As the NFC West turns

Posted by Darren Urban on January 19, 2011 – 12:31 pm

It was an interesting day in the NFC West yesterday. The Rams got Josh McDaniels as an offensive coordinator, and the Seahawks gave Tom Cable their offensive line coaching job, among other moves. Jim Harbaugh continues to put together his staff in San Francisco (former Cardinals QB coach Geep Chryst landed with the Niners today).

The Cards, however, remain in a holding pattern (in terms of hiring; all the coaches are here working). At this point, I still have not heard anything further on the Cards’ DC opening. As I mentioned the other day, the Steelers’ playoff run likely impacts this situation. And unlike head coaching situations, you can afford to wait for your man — assuming you can get your man, and there has been quite a bit of debate about that when it comes to Steelers’ assistants. (Again, I don’t know that is exactly what is happening here; right now, I’m speculating like the rest of you).

I wish I had something profound to say. I don’t.

Tags:

69 Responses to “As the NFC West turns”

1. By brad oneill on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

vic fangio is still out there waiting for us to grab him. I am still not panicking as the best candidates are still in the playoffs. and even if we don’t get butler or fangio Brian billick may be willing to take a dc job seeing as no head coaching jobs fell his way. the guy really wants to coach again. you can see it in everything he does on the nfl network. if he can straighten out or defense (which should be easier than most) his resume should launch him right back into a head coaching spot in a year or two.

2. By R Robles on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Shoot man Im gonna have to apply for the DC job where’s the apps at? haha cmon now

3. By Tod on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

The 49ers just got better, the Rams just got better.

And the worst team in the Division hasn’t done a thing.

I certainly hope that their Master Plan works … because, otherwise, Whiz has been sucked to the black hole of, “The Same Old Cardinals”.

4. By scottcookhomes on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Whiz had better land Butler or Cardinals faithful will be up in arms about it. I heard on the radio about “compensating” the Steelers for letting Butler out of his contract by giving up a draft pick. I sure hope not unless its just a 7th, even then it seems crazy to me. Its hard to see the division really taking big steps forward and us doing nothing.

5. By John on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Even teams with much better offenses are hiring offensive coordinators. Whats going on here with the Cards? Ive already said this 50 times but this coach is making a major mistake not going with an OC.

6. By Tod on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

@John

Agreed, Whiz needs to release the offensive reigns to an actual OC.

@DUrban

I’m old so either I remember an old NFL policy, or I’m just senile (or possibly both).

Didn’t it use to be that you could go after a coach on another team if you were offering a promotion?

I understand not letting a coach move from one team to another just to be a coach. But, going from a coach to a DC/OC or a HC should be allowed.

7. By Phoenixraven1 on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

The waiting is hard!

8. By TBru on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Obvious they are going after someone who is still playing, most likely Pittsburgh but no guarantee either. I am a Wiz supporter, but their is life in the NFL outside of Pittsburgh.

I am all in favor of picking someone from a winning organization and not grabbing someone off the scrap heap who just got fired from a losing team.

9. By jocards on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

The offense was fine in 2009 with Whisenhunt calling the plays and acting as OC, last season it was very bad. The biggest difference is that a HOF QB was replaced with DA, Max Hall & John Skelton. It just doesn’t make a lot of sense to think that Whisenhunt lost his ability as an offensive coach between 2009 & 2010. It makes far more sense to think that the offense looked completely different when it was being run by Anderson for instance than it did when Warner was under center.

I’d also like to point out that the 49ers and Rams did not “just get better”….they brought in some new coaches. We’ll all find out next season by watching what happens on the field which teams got better.

10. By Darren Urban on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Tod –

RE: Coaching promotions

To be honest, I don’t remember how it used to be. It did seem like it was a lot easier for coaches to move up the food chain once upon a time.

But maybe that’s why they cracked down. I remember several stories in the mid-2000s as teams starting telling others “No.” I remember Denny wouldn’t let LB coach Frank Bush go to Houston to be a co-DC (Bush later got that job anyway). Obviously, you can’t stop a guy from being HC. But unless a staff is fired, it seems very rare anymore for teams to allow their assistants to go elsewhere. Which I understand — you want continuity in your staff and if you like the job the guy is doing, you don’t want him to just bolt. On the other hand, you have a point too.

