QB coach Miller finalist for college job

Posted by Darren Urban on January 20, 2011 – 9:23 am

Quarterbacks coach Chris Miller is a finalist to be the head coach for Southern Oregon University. Miller, who replaced Jeff Rutledge after the Super Bowl season of 2008, said he welcomed the challenge to run a program.

“I enjoy what I’m doing with the Cardinals and I’m very lucky and blessed to be working for a good man in (Cardinals head coach) Ken Whisenhunt, but the Southern Oregon job excited me just in the fact that I love a challenge,” Miller told the Ashland Daily Tidings. “Southern Oregon has struggled the last several years and I’d love the challenge and the opportunity to turn the program around, and I believe one of my callings in life is working with young men, helping to mold them into high character individuals.”

The job won’t be offered to anyone until after Feb. 8, when Southern Oregon will hear whether it is being accepted into a new conference. SOU is a Division II NAIA school.

Tags: ,

49 Responses to “QB coach Miller finalist for college job”

1. By K-DUB on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

If Miller gets the job will the cards have interest in Danny White who wants a new coaching gig? Cards will need a QB coach.

2. By Kev on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Any chance we can bring in Kurt to be the next QB coach?
    …unless he feels like playing again.

3. By brad oneill on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

i hope our quarterback play doesnt drop off. ha ah ha h haha ha ha haha h.

4. By cards62 on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

I hope he gets the job for his benefit and the teams. Our horrible offense needs more than just a new QB we need great coaches. Do not know his input in selecting starting QBs but anyone who would start Max Hall over John Skelton this past season I will not miss.

I just hope Russ Grimm would get his long rumored head coaching job or offensive coordinator job so we could also replace him, but I do not think he is even being interviewed for anything.

I will stay positive and continue hoping for offensive coaching changes and player signings and a great draft.

5. By Jim on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

I like Chris Miller but if you have a chance to be a head coach some-where take it. Now that Danny White has left the AZ Rattlers and if Miller leaves I say bring him on as the QB’s coach. Would it be an issue with Danny White and Max Hall being related?

6. By Chuck 1 on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Now, isn’t this development just ducky (pun intended; I know. It’s not the Oregon Ducks, but it is WET Oregon)
    Chris was given SOME duties to call plays by Whiz and now he might be gone and who do we have to call plays??? WHIZ, OUR OC!!!
    Remember one of my earlier posts. There are only three NFL teams that do NOT have one person designated as the OC. The Cards are one of the three.
    Don’t you think that there is some good reason that 90% of the NFL teams believe that there is a need to have an OC?

7. By D on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Do we call Danny White for an interview if Chris gets the job?

8. By neil on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Please if you know explain to me what the hell we are doing? Not doing any hiring, any interviewing, now we have people leaving?!?! Is whiz going to take command of the qb coach position as well? All the big names have been hired!!! What the hell happens of the Guy from Pittsburgh chooses not to be our DC? Did we put all our eggs in one basket?

9. By gilberthomes.com on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

WOW. If Miller leaves we are in a heap of trouble. He was acting in some ways as an OC. Imagine him leaving and all the decent OCs have already been picked up. It is looking like the same old Cardinals again. if its anyones fault I dont know, maybe its karma, maybe its the Cardinals…

10. By SteveDCO on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Let the “Hire Warner!” barage begin

11. By Brian R. on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Talk Kurt Warner into being the QB coach???

12. By Darren Urban on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

K-Dub, Jim —

RE: QB coach/D White

If Miller does leave, Danny White will not be a candidate.

13. By Darren Urban on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Kev —

RE: Kurt as coach

He has said — and I have written — many times Warner has no desire to coach.

14. By Darren Urban on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Chuck —

RE: Playcalling

Chris Miller did not call any plays. Mike Miller did.

15. By neil on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Never mind you just posted something thanks lol

16. By Phoenixraven1 on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

First off thanks for the update, to many fans on here shoot the messenger…which is foolish, to say the least. Unappreciated you are my friend! Lol!

17. By NYCARDSFAN on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Good one Brad! That was pretty funny indeed!

18. By neil on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

I honestly think there is only one person in the playoffs whiz is interested in

19. By Kev on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Well, one can hope Kurt develops such desire.

I thought I heard him helping out Jay Cutler earlier in the season. I’m sure that’s the only reason the Bears are doing well ;)

20. By D on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

I guess Danny shouldn’t be put in that position because of Max Hall…that is smart on Whiz’s part

21. By Mike Ellingboe on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

22. By brad oneill on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

would you folks quit panicking. the offseason isn’t even officially here yet. There are plenty of dcs available.

