loyal toward certain veterans??????

21. By Rugbymuffin on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

I can’t see how anyone can talk about anything other that what will happen before March 4th of this year in the NFL.

22. By neil on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

It was just announce that Vince young will not be with the titans next season . Any chance we pick him up?

23. By azfann88 on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

darren do you think cam newton is a risk pick if so why? thanks darren

24. By Bill L on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Cards are between a rock and a hard place when it comes to a QB. No one they have is an NFL starter…..NOT Close. If they knew Whiz would dump Matt for No Reason(given to the public) they might have spent a couple million more to get a backup a couple levels better than DA. Then they may not have THE GUY, but atleast someone who is functional. With NOBODY can they go solo with any rookie other than Luck…..I doubt it. Newton, Mallett, whoever, barring a miracle, could have a tough time and I doubt ANY fans will take another year like this one. So, a vet, much better and costly than DA is required…..and he is still probably not the GUY. They still need a Newton or a Mallett, but they belong in the 20s, not #5…..and they still will be about 40-60 of being the GUY. They have to trade down or up(with 2nd, etc) to get one….or, a Locker in the 2nd. The point is, they need 2…….will they pay…..they sure were happy to bank the cash this year rather than pay……a #1 or even a quality #2…….No PAY ME NOW from the Cards, Will they now cough up the dough to PAY ME LATER…….

25. By tyman on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

on Joey
    I think its a prime example of the last off-season where we got rid of Brian Mcfadden. Joey had a down season, but we have to use joey the right way. The steelers would move him around quite a bit on the d. What I see is joey setting up to rush the passer every time and the tight end on thats side paying attention to him. Joey is good in coverage and should be back. I think we need our defensive system to be much more complicated and we need an elite pass rusher. A guy that can dip the shoulder and get to the QB.
    On the QB
    Vince young is availible and gives the best safe value for any qb. Drafting a guy is hit and miss. If luck is the man then I cant think of a situation better to give away a whole draft for a player. Dont forget Mcnabb will be out there, maybe he has somthing to prove and we could get quite a discount on him. As for john I think he should get a shot to compete, but untill he starts lobbing balls up to fits in double coverage hes not ready. All in all we need a big move here because the d-fence took a lot of heat this year, but the Offence couldnt move the ball.
    On the Coaches
    I think it would be smart to give the staff a second crack. I think its easy to blame people when stuff goes bad but, give the guys next season to come back strong. I think to add some great defensive minds to the staff would be good. We dont need to fire anyone though, just get a few more young coaches.
    On the season
    The season can be seen as terrible. I think in a way it was good to see what kurt did for us. In the NFL you need an elite QB to win and we dont have one. The way john skelton performed showed that the best way to evalute a QB is to give him his shot. Johns last game wasnt great, so that says right there hes not ready, but has potential to be a good backup or all right starter.

26. By Sean on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

I am stunned to read all of these reasonable responses so far!

No one calling for Singletary to replace Whiz?

No “why did we let go of Leinert” posts. This is weird!

I personally hope that we draft the best player at the number 5 slot, position be damned. Get him in here, deepen our roster and let the competition begin… and since I have not watched hundreds of hours of tape, I trust the organization to do that.

What I find frustrating is when you get some jackwagon posting about how we need “X player”, because they saw the dude play twice this season.

I have two words for that poster: “Lame”.

27. By Eric JB on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

With free agency possibly delayed do you think the team will more likely aim toward a trade to get a veteran QB like Orton or Kolb prior to the draft? What other positions do you think are more probable to be addressed via trade or free agency (than via draft) and who do you think may be targeted players?

28. By Scott H on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Darren –

Have heard some chatter about how Harbaugh’s situation – and wherever he lands as a coach in the NFL – might have a lot to do with where Luck may end up playing. May be something to that, maybe not. But I’m also hearing that the 49ers are definitely in the running for Harbuagh…so, I can’t help wondering if that might give the 49ers an inside track to landing Luck. You say the Panthers are taking Luck with the top pick in the draft, but we’ve seen it happen before where a player ( Eli Manning, most recently ) will declare that he will not play for certain teams as a way of dictating where he WILL play. If Luck is all he’s cracked up to be, he just might be able to make that happen. And IF all of this came to pass, would the Cardinals and the rest of the NFC West be doomed for next decade?

29. By Steve on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Darren: If you had to choose on the spot between Kevin Kolb or Kyle Orton to be the Cards QB in 2011 irregardless of compensation whom would you pick?

30. By Alex on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Any chance of Vince Young? Trade Joey Porter for him?

31. By Scott H on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

One thing is for DAMN sure – whoever the QB may be for this team next year, that person needs to throw to #11 a HELLUVA LOT MORE than anyone / everyone did this year! Fitz is just one of those guys who you have to keep throwing to, no matter what. Period. He was a non-factor in too many games this year. That can’t happen. Warner understood that even when Fitz was “covered”, it didn’t matter. More often than not, Fitz was going to make the catch because he’s just that good. Obviously, a young QB can’t have the savvy of a Kurt Warner right off the bat. But the offensive game-planning needs to make sure that Fitz is getting chances every week and that he’s not disappearing during games. Steve Smith – who is a heck of a WR – completely disappeared in Carolina this year. That CANNOT happen here with #11.

32. By Inox on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Blaine Gabbert is a product of the spread? Do your homework, he is leaving Mizzou because he is a pro style QB that hasn’t fit that well into the spread. He gains nothing by sticking around to play another year in the spread.

33. By Darren Urban on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Mulkdog —

RE: First pick

If they don’t go QB, anything is possible. But I’d be surprised if it was an interior lineman.

34. By Darren Urban on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

MikeG —

RE: Loyalty to vets

Since Whisenhunt said as much Monday, I will say yes.

35. By Darren Urban on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Everyone —

RE: Vince Young

Can’t see how Young’s behavior over the years and how he reacts to situations would win him fans with this coaching staff.

36. By Darren Urban on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

azfann —

RE: Newton

No idea to be honest.

37. By Tien on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

i say we get ryan mallet and put skelton as backup or mayb the other way around

38. By Andreas on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Hi Darren
    Would love to ask you if think, that Vince Young would into our offense? Just saw him being either traded or released. We could give up a 2nd round pick for him and still a good draftpick in 1st round.

39. By Darren Urban on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Eric JB —

RE: Trade

I don’t think they are any more likely to trade with the situation. As far as positions, let’s see what comes first: Draft or FA. Then we can go from there (plus we don’t know who will be free agents yet).

40. By Darren Urban on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Luck/Niners

Yeah, uh … let me know if that happens.

41. By Darren Urban on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Orton v Kolb

Probably Kolb.

42. By NJAzCardsFan on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

If anyone is going to be released, Disaster Always (DA) should be the first to go. I can’t understand why they haven’t sent him packing on Monday…..

It looks like Vince Young is going to be traded or released by the Titans…. He is a loose cannon though. He would be an interesting pick, if someone could control him.