11. By Rick on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

@Tod – How did the 49ers get better? They have no QB, a brand new coaching staff with a HC that has no NFL coaching experience and only 2 years of winning records at the Division 1 level. How did the Rams get better? They hired a new OC who will be implementing a completely new offense. All this with a lockout looming which will lead to limited amount of time to work with their new teams. I actually believe that continuity is going to be key for any team as the lockout season comes upon us.

Darren – Thoughts??

12. By Darren Urban on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Rick –

RE: Getting “better” with coaches

Obviously, we won’t know. I tend to agree with jocards and yourself, which is this: The players ultimately decide how a team performs. That’s what happened to Bill Belichick in Cleveland, for instance — he didn’t have the players. He couldn’t have been that bad of a coach. Cable in Seattle helps the O-line — but only if they rebuild the O-line. McDaniels could be very helpful for Bradford, but unless they improve his receivers, their potential has a ceiling.

13. By K-DUB on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Mora left Denver without a deal does that meaning he’s considering AZ? I heard that Mora was interviewed here also?

14. By Darren Urban on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

K-Dub –

RE: Mora

I heard Mora’s name floated in connection with the Cards and I read where he didn’t sign with Denver. But as far as I know, he hasn’t interviewed here. And believe it or not, I’ve been paying attention.

15. By Pheenic Cromartie on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

I’m really hoping that there’s something going on between Coach Whiz and Keith Butler that we don’t know of. Hopefully, Keith Butler has sort of dropped a “I want to be your DC” when talking to the FO. If so, then I can understand why they haven’t done anything.

If that’s not the case, then the Coaching Staff just wasted an Off-season full of fantastic coaching candidates.

Everyone, cheer for the Jets, because I’m still angry over those terrible calls by the Ref’s late in the 4th Quarter two years ago, and because we need Keith Butler sooner!

16. By MikeG on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren–We are just in a holding pattern with the DC and the CBA. Non-Cards
    news–did you see the Super Bowl in Dallas this year–they are charging $200.00
    to fans to watch the game on the grass outside the stadium–they would be watching the game on the big scoreboard. Is that nuts or what!!–Is this Jerry Jones or the NFL doing this????? Totally a greedy move!! I can’t believe fans would pay that!!! Thoughts????

17. By Big Red on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

I really think Cards will get Steelers DC, it’s all in the family. I like the idea. As we all know the Bidwells and the Rooneys get alone just fine.

18. By Andrew on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Whisenhunt’s main problem was that he coached like he still had Warner under center. He never adjusted.

19. By Darren Urban on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

MikeG –

RE: Super Bowl outside stadium

The market bears what it will. If people will pay, other people will find a way to sell.

20. By Scott H on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

In regard to people saying that the Rams and / or 49ers just got better, I say this – THEY ALREADY WERE BETTER as evidenced by the records this past season. Shoot, the 49ers trounced all over us twice. But I think people are over-reacting based simply on the fact that they see these teams doing things / signing people and the Cards have yet to make any moves. I say never mind what the other teams are doing. They have their flaws, too. Heck, the Seahawks won the damn division with a losing record…so, it ain’t like we have to climb mountains to compete with these teams. We fell off the map this season because of how bad WE were without a decent QB and horrible defense. It ain’t like we were just as good as we’ve been and the rest of the division just blew right by us, ya know? The Cardinals have to worry about themselves, period, to get this thing fixed. And with the exception of Wade Phillips, I haven’t seen ANYONE hire anyone that I believe definitely makes them better.

What I hope the Cardinals realize is that after last off-season and the MANY personnel comings, goings, and poor decisions that were made, they better have a plan in place and they better make it happen. Because the fans are pissed. Our expectations have been raised and we shouldn’t have to accept going back to being a non-factor again just because we had a few good seasons. THAT is what “changing the culture” truly means. This organization has preached that to us. And the fans have done their part by filling that stadium every week since it opened. Well, we’re ready to keep our end of the bargain. It’s on the organization and the coaches to keep theirs.’

BTW, don’t know about anyone else, but Jim Mora Jr does nothing for me. Mangini or Jauron are the most appealing to me at the moment outside of anyone with the teams still playing.