Last year we jumped on a qb early remember how that worked out. we got da, bulger, mcnabb, etc went right on by because we were set at the position.

deep breaths people if there’s a preseason and we dont have a coordinator by then you can start worrying as of now we are good.

23. By drumm-1 on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

@cards62, quit crying and complaining and support the team..

24. By UC on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Hey drumm-1, not everyone thinks that blind agreement to, and silent acceptance of, every stupid decision made by the coaching staff constitutes “support”, so don’t expect everyone else to continue being the “same old Cardinals fan” that you’d apparently prefer. And BTW, the COACHING STAFF is not the TEAM.

25. By MattAZ on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

@bradoneill

Lol!!!

26. By Scott H on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Not that I don’t understand people thinking it, but it is pretty simple to think that because Kurt Warner was a great QB, he would be a great QC coach. Well, if that were the case…woudln’t every great QB that has played the game in the last 20 years or so be QB coach somewhere? Sure they would. But none of them are and very few have ever been, so…that has to tell you something. Not that I know but it seems to me that that innate sense and feel for the game that all great QB’s have is something that you just can’t teach to someone else. You think Peyton Manning could teach what he does to someone else??? Very un-likely. Warner? Probably the same thing.

And brad oneil – good one, bro! THAT made me laugh.

27. By drumm-1 on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

@UC, I probably was a cards fan before you we’re even born, tell me what stupid decision has whiz really made,is it the qb,if you actually read the F.O wouldn’t let him get the qb he wanted,was the coaching staff stupid the last couple of years? you are not a true cards fan you are bandwagoner, want to make moves just because other teams are doing it..makes know sense..

If i’m not mistaken coaching staff is part of the team..learn a little something about the game before you respond to anything i say, when my comment was to someelse and not you.. I don’t care you have been a fans since 88, i was born and raised in ST.Louis move to az in 85 so i am a real fan, not one the complain about every move they make..

28. By cardsalltheway on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Obviously, there wasn’t much continuity between Ken W. and Chris Miller. Either Chris Miller isn’t a good QB coach or the play calling by Ken W. didn’t give the QB’s much of a chance at success. Whichever, it’ll be a good thing if Chris Miller leaves.

Danny White probably won’t be a candidate b/c his relative Max Hall is on the team and Ken W.’s master plan that involved Max Hall didn’t pan out.

29. By Chuck 1 on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

By Darren Urban on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply
    Chuck –
    RE: Playcalling
    Chris Miller did not call any plays. Mike Miller did.

To Darren,
    OOOPPPPSSS!!!
    Sorry. (Aren’t all Millers alike?) :) LOL
    Chuck
    ——————————————————————————————————–
    By Mike Ellingboe on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

“For everyone who doesn’t know the difference between Mike Miller and Chris Miller, please quit complaining until you figure it out first.”

To: Mike
    My mistake.
    But, I have “figured one thing out”. As I wrote earlier, the Cards are one of three NFL teams that haven’t designated a person DIFFERENT than the Head Coach to be the OC. Why is that and how has that worked out for the Cards???

30. By Pheenic Cromartie on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Darren, do you know if Southern Oregon University is a good football college?

31. By Mike Ellingboe on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

@Chuck 1,

If I’m not mistaken NE is one of the three you’re referring to that didn’t designate one this year either, and Carolina did. How did their respective regular seasons turn out? I’d say Whisenhunt has done pretty well in the past calling plays, wouldn’t you?

Nobody is going to win games with DA (or Leinart) as their starting QB. Until we get that fixed there isn’t an OC available who can work around that, unless they change the rules and let them throw passes in their place.

32. By drumm-1 on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

@Chuck-1, It worked out to a 10-6 season in 09, the ball just didn’t bounce our way this year.. people keep saying same old cardinals, it would be if we keep firing every coach because 1 bad season out of 4,or if they listen to some of the fans..we’ll keep starting over and over, give the man time to repair the problem before you call for his head,the season is not even over yet..Please everyone lets relax just for a minute…

33. By UC on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

“By drumm-1
    …tell me what stupid decision has whiz really made,is it the qb…”

Why yes, the decision to cut the highly-drafted, highly-paid, familiar with the system, years-tenured backup who was learning from a future Hall of Fame quarterback displayed that King Whiz was capable of sinking to a level of personal pettiness, unprofessionalism, and abject stupidity that I previously would have expected him to be above, although I really doubt that’s the decision you were referring to. I don’t care how much you, me, King Whiz, or the entire Cardinals organization might have disliked Leinart’s personality, demoting him immediately before the season started, and then using his displeasure with that demotion as an excuse to cut him, was STAGGERING in it’s shortsightedness and small-mindedness. In retrospect, given the position the team was put in by that little stunt, King Whiz should have been fired right then.