I don’t think McNabb is that accurate for the Cards needs. If he was still decent, Rex Grossman wouldn’t have started.

All said, the Cards need an established QB….. This is going to be an interesting off-season for the Cards.

Hopefully, they won’t repeat the QB selection mistakes they made this season.

43. By Darren Urban on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Inox —

RE: Gabbert

He’s leaving college because he can be a high draft pick. If the spread didn’t help, he wouldn’t have performed well enough to be considered a high pick. I don’t know if he is a product of the spread. Given the lack of experience seeing him on a high level not in a spread, you don’t either.

44. By marco on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

in John Skelton i trust, take the best possible player with the #5 pick and make our team better, John Skelton will play next year at a higher level and we will be LEGIT !!!!

45. By We'll miss Q on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

ScottH: Larry Fitzgerald was targeted more than any other receiver in the league. He would have had a better year if he did not drop so many freaking passes. Yes I know our qb’s suck, but if Fitz wants to be paid like the #1 receiver in the league, he needs to go back to having the best hands in the league, which last year he clearly did NOT. I for one am TIRED of our qb’s FORCING the ball to Fitz just to get him his numbers. Kurt Warner threw the ball to the open receiver. Skelton threw to the OPEN RECEIVER against Dallas and WOW we won. They were double covering Fitz every play.

46. By Potter on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Mallet proved one thing to me last night. He does have a big arm but when the pocket breaks down, he breaks down too. We already have that qb in DA, and being a top 5 pick would make mallet a more expensive mistake too.

Draft day has two real options… either keep the 5th overall and take a top corner or pass rusher. Or trade down to somewhere around 15-20 get an extra 2nd round pick(hopefully more) and draft Nate Solder(kiper and mcshay both have him rated #1 OT in the draft)

47. By azred21 on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

We should grab Kyle Orton or Vince Young or Donovan Mcnabb in FREE AGENCY xD

48. By ross on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Darren, your comments crack me up. Ever consider standup comedy?

49. By DirtybirD on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

The Cardinals should sign Marc Bulger and Alex Smith. Let them compete for the starting job while Skelton develops. To keep Fitz the Cardinals need to win next season. Use the 5th pick on a pass rusher or trade down and get more picks later in the draft. The Bidwells need to open up the check book this offseason!

50. By AndyStandsUp on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

I read on another site that IF Mike Mularkey is hired as head coach of Denver, his first choice for OC would probably be Grimm or Mike Miller.
    It’s all guesswork but would that make sense to you, Darren?

51. By nlatham on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

I don’t think drafting another QB is such a hot idea, but getting a seasoned QB that can work with hall and skelton would work wonders I mean there is talent there it just needs to be polished. I agree pick up some linemen there are plenty of veterans on the team that can work with them

52. By neil on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

People said the samething about Vicky and look where he is at now. Give him a chance and keep him on a short leash

53. By BLOOD RED on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Do you think there is any chance we would trade up for Luck?If not i think we should still try to get McNabb to come in and start while grooming Skelton.Even Kolb or someone of that caliber would be better than taking one of these other guys with our first pick in my eyes.What is your take as to a vet v.s. a Newton or Mallet with where the cards are with needing production soon?

54. By georgiebird on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Since the division is still winnable next year at 8-8, McNabb has to be considered seriously for the job. I’m not a big fan of McN but I believe he wants to play in AZ and the Cardinals should get a home team discount that doesn’t come along often.
    Seems McN like Orton will eventually get released due to irreconcilable differences and payroll considerations. Graves should be able to play this correctly.
    On the coaching front:
    Whiz should explain why he was so cold and calculated in getting rid of Clancy P. in a SB season (and he deserved it) YET he is so slow to move on Bill Davis. Could it be as simple as Davis is a friend and Clancy was not?- that’s no way to turn this ship around..

55. By Stevie on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Darren, re QBs for the Cards. I can’t understand why everyone seems so sure they will take a QB with their first pick. It seems wiser to use that pick for someone we really need now, like a DB, MLB or O line guy. Maybe a TE as there seem to be some who can block and catch in this year’s draft. We can probably get a decent QB in the second round since we will have the 37th pick. Maybe there is a nother Tom Brady flying below the radar. We really need an experienced veteran QB who can mentor John Skelton while he develops. A first round QB will not help NOW and will cost too much (i.e. Matt Leinart). I believe Skelton has the potential to be the QB of the future for this team.

56. By brad oneill on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

with the absence of a rookie salary cap this year i expect a ton of second tier talent to drop out of college and enter this draft. Since the cardinals tend to excel at finding the diamonds in the rough, i would think trading down 2nd and 3rd round picks for a few long term 4th and 5th round gambles might just be the way for this team to go.

the way i see this working is perhaps moving from 5th to 25th with picking up the 1st and 2nd round pick from that team. then moving the later second round pick for some 4th and 5th rounders. i am sure there will be teams looking to move up and since our team is basically whole we could still get the needed linebacker and corner back help a little later.

also i would be interested in trading with carolina for jimmy clausen, he was pretty much destroyed his rookie season but that is true for a whole lot of qbs tossed to the wolves their first year. I think a clausen, Skelton-yet to be named veteran mentor type qb battle would be interesting.

57. By brad oneill on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

ps on vince young, there is no way this team picks up that guy. none whatsoever. For those of you who don’t know, jeff fisher is an excellent coach who excells at troubled players. He had Haynsworth playing hard and grabbed three team in one year moss off the wire. So if he doesn’t want to deal with young anymore you can bet Ken “i like it freaking quiet when i glare” whisenhunt isnt going to jump at the opportunity to have an idiot on board.

58. By Khardz on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

1st Round Pick- Aj Green
    2nd round pick, Trade for VY if possible

59. By BigRedFan on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

What about Favre? :)

60. By BigRedFan on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Ah, Darren . . . .

Another offseason of QB speculation. Hope you have lots of coffee ready my friend.

I think whatever happens regarding QB, Skelton did a fine job. I was happy when he was signed and looking forward to what else he’s got to show us. He may just make a go of it . . .

61. By Big Red on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Nobody has ever mention that the reason Fitz didn’t get the ball this year like the years before. I know we had Kurt Warner, but the main reason was NO Anquan Boldin to take the pressure off Fitz. They both had to be covered tight.

62. By john on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Vince Young threw his equipment into the stand after the coach wouldn’t put him back into a game because he was injured. He was thought to be suicidal after fans booed him. Now I’m a Texas fan and that championship game was one of the best ever, but lets stop the post for VY. He is a mess.

Darren, although you weren’t waiting for my validation, I have the same thoughts about Gabbert. I’m old enough to remember the can’t- miss- guy- who- isnt- a-product- of- spread offense named Andre Ware. It didn’t work for him. Teams will really need to see Gabbert at the combine and workouts. I pass on him. Cam Newton seems like a good college player, but I don’t see pro QB at all..