21. By georgiebird on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Things are so quiet with the Cardinals, it’s almost as if some top secret meetings are going on between the Bidwills, Whiz and Graves. Things like the future of the current management team or Whiz’ buyout could be on the table.
    Even the no action on Donnie Henderson’s auto accident seems strange. Henderson did not have a good year jump starting the DBs.
    On Butler for DC: I realize going in too soon would amount to tampering; however some clarification on whether he is contractually bound to the Steelers- after the season- is in order.
    In summary, the Cardinals strange behavior in the off season (so far) has conjured up some strange conclusions on the part of this Cardinal fan.

22. By latch on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

With all the overpaid,under achieving players running their mouths(boldin,antrel,etc,etc) you think the inmates are running the asylum; then lo and behold, someone is willing to pay to stand outside a stadium.

Kinda explains it all……………

23. By phxsuns480 on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Same OLD CARDINALS, being CHEAP! If they dont wake up this offseason they wont sell out all their games any more and their new tv ratings will fall greatly. HIRE a OC! DC! Quit siiting on your Hands doing nothing. it makes me sick. Every other team has made significant moves but yet we are doing nothing?

24. By Cardiaccard420 on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

LETS GO CARDINALS!

25. By John on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

jocards..

I completely disagree with Whiz ever doing fine as an OC. I think you have it backwards, Warner was able to compensate for the bad play calling. I don’t know what games you watched this year, but all those ridiculous 3rd down calls weren’t good for any QB. And i don’t see a Warner any time soon.

26. By John on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

I don’t think the Cards are doing any secret meetings or any special big master plan they are working on. I think the DC is going to be another late decision based on whats left and that’s it for changes. Whiz seems to be extremely stubborn and still insisting the coaching did their job but players didn’t execute and he’s going to stick with that for more terrible seasons until he’s fired. The management of this time ie beyond aggravating.

27. By Mojo on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Could you please ask coach Whiz to hold a press conference to update the fans?

28. By jocards on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

John –

You are certainly entitled to your opinion and I do understand where you’re coming from but I think it would’ve been difficult for anybody to call plays when the QB play was so bad…I watched every game and it was painful. I guess your statement goes back to the age old argument of whether good players make a good coach or good coaches make good players. The offense actually was statistically better with Whisenhunt calling the plays in ’09 than it was in ’08….no doubt that Warner had a lot to do with the offensive success but I don’t think he was good in spite of Whisenhunt. I believe no coach succeeds without good players and without solid QB play an offense is going to look bad no matter who is calling the plays. Our offense looked very, very bad. When you get bad QB play in what is a QB driven league success is going to be difficult to find.

29. By brad oneill on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

John your right on- Whiz was a bad play caller this year. He has been fine in the past but this year he made low percentage calls repeatedly. third and short passes with qbs that complete around 50% of their throws are not a good idea. if you have a good qb you can get away with it, if you have an average qb it will work 70% of the time but if you have qbs that have shown time and time again that they can’t complete short passes you need to drop that play until they show otherwise.

i wonder if we might be able to snag brian billick for a dc. he really wants a head coaching gig but as far as i know he didnt make any real progress towards that goal this year. perhaps if he spent a year turning around our defense his stock would go up quite a bit?

think about it from his perspective, we have a good defense that underperformed, if there is one situation in the nfl where he can show marked improvement its our defense even keeping the personal we have we should be able to improve significantly. Throw in the number 5 pick in the draft and we just might be a force to reckon with.

30. By Brian R. on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Talk Kurt Warner into the QB coaching job! That might help us a little bit. We need to get rid of Anderson, keep last years rookies. Get someone thats proven to be good, maybe Kyle Orton.

31. By Alberto Sordi on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Whiz should at least talk to some potential offensive cord such as Bates . Bates worked wonders with Cutler. Status quo will not cut it .

32. By Darren Urban on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Brad –

RE: Billick

He is an offensive coach.

33. By John on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

jocards –

Assuming the QB situation is the same as it was at the end of this year, which looks most likely, I’d rather give an OC a try who can concentrate on just the offense and be creative and adapt to the players he has to work with. Are you suggesting just keep everything on the “very, very bad offense” the same?

