Cards bring back Ali

Posted by Darren Urban on January 13, 2011 – 3:22 pm

The Cardinals have re-signed fullback Charles Ali for 2011. Ali was with the team over the offseason, but got hurt early in training camp while trying to battle for the lone fullback slot and was waived. So he will give it another shot. He’s the lone fullback under contract for 2011 at this point. Nehemiah Broughton, who continues to show up daily to rehab the knee he blew out in the preseason, and 2010 starter Reagan Maui’a both are free agents heading into the offseason.

Apropos of nothing, there is nothing new today on the search for a defensive coordinator. Not sure if anything will be going on tomorrow either, but if there is something to report, I will (and if you are looking for immediacy and don’t already go here, try twitter.com/cardschatter or look at the Twitter feed on the right side of the blog page).

Tags:

93 Responses to “Cards bring back Ali”

1. By cody on Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

how would you rate Maui’as performance this year? do you think he’ll be back next season?

2. By Jesse Robles on Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

Stop keeping these guys around, and signing these guys that are wasting space, plenty of young new FB coming out in the draft. These kind of signings are reasons we are watching the playoffs without the Cards. Look what the Jets did. We are not the Pats or the Steelers, we can’t just get position players and think we are going to be good, WE DON’T HAVE A SYSTEM LIKE THAT!! We don’t have a system, Period. Charles Ali has done nothing in 4 seasons.

3. By Darren Urban on Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

Cody —

RE: Maui’a

I think he’s a hard worker, but I don’t think he’s exactly what they are looking for — they tried to cut him to begin the season and brought in that one guy for the opener (I can’t even remember his name) before going back to Reagan, who got a less than enthusiastic endorsement from Whisenhunt at the time. I think they will look at options. Don’t forget, Broughton was going to be the FB until he messed up his knee in the preseason.

4. By Darren Urban on Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

Jesse —

RE: FB

Please name me all these young talented fullbacks coming from all these spread offenses in college. And are you spending one of your seven draft picks on a fullback? Awful precious commodity to give to a position that plays about 20 plays a game.

5. By MIKEFLORIO on Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

Move the hypen to fullback!!!!! Or put dockett back in there and watch him rumble!!

6. By Jesse Robles on Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

I’d Take Owen Marecic from Stanford any day of the week over Charles Ali, even as a Rookie… And My bad, I really wasn’t talking about drafting one, I meant picking one up as Undrafted, as it seems to be the way the Cards are going now a days anyway. Cody Johnson from Texas is a pretty good runner and can catch the ball out of the backfield but he could stay at Texas because he isn’t a Senior, same with Henry Hynoski from Pitt, and Joe Suey from Penn State who also catch the ball out of the backfield. But Stanley Havilil out of USC, and Clay from Tulsa could easily be 6th or 7th rounders.

7. By Darren Urban on Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

Jesse —

RE: FB

I would guess they will look at many options, including the undrafted route, although again with the uncertain labor situation, that could be sticky. Nonetheless, right now, you’d like to have at least one body on the roster. Don’t forget, you’re going to need 80 guys for training camp. Just because they sign a guy doesn’t mean he’ll be there in September.

8. By SteveDCO on Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

Darren – On March 4th will all players rehabing have to find other places to get treatment correct and do it w/o insurance?

Curious to see (even though it will never be talked about) if coaches make study packages for players like Skelton during the lockout.

I’m not as optomistic as you that we won’t miss any games in 2011. It seems the owners aren’t even on the same page yet and way too many egos at the negotiating table.

Not sure how many monster truck pulls these massive stadius can run during the lock out to keep paying the bills.

9. By Scott H on Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

Darren –

I see where Manusky is being interviewed in San Diego for the DC spot…are the Cards looking elsewhere? Do you know of anyone else slated to inetrview here?

10. By Jim in Missouri on Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

Darren, I see on profootballtalk where Rob Ryan is not expected to be returning to Cleveland. They mention Arizona as a possible landing spot for him, given his 3-4 background and the Cardinals’ need for a defensive coordinator.

I realize PFT is not the most reliable source (I think they still have Kurt Warner possibly making a comeback), but Ryan seems to be good at his job. Could you see Whisenhunt adding someone with such a “loud” personality at DC?

11. By Real on Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

How is it awful giving up a pick for a fullback?
    Rex Ryan sure did get a good fullback with that O’Connor pick.
    The talent scouts here suck and they need to bring in associates from the pats, and jets organization. Its kinda funny how we hearing about a stupid fullback getting a deal and you say he doesn’t play nothing but twenty plays a game. Need to be saving that money to see the real talent that hits the free agent market. It’ll be a true miracle if Butler is allowed to talk to Ken about the DC position. The fans need to know way more about whats going on in this organization like they are doing in Denver.