Orton will demand less in a trade than Kolb. I think if we could get him for a 3rd, that would be the best deal out there. Kolb will demand at least a one. As for McNabb, he has been passed on by two QB guru’s. He may be done.

I love Mallot and believe he is the real deal, but I have asked for passrushers the last 4 years. Orton/Skelton may be good enough ( I will be honest and say I’ll drift back and forth on Mallot and Von Miller the next few months). Trade down #5 and draft Texas A&M’s Von Miller.

I love the offseason and dreaming of what could be.

there is my two cents

63. By SteveDCO on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

The reason no one has been cut is no one can be cut yet. I believe the date is later this month.

Don’t worry DA won’t be with the team in 2011.

And with no CBA no one can be signed unless they are without a contract currently (meaning a scrub)

Everyone who keeps saying get an OC. You understand the system in Whiz’s and that won’t change. A new OC isn’t going to change that.

Davis is the likely scapegoat for the season. The fans want blood and Whiz/ Graves are smart enough to realize that has to happen.

I would love to see a sexy DC hire like Houston did but I’m not sure that will happen.

IMO Henderson is the coach who had the worst year. The 2ndary was burned over and over and everyone except Rhodes had an off year.

We saw Wilson lined up on TEs he can’t cover i.e. Gates, Gonzalez, Davis

We same under sized corners in goal line jump ball plays when DRC should have been out there. Wilson talking about how even late they were having alignment issues.

Darren on a serious note – I heard Ryan Leaf would be out of jail soon. I watched one of his games from 6 years ago and he has some serious skills and I think his game translates well to Whiz’s style. Do you think King Whiz would be willing to bring him in?

64. By Chuck 1 on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

BTW, did anyone notice that Luck threw three TD passes to his TIGHT END!!!
    Imagine that. A team that throws passes to it’s TIGHT END.
    OMG!!!
    Do we fans ever think that Whiz would do that???
    Not on your life!!!

65. By Chuck 1 on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

I would be very surprised if Whiz keeps his whole coaching staff if he is the Card’s coach after next season.
    Did anyone notice that the Card’s defense gave up about the most points in the NFL in 2010?
    Did anyone notice that the offense struggled in many games to score touchdowns?
    Tell me that those results were ALL the fault of the players.
    And, don’t tell me that those results were all the fault of not having a quality QB.

66. By Cactus Jeff on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Darren

And Mr Bidwell if you are reading please do not over analyze last season, the answer is simple. When we had a good experienced QB, 2 stud WRs(not 1) and a tackling machine at middle linebacker the cards went 10-6 and won the division.

Sign McNabb, draft AJ Green, coach up Darryl Washington and Schofield and you are back in the playoffs. Draft a TE in round 2 and you are better than you were in 2009.

67. By Cactus Jeff on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Darren
    You dont believe in the eyeball test do you? Dan Williams is a bust, he was an awful first round dratt pick. I was right on after seeing him in pads once! Now I read that Hadnot is the future starting G. Are you kidding me? Just look at him, he is the Max Hall of offensive lineman. I have a bad feeling the cards are going to lose their best OL, Duece, and replace him with Hadnot, if so this organization is clueless.

68. By Salvador on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

What about Vince Young bring him in what u think about that

69. By Brad Wheeler on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

To Coach Whiz: love you buddy, except for your view on play-calling, we struggled offensively all season long, time for some harsh-love, wake up to yourself and assess your performance this year calling plays, how did you do? I love everything else you do Whiz, except this, please don’t try to be something you’re not, get someone else in with a different line of thinking regarding play-calling, we need it!

70. By Brad Wheeler on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Hi Darren, are there any stats on our OL performance this season regarding allowed sacks? Maybe i just had more of an eye on Faneca, but he seemed to let in a few sacks (and a heap of near sacks). Are there any stats for OL? Where can i find this?

71. By Dennis on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

We need so much help both on offense and defense.
    Both lines were ineffective. It’s a shame that Wade Phillips went to the Texans, he would have made a big difference as Defensive Coordinator.

72. By eazy e on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Mike Shanahan just admitted a few days ago he handled the McNabb situation poorly. Rex Grossman did nothing but turn the ball over as usual. If you think Grossman is better than McNabb, you need to be in a mental facility because that is just plain stupid.

73. By AZCARDSFAN on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Cards need to go after Vince from the Texans and make it work. He could survive the bad offensive line!

74. By cardsalltheway on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Had Ken W. at least held off and given Leinart a chance, DA would’ve learned more, thus given him a chance to succeed had Leinart failed before our eyes. Then if DA failed, the next in line was obviously J. Skelton(according to the Cards own FO/Scouts/draft. Had Ken W. held off playing M. Hall(J. Skelton shouldn’t have ever been demoted after his 1st preseason game), he would’ve easily made the practice squad – nobody would’ve been interested, nobody would’ve picked up M. Hall off the Card P. squad anyway. Had our undrafted rookie free agent(M. Hall) gone in when all other common sense approaches been taken, ALL fans would’ve been behind M. Hall 100% if all other QB’s either done poorly or gotten hurt.
    DON’T waste the first round pick on a QB, please!(unless a good deal can be had for Luck). There are too many other positions that need help — offensive line or linebacker. Duh, Ken W.

75. By kekojones on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Trade down the 5th pick for the 7 th pick of the Titans and Vince Young…

76. By D on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

The Cards are in a tough spot. They can either sign a Vet like Bulger, T. Jackson or Gradkowski and draft a QB in 3-4 rounds to develop. Or, gather draft picks to try to trade for a Kolb or Fitzpatrick.
    I would try to trade the #5 down to 9 or 10. Cowboys will want to try to get one of those 2 corners that will go high in the draft and the Redskins probably want to draft a QB. If they can move down to obtain addtional picks, then call Buffalo for the QB, they are still at a place in the draft to get a impact starter/player.

77. By Jeff Gollin on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

To me, the most intriguing thing about this off-season is the QB – not just the “who” but the “what kind,”

I watched a lot of HS and college football this past season (a secure refuge for any frustrated Cardinal fan) and noticed a continuation of the quantum shift from under-center Pro Sets to direct-snap Shotgun/Zone Read/Semi-Wildcat formations which require QB’s who can run as well as pass and escape exotic blitzes that modern defenses throw at them.

Will this trend extend upward into the NFL? If so, will the prototypical QB change from pure dropback types like Otto Graham, John Unitas, Peyton Manning etc. to something more akin to single wing tailbacks (i.e. Newton, Pryor, T. Taylor, V Young etc.)

Suppose you’re a team who decides to make the leap of faith to a dual-threat, zone-read QB. Would this mean that your entire offensive system would need to conform to the demands of the new QB scheme. And, if so, would you need to be 3-deep in similar run/pass QB’s in order to be successful?

