LeBeau says he wouldn’t go anywhere

Posted by Darren Urban on January 26, 2011 – 3:49 pm

It’s the up and down of the news cycle.

Earlier today, ESPN’s Chris Mortensen said in a chat he thought Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau would give the Cards’ DC job “serious consideration.” He even put the LeBeau-to-Arizona possibility at 50-50.

Then later today, LeBeau talked to the NFL Network and basically squashed that. “I promise you, if I’m coaching, it will be the Pittsburgh Steelers,” LeBeau said, leaving the opening for retirement with his “if I’m coaching” comment.

This story isn’t going away until a) the Cards hire someone (coach Ken Whisenhunt interviewed Dolphins assistant Todd Bowles yesterday) and/or the Steelers’ season ends and LeBeau (and Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler) are officially said to be off-limits. If that isn’t resolved, my guess is LeBeau hasn’t answered the question for the last time, with the NFL’s media decending on the Super Bowl next week.

P.S. Here’s the link to the story of Fitz flying two fans to Hawaii for the Pro Bowl — and by coincidence, one happens to be recovering from cancer.

P.P.S. We will do a live chat with QB John Skelton tomorrow at noon Arizona time.

Tags: , , ,

39 Responses to “LeBeau says he wouldn’t go anywhere”

1. By Voice of Reason on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

Bowles would be an interesting hire. Comes from the Parcells tree.

2. By Brian R. on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

Why the heck not? If I had the ability to coach and win superbowls I would love to go to an underdog team…

3. By Brian R. on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

In the NFL, its an HONOR to coach or play for any team.

4. By Scott H on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

No surprise here. No way this was going to happen. I understand that many of the coaches here have some connection – and in some cases, very good relationships with – Lebeau from their time together in Pittsburgh. Ok, fine. And it’s not like I have a crystal ball that tells me what will or what will not happen. This was just a simple matter of asking the simple question of why was Lebeau going to leave a near-perfect situation with the Steelers to come to Arizona??? The weather? Um…well, the weather is usually great in the citiies where they have the Super Bowls and the Steelers are a favorite to make that game every year! A new challenge? I’d say playing fierce rivals like the Ravens twice a year and playing teams like the Colts and Patriots every year in the playoffs probably never gets old. Put that up against playing the Rams and Seahawks twice a year and, well…I know where I would rather be! I just never saw a reason why this was going to happen. And I would love to see it happen. But it ain’t gonna. I think LeBeau himself has made that clear. Hey, at least he saved us from rampant speculation and getting our hopes up for nothing. So…the search ( AND THE WAIT ) goes on. I swear, why couldn’t the Jets have won that damn game last week so we could get to these friggin’ interviews??? Damn you, Rex Ryan…

5. By Eagle on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

I am not going to use the term “In Whiz we Trust”, but it sounds as though the thinking may be heading in the right direction. I was pretty confident that LeBeau would not be leaving Pittsburgh. That would have been a pipe dream. As for Keith Butler, depending on how much longer he is willing to wait fo LeBeau to retire, I believe he stays with the Steelers, unless of course the Cards organization offers him a deal he can’t turn down. That I highly doubt!! I am not sure who Todd Bowles is because of the fact that I don’t really follow the Dolphins, neither did I follow the redskins back in the day. However, if Whiz was excited about the interview and this coach was able to improve a defense that was so poorly ranked a year ago. As stated by voice of reason he does come the Bill Parcells tree. The organization needs to take what it can get now before it loses out and Bowles goes somewhere else and Butler decides to remain in Pittsburgh. However, it is not the coaches responsibility to read the defense, nor is it his job to wrap up and tackle or God forbid to actually play defense! DRC got burned more times than I care to remember. A-Dub cannot cover the faster receivers and tight ends. Rhodes was the best player this year on D. As for the rest of the defense, work needs to be done, but for the most part, the team needs to gel, which they did this last year kinda. Perhaps with one year under their belts as a complete defensive team they will be better next year. Finally, I believe Whiz needs to swallow his pride and hire an OC. He has said in the past that he did it last year without, true, but they also got embarrased by the Saints. The year of the Super Bowl, Todd Haley. Get an OC and be the head coach of the team. In as mush as I hate the Steelres or should I say certain players on the Steelers, Mike Tomlin has an opportunity to win his second SuperBowl and he has both an OC and DC. He coaches the team and he trusts other people to call the plays. To Coach Whiz, it’s time for a change!!

6. By TucsonTim on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

Like I said days ago, LeBeau isn’t going to humiliate himself and work for the Bidwills. Remember the shout out for McFadden in the HOF speach. Cardinals might as well be anti-matter when it comes to the Steelers.

7. By Chuck 1 on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

Eagle, don’t you realize that you shouldn’t write negative things about the Cards?
    It upsets some staunch fans. We are only supposed to write glowing comments.