34. By D on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

My D Cord guess, either Ray Horton or Darren Perry. (assuming Butler is off limits and so is Winston Moss since he is an asst. head coach)

35. By jocards on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

John –

I most certainly am not suggesting that nothing change on the offensive side of the ball. No, not at all. But I disagree that the QB situation will be the same. I’d be absolutely shocked if the season started and the Cardinals had the same QB’s on their roster. I fully expect a veteran F/A to be signed providing a new CBA is hammered out…Understand that I am not saying Whisenhunt’s play calling couldn’t have been any better. I believe the coaches and players all could’ve done a better job. It’s just I’ve seen the offense be successful with Whisenhunt calling the plays. Would the offense be better with a full time OC? Perhaps. Would it be better with better QB play? Absolutely no doubt!

36. By drumm-1 on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

To all the complaining cards fans, coach Whiz does not, i repeat does not have to tell you guys anything he’s doing with the teams staff or roster, maybe the team should move to L.A. so you guys wouldn’t have to worrie about whats going on with them…Just because other teams are making moves doesn’t mean we have too, when the time is right things will happen…

37. By cardsalltheway on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

jocards,
    Yes, we had new and different QB’s but the play calling by Ken W. didn’t( it’s called a hand off ). Why blame the QB’s, Ken W. chose the galoomping DA and decided all by his lonesome or is responsible for playing the undrafted rookie Max Hall before our 5th round draft choice John Skelton. Ken W. made countless horrible player personel decisions which carried over into his weekly play calling each Sunday. Ken W. has jinxed “OUR(next)GUY.” I pity the poor soul, whoever that might be. Really though, what OC/coach would want to work under Ken W. this coming year? Unfortunately, as long as Ken W. thinks he can nurture another QB(he burnt through 5 this season), we are in dire straights. If Ken W. really cares about the Cardinal fans, I suggest he hand-in his resignation — the sooner the better.

38. By Mike Ellingboe on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

@everyone who questions the Whiz as an OC,

Ask any QB who has ever played the game, at any level, what play calling aggravates them the most and the answer you’ll most often hear is predictable run plays that lead into third and long. There isn’t a QB out there who doesn’t love being able to throw on third and short, it puts everything in their favor. If they can’t keep the chains moving in those scenarios no playcalling can cover that up.

To whomever said it, how did Warner compensate for his play calling? Unless he was continually calling audibles (which I can’t recall seeing) he was running what was called. For everyone who misses Haley you might recall that it was the Whiz who groomed him to be our OC. Another history lesson, he was the OC for Pitt when they won their fifth Super Bowl and out of his first four seasons with arguably the worst franchise in the league prior to his arrival he has only had one losing season. Parcells had roller coaster seasons with every doormat he ever resurrected as well.

His one fatal mistake for this past season was thinking that Leinart was going to Warner’s successor and then realizing way too late that he was incorrect. A wrong call on your QB at this level usually spells disaster but that alone doesn’t undo everything he’s accomplished up to this point.

39. By TucsonTim on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Lock out: players don’t get paid, coaches do. Do you need another reason for the Bidwills not to hire a coach.

40. By azcards24 on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

ANOTHER OFFSEASON WITH NO CARDINALS HEADLINING MOVES KEEP THIS UP BIDWILL KISS YOUR FANS GOOD BYE. I LIVE IN ARIZONA (STUCK FOR LIFE).BUT AS FOR FANS WHO DON’T THEY BETTER BE DIE HARD CAUSE THEY DONT HAVE A REASON TO BE LATELY. DEAD LAST AND THE ONLY ONES IN THE NFC WEST NOT TRYING TO MAKE A CHANGE, LETS GET OFF OUR HIGH HORSE WERE BACK A SQUARE ONE ACT LIKE IT.

AND YES I KNOW I AM YELLING !