Kinda dumb how Ken is keeping secrets on who he’s gonna interview that’s real dumb!

12. By Bill on Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

Hynoski (sp) out of Pitt and Marecic from Stanford are two that stand out. I think Havili from USC is more of a runner/H-Back then they old-style Fullback. UCONN has a Senior FB that should be giving a look at. He stonewalled & flattened a few LB’s during the Fiesta Bowl.

13. By Jesse Robles on Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

You’re right, just hoping for a good offseason. Last years draft was pretty good, only time will really tell, but I personally liked it, and hope we have another like it this season.

14. By Frustrated on Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

Is Joey Suey a son of Matt Suey, the former Penn State rb?

15. By Darren Urban on Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

SteveDCO —

RE: Rehab

Not sure how that is taken care of financially (if a player is hurt playing, don’t know if that can be taken away). But they will have to find other places for treatment if we have a work stoppage.

16. By Darren Urban on Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Cards DC

They are supposed to be talking to other candidates. Do not believe any more have happened yet.

17. By Darren Urban on Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

Jim in Missouri —

RE: Rob Ryan

I don’t see it. And as my friend Kent Somers pointed out on Twitter, the Ryan family (don’t forget, Rob and Rex both were assistants under Buddy here) didn’t exactly win the hearts of the Bidwills while they were here.

18. By Darren Urban on Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

Frustrated —

RE: Suhey

That I do not know. Sounds right, though.

19. By mike b on Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

Jerome Johnson was out FB for that short time…. I cannot believe I can remember that. just reminding you of him.

20. By Darrel on Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

Darren So the fullback gets a contract but why is breaston just being ignored ?

21. By drumm-1 on Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

i’m glad to see that the cardinals fans are so positive..NOT.. everything i read is we need this we need that, than say but we wont we suck,wow gotta love fans like that.. @ Real i think you need to read Darren’s post a little closer..

22. By R Robles on Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren any big free agents we might be looking for at any position?

23. By georgiebird on Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

With the signing of Ali and the resulting comments, it becomes so obvious the sorry state of affairs around the Cardinals. Going into 2011, (excluding special teams) it seems like only 3 guys are sure shots to start- Larry, DD and Rhodes. The other guys, due to age, declining performance, inconsistencies, FA and draft are not assured to be starters.
    As time goes by, it becomes evident that the lousy performance of our defense in SB XLIII-(the defense of Dansby, Rolle, A-dub et al.)- will have robbed Cardinal fans of a once in a lifetime chance to win it all.
    Without sounding too morose, I think back to the great Peggy Lee song “Is that all there Is?”

24. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

So its sounds like Munusky got away?

25. By Darren Urban on Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

Darrel —

RE: FB/Breaston

I don’t really have to explain the difference between a fringe FB and a potential free agent, do I?

26. By Darren Urban on Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

R Robles —

RE: FAs

Until the CBA is figured out (and the resulting FA rules), we don’t even know who will be on the market.

27. By Darren Urban on Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

RodgersCromartie —

RE: Manusky

Yes, reports are he is taking the Chargers’ job.

28. By Chuck 1 on Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

Frustrated & Darren,

As a Penn State grad, I’m quite familiar with the Suhey family Penn State football history.
    Here is a short item that I found on Google.
    Joseph Steven Suhey is the son of Matt and Donna Suhey. His father was a standout running back at Penn State from 1976-79, rushing for 2,818 yards, good for No. 9 on the school career list, and 26 touchdowns before starting a lengthy career with the NFL Chicago Bears. Joe’s great-grandfather, Bob Higgins, was the second All-American in Penn State football history, receiving the honor in 1915 and again in 1919, and later served as head coach from 1930-48. Joe’s grandfather, Steve Suhey, was a letterman at guard in 1942 and again in 1946-47, earning All-America honors his senior season. He married one of Bob Higgins’ daughters, Ginger. Three of their sons, Paul, Larry and Matt, played for Penn State in the 1970s. One of Joe’s first cousins, Kevin Suhey, was a quarterback and special teams player for the Nittany Lions from 2005-07 and graduated in 2008.

29. By Emmett on Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

“Awful precious commodity to give to a position that plays about 20 plays a game.”

Says a beat writer for a team who selected Chris “Beanie” Wells in round one.