8. By Pheenic Cromartie on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

He’s already won some Superbowls. He’s nearing retirement. He might win another Superbowl in a couple of weeks. Why not go to an underdog team, make their Defense good, and thus add to your “Best Defensive Coach” ever?

I mean, after you’ve had all this success in your career, wouldn’t it be sort of fun to Coach and underdog team that definitely has talent and has a chance to make the Playoffs? He has money. He has rings. He has success. Heck, he’s even in the HoF! I don’t see why he wouldn’t want to come to a team like the Cardinals.

9. By Ctownbeatdown on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

speach?

10. By Big Red on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

If Bowles can coach Defense, like he played with the Redskins then I’m all for it. He reminds me of Tony Dungy when he played for the Steelers and he might even (hoping) coach like Dungy. You got to start somewhere. Maybe, Arizona is the place. Again, (hoping). What do you think, Darren.

11. By vsancards on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

Tucson Tim, if you really feel that way about the Cards why do you follow them? If the immediate assumption is the organization is incompetent or unwilling to put a winner on the field, I know I wouldn’t bother.

That said, I do believe in the organization and the Bidwills. They have proven to me without a doubt they want to have a championship organization.

It may not be by the means that everyone wants but I feel in 20 years people will feel the same about the AZ Cards as they do the Steelers.

12. By Darren Urban on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

Big Red —

RE: Bowles

I think I don’t know much about him. I think I will wait and see, because in the end, that’s all I can do.

13. By wayne on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

Everyone knows we want to talk to Keith Butler after the Super Bowl but
    could we also be wanting to talk with one of Green Bay’s defensive coaches? Are the LB’s, Secondary, Def Line coaches highly regarded in GB and maybe are ready to be a DC? I don’t know to much about GB’s defensive coaches.

Thanks

14. By Pheenic Cromartie on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Vsancards on believing in the Bidwills. I don’t think that they’re the worst owners in the league. Look around. There are a ton of bad owners, and the Bidwills aren’t one of them. They stay out of the Coaches/FO way, and they dole out money to players who deserve it (Example: Darnell Dockett, and soon to be Fitz).

By the way, I just realized. Wouldn’t it be dumb for Dick LeBeau to say, “Yeah, I want to go to the Cardinals” right before the Super bowl? Maybe he said that he’s not leaving anywhere to get the reporters to stop asking him questions like that. Perhaps after the Superbowl, he’ll take back his statement. It makes sense if you think about it.

15. By John on Jan 27, 2011 | Reply

As usual with the Cardinals all this speculation and waiting will result in some mediocre selection at best. We have another season of the same or worse to look forward to.

16. By UC on Jan 27, 2011 | Reply

Glowing comments.
    Glowing comments.
    Glowing comments.

Hey Chuck 1, it works, I feel better already.

Oh..no…wait, I thought this thread was the announcement that King Whiz was being replaced by a good former Steelers coach.

17. By serge on Jan 27, 2011 | Reply

I think Butler is still in a contract after this season. Does anyone know for sure?

18. By Chuck 1 on Jan 27, 2011 | Reply

To: Tucson Tim, Eagle, UC (and other Cards fans who disagree with some of the decisions that the organization has made over the last year);
    The OPINION POLICE are after you to silence your voice.
    Don’t let it happen.

19. By jocards on Jan 27, 2011 | Reply

@ vsancards

“but I feel in 20 years people will feel the same about the AZ Cards as they do the Steelers”.

Really?!?!? Are you familiar with the history of this organization? I’ve been a fan since this team was playing in St. Louis and I admire your optimism but that is a huge hill to climb. The Steelers have won 6 Super Bowls and will perhaps add to that total. Nobody is going to feel the same about the AZ Cards as they do about the Steelers anytime soon I promise you.

20. By B-Rad on Jan 27, 2011 | Reply

I am ok with not getting Dick. Actually, kind of tired of the Steeler re-treads coming to AZ.

21. By Darren Urban on Jan 27, 2011 | Reply

Wayne —

RE: Green Bay

I suppose it’s possible but I have not heard anything along those lines.

22. By Darren Urban on Jan 27, 2011 | Reply

Serge —

RE: Butler

My understanding is that Butler is under contract for 2011.

23. By D on Jan 27, 2011 | Reply

Def Cord. Will come down between Horton vs Bowles.
    If the Cards stay at #5 in draft, it will come down between V. Miller vs R.Quinn.

Packers 34- Steelers 21

24. By Chuck 1 on Jan 27, 2011 | Reply

I’m shocked, ABSOLUTELY SHOCKED, that Dick LeBeau plans to remain with the Steelers instead of coming to the Cards!!!

25. By drumm-1 on Jan 27, 2011 | Reply

To all cardinals fans please ignore the ignorance of others who just want to start problems on this board and maybe they will go away..Fingers CROSSED

26. By Ditship on Jan 27, 2011 | Reply

I’m not shocked about LeBeau saying he’s staying with the Steelers.. I’m interested to see where this takes our status with Butler though.

