Talking DC at the Senior Bowl

Posted by Darren Urban on January 20, 2011 – 2:14 pm

As I wrote earlier in a story, Ken Whisenhunt will be interviewing multiple candidates for defensive coordinator at the Senior Bowl next week. And there are candidates from current playoff teams too (No, he didn’t say. Yes, I would be shocked if at least one of them isn’t working for the Steelers).

As an FYI, permission is required right away to talk to any assistant coach. If a guy is under contract, getting that permission is necessary. If a coach’s contract is expiring, obviously, he is a “free agent” like a player would be, but there is a lag time of about a week-and-a-half before he is “free.” Before then — for instance, if you want to talk to a guy right away after his season ends, whenever that might be — permission must still be granted.

It’s no shock the Senior Bowl will be an interview time. So many coaches are there, it’s simply very convenient to talk to candidates down there (and a little more out of the spotlight, if so desired).

For anyone panicked about the speed of things, it’s interesting to note Todd Haley was hired as offensive coordinator (and Clancy Pendergast retained as defensive coordinator) on January 25 in 2007, after Whisenhunt had talked to candidates at the Senior Bowl. If the Cards went to the scouting combine without coordinators, that would be a problem. That won”t happen.

And when Whisenhunt talks about fit, he is also keeping in mind any possible work stoppage that could dramatically shorten the offseason. Defensive terminology that is similar to what the Cards have had is part of this equation, so that players who might not be around can still absorb what is needed to be absorbed for the 2011 season.

Tags: , , , ,

89 Responses to “Talking DC at the Senior Bowl”

1. By Michelle on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Larry fitzgerald Signs Autographs And Takes Pictures This Saturday
    Jan 22 at the Shout House / Westgate From 1pm – 3pm

2. By Eazy E on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Whiz is teasing us with not giving the names up.

3. By Rich on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

prefer whiz taking his time and making the right choice.

Darren, is there a deadline for extending contracts? Is it the March date when players formally become fre agents?

4. By Darren Urban on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Rich —

RE: Contract extensions

Players can sign extensions up until March 3, when the CBA expires that night at mindnight EST. If a new CBA isn’t reached by then, all those players will be in limbo.

5. By nikko on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

darren–
    I know Coach Whiz like the 3-4 defense but it seems the 4-3 was working out better for us and also seems to suit us better, what are your thoughts?

6. By Darren Urban on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Nikko —

RE: Defensive scheme

I expect the Cards to continue to use a hybrid with a 3-4 bent.

7. By tyman on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

I think this is a good move by whiz. We need the right guy witht the right defensive mind to run our D. We have been stocking up on young LB’s we need a guy that knows how to use them with crazy blitzes and coveages.

8. By greg on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

So last night I heard that Jim Mora Jr. was not interested in the DC positions in Denver and Philly how does this look for AZ? If Mora did show up in AZ would it be a good fit or not?

9. By Darren Urban on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Greg —

RE: Mora

Addressed in this story: http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Whisenhunt-Taking-Time-With-DC/bda9319c-bbb6-464b-a075-062c86e9ebdf

10. By MIKEFLORIO on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

As of now Ken whisenhunt is looking like he doesn’t know what he is doing.
    He coasted into the Superbowl off of good player progression from a Dennis Green staff. If anyone was given the keys to the car it was whisenhunt.
    His slow progression to develop any sort of cohesion with any coordinators should be evident enough.
    He is a OC at best, he can’t let the reins go, and is proving he is not a worthy head coach.
    I feel sorry for Russ Grimm and the rest of the Cardinals organization. They put their money into a shame of a coach.
    I guarentee that come next season this time, Whisenhunt will be looking for employment.

11. By Scott H on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

MIKEFLORIO-

How ’bout if we keep Whiz and fire you instead?

12. By drumm-1 on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

@Mikeflorio, why do you come here, you never have anything but negative comments… if the team or coaching staff is that bad to you why bother being a so call fan..

13. By Scott H on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Coach Whiz doesn’t have to keep me informed of every move he makes to keep me happy. I want him to find the people who will help the team win more games. THAT will make me happy. Anyone who feels “teased” by not knowing who he has in mind is not being reasonable.

14. By Big Red on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Hey mikeflorio, and I hope next year at this time you’ll be looking for a new team. Cardinal fans like you we don’t need. You must be a very negative person, go to dallas. That’s the kind of fans they have over there.

15. By Alberto Sordi on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Whiz should at least interview a few creative offensive minds. Bates was let go by Seattle and he has a reputation of developing young quarterbacks. At least there appears to be a plan on the defensive side. If the Bears can turn around in a year certainly the Cards can.

16. By Jim in Missouri on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Hi Darren, I see where Chuck Cecil is not being brought back by the Titans.

As far as you know, is there anything from his past with the team that would keep him from being considered as a DC candidate?

He seemed to to a decent job with the Titans, and would bring a much-needed nasty attitude to this team.

Just thinking out loud …

17. By Darren Urban on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Jim in —

RE: Cecil

Do not see it, but not because of his past history.

18. By cardsalltheway on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

To some degree I’ll agree with ‘MIKEFLORIO,’ Ken W. will have to pull off the perfect rabbit/hat trick to save himself next year unless the Bidwill’s turn their backs on the fans after another horrible season and put up with the status quo.

I think Ken W. could be the most polarizing head coach in the NFL.

I’m not sure any of Ken W.’s “skill-sets,” fit with the Cardinal players.
    And, I sure hope Ken W. is also doing “a lot of research” on hiring an Offensive Coordinator b/c “Obviously ( insert offense ) is an area we need to improve in.”