41. By Darrel on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Your right and. It explains why he wants bulger so bad ..he needs realize warners gone and there won’t be another warner so let’s adjust to what the other teams are doing beside living the past

42. By mikeso on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

as the entire nfc west is making moves with the season not even over, we are over here not doing nothing at all , reminds of of the off season last year, like i said before if we dont get the coach from pitt. or greenbay, lets pull a surprise on the dc job and get mike singletary. pull a surprise and the division and on the field. even though i didnt like singletary as the head coach for the niners i think he can be a big as a dc for the arizona cardinals. come on bidwells….. BID WELL! lets get back to the super bowl

43. By Canadian Red Bird on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Darren:

I recommend that we be patient before we pass judgment on the Whiz; prudent thinking would certainly suggest that he has his sights set on a person still involved in this year’s playoffs. Can you blame the man. I would rather surround myself with a staff member that is coming off a winning season that will have the Cardinal players buying in to the system along with creating excitement in the Valley. I really hope that he is also approaching an OC with the same mind set.

Remember of how our quarterback situation unfolded this past season when we so hastily signed Anderson fearing another team had him in their plans as well.. It wasn’t until Anderson blew a tire when we concluded we should have waited for Bulger. Hind site is always 50 / 50.

Now if the positions are still vacant two weeks after the Super Bowl, we have a huge problem and one that will draw the ire of the Cardinal faithful. For now sit back , enjoy the playoffs and watch how everything unfolds. Remember, it is just a game.

Send me your thoughts!!!!!

44. By Chris B on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

There was a piece in the Republic (today I think) about what the Cards need to do. The main point was sign Fitz and Breaston and seriously pursue some key free agents (barring any lockout). DeAngelo Williams, Tamba Hali and Zach Miller were a few noteables. I think the Cards do need to spend this year and on proven guys who aren’t over the hill.

45. By TARL SAMPSON on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

First of all, I love the cards, and what coach Whiz has done with the team. I understand why he fired his DC. I also think he is good at calling plays, that being said… He should also hold himself accountable in the offensive lack of production, it was his team, and his personal, his plays that didnt get it done. He needs to hire someone to live and breath offensive calling. He is not being turthful with himself and is cheating the team of a very important member of the team. He is Head Coach, not OC. As a Head Coach, he needs to delegate authority well. Calling the plays himself is not doing that. Thats like a manager at Dennys serving all the tables because he is better than the servers, it just doesnt flow well. I hope he sees the light and goes back to the path of a Regular NFL Team. Dont go on the unbeaten path, stay on the trail.

46. By Chuck 1 on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Here is something that I posted on the “Waiting on a DC” thread:

By Chuck 1 on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply
    “I love conspiracy theories.
    Try this one on for size.
    Maybe the reason that there is no news regarding the DC selection is because there are “secret” (behind the scenes) discussions being held between the Cards and Steelers to “acquire’ Butler e.g. maybe the Steelers want the Cards’ first round pick to let Butler go.
    Nahhhhh. That’s impossible”.

I wrote it with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek because I am under the impression that A TEAM CANNOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, HAVE ANY CONTACT WITH ANOTHER TEAM (OR, IT’S COACHES OR PLAYERS) REGARDING ACQUIRING A COACH OR PLAYERS DURING CERTAIN TIMES OF THE YEAR (like now).

Please clarify whether the Cards and Steelers could be having (secret?) discussions AT THIS TIME regarding Butler.

47. By drewcards on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Darren
    Any word if the Cards have any interest in Singletary or if they have interviewed him? Thanks Darren

48. By NJAzCardsFan on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

For those of you who wanted Singletary…. He signed with the Vikings on Wed.

49. By Barry on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

This “holding pattern” is not a wise choice….just seems very familiar to the cards..desision last year with picking up a quarterback…”wait to the last minute” then nothing is left. Lets say Butler isn’t available then what is our options? Someone outside hopefully cause the forces within are not really ranking us higher than 28-30th on off or def year after year. Its time to shell out some cash and pay for someone who will motivate these players and light a fire under them…i.e. (bucaneers) Please get into the game!!

50. By Jeff Gollin on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

All I know is that other teams are making moves to help themselves, while the Cardinal FO appears to be on some sort of extended leave.

I’ll reiterate what I’ve said in the past. The Cardinal brass had better have a “job description” list of criteria they’re looking for in a DC followed by a list of candidates most likely to fill that bill.

One clue to what those criteria might figure to be can likely be found in the reasons why Billy Davis was let go. (He was released for one or more reasons. Logically, the new guy would address those issues).

