• Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 8:00AM - 2:00PM MST Cardinals Charities Golf Tournament Cardinals Charities Golf Tournament at Whirlwind Golf Club (5692 W North Loop Rd, Chandler, AZ 85226).
  • Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 5:00PM - 5:15PM MST 2014 NFL schedule released The 2014 NFL schedule is released. Check out all the details on azcardinals.com.
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

The Cutler controversy

Posted by Darren Urban on January 24, 2011 – 4:01 pm

I can’t lie – I was one of those who saw Jay Cutler on the sideline Sunday and had LaDainian-Tomlinson-versus-the-Patriots flash through my mind. Ultimately, I didn’t think too much about it, though, because like the Tomlinson situation, it was impossible to know whether the player really had a choice in the matter.

But it certainly stokes the debate about this game, doesn’t it? It definitely made me think of the situation from a lot of different angles.

– Was I surprised there were a bunch of players who basically tweeted out (or said on TV) that Cutler should have kept playing? Maybe a little. Know this: Such raised eyebrows happen inside locker rooms from time to time. It’s just that usually, no one says anything publicly. This time it was different, from Maurice Jones-Drew to Darnell Dockett to a handful of other players, past and present. (Dockett tweeted that he’d want Cutler to wait for he and his teammates to clear out of the locker room before showing up given the situation, and then later said he was just trying to say “I would of (sic) went back in the game!”)

– Generally, players aren’t thrilled when they are criticized by the media. Many deal with it. They know it’s part of the deal. But I couldn’t help but wonder, had the roles been reversed, how they would have handled someone saying the same thing about them. I figure they’d probably say that’s the whole point – the same thing wouldn’t have happened to them. But that makes for an intriguing perspective.

– Many people have made the point Cutler – in this circumstance – may be a victim of his own personality. Over the years, he hasn’t exactly endeared himself to media, fans or players. Does that make him a bad person? I have no idea. But perception means a lot. And I agree that who Cutler is (or who he is believed to be) fed into the criticism. If it was Kurt Warner to which this happened, no way it blows up like this.

– It’s also fascinating to break down what this is about (besides the injury, of course). Is it about toughness? Is it about love of the game? Can you separate the two?

– I’m trying to think of the most memorable games I’ve seen (in person) of players dealing with a significant injury. I remember Donovan McNabb throwing four TD passes against the Cards in 2002 on what was later discovered to be a broken ankle suffered the third play of the game.

– The thing is, I don’t think it mattered. I think the Bears lose anyway. I think the last Chicago TD drive came in part because the Packers’ defense lost a little focus up 14 points against the third-string QB. I could be off base, but if Cutler had stayed in, I think the Packers stay after him.

Regardless, it’s certainly been the most discussed topic in the NFL today.

Tags: ,

54 Responses to “The Cutler controversy”

1. By Paul H on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

The thing about Cutler that offended me was when they panned the sideline and the 3rd string QB was flipping through the GB defense photos and Cutler didn’t appear to be offering the kid any help. He appeared aloof after his injury.

2. By jocards on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

I think the fact that many Bears teammates came to Cutler’s defense says a lot about the situation. I totally agree with the notion that Cutler’s personality or the perception of him comes into play. I really don’t see how Dockett or anybody else can claim they’d have been back in there…they were not the one with the injury/pain, how do they know how it felt or more importantly effected his play? Folks that are saying Cutler looked like he didn’t care on the sideline should know that you can’t judge how much somebody cares just by looking at them, it is ridiculous to think you can. I know some will jump all over me saying, “You can just tell Cutler doesn’t give a bleep by his demeanor on the sideline”. I don’t buy that for a second. Anybody that honestly believes they can absolutely tell what is going on in someone’s head just by looking at them is a bit scary to me.

3. By Pat on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

Supposedly today it is a sprained mcl. Would love to see the MRI report. This will not require surgery and is a nice cover up for them.