He’s not blowing 20 snaps a game out of the water pal…

30. By Darrel on Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

No but atleast they Can give him a sign they want him back

31. By brad oneill on Jan 13, 2011 | Reply

if someone prefers taking their chances with the chargers organization over ours we have a problem. i hope he is taking that job because he didn’t get very good indications that he was the likely guy here.

32. By ross on Jan 14, 2011 | Reply

Darren, super bowl pick?

33. By Rowlan on Jan 14, 2011 | Reply

WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE MORE THAN ANYTHING PERSONALLY THIS OFFSEASON, IS THE ADDITION OF A TRUE MOTIVATOR. COACH OR PLAYER! WHEN IS THE LAST TIME YOU HAVE SEEN ANYONE ON THIS COACHING STAFF GET IN A PLAYERS EAR OR FACE? OR LOOK LIKE THEY WERE PISSED TO BE 5-11!! EVEN VINCE TOBIN SHOWED SOME OCCASIONAL FLARE. ALL OF US NOW KNOW HOW MUCH KURT WARNER HAD TO DO WITH US GETTING TO THE SUPER BOWL, NOT THE COACHING STAFF. DAVE MCGINNIS WOULD HAVE SEALED THE DEAL. FOOTBALL IS A GAME OF PASSION…NOT BLANK STARES AND AH SHUCKS!!

34. By Peter in Canada on Jan 14, 2011 | Reply

Frustrated – He is indeed the son of Matt Suhey.

35. By Darren Urban on Jan 14, 2011 | Reply

Emmett —

RE: FB v RB

You are seriously going to compare the two positions in terms of drafting someone?

36. By Darren Urban on Jan 14, 2011 | Reply

Ross —

RE: Super Bowl

Hard to go against the Patriots, right?

37. By Emmett on Jan 14, 2011 | Reply

IIf you don’t think Arizona will use a fullback ever, that’s one thing. If you think the team will only use a fullback now and then, you have no argument. There are nearly a full dozen players drafted under Ken Whisenhunt that don’t play twenty snaps a game. Those players only true contribution to the team comes in spot offensive/defensive play, which is how the team’s fullback is used currently and special teams coverage units, which ANY mid-to-late round draft pick would be forced to play, including a fullback.

I really don’t see the point of bringing plays per game to light, unless you think the team will completely phase out the position. It makes no sense.

38. By cards62 on Jan 14, 2011 | Reply

Darren and other fans

I love football but do you think we really need 18 regular season games to know the teams that should make the playoffs? I have no problem if they give up a game or two in the preseason, but I do not want any more regular season games. Sometimes less is more, and the players bodies are beaten up well enough in 16 games.

I hope I am wrong but llike Steve DCO I think the owners are going to be slow and stupid and this will shorten next season and play havoc on our off season plans.

Cardinal fans be patient and stay positive this off season, and of course lets be smart and see what moves the team makes to be better. Positives so far is going after a new DC, and I think we all can agree the Cardinals are going to go after some new QBs. Negatives – No coaching changes on the offensive side of the ball, and for now head scratcher is what are their plans with Steve Breaston.

Concerning fullbacks I like a kid playing for OSU. I think he will only be a junior next year Zach Boren but blocks very well and catches the ball a llittle.

Offensive Line – Some have posted about picking up couple of kids from Wisconsin.. I do not think you could go wrong with picking these kids up. Wisconsin line and TE were awesome this year.

I think we need to add a no doubt stud with our 5th pick this year and if we can not find one at # 5 trade down some for extra picks.
    Go Cards and good to see so many post on the QB blog

39. By charlie on Jan 14, 2011 | Reply

Great Move Cards!….Ali is a church guy who is big, can block and have great hands. He’s also a leader, teamplayer and great locker room man! I can’t wait to see him hit somebody and break threw to get some touchdowns. He’s a beast on the field and is hungry.

40. By drumm-1 on Jan 14, 2011 | Reply

@Rowlan, just because you don’t see the players or coach’s get in soneone’s face doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen, are ever in the locker room, you guy’s will find anything to complain about… If you think the team is that bad why be a fan…the complaining is getting very old..

41. By Scott H on Jan 14, 2011 | Reply

Darren –
    Wow, now that Rowlan mentioned the name Dave McGinnis…I meant to ask you some time ago what ever happened to him??? Such a great guy. A great DC when he was here with the Cards way back when…just didn’t make it as a head coach, though. Seemed like he fell of the map after that. In addition to knowing what happened to him / where he’s been…would it be foolish to ask if he would be considered for a return as DC? Yes, I’m serious! He really was a heck of a DC, and I remember the Bears wanted him real bad as their head coach at one point, yes?

