• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

This sounds familiar

Posted by Darren Urban on January 11, 2011 – 10:16 am

So there were — understandably — big questions about the Seahawks taking their 7-9 record despite an NFC West title and winning anything. Every single one of their nine losses were by at least 15 points, for heavens sake!

Then they knocked off the Saints.

And suddenly, you look at the NFC playoff landscape and think, “Have I seen this before?”

Back in 2008, after the Cards won their first playoff game (at home) they went to play at 12-4 Carolina (the No. 2 seed) as the No. 4 seed. It was the perfect matchup, because they had already gone to Carolina earlier in the season and even though they lost, 27-23, to a man the Cardinals felt they had blown that game against the Panthers and were a better team. At the same time, the No. 6 Eagles were going to the No. 1 Giants, and while New York was having a fine season as defending NFL champs, Philly had just beat them in New York.

We know how that turned out. The Cards ended up with one of the most improbable NFC Championship home games ever.

This season, some of the details are transposed, but there is a chance the result could repeat. The No. 4 Seahawks are at the No. 2 Bears, and Chicago was the site of Seattle’s most notable regular-season victory when they beat up the Bears earlier this year. And while the No. 6 Packers lost at the No. 1 Falcons a few weeks ago, Green Bay easily could have won a tight game. If the Packers and Seahawks both win (and the latter isn’t out of the question), Seattle might find itself hosting the NFC Championship. Improbably. Once again.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

50 Responses to “This sounds familiar”

1. By David Brooks on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

Darren, unrelated question, but is there any chance of the Cards going after Asomugha? I know the Bidwells don’t seem fond of shelling out HUGE amounts (especially with Fitz’s contract in the works), but there is a propensity to sign veterans.

2. By Darren Urban on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

David –

RE: Nnamdi

I would doubt it.

3. By D on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

How sick is the miracle baby? Honestly, he is the trillest player of all time.

4. By Old Man Riva on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

Unrelated draft question for you Darren…what do you think the odds are of the Cards taking a QB with their 1st round pick or signing a veteran free agent and taking a LB, OT, DE, etc., with the pick? Seems to me their isn’t really a sure shot QB out there who is worthy of being the 5th player taken in the draft. Thanks.

5. By ross on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

All I have to say is marshawn lynch had the best run I have seen in a loooong time.

6. By Darren Urban on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

Old Man –

RE: Draft QB

At this point, I wouldn’t give odds. Too early in the process.

7. By CZarr on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

I’ve never really been an autograph seeker, but I’d really like to get a jersey signed by ADub at some point. What’s the best way to go about that? Would it be at camp or practice?

8. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren, I want your opinion, what do you think the team should do come draft day, drat a rookie QB or sign a vet? Or something different?

9. By georgiebird on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

Agree completely with your “sounds familiar” story on the Seahawks.

However, when something is obvious to a lot of people it ends up not happening- it’s called betting against “mass logic”. Is Cutler capable of a Jake Delhomme moment? I think so.

10. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

Also Darren, what do you think about Prince Amukamara from Stanford? If the Cards were to have a chance at him

11. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

Im sorry I ment Nebraska, I was thinking about Luck at the same time and got a mix up

12. By kekojones on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

Darren-

If the improbable happens. Do you think that would stop the media from keep calling the NFC West the worst division in football?

What about pursuing Antonio Cromartie?

13. By Big Red on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

If Cardinals are smart, don’t draft a QB, we already have one in John Skelton. Whiz knows what he has in Skelton. Go for defense, maybe a linebacker or a pass rusher.

14. By Darren Urban on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

Czarr –

RE: Wilson autograph

Definitely training camp.

15. By Darren Urban on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

RodgersCromartie –

RE: QB direction

Well, I don’t know what something “different” would be. Personally, I would consider heavily doing both.

16. By Rick on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

For all those that are TRUE Cardinal fans, Training Camp is the best place to get autographs AND interact with the team!!! I have become a greater fan of the Cardinals because of their fan friendly atmosphere at both Training Camp and during the mini camp practice after the draft. The Cardinal players are GREAT about interacting and making themselves available. The one thing that I would remind everyone about though is just because a player doesn’t stop to sign and talk doesn’t mean he’s a jerk!!! Remember they are at work and you need to respect that and appreciate the team’s overall generousity of time. (I know this is off topic).

17. By Darren Urban on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

RodgersCromartie –

RE: Amukamara

Don’t know him at all.