4. By Doug on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

Hanie told reporters that Cutler was helping him the entire time and that he even had a headset on to be part of the conversations. TV is funny like that. Or maybe Hanie was lying and it’s all a conspiracy like I’m forced to listen to allllllll day since I live in Chicago. Also, did anyone else find it strange that MJD called out Cutler after he himself sat out the last two weeks of the regular season? JAX was 8-6 with two game left. Lost in OT to WASH and then lost to HOU who they beat earlier in the year. And I’m a fan of MJD.

5. By Mark on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

Phillip Rivers during that playoff game with a knee injury comes to mind of a player toughing it out trying to win.

6. By 98CardsFan on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

so does that mean he can be had for a pick? i think they might go with caleb hanie next year. as far as toughness, other than this season he hasnt missed a game to injury and being sacked as often as he has been it looked like it wasnt his choice to sit out. not everyone is kurt and there have been plenty of games (granted not as grand as this one) where players wont play through it. i dont know if thats strategic timeouts, if theyre out of the game a reason for them to say “well had i not been injured”. whatever, all i care about is this team and my feeling is if our options are limited he by far would be a major improvement over what we have. besides, he’s used to getting no protection and being booed but if that gets us to the playoffs again so be it

7. By Khardz on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

Kid ain’t tough.

8. By 98CardsFan on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

oh, ps, im pretty sure he’s not gonna go the “i put my heart and soul into this @#$%” route.

9. By Alberto Sordi on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

I wanted the Cards to draft Cutler instead of Matt. He has all the physical tools but his personality issues hurt him here in Chicago and nationwide. This year he took a pounding and kept on playing. That should show how tough he is.

10. By D on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

For Cutler’s sake and his future in Chicago, and probably the NFL, he better have a MCL injury or he will never live this down…
    (Dockett and Rhodes shouldn’t have tweeted that…they don’t like getting critized by the media or peers either..) even if Cutler is not a liked player. They may look like fools if he is really hurt.

11. By TBru on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

From a man on the street perspective the people in Chicago are rounding up their torches and pitchforks. People here at big time mad at him.

12. By georgiebird on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

I can’t believe you picked the topic of Jake Cutler and “was he or wasn’t he”.
    On this site, many of us call a lot of things into question and you always take the high road concerning the professionalism of Cardinals’ players and coaches. Would you question a Cardinals’ players guts to play thru injury say like a Beanie, Doucet or Ben Patrick.
    Now since I’m a negative and cynical fan, it would be in my mind set to question Jake Cutler’s moxie. But I’m appalled to think that you, Darren, could venture over to the “dark side”- even if it’s for just a moment.

13. By Big Red Fan on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

Don’t forget Cutler suffers from dibaetes. Who is to say the mans sugars were possibly way out of whack after the injury, hence the ‘complacent’ look????

14. By Scott H on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

I heard it reported today out of Chicago that Cutler has a TORN MCL. I can only react based on what I THINK I know right now…and that might not be the real story. IF that is the case, I think the Bears handled this poorly. After Cutler was injured, wasn’t he riding the stationary bike on the sidelines trying to warm up???? With a TORN MCL??? WTF??? Shouldn’t he have been taken to the locker room for x-rays, MRI, whatever??? If the Bears do that and they find a torn MCL, Cutler probably comes back out in street clothes, maybe on crutches, obviuosly done for the day with a no-doubt-about-it injury. But none of that happened. Instead, he comes back out in full uniform, has a parka on, and is sitting on the bench. Yeah, his demeanor and body language didn’t do him any favors, but…the fact that he came back out IN UNIFORM but was sitting on the bench looking mentally and physically beaten down while the back-up QB is getting ready really painted him a negative light. And maybe that is more the fault of the Bears than that of Jay Cutler. Who knows…maybe there is more that we’ll know in the coming days. The injury to Pouncey during the other game was no different EXCEPT in the way it was handled. He was carted off the field, received the proper exam in the locker room, and he came back out in street clothes. And there was NO issue with that situation at all. Again, maybe the Bears really handled this poorly and it’s Cutler who is paying for it. If so, that is a shame for him.