42. By brad oneill on Jan 14, 2011 | Reply

Game set match- emmet.

roflmao

43. By carlo7000 on Jan 14, 2011 | Reply

darren
    manushky))) i dont why he confirmed his interwiew with cardinals and cowboys when it was pretty obvious he was going to take the chargers’s job

44. By Darren Urban on Jan 14, 2011 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: McGinnis

He has been Fisher’s right-hand man in Tennessee for quite a few years now.

He wouldn’t come back here.

45. By BleedingRetina on Jan 14, 2011 | Reply

WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE is a lot less typeing in all capitol letters.

46. By latch on Jan 14, 2011 | Reply

This article points out what I was trying to say about all the people that can only say pay,pay,pay;the Bidwells are cheap,etc,etc……….

47. By Voice of Reason on Jan 14, 2011 | Reply

Plus Coach Mac is a 4-3 guy, always has been from his days coaching linebackers for the Bears.

Actually Manusky intrigued me at first, but I have to be honest, the more I read about him the less I liked him. Not sure what kind of an upgrade he’d be over Davis or Pendergast.

What about Dave Wannstedt? Eric Mangini? I know the latter is selective about where he goes, but I’d view him as an upgrade.

Please don’t just make the D-line coach the “running game defense coordinator” and the secondary coach “passing game defense coordinator.”

My tongue is in cheek on the last statement, I think…

48. By SteveDCO on Jan 14, 2011 | Reply

Passion in Profootball?

The reason people throught Carroll wouldn’t makie it is he is an all passion guy. He is having a good year but will be intresting to see if his act gets old on pro platers. It already has failed x2

Mike Singultary was one of the most firey coaches I have seen in the last few years and one of the worst coaches I have seen in the last year years.

I for one don’t want a return to the “We are who we thought they were days” or having a Ryan get more press than the team.

There is a reason the players rescpect Coach Whiz and want to play for him.

As for Rhodes, Fitz and DD being the only returning starters..gimme a break!

You can’t just cut everyone and resign FAs.

Cambell, Williams, Schofield, Haggens, Washington, Lenon, Wilson, DRC, Toler are all 90%+ to be starters to start the year along with Rhodes and nine-0. Yes all 11 starters are on the roster today.

Any rookies will be brought slowly into the system. FAs are the only reason I don’t say they guys are 100% and that’s probably only Toler if a vet CB is signed or Haggens/ Schofield if a stud OLB is signed (which I don’t see happening)

Davis was let go because there was talent on the D side of the ball but the schemes and effort weren’t there. A new DC should fix this (if we can get the right one)

The reason no changes will be made on the O side of the ball is the talent wasn’t there especially at QB.

Fitz, Johnson, Hightower/Wells and Brown are all 90% to be returning starters (Fitz obviously is 100%)

The rest of the line are FAs along with Breaaton.

QB is a dead horse we have beat enough but obviously the play here must improve. I believe it will be a veteran QB and Skelton fighting for the starting spot. The CBA and lack of a great QB to take at #5 will prevent the Cards from trying to fill the spot through the draft in 2011.

49. By Rowlan on Jan 14, 2011 | Reply

drumm-1

if you are happy with 2 winning seasons in the last 12 years, i’m glad for you. but i’m a competitor born into 3 generations of cardinals fans. so if i’m a little pissed watching the team crash back down, SORRY. at 15 years old i sat in my room in Missouri and prayed i would get to see a gamebreak to a cardinals game just so i could see our new draft pick Simeon Rice play. i broke my table when plummer hit rob moore in the corner of the endzone against Dallas only to be forced out of bounds in a miraculous comeback. i cried when adrian murrell broke off his big run in our first playoff vitory in my lifetime. and i thought the dying wish of my dad was finally going to come true when fitz scored in the superbowl. when the university of phoenix stadium was finished, i drove my two sons 900 miles to see the cardinals new home. was a fan then, am a fan now, and my family always will be.

50. By Real on Jan 14, 2011 | Reply

Its kinda funny how all of us fans are worried about all the real talented DC coaches getting snatched up by other teams and Ken is waiting on what they are going to do in Pittsburgh. Butler isn’t coming here so give up ken, also just found out that Rob Ryan will sign with the Cowboys. WOW

Ken hurry up and get the job done, wth is with this wait and see approach that gets you nowhere.

