Waiting on a DC

Posted by Darren Urban on January 17, 2011 – 10:22 am

As I complete what was a four-day weekend for me (i.e., don’t expect anything else today), just wanted to touch base after an interesting playoff weekend for the NFL:

– I don’t think the second interview for a defensive coordinator position came off last week, but I could be wrong. Maybe something was done over the phone, or pushed back. I don’t know. Obviously, if there is interest in a playoff coach — like Pittsburgh’s Keith Butler — that has been put on hold with the Steelers winning again. I don’t know if it means the Cards will move on or if they will continue to wait, or even if coach Ken Whisenhunt knows unofficially if he can or cannot get a chance at Butler. I think back to the Cards’ Super Bowl run, when Todd Haley becoming the Chiefs’ head coach was the worst kept secret around even though technically Haley was still coaching and hadn’t even had an interview yet. (And no, I’m not saying that is happening with Butler or anyone else, before someone runs with “Darren Urban is reporting Whisenhunt is having secret talks with a DC candidate.”)

– Senior Bowl week starts in a week, when every coach in the world descends on Mobile, Alabama. That too can be a place where candidates are found/interviewed.

– As I mentioned on Twitter, the Seahawks’ playoff run ended up mirroring the Cards’ 2009 playoffs (shootout home win then decisive road loss) than the 2008 team (home win and then shocking the world on the road to earn a home game in the NFC Championship).

– Man, did Santonio Holmes’ TD catch Sunday bring back some haunting memories.

– I am shocked Anquan dropped that pass. Although how does a defense like the Ravens’ give up third-and-19?

– Watching Aaron Rodgers dice up the competition every week, I keep thinking he would have done the same thing last year in the playoffs had Kurt Warner not come up with one of the greatest playoff performances ever. There was irony in that thought when people were trying to put into perspective how great Rodgers was against Atlanta — and he was, but still not quite up with Warner’s game versus the Packers.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

139 Responses to “Waiting on a DC”

1. By Chris on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Excellent points on both Holmes’ catch (ouch revisited) and Warner’s perfect game last year. Funny how one year removed Rodgers has the “best game ever”, when Kurt’s was really the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen from a QB.

2. By tom manoogian on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

well it looks like 2 good years and then a year like 5-11,will scare players and coaches to come to arizona.squeezing in 2 good years around 20 bad ones is not attractive to most.just don’t think the cards can bring in big name coaches and big time players WHO are not way over there prime.sure hope i’m wrong,but i don’t think so.

3. By jocards on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

So true about the Holmes catch! Looked awfully familiar.

4. By Chuck 1 on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

To answer your question, Darren; The way that the Ravens gave up the third-and-19 was the three man rush.
    I, and I think most fans, are not in favor of a three man rush, especially when the QB is as good as Rothlesberger and he has time to throw to good receivers.
    Prevent defenses (of which a three man rush is a part of) is one way to prevent the team that is leading to win the game.

5. By Paul on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

The grass isn’t always greener as they say. A. Bolden caught 64 passes during the regular season and was bounced out of the playoffs in the second round just like last season with the Cards. He caught 84 passes last year. Now I see where people in Baltimore are complaining about how slow their receivers are. Be careful what you wish for.

6. By Darren Urban on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Chuck 1 —

RE: 3-man rush

The Jets, who used the 3-man rush a lot yesterday to confound Brady, wholeheartedly disagree.

7. By ross on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Darren, a revised suberbowl pick? I am going with the jets vs pack. Two wild card teams…that would be a first I believe. And the pack wins it.

8. By Real on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Anquan didn’t drop that ball if you look closely it hit him in the shoulder and that catch didn’t bring back haunting memories at all. This is a Arizona Cardinals Site, didn’t realize we needed to talk about other teams. And the lame Seahawks didn’t resemble the Cards at all, they got lucky and that’s period.

Man Ken needs to keep the damn fans in the loop to whats going on with our team instead of us hearing through ESPN and the NFL NETWORK to whats going on.

9. By D on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

That Boldin drop was a shock, his blamming a low pass afterwards in the locker room reminded me on Q not celebrating the Cards big playoff victory.

Can Coach Whiz interview a coach that has a title of assistant head coach with another team? The assistant in GB that came from the U in college maybe a person of interest…

10. By formerAZresident on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

The holmes catch wasn’t clean in the superbowl the jets have better cornerbacks to do 3 man rush

11. By Real on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Paul, get the hell outta here with them lame stats. Boldin caught less because he has a sorry QB and its that simple.

People in here don’t even know football as I can see.

12. By Dustin D on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Agree with both. Depends on what 3 are rushing. Seen the cards lose way to many games over the years in prevent. Did see where jets didnt blitz nearly as mauch as last year and seamed towork.

13. By Flood on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Darren, I’m sure you didn’t DVR the Packers-Falcons but I had to rewind it when Joe Buck was talking about Rodgers’ three great playoff performances and appearing to heading towards 3 for 3 (playoff wins)?!? What? It is funny how quickly Joe forgot Aaron lost the first one in the greatest live football game I’ve ever seen and a perfect performance by Warner! Plus, I always thought in order to be undefeated in the playoffs you would have to have a ring to show for it.
    By any chance did you catch that gaffe?

14. By GREENE on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

I sure hope the J-E-T-S dont lay a huge egg in pittsburgh but with the refs playing for pittsburgh it will be hard for them not to. I sure hope Green Bay has enough left to beat up on the stillers in dallas. Anyways – Kevin Greene is my pick for DC. We need another x-player as a coach.. Did you see the way he had his D huddle around him in Atlanta. He’s the one that will have our D unstoppable

15. By Brian R. on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Maybe we should go after Singletary. Why not? He would have a ( i guess you can say ) knack for the 49ers, and he knows them better than anyone in our staff. We need someone proven. Hire Kurt Warner for QB coach.

16. By jocards on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Darren-

I’m fairly certain you are not in favor of the Cardinals bringing in Vince Young, nor do you believe they are interested in doing so and you may well be right. However don’t you think the team has to at least seriously consider bringing him in? I know Young has “character issues” and I’m not sure that I’m real comfortable with the thought of taking htose issues on in either but looking at the prospects that are available through FA/draft it starts to seem like a decent idea. He’s a young guy that has made some mistakes but he does have some talent and has been pretty good on the field. Perhaps a change of scenery and a different coaching staff would help him to grow up and begin to live up to his potential. If the Cards were sitting there with a bunch of other viable options I’d say take a pass on Vince Young but the available options at QB don’t look very appealing and obviously this team has a desperate need at QB. To me there is some potential upside with Vince Young that might not be there with McNabb, Bulger, etc. and depending on what it would take to get him to Arizona it might be worth considering. Your thoughts?

