Pictures worth 1,000 words

Posted by Darren Urban on January 25, 2011 – 3:25 pm

Not going to lie — with players scattered and coaches in Alabama, there’s not a whole lot to write about right now. Thanks to Twitter, we know Larry Fitzgerald and Darnell Dockett flew out to the Pro Bowl today (and I am assuming Adrian Wilson did too). News on the defensive coordinator is unlikely, because as has been noted a couple of times, waiting for the Steelers to finish their season is probably part of the equation.

If there is enough interest, maybe I can do another live chat later this week.

So I leave you with this: Before this postseason, the Cardinals were the last team each of the current Super Bowl participants played in the playoffs. Perhaps you remember the games?

Tags: , , , , ,

57 Responses to “Pictures worth 1,000 words”

1. By Jared on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

That Fitz picture is like a punch in the gut… so close!

2. By scoots on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

I would bet you get hounded with the same questions you did last week since not much has changed since (regarding a live chat). Also when do we find out about the compensatory picks? Will we be eligible for one because of Dansby or does Lenon negate that?

3. By FAs on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

I know this is way ahead of schedule and you probably wont have an answer but thought I would ask still. Since Whiz has come in we havent really gone after high end free agents. Overall I agree that is a good idea. With so many gapping holes (T, OLB, QB) do you think they really go after a few? Names like Woodley, Bushod, Lawson (not high end but quality?), Bulger, Wimbley, Gaither, Zach / Heath Miller are names that pop out. I realize we need a new CBA but imaging that was taken care of?

4. By Darren Urban on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

Scoots –

RE: Compensatory

Those are announced at the owners meetings in late March. And yes, Lenon might offset Dansby.

5. By Levi Brown on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

Your thoughts on moving him to LG or back to RT?

6. By Darren Urban on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

FAs–

RE: Free agents

I would argue Woodley is high-end (not that they won’t look at him). I don’t know what the philosophy will be. Some of it depends on the CBA I would think – its structure, not when it gets done.

7. By Scoots on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

I would agree regarding what you said with Woodley. He is close and IF he leaves Pittsburg it will be interesting to see if he flourishes out of the shadow of Harrison or if he needed it to succeed

8. By Darren Urban on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

Scoots –

RE: Woodley

Reports are that the Steelers want him back and probably would have signed him by now if it wasn’t for contract restrictions that make it hard to give a guy big yearly raises.

9. By Darren Urban on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

Levi —

RE: Moving

I don’t think he will be moved, but I suppose it depends on who they might acquire.

10. By mike hadzinski on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

Fitz you dummy fall down at the 2 drain clock kick field goal we win and im sure no cards fan can care less their entire life if we win another game.

11. By adam on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

Darren-

Do you get updates from the Senior Bowl? I saw Whiz talking to Von Miller for awhile after practice this afternoon. I’ve seen him going as high as #3 or as low as outside the Top 10. Do you know much about him? I think he’d look pretty good at OLB next year. The guy just knows how to get to the QB.Any other early rumblings from Mobile?

12. By Darrel on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

I think breaston will be a lion next year … I’m Ok with that long as we pick someone else up this year and make our 2012 draft pick justin blakmon I call him baby q I know its looking ahead that’s how you gota plan.

13. By R Robles on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

1st Picture means Green Bay cannot beat the Cardinals in the playoffs & the 2nd picture means hope knowing we can make it back there we were only a couple games away from NFC West crown & playoff brith so its very possible & no one gave us a chance but Rod Woodson What im wondering is why did Chris Collingsworthless say we were the worst playoff team in history when honestly regardless who would win the West this season should have had that title but I think were hated bad & I dont know why. Thanks Darren for posting I always look forward to any post its my routine are you going to the Pro Bowl?

14. By Chris on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

Levi NEEDS to be “moved” somewhere.

15. By Scott McDonald on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

Speaking of free agents, LB David Harris and TE Zach Miller seem like solid young players who would fill needs for the Cardinals, but would demand large contracts. Do you see the Cardinals spending money on these players or players like them once a CBA is set?

16. By Code on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

Hi Darren,

What do you think about incorporating the TE more in the passing game? Granted the Cardinals don’t have much depth in the position; TE is often viewed as a quarterbacks ‘safety valve’ or ‘best friend.’ Do you believe we should take that into consideration next season?

Another concern I have is: do you think the Cardinals organization has a good understanding of the disappointment the fans will have if the Cards don’t draft QB? Why has the Cards philosophy always been to go after free agents that are often old and past their prime? I think it would be to big of a gamble to bring in someone like Marc Bulger and I believe ‘wishful thinking’ was the fault in our past season.

Draft someone like Blaine Gabbert out of Mizzou and hope for the best. I mean that in its self is wishful thinking but I think it would be a lot better to attend to a Rookie QB rather than someone who might not be there for the Cardinals in years to come (Bulger). Granted Bulger is what? 34? And still has a few years left in the tank I think the front office needs to focus on the future rather than what will work in the present.