I think we’ll get the right guy. I still haven’t heard anyhting about an OC though.. and I do think we should go that rout as well.. but we’ll see.

27. By Chuck 1 on Jan 27, 2011 | Reply

All you fans who disagree with the decisions and actions of Graves, Whiz and the Scouting Department over the last year, OBEY drumm-1 (and other comment “regulators”) and mind your own business.

Conformity of opinion is required.

28. By Chuck 1 on Jan 27, 2011 | Reply

Oh, BTW, how do you fans who would like Graves and Whiz to do things a little differently, feel about being called “IGNORANT”?

29. By drumm-1 on Jan 27, 2011 | Reply

@Chuck 1, you must be guilty or someyhing i didn’t mention any names but you responded,and just like you have your opinion i have mine, so as you say MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS….

30. By Scott H on Jan 27, 2011 | Reply

vsancards –

RE: Your statement that in 20 years, people will feel the same about the Cardinals as they do about the Steelers….

Does this mean that the Cardinals will be winning 7, maybe 8 Super Bowls in the next 20 years??? Because that is pretty much what they would have to do to be thought of as being in the same stratosphere as the Steelers. Really! I’m not being a wise-ass, I think that is what they – or anyone else – would have to do. The Steelers organization is synonomous with championships. Period. Because that is what they do – they win championships. No team gets to be in their league until or unless they have done the same. Sad to say, the Cardinals are nowhere near the neighborhood where the Steelers live.

As a Cardinals fan, I will sincerely hope that you are right! But I think you went a little too far out on the limb with this one…

31. By TucsonTim on Jan 27, 2011 | Reply

vsancards –

Are you M Bidwill? If so, I’d like a refund for my season tickets for a non competetive team which you promised would not happen after you robbed Univ of Phoenix of 150 mil.

Steelers west, no; Bengals west, yes. All about the owners.

32. By Scott H on Jan 28, 2011 | Reply

Tucson Tim –

Have to admit, the “Bengals west” comment was pretty damn funny! lol

33. By Chuck 1 on Jan 28, 2011 | Reply

Mr. drumm-1,
    The only thing that I’m guilty of is disagreeing with what Graves and Whiz have done over the last year.
    Apparently, I made a serious error in not writing at a level that you could understand.
    When I wrote “mind your own business”, I was reminding unruly and opinionated fans (like me) to not litter this web site with their misguided comments and suggestions regarding the Cards’ decisions and actions.
    I would NEVER EVER tell you to “mind your own business” because you have every right to give us your valuable comments and opinions.

34. By UC on Jan 30, 2011 | Reply

@drumm-1

A 5-11 season, precipitated by a monumentally stupid personnel decision by your beloved King Whiz, started the problem. However, I’m not surprised that the “same old Cardinals fans” such as yourself are willing to ignore and excuse King Whiz’s abject display of personal pettiness, unprofessionalism, and incompetence. As such, some of us in the fanbase feel the need to let Michael Bidwill know that we will not be appeased by laughably nonsensical excuses from the head coach, and kid-glove coverage from the local media, when we see the organization making brain-dead decisions that just WASTE the talent of the players on the team.

With all due respect to the brain-dead.

35. By drumm-1 on Jan 30, 2011 | Reply

@UC, i’m a loyal fan, not one that whats to start all over because a teams new coach had 1 bad season out 4,name me a cardinals coach that had a winning record after 4 yrs here in the last 15yrs,you can’t none of them made it pass 3 years. who said i was ignoring are excusing every bad dicision Whiz makes, i’m not makeing a kneejerk reaction about firing him like some of you do,getting rid of LEINART was a smart thing..Same old cards fan is you for wanting to fire a coach for a bad dicision..I know lets fire him and the next coach we get if he doesn’t make the playoffs his first year lets get rid him too, now thats a way to build a team..

36. By UC on Jan 31, 2011 | Reply

@drumm-1,

You seem to think you’re getting mileage out of your generalized claim that we want King Whiz fired for not making the playoffs. Personally, I no longer care what record King Whiz produces next year, what I care about is that the man has revealed just how personally petty he is, how unprofessional he is, and how incompetent he is. Furthermore, the man tries to hide all of this behind a persona of supposed firm integrity, which is a joke. I don’t want to have any current or future Cardinals players to have to put up with kind of crap, so I want him gone.

And your claim that cutting Leinart was a good idea, even though it resulted in 11 losses and not making the playoffs in possibly the worst division in football since realignment, only proves the level of screwed up thinking you same old Cardinals fans have.

37. By drumm-1 on Jan 31, 2011 | Reply

If you can prove to me that we would have had a better record with Leinart i will admit that i was wrong, but you like myself have no way of proving that, so you should have not made that statement..Are you saying your dislike for Whiz is because of leinart,to me thats personal and petty, when you don’t even know either one of them..have a wonderful day…

2. Jan 27, 2011: Word From the Birds Blog
  3. Feb 1, 2011: Word From the Birds BlogAt the Super Bowl, DC subject comes up «