17. By georgiebird on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

The defensive scheme must fit the personnel- unless Dan W is going to be very special the 3-4 will never work for the Cards against good QBs.
    Yes, the Jets run a 3-4 but their linebackers are all much bigger than ours.
    Whiz can be stubborn but you can’t run a 3-4 with an average NT and small LBs.
    As I have told you on many occasions, the Cards have not had a real good defense in the 50 years I’ve been a fan. Just check the pro-bowl selections since 1960 and see how many front seven guys the Cards have sent.
    Defense is not a Whiz problem; bad defenses are endemic to the Cardinals, that’s why the hiring of a DC is the most important thing the Cards will do this off-season.
    When I look back on the Cardinals it was Charley Johnson in the 60s, Jim Hart in the 70s and Hart and Lomax in the 80s- about 30 years and only three QBs. As far as long term front seven guys- there is no one worth mentioning. That’s got to change if the Cards want to turn it around-finding another Warner is a pipe dream.

18. By Darren Urban on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Real —

RE: Knowledge

Wow. I thought you didn’t want to talk about non-Cardinals stuff. So I don’t understand why you’d even broach the subject about Anquan.

19. By Darren Urban on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Flood —

RE: Buck

I had the game on but to be honest, wasn’t listening too closely. I did think at the time that Warner was getting quickly forgotten though — not that Rodgers wasn’t excellent.

20. By Darren Urban on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

jocards —

RE: VY

I think I look at everyone. That’s No. 1.

But to be frank, I’d lean toward McNabb before Young. I think there is upside, sure. But Young is so far from being a polished product, and yet he is already five years into his career. I’m not sure he can change his spots this deep in; i.e., suddenly deciding to become a “gym rat” and work harder. Whisenhunt would never bring him in and give him the starting job. He’d have to earn it. Do you think Young has it in him to earn it, and not sulk if he doesn’t? That’s how the Leinart situation got so tangled at the end, and like I said before, and I think Young is 10 times worse in dealing with such situations.

21. By Paul on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Real-

I blame Anquan for that dropped pass.

If the ball hits you ANYWHERE in that area (midsection, shoulders, etc), as a pro it is YOUR obligation to make that catch….especially in a playoff game!

Don’t make excuses for Q.
    He’s a pro, making millions & millions of dollars…I think he can handle some well-deserved criticism.

22. By cowboyssuck on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

cards don’t necessarily need a big name coach. they need an innovative, creative coach that can adapt to his personnel. there’s got to be an brilliant no name nfl assistant waiting to be found and given an opportunity, even the college ranks warrant consideration. variations of these offenses have been around for many years on all levels of football. cards coaches and front office get to work!

23. By jocards on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

I agree that Whisenhunt would not hand Young the starting job nor should he…Reports that VY doesn’t work hard enough definitely concern me too. I’m not sure if he has it in him to go out and earn the starting job and am even less certain he’d not sulk if he didn’t earn it. To me though he has some talent and if one can harness that talent he is still at an age where he could develop and be the answer at a vital position…Even given the fact that he is not a polished product he has a pretty good passer rating for his career and more importantly has been a winner on the field in this league. Of course he could also be the type to learn absolutely nothing from his past experiences and just continue behaving the same way he’s accustomed to behaving which would be a disaster for him and any team that tabs him as their guy. Tempting to me though….

24. By pacardsfan on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

What is your view on the “waiting game” going on for a DC ? A lot of other DC positions have been filled at this point , the latest being Rob Ryan to the Cowgirls. Have we not figured out that the Cards version of the waiting game is one of the factors that hurt us this year in the QB situation. And what is the point in not releasing DA right now, not having him on the team is a lot worse that having him. Maybe Whiz has his motives for this waiting but I for one cant see it.

25. By joe67 on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Like I said earllier in the year, when people kept whining about Bolden being gone, he didn’t have that great of a year.. That is FOUR catches per game. Wow, for the MILLIONS he got from the Ravens. People complain about the Bidwills, but what if you owned a team and got FOUR catches a game fo rthe money you spent. Bolden, Dansby and Rolle were good players, but none were worth the money they got!! PERIOD!!

26. By Phoenixraven1 on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Excellent answer!!!

27. By Papi1960R on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Just some thoughts. Remembering Santonio Holmes’ winning catch, he was being shadowed by Ralph Brown and Aaron Fransico, both special teams players not starters. They were in for the final drive in that horrible 3 down linemen prevent defense. Ralph Brown had his right arm up and then put his hand down. Watch the video, the ball misses Brown’s bent elbow by about 1-2 inches. Good catch, but more of a defensive miscue by a journeyman player. On the 3-4 defense, with Washington and Schofield we have two bigger fast young LBs. You can have smaller LBs in a 3-4, but you have to have atleast one dominant DE/DT. We do not. I’m still surprized that the Cards did not even call Julius Peppers when he became a free agent. That man had personally destroyed the Cardinals for years. A DC would be great, but a dominant pass rusher would be better, trade 1st rd picks down to about 18-20th take Cam Newton( you can’t coach winning) and another big fast young LB. Do not waste time or money on any QB who has not been at their best this past year.
    PS I would actually take a flyer and check out Alex Smith as a FA, he played very well when his head coaches were on short leashes, not so well when they had free riegn to brow beat the team.

28. By Papi1960R on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

One other thought, GeorgieBird is correct. I was at the game when Charley Johnson got hurt and Jim Hart came in off the bench. 3 QBs in 26 years. I love Kurt Warner, still we have to get continuity at QB for atleast 5-6 years minimum to become a power that stays at the top. Teams that have good solid QB play for atleast 6 years, have no problem assembling the rest of the talent around that QB to be a power for 8-10-12years. McNabb has not played in more than 12 games in a season for 6 years due to constant injuries, too many miles. Do not waste a penny on this old man. With the CBA in limbo it is a hard time to speculate, but any player without a gauranteed contract, and a salary over 2-3 million might be a free agent real soon.

29. By Scott H on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

I think the catch Holmes made against the Cards in the SB was far more remarkable than the catch he made yesterday. He didn’t have a centimeter to spare on that catch in the SB…yesterday’s catch was also a great one but when you saw the replay, you saw that he really got down and in bounds with room to spare.

Well, for those who were calling for the head of Billy Davis by the end of the season ( like myself ), here is an interesting something…listening to sports talk radio out here in Philly this morning where they were talking about their next DC when I start hearing the name Billy Davis being mentioned. And appartently, there had been an on-line poll going on to see who the fans wanted for their next DC in Philly. The candidates were Dick Jauron, Jim Mora Jr, Billy Davis, and “Someone Else.” At the time of the up-date that I heard, “Someone Else” was leading the field with over 600 votes, Mora Jr was next with just over 400 votes, Jauron was third with just under 300 votes, and WAAAAAAAY in last place was Billy Davis with – ready for this? – 12 votes! I guess he doesn’t have a lot of fans out here, either.

BTW, I’m hearing that Jim Mora Jr might end up being the guy to take over as DC in Philly. That might make Jauron available, and I’ve actually heard that he will be interviewing in Cleveland for their DC spot. I mentioned before that he would be a guy I could get excited about. Darren, do you know if his name has even been on the Cardinals’ radar?

I second the opinion about Warner’s performance against the Packers last year. Had to be the single greatest perofrmance by a QB I’ve ever seen. What else can you say when a guy completes 29 of 33 passes, throws for almost 400 yards, and ends up with more TD passes than in-completions??? I’ve been a football fan during the careers of Montana, Elway, Favre, Marino, Manning, Brady, and anyone else you want to name that played during that time…and I’ve never seen anything like what Warner did that night. Simply amazing.