Regardless, it’s a shame for the Bears. To get all the way to that game just to have your QB blow up just really sucks. Their defense and special teams were keeping them in the game, too. But there ain’t no defense anywhere that can overcome Todd Collins…god, he is awful. I swear, if I hear that the Cardinals are looking at him this off-season…oh, it’s gonna’ be on!

15. By wayne on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

First of all I am not a Jay Cutler fan, but I would never talk about someone till the truth was out and we may never know. Cutler has never shown emotion win or lose and I have a friend that’s the same way, I have known him for 20+ years and still cant figure him out. There is no way that all the players should be talkin sh!!t about him but that is the way most people are. There are some that can play through injury and some that cant (turf toe, mcl, acl) I know for a fact because I watched Cutler play that he is tough from all the hits he takes and gets right up and goes back , I read the Bears players are backing him so to me I dont care what others are saying (Sanders, Dockett, Drew).
    In my opinion they all would still be tweeting even if Cutlers bone was sticking out of his leg.

16. By Pheenic Cromartie on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

If it’s an MCL tear, then I can understand why he’d stay out of the game.

If there was nothing wrong, then I want to know if it was him or his Coaches that kept him out of the game.

17. By allan on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

I would say personally that I have had a sprained knee before and it’s very painful and if you don’t stay limber it stiffens up to the point that you can’t bend it.
    I would imagine that the colder it got the stiffer it got. Probably what happened is he went in at halftime and it locked up or stiffened up on him. He probably tried to loosen it up on the bike but it was too far gone/stiff.
    Your mobility would be very limited. If you have never had the injury before it 20 times worse than a sprained ankle.

18. By Gang6230 on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

The guy simply gave up. He was taking a beating and going nowhere. He quit.

19. By McNab's future on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

Speaking in toughness:
    The cards need toughness for the upcoming season. They need mental and physical toughess makeover. Not just the roster of 53, the coaching staff need to be tough. I like the way how the Steelers’s coach approach his players when they make mistakes. I also like they way he communicates with his players with his emotions. I love coach Wiz’s postgame conference speech, but he seems too, SOFT with his players. Fotball is a game that requires a mental and physical toughness. If a team doesn’t come with these items, game is over before it starts. FOR THE 2011 FOTTBALL SEASON, MENTAL AND PHYSICAL TOUGHNESS ARE NEEDED TO SURVIVE.

20. By brad oneill on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

Cutler probably did the right thing. i remember a few years ago kurt was playing with what looked like concussion symptoms and the coach never pulled him out. injuries effect different people different ways. Some people focus harder and become unstoppable (michael jordan playing through a bad flu comes to mind here) Some become hesitant and hurt their teams. (warmer although not timid definitely had an extra second or two missing from his internal clock) and some just gut there way through it (favre on numerous occasions this past season)

if cutler judged that he could not be effective he did the right thing regardless of how much of a wuss he ended up looking like.

the thing that is going to hurt or possibly help the most is all the players calling him out. he will either let this incident burn a little extra hate into his games against dockett and the others or he will lose his locker room.

I will say this without a doubt brian Urlacher coming to his defense made me think that brian is a guy anyone would want to have on their side.

21. By Logan Cooper on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

The lack of involvement in helping out the other QB’s is what surprised me. Maybe it shows his passion for the game; meaning he was so upset about not going in he wasn’t in the right mental state to even offer any help?

I am not a fan of cutler by any means, but I have seen that guy get his trash kicked all year from the lack of protection and still go in the game and put forth effort play after play.

So he does that all season and in the NFC championship game he decides to sit it out? For those thinking he faked it, that deserves an Ocho Cinco “CHILD PLEASE and a Deion Sanders “HOLD ON PLAYA”!

22. By Doug on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

Apparently Brian Urlacher is not a big Kerry Rhodes fan.

“I don’t give a (expletive) about players around the league sitting, watching our game at home,” Urlacher snapped. What players? Did they put their names on it?”

Kerry Rhodes, someone said.

“Who’s he?”

“Let them sprain their MCL or do whatever he did to his knee and then get back in the game. See if they can do that. See how well they run the ball, or whoever the other guy is, see how well he does at whatever position he plays. I don’t agree with it. It’s easy to write that stuff on the Internet.”

