Bowles latest name in DC search

Posted by Darren Urban on January 26, 2011 – 9:09 am

The National Football Post reported that coach Ken Whisenhunt interviewed Dolphins assistant head coach/secondary coach Todd Bowles for the vacant defensive coordinator job while both are in Mobile, Ala., for the Senior Bowl. Bowles has a history with Whisenhunt — they were teammates on the Redskins in 1989 and 1990. Bowles was a defensive back for eight seasons in the league. He was also part of Bill Parcells’ staff in Dallas (and Whisenhunt has Parcells’ ties from his time coaching the Jets; remember coaches from his initial staff — like Todd Haley and Maurice Carthon — are from the Parcells’ tree and coached with Bowles in Dallas. Bowles was also on the Jets’ staff with Whisenhunt).

All that said (and even though the report lists Bowles as “an extremely strong candidate” for Arizona), I don’t believe anything has significantly changed. Whisenhunt had already said he was going to interview candidates this week but given the timing, it’s difficult not to think the possibilities in Pittsburgh (whether it is Keith Butler or Dick LeBeau or someone else) remain at the top of Whisenhunt’s list (or who knows, maybe even a Packers’ assistant). Why else would you have waited for an assistant on a team that didn’t make the playoffs (like the Dolphins)? If a playoff doesn’t work out, I could see Bowles (who obviously has been working with a 3-4 system).

Tags: , , , , , ,

28 Responses to “Bowles latest name in DC search”

1. By Ellis on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

Dolphins assistant head coach/secondary coach is not a bad move, in a division with Brady and a up and coming jets offense dolphins ranked, 14th in Pts allowed, 8th in pass yards allowed, 7th in rush yards allowed, and 6th in overall yards allowed.. It ain’t Dick LeBeau’s number 1 defense, but I’ll take moving up from 29th in overall yards allowed to potentially top 10.

2. By Jeff Gollin on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

Funny thing – When Bill Parcells comes in and does stuff (I’m thinking about a couple of drafts that left me shaking my head), I always underrate him only to discover that the outcomes of those moves are invariably successful.

And, up close and personal – at least from a fan’s standpoint – there’s Todd Haley – his experience here and his success as Chiefs HC.

Which suggests that we ought to have a lot of respect for the Parcells coaching tree and whatt the addition of Bowles might mean for the Cardinal defense.

3. By Mark in Chandler on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

Wolf noted this morning that he had been told through “sources” that Bowles interview blew Whisenhunt away.

4. By Darren Urban on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

Mark in —

RE: Bowles

Hey, maybe he will turn out to be the guy.

5. By Cardfan4life on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

Bowles would be a nice pick up. Quit wasting time on Steelers. LeBeau will retire and Butler will take his job.

6. By cards62 on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

Glad to see that they interview Bowles a good candidate for us, and we never know what will happen so I am glad Coach Whiz is dating a little fefore he gets married to a DC. Wish he would have did the same thing with a QB last year ha ha.

Steelers and Packers defensive coaches are just fine with me to, and Dick LeBeau would be awesome just awesome, He could pick his staff and coach up his replacement when he retired. Hopefully he would be our DC for 2 or 3 years.

Commissioner Goodell said he will lower his salary to $ 1 if we have a work stoppage. Well at least he will be motivated to iron out a new CBA for us fans. I just hope the owners get motived.

Darren I do not want an 18 game regular season and I do not think most fans want one either. I also think most fans are okay with 3 preseason games. What are your thoughts?

GO CARDS

7. By georgiebird on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

I hope it’s not Bowles. Year after year the “softest” defenses in football are the Dolphins, Chargers, Rams and Cardinals.
    For the guys still in play-my vote is LeBeau. He would be the most high profile and successful DC the Cardinals have ever had-by far. Even if it’s for only two years, LeBeau can begin to upgrade the D and groom someone like Butler for the 2013 season.
    The NFC West is still a very win-able division. Before the others get much better, it’s time to make some moves and spend some money.

8. By Darren Urban on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

cards62 —

RE: 18 games

Personally, I like the 16-game season. But I think 18 games is inevitable.

9. By Phoenixraven1 on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

I personally don’t care but as a season ticket holder paying for those crappy pre season games suck! Especially the fourth game which is a complete waste of time considering 85% of those who play get cut…

10. By jocards on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

I think 18 games is coming like it or not…..Oh boy, 5-13 sounds even worse than 5-11. No, let’s hope improvement is coming as well.

Darren – So you believe Bowles is more of a fallback option at this point?