30. By Chuck 1 on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Thinking of Coordinators (specifically OFFENSIVE Coordinators):
    From my research of all of the teams’ links on NFL.com:
    Of the 32 NFL teams, four teams have new Head coaches (who have not completed their staffs) and the Rams have an OC vacancy (because Shurmur was selected to be the head coach of the Browns).
    Ergo, 27 teams remain.
    Only THREE of the 27 teams DO NOT have one person designated as “OC”: the KC Chiefs, NE Patriots and the Cards.
    Graves and Whiz: SELECT SOMEONE TO BE THE OC (other than Whiz)!!!

31. By RelayTV on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

I have given up hoping that Whiz will return to the days when the team had a dedicated O.C. calling the plays, but there are still a few major improvements that can be done.

1. We bring in an experienced, veteran QB with career accuracy and winning percentage over 50%.

2. We hire a D.C. from a team with a top 10 defense.

3. We sign a pro-bowl cornerback to patch the gaping hole in our secondary.

These 3 things CANNOT be solved in the draft. Rookies get us nowhere in 2011.

Although I will ALWAYS be a loyal Cardinal fan at heart, If the ownership cannot spend the money to fix at least these problems, I will not be supporting the team with my MONEY next season.

It’s not friends, it’s business. Field a better team, or I cheer from home in last year’s jersey.

Period.

32. By Real on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Darren i addressed the statement about boldin because yall dont know what the hell yall talking about. The ball hit him in the shoulder plain and simple. People hate him because he wanted to get paid but they didnt want to pay him so they traded him. He gave blood for this team so who cares what the lames think. Yall need to talk about why ken is afraid to hire people smarter than him.

33. By D on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Solution for QB next year….

maybe they should give 1% ownership to P. Manning and go for it!

34. By Oz on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

If you’re referring to Holmes’ catch being reminiscent of a certain Super Bowl….(game show buzzer). Ah, no. This weekends catch WAS actually inbounds.

35. By Timbo-in-NC on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

I think Vince would work out,he has all the skillz and if you get him outta TN he would be a different person.I watched him in a few games last year and he is really good just a natural and if he could get with the right people in AZ he would be great and as far as McNabb his days are numbered, I like him but he would just be a bandaid…

36. By Ric Amidei on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Boldin looks old and slow as 2010 progressed with the Ravens. I do believe that his leadership though was missed. Also the Big Red offense line is below average but living in Chicago I will say that talent wise the Bears line is no better than the Cards so hopefully there can be improvement through coaching.

37. By Andrew on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Buck was referring to be 3 for 3 on playing great games(as a QB) not that he was 3 for 3 in wins.

Rodgers played great against Arizona, great against the Eagles and great against the Falcons

38. By jocards on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Uh….”Anquan didn’t drop that ball if you look closely it hit him in the shoulder”?!?!? To me that is an interesting distinction. That’s a pass that has got to be caught IMO. Tough catch? Perhaps but one that should be caught. I’m not sure how one can say that Flacco is a sorry QB either. He’s been pretty good from my perspective in his brief NFL career.

39. By Voice of Reason on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

I’d lean toward Bulger before McNabb or Young.

On the DC — hire Eric Mangini already. He’s a 3-4 guy with a winning pedigree who has been a head coach before. Butler will be coaching in the super bowl and you can’t wait around for him.

Darren – can I assume that Mangini hasn’t been contacted at all, or has he turned down the Cards’ request to interview?

40. By Voice of Reason on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

The 3-4 works if you have the right coordinator running it. And there have been very few that have been successful. Eric Mangini has and is available.

And the hesitation is…..

41. By Voice of Reason on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

I’d also bring Bryan Robinson back as a d-line coach.

42. By Tony on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

and waiting and waiting and waiting til no one is left

43. By Pheenic Cromartie on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

I hope Coach Whiz has a plan for the DC spot. I’m getting kind of scared that we’ll have no one left to pick up, because a lot of teams have picked up new DC’s in the last couple of weeks.

My Superbowl pick is Bears vs. Steelers. But then again, in this crazy season, anything can happen.

Darren, any news on the CBA?

44. By Eazy E on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

We saw first hand what VY did to us. He drove them 99 yards in like just 2 minutes and converted 3 4th downs. He a beast and dominated that game, unstoppable stuff.

45. By SeeingRed78 on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

I think all of the QB ideas I’ve heard are better than what we had this year. I’m not sure how you can get any worse. I hope it’s a busy off season for the Cardinals and needs are addressed. If not we can expect more of the same next year.

46. By Darren Urban on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

pacards —

RE: DC/Anderson

Am I shocked they haven’t hired a DC yet? No. I don’t know exactly who they are looking at. The report on Manusky was that he was likely headed to San Diego before his interviews started, so that didn’t surprise me. They weren’t going to hire Ryan. They weren’t going to hire Singletary. If they are missing on guys they are trying to get, it’s a concern. But I don’t know. Until the situation is resolved, it’s tough to evaluate it.

As for Anderson, there’s no reason to cut him yet. He doesn’t make any more money until offseason workouts start, and those don’t start unless there is a new CBA. If there is no CBA, you might want to hang on to him for now. If — in the worst case scenario — a work stoppage lasts so long free agency has to be put off for a season or free agency changes, you may want to make sure you have a veteran QB on the roster. You cut him now, you risk having no one.

I still expect Anderson to be released. But there is no rush right now (and I am not sure why people are so panicked about it. It’s January).

47. By Darren Urban on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Jauron

Have not heard his name.

48. By Darren Urban on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Real —

RE: Boldin

Well, as long as you don’t have any biases yourself.

49. By Darren Urban on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Voice —

RE: Mangini

I don’t know for sure, but I wouldn’t necessarily making any assumptions. If he is a candidate, maybe his TV work on ESPN this weekend delayed things.

50. By Darren Urban on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Pheenic —

RE: CBA

Check out profootballtalk.com for the latest CBA stuff. Florio does a pretty good job with an ongoing overview/news.

51. By Richard S. on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

The Eagles DC didn’t stay on the market long after he got canned. Already employed.

52. By Eazy E on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Anquan should have caught it but he tried to put it against his chest. Anquan is still a beast and please stop it, they had a great year and anquan did also the steelers made the plays but they did kinda give it to them with all the turnovers y’all sound so bitter.

53. By Mark in Chandler on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

If the DC ends up coming from GB, Steelers, Jetts, or Ravens then the delay would make sense. (note that 3 of the final 4 are 3-4 teams) Otherwise, it really looks bad on Whiz and the organization. I think what makes me uncomfortable is the dead silence on potential Cardinals DC. No rumors, no speculation… nothing. Either nothing is happening behind the scenes with other candidates or everyone involved is unusually quiet. If nothing is happening behind the scenes then Whiz is taking a huge risk by waiting and may end up destroying credibility with the fans and the players. If it looks like you have no plan or you can’t make a plan work then people start to lose confidence in you. From where I stand I really hope that the Cards end up signing a Keith-Butler type not just because he would be a good addition but because it will be comforting to think Whiz had it under control all along.