Translated to Cardinal Football, “If brought in Vince Young or drafted someone like Newton or Pryor, would this make John Skelton odd-man out?

Lots to consider.

78. By B on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Coach Whis sure does know how to evaluate a QB!LOL!!

79. By John Meyen on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Vince Young got released today, why not give him a shot? Or McNabb is on his way out of Washington too. I like Skelton, don’t get me wrong, but he needs time to develop under an established QB. He is not ready to be a starter next year.

As for the draft, everyone that is against drafting a QB at 5th overall, don’t you realize that a QB is the most important position on the field? If there is a shot to get either Newton or Luck, I think the Cards have to pull the trigger on them!

80. By joe67 on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Darren
    Glad you said Kolb over Orton. I just don’t understand all these people talking about Orton.
    I still think McNabb is best bet for short term. I think that would help keep Fitz here also.

81. By cardfan6 on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

please dont get vince young

82. By hopeful_card on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

First, can we stop destroying DA the man because he had a bad year as QB. I am sorry he had a rough year and wish him well. He has the talents but I don’t know what happened. Next, the key is keeping Larry Fitz here or he is gone to KC. Kyle Orton, McNabb, or Kevin Kobb. Kevin Kobb’s value dropped because of three INTs although he is very good. Of these three, who will fit us Darren? They could draft a rookie but that will not keep Larry here. AZ receiving corps is waiting for a QB now!

83. By Ross Robertson on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Watching the Cardinals over the years the 1 thing I’ve noticed is no matter who they have at QB if the Offensive line is not going to protect them they’re going to get injured.Even Kurt had to deal with this the line should at the very least be like a wall for at least 3 seconds and every man should be picking up his assigned defender.Even during a Blitz a good line helps the QB get away to scramble. I believe everyone of the QB’s you have right now have the potential to be Great. Just get them a line to protect them!

84. By Darren Urban on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Mularkey

They do know each other. But he has already pulled out of his Denver interview.

85. By Darren Urban on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Blood —

RE: Luck

I do not think the Panthers will have any interest in trading Luck.

86. By Darren Urban on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Brad —

RE: Rookie salary cap

Actually, I expect there to be a rookie wage scale this year. Don’t forget, the draft will happen, but none of those guys will be signed until the new CBA is finalized. And it will have a rookie scale.

87. By Darren Urban on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

BigRedFan —

RE: QB speculation

Actually, I don’t drink coffee.

88. By Darren Urban on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Big Red —

RE: Fitz

The big reason Fitz didn’t get the ball was Warner’s absence at QB, not Boldin’s absence.

89. By WNY Card Fan on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Ok here’s my lame posting……

Vince Young people are you serious, this guy is a mental wreck, I think we have enough troubles without adding that to the mix

I’m a bit concerrned about the lack of movement SO FAR on the coachsing staff (ie letting some peopel go). I see several posts about, give them one more year etc….Whiz said himself he let past performance cloud him on players, then potentailly he could be doing the same on the coaches. Obviously I’m not working with these guys, but the job perforamce is in the stats and on the field this year (and last for the DEF). Working in Corproate america, this kind of dead last peformance would have gotten SEVERAL people fired and a slew of new people (with good potential/experience) brought in, EVEN if we were still making some profit. I’m all for giving people a chance, but 2 years of this basement performance in DEF says, FIND SOMEONE NEW. I good with Whiz, like to see him get back to winning and I have faith that he can, BUT I’m a bit leery of his judgement right now, I guess all we can say is we’ll see. (But when I look at the other teams who were not quite as bad or as bad as Cards finding new blood and dropping dead weight, makes me wonder)

Obviously we need some new blood in players too, QB foremost. I have to admit, I don’t know which way is best, other than find someone and not a ROAD kind of guy (that’s retired on active duty). And that can be said for several positions. I’d just like to see us COMPETITIVE next year and at least break even on our way to winning again.

90. By Darren Urban on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

SteveDCO —

RE: Leaf

You’ll have to ask Utah Card that.

91. By Darren Urban on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Cactus —

RE: “Eyeball test”

You remind me of the old George Carlin joke about how to get out of jury duty.

“I’d be great on the jury. I can take one look at a person and know if he’s guilty — Boom! — just like that.”

92. By Darren Urban on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Brad —

RE: Sacks allowed

I’d have to try and find that. I don’t know where that is off the top of my head.

93. By aaaaudio on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Cards FO please consider Vince Young! Looking at who is available VY has a winning record as a pro QB. He has legs and can throw. Tall and fast. He is a proven QB in the league. After 2010 season what would we have to lose? I know Fisher hates him but come on, can’t we all just get along?

94. By Doug on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

When people come on here and start ranting about Fitz not being good enough this year; I guess that’s when you know it was a bad season. I wish those people would go back to posting about McNabb/Vick/Warner. At least those were funny at times.

95. By jocards on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

To me Vince Young is a somewhat tempting possibility but that is only because we are desperate. He carries a lot of baggage. While he has done fairly well on the field even with a less than stellar core of WR I’m just not sure he is worth the risk. Jeff Fisher has a lot of credibility and if he can’t coexist with Young then one has to take a long hard look at the situation before deciding to take on that sort of personality issue. On the other hand it is a lot easier for a winning organization with an adequate QB in place to dismiss all possibility of picking up a player because of personality issues than it is for the Cardinals to do so. Young seems to be a bit of a head case and even if he gets that “under control” there is nobody that can say with any certainty that he’d be the answer to our obvious QB problems….but he might be and therein lies the issue.

96. By Tyler on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

personally i think it would be much more worth while and safer to trade our second round pick to denver and get kyle orton and just keep skelton around as our #2.

97. By Cameron on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

How about we take vince young and draft for the line with our 5th pick? he is a winner and the style does work ask the eagles. i think the best option we have is young and we need to get him. he has no baggage and would be perfect way to jump start our running game. plus he has the top recievers in the game. even though his numbers were down breaston was the most consistent part of our passing game. and looks like andre roberts might be a good 3rd if doucet gets passed. and who knows maybe well see newton or mallet in the 2nd round. if it comes down to it i think skelton can get the job done. if he ends up being the starting qb next year i wont be worried.

98. By Darren Urban on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Cameron —

RE: Young

“No baggage?” There are few players in the league with as much baggage as Vince Young.

99. By CJ on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Here’s a random thought. What about getting Brett Favre as a backup QB. I’m sure Skelton could learn a whole lot from Favre. Favre wants to retire but might stay in as a backup so he doesn’t get beat up so much but can still contribute. Look at what Aaron Rodgers did learning under Favre.

100. By Matt in Philly on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Why are we talking about bringing in rookies who will all need to time to adjust to the NFL and build cred in the locker room, when we’ve got a guy like Skelton who looks to have some potential: he’s mobile in the pocket, can make all of the throws, and seems like a good leader. He didn’t play very poorly, and. let’s be honest, he threw a lot of catchable passes that were just dropped.