That you’d want to whip out your tenure as a fan to see whose is longer doesn’t surprise me anymore than does your believing in the anonymous and unattributed “story” about King Whiz wanting to sign Bulger last year. Fortunately, there are apparently an increasingly vocal number of Cardinals fans who aren’t so dumb, and who don’t like seeing the potential of this team being wasted. You, and others who think like you, apparently equate fixing obvious problems on the coaching staff with making moves for the sake of making moves, which I can’t disagree with more. To me, that sounds like the logic of “the same old Cardinals fans” that you’ve identified yourself as being.

34. By Darren Urban on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

Pheenic —

RE: Southern Oregon

Before yesterday, I didn’t even know there was a Southern Oregon University.

35. By Mike Ellingboe on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

@UC,

Amazing how you can follow up a sentence about being shortsighted and small minded with one that advocates firing a coach who has produced division titles in Arizona because he cut a bad QB.

How shortsighted is that?

36. By cards62 on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

Drumm1

If you wish to discuss or argue my logic feel free at any time to do this, but do not tell me or anyone how to be a fan.

I take my First Amendment rights very seriously and it will take a much bigger person than you to silence me.

What was our QB ratings last year? How did our offense compare to the rest of the NFL? Our offense and QB rotation was not bad last year it was awful, You say the ball just did not bounce our way last year? We had more return touchdowns than anyone in the NFL. The ball did bounce our way we were just awful offensively and defensively and we need coaching changes. If you can not see this your next home needs to be in Egypt right along the De Nile River.

Have fun responding to me as I will not respond back to you as my time is too valuable and you did not watch this season or you are too old and your eyes too poor to even know great football from good football to poor football to awful football.

37. By Chuck 1 on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

To: Mike
    The three teams that didn’t have a coach that was uniquely identified (on their web site) as “THE OC” were the Cards, Patriots and Chiefs (NOT THE PANTHERS).
    Apparently, since the Patriots and Chiefs made the playoffs without an OC the Cards should have also been in the playoffs?
    I say again, why do 90% of the NFL teams believe that they need an OC???

38. By Oregondude on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

Pretty sure Southern Oregon is Div III

39. By Oregondude on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

Oops. I meant to say NAIA

40. By Mike Ellingboe on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

@Chuck1,

Including the Panthers was part of the point I was making. They did have a designated OC. Obviously having one didn’t help their cause at all. By percentage, the teams w/o one did better than those who do.

I say again, it’s not as much about the play calling at this level of play as it is who has the ball in their hands. There hasn’t been an issue with the Whiz’s playcalling when Big Ben and Warner were taking the snaps, just as there isn’t an issue in NE and KC with Brady and Cassel. Don’t care who the OC is or isn’t, having DA at QB negates any perceived advantages.

41. By Darren Urban on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

Oregondude —

RE: SOU/NAIA

Looks like you are right. I was confused because they play Div II schools.

42. By Nick on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

@cards62
    you are a hoorrible fan. I’m ashamed to even say that I’m in the same category as you for being a Cardinals fan. The coaches shouldn’t have any blame. When we have inconsistent qb it doesn’t help anybody. Oh and Max Hall doesn’t have the arm strength to be making the throws compared to John Skelton

43. By cfansinc75 on Jan 22, 2011 | Reply

Hey UC, what’s Leinart doing now?

44. By UC on Jan 22, 2011 | Reply

@Mike Ellingboe,

Yes, that’s the easy and obvious logic to follow, and probably accounts for why King Whiz hasn’t already been fired. However, what that logic fails to consider is that this past season, when King Whiz had the team to himself with nobody to correct, overcome, or challenge his decision-making and leadership, the team had one of the most embarrassing seasons I can remember since they moved to AZ. Considering the talent they have, the core of which was in the Super Bowl two years ago, the performance this year was pathetic, and the blame for that lies entirely at King Whiz’s feet.