54. By Pheenic Cromartie on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Real-

I never knew Joe Flacco was a “sorry” QB. Last I heard, he was supposed to be one of the better ones.

Here are Joe Flacco’s stats:

TD’s: 25
    INT’s: 10
    Yards: 3,662

Since when is that “sorry”? Also, Fitz had more yards and receptions than Anquan Boldin this season, even though he had to play with four different QB’s (Five including Pre-season). So it’s not on Joe Flacco at all.

I’m not saying Anquan Boldin’s a bad WR. In fact, he was one of my favorite players when he was here. But all I’m saying is, you claim that people in here don’t know football, when in reality, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Also, this may be a Cardinals site, but it’s also fun to keep track of ex-Cardinals players, and besides, there’s not much to talk about other than the Playoffs.

If you don’t like it, don’t read it.

55. By brad oneill on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

on a completely unrelated side note i would just like to wonder aloud if Michael irvin, mariuchi, and dion sanders are doing drugs while they host their show on the nfl network. Not to slander them or anything i was just wondering if anyone else picked up on the odd behavior and mannerisms this past weekend.

As for jim mora looking for a home as az dc. he did a stint under don coryell. got fired prematurely in atlanta and seattle. was seen smelling amonia capsules during a monday night game (according to wikipedia)

He seems like he should have worked out in both atlanta and seattle but something happened both times that got him dismissed. maybe its not something big enough to worry about, or maybe it is. one things for sure if there is a problem with him we won’t hear about it from coach whiz.

I think whiz must have been raised in a bomb shelter with the mantra loose lips sink ships piped in at all hours of the night. he will thank the fans, talk about poor execution and say he is unhappy with a position only after it is painfully obvious that everyone in the country already knows the position is underperforming.

56. By ed on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Do you know if there is any interest in Tim Lewis as a D/C? I believe he wants a D/C position and at one time was on staff with Steelers. He seemed to have made a difference at Atlanta.

57. By Peter in Canada on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Rogers has played three very good playoff games but Warner’s playoff record was 9-4. He achieved that behind O-lines that were not of the highest calibre. I recently watched the 2000 Super Bowl where he set the SB passing yardage record. He took a terrific beating but managed to throw for over 400 yards. He never saw the game winning pass land in Bruce’s hands. Manning, Brady, and Rogers have played all their careers behind far superior lines. We went from 10-5 with him to 5-11 without him.

58. By Darren Urban on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Ed —

RE: Tim Lewis

Have not heard that name. Yet.

59. By CardiacCards on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

LETS GO CARDINALS! WAKE UP AND HAVE A GOOD OFF SEASON! WE WANT TO WIN!!!

60. By drumm-1 on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

@ Mark in Chandler, How does it look bad on the Whiz and the organization i don’t understand that logic, they don’t have to tell us fans their every move only people that matters is the owners and the players..We rush’d to get a qb after Warner left see where that got us, like i said before why hire someone if they don’t fit what youare looking for..would you marry a girl if you know she’s not what you looking for? it’s a long offseason let’s see what happens..

61. By Chuck 1 on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

I’m going to throw something out there which will probably get trashed.
    But, here goes.
    Why not interview a college DC, who has had an outstanding record for, say, the last five years? Don’t many, if not most, NFL coaches begin their coaching careers as a college coach?
    OK
    Come and get me.

62. By Mark on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

I heard on NFL Network say that the Cards contacted Jim Mora about the Defensive Cordinator position, but I would also llike to give Tom Cable a look.

63. By bluepitt on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

“That’s how the Leinart situation got so tangled at the end” I call BS Darren!!!!
    Leinart was given the job and was told he was the “GUY” by Whiz the whole offseason and on in to the preseason!!!! He was just going over the motions in the preseason just like Warner did! Because he was “OUR GUY” just like warner was!!!!!!!!! 5-11 yup I called on the DOT it at game 2 look it up!!!!!

On the DC!!! hahahha
    The outcome is simple, here is the criteria for Whizes DC:
    A. Must be a EX steeeeeler!
    B. Or an EX CO-Worker for the STEEEELEEEERS!!
    C. Or an EX teammate of WHIZES
    D. Or family member of a Co-Worker(grims sons)
    E. Or someone who will work for free for the Bidwell’s!!!!
    F. As long as one or more of the above is met you are hired!!!
    no need to have a proven track record just meeeeet the above!!!!
    oh and G. spelling skills are not needed!!!! well I got one where is my contract?

64. By Rob on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

I just so happy Billy Davis is gone and pls Whiz stop giving all your friends jobs bring in a real DC that going to help you get the job done. One more thing get your self a OC

65. By Old Man Riva on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

I can always tell a die-hard Big Red fan from the way back days by their talk about the Cards miserable history. It’s funny but sad at the same time because it is so predictable, hence we all think alike. I read Georgiebird’s comments and just yesterday I was thinking about the fact the Cards have NEVER drafted a franchise QB. The closest they came was Neil Lomax and we know how the Cardinal jinx affected him. Charley Johnson and Jim Hart were never expected to be more than backups but when pressed into full time roles did fairly well (thanks to excellent supporting casts). Does anyone really think Blaine Gabbert will be that guy? I saw him play at Mizzou and he is certainly no Sam Bradford. Same holds true for the other top QBs available. As far as defense, Georgiebird also hit the nail on the head when he mentioned the Big Red has NEVER had a dominating defense. They have always been more focused on creating a good offense and it does make for more exciting football; although not necessarily winning football. Look up the record their ex-coach Bob Holloway had. When they hired him he was a defensive guru at Minnesota when they were the Purple People Eaters. He failed miserably (there’s that word again) in St. Louis. Oh and before I forget, Anquan Boldin’s drop was just the Cardinal jinx striking again ala Jackie Smith dropping the pass in the end zone during his brief Cowboy days (can’t remember the Super Bowl number because it doesn’t matter). What does all this rambling mean? What I have predicted previously…at least 6 to 7 more years of frustration for the fans and players and maybe 1 or 2 new coaches before the Big Dead get back to the playoffs. But of course the Bidwill reign will go on and on and on…

66. By TSHIF on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Darren..

Aside from the dc position that we desperately need filled. Is there any other coaching staff changes you could see happening.? Entire offense didn’t play any better the the D did. Any changes coming from the other side of the ball???

67. By Ken on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Have to agree with Brian R on the Warner for QB Coach! Just makes sense.

68. By rebecca paniccia christian on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

I miss Kurt Warner, God gave him some wonderful Talent, and I am praying for another Man of God to step up .

69. By jocards on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Look I like Boldin as much as the next person but making the distinction between him dropping a pass and a pass hitting him on the shoulder seems a bit of a stretch. That’s a ball that should be caught plain and simple. One might as well say that Ray Rice didn’t fumble the ball, it was knocked out of his hand. Come on Q didn’t come up with a pass that he should’ve and normally would’ve caught. That alone did not cost the Ravens the game but it was one play they could’ve made that might have made a difference. And to me anybody that would classify Joe Flacco as a “sorry QB” might in reality be the one that “dont know what the hell yall talking about”….

70. By Darren Urban on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Mark —

RE: Cable

His background is offense/offensive line.