51. By Chuck 1 on Jan 14, 2011 | Reply

By drumm-1 on Jan 14, 2011 | Reply
    @Rowlan, … If you think the team is that bad why be a fan…the complaining is getting very old..

TO: drumm-1 {and other fans who don’t agree with those of us who are dissatisfied with a record of 5-11 and see no signs of s SIGNIFICANT change in the coaching staff and roster or a commitment (not just words, but ACTIONS i.e. $$$$$$$$$$) of the Bidwills to improve the team}: If you are satisfied with the performance of YOUR Cards’ team that ended up in the bottom SIXTH of the NFL, you are an unusual fan.

(If there is a full season in 2011), look for a record of 6-10.

52. By Chuck 1 on Jan 14, 2011 | Reply

Off topic from this thread:

I have never been a fan of signing players, mainly because they played their college ball near the geographical location of the professional team e.g. Hall.

I notice a few posters who are suggesting signing players who are from Utah and BYU or the Far West.

How about signing players who are acknowledged to be top drawer players regardless of where they played?

53. By Ctownbeatdown on Jan 14, 2011 | Reply

what happend to the kid we traded jorrick calvin for?

54. By jbird on Jan 14, 2011 | Reply

Do you think they will bring charles scott back for another look? They traded for him last preseason, but he was not on the team long. He was a stud at LSU.

55. By AndyStandsUp on Jan 14, 2011 | Reply

Darren picking the Patriots?
    No allegiance to the NFC West(?) and I thought you didn’t make game predictions anyway.
    If you’re going to follow the Cards SB timeline then the Seahawks will defeat Green Bay in Seattle and the Steelers will win in NE,which will pair SEA with PITTS with Hassleback throwing an out of bounds pass to Mike Willaims, which the refs will inexplicitly call in, to win the game.
    Like LeBron said, Karma is a ****** and Goodell see everything.
    You have to remember

56. By Eazy E on Jan 14, 2011 | Reply

We don’t want McGinnis

57. By TXcardsfan on Jan 15, 2011 | Reply

drumm-1,

RE: getting in someone’s face

You are correct just because we don’t see a person getting in faces doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. However we did see a team that laid down on MNF in front of everyone against a very beatable 49ers team. Also it seems to me the Defense only showed up when they felt like it and during the 7 game losing streak it would be hard to call the team anything other than a collective group of quitters. There needs to be a motivator and a vocal leader on this team like there was in 08 when the team shocked the world and made it to the SB. I remember Todd Haley and Kurt Warner getting in some faces that year. As for complaining, if you are a true fan that supports a team financially and you don’t voice your feeling in a 5-11 season and you keep supporting that team without change if they show no signs of improving or moving forward you are a foolish fan in my book. That doesn’t make you a bad fan it makes you a fan that holds you team accountable for the dollars you spend to fill their bank account.

58. By Scott H on Jan 15, 2011 | Reply

Thanks, Darren. I really had no idea he was with Tennessee. Don’t see a lot of Titans games…I can’t help wondering if the Cards have their sights set on someone not avaialable right now because their team(s) are still playing. Have heard Butler’s name kicking around…and while I’m ready to be done with former Steelers players who have little or nothing left, I certainly wouldn’t mind any of their defensive coaches coming here!

59. By D on Jan 15, 2011 | Reply

TE
    Cards need to watch the OAK situation this offseason. If the labor deal gets done in March, like John Clayton thinks, we will have free agency this spring. Word on the street, Al Davis will trade anyone for draft picks, he is looking to blow it up again. Cards should see if they could get Z. Miller for a 4th rounder.

60. By Darren Urban on Jan 15, 2011 | Reply

Voice —

RE: New DC/tongue in cheek

I know you were making a joke, but Whisenhunt did say the new DC would not be coming from within the current staff.

61. By Darren Urban on Jan 15, 2011 | Reply

Ctown/jbird —

RE: Calvin trade/Charles Scott

Not sure. Part of his problem was that he was a tweener, not quite big enough to be a FB but not quick enough to be an RB.

62. By Boondock on Jan 15, 2011 | Reply

Sean McDermott was released from the Eagles today…We need to hire this guy as the DC options left don’t look too appealing.

Some stats about Philly D this year:
    12th in in yards allowed, third in interceptions, and in the top ten in sacks

Sounds good to me…what do you think Urb?

63. By Darren Urban on Jan 15, 2011 | Reply

Boondock —

RE: McDermott

I think I just read the Eagles RZ D gave up 36 TDs in 46 RZ trips this season, worst in the NFL in 20 years.