19. By Edijkstra on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

It scares me that Whiz had multiple conversations with Mora, whom I find to not be very bright. My first major clue was that, when he was the Atlanta coach, he told a Seattle radio station that his dream job is to coach the U of W. Seeing him as a mediocre TV commentator just confirms my impression.

20. By wayne on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

MIKEFLORIA,

The Cardinals have 1 bad season out of the last 4, they have won 2 Division titles and gone to the Super Bowl, do you know how many teams wish they could say that ? well let me help you, 49ers, Rams, Seahawks, Raiders, Broncos, jags, Texans, Browns, I’ll stop there (but I can’t) Panthers, Bucs, Redskins, Bengals, Chargers, Giants, Dolphins, Ravens, Vikings, Jags and untill this year the Bears, Chiefs, Jets, Eagles. we will be back!
    So would you like to be a fan of any of those teams because there’s plenty of room somewhere else

21. By brad oneill on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

whack a mole game live on the cardinals site.

mikeflorio pops up whack him. (in the spirit of non violent hatefulness we are now supposed to observe in all forms of discourse please use a padded mallet when you whack him).

22. By John on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

No reason to rush. In fact the best NFL defenses are that of the four remaining teams in the playoffs. It’s too important of a decision to do it in haste.

23. By Pheenic Cromartie on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

I’m glad to know he has plans for the DC job. I had actually started to suspect that he’d forgotten about it, or that he wasn’t serious about it at all.

Get us a good DC, Coach Whiz, and while you’re at it, if you can pick up a good OC too, that would be great!

24. By Eric JB on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Could you elaborate on Cecil? Why do you think he is an unlikely candidate?

25. By dan stirnaman on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

I agree with everyone that i think the coaching staff should be looked at not just the players.

26. By Mike Ellingboe on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

@florio,

Of all the stupid arguments that I’m tiring of the whole “Whiz coasted into the SuperBowl” on Denny Green’s coattails is squarely at the top. What did Denny’s guys accomplish before the Whiz arrived? Dockett, Dansby, and Lutui were three of the league’s biggest underachievers who improved dramatically once Green left. Antrel Rolle couldn’t make it at his drafted position, and the leftover QB was taking playing time away from Warner – who was still a turnover machine until the Whiz corrected that flaw. Even the crown jewel of Green tenure was pushed to new levels by Todd Haley.

Can’t coach? How many winning seasons did Green have here? I apparently forgot about the powerhouse that was the Arizona Cardinals before Whisenhunt came along and screwed it all up…

27. By Phoenixraven1 on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

So right man, Florio go fly a kite!

28. By georgiebird on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

Whiz has to be one of the more disliked coaches in the league. Even Coach Coughlin has more backing on the Giants site and the Giants just suffered one of the most devastating seasons in their history.
    Many fans on this site like myself feel that Whiz is in over his head. We feel he has done little to develop this team for the future. Whiz was very fortunate to have Warner and the supporting cast.
    There is another group of fans that feel like Whiz came within a hair of winning it all and is a very good coach and should be given our support..
    2011 should be a make or break year for Whiz. Because of the importance of 2011, Whiz should be given all the time he needs in getting his coaching staff put together. If the team fails to win 8 games with the easiest schedule in the NFL then Whiz should be fired. Another losing season will confirm that Whiz was “given the car” as Mike Florio puts it.

29. By Cactus Jeff on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

I still like Kevin Greene, any new info on him? .

30. By AndyStandsUp on Jan 20, 2011 | Reply

What importance does Whisenhunt have to hire a a DC with whom he’s played, coached or coached with? I realize it’s human nature to feel more comfortable around people when you know their capablities and limitations, but if he’s looking at one of the playoff team’s coaches, he has a handful of candidates.
    Other than the Steeler’s Butler(who may have done it) and company, only Packer’s Dom Caper(not happening), Kevin Greene(inexperienced) and Darren Perry(coached Polamulu, Asomaugha and Woodson)know the secret handshake.
    Darren, will you be going to Mobile to follow this potential story or rely on two Dixie cups with a string to further this insatiable story?

31. By John on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

drumm-1

Funny you should make that comment to MIKEFLORIO, I often wonder why you come here. Do you do anything other then be negative about other peoples comments and whine about how much more of as fan you are then everyone else? I don’t believe I’ve ever seen one idea or comment from you about how the team can improve.

32. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

Whiz will promote from within. Not what I want, but given the labor uncertainty, and that there is no guarantee he can get his man from Pittsburgh, in all likelihood an assistant coach already on the team will be given the job.

33. By Cert 33 on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

I also agree with Florio, except for the Dennis Green part. Our legacy of 4th qtr. defensive collapses begin during his watch. They cost us a Super bowl win and nearly a playoff loss to the Pack. I would have like to have seen Jon Gruden brought in with a new staff. I believe the Whiz has gone as far as the Haley/Warner machine was going to take him. I also belive that big John Skelton is a adequate starter and only Anderson’s veteran backup position needs to be filled. The defensive side needs all the high draft picks to go with the new DC.

34. By Darren Urban on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

Eric JB —

RE: Cecil

Never coached a 3-4, for one. Just was fired for another.

Obviously, there are candidates out there to guess on. But it’s amazing to me that every single time a guy is fired, someone says, “What about him?” I will ask you (and any other fan) this: What makes you think he should be a candidate?

35. By Darren Urban on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

georgie —

RE: Whiz

Look, I’m not going to argue that you shouldn’t be able to criticize.

And maybe you are right the majority of the fans on this site don’t like him — at least the ones who chime in with comments.