Let’s look at what the real issue here is: the only QB that’s been able to produce behind this O-line is Kurt Warner — and the line’s poor play arguably caused him to call it quits with a year left on his contract. Moreover, we’ve got a guy back there in Beanie Wells who can seem to get any running lanes up the middle. It’s no coincidence that the most apparent difference between our team and winning teams is that on those teams the QB has time for plays to materialize downfield, and running backs regularly break one up the middle. Rather than looking for a new tackling dummy to put under center, let’s work on shoring up that O-line. With Sendlein, Lutui, and Faneca all free agents this year, this a great opportunity to fix a porous line.It sucks that the Cards have such a high draft pick, b/c they could easily get a top flight OL in the middle of the round.

Finally, I think that it’s a good idea the Whiz is considering giving up play calling duties. I don’t think it’s coincidence that the Cards had their best season in Todd Haley’s first full season calling plays — or that the offense went south after he left. We need an OC who can really turn this offense around. And, for that matter, a DC who knows how to use what he’s got on the field (i.e. not lining up super-athlete corners 10 yards off the line and letting teams smoke us on under routes).

101. By D on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Please stop all of the Vince Young talk…

102. By Mike Ellingboe on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Re: Gabbert

Understand the concern about him being a product of the “spread” offense but he played under center in high school so the adjustment won’t be that great for him. He originally committed to Nebraska but went to Mizzou after Callahan was let go. Earned the prestigious five-star ranking from ESPN and can make every throw required at the next level. No such thing as a sure thing, but outside of Luck he’s about as blue-chip as it’s going to get.

103. By brad oneill on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

we are going about this all wrong instead of trying to make us better we should be sabotaging other teams.

We should start a dog fighting ring in philly to distract vick, We should all drive suvs to cause global warming and disrupt the frozen tundra of greenbay, new orleans seems to thrive on chaos so perhaps we could pump elevator music into the city and maybe provide them with activa, good digestion seems to have a calming effect, if we want to disrupt seattle we will have to get congress to pass a law allowing the ncaa to put sanctions on nfl teams.

for the afc we just need to show troy palamalu a shop safety video involving hair and just about any piece of equiptment that rotates at 6500 rpms, speaking of videos a giant magnetizer may erase some of biliicheks secret tapes, for the jets im thinking we sneak in and fill rex ryans office with shoes donated by our cheerleaders along with a series of videos involving the cheerleaders removing said shoes, The colts may be the hardest team to disrupt, im thinking the only way to disrupt peyton manning may be to have it revealed that brett favres text message photos may actually have been photos of peyton manning from that towel incident in college.

104. By RelayTV on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

My 3 cents.

I love my Cards. This year broke my heart.

That said:
    Both staff and players underperformed this season. Both issues need to be addressed by ownership. If I had the keys to the front office, these would be my changes.

1.) Next year is Coach Whiz’ last chance. He must turn it around or he’s out. I appreciate what he has done in turning the Cardinals from losers to winners, and 1 bad season does not mean he is a bad coach, but the team has to get better, and that is the coach’s job. If he cannot field a team that can win our soft division, he has to go.

2.) Since Whiz has steadfastly refused to really alter the team’s playbook (that worked well during the Warner/Haley era) we need to find a quarterback who plays the game as much like Kurt as possible, and an O.C. who calls a game like Haley did.

I think that QB is McNabb. I think that O.C. is McDaniels. Both have strengths and both have weaknesses, but if Whiz is not going to change his philosophy, these two guys are the best fit for it.

3.) Besides QB, The Defense is our biggest problem. A new D.C. needs to be hired ASAP. Eric Mangini and McDaniels worked together pretty well in New England, let’s re-team them here. (The possibility of getting these 2 guys back together may happen only once in a lifetime, and since I’m writing the checks in this little fantasy, I’m going to make it happen here.)

Now that we have our new DC, let’s patch up the biggest hole in the defense first — Cornerback. DRC has tons of raw talent and no heart. Toler has tons of heart and no raw talent. Adams and the rest are worse. So we are gong to trade away our first round pick to whoever gives us the most for it (since we are not using it to draft a QB) and go get either Champ Bailey or Rhonde Barber.

Yes, their best years are behind them, but no other team will be parting with a better cornerback without asking a kings ransom, plus either of these veterans will make DRC a better corner, by making opposing offenses throw his way more often. (just like they did in ’09)

So we bring in 1 guy and upgrade BOTH corner positions. Toler becomes our 3rd corner and the rest sort downward. Now our talented but underperforming linebackers can actually RUSH the QB and stuff the run, because we have 2 corners that can play man coverage.

Yes there are many more upgrades that I will make, but I will be PROACTIVE and not wait for things like the CBA or the moves of other teams to finish before I make my moves.

It’s a nice dream… Right?

105. By Bill L on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Kolb, probably the only avaiable answer to both present and future QB. But, the price may be too steep, and Philly may be having second thoughts. Vick’s last 6 games have no where near the luster of his first 6…….from NFL MVP candidate to is he really the GUY or just started hot and is fizziling.

McNabb, a starter but, not long term. Still would need a late first or 2nd round QB. He also could be in demand in Minn, Tenn and SF.

VY, a head case. I mean nearly institutional. Needs to go where there is already a good starter and maybe a good backup……so he could be cut on a moments notice. Something like Vick to Philly…….get a free look with no real downside.

Orton, a pure backup, yet a decent one as opposed to DA. Would just about demand the Cards got the 2nd or 3rd best QB in the draft. None worth the 5th but they may have to use it…….and miss out on a high quality draft pick.

I’m interested in where Matt will land. I think SF would be ideal. He’s better than Smith, Smith and Carr put together. SF could sign him and cover their bet with a QB on their first pick. New coaching selection will give better insight. I hear Harbaugh wants more than they will pay, so probably not him.

106. By Scott H on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

We’ll Miss Q –

I’m not sure what you took from my post, but first of all, Fitz DOES NOT strike me as a numbers guy ( like Moss or Owens ), and his numbers are NOT my interest, either. To me, it’s pretty simple – when you are puting the ball into the hands of your best playmaker with regularity, it’s usually better for the team. Ain’t nothing really complicated about that. I don’t care about Fitz’s numbers. I care about how the team suffers when their best offensive player isn’t getting the ball. And I have to ask, what games did you actually watch this year??? Because Fitz AND the other WR’S were ALL victims of horribly in-accurate passes all year. Shoot, I was at the game in Seattle and I saw some passes that weren’t even in the same zip code as Fitz, including a play where Fitz got WIDE OPEN deep only to have the ball sail about ten feet over his friggin head. Gimme a break. One other game, Fitz was targeted 15 times and had only 3 catches. Well, he sure as hell didn’t drop 12 passes that hit him right in the hands, so…you tell me what the problem was. Don’t give me this “targeted” nonsense! Again, did you watch any of the damn games??? Just because he was “targeted” frquently doesn’t mean that the balls were catchable. I tune into just about every major media outlet that covers the NFL throughout every football season. This past year, I heard NO ONE anywhere make a single comment about Fitz dropping passes that he should be catching. So, I have NO IDEA what you are talking about. However, I heard PLENTY of comments about the poor QB play in Arizona all year – ESPECIALLY the in-accuracy of Derek Anderson.