Can he do the job? Maybe (he’s a 4-3 guy, so …). But again, you are always going to find warts if you are looking for them. There is no perfect guy.

64. By D on Jan 15, 2011 | Reply

Def Cord

I have a name for you D. Urban. Kevin Greene. If the Pack lose tonight-he might be making a trip to Tempe this week.

65. By georgiebird on Jan 15, 2011 | Reply

Glad to see that Jackie Smith now has company. Q joins Smith as ex-Cardinals who have dropped easy ones for their new teams. Although there’s a lot of blame to go around, never liked the way Q handled his last two years in AZ- sorry but I root for the uniform.

66. By EAGLE on Jan 15, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,

It’s Eagle’. I just sat here and watched the Ravens give up a 14 point lead to the blankin Steelers!! It makes me sick to my stomach!! first of all, how do you just surrender At halftime to a team that you hate!! I am and always will be a Q fan!!! They didn’t utilize him at all!! Replays showed that Q was open all day and Flacco didn’t see him! now I am not saying that Q is wishing he didn’t leave AZ, but it seems to me as though the star of the Ravens is Todd Heap!! I know he wanted to go to a play-off contention team, but I don’t think he wanted to be cut out!! It appears as though that is what the Ravens did!! For the record, I HATE BEN ROETHLISBERGER!!!!! HE SWHOULD NOT EVEN BE ALLOWED TO PLAY IN THIS LEAGUE, AND BECAUSE HE HAS MONEY HE CAN GET AWAY WITH, RAPING A YOUNG GIRL!!!!! HE MAKES ME SICK AMD SO DOES THE OWNER OF THE STEELERS!!!!! MR. ROONEY MAKES ME SICK!!! I FULLY AGREE WITH WHAT TERRY BRADSHAW SAID SEVERAL WEEKS AGO!!!! IF i WAS THE OIWNER OF THE STEELERS, I WOULD GET RID OF ROETHLESBERGER!! HE DOESN’T DESERVE TO PLAY PROFFESIONAL FOOTBALL!!! IT IS A PRIVELEDGE HE GAVE UP WHEN HE RAPED NOT ONLY ONE YOUNG LADY, BUT TWO!!!!!! BUT MONEY WALKS AND B.S. TALKS,AND THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT BIG BEN ROETHLESBERGER IS FULL OF!!!! I WOULD BE WILLING TO BET THAT ALL OF THOSE REFS WHO CALLED THAT GAME WERE FROM PITTSBURGH, JUST LIKE THE GAME AGAINST MIAMI!!!! I REALLY HOPE SOMEONE KNOCKS THE BLANKIN STELLERS OUT NEXT WEEK, DOWN WITH ROETHLESBERGER!!!!!

67. By TXcardsfan on Jan 15, 2011 | Reply

RE: McDermott,

Yes there is no perfect guy at this point because they have all been hired by other teams during our wait and see approach. But then again it’s not my job to hire a new DC. I just hope Whiz has a plan that we can see (as he usually does), because at this point things are looking bleak. I just hope we didn’t change DC’s for the sake of changing DC’s and we are upgrading this position. That’s my two cents not that there worth much.

68. By EAGLE on Jan 15, 2011 | Reply

Sorry Darren,

this is my only way to vent!!! The Steelers are a dirty team!! Which makes Tomlinson a dirty coach!!! I would rather see the Patriots win than the STEELERS, and I hate the PATS too!!!!!!

69. By Garrtt on Jan 15, 2011 | Reply

Speaking of the Cardinals bring guys back. Any word or thoughts on the Cardinals bring back Dean Muhtadi this off-season for a shot at a 2011 roster spot?

70. By Chuck 1 on Jan 15, 2011 | Reply

Unless major coaching staff and roster changes and much better personnel decisions are made, expect the following season records (assuming an agreement by the players and owners):
    2011: 6-10
    2012: 7-9
    2013: 8-8
    2014: 8-8
    And, Whiz will be gone sometime during that run.

71. By drumm-1 on Jan 15, 2011 | Reply

@ Rowlan i feel your pain i was born in St.Louis, MO.. i remember listening to the games on the radio because of all the blackouts, i’ve been a fan since 1979, move to Az in 85, we looked good the last couple of years this was just a down year, give them time to make the change’s they need to make before you guys bash them.. @ Chuck 1,You made my point things was looking good it drop’d off this season instead of giving them time to fix it you want to fire the hole coaching staff and start over that a good way to build a team, you want them to rush and just sign anyone just to show they are making moves,there’s no cba, so they cant sign anyone at this time.The season is not fully over and you are complaining that they haven’t made any move’s it’s a long offseason give it time and not jump the gun..