But realistically, then, how many people are we talking about? Seriously? Fifteen? Twenty?

You all have the right to the opinion. But in the grand scheme, it’s hard to say he is “most disliked” when there simply is a very small group of fans talking about it.

36. By Darren Urban on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

Cactus —

RE: Greene

He’s still the Packers OLB coach.

37. By Darren Urban on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Mobile

I will not be going to the Senior Bowl.

38. By latch on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

@mike ellingboe

very well put……….

how darren tolerates the constant toxic spew from supposedly fans is beyond me.

39. By latch on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

re:@mike ellingboe

since coryell, no coach until Whiz has had a winning record; i would like for any of the experts,which probably weren’t even born and don’t know who coryell was to list the coach and year of any winning season except jake’s trip to Dallas .

40. By Voice of Reason on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

Darren, come on now. All coaches are filed. Unless you are Joe Paterno. Heck, even Tom Landry was fired.

So the fact that a coach was fired previously should have no effect on whether he is a candidate. Plus, it’s clear that it is not — we spoke to Mora who has indeed been fired before.

Also — you make an interesting (albeit off the mark) point about comparing the slow process this year to 2007. Two completely different situations. In 2007, Whiz himself was hired. THEN he had to make up his entire staff.

Here, in 2011, good coordinators have been out there and then snatched up by other teams acting quickly. Can’t say I’m excited about an unnamed position coach with Pittsburgh. What’s up with Mangini?

41. By Darren Urban on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

Voice —

RE: Mangini

I haven’t heard his name connected anywhere of late. I was thinking he might do a Mora (collect his Cleveland paychecks for a year) but PFT interviewed him and he said he was exploring options.

As for the firing thing, I wasn’t trying to say you never go after a coach who has been fired. But seriously — and you pay attention to what I am seeing — it seems like as soon as a name pops up, someone jumps on it, period. Just because it is a name. I know it’s probably unfair to lump all the fans together, but it’s hard not to from my perspective, and seriously, if there has been any sort of recognizable name in the news, someone says “What about such-and-such as DC?”

I mean, I have had people suggest Tom Cable and Brian Billick as DC, for goodness sake.

42. By Mike Ellingboe on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

@latch,

Refreshing to know there are a few fans still around that can accurately recite our past history.

@Darren,

I’m surprised nobody has thrown out the idea of bringing Vince Tobin or Buddy Ryan back as a DC (or maybe they have and I just missed it). Of course, if they continue to follow the logic of suggesting Billick and Cable it’s Green’s name you’ll be hearing next.

43. By cards62 on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

To Darren and Georgia Bird

Most of us fans like Ken W. and respect the job that he has done. Especially us older fans who have lived every year of our dismal past so we do respect and relish the winning seasons, playoff victories and Superbowl run, and we give Ken W. a good portion of the credit for those victories but we also acknowledge the entire coaching staff helped especially Todd Haley, we acknowledge Kurt W. roll in the victories, Larry Fitz. incredible play, D. Dockett great play and all the turnovers our defense created.

Denny Green and Rod Graves did bring in some great players and they had horrible records to secure high draft choices to assist in this process, but selecting players is a skill Denny seems to have, and the jury is still out if Ken W. and Rod G. are as strong, but coaching up players is a different skill than selecting players and Denny and his staff did not do this for the Cardinals, but Ken W. and his staff did do this very well for 3 straight seasons and we love him for that.

Before 2010 most of uis thought we had the next great NFL coach, but man in 2010 Coach Whiz really had us scratching our heads. I will not put us all through the pain again, but safe to say 2011 is now a large year for Coach Whiz. and the rest of the Cardinal Organization to proof something to all of us fans. Most of us fans want Ken W. to succeed and to show us that 2010 was a fluke, just part of his learning process.

Lovie Smith of the Bears was a very good bet to be fired this year if the Bears did not make the playoffs. Whiz has pressure next year as do a lot of coaches to perform well as this is the NFL.

One fan brought up the Giants dismal season and yet Tom Coughlin is safe so he must be well regarded. Tom Coughlin should be well regarded based upon his many years of being a head coach, but trust me if the Giants do not perfrom well next year Tom C. will be fired, and the Giants season was no where as bad as our season this year. Look at their record, opponents played, offensive and defensive rankings not great but not horrible like our 2010 season. I am sorry to say this again but we were awful in 2010 not bad but awful and this is why most of us are so mad or upset this year and not drinking the kool-aid. We can handle losing but we can not handle not being competitive and not seeing effort from our players and coaches and front office.

We all love the Cardinals and want them to do well, we just differ on our strategy the team needs to follow, the players especially QB that needs to be signed and we differ on how we communicate our feelings on this blog, but most of us do not want to start over with a new head coach so we are hoping he learned many valuable lessons in 2010 and we pray our front office will do everything in their power for the good of the team, coaches, and especially fans for 2011.
    GO BIG RED.

44. By georgiebird on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

How many times do we have to discuss Whiz before people see the light. The dislike comes from the fact that most fans on this site feel they have been duped. The rise of the Cardinals (w/Warner) from SuperBowl participants and then the fall (w/o Warner) to just about the worst team in the league in one year has people irate, confused and skeptical.
    Fans like Drumm make no sense getting on other fans for being negative. After you say Larry and maybe DD and Rhodes what is there to be positive about. If you start talking about prospects, then the question is who did OB, DWash, DWill, Skelton beat out. It’s similar to DRC- if the Cardinals weren’t so bad on Rush defense, DRC would get torched regularly-and who did DRC beat out. There is no one on this team who is getting better with each passing year.
    The negative fans are the most passionate- I hope ownership feels our pain.
    The Cardinals situation with the juxtaposition of Whiz and Warner is very unique. I can clearly see both sides of the love/hate relationship with Whiz.
    When the 2011 season opens- I know that every fan on this site will be rooting for the Cardinals to win and none of us will be rooting for Whiz to lose.
    The uniform rules- but “fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.”