23. By AndyStandsUp on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

It’s ALL about perception. If Anquan Boldin and Beanie Wells both said they were hurt during a game, which player would most fans (and scribes) believe?
    Unless it was a hamstring injury during minicamp, while looking for a new contract, of course.

24. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

Darren, i might of asked this before, but if i am correct DRC has 3 years left on his contrct, do you think he will be resigned? if he keeps his work up and keeps progressing?

25. By Marcus on Jan 24, 2011 | Reply

for MJD to critized jay cutler is beyond hypocritical. when the Jags needed their star player to advance to the playoffs for 3 games…. where was he? not even suiting up sitting his small arse on the sideline. anyone especially a fan to rip cutler is lacking in perspective and good judgement from a far. he had a sprain/torn MCL. he has diabetes. he has been behind the worse o-line for 2 years with no WR’s and a TE that Mike Martz forgets in his offense. we question his toughness when the doctor’s pulled him and once haine came in, he couldnt have come in anyway. its dumb for ppl to say “oh well he should have fought the training staff to show us he wanted to stay in the game” as if he owes us explanation. what does it matter if pulls a jason witten? does mean anything to me, he was ruled out. throwing a fit isnt going to change it. a franchise QB doesnt throw fits. this is a none story to me.

26. By Daniel Christensen on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

I think that cutler was faking, if his leg hurt so much as i did he wouldn’t be standing up

27. By Eazy E on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

It was a tear in Cutler’s MCL. C’mon he couldn’t play well with that type of injury. How could he move, green bay was coming after him and his offensive line isn’t any good. He got sacked 57 times this year, let me repeat that, HE GOT SACKED 57 TIMES THIS YEAR and more including the hits. Cutler is a tough SOB, The giants game, where he got sacked 9 TIMES IN THE FIRST HALF and suffered a concussion was his first missed game in the NFL and overall football career including high school, college at vanderbilt, and with denver and chicago. Dockett and the other players were definitely in the wrong. He came out in the first series in the 2nd half and on a 3rd and 4, the ball came up just short to hester, he had to throw off his back foot and couldn’t get it there. The guy was hurt, PERIOD!!!

28. By Eazy E on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

The next game against carolina was his first missed game EVER!!!! He left the giants game with a concussion and obviously didn’t return.

29. By Darrel on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

Darren do you remeber shockey limping to the inzone and catching a td On adub in The playoffs.I think he finshed the game can you confrim this ?

30. By UC on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

Cutler got pummeled by defenses during the first half of the season, and kept right on playing. It makes no sense that he would have played through that during the regular season, only to check out when he had a chance to win the NFC championship. The main thing I got from his sideline demeanor was that he was upset.

31. By John on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

Funny about the MJD thing, seeing as on of the main reasons the Jags lost their playoff hopes during the stretch was because he sat out.

32. By jocards on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

So what exactly is being suggested here? Is it that an NFL QB, one game from the Super Bowl begged out of the game with a fake injury or something? Or is it just that he isn’t tough enough? If Cutler couldn’t plant and push off to throw the football he should’ve stayed in the game just to live up to the “tough guy” image? What if given the injury he and/or the coaching staff didn’t feel he gave the Bears the best chance to win? Still should’ve stayed in the game? Folks need to keep in mind that it’s so easy for a Darnell Dockett or any other player to say they’d have been back out there…the injury wasn’t theirs. Anybody can say that, it means nothing.

33. By Jeff Gollin on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

There are two distinct issues here:

(1) The facts (How badly was Cutler injured? Could he have become more seriously injured had he continued to play)?

(2) The “passion” (A surprisingly large number of respected NFL players and former-players seemed to be more than willing to throw Cutller under the bus. Did they know something about the lack of severity and potential long-term impact of the injury that the rest of us didn’t?

Here’s where I come down – If continuing to play would pose a risk of any kind to Cutler’s future career, don’t play him. If he and the coaching staff felt that the injury would prevent him from executing well enough to be effective, then sit him. But (using Bill Parcells’ terminology) if he was “hurt” rather than”injured”, then perhaps he should have gutted out.