Maybe Davis’ problems had to do with lack of creativity, inability to adjust to game-conditions, poor evaluation of talent, inability to get things done thru his assistants, problems with team-chemistry and/or a number of other factors,

I just hope the Cards have a short-list of guys they feel can get the job done and that they pull the trigger on a decision soon. (In football as in business as in life: “He who hesitates is lunch!”)

51. By Mark in Chandler on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Have the Cardinals met the Rooney rule yet?
    Have you heard if the Cardinals are interested in Dean Pees? He should be one the Cardinals would have interest in. He is a successful 3-4 guy.

52. By Darren Urban on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Chuck –

RE: “Secret” talks

No, there are no talks. And you are right, it is against the rules. The Steelers are kind of busy right now anyway.

53. By jocards on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

cardsalltheway -

The issue I was commenting on was Whisenhunt’s ability to call plays, not whether or not he handled the QB situation well. I think he made a poor decision in deciding to release ML so late and to go with DA, etc, etc…My point is that the man did not suddenly become an inept offensive mind between 2009 when the Cards offense was very good and 2010 when the Cards offense was bad. If any team gets extremely poor play from the QB position on a consistent basis there is not an OC in the world that is going to look good. The offense looked very good with Whisenhunt calling the plays and Warner executing the offense, it looked very bad with Whisenhunt calling the plays and Anderson, Hall and Skelton executing the offense….I suppose folks just need to draw their own conclusions about that.

54. By SteveDCO on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

I for one am fine with the Cards waiting to hire a DC until the right canidate is able to be interviewed and hired.

Rushing in to hire someone just means we will be replacing a D cord again in 2 or 3 years. We need a DC/ AHC that Whiz will be able to give complete control of the defense to and allow him to retool the O and focus on developing Skelton.

I agree with Darren’s take on the radio this morning. Cards don’t look QB in the 1st round and instead look at pass rusher. Quinn and OBrien coming off the edge sounds pretty good to me with Davis amd Haggens backing them up.

More games I rewatch of the Cards, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them take a TE early as well either 2nd or 3rd. Drey amd Spach just had way too many drops late in the season.

55. By latch on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

drumm-1 and canadian red bird:

two good post !

seems a lot of theses posters should get themselves another team or they could go stand outside jerruh’s new palace.

In Whiz I Trust

56. By cards62 on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Canadian Red Bird I totally agree with you that it is too early to get excited about not hiring a DC. Like you give me someone with past playoff success or current playoff success to lead my players. The level is raised in the playoffs so the best rise to the top.

Patriots go 14 – 2 on regular season but they have no big time play makers and go out their first game. I love Kurt Warner and all he has done for us, but remember Larry Fitz during our Superbowl run. Unbelievable games with Boldin injured, and the defense getting many turnovers.

We need a few more great coaches and a few more great players especially QB and I feel we can make a run again as soon as next year, but this off season is so important which explains why we Cardinal fans are starving for some news and some moves, but this off season is going to be slow I think because of no CBA. I will continue to be patient with the Cardinals this off season but I will definitely be watching.

Concerning other NFC West moves. Not the Rams fault their OC was hired away to be a HC, but I think they are weaker. I did not think they would win 3 games this past season but Bradford and their line played well and their receiving corps is a list of no names, but they played well.

I do think the 49ers will be better with Jim H. I could be wrong but SIngletary was a mad man and Jim H. works very well with QBs and seems to be a calming influence. No position more important than QB. Lastly his dad is a long time coach and his brother coaches the Ravens so I am sure he had frank discussions with them on how to coach at the NFL level and if they thought he could do well coaching the 49ers.

Darren what is the story with Bill Cowher and John Gruden?
    Do they not want to coach now or does no team want to pay them in these uncertain times?

Thank you Darren and hang in there all Cardinal fans for there is no way 2011 can be as bad as our 2010 season.

57. By Darren Urban on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Mark In Chandler –

RE: “Rooney” rule

The Rooney rule only applies to head coaches, not assistants.

58. By Darren Urban on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Cards62 –

RE: Gruden/Cowher

I don’t know. But I wouldn’t be surprised if both wanted ultimate power in the organization and few if any teams are willing to cede that.

59. By johnnybluenose on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

i’m sitting here trying to think of one good football reason for butler wanting to leave pittsburgh for arizona. i’m drawing a blank. people, help me out here!