11. By Darren Urban on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

jocards —

RE: DC

Since I think Whisenhunt would love to get one of the Pittsburgh guys — and since today, ESPN’s Chris Mortensen said he thinks LeBeau will “seriously consider” coming to Az — I’d say Bowles would be a fallback. But from what (very) little I know of him, seems like a good fallback.

12. By Pat on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

Darren, why do we think LeBeau would “seriously consider coming to Az?

13. By vsancards on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

Sorry, but for some odd reason, there has been a lot of prominent media saying they don’t want an 18 game season. I don’t get it. I would love to have 18 games and only 2 pre-season. Was there all this talk when they went from 14 to 16? The USFL played 18 and I don’t recall teams with half the roster on IR because of it. If I am going to pay for 10 home games, I would rather see 9 that count

14. By Darren Urban on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

Pat —

RE: LeBeau

We? Well, I can’t speak for you. Nor can I speak for Mort.

Obviously, it would seem, given what he has built in Pitt and the players he has and the success the organization has had, you’d think he would stay.

But he is close to Whisenhunt. The weather is better out here. It would be a new challenge.

Just because someone would “seriously consider” something doesn’t make it likely.

15. By jocards on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

Personally I have a difficult time believing that Dick LeBeau will be our next DC. It’s possible and I’d like for it to happen but I’ll believe it when it does happen. Hadn’t heard Bowles mentioned before today….but if Whisenhunt can’t land one of the guys from Pittsburgh maybe it’ll be “Super-Bowles”….uhh, bad.

16. By Brian R. on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

You know how happy I would be if we got Dick Lubeau on DC? Man, thats an instant playoff spot.

17. By Barry on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

Dick LeBeau ..um ya when cows fly…he’s is a steeler coach till he’s 6ft under.. I guarantee!

18. By jocards on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

LeBeau has apparently come out and said that if he coaches next season it’ll be in Pittsburgh….oh well.

19. By aitchem on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

What I saw was that LeBeau said that if he was coaching in Pennsylvania, it would be in Pittsburgh. This was in response to a reporter’s question about him moving on to the Eagles.

I think it’s unlikely too but wow, what a thought. Don’t care how old he is, the guy can still coach.

20. By Voice of Reason on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

LeBeau is an interesting pick because he is not under contract for next year. But I do think it is a longshot, given his comments today.

Bowles would be a good hire. He’d do wonders for our talented, but underperforming, secondary. He’d know how to use Wilson effectively.

For some reason, my gut just isn’t as excited about Keith Butler and ESPECIALLY NOT Pittsburgh’s secondary coach.

So with those names alone, I’d set my board as follows:

LeBeau (ideal, but unlikely)
    Bowles (depending on the likelihood of LeBeau, better act quickly here)
    Butler
    Others out there
    Pitt’s secondary coach

21. By 12Gage on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

On paper the Cards have amazing talent on the defensive side. What LeBeau could do mentally for the team might put our D over the top and finally make us a top 5 D like we expect from our guys… Who would be some of candidates from the packers? thanks. Love the articles, Im a daily reader

22. By cheesebeef on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

bowles as fallback would be solid. he’s from the parcells coaching tree and if it’s good enough for him, it’s good enough for me. that rhymes!

23. By Mike Ellingboe on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

@Voice,

I don’t know as much about Ray Horton as I should either, but when I consider how much different McFadden looked this year than last I can’t help but to think that he’s pretty good at coaching the secondary. Don’t know if I should be crediting him or LeBeau for seemingly always having Polamalu in the right position to maximize his big play ability but it does make me wonder how much AW might benefit from that knowledge. Granted, secondary play is much easier when you have Woodley and Harrison making life a constant hell for the QB but I don’t think I’d be too quick to dismiss Horton as a good choice for a DC. Imagine if he got the same improvement out of DRC as he did McFadden…

Not that I disagree with LeBeau being the most ideal of candidates, however unlikely that appears to be.

24. By cardsalltheway on Jan 27, 2011 | Reply

I think Ken W. is one of the most(if not the most) polarizing head coach in the NFL. For the life of me I don’t know who(with real talent) would really want to coach under him.

25. By cardsalltheway on Jan 27, 2011 | Reply

John Skelton would NOT have been PUNKED, or whatever after his fabulous performance during the 1st preseason come from behind victory/game against the Houston Texans in favor for Max Hall( Ken W.’s fella/undrafted rookie ) if there was an 18 game season in place this past season.

26. By RVT1000 on Jan 28, 2011 | Reply

I understand that Jeff Fisher might be looking for a job…………..

2. Jan 26, 2011: Tweets that mention Word From the Birds Blog -- Topsy.com