45. By Ryan on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

What do you think about Mike Trgovac? I realize he can’t be interviewed until the Packers season ends, but I think he might be a good fit. Carolina had a pretty good defense when he was there as coordinator. Since he has a 4-3 background with Carolina and now 3-4 experience with Green Bay, I think that would help with the hybrid they want to run. But again, the Cardinals will not be able to effectively run a 3-4 until they get at least 1 if not 2 good pass rushers. He can go back to a 4-3 base if that doesn’t evolve. In addition, Trgovac has done well in B.J. Raji’s development and may help with Dan Williams development as well.

46. By formerAZresident on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

What about Bill Cowher just kidding. I just wanted to be like sum of the others and throw in any name for DC.

47. By David C. on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

MIKEFLORIO, despite his negative demeanor, makes a valid point. Whisenhunt succeeded with Dennis Green’s team. Whisenhunt finally installed “his guys” last year, and we went back to a 5-11 team. He’s provided no stability at the two most important assistant coaching positions. When struggling last year, Whisenhunt refused to make adjustments. He sabotaged the development of Leinart, and ran him out of town before we even found out if he’d be a suitable starter. He made us suffer through the Derek Anderson-Max Hall-John Skelton-Richard Bartel era. Whether most of you want to accept it or not, Whiz is looking more and more a winner by circumstance than difference maker.

48. By Dustin D on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

I like whiz. Everybody needs to calm down and wait and see what happens. All of you who want a DC to already have been hired, chill out. I mean the season is still two weeks from being over. I promise its not the end of the world we dont have our man yet. Its not gona kill you, your not gona get eaten or anything like that. Relax and be thankful we have had 2 winning seasons. Everything will be just fine.

49. By Darren Urban on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: Whiz

I don’t know if you can blanket-statement and say the negative fans are the most passionate. I do think they are the mostly likely to post stuff.

As much as I would love to say every Cardinal fan reads my stuff, that’s not true. So it is difficult to know exactly which way “most” fans lean.

Again, I understand exactly why angry fans are angry. I read it every single day. Every day.

50. By Darren Urban on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

Ryan —

RE: Trgovac

An interesting name. You are right, he does have background in both (although they aren’t going to change what they are doing).

And until the Cards develop one or two better pass rushers, it won’t matter if they play a 3-4 or 4-3.

51. By drumm-1 on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

@john, Mike must be your boyfriend.. the season not over i let the coaches coach and the players play, why complain and say what i think they should do when it wouldn’t matter anyway..I can ask you the same thing, why do you come here, your comments are always negative toward the team you suppose to be rooting for. You just don’t say what you think they should do, you always say, but they wont because they suck or because whiz is a idiot, thats really helping the team..HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!!!

52. By Mike Ellingboe on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

@georgiebird,

Without getting overly defensive I’d like to hear more on your reasoning that it was only Warner that got us to the Super Bowl. You’re not the only one who makes that claim but knowing he was here since 2005 makes me ask. If that’s all it was, and if it was Green’s players with him back then why didn’t we have a SB appearance in 2005? Why did we feel it necessary to draft a QB in round 1 in 2006?

I get that you hate how 2010 turned out (who didn’t?) but I don’t understand how nothing positive over the previous three seasons can be credited to Whisenhunt but one lousy season can?

53. By mike hadzinski on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

Darren

Hi there long time since i posted.

What about coach mac (mcginnis)

im sure wilson would welcome him wtith open arms seriously we have players when he was here we had bums on the D SIDE except wilson & KVB plus coach mac brings a passion something i think players themselves dont have. i know he is assistant head coach in TENN butt i think his passion energy 4 the game is awsome…. please give me a good answer not he isnt a 3-4 guy ……. thanks darren you remember when i called you like 2years ago before the BEANIE DRAFT & we both thought we would nab ALEX MACK

54. By georgiebird on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

To Mike Ellingboe,
    When Kurt Warner was with the Giants he was a very ordinary QB and the Giants saw fit to start the Eli era early. When Warner got to the Cardinals, he was pressed hard for the QB job by the legendary Josh McCown. At the time, many felt that the bigger, faster, younger McCown was better than Warner and should be the QB in 2006.. Warner was fumbling the ball on a regular basis in 2006 . Comes 2007 and Warner is pressed hard by the great Matt Leinart and loses the QB job- and Warner’s fumbling and lack of zip on the ball continues. During 2007, Leinart gets hurt and Warner gets the job.
    In case you don’t know this, Warner began using the velcro- sticky gloves and his game picked up over the next two years to new levels never seen before including his time with the Rams. The velcro gloves helped Warner hold on to the ball and throw it with more velocity. Warner now had the football smarts he didn’t have with the Rams. and miraculously Warner’s fumbling stopped.
    How can Warner go from a guy who couldn’t clearly beat out McCown and Leinart to one of the greatest QBs I have ever seen for a two year period- It was the Velcro Gloves- to think it was Whiz is a pipe dream. Whiz, At Best, is an average NLF HC. If he was able to stop Warner from fumbling why can’t he stop THT.
    Today many NFL QBs (Vick, Big Ben, Sanchez et.al) wear the gloves for the very reason Warner did.

55. By Darren Urban on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

Mike Hadzinski —

RE: McGinnis

Mac wouldn’t want to come back here, I am pretty sure.