And in regard to your comment about Warner, yes, we could always count on Kurt to find the open receiver. But you’re kidding yourself if you don’t think that Warner gave just a little more consideration to looking for #11. During the broadcast of the NFC title game in 2008, it was even reported that Todd Haley encouraged Warner to stick with Fitzgerald longer than he normally would before looking for another receiver. Watch a tape of the game, you’ll hear what I’m talking about.

107. By Mike Ellingboe on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

@D,

To plagiarize your idea (which I completely agree with) I wish everyone would quit revising history in regards to Todd Haley. The offense didn’t go south after he left, it was actually more balanced in 2009 than in 2008 and it was the Whiz who groomed him into that position. Don’t care who called the plays this year, try accomplishing anything with a QB who completed half his passes and had a QB rating south of 60.

108. By D on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Luck not coming out changes the draft..some of these QB’s may go higher than they deserve..

109. By CalifCard on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Andrew Luck is the ONLY QB coming out this year (‘IF’ he does, and being from Stanford, that can keep him there) that is a potential NFL starter. So with that said, the team needs to seriously look at allowing Skelton a spring to develop and put pieces around him. There are O-Line issues, and WR issues, and on the other side, OLB is still a real problem.

Given the tendency for the Cardinal front office to be ‘fiscally conservative’, (and I know I’ll receive a lot of flack for this), Fitz can not reach full potential in AZ unless there is a stronger QB in-house. Would it not be a better path to see if we could obtain a 1st & a starting lineman in exchange for him (helping our payroll immensely), and get a star OLB and another WR through the draft?

110. By jwimmer2 on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Gabbert.

111. By Scott H on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

No Cards in the playoffs this year, but I will be rooting for Boldin in Baltimore and Haley in Kansas City. Too bad one of them will be out right off the bat since they play each other this week. And if the Eagles need any advice on how to beat the Packers, that’s easy – just put a uniform on Kurt Warner and let him throw more TD’s than incompletions just like he did last year! Man, what a game that was!!! I think I’ll watch a tape of that game this weekend instead of the real games. Hard to believe that was already a year ago…

112. By cardsalltheway on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Even the new Vikings coach has the chutzpah to fire 3 assistants. Tick Tock Tick Tock.

113. By cardsalltheway on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

When I hear “baggage,” I think of Ken W.

114. By Matt in Philly on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Wow, RealtyTV, I’m glad you’re not running this team. Whiz is out if he can’t get things going next year? We just re-did his contract. McNabb is like Kurt Warner? Right, in that neither of them should be starting for the Cardinals next year. Eric Mangini is a great DC? Sure, for a guy who’s been fired from the last two jobs he’s had. Toler has no talent? Right, he only outplayed DRC this year in fewer games started. Go out and get Barber or Bailey? Yes, let’s downgrade our secondary and spend money where we don’t need to. Don’t you think that $$$ would be better spent on filling a real hole like OT or OLB?Terrible. Just terrible.

115. By bmoreaz on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

draft newton if available! we already have a mallet and his name is skelton! bring in mcnabb(a cheaper option) let them tutor under him for 1-2 yrs. draft olbs that fit a 3-4. not undersized 4-3 olb (schofield)! ot and g

116. By Eric on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Darren, Vince Young? 98.3 passer rating. who knows what really happened in Nashville.

117. By cards62 on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Cards Fans we will never agree on which experience QB to bring in so I just hope we bring in 2 or3 to see how it works out.

The only thing I know is if we do not make any coaching changes for next season it does not matter who will play QB. We are at the very bottom on offense and defense so how can we stand pat on coaching?
    Wade Phillips would have been an improvement, but now he is gone.
    If we do not bring in any new coaches I will tell you right now our record next season will be no better than 8 – 8. We need an offensive coorinator most of all as our play calling is poor. If you were a free agent QB would you come to play QB for the Cardinals with our current coaching staff? Enough said.
    I will be as angry as I was over the Leinart debacle if we do not make any coaching changes for 2011 especially an OC.

118. By Darren Urban on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Eric —

RE: What happened in Nashville

The owner does. And he picked Fisher over Young.

119. By Edgar on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Whats all this talk about Mallet,Gabbert, and Newton? What about Jake Locker to me his is the best quarterback in the draft since Luck is staying in school.If he falls to the Cardinals which he probably will we better pick him up. He would be a solid nfl quarterback. Also we need a veteran sign him to a one year deal to tutor Locker and then give the reins to Locker in 2012.

120. By Christo on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Why is Billy Davis still working for the Cardinals? This is beyond ridiculous. What is wrong with this franchise?

121. By Mike Ellingboe on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

@CalifCard,

Now that Luck is going back to Stanford you don’t see another starting QB in this entire draft? You either don’t watch college football or if you do your knowledge of QB’s isn’t all that high. Even without Luck this draft class will have three first rounders, possibly as many as five.

122. By darrel on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

I like it …Sounds like a great plan. That way u would create competition in training camp for years to come

123. By RelayTV on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Wow Matt in Philly, you completely missed Every point I made, without giving any reasons why you disagree and offered no ideas of your own.

Go back and try again. Pay special attention to the part where I explained that everything I wrote was contingent on Whiz keeping the same system he used with Warner/Haley.

I’d love for Whiz to change his philosophy and build the team to protect a rookie franchise QB like The Falcons and Ravens did (dominating defense and run game) and if he was at ALL going in that direction I would give him 3 years to make it happen.

But he isn’t. And in every presser he gave this year he kept repeating the mantra that “the system works, the players just need to execute it”

So that means pick a veteran QB who is ripe for a comeback, an OC and DC who are real goid at calling offense and defense (even if they failed at HC) and close the GAPING holes in our secondary.

That buys Skelton or another promising young QB 2 years to develop.

That’s how we win this soft division next season.

BTW-I said Toler had no raw talent, he is all heart, whick makes him.my favorite player on defense! I wish DRC had half Toler’s passion. But DRC only plays hard when he feels like it. But unlike you, I am not blind to Toler’s shortcomings.

124. By RelayTV on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

And if you honestly believe the Bailey and Barber are not upgrades to our secondary, then you have exactly zero knowledge of football.

At least check the stats before you run your mouth.

125. By chris on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

haha luck stays at stanford

126. By chris on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT

127. By Mike Ellingboe on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

@bmoreaz,

Who do you suggest they get at OLB if they’re not drafting undersized college DE’s? I can think of three teams in division one that run the 3-4. Welcome to the reality of filling key positions for that scheme.