71. By Darren Urban on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

TSHIF —

RE: Staff

Again — and I have written this many times already — I do not expect changes on the offensive staff.

72. By jocards on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

I believe Kurt Warner has said that he is not interested in a coaching position….things can change but I haven’t heard anything about his changing his mind about that.

73. By LB on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Darren is it possible for you talk to the webmaster about a different quote system. It gets hard sometimes to figure out who you’re responding to. Not hard, but more time consuming than needed to scroll up and find the question. Is it possible to implement something that would make the quote appear in your post? Thanks in advance.

74. By Darren Urban on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

LB —

RE: Quotes

I am the only person here as “webmaster.” That was supposed to be the point of the “RE” line. I will consider doing some cutting and pasting, but I’m not going to basically start re-posting someone twice — once on the original post, and again if I respond to it. Sounds awful redundant.

75. By redrage on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

just a thought do you think mike singlatary could make a good DC for us i do.

76. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Darren, why do the Cardinals seek more interest in Mark Bulger over quarterbacks that are actually good? why does arizona always look at these super sh*tty qb’s?

77. By Voice of Reason on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

And as we sit on our hands, others are hiring. Sean McDermott (who coached under Jim Johnson for years in Philadelphia) was just hired as Carolina’s DC. Singletary is going to Minnesota. Manusky goes to SD.

I hear Bill Davis is available, and the way things are going he might be the only DC looking for a job when the Cards get around to interviewing candidate #2.

Sure seem to be throwing all of their eggs into one Butler.

78. By Gary J on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Hi Darren, Have you heard any ramblings about who else the Cards are bringing in to interview for DC? Or do you think the Cards are waiting for Keith Butler and that is the man that they really want?

79. By Darren Urban on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Gary J —

RE: DC names

If I hear something, I put it out there. I have not heard anything further. It’s been very quiet, actually.

80. By LB on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

You don’t need to cut and paste the entire post, that would be redundant. What i meant was adding maybe a button tag that would display the original post, or a link to it. If it’s not possible it’s alright, i appreciate anyway.

81. By Darren Urban on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

LB —

RE: Links/Quotes

I will see if I can figure something out.

82. By MikeG on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren–Hope all is well!–It almost seems Whiz is waiting on one of the final playoff teams to finish–to hire his man. The sooner this is done the better. I certainly hope our guy is a little more aggressive using our cornerbacks. We need to play more man to man coverage and less zone. The NFL will kind of be in a holding pattern until this CBA is rectified. Non-Cardinals question for you. Who do you think should be NFC Coach of the Year???? I heard Joe Buck and Aikman practically giving it to Mike McCarthy of the Packers. I don’t know— I kind of like Raheem Morris of Tampa Bay!!!! Your Thoughts???.

83. By Darren Urban on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

MikeG —

RE: NFC Coach

I don’t think you can go wrong with either. McCarthy has done an amazing job with an injury-ravaged team. But I thought the Buccaneers were going to win two games.

84. By MikeG on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Also Darren—Whiz may hire within–Teryl Austin may be a strong candidate
    for the position. He could go that route I believe. Any Posability????

85. By jocards on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

My vote for coach of the year would go to Morris but my vote counts for well….nothing actually.

86. By georgiebird on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Have you heard Rolle’s comments about Coughlin? It’s so obvious that Rolle is a cancer.. He can’t tackle and he can’t cover but he can talk. He has a big nose for the football and once in a while his gambles pay off which inflates his value tenfold.
    The best things the Cardinals did in 2010 were not signing Rolle and Dansby for the money being asked. Too bad the Cards didn’t spend the saved money wisely. I’m sure the Giants and Dolphins now see they didn’t get what they paid for.

87. By Judy on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Why would any team want Kurt Warner as a QB coach? He had 3 years where he was supposedly helping Matt Leinart,and look where that got Matt.

88. By Darren Urban on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

MikeG —

RE: More DC

I do not believe Austin is a strong candidate as of now. And he said he was not hiring from within.

89. By Darren Urban on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

georgie —

RE: Rolle comments

Yes, I did see them. But that’s Antrel.

90. By Voice of Reason on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

I also read that Jim Mora Jr. was being considered, and then just as quickly that rumor was quashed. Sounds to me like Mora didn’t want to come here. Yes, that is merely an assumption, but what do you think everyone else is thinking? First Manusky uses them to get a better offer from SD, then Mora says “no thanks” to even an interview.

I’m sorry to say this, as I am a long-time fan and season ticket holder, but this silence when everyone else is moving is making us look like we have egg on our face.

News flash: We are the Cardinals. We don’t get to be selective, and we don’t get people at a discount. If a name guy with proven success is willing to take the job, pay him and get the deal done. Otherwise, Teryl Austin will be the DC next year, which will concern exactly none of our opponents.

91. By Voice of Reason on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

BTW, the above said, I agree completely that letting Dansby and Rolle go for the money they received elsewhere was without question the right thing to do. Kerry Rhodes is a better player, and Washington will be at Dansby’s level next year (remember, Dansby wasn’t exactly all-world his first few years either)…

92. By jocards on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Rolle running his yap yet again…Coach needs to let us have fun, blah, blah. How about Rolle needs to cover somebody? Rolle needs to tackle somebody. Rolle needs to earn all that money the NYG gave him.

93. By Chuck 1 on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Re: Butler for DC; Graves and Whiz have two chances to hire him; SLIM AND NONE (and SLIM just left town).
    Why in the world would Butler come here? He’s the “DC in Waiting” for the Steelers when LeBeau retires.
    And, he would be coming to a dysfunctional organization.

94. By Chuck 1 on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Add Butler for DC:
    I don’t believe that the Steelers would allow the Cards to interview him AND there is that pesky contract issue.

95. By David Carstensen on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

It’s painfully obvious Whisenhunt is waiting for his golf buddy (Butler) to finish up with the Steelers before officially offering the job to him. I see this hire as a key move that could backfire in Whiz’s face. I now firmly believe Whisenhunt is not capable of righting this ship, and the mistakes he continues to make will be his undoing.

96. By WNY CARD FAN on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Here’s my 2 cents/feelings currenlty about the Cards….

1) are we going to hire a DC or not? What the heck lets at least interview some people
    2) are we going to pay the price or get what we pay for (crap, like usual)
    3) I see all the OC interviews going on and wonder, REALLY wonder, why the heck we don’t look for some help on our OC. Seahawks fired their guy for being 28th in the NFL (yet they got through 1 round of playoffs, luck or whatever), yet our dismal, poorly performaing offensive, we are okay to stand PAT on current coaching. Doesn’t make sense, like we want to continue to lose.

Its a real sorry state of affairs when your poll of best plays/games by players of the year is your kicker with 5 FG’s and a fake TD run (awesome, but really thats our best this year)……That right there should tell you something

97. By Mark in Chandler on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

About the Mora rumor. I doubt he was considered. He was not a very good defensive coach when he was coaching and would not have been a good fit here unless you were thinking movin towards a 4-3. His stock has oddly increased once he started working for the NFL network. Along with not being that impressive as a coach he is a 4-3 man for the most part. Whiz wants a proven 3-4 man. That point is important to consider with a lot of the names that have floated around but have garnered no apparent interest by the Cardinals. Most of those names have been 4-3 coachs with the exception of Ryan and Munusky. I have as much faith in Austin as I do Mora. Whizenhunt wants the Cards to follow the same defensive pattern as Pitt, Baltimore, Jets, and Greenbay. If that is the type of coach you want then you have to wait until those coaches are available. Of course if none of them come through then you look silly hiring Austin because everyone knows he was not on your top 10 list. All of that said, if we win next year all of this angst we feel now will be forgotten.