56. By Darthcard on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

Not gonna say I’m not a lil disappointed the cardinals haven’t hired a DC. But I will say this=Whiz has every right to take his time and get the coach he is most comfortable with. I believe in Whiz. He is not perfect but I really believe he is a great coach. I will say this though every great head coach has great coaches working with him. Personally I could care less if we get the high priced FA’s. But if I could say 1thing to the Bidwills it would good coaches are always worth their weight in gold so please spare no expense to the men who will teach.

57. By Eric on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

I love it when people, Monday morning QB’s and self proclaimed “experts”, want to fire somebody because he had a bad year. First, NO ONE here understands what the true ins and out of this organization are, nor do they understand the game itself in an expert fashion, or they would be coaching themselves. There is a reason there are very few NFL coaches, and clearly, given the economic ramifications of winning versus losing, the coaches that are HC’s are the very best at what they do. If they wanted or needed your help, you’d be on the payroll.

My opinion, after listnening to all the bitching and complaining, is the biggest whiners are the ones that came around because of the recent success of this organization. Having said that, if your not all in, go away. The Cardinals and the Cardinals fans don’t need you. I also was unhappy about last year, but at the same time I’m not dumb enough to think that I, or any of you Boo Birds could have done a better job. Continuity is the most important thing in this league and Whiz is struggling to get this corrected. I have all the confidence that everyone in the Cards Organization is doing there absolute best.

You have to accept the bad with the good. Lets give the guy a chance to get this thing back to where HE had it. He deserves it, and has my support.

GO CARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

58. By John on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

drumm-1

The very first thing you said shows exactly your character and why everything you say is pointless and invalid. Keep complaining about fans.

59. By Mike Ellingboe on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

@georgiebird,

Velcro gloves? Ok, explain how that gave him more football smarts? I’d say Green made a major mistake in evaluating his QB’s if he ever thought Leinart and McCown were anywhere near his level of play.

His ability to deliver the ball quickly, accurately, and to read a defense was never in question. Warner’s issue coming out of STL was not being able to look past the pass rush after getting hit a few times. It was on display during his brief time with the Giants as well. At some point in time under the Whiz he overcame that, and his ball security issues, and became the same QB he was in STL. For as great as his numbers were here they didn’t match what he did during the greatest show on turf years. Gloves do allow for a better grip on the ball, they don’t change where you’re holding it when you’re standing in the pocket. That’s just getting back to basic mechanics.

Velcro gloves – Apparently nothing the Whiz has done up to this point will ever reasonate with you. What’s next? The zodiac was lined up perfectly over Phoenix in 2008? If only we had thought to put some on DA…

60. By Scott H on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

Darren –

Man, you are absolutely right about how utterly crazy it has gotten with people throwing out any name that pops into their heads to be our next DC. And, yeah, I admit that I myself asked about Dave McGinnis a few weeks back! BUT at least he was a defensive coach at one time! When people start asking about BRIAN BILLICK as a DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR…at that point, you know you are dealing with someone who is about as clueless as you can get.

I think the news about Chuck Cecil being fired was about five minutes old when I was already seeing his name appear in some posts! Unless people are just jumping on him because he played here once and they recognize the name…he’s yet another guy I just don’t get. Not much of a track record in regard to time served OR succcess.

In regard to the Whiz vs Warner thing…I can see valid points on each side. But, honestly, who cares at this point? Time will tell. Yes, the team coached by Whiz to a SB in 2008 had a lot of Green’s guys. OK. We know. Doesn’t matter who the coach was or was not. This team wasn’t going to a SB without Warner playing at the level he did that year. Period. That is the ONLY thing we can ALL say for sure. Well, we can also say for sure that this team sunk like a brick the moment Warner walked away. Blame that on Whiz if you want…but do you really think the team would have been any better this past season if Dennis Green were the coach? I don’t think so. IMHO, take whichever coach you like. Either way – if Warner is here, the team wins. If Warner is gone, it doesn’t. And it definitely did not!

61. By john on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

I know it is very early in the process and Coaches will keep things close to the vest, but is there any players that our coaching staff can’t wait to see in either the East-West shrine or Senior bowl.
    Every year, someone shoots up the draft board after these weeks of practice (ie Brandon Graham last year).
    Any insight?

Also, what has happened to this blog? Chuck Cecil and Dave Mac ? Billick and Cable? Wow.

My question about our new DC is, can anyone run a traditional 3-4 defense with our personal? Most 3-4 defenses have block eating ends and NT (love Williams) who play two gaps and free up athletic Linebackers. Dockett and Cambell do not fit.They are penetrating ends who allow guards to get on to the linebackers. So we run this hybred 3-4 that seems to be near the bottom each year against the run. And with little outside pass rush, we struggle stopping the pass also.
    Do you feel to be a successful DC with the cards really depends on the personel up front? Can a true 3-4 coach be successful here with this personel?
    Well besides Tom Cable. :)

62. By drumm-1 on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

@Mike Ellingboe, nice post.. i too think Whiz a little to do with the winning we had the last couple of years, 500 or better in 3 of the 4 years he’s been here says something i would think…

@John as i will, and you keep complaining about a team thats you say you love, i just don’t see how some of the fans can say they love a team but keep call them stupid,and they don’t want to win and the coach don’t know what he’s doing..just let the offseason play out before we as fans judge the team by moves they can’t make at this time because of the cba..