But of course, the response would be that the core lost a future Hall of Fame QB last year. I would contend that if the playcalling being successful depends entirely upon the abilities of a Hall of Fame QB and can’t function without it, then there’s a problem with the playcalling. Even though you’d like to place the blame on DA, you neglect that both the selection of DA and the cutting of the “bad” Leinart were both King Whiz decisions.

And I have to say, your later reply to Chuck1 is laughable. When King Whiz is so predictably calling ill-advised pass plays on third-and-short, that even the game commentators are discussing it, then there’s a problem. If your contention that the plays being run at this level don’t matter as much as the execution, then why do both offenses and defenses in the NFL spend so much time and effort trying to hide what they’re doing?

And trying to drag Carolina’s performance this year into a discussion about something other than how dumb it is for an owner to gut a team of it’s best players is just silly.

45. By Mike Ellingboe on Jan 22, 2011 | Reply

@UC,

Yes, that’s the easy and obvious logic to follow

I thought so as well, until I read the rest of your response. The core of the Super Bowl team is still intact? With the exception of Antonio Smith, Betrand Berry, Chike Okeafor, Karlos Dansby, Antrel Rolle, Kurt Warner, Edgerrin James, Anquan Boldin, Terrelle Smith, Mike Gandy, Reggie Wells, Neil Rackers, and Dirk Johnson I can’t think of any starters from that team that are no longer with us.

The reason for dragging Carolina into the conversation is Chuck seems to think it’s absolutely necessary to have a designated OC to be successful, then he turns around and mentions that two of the three teams that don’t won their division. Carolina has a designated OC, and still managed to end up with the #1 pick. If I word it that way maybe the two of you will pick up on the fallacy of the argument.

Third and short is all about execution, the advantages are all in favor of the offense. Third and long dictates pass, hence the reason for nickel and dime packages. Makes it much easier for the DL to pin their ears back since they don’t have to worry about defending the run. Third and short opens up all kinds of passing lanes since the defense still has to gear their alignment to defending the run. Still following along? If DA (or any QB at this level) can’t complete passes under 10 yards there is no way to get the run game going as DC’s around the league will pick up on that and load the box with 8, even 9 if necessary. While it may have seemed hardheaded to keep calling pass plays in those situations you have to take what the “D” gives you and hope, at some point, that your offense can execute relatively easy plays. Very difficult to win in a QB driven league with someone who had a QB rating that had to be last in the league amongst regular starters. To that point the criticism of the Whiz and/or FO is valid. But they aren’t the first group to think they could win with someone else’s castoffs.

Can’t remember any seasons this embarrassing? Did you miss the Stallings, Ryan, McGinnis and Green eras? This team didn’t run any fake 50 yard field goals right at the half, didn’t boldly proclaim having a winner in town and then aliented half it’s players, didn’t stand on the podium after coughing up a 20 point lead in one quarter w/o giving up any offensive TD’s and rant about the opposition being who we thought they were, etc. Unlike anyone else, this group has delivered division titles. Sounds like you’re either brand new to the fanbase or have a very short memory.

46. By heartthrob315 on Jan 22, 2011 | Reply

lets GO CARDZ next season will be better

47. By Chuck 1 on Jan 23, 2011 | Reply

To Mike:
    Apparently, your logic regarding whether a team should have a designated OC (other than the HC) is that it depends on the capability of the OC.
    OK.
    When Whiz is the OC again in 2011, we’ll see how well the offense does.
    I’m sure that, with a new QB, the offense will be whizzing right along because Whiz has proven that he is a top notch OC.
    I would think that all of the HCs who were OCs would continue to call the plays. Why add another person to their staff?

48. By UC on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

@Mike Ellingboe –

It’s obvious that you really enjoy your dense sarcasm, so I’ll let you keep it and will only briefly comment. I said “core” and you proceeded to rattle off every starter you could think of, and seem to have forgotten players who started portions of that season who are still with the team. Oops.; you’re convenient qualifier “…hope, at some point…” on predictably passing on third-and-short even when it is repeatedly leading to failure buys into King Whiz’s magical thinking that, by God, one simply cannot possibly ever presume to run the ball on a defense that thinks you might, possibly, maybe, somehow, even think about considering trying to do so; and the embarrassment of this season was based on the results/talent ratio of this season’s players. So no, I’m not new to the fanbase, I’m just not as much of a reality-denying homer as you apparently are.

I did like your off-handed, “minor-point” mention of the King Whiz-caused QB debacle this season, though.

2. Jan 20, 2011: Tweets that mention Word From the Birds Blog -- Topsy.com