60. By jocards on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

To become a DC rather than a LB coach for starters.

61. By latch on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Johnny,

I don’t think anyone on this board knows more about the Rooney’s,Steelers or Tomlin than Whiz and Butler or knows what is going on behind closed doors.

I will not be suprised if the new DC is a name that has not been mentioned by posters or media at this point,nor would Butler due to unknown reasons.

62. By Scott H on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Just like I really didn’t understand all of the hoopla about the 49ers going into last season, I don’t understand it going into next season, either. Yeah, they kicked our butts twice this year, but…never mind that. We already know that THEY don’t know who their QB is and there is no telling if Harbaugh’s act will play at the pro level. The Rams have improved and should be better going forward. The Seahawks will pretty much be the same next year as they were this year. Translation? This is still clearly the weakest division in the league and it is there for the taking. In the end, two lousy wins separated the division winner from the Cardinals in last place. If the Cardinals can’t get right back to the top of a division like that next year…that will be pathetic.

63. By UC on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

jocards – I understand and appreciate your perspective, I just think that Warner covered up and/or corrected a lot of King Whiz’s stupid decisions and poor coaching. For example, even with Warner getting rid of the ball as fast as he did on pass plays, he still often had defensive lineman right on top of him, and I’ve not seen any attempt by King Whiz to improve either the schemes or the personnel on the O-line. Further, the absurd number of pass plays called on third-and-short this year would not have been reasonable even with Warner still playing, let alone for any of his replacements. And yet, those pass plays continued to be called all season long.

I think we’re witnessing the forming of the blueprint for King Whiz’s departure next year. He obviously has his mind set on “his guy” as the next DC. However, even if he gets that person and the defensive execution is dramatically better next year, without changes being made on the offensive side of things, they’ll just be losing games 14-6 instead of 27-6. My bet is King Whiz thinks Bidwill and Graves will let him get away with blaming Grimm for the poor O-line play, blaming Miller for the poor play-calling, and blaming the “QB to be named later” for whatever else. I’m betting they won’t, but it appears that us fans will have to suffer through another mediocre-at-best season before we’ll know for sure.

64. By scott023 on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

UC- you hit the nail on the head, warner was the QB in 2009 and he changed the plays at the line. Being gone in 2010, well run,run, passs over and over makes it easy for any defense. If we had an O.C. and whiz did his job that he was hired for (head coach) there is no doubt in my mind we would be better. Don’t get me wrong whiz is very,very smart. He plays the blame game, always someone elses fault. Go back and look, He just plays Mr. M. Bidwell for a fool and us as well. Even if he gets his man on “D” for us. We will still have the same old offense calling by him. There is no doubt if he spends our draft pick, any pick to get a D.C. it will just show his lack of a real head coach.. We have always taken the scraps, he let the others go,wade would have been great. The rams took the O.C. we needed. Watch…. last again. We need a QB a vet like kobe and that is worth a draft pick. Then get a line coach, sorry but (Grimm was a great player) he stunk last season period.

65. By drumm-1 on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

@UC, dont watch the games and you wont suffer, and we wouldn’t have to hear you complain..I know lets get a new coach every year the team dont win the superbowl,that way we can rebuild every year, thats what you want isn’t it…let the season end and see what changes he makes before you bash him,i bet you wasn’t saying fire him after last year..

66. By WarnerFan#13 on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

I agree Warner would be a great QB Coach and/or OC, but he is apperently not interested in that because, like he said in his retirement speech, he wanted to spend more time with the family and he wouldn’t be able to spend as much time with them as either the QB Coach or OC

67. By David C. on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

Seems to me like ol’ Whiz is too busy on the greens to schedule any DC interviews. Whisenhunt is doing himself no favors by not being active by interviewing potential OC and DC candidates. Darren, is there any interest in Eric Mangini as DC?

68. By Darren Urban on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

David C –

RE: Mangini

I am not sure there is at this time.

69. By Scott H on Jan 22, 2011 | Reply

Chris B -

There is NO FREE AGENCY for the Cardinals or anyone else until or unless the CBA issue is resolved. Until then, there is NO SUCH THING as free agency!!! Same goes for trades involving players. Don’t people get this???

And BTW, current reports have Mangini as a front runner for the DC job in Tennessee.