72. By brad oneill on Jan 15, 2011 | Reply

maybe we could make our current offensive coordinator the defense coordinator he held us to like 12 offensive touchdowns this year.

73. By drumm-1 on Jan 15, 2011 | Reply

@ txcardsfan, i am a true cards fan, it’s just the last 2 ,3 years we’re good and we had a down season and it’s not fully over and most fans are mad because they haven’t done anything yet when they can’t beause of the cba..i just get tired of the fans saying what the time needs and should do, which doesn’t bother me it’s the part when the say,but we wont do that because the team dont wanna win or it’s the cardinal they dont care, i say wait to see what move’s they make when they are able to make them before you keep bashing them, thats what bothers me..

by the way are you on the cards message board, i’ve made a hotmail,yahoo, aol, account and still can’t get on what account do i need..

74. By cody on Jan 15, 2011 | Reply

do you think the hiring of Keith Butler could put us in postion to lure Lamar Woodley away from Pittsburgh? i heard hes not too happy about not getting an extension, and we have been known to pick up former Steelers.

75. By brad oneill on Jan 16, 2011 | Reply

for those of you panicking about grabbing a dc. i would just like to remind all of you how angry you were that we went out and grabbed DA without waiting until bulger or mcnabb or whoever else became available.

The defensive coordinators available right now are either college coaches or not in the playoffs.

the choices will actually get better with a little patience.

76. By Scott H on Jan 16, 2011 | Reply

Darren / Boondock –

RE: McDermott

Just to clarify, the Eagles had the WORST red zone defense in the NFL in the last 25 YEARS!!! No, we DO NOT need to hire this guy. We need someone with a proven track record of success as a DC. That is not McDermott at this point in his career. He’s a very young guy, and I don’t think he was ready to be a DC when the Eagles gave him the role after Jim Johnson died. After two season, apparently, neither do the Eagles. I think he needs to spend more time as a position coach. But right now? I’ll pass. Speaking of the Eagles, give them credit for grabbing Dick Jauron last year and stashing him on their staff as a consultant. I would have suggested him as a candidate for our DC spot but now that the Eagles just fired McDermott…I’m assuming Jauron is going to be THEIR next DC. Nothing wrong with being pro-active and prepared…

77. By Scott H on Jan 16, 2011 | Reply

Anyone notice the Packers using an exact same play that the Cardinals used against them last year in the playoffs? Remember the Cardinals using Darnell Dockett in the offensive backfield as a blocker on a running play for Hightower from the 2 yard line? The Packers used the SAME EXACT formation in yesterday’s game and executed it EXACTLY THE SAME as the Cardinals did. The d-lineman they used even wore #90, just like Double-D.

Aaron Rodgers is so good, it’s scary. Watching him slice and dice the Falcons yesterday was just like watching him shred the Cardinals last year. Only difference was, we had a QB who was capable of being every bit as good ( even better ) and our offense was also able to score every time we had the ball. It made me want to thank Kurt Warner again for being as great as he was, and for the success we had when he was here.

Also, very sad to see Boldin drop what should have been a TD reception late in that game yesterday. It was a tough catch, to be sure, but definitely one that he normally makes. It’s a shame that he had so much to do with helping them get where they were this year…and now, he’ll be remembered for not coming up with that ONE catch.

78. By TSHIF on Jan 16, 2011 | Reply

Darren.

heard this rumor want to see if there is any truth to it. cards trading #5 pick to washington for #10 and Mcnabb. This could be a big trade, allow mcnabb to start and groom skelton into what we all think he could be and take the #10 pick and draft and o line to get more protection? Since there isnt a top t o lineman but there is one in the top ten… let me know if youve heard any thing about this. I personally love it.

79. By Chuck1 on Jan 16, 2011 | Reply

Where is the pursuit of an Offensive Coordinator?
    There is no indication that Whiz or Miller are the answer i.e. they were OFFENSIVE.

80. By EAGLE on Jan 16, 2011 | Reply

I guess I should have said MONEY TALKS AND B.S. WALKS!!!! Acouple too many beers I guess.

81. By John on Jan 16, 2011 | Reply

Darren-

Any chance we can trade for Aaron Rodgers? I hear the Packers aren’t happy with his play.