Reports suggest a ligament-tear. We can only guess – If reports are true, he’ have to “play injured” (not a great idea, considering his football and financial future).

34. By aaaaudio on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

Nothing else to talk about at this point in the season, so ya… It is all about Cutler… Not real excited to see the Steelers AGAIN in the SB or the Packers… How is it the same franchises manage to make it to the playoffs year after year and the others just do not?

35. By Cardiaccard420 on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

GO BIG RED!

36. By Voice of Reason on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

Cutler is aloof. Read the espn article about him.

Lots of skills; wouldn’t want him on my team.

37. By Darren Urban on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

Georgie –

RE: Cutler blog

Did you even read what I wrote?

38. By Darren Urban on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

RodgerCro —

RE: DRC extension

Three years is an eternity in this league. Way too early to know. Obviously if he improves, I am sure they’d want him. But he took a step backward this season.

39. By Darren Urban on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

Darrel –

RE: Shockey

I don’t remember that injury, to be honest.

40. By KyCardsfan on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

Darren, any chance we go after Todd Collins this offseason? He looked pretty good Sunday! Bahhahahahaha!!!

41. By brad oneill on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

it was obvious cutler was not effective in the game. my guess is the injury was a large part of the reason why and he knew it. he had the sense to bow out and give his team a chance to win rather than to selfishly try and grab all the glory.

this league is brutal vince young is villafied for throwing a fit on the sidelines when he is pulled out. and cutler is villafied for not throwing a fit when he is pulled out.

42. By jocards on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

brad oneill -

True!…..an extreme example but still so true!

43. By georgiebird on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

I read your comments:
    1) you brought up the topic of Cutler ” saw Cutler on the sideline and had a …..flash……”
    2) throughout the article you sort of straddled the fence and I felt you came down on both sides of the fence.

I especially didn’t like other players chiming in- they are all crybabies especially when dealing with their own injuries unless it’s contract time- not to mention constantly moaning about the contracts they signed- e.g. Anquan Boldin-that’s why I’m glad he dropped the pass..

Darren if you didn’t mean to plant the seed and run with it- then you have my apology.

44. By Darren Urban on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

Georgie –

RE: Seed

I certainly meant for it to be a talking point, generate some comments. Nothing else is going on around here right now.

And I did try to straddle the fence. I can see both sides of the argument. I guess I took exception to the idea you put forth that I should never do that. Honestly, I can’t think of a case recently where injuries have been questioned over the guys here. Obviously the Beanie knee thing began to raise eyebrows — but then it was found he had surgery. And, obviously, I tend to hear/know more internally here than, say, Chicago. (Plus Cutler’s persona overall contributed to this blog/situation. When you have players that “involved” in commenting, it’s different than normal.)

45. By B. Booey on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

I know in past years I have seen Wolfley or someone else giving a season grade-card out. The one I remember seeing a couple years ago included letter grades for all the units (DBs, o-line, d-line, QBs, coaches, etc.). I’m curious to know where some of the experts believe the main issues with the Cardinals lie and how those issues can be fixed. It’s easy for someone to say “The whole team sucks”, but the reality is that there are only a handful of areas that the coach and front office can really focus on to improve this team quickly.

Is there anything like this that has been published, or any plans to discuss this type of thing in future articles, videos, or podcasts?

46. By Darren Urban on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

B Booey –

RE: “grades”

I haven’t seen anything like that. As for a position-by-position breakdown or the main issues, that’s something that’s been talked about in various forms. Has it been in one concise story? Perhaps not. Maybe that’s a story idea I can look at in the next couple of weeks.

47. By brad oneill on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

regarding grades for the cardinals situation,

Dear Parent,

due to numerous issues regarding your child’s competency in the basic skills needed to succeed at this level. i believe it may be in your child’s best interest to repeat the 2010 season. I do not recommend this step lightly as it can be very tramatic to the team but after assessing all aspects of your teams development and discussing his various issues with people far more qualified than myself i cannot in good conscience allow him to pass on to the 2012 season. Unfortunately there is a labor dispute that may prevent teachers from being available to the parents for discussion on such matters. i recommend working very hard over the summer on a few remedial skills like running on third down and making stops at the line of scrimmage. i know your team has gotten a safety award this year, but honestly that award was more for his work last year. He has regressed quite a bit in his ability to stop tight ends from catching over the middle and this has led to some costly accidents.