98. By jocards on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Regarding the comments from Rolle/Phillips…Coaches need to be who they are. When they are not genuine the players will know it immediately and that’s a quick way to lose your team. Rex Ryan is genuine and so is Tom Coughlin. There is no set formula on what makes a coach successful but I think they do need to be genuine. That is something we Cards fans need to keep in mind. Whisenhunt might not rant and rave and get in his players faces like some folks would like to see but I believe he is genuine. Not everybody acts like Rex Ryan, it works for him becaus ethat is who he is….

99. By Joe Grigas on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Darren,I really think the way to go for QB is to explore a trade for maybe a Kyle Orton or Kevin Kolb if they come available. Neither are worth the 5th pick but the team could come up with a suitable offer(2 this year and conditional pick in ’12) Both are “young veterans” and would save the growing pains of a rookie QB(no thanks after this past season) Bulger as backup would be fine but he cant be the man going into ’11.

100. By Joe Grigas on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

By the way so I stay on topic, Butler is probably the guy Whiz really wants for DC but I wouldnt mind a Mangini type hire.

101. By Neil Alan on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

I can’t believe people are commenting about Boldin and his drops. That was a tight window to try and get that touchdown pass in. Boldin was too low to the ground, he did have a defender over him, and I don’t know if he could have gotten his hands up higher past his pads to get that ball. Anyway, I can’t blame Boldin for the Ravens loss. I did think he should have gotten another chance, but the last play went to Mason who did not convert a catch on that play either.

Warner is so last season! Why would anyone bring up Warner’s game against Rodgers when clearly Rodgers is the person they are talking about NOW. I just hope the Bears win so I don’t have to see another Packers game.

They mention Defensive coordinators… I like Singletary. Unfortunately he went to Minnesota as a Linebackers Coach/Assistant Head Coach. I totally thought he could have been a Defensive Coordinator for Chargers or us (AZ). Ron Rivera is Head Coach of the Carolina Panthers and John Fox went to the Broncos. Bad move on the Broncos part I think.

Anyway, while they mention Defensive Coordinators, I really thought they needed an Offensive Coordinator again. Whisenhunt should not have been calling plays and Derrick Anderson should not have been running plays. While we tried to do a patch up job on Defense after losing Rolle, Dansby and Berry, We need to recruit some better defenders. Porter and Wilson look to be aging and I don’t know if I would hold on to Toller either. On offense Beanie Wells never lived up to his potential and I don’t know if they should draft someone new or try to get someone from free agency. He never did fill the shoes for Edgerrin James. I think if he stays a Cardinal it might be another disappointing year with him, but if he were to get kicked off this team that just might be his motivation to actually be productive and used some where else, but either way I don’t think its good for Arizona. While Ravens may not have utilized Boldin as well as the Cardinals, we sorely missed him to make plays down field and be that other option at WR. He is a damn good blocker for extended running and pass plays. I see the talent on this team starting to evaporate and I don’t know if it is because ownership is starting to hold back giving money to players. Leinart seemed to be more about the money than performance. I really think they had their mind made up about Leinart and limited him in preseason. Although we might have had slightly a better record if we had kept him, only because he knew this offense and every quarterback we used this year had to learn the offense so we were constantly limiting any playbook Whisenhunt had. I think Whisenhunt stuck with DA too long. I would not have had him start after the first Sea Hawks game, I would have gone back to Hall or if Hall was injured, not sure, I would have gone to Skelton. Anyway, I’m done with rant.

102. By georgiebird on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

The Seahawks whipped us twice- now they have fired their OC. This shows you how far behind we are. At a minimum, we should hire Jeremy Bates. What a sad state of affairs the Cardinals are in.

103. By Voice of Reason on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Every couple of hours I return to this site to get the latest in fan sentiment (which should give the team a good base from which to gauge public perception), and the perception is clear and unequovacal:

The Cards are, at best, giving the appearance of dropping the ball here. When they hired Whiz, they made him an offer he couldn’t refuse while Pittsburgh was still considering. THAT is proactive.

Now, the team is giving off the perception that it is 1998 all over again, which it just CANNOT continue to do. Phoenix is a fickle fan base, and regressing means 30,000 people at games cheering for the other team. No jersey sales. Coaches leave, or worse yet, refuse to come and trash the organization to others (see: Norv Turner, who has done just that).

The old addage — better to regret something you’ve done than to regret something you haven’t done. Bring in Mangini for an interview. Tell him he’ll get the reigns to the defense, citing the track record that coaches who have been successful here have received head coaching gigs (see: Todd Haley, or going back further, Jim Fassell). The defense is LOADED with talented players. If Mangini fails, at least the organization can show its fans, and indeed anyone, that it gave it a shot.

Waiting out the playoffs for one guy that 1) has never been a DC before, 2) cannot come here contractually and 3) has spurned us twice previously(because Dick Lebeau is 75 years old and won’t coach forever) will backfire. And Mangini will have a job by then.

Incidentally, this is decidedly different than panic signing of Derek Anderson last offseason when everyone knew Bulger was going to be released. We HAD Leinart at the time and believed he’d be the starter. We could have picked up a street free agent far later as a vet backup.

Good DCs, with a demonatrable track record of success, are not as easy to get as street veteran quarterbacks in June.

Again, a good general manager would recognize the difference.

104. By latch on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Whats with all the boldin,rolle,dansby crap?

Rhodes is our safety….. All the posters with man/crush on boldin should become raven fans and or where ever else he goes if ravens let him go.

105. By K-DUB on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Why are the cards letting all of these cordinators slip away? Rams just got Josh McD. Are the Cards even trying this offseason?

106. By cardfan6 on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

please dont tell me whiz in waiting on another steeler coach just because he knows him. in th mean time we loose good canidates

107. By drumm-1 on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

How can people say they like the cardinals team, but pretty much every comment on this site is negative toward them.. it’s always they need to do this, they need to do that, but they wont because they suck,and they don’t want to win, some of these fans have no clue…

108. By Todd on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Darren I concur with your observation on Warner’s great playoff performance against Green Bay.

I have a bold comment to make. Not only does Warner deserve the HOF, I think his accomplishments may be better than just about any QB that there ever was. Before you all freak out, consider this; Montana, Aikman, Big Ben, Manning, Terry Bradshaw, Bart Starr, Ken Stabler, Elway, Roger Staubach Steve Young all had one thing in common in getting to and winning a Super Bowl……pro bowl and/or hall of fame offensive linemen and defenses. Look at all those players teams top to bottom. Much talent across the board.

Warner got to THREE Superbowls which is more than most listed and won one. Now here is the kicker….he did it with mediocre offensive lines and mediocre defenses with both the Rams and Cardinals. In essence, he outscored his teams way to Superbowls. What he had was pro bowl receivers and the ability to call plays and audibles and that’s all he needed.