On the upside, I think Schofield is showing some promise and if Davis can stay healthy we may finally have something resembling an outside pass rush.

128. By GODLE on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

I wanna know why they stopped throwing the Fade to Fitz near the goaline. Time and time again, he have come down with it with a guy all over him. I miss Haley, he know how to use Fitz.

129. By Scott H on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Call me an idiot – and I’m sure some will – but if I’m the Cardinals right now, and I know that my team is pretty good with a good QB, nowhere near playoff contention without one, I seriously consider doing whatever it takes to get Kevin Kolb from the Eagles. And that would include our first round pick, if necessary. Honestly, why not? IF QB is absolutely my biggest need – and I’ve decided that no one on the current roster is the guy – then why is a first round pick too much to spend for Kolb? I look at it this way – Kolb is still a very young guy, but he’s played at the pro level and he has shown that he really can play. NOW is the perfect time to get him. So…we can spend a first round pick on a young, yet KNOWN COMMODITY that is ready to play RIGHT NOW…or, we can use that same pick draft a QB that is a total question mark ( they all are, really ) that may not be able to really help for a few seasons and has a 50-50 shot of not helping at all. Am I crazy? Again, this is all predicated on IF this first round pick is going to be used on a QB. IF that is the case, why not use it for a guy with enough NFL experience to be proven, yet young enough that he can be your present AND your future? I know first round picks are like gold, but…can’t the same be said of good QB’s? We didn’t have one this year, and we saw how that turned out…

130. By BLOOD RED on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

No No No Vince Young would be terrible,I cannot believe people are even saying his name around the Cards.Need Donovan for a perfect fit, I know I have said it a hundred times but it would put us in the same place as Kurt did,At the top of NFC West and a good shot at the Bowl baby.Skelton will learn from a good role model that will teach him alot.Skelton will absorb the knowledge unlike Matt and our QB position will be set for the future.Please get McNabb!!!!!!We are ready to win now.

131. By allan on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Here is my opinion or facts as I see it.
    When Mike Martz was available after Todd Haley left Wiz did not go after him. This was a big- big mistake. Power trip I guess. Got to keep his pals around.
    Now Wiz is calling the plays and does a horrible job of spreading the field and keeping a defense guessing. I keep hearing about how the guys didn’t execute. It’s B.S.
    Well part of that is because you have to attack a defense not play into their hands with vanilla offense. When a defense comes at you knowing what you going to do it’s hard to execute. Everyone on the opposing defense knows were the play is going.
    We have no offensive coordinator, and man does it ever show.
    Look at where the Bears are at with Mike Martz, even with a bad offensive line and an O.K. quarterback. They can at least move the ball and keep the defense fresh.
    Wiz obviously does not know how to evaluate QB’s or has too much going on to call the plays and mix it up.

Itwas just so obvious that he was gasping for answers when he put Max Hall in, to try and save his sorry decisions at QB that doomed the team.

The same goes on the defensive side, no stunts just straight up pass rushes. Any cornerback is going to get burned if a good quarterback has all day to throw. Hence DRC’s so-so season.
    He and his staff are too blame for this season. They made the wrong decisions at QB and no offensive coordinator. Just plain stupid.
    Wiz graded the guys as they left for the year. Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t it a head coach’s job to put the people in place for the team to succeed.
    It sure sounds like it’s the old case of a Head coach trying to blame it all on the players. I give him a big fat F for his head coach job this year.

I’ll say it again, the Steelers sure made the right decision when they gave the head coach job to Mike Tomlin and not Wiz. Look at the Super Bowl 2 years ago and this seasons disaster. It’s only a matter of time before Wiz is exposed for what he truly is. If it wasn’t for Warner he would be long gone by now.

132. By Eazy E on Jan 6, 2011 | Reply

Fisher is highly overrated as a coach. The owner loved Vince and went with fisher, boy that is dumb.

133. By CalifCard on Jan 7, 2011 | Reply

@Mike Ellingboe
    Just because they start in college, does not mean they are able to proficiently start in the pros. If you truly understand what it takes to be a starting ‘professional QB’, you’d understand that.

No, I repeat “NO, there are no ‘legitimate starting QBs’ in this draft.” Newton is immature, and his skills are really no better than Vince Young’s. His being dropped by the Titans was because of his immaturity. Gabbert is a strong backup, but not a significant upgrade over what we have now. And certainly, there is nobody worth taking with pick#5. And the kid from Arkansas? Oh geez, he isn’t even a backup, and will be out of football in 2 years, poor decision making and mechanics. He will be eaten alive. Locker has digressed in the past 2 years, so if we can get him with our 2nd round pick, then I’d pick him up, but only with someone like McNabb to play ahead of him.

The Cardinals have countless holes in their lineup. And even if they had a star QB, they still would have difficulty moving the ball on the ground (abysmal at present), and be among the worst defenses in the game, amounting to no better than a .500 record (at best). We need an O-Line and defensive front-7 that will be respected. Until then, either build Skelton up with reps until we can get a good QB, or bring in someone like McNabb until we do.

134. By darrel on Jan 7, 2011 | Reply

And if he thinks bailey can’t play you know nothing about football look at numbers he still in top 3 revis ,nmandi,bailey

135. By Mike Ellingboe on Jan 7, 2011 | Reply

@CalifCard,

Gabbert isn’t a significant upgrade over what we have now? What are you basing that on? Strong back-up???? Size, strength, speed, mechanics, arm strength, leadership – what do you see that apparently the rest of us are missing? Mallett did have a tendency to throw off his back foot last season but this year everything was pretty cleaned up. Out of football in two years? If I could get someone I know to say that we’d be placing bets right now. 6’7″ with the arm strength to make every throw, hits the fade as well as anyone I’ve seen. Mobility isn’t a strength but overall there’s still a ton to work with. I do share your apprehension about Newton but with the emergence of Vick this year it would be foolish to dismiss him, he is one of the rare superior athletes that come along every 10 years or so. No arguments about Locker, while I think someone will take him in round one, round two at the latest I just hope it isn’t us. Great athlete who has never performed great as a QB and a bunch of mechanical flaws. You left out Colin Kaepernick from Nevada who shows a ton of potential as well. All these guys are light years ahead of where Skelton was at draft time last year. I wouldn’t rule out Andy Dalton from TCU starting down the road, very accurate and good decision-maker, arm strength better than it’s given credit for. I hear good things about Pat Devlin but I’ve never seen Delaware play so can’t comment there. Point being, this draft is very deep at QB.

McNabb? What has he shown you in the past couple of seasons that indicates he isn’t well past his prime? Philadelphia had no fear of trading him within their own division and now that the smoke has cleared we can see why. His own issues (mechanics and conditioning) really came home to roost this year. Just as Favre should call it a career so should McNabb.