48. By Joe-B on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

The guy plays with Type 1 Diabetes, he plays behind a horrible Offensive Line and takes a ton of sacks/hits because of it. And a torn MCL is a pretty serious injury. I have no questions about his toughness, as for his personality I don’t care how he acts, I only care about the record the team has with whoever the QB was, and they made the NFC Championship game with him.

I think that it would have been dumb for him to go back into the game (which he did, because they did not want him to go back in at the start of the 3rd quarter, but he wanted to try to play), and if he did play through the entire game people would probably call him selfish and say that he could have made it worse.

49. By Peter in Canada on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Eazy. I saw that third down pass and his leg didn’t hold him and the easy throw was way short. Either Cutler or the coaches did the right thing getting him out. Cutler would have given the Bears no chance to win and they were only down 14-0 at the time. Somebody mentions Favre. He is a me-first selfish guy who puts his own macho tough image ahead of the team. It’s one thing to play through pain, that’s being tough. To play with markedly restricted abilities hurts the team and is selfish or stupid. How anyone can question Cutler’s motives from the comfort of an arm chair is beyond me. ‘

50. By jocards on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

@ brad oneill -

Re: Grades

Nice! You’re on a roll today but please do not recommend the team repeat the 2010 season. That would be too painful for everybody concerned!

51. By Scott H on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

Whatever people come to think / think already about Cutler, this situation proves beyond a doubt that modern technology is a dangerous thing in the hands of the wrong people! Specifically, the people who were tweeting without really knowing what was going on! I really can’t believe what so many other NFL players were saying in their tweets – including our own DD, I’m sorry to say. I mean, at the time they were tweeting – which was during the actual game – how did they know that the Bears’ coaches may have made the decision that Cutler was coming out of the game??? How did they know that there wasn’t a team doctor making the MEDICAL decision that Cutler couldn’t play with his injury??? And there they all were, talking tough about how he would be treated if he were THEIR teammate…I’m not into this tweeting crap at all, and stuff like this makes me proud to say so.

Jay Cutler is, unfortunately, a guy who is not especially well liked by teammates and brings a bit of a negative impression upon himself with his aloof demeanor. But none of that should be a factor in judging him here. Apparently, he is / was legitimately hurt during the game. Maybe he’s not a guy who teammates will run into a burning building for…but he’s also a guy who the Bears were NOT going to an NFC title game without! Todd Collins sure as hell wasn’t taking them there, was he???

52. By jpautz on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

If your hurt, I get that. But you can’t get up and support the guy coming in behind you?! No emmotional support whatsoever. Like, “hey Todd, watch out for this or try this beause their tendency is this”…. He sat there like a bump on a log. It is all over the tape and he did nothing to support his fellow teammates. Poor me, woe is me. All the talent in the world. All this coming from a Cardinal/chicago fan in Chicago. I watched Arizona QB’s stink up the joint all season long…but all had heart to show passion and support to the next guy in line. Respectfully, Chicago Cardinal fan.

53. By jocards on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

I really would like to know what some of the Jacksonville fans think of MJD’s comment about Cutler. As I recall he missed time down the stretch when his team was fighting for a post season berth. Wow! In his tweet he said something to the effect of he’d played the entire season on a bad knee…uhhh, not quite the entire season.

54. By Scott H on Jan 27, 2011 | Reply

jpautz -

I agree. That’s why Cutler hasn’t been a popular guy in the places where he’s been. The demeanor part of this whole issue is something he brings upon himself. Hey, that’s who he is. But – like all QB’s – he will ultimately be judged by winning and losing. If he is able to win a Super Bowl or two during his career…that will trump any negatives that come into the discussion. Honestly, though,I don’t see it happening. Despite considerable talent, I don’t think he’s a winner.