18. By Darren Urban on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

Keko –

RE: NFC West/Cromartie

The fact the division has been poor doesn’t go away with one playoff run. This isn’t a college conference.

As for Cromartie, isn’t he under contract?

19. By Peter in Canada on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

I think the weather in Chicago could be a little diferent than that of Carolina two years ago. Plus Warner was head and shoulders above Hasselback. The Cards beat Atlanta but the Saints lost to Seattle so my money is on the Bears.

20. By kekojones on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

Pro Football Talk says Antonio Cromartie is a free agent. He probably is a less expensive alternative than Asomugha.

21. By TBru on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

I hate the Seahawks but for all the NFC West bashing that has been happening, I am kind of pulling for them

“the Bidwells don’t seem fond of shelling out HUGE amounts”

Didn’t they just give Dock a huge increase
    Didn’t they just give Adub a huge increase
    Didn’t they make very competitive offers to Rolle & Dansby
    How much did Leinart and Anderson get paid for zero productuion?

NFL Arizona Cardinals Team Salaries $ 122,110,110
    NFL New England Patriots Team Salaries $ 92,734,120

The question isn’t how much you spend, but how you spend it. High payroll does not equal success

The Browns, Raiders and Cowboys have higher payrolls than the Cardinals, while the Patriots, Packers and Colts are significantly less. Maybe if Fitzgerald would make some concessions their would be more money available to sign Breaston. If anything I think the Cardinals try too hard to show they are willing to spend money and end up over paying high profile players at the expense of a team with solid depth.

William V. Bidwill, Michael J. Bidwill, Rod Graves, Steve Keim, T.J. McCreight, Reggie Terry, Ken Whizenhunt all have input on how the team is shaped and at what cost it is more than some Star Trekish entity called The Bidwills. Football is a hard business 1 winner and 31 losers every year.

I loved seeing Mr Bidwell holding the Halas trophy, I genuinely felt happy for the man. I would love to see it happen more, but we or any other team is not going to be in the Super Bowl every season.

I do not see anyone in the Cardinals organization sitting around thinking of ways to be mediocre. We had a bad year this year. We need to improve next year. If The owners of the team weren’t willing to shell out large sums of money they wouldn’t be in this business. They know they have to pay money, the trick is spending it wisely, and getting a lot of lucky breaks thrown in.

22. By jocards on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

This CBA issue is not going to go away folks…we don’t even know if there is going to be a 2011 season but we do know that there isn’t really much of a point in discussing potential FA signings until a new CBA is in place.

Now, the NFC West is the weakest division but the division does seem to win playoff games. I’d certainly favor the Bears this weekend but clearly the Seahawks can win. Once you’re in the post season anything can happen…just ask the Saints.

23. By mgdo on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

Hey darren what do you think the chances are of the cardinals drafting a QB in the first round and trying to get one of the better veteran free agent QBS to mentor the young ones ? At the same time I think OL needs to be addressed.It doesnt matter if you have the best QB.If he has no time nothing develops. Offense needs more chemistry and consistency which will come with time. Defense has been one of our stronger points these last couple of seasons. So maybe rounds 4-7 you look at defense, but 1-3 should be focused on offense.Thanks for your time I’ve been a cardinals fan since they were the phoenix cardinals.

24. By TBru on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

If the measure of success in the NFL is the Super Bowl appearances…

The NFC West and South have each sent 3 different teams to the Superbowl. Only the AFC East has more, with 4 (and they were all New England)

The AFC North, South and NFC East each have two

and the AFC West and NFC North can each only claim one Superbowl appearance.

These are Superbowls, not someone wins a division by default. The NFC west has held their own since the current division configuration came to be.

25. By iLuvBugel on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

Good for the Seahawks! I can’t stand them but thats what makes them good rivals. Way to represent the West and shut the critics up!

26. By grabling on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

Michael Vick a cardinal? possibility or just a dream

27. By cards62 on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

Darren off subject but what did they do to our field last night in the College Championship Game?

We kept seeing players slipping all night and commentators talking about the field and even part of analyst talks today is about the field.

I do not remember seeing NFL players slip this much on our field this entire season. First play of the game I believe a player hurt his knee with little to no contact.

28. By latch on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

Re:TBru

Excellent. I am so tired of hearing pay Fritz the Moon.