17. By ross on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

Darren, do you expect TH to get signed before the lockout even if its just a tender, or does that have to wait? Thanks.

18. By Blair on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

wow more 2008 stuff. lets all give our selfs a pat on the back.

19. By Ronald on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

Darren, Thanks for all you do and responsing back with our questions.

20. By cards>niners on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

sure, great game, just the mention of which makes me feel like i got ice picked.

21. By AndyStandsUp on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

Would love to see and participate in another live chat, but any chance Calvisi or Wolfley could be the moderator?

22. By D on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

Let’s talk Free Agents, since we all know a deal will get done…I think if this guy is healthy, the Cards should keep their eye on Jared Gaither….if healthy he would be a better Tackle than any 2 or 3rd round pick…and he is a UFA…
    sounds like the Ravens have given up on him…

23. By D on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

Another Free agent to watch for is Shaun Ellis. If Watson is not brought back and Robinson retires, he would provide experience and depth along the Def line along hopefully with Branch. Ellis is way down on the priorities of the Jets.

24. By D on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

3rd Free agent name to watch out for, again if healthy, would be Kevin Boss TE…I doubt if all the Cards TE from this past year will be brought back…he would be an upgrade and you know how important this position is to Coach Whiz

25. By Darren Urban on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

Mike Hadzinski –

RE: Super Bowl

Cards were down 20-16 when Fitz scored his touchdown.

26. By Darren Urban on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

Adam –

RE: Senior Bowl/Von Miller/interviews

No one should get jacked up about a Cardinals interview with any one particular player. The Cards, between Mobile, the combine and on-campus workouts, will interview almost all the top 30 players, some multiple times. Is Miller possible? Sure. But don’t read into it too much.

27. By Darren Urban on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

R Robles –

RE: Pro Bowl attendance

I am not going. I will be at the combine.

28. By Darren Urban on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

Scott McDonald –

RE: Spending

Do I think they will spend more than they did this past season? Right now, I believe yes. But how that manifests itself in the FA market, I’m not sure.

29. By Darren Urban on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

Code –

RE: QB/TE

As for tight end, I think they should work in the TE more — as long as they have the talent that works in that regard. I think right now, they don’t have that player.

As for QB, I don’t think every fan definitely thinks the team should draft a QB, so I’d be careful of blanket statements. If they draft a QB in the fourth round, does that work? You sound like you meant to say draft one in the first round. If this team doesn’t believe, for example, Gabbert will turn into a good QB, I disagree with taking him and “hoping for the best.” They have to pick the players they think will succeed — because fans will certainly not say, in four years, “Oh, we wanted Gabbert and he was a bust, our bad.” No, they will blame the team.

30. By Darren Urban on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

Ross –

RE: Hightower

I expect that to come after the CBA resolution.

31. By Darren Urban on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Chat person

I could see if I could get Wolf. Let me look into that.

32. By Steve on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

Darren: In your opinion If there is not a new CBA finalized by March 2 and the draft rolls around without Free-Agency, might the Cards feel a sense of urgency to get a QB higher in the draft than previously planned? I mean they wont have a free agent QB on board at that point.

33. By Darrel on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

Wasn’t for this …..but I would look into antonio cromartie. And move toler to nickel and move mike adams in dime package. Toler can tackle. And has speed thats what u need in a nickel package

34. By Big Red on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

The Photos smile now, cry later… but times I would never change ever. Thanks Darren

35. By adam on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

Darren-

I definitely understand that a random conversation with a player doesn’t mean that’s who they’re drafting. I was more interested to see if you had any info on some of the guys that Whiz and the gang might be looking at. Not necessarily even with the 5th pick (most of the top 10 will likely be underclassmen anyway), but maybe later round guys that their scouts may like? If they don’t go QB with #5, are there other guys that you’ve heard that they like?

36. By Javier Montoya on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

WE GOTTA GET BACK!!!!!

37. By tyman on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

We need a QB, lots of fans talk about lb’s and d-line. I think first off we need to find the best most proven QB and let some young players have a chance at starting on D. Paris Lenon did all right for us, but give him some compition. Id say just by watching at home that he seemed to be to slow for the middle but hes all we had. I think a defensive mind in charge and scheme will do wonders for our team. How many points did our D score this year? Id say for all the negitive comments about it, we need to prase some of those games. We just need to switch things up. I think how to get a pass rush is our biggest question and I think we have the players.

38. By Ralph Lopez on Jan 25, 2011 | Reply

Ahh! The Fitzgerald pic…talk about the happiest and saddest 2min & 30sec of my life!

LOL @ Mike Hadzinski’s post…Really? fall down at the 1yd line??probably the last thing Fitzgerald was thinking at that moment. Nobody is coached to not score a touchdown!