63. By georgiebird on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

Mike Ellingboe,
    Warner admitted on many occasions that he was always learning his trade. Of course he was a smarter QB in 2008-2009 then he ever was before. Why would you even contest that? Have you ever heard of the word “experience” ? Green’s evaluation process was right on- Warner was making huge mistakes when he joined the Cardinals in the form of untimely fumbles and interceptions. The gloves were the right remedy and when combined with the experience will make Warner a HOFer.
    And just for the record, while Josh McCown didn’t have too much success, he was was the most successful QB against the 49ers over the past decade.
    While there is no denying that Whiz made it to the SuperBowl with a lot of hard work, the players responsible for the success were not developed by Whiz. The defense was bad and Warner, Boldin, and Fitz were already there.
    Whiz’ best move as a head coach was not cutting Edgerrin James but having the foresight to see James as being a main cog the deeper we went into the playoffs. So even though they had a bad relationship, Whiz did a great job with Edge. It was a move that would have been embellished had the lousy defense been able to make ONE stop.

64. By scott023 on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

@ Eric You are the smart one, you are a legend, Wow! In your opinion, people that are mad,sad, and not liking the smoke screen, we are bandwagon fans? Eric, I have been a fan as a young boy in St. Louis when Jimmy Hart was the QB. I was a fan when eight of the pro bowl players were cardinals. They were paid some of the lowest pay in the nfl. When they rallied and went to the front office most of their football days were numbered and some traded to the worst teams one to canada. The fan base in St. Louis went to there lowest levels. Thats why the move to Arizona. I have never ever stopped caring for this team and the players. For you to say what you said about hc’s then go back to the cardinals and look at there hc’s and there win loss records and tell me they were great? Very few were ever great, still hc’s. To think for a second that I don’t want coach whiz to be great, think again. The truth is he was an o.c. and a good one at pitt ! A good Head coach we will see? After warners exit bad choices on a vet QB and guessing at QB’s week to week. Because he is still here, to late for next year to change now. I have seen his play calling on the cardinals and he was very bad. The buck stops with the head coach (he makes the calls). Blame the QB? Coach whiz picked him. We were in the weakest div and we were last. That is why fans are upset, and still no change yet! We need not just a D.C. we need an O.C. also.

65. By Chuck 1 on Jan 21, 2011 | Reply

For we Cards fans who want the Cards to make the playoffs every year, the way that the Steelers do business would be a good method to copy.

Check the link below for a blog that I found on the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette website. It is an article by Peter King of Sports Illustrated; “Steeler Way Reaps Dividends”.

Unfortunately, it appears that the Cards’ Scouting Department, GM and coaches don’t match up to the Steelers’ organization.

66. By DenDude on Jan 22, 2011 | Reply

For some reason it seems that every one of coach Whisenhunt’s decisions has to undergo such scrutiny, I get that people are ticked, but it gets to the point where civility is lost. I understand that many loyal fans from all over disagree with the kinds of decisions he makes sometimes. I encourage debate among fans from young to old, but want it to be in a civil way, and want us to remember that we all owe something to Whiz for what he’s done so far. I am ticked about this year but understand that he did what he thought was best for the team.

67. By mike hadzinski on Jan 22, 2011 | Reply

Darren

Real quick i play in a flag football league called usftl @ the gym i ran into a kid named jason JUSTIN BLACMON is his cousin he said the cards will take him in 2 RD if he is there who the hell is the kid can you post anything on him his cousin told me he is the NEXT ANQUAN BOLDIN

68. By johnnybluenose on Jan 22, 2011 | Reply

DAVID, agree 100% with your comments about whiz. the way he handled lineart was not only shameful it was stupid. and he has not done much to harness the potential of both hightower and wells, the latter’s health problems notwithstanding. and WAYNE, i hope for the cardinals as much as anyone but they are not coming back anytime soon. they are years away from being a strong team.

69. By SteveDCO on Jan 22, 2011 | Reply

Whiz is one of the better coaches in the NFL. He took an awful franchise and took them to the SuperBowl and into the playoffs the following year.

Coahc Whiz took a risk on a beaten down QB that was passed his prime and helped him solidify his HoF career.

This has been an awful franchise for a long, long time. The joke used to be unless you lived in the desert or Ohio you had a chance to win the SuperBowl every year.

There are going to be some down years as Coach Whiz and Graves continue to add depth. We got lucky on some FA signings like with Warner and Berry and they made a huge impact to help cover some serious depth issues.

We are very close to having a solid D with a cornerback and pass rusher being it’s needs.

The issue continues to be the O. The O line is weak, but looked better late with a QB who could step out of the box. We have no TEs who belong starting on an NFL roster.

And the most important spot on any NFL roster…we have no QB. Skleton went 2-2 and may be the issue long term for this franchise (for Coach Whiz not me to decide) but DA was not able to lead this team.

I respect Coach Whiz for making the couragous choice and cutting Matt L. He was a cancer in the locker room and had no chance to lead this team any where. Could we have won the division with Matt, probably, but at what cost?

We would have been stuck as a medicore team for the next 3 to 4 years with a bad QB. It would have been the safe move to leave a #1 pick in the starting role and let the team be crap.

Pittsburg is one of the best franchises in the modern era. Coach Whiz is using them as a model for building the Cards. If they can come close all the haters on here will be eating a lot of crow. Not that any of them would come on here and admit it.

Coach Whiz could have another 2 or 3 years of 5 or 6 wins and I believe he would still be safe. The Bidwills and Graves know what they have. Dumping coachs may make fans happy short term but winning is the only real answer.

Whiz is making this franchise winners.