Cards fans are upset at our defense this year but let’s face it, it wasn’t good last year or the Super Bowl year either. It was masked by Warner and the high octane passing offense.

Kurt Warner deserves a special place in the HOF as the only QB to win and go all the way without much help. A monumental accomplishment. Now you can see why the Cards are so weak without him now.

109. By Scott H on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Voice of Reason –

While I share your general frustration about many things, I am NOT going overboard with some of these guys that the Cards are NOT hiring for the DC spot to this point. First, honestly, WHAT did McDermott do during his brief two year stint as DC with the Eagles that has you excited about him??? Get back to me with that, ’cause I really want to hear this. Manusky…OK…he seemed like a good candidate but time will tell. And Singletary? Did ya know that Mike Singletary has never been a DC in the NFL to this point? He was a LB coach before becoming the head coach in San Fran. So…where is the proven track record that makes him a guy we should be hiring right now, if not sooner??? Again, time may tell on him, but right now? I can’t say I fault the Cards for not grabbing one of these guys.

IMHO, the guy who was truly worth going after was Wade Phillips. And I WILL fault them for not being more on top of that one. Phillips was fired during the season, so it ain’t like we didn’t know he was gonna be available. He is a GREAT defensive mind WITH a proven track record. And if they were pretty sure they were gonna fire Davis, then where were they?

With Phillips off the board, I just want to see them get this right. And I don’t even know who the “right” guy is right now. Mangini seems like a guy they should at least be talking to…since they have not talked to anyone since Manusky ( that we know of ), I will join you in your frustration over not seeing them being more active in the interview department as well. But, again, I think Phillips is the ONLY guy off the board right now that is worth getting perturbed over.

110. By brad oneill on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

todd-
    i wouldn’t say kurt did it without help but there is a lot of merit in examining the record of the teams he took to the superbowl just before he got there and just after he left. (in the case of the cardinals you can go back 60 years) not to mention his unbelievable performance in all the super bowls he played in.

111. By TucsonTim on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Scott –

Phillips is a terrible golfer…never was a consideration.

112. By Darrel on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

I don’t think warner really cared for matt anyway they never seemd that close to me warner was more worried about getting. This team to a superbowl then sit around a babysit a lil boy when he has enough of his own…..

113. By Scott H on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Todd –

To add to everything you said about Warner – and I agree with every word – I also find it utterly amazing that this man has been to three Super Bowls and he owns the TOP THREE passing performances in SB history. THAT, to me, is an accomplishment that stands up against any accomplishments that any other QB can claim. It will be so satisfying to see Kurt enshrined in the HOF someday…and to know that it was probably his late-career years with the Cardinals that made it happen. Jim Hart was the QB of this team when I first became a fan. And I can honestly say that the best years I’ve had since that day back in the mid-1970’s were the last three years of Warner’s time here. Sadly, it just doesn’t feel like we’re gonna be there again any time soon…

114. By scott023 on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Davis needed to go. However, (just wait and see) when we lost the superbowl, the fall guy was the D.C., now we have not even looked at an O.C. and darren said he see’s no changes in the offense. I guess from coach Whiz to Graves To M.Bidwell, we get and deserve nothing on offense. like we did just fine on offense. Please, we were at the near bottom of all the nfl on offense. Everyone can not be this stupid to say this is fine. Here we go with another year of the same. Without Warner it would of been no trips the the bowl or any playoffs. It was never coach Whiz,never. Why is it that we do not deserve an O.C. ? At the end of next year we will be at the bottom of our div. again. There will be another fall guy, Grimm?? Watch and see!! I guess Mr. Bidwell don’t care about the fans. I aways liked him. However,it’s his job to see that we get the best. When you take the table scraps and not the meal,you get ripped off and we are getting ripped off. Darren, I know you are not in any position to tell us the truth. It’s not your call here, and I am not blaming you. However don’t you think we deserve an O.C. another mind to help. Look back,run,run, pass. Almost everytime, not even fair. I read where Warner changed the plays at the line, he’s gone, he’s been gone. We went right back to the bottom.

115. By scott023 on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

I think the reason we have waited and waited to get a D.C., you get the table scraps. It’s a lot cheaper, and hey, you never know you may get lucky. It also keeps the presure off him and why he failed, always someone else’s falt, never the head coaches,never. The buck never stops with him. Not even going to try to fix it, because he refuses to see the truth, and hey, what we gonna do about it! History is not a lair, it’s all there. Just go back and look,I did. If you are a cardinal fan you deserve answers, right. We need and deserve an O.C. period. We are told there will be no changes on O.C., like we did okay?

116. By Canadian Red Bird on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Darren

Re: Defensive Coordinator

As mentioned by numerous bird fans, we need to pursue an offensive coordinator as well. Josh McDaniels would have been a great fit !!!!! now he’s off to St. Louis. Seriously Whiz, take the blinders off, the time is now to let go of the reins as it relates to offensive coordinator and offensive line coach. Of the teams remaining or better yet before this past weekend’s playoff games, how many of the teams had their head coach calling the plays? The coaching moves that other team’s make with relative ease tends to be an arduous chore here in Arizona. Professional Football is a results driven business; when the results aren’t there , its time to make a change; maintaining friendships shouldn’t be the priority as appears to be the case. The insanity is when you take the same action and you expect different results.

Fasten your seat belts, we could be in for a rough ride for the next couple years

117. By Chuck 1 on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

I love conspiracy theories.
    Try this one on for size.
    Maybe the reason that there is no news regarding the DC selection is because there are “secret” (behind the scenes) discussions being held between the Cards and Steelers to “acquire’ Butler e.g. maybe the Steelers want the Cards’ first round pick to let Butler go.
    Nahhhhh. That’s impossible.

118. By joe67 on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

VERY good points Scott. I’m with you on this. Right down the line.

119. By Cert 33 on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Winning formula for 2011: Jon Gruden- HC, Rocky Long or Wade Philips- DC, Kurt Warner- OC. QB: Bruce Gradkowski and John Skelton. Spend all the draft picks on defense. No more talk about bringing in proven losers like Bulger, McNabb, Young, Russell, etc… Didn’t Kurt and Fitz set the example on the importance of character? Our defensive collapses in the 4th quarter of games are becoming legendary. Yes, that includes the Super Bowl and the Green Bay game last year.

120. By phxsuns480 on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Attention all Cardinals FANS. Don’t Be FICKLE. Think positive. Show some SUPPORT.

121. By jocards on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

I understand all the frustration, the team was bad on both sides of the ball last season. However the offense was very good in 2009 with Whisenhunt calling the plays and acting as OC, it was terrible last season. Same guy calling the plays, different QB. To me the offensive futility has a lot more to do with losing a HOF QB nad replacing him with DA/Hall/Skelton then it does with Whisenhunt being a terrible play caller. To me it’s fair to question his decisions on how best to replace Warner but it isn’t valid to claim he suddenly doesn’t know how coach the offensive side of the ball.