39. By NJAzCardsFan on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

Comartie (Jets) is scheduled to be a FA. Do you see the Cards going after him?

40. By Brandon LA on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

interest in live chat… indeed. Hopefully chat about signing Fitz and Breaston. Also Defensive outlooks for 2011

41. By TARL SAMPSON on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

Darren:

Thanks for all the hard work, do you think you could do your own mock draft in one of your blogs, and give some insight to some of the players YOU think we need. I know its hard to judge such things, but we as fans love every tidbit of cards talk you can throw at us. I check almost daily for some type of talk regarding the cards. The only good news right now is talk of hope and what is to come. Thanks!!

42. By TSHIF on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

To all cardinals fans who think we NEED to draft a qb in the first round you are out of your mind. If you want to deal with another 5-11 or 4-12 season then yes draft the rookie qb. Very rare occasion come that have good first round qbs selected in top 5. We need to sign a veteran and groom and polish the young qb we already have in skelton. He has an nfl arm and poise in the pocket. The details can be worked on. With the pick coming up in the draft we need to think about an old pass rusher would can get to the qb and apply pressure. @robert quinn @dequan bower(if he luckily falls to us) some one to help our d. Offense doesn’t win championships defense does look at the steelers and how many they have. So get the thoughts out that we are drafting qb its not gonna happen.

Daren your thoughts please?

43. By formerAZresident on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

Darren if the cards do draft a quaterback how much money would they give him? Because I wonder if it would cost more to draft than to get one in FA?

44. By Darren Urban on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

Steve –

RE: No CBA/QB

Teams that don’t take a big picture view of this offseason will hurt themselves in the long run. If you don’t feel there is a QB worthy of No. 5 — at least, in terms of passing on an extreme talent at another position — you can’t take him, even if free agency is significantly delayed.

45. By Darren Urban on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

Adam –

RE: Looking at players

Not yet. Too early. And to be honest, they are very vague with that info anyway. You think they want me writing about a guy they are hoping to target in say, the third round? Someone else might jump up to take him away.

46. By Darren Urban on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

NJAzCards –

RE: Cromartie

So hard to know what will happen. I need more FA details first — like what the new CBA looks like.

47. By Darren Urban on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

TSHIF –

RE: QB

I think that even if the Cards select a QB early in the draft, they will sign a veteran to start in 2011.

48. By Darren Urban on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

formerAz –

RE: Cost of a drafted QB

It isn’t going to cost significantly more to pay a rookie QB than it would any other player drafted in the same position. So it’s a moot point.

49. By Mike on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

Any truth to the rumors that Peyton Manning met with Cardinals at a restaurant in the valley this weekend? Like a hush hush meeting.

50. By Darren Urban on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

Mike –

RE: Manning

Seeing that it would be tampering, I’d guess no.

51. By Voice of Reason on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

The whole notion of “compensatory selections” is just ridiculous. While Paris Lenon had a nice year, nobody could mistake him for Karlos Dansby. We also lost Antrel Rolle, who signed a mega deal. Replaced him with Rhodes via trade. Do trades count toward this?

All ridiculous, in my mind — no team should ever be awarded compensatory picks.

52. By Darren Urban on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

Voice –

RE: Compensatory

Trades don’t count. And Rolle didn’t leave as a free agent — he was cut. So he won’t count either. You’ll be balancing, basically, Dansby and Rackers vs. Hadnot, Lenon, Feely.

53. By Peter in Canada on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

Darren –

I read Pro Bowl Diary article and I think you really missed the boat. The talent there looks far better than what will be at the combine.

54. By Walter L on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

This is completely off the topic here, but I just read your story about Larry sending that couple to the Pro Bowl on his dime, and I wanted to thank you for keeping us fans updated on all the awesome stuff he does for the fans and the community. I am so proud of the fact that we can all say that we have a player like that on our football team (and is committed to this franchise), and I’m extremely lucky to say he’s a Cardinal. God bless Larry, thanks for all that you do.

55. By Cert 33 on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

Fitzgerald is a class act. Some years there simply is not an NFL caliber starting QB coming out of the college ranks, only long term “projects”. 2007 is a good example and I think the coming draft is another. Use the picks for defensive players that don’t choke in the 4th quarter.

56. By Scott H on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

The pics bring back great memories of THE highpoint of my 35-plus years as a fan of this team. There was nothing like the playoff run in 2008, seeing the Cardinals move on from one week to the next. and being at the center of the sports universe during those glorious two weeks leading up to the Super Bowl. Sadly, though, it can’t help but underscore the obvious – how much Kurt Warner meant to this team when he was here. And how far we fell when he was gone. Bittersweet is truly the word. But I am grateful for the ride we had.

57. By Greg on Jan 29, 2011 | Reply

I love the desperate look on Fitgeralds face thats the best look ever pure emotion i really hope he stays in AZ i dont think he belongs anywhere else