70. By Scott H on Jan 22, 2011 | Reply

Geez…as much as I’ve been trying to be patient and trying to keep my faith that this team has a plan…I see where Jauron is off the market and I hear where the Titans are closing in on Mangini. Outside of anyone still coaching a team that is still playing, those were my top candidiates for DC! I’ll say it again – they better have a plan. And they better make it happen. Failing to land a DC that truly gives the fans confidence is going to be a disaster for this organization. The fact that they haven’t even interviewed anyone ( that we know of ) since Manusky HAS to mean that they know who they want…doesn’t it??? Adding to my discomfort is the fact that the Eagles are also without a DC right now and they’re not chasing people, either. Makes me think they are also waiting for a guy who is still coaching right now. Makes me concerned that maybe they want the same guy(s) we do?

71. By Darren Urban on Jan 22, 2011 | Reply

John —

RE: Shrine/personnel on defense

The Cards are scouting everyone right now. “Can’t wait to see” isn’t really a factor. You don’t want to fall in love with any certain player because there is always a chance you won’t get him.

As for the personnel and a 3-4 coach, I don’t know. For instance, I know that if the Cards do get a better pass rusher or two, they will struggle defensively, whether they play a 4-3 or 3-4. You also don’t know what the personnel exactly will be. I know a lot of people talk about having enough D-linemen, but what if Branch/Watson/Robinson are all gone — suddenly, you have a lot fewer DL.

72. By Darren Urban on Jan 22, 2011 | Reply

Mike H —

RE: Blackmon

Any one who says he knows where he is going in the second round doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

73. By UC on Jan 22, 2011 | Reply

@Eric – “I also was unhappy about last year, but at the same time I’m not dumb enough to think that I, or any of you Boo Birds could have done a better job. Continuity is the most important thing in this league…”

Did you tell King Whiz that before he cut Leinart?

@Mike Ellingoe –

Todd Haley keeps getting lost in the discussion re: Warner vs. King Whiz. Haley’s later success elsewhere sheds much light on that topic.

And ditto brad oneill’s “Whack A Florio” comment, just because he continues pointing out the inconvenient truth, as it were. Though I’m still not sold on Grimm.

74. By SteveDCO on Jan 22, 2011 | Reply

Anyone who says he knows where he is going in the 1st round doesn’t know what he is talking about.

The top 2 or 3 will be known by draft day but those are the only locks. That’s why they have such large draft boards to follow.

75. By UC on Jan 22, 2011 | Reply

@DenDude – “I am ticked about this year but understand that he did what he thought was best for the team.”

That’s the problem, many of us DON’T believe King Whiz has been making decisions based on what he thinks is best for the team. It’s become clear that there are “types” of personalities that King Whiz likes in coaches and players, and that his like for them leads him to favor them and cut them a great deal of slack, even when their performance doesn’t merit it. Furthermore, those with a personality he dislikes get shafted, even when their performance DOESN’T merit that. This is no way to run any kind of organization, because no organization is ever going to be stocked with people who are great at their job AND universally liked. That would be the preference, of course, but it’s not reality.

I’m embarrassed to say that I was a King Whiz Kool-Aid drinker until he cut Leinart, when this fundamental aspect of King Whiz’s thinking started to become clear to me. Some Cardinals fans had figured it out long before then, though. King Whiz likes to harp on about having players compete for positions, which the public likes to hear because we assume that means the player who ends up being chosen is the one who PERFORMED the best. But, as this past season has illustrated, at least sometimes the player being chosen is the player whose personality King Whiz LIKED the best.

76. By Mike Ellingboe on Jan 22, 2011 | Reply

@UC,

Admit it, you would have fired Haley after he went 4-12 in his first season.

77. By Cardiaccard420 on Jan 23, 2011 | Reply

LETS GO CARDINALS!!

78. By SteveDCO on Jan 23, 2011 | Reply

UC – Please name one player who played becuase Whiz liked them better than their back-up?

Matt was 3rd string in Houston so don’t even try to say that.

Porter was rough but who was going to take his place? Will Davis, Cody Brown?

Faneca was a okay this year but we don’t have any clue what Haddnot would have done since he played like 2 snaps at C and a few at TE.

Does Coach Whiz bring in a lot of Steelers, yes. The Steelers are one of the best frnachises in the modern era. He knows the Cards are still weak at many positions and to bolster the roster with players who know how to win is critical to recreating a franchise.

The was one of the bottom 3 or 4 franchises in the NFL when Coach Whiz got here. Denny Greene had made this team a joke after his “We are” rant.

Whiz didn’t do it alone, moving to UoP Stadium was the biggest key in making the Arizona Cardinals a legitamate NFL franchise.

Btw, I love Mike E’s comment….How many of you would have fired Haley after his 1st year?

How many of yo would have hired Mike S. as DC or better yet Brian Billick?

79. By Chuck 1 on Jan 23, 2011 | Reply

Graves and Whiz have taken the Cards from the Penthouse to the Outhouse with their personnel decisions in 2010.
    They are currently on probation with many fans.
    Their personnel decisions regarding coaches, free agents and the draft during this off-season will determine if the fans take them off of probation.

80. By Eric on Jan 23, 2011 | Reply

@scott023: I have been a fan as a young boy in St. Louis when Jimmy Hart was the QB. I was a fan when eight of the pro bowl players were cardinals.

WOW! Then shut up and coach the team already. I called Whiz and let him know you’ll be in on Monday.

@UC: Did you tell King Whiz that before he cut Leinart?

Seeing as Leinart ended up in Houston (THE ONLY YAKER IN THE LEAGUE), and never even dressed, I’m pretty sure that was a solid move there smart guy. What would that clown have added? Again, maybe you could have done a better job.

Like I said, have their back, way back, or go to Dallas with all the other Sunshine fans!!!!!!!!!!!