If all these posters that want to bad mouth the Bidwell’s and all they want to do is overpay everyone; they could spend all this money they talk about and buy them a team and pay all the players what they want us to do so badly.

Thanks for the insightful post…….

29. By B. Booey on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

Off-topic, for sure, but have you noticed how much players have been slipping on the UoP Stadium turf all year? Last night was nothing new as the BCS Championship Game had a ton of players slipping and sliding all around. Have the groundskeepers changed the way they water the turf or what? It was like that for our entire season.

30. By Magee on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

I believe things will fall apart for Seattle when they play Chicago. I think the Packers have a much better chance to live the dream. I’m thinking New England or Baltimore will shred Atlanta. I’ve been wrong before.

31. By Darren Urban on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

mgdo –

RE: QB direction

Answered that question in an above comment.

32. By Darren Urban on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

Booey, Cards62 –

RE: UoP turf

I have noticed some slipping, but I don’t know if anything has change in the turf care.

33. By Darrel on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

Umm two cromaties. I’m good. One is bad enough

34. By Scott H on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

Darren -

Gee, thanks sooooo much for posting this picture of the celebration we enjoyed when we won the title game back in ’08…do we really need to be teased like this??? The only thing worse would have been if you’d posted a picture of Kurt Warner during the celebration! Sigh…those were the days…speaking of which, have you been seeing any of Kurt’s work on the NFL Network? I think he is doing a GREAT job there.

35. By Pheenic Cromartie on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

I had a feeling the Seahawks would beat the Saints. That game was just screaming, “Shocker!”. I can’t believe their only a game away from the NFC Championship.

36. By Troy Erickson on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

I am all about the underdog. That Seattle game last week was great, and the run by Lynch just capped it all off. I can’t wait to see what Seattle can pull off next week. I just love underdogs and close games. Not a big fan of blowouts.

37. By AndyStandsUp on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

So far, the Seahawks playoff victory was more similar to the 1998 Cards/Cowboys GAME than the 2008 Cards playoff RIDE.
    Let’s see if Seattle can win in Chicago before the comparison.

38. By Cradsfan1234569 on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

Antonio Cromartie is a free agent this year. Please sign him think about it the Cromartie Corners sounds great. and no hype this would solidify our D and we could use our first pick on a skill position on O. plus sign McNabb

39. By TBru on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

@ latch

Thanks

now if only Thebidwells would put me on the payroll lol

40. By Cradsfan on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren do you think the Cardinals would consider signing someone like Antonio Cromartie?

41. By Eazy E on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

TBru-
    I don’t care how ”high” the cards payroll is, are they spending it productively? Fitz should get a bunch of money, duh!!! We need to spend money on free agents we need including the big names like nnamdi. Cardinals are too cheap.

42. By drumm-1 on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

@TBru great post… spending top dollars on players does not make you a contender, great post,you said everything i wanted to say but didn’t know how to put it..

43. By cardsfan4life on Jan 12, 2011 | Reply

TBru the AFC West has 3 since 1997 remember the Broncos won back to back super bowls 1997 and 1998 and then the raiders in 2000 or 2001 when they played the Bucs

44. By Darren Urban on Jan 12, 2011 | Reply

Cardsfan –

RE: A. Cromartie

That I do not know.

45. By Spud Spudly on Jan 12, 2011 | Reply

Hosting the NFC Championship Game doesn’t mean very much. WINNING it does.

Signed, a Giants fan

46. By Eazy E on Jan 12, 2011 | Reply

Forget cromartie since nnamdi and champ are out there

47. By riwjr on Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

I don’t like the 08 Cards being compared to a 7-9 team. lol

48. By scott023 on Jan 15, 2011 | Reply

I have not looked at the web site here after the end of our season. Darren, when are we going to get an o.c. ? Looking for a d.c. was a start, however we were worst on offense than defense ? Why haven’t we gotten one yet ? I pray we are looking. We pay good money and deserve to get a full coaching staff, right? I think we all agree that we deserve to have a full staff, don’t you?Coach Whiz has a huge ego, I still know he is smart enough to see that we deserve to have this, right? I don’t blame him,I blame Mr. Graves and then if he let’s us down. Then I blame Mr. Micheal Bidwell. That is their jobs. In the end it helps the team and the team is worth more money. The biggest no brainer of mankind. Please tell me he cares more about the team, and is going to get help on offense and get an o.c. .

2. Jan 11, 2011: Sports Review