82. By Chuck1 on Jan 16, 2011 | Reply

For all of the fans who say that the Bidwills aren’t cheap, how do you explain the fact that the Cards have the fourth lowest payroll in the NFL??????????????

83. By Darren Urban on Jan 16, 2011 | Reply

Garrett —

RE: Mutahdi

Good question. I guess I could see it, although I wouldn’t anticipate anything until after a new CBA.

84. By Darren Urban on Jan 16, 2011 | Reply

Cody —

RE: Woodley

First they would actually have to get Butler, and right now I don’t see that as anything I would be certain about happening. After that, it would all have to do with money and the situation. Sure I could see it, but again, lot of moving parts this offseason, more than usual.

85. By Darren Urban on Jan 16, 2011 | Reply

TSHIF —

RE: “trade”

First, no trade for a player can happen without a new CBA. Second, I don’t think the Cards are going to chase McNabb and if they do, it would be as a free agent — they’ll never pay him $15M or whatever he is owed on his current contract. I don’t think he will get that anywhere. Third, is this “rumor” actually a rumor, or is this something a fan proposed?

86. By TXcardsfan on Jan 16, 2011 | Reply

drumm-1,

I got you man I hate the fair weather fans that jump ship way to easy as well. I am a 2nd generation cards fan since 88 when I was old enough to know what football was. I think we all want the same thing after so many years of being the Cowboys 9th home game and always finding ways to lose games. I just hope we didn’t change DC for the sake of just making change. Here’s to a good off-season CBA willing.

Not sure about the message board I guess I’m not on it.

87. By drumm-1 on Jan 16, 2011 | Reply

@ Chuck 1, Why pay for talent thats not out there, if we paid all our players 14mil and 37 mil signing bonus would that make you happy,spending money does not gurantee winning just ask the cowboys and the redskins..the other 28 teams who’s payroll is higher than ours are they in the playoff,just saying spending money just to spend it doesn’t make a playoff team..

88. By Darrel on Jan 16, 2011 | Reply

Isn’t it crazy that the 4 qbs Left in the playoffs. Can all make plays outside the pocket, cardinals Should be taking notes. Pure pocket passer are slowly dying out of the nfl we need cam newton ..he is the next coming of josh freeman

89. By BIGCARDFAN on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

JUST HOPE THE CARDS GET CLAY BROTHER IN THE 2ND ROUND SENCE WE HAVE A EARLY ONEAND THAT WE NEED MORE LB SO HE BE GOOD CAUSE HE FAST U SEEN WHEN U CHASE DOWN CAM AND CAUSE A FUMBLE

90. By Chuck 1 on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

To: drumm-1

Are you saying that Peppers is not talented and has had no impact in his team’s performance? Be wise in spending money e.g. don’t reward players like Albert Hayneworth (sp?) (and, Vince Young).
    I agree that teams like the Patriots excel and still have a relatively low payroll.
    That tells me that their Scouting Department and coaches do a much better job than the Cards’ organization does.

Oh, and for some of our posters: Buy a dictionary. And, capitalize the correct letters. And, don’t capitalize all of your posts. It hurts my eyes.

91. By drumm-1 on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

@ Chuck 1 point taken.. I just have a problem with everyone wanting to get and pay top dollars for every F.A that comes available, it’s always he need him, give him what he wants…

@ Darren, i’ve made like 3 e-mail address’s trying to get on the message board, i’ve have a hotmail, yahoo,aol,What can i used to get on? i got on about 3 years ago with my hotmail.. can you help me out?

92. By Darren Urban on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Drumm —

Re: Message board

Not that the message board is my domain, but we had so many problems with people creating the “easy” e-mails (yahoo, hotmail, etc.) and then trolling/spamming/inflaming that the decision was made that you had to have a more “permanent” e-mail to register.

93. By SteveDCO on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

The bottom 5 teams in payroll in 2009/2010 all made the playoffs in 2010/2011. The Cards were #8 that year.

You have to reload sometimes all great teams do it.

Any one has a link to the 2010/2011 NFL payroll please post,I have not been able to find it.

The Bidwills have not looked cheap since moving to UoP stadium.

They are keeping their core players. That’s what you should expect them to do.

They have also made Whiz one of the highest paid HCs.

Great teams don’t keep all their great players.

Anyone remeber how Dallas was treated for letting Alvin Harper go to Tampa?

Or when they let Larry Brown go after being Super Bowl MVP?

That’s when they were a great team. Now they keep everyone and sign a ton of FAs and they are mediocre.