81. By cardsalltheway on Jan 23, 2011 | Reply

Mike H —
    this JUSTIN BLACMON isn’t even on Mayock’s Top 50-60 players.
    There are at least 5 receivers thought to be better than your man and if you want to learn something about him why don’t you google him? Okay, I did it for you…

The guy is from Oklahoma State and was recently busted for DUI. Do you think he is better than Dez Bryant(who didn’t do much this year for Dallas after MUCH hype)..?

Mayock’s Top 5 per position…

82. By Chuck 1 on Jan 23, 2011 | Reply

To: Mike E.; Haley had that record in his first year and PROGRESSED to the playoffs this season. Whiz REGRESSED in his FOURTH season from 10-6 to 5-11. And, unless Graves and he pull a rabbit out of a hat, I can’t see the Cards winning more than six games next season or seven games in 2012. Remember the Rams have improved, Harbaugh will probably improve the 9ers and Seattle has improved.

To: SteveDCO; God help the Cards franchise (and the fans’ and Darren’s sanity) if Graves and Whiz lead it to “two or three more seasons of five or six wins”!!!

83. By bluepitt on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

Well Yet A New Year And The Same Old Crap From The Cards!!1 You Wonder Why They Havent Got A DC Yet?????? It Is Simple,,,, If They Chill Like They Did With Matty, They Can Say There Was No One Left To Get, That Is Why They Picked Up Mr. Noname For Penuts!!!!!!! HAHAHa All The Teams That Are Comited To Winning Are Allready Making Tons Of Moves!!!!

84. By bluepitt on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

We Cards Fans Are Like The Wife That Keeps Coming Home To A Beating!!1 One Good Day (1998 Playoffs) And We Are Here For A Nother 10yrs Geting Beatings, Then We Get Sick Of It And, BOOM A Nother Good Day (2008 SB Run)
    Ahhh And Now A Nother 10yrs of whoopens!!!!

85. By UC on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

@Mike Ellingboe –

No, only an idiot would fire a head coach after only one season, before they’ve had a chance to bring in their own personnel. Although doing just that seems to have worked somewhat for Seattle, so who knows.

@SteveDCO –

Since you asked for ONE, and then conveniently excluded Leinart, I’ll give you Wells. I love THT, I want him on the team for a long time, and I think he probably will be a very good player. But Wells is special and will be a great player, and that’s easy to see. I get the impression that something went very wrong between Wells and King Whiz this season.

And for everyone who feels comfortable hating on Leinart, the fact is that the genius King Whiz cut a player that the organization had invested millions of dollars in, who had been in the system for years, and who was learning from a future HOF QB. That the genius claims to have made that decision based on the purported abilities of one Derek Anderson is just sad, and it’s sad that people continue to believe him.

If you all weren’t such a bunch of homers you would see how monumentally stupid King Whiz’s decision was on it’s face. Leinart may have ended up tanking here this season, or he may have been a godsend, but we’ll never know since King Whiz decided to not allow us to find out. I, for one, don’t believe he would have played even close to as poorly as DA did.

And for you people who so resolutely refuse to acknowledge how telling this move was, I will remind you that it was only when King Whiz couldn’t get sufficient traction with his pathetic excuses about the lunacy of replacing Leinart with DA, that he began with the magical thinking of “stats not mattering”, and also started trying to remove himself from the center of the issue and instead put the team there, blaming them for the decision because of how they were “responding” to the QB candidates. You people need to wake up and realize what kind of person you’re supporting in King Whiz, because his decision making has injected a cancer into this team, and I’m hardly the first person to say that.

86. By bluepitt on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

@UC, I rest my case with your post. I have been saying that since 09 when he refused to hire a OC and I was scripting his plays from my livingroom, You people wonder why Warner retired???? He stated several times that he would be here as long as Q was here, I do know a couple people, and the word in the front office going in to the playoffs last year was how much or what they could get for Q!!!!! If most of you dont remember I posted a tidbit from Glazer 2 days after we lost to NO, he said 2 teams wanted Q Balt. being one!!!!!!!! Well if Warner was enything he was a man of his word!!! They were going to tear apart his WR Corps and he made his exit!!! I think Graves is just as guilty as whiz! Graves is the one in my opinion who lied to Q about his extention in the first place!!!!!!!!!

87. By Darren Urban on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

Bluepitt —

RE: Warner

I know you aren’t a fan of the coach. But I call bull on the idea the reason Warner retired. He didn’t retire because Boldin was traded (and in fact, his trade was still six weeks away when Warner made his decision). His reasons were personal/family related, and other than the punishment he was taking by playing, had actually little to do with football.

88. By bluepitt on Jan 27, 2011 | Reply

You may be 100% on the $. But the boldin talk came out prior to Warner’s retirement from some really reliable people. I feel it was part of the factor. And understand I am just super pissed, at Wiz. he proved he was a sound coach taking denny’s talent and doing what he did. But denny’s talent is all but gone and we suck once more!!!! I feel it is in part Whiz’s and Graves fault. I heard all this CORE PLAYER crap and then the CORE WAS GONE!!!! and GONE due to the Cards not wanting to pony up the “Q”uan!!! lol I know I have given you a beating over Leinfart and Coach, But I had NUTN to look forward to this season! And it just sucks! I enjoyed looking up cards info and stats. But not this season I spent most of my time pissn & moaning on here.lol
    and like an A$$ I watched every game till the last whistle, talk about a glutn for punishment well that’s me…Take care Darren

2. Jan 20, 2011: Tweets that mention Word From the Birds Blog -- Topsy.com