122. By Michael on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Everybody in the Nfc West has made alot of key adittions to their coaching staff and Whis is just a sitting duck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

123. By Voice of Reason on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Drumm-1: Blind followers of a team wearing rose colored glasses wihtout an ability to critically consider ways it can and should improve is what makes bad teams continue to stay bad.

Scott H: Don’t get me wrong — there is no over-excitement about McDermott, Manusky, or Singletary. But they are candidates that proactive teams would have interviewed. My comments on each:

McDermoott actually coached up a good defense in 2009 that caught the injury bug in 2010, and he worked under Jim Johnson for 8 years prior to that. The long and short is that he’s young and has a good defensive coaching pedigree. Not the ideal candidate in my mind, but certainly worth flying here for an interview.

Manusky had a lot of great players in San Francisco, and I actually think he underachieved a bit. Not sure why he was in such high demand — if you read the SF media they’re happy to see him go. But at least we interviewed the guy.

Singletary, you are right, has never been a coordinator. But he knows NFC West personnel well. The negs: clearly over his head as a head coach. Also, history tells us that elite players rarely make good coaches. He may fit that bill. But worthy of an interview? Why not?

You and I agree completely on Wade Phillips. Proven track record of success as a DC. Head coaching experience. 3-4 guy. And the Cards dropped the ball on him. While we were putzing around doing exit interviews with guys the world knew would be fired (Billy Davis), Houston comes in and gets the guy. Classic case of not being proactive.

So who’s the best that is left? Only one guy raises any excitement with me: Mangini. He has two more years on his Cleveland contract, so money shouldn’t be a big issue. Control will be, and I’d give him the keys to the defense (especially given that we have no offensive coordinator, and won’t in 2011 either)…

124. By Voice of Reason on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

And to phxsuns480 — can you see how busy these message boards are? Everyone here is a fan, otherwise they wouldn’t be here. They care about this team. I know I do.

I also remember the dark days and don’t want to go back there. I don’t think the team wants to go back there either.

This business, during the offseason, is in large part based on perception. Perception gets you free agent interest, coaching staff interest, and fan interest (which sells jerseys, tickets, and advertising for TV broadcasts). So as a professional sports franchise, your goal is to foster as good a perception as you have the ability to control. Because it gets you better players. Better coaches. Higher demand for tickets. Jersey sales. Advertising sales.

Being proactive tells people you want to win. Sitting on your hands — or even giving off the rational perception that this is what you’re doing — might be the worst thing you can do.

Being proactive means you’ve already had discussions with and/or signed “guts of the team” free agents like Alan Branch, Steve Breaston, and Deuce Lutui.

Being proactive means you bring in another quarterback in Week 2 if you think it will help.

Being proactive means you’re actively interviewing as many DC candidates as you can, and making sure the public knows you’re doing it.

Being proactive means you keep Larry Fitzgerald in the fold, and don’t wait until the offseason to begin those conversations.

Rod Graves, based on his actions and inactions, is not proactive. And it’s killing the perception of MY Arizona Cardinals as a result.

125. By Voice of Reason on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

And incidentally, I’d be happy to take Michael Bidwill out to lunch and talk about these very issues with him (although I guarantee he’s already thinking along these lines).

126. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Darren what is the average pay for a good DC? Is money going to be a factor on deciding who the Cardinals want this next season?And Cert, Mcnabb is most def not a proven loser, how many NFC Championship games has he been to? Also, you say that yet you would like to see Gradkowski come and play? I havent seen ANYTHING out of him, why is he not a loser?

127. By Blair on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

They should promote money mike adams to DC! And then let whiz play QB and this team will be back to its winning ways

128. By Larry White on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Darren

Alls quit on the western front. What gives.
    Me thinks that coach Butler deal is the only deal we will get, or promote from within. Whats your take?

129. By ChrisZ on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Bottom line is Whiz will wait and let the best guys get hired so that he can pick up whatever the Steelers want to throw away. If the Steelers dont or didnt do it, than neither will Whiz. Look how a good team like the Pats will arrange their style of play to fit the players and by doing that they have success. Whiz is too narrow minded and set in his ways to ever be successful. Dont even get me started on his ego. So we sit here and watch as the other teams in our div make moves to better their teams, and all we can do is cringe thinking about the next disgusting season we have to bare.

130. By redseafan85 on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

real- first of all you shouldnt feel so free to insult other bloggers on this site unless youre able spell correctly and use real words. Also to say you know football better is ridiculous considering your opinion on qbs like joe flacco whom has made the playoffs multiple times in his short career. Slow your role and get your facts straight before you insult your fellow fan

131. By Darren Urban on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

RodgersCro —

RE: DC pay

It just depends. Assistants can make into seven figures; that’s where Grimm is and where Haley was.

I do not think money will be a determining factor in DC. I think it’ll be about who Whisenhunt wants and who wants to come here.

132. By Darren Urban on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Larry —

RE: DC situation

Wish I had something profound to offer. I do not.

All I can say is that Whisenhunt said there will not be a promotion from within.

133. By drumm-1 on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

@phxsuns480, I agree.. but they can’t be positive they want to be the first to say i told you so..The fans see other teams making moves so they think we should also, i say if it doesn’t benefit us why make a move,it’s like the fans say he have a piece of candy why can’t i have one…

134. By allan on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

This is so disappointing but yet so typical. Top DC’s getting hired and yet no moves on our side.

135. By Cert 33 on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

The current version of McNabb is basically being cut by one of the worst teams in football. Same goes for Young and Russell, who have already been “fired” by teams that were not very good. Gradkowski is a decent journeyman QB who is a proven leader and help take the Raiders from 7 yrs. of 5 win seasons to 8-8. His 4th qtr. comeback against us was typical when he was healthy. I think he would be a good mentor for John Skelton, who should be the starter and yes, I think he is better than the current version of McNabb.

136. By scott023 on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Mr. Drumm-1, other teams are making moves because sitting and letting everyone get taken leaves the spoils. If you are happy with the end of this season, your going to be just as happy next year. The reason I say that everyone in our div. is getting better ,but us. If the last season was okay for you, then you will be just fine for next year. We need both sides of the ball to greatly improve or buy a brown paper bag when you go to a game. Our entire coaching staff needs new blood. Our head coach,rod Graves and Mr M. Bidwell all know this. This is bussiness, friendship is at home . Mr. M. Bidwell needs to fire both Mr. Graves and coach Whiz. Thats his job to make the best moves for the team. Too late this year everybody is taken. Unless we sell our souls with draft picks to get a good D.C. and then we still have no O.C.. Sorry to say next year will be a total waste. However, the fans will be onto coach whiz and his blame game. I guess Arizona Cardinal fans don’t deserve to have the coaching talent we need to win. That is what is happening. Smoke and mirrors, and back to a very bad season. The Joke of the NFL.When the stands are half empty and the fans that are there have brown paper bags on there head, just maybe then Mr. Mike Bidwell will see his family run teams value drop to one of the NFL lowest. Then maybe he will do his job, and send out the right pink slips.

137. By Eazy E on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

I’m glad it isn’t a promotion from within and get a very passionate guy that will stay on your butt if the same mistake is repeated over and over and over again.

2. Jan 18, 2011: Top Posts — WordPress.com