136. By johnnybluenose on Jan 7, 2011 | Reply

i’m not big on mcnabb but i see him as our best bet for the next year or two while we see what skelton can do. i don’t think there will be a lot of interest out there for mcnabb so he should be affordable for the cardinals. but i too have concerns about mcnabb’s conditioning and if i were graves or whiz i would insist that he seriously work out. and, like mike singletary, i want winners. and i have concerns about how badly mcnabb wants to win. if i had even the slightest inkling that he just wanted to add to his bank account while playing out the string, let him try and find another home elsewhere. the problem is, how can you know how motivated mcnabb will be? i didn’t detect a lot of motivation this year from joey porter. how can you know? maybe one way to know is to not sign guys who start hugging and high-fiving their opponents before and after games. they are supposed to be the enemy not your friend. DARREN, maybe you don’t know the answer but did lineart do enough or anything at all this year to keep his job in houston or will he be on the move again or maybe out of football altogether like so many young qbs who never delivered the goods at the pro level?

137. By Darren Urban on Jan 7, 2011 | Reply

Johnnyblue —

RE: Leinart offseason

He will be a free agent and I would assume his first plan will be to get to a team on which he can at least compete for a starting job. I’m not saying he’ll find that place, but that will be his goal.

138. By chad linebaugh on Jan 7, 2011 | Reply

did anyone watch matt flynn???? (the backup on the packers) trade a fifth for him and sign a free agent like bulger…and get a pass rusher with the fifth overall pick. and we need josh mcdaniels as our o coordinator

139. By steve on Jan 7, 2011 | Reply

get mcnabb. nobody wanted warner when he came and he sat on the bench…came off the bench and took us to the superbowl. like it or not mcnabb knows how to win in this league and i believe he has a couple good years left this way skelton gets more time to develope and we can actually get somone usefull in the draft

140. By Eazy E on Jan 7, 2011 | Reply

McNabb and Vince with the cardinals do it and make sure we never have this horrible QB situation again.

141. By TRIP on Jan 7, 2011 | Reply

Why dont the Cards go after QB’s already in the league, I would love to see Donavon Mcnabb or Vince Young Join the team, they are awsome players and would be a good addition!!!!!

142. By cardinalchris on Jan 7, 2011 | Reply

Go get Vince. I like Skelton, but he needs more time. Vince makes us competitive and keeps the defense off the field – and Lord almighty we need to defense to stay off the field and not because they gave up 4 play touchdown drives.

Get Vince PLEASE! Baggage sure, but they said same thing about Joey Porter and that didn’t stop Whiz.

Offseason hopes: Vince, free agent Left Tackle and at least 1 real cover corner

maybe a pass rusher and tight end would help too
    oh, a middle linebacker that can stop the run
    also, a couple defensive ends that can set the edge would be nice
    a wide receiver that actually holds onto the ball to complement Fitz
    Heck, can we get the NFL to just let us be considered an expansion team and pick new starters from the bottom half of all the other teams

143. By Christo on Jan 8, 2011 | Reply

I can’t wait to watch Leinart back somebody up. Then it will be clear that he doesn;t have what it takes.

144. By Mike Ellingboe on Jan 8, 2011 | Reply

@Chad,

Not a bad plan but I doubt GB is willing to give him up. NE has really struggled defensively this year as well, I think Brady’s amazing play is covering a lot of their own weaknesses.

145. By Judy on Jan 8, 2011 | Reply

I am sorry,i forgot thst i had a Dr’s appt. and missed the live chat.What would be your thoughts about bringing Vince Young here? I wanted him in that draft over Cutler And Leinart,but the way things have been going with him,i am not convinced that it would be a good move.Thanks for the blogs Darren. Love reading them.

146. By Charlotte Scott on Jan 8, 2011 | Reply

Why draft picks and why not focus on a solid veteran quarterback. The translation from college to NFL is not smooth or a guarantee. We need to sign on a veteran NFL quarterback with good history to stablize our team. I’m for Donovan McNabb.

147. By Alex on Jan 8, 2011 | Reply

This is off topic but all of our prayers should go to Gabrielle Giffords because she was shot in the head at a Safeway in Tucson. I hope she pulls through.

148. By Darren Urban on Jan 8, 2011 | Reply

Judy —

RE: Vince Young

Here is my opinion on VY here: I don’t see it.

It’s clear Whiz had issues with the work habits/mental fortitude of Matt Leinart. I can’t see him willing to take a QB who, in many ways, is 10 times worse in both areas. I know Young has talent and he has won. But I also know the Titans hated he wouldn’t commit to working harder to learn how to be a QB, and obviously, he has had major trouble dealing with any kind of adversity.

149. By Alex on Jan 8, 2011 | Reply

Darren-
    Is Owens getting a look by the Cardinals? Doucet doesn’t seem ready, and if Breaston leaves then we’re down a good WR. Owens adds publicity sure, but he doesn’t get injured to often. And I know you’re tired of hearing this but the Cardinals should take a look at Vince Young. He’s a better guy than our QB’s and well Skelton needs a better QB than Anderson. I like him but he’s to inaccurate.

150. By Darren Urban on Jan 8, 2011 | Reply

Alex —

RE: T.O./Young

Can’t see this team taking on a head case like Owens, who once again this season 1) performed and then 2) melted down by the end of the season.

As for Young, I’ve already written my thoughts on why I don’t see it here.

151. By chad linebaugh on Jan 9, 2011 | Reply

@Mike,

i was wondering if they would give him up or not but im sure we could make a deal with them but about new englands defense….they did struggle all year and flynn played very well against them but i bet every QB on the cards roster would struggle against the pats. skelton would probably do the best but im not impressed with him

152. By Larry on Jan 9, 2011 | Reply

Get Kyle Orton

153. By Denver Fan/ Cardinal bandwagon on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

Cardinals should really really think about giving up a 2nd round draft pick for Kyle Orton (Den). Denver has posted the trade on the table for any interested party. Orton is a well rounded QB and would AZ complete some passes! Give the rookie in AZ time to develop! If the Cards draft a QB they will be down and out of contention for yet another year!!!

P.S. If the Card dont pick up Orton, San Fran will !!

154. By Darren Urban on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

Bandwagon —

RE: Orton

I’m sure the Broncos would love a high second-round pick for Orton. I wouldn’t give it to them. They aren’t getting a second-rounder for him.

155. By Lonnie Nutt on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

KELLEN MOORE!!! calm and cool in the pocket, accurate, one loss in three years..???

156. By Jason on Jan 12, 2011 | Reply

Eagles Fan Here — I can’t see AZ or another team giving up a top-10 pick, straight up, for Kolb. I can, however, see AZ (or another team) swapping first round picks (5th and 23rd) with the Eagles and giving the Eagles their second round pick. Eagles would get the “high pick” they allegedly want for Kolb, and AZ or another team would essentially be getting their longtime starting QB plus another later first round pick. Makes perfect sense to me — which is why I’m sure it won’t happen. It has been suggested by a couple of local Philly sports writers here, however, as way to